Afraid to Un-Dream

Personal

I wish I was better keeping a journal. I do, however, have a book that surfaces when I travel. A small, paperbound book filled with thick paper and my penmanship dresses quite a few pages. JD’s too. Our travelogue, of sorts. I opened it a few nights ago by chance and came across a post from New Year’s 2010, almost a year ago to the day. The entry chronicles life as it was in New Zealand, and the predicts how we’d ring in the New Year. It also had a list of goals. As I read back through the entry, I laughed.

JD is sitting in the other room with Polo right now. The house is freezing, I should probably turn on the heater. But I look back at the book.

This year appeared nothing like I imagined it would. My goals–as sincere as they were at the time–missed a major component: Dreaming. On the list were items I’d feel great to scratch off and think to myself Look! What! I! Accomplished! But none of them dared me to fail at something. Thankfully, opportunities came my way to remind me the value of risk, but I’m disappointed I didn’t challenge myself before. To be honest, I was afraid.

A few nights ago, I sat down with that book and created a list of goals for 2011 and made sure I was afraid. Afraid to un-dream. Because one thing I’ve learned this past year is in the darkness of dreams, strength is revealed and passion takes flight…

My dreams and goals will stay privately tucked away in this book for a while, but I hope one day I can look back and be satisfied with daring to dream and failing. Or, better yet, succeeding.

comments

1. Darla Sutton

December 30th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Amen to that sister!

2. Riz Crescini

December 30th, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I’ll be dreaming big along with you in 2011. Happy New Year!

3. Robert Cincinnati

December 30th, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Thank you Jasmine for once again being a great inspiration and for reminding me that being afraid is OK. I wish you and JD a Happy New Year and a great year of Un-afraidness!

4. Leela

December 30th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Really should do that before tomorrow.. good call. I was 25 last time I wrote one. It was all about me and now, goals would be all about them. Thank goodness for 10 years more of life.

5. Mel

December 30th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Heart you Jasmine! I am right there with you . . .dreams are being made reality…and it all begins with a choice to dream in the first place.
    Happy New Year 2011 . . . take the risk . . . take flight . . . and know there are so many of us beside you . . . along for the journey . . .also striving for passion and the life we are called to live. God Bless! 🙂

6. Chantae Whitaker

December 30th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Jasmine, I hope your 2011 is as great as your 2010 was! Happy New Year to you and JD. I pray that when I meet you in College Station next month, I can get one picture, puleaze!!! See, I’ve already shared one of my dreams with you!! 🙂

7. Sandra

December 30th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

How’d you get so smart at such a young age?

8. Michelle Smith

December 30th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I. Love. This. Post!!!

Thank you so much for inspiring me to be who I know I can be.. As a person and as a professional!

Thank you!!!

9. Jessica Turner

December 30th, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I’ve been afraid of dreaming too and taking risks. The other day I decided I did not want that to happen again either. I’m tired of worrying about what "might" happen. Ah, the big "what if;" it scares away many a worthy opponent. My husband put a magnet in my stocking this year that I absolutely love and want to live by in 2011 – "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt. So here’s to a riskier, scarier, passion-filled 2011!

10. Maria

December 30th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Loved the post! Thanks for encouraging us all to dream along with you. Happy New Year to you, JD and Polo!
    ** See you soon at the Workshop!!! =)

11. Cyndi Farrare

December 30th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." -Les Brown

12. Charisse

December 30th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I needed to read this today Jasmine as 2010 comes to an end. I actually woke up today clothed in the places of "failure" reminded of where my goals from last year fell short of their friution, and I almost chose to not set new goals this year. Sadly, Afraid to dream and fall short again.

This was the confirmation I needed not to do that and to also add a measure of real challenge combined with big dreams. To trust that my hearts desires is in God’s will for my life. Thanks for sharing again.

May 2011 come in with vigor & excitement for all who desire to meet the challenge!

13. Nicole Firestone

December 30th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Jasmine. Your humility and grace is beyond admirable. As I read your posts I can’t help but to be inspired by your energy and attitude. More importantly, I think you help people become the best version of themselves. All the best in 2011.

14. LEOLAK

December 30th, 2010 at 4:50 pm

So cool….I’m going to make my 2011 list…rather get it out of my head and on to paper….and succeed or fail…b/c I’m tired of my status quo! Here’s to all the best in 2011..for you..me and all of us aspiring for more!

15. Michelle Feeney

December 30th, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Jasmine. This is a great reminder as I jump into the deep end of my own 2011 pool of thoughts, goals and dreams. 🙂

16. Erin Lassahn

December 30th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Beautifully written Jasmine!

17. Hannah

December 30th, 2010 at 4:58 pm

You are so amazing. I pray that one day I can have all that you have. You success is an amazing story. Thank you for opening my eyes in 2010 of what "could be"

18. Mary Topolski

December 30th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Hi Jasmine. As I read this I begin to reflect on my own dreams and goals and I went, "huh!" By these simple reflections you have not only inspired me but also it presents a challenge for me to really put it in gear! Thanks Jasmine.

19. Claudia

December 30th, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Really nice post.

20. Karen Taggart

December 30th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I’ve never made a Goals for the New Year list, which is odd since I make lists of everything, but I think I’m going to. Fear holds me back. I am my own worst enemy. I’ve been planning for and learning about my biz for so long that I think I’m afraid to fully dive in head first. 2011 is the year! Do or die. At least I’ll know I tried.

21. Annie

December 30th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Jasmine! What an inspiring post. Thank you to dare me to dream and un-dream!

22. Christy

December 30th, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Something tells me you’ll reach those dreams Jas…

23. Melissa

December 30th, 2010 at 6:01 pm

You are an extraordinary person!!! Some of your posts throughout this year have given me the courage to put my goals into action. Since I have found your blog I like to think I have become a better person. A stronger person. I am no longer afraid to go out and try new things or work harder on the things I want to excel at. You truly are a "STAR". I am thankful for you!!!

December 30th, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I definitely failed reaching for some of my goals this year, but the progress I made while climbing far surpasses anything I could have dreamed!

25. angel canary

December 30th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I know that you and jd will not only have a fantastic year, but that you will help thousands of other photographers have a fantastic year. You are such an inspiration, truly. I wish you both a happy and blessed new year. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you both. 😉

26. Joanne

December 30th, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Fantastic post Jasmine… thank you for bravely putting it out there – consistently. I have been listening to your creative live course while I paint during my week away from the day job. I am extremely inspired right now. Thank you.

27. Bobbie Brown

December 30th, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Love this. By the way, do you think you could possibly add a "save my info" box to your blog for commentors?! I feel like I type my info in all the time! haha!

28. cassandra-m

December 30th, 2010 at 7:26 pm

KEEP INSPIRING girl!!! Love this post. Your open and honestly encourages others to DREAM!!!!

29. anda

December 30th, 2010 at 7:51 pm

love this.

30. Nat

December 30th, 2010 at 8:15 pm

What a wonderful reminder =) I’ve been avoiding writing down my own goals because I know I want to challenge myself! Once it’s written down, for me, it might as well be etched in stone. Here goes 😉

31. Jessica Chavez

December 30th, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I absolutely LOVE this post!! Yesterday I sat down to write a To Do List of what I have to do before the year is over, and I still have a couple of hours to get them done 🙂 But this post challenged me to actually write my goals, make a list, check it once in a while to add more, but more importantly to be bold and dream! Thank you for reminding me to DREAM!! Happy New Year!! XOXO

32. Kimberly

December 30th, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Totally know how you feel. I just bought a journal to write my goals into, I was watching Dane Sanders Live the other day and he was talking about making declarations. Well girl- you’ve solidified what I new in my heart. You’re the bomb 🙂 Cheers to 2011!!!

33. Sara Lando

December 30th, 2010 at 9:55 pm

when I watched you at creativelive there was this little thing about setting goals that got stuck in my head. The husband and I are setting goals for 2011.
    Time to dream big and behave accordingly.
    I really wish you an amazing 2011, Jasmine!

34. Wendy

December 30th, 2010 at 10:15 pm

To un-dream. Wow.. this post, as simple as it was written, makes a powerful statement. It gave me the same tingly feelings I felt when I was in 1st grade and had to get up on stage and perform on a last minutes notice because the kid who was supposed to do it, chickened out. I was a shaky mess but afterwards – I was proud of myself. I’ve been living in a safe and comfortable place for years. It’s time I challenge myself and better my photography. Thank you!

35. Amy Jo

December 30th, 2010 at 11:02 pm

You have helped me want to dream big since you did the creativelive workshop. That event changed my entire outlook on failure, and that I would rather fail at something I went out on a limb and tried, than live a life wondering what could have been. Thanks Jasmine!

36. Jenna Danelle

December 30th, 2010 at 11:23 pm

As I find myself suddenly unemployed today, a photography business just barely developed and not at a place to take off just yet, I so desperately hope to dream that this is my chance to run with it… Fear doesn’t begin to describe it right now… But I am a bigger believer that everything happens for a reason, I have faith. Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart with us, it is a little light in the darkness that tried to come about. Strange it finds that it is up for a fight, as I am dreaming big right now! *hugs*

37. Renee

December 30th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Thanks for this post, it’s just what I needed to hear ~ Dreaming of success, feeling the fear & just going for it !

38. Parv

December 31st, 2010 at 12:57 am

You have a way with words that truly reaches the heart. Thank you for yet another wonderful post, and here’s wishing you and JD only the very best for 2011.

39. Nicole Benitez

December 31st, 2010 at 1:46 am

Dreaming aloud {or at least on paper} is also my biggest 2011 Resolution of sorts. The fear to fail flutters rapidly in my heart, but I would love to put it to the test and dream aloud this year and see where it takes me. Thanks for the reminder to dream in the New Year!

40. Kim Pace

December 31st, 2010 at 2:32 am

Your "personal" posts always have something in them that makes me reflect within. And that is the number one reason your blog is ‘da bomb.. 🙂

41. Kelsey {Las Vegas Wedding Photographer}

December 31st, 2010 at 6:14 am

Love this! So very true must dream and shoot high!

42. Christina Hastings

December 31st, 2010 at 7:03 am

Mmm, yes, I love that! Keep dreamin’ Jasmine!

43. Andria L.

December 31st, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Beautifully stated. Best wishes for a Blessed and exceedingly successful 2011!

44. Marissa Rodriguez

December 31st, 2010 at 9:45 pm

You are amazing. That is all.

45. Chelsea

January 1st, 2011 at 1:39 am

I guess instead of making a goal for this year to be less afraid, I should include things that make me afraid and then do them anyway. Perfect. Inspirational. You totally rock.

46. Holli True

January 1st, 2011 at 6:36 pm

LOVE this post! I recently posted on twitter that "failure scares me, but failure to try scares me more". I firmly believe that. Dreaming is so healthy and vital for the soul. Though some dreams may never come to life, they will always live inside of us. 🙂

47. annaliza

January 3rd, 2011 at 1:01 am

haha. i love that you get it. i recently heard from a lecture that opulent people talk about their failures and not their wealth. i sat down and written 10 goals (mixed with 2 dreams) for 2011 as if they’ve already happened. it’s empowering. you’re the best!

48. Lloyed Valenzuela

January 3rd, 2011 at 2:14 am

Very Inspiring. Im a big fan of you blog/site.

Thanks JS!!! Happy New Year.

49. amanda thiessen

January 3rd, 2011 at 5:33 pm

here’s to dreaming big! cheers!

50. Becky Trejo

January 3rd, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Thank you so much for this post! Last week, I walked out on the balcony of our room (on our cruise of the Mexican Riviera) at two in the morning. It was pitch black. And unexpectedly startling. It sounds silly, but I wanted to duck back in the room and jump back under the covers with my husband. It was overwhelming and scary, frankly, to feel so extremely small. And to feel, so acutely, my human condition. But something stopped me and I stayed standing there on the balcony. I told myself to feel it. Live in it. Be scared for a second. Because I need to get acquainted with that feeling. I need to make friends with my fears so I can push through them. Otherwise, my fear of failure will keep me from reaching any higher, keep me from being what I want to be…I’m home from the cruise now, so thank you for reminding me to be okay with being afraid. Afraid to un-dream. I needed that today.

51. Stacy Cross

January 3rd, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I LOVE this post, Jas. It’s so real, so raw, and I identify with it SO much. I’m in the middle of journaling goals for 2011 and you’ve reminded me to think BIG and outside the boring ole box. Thanks girl!

52. Justine Ray

January 4th, 2011 at 4:40 am

This is so great, Jasmine! I think there are too many of us who are too scared to even think about the possibility of a dream… and the potential to miss the mark. Thank you. It has been on my heart to make a list, and to really dream, and your post is confirmation.
    You’re amazing and I love love love your blog (sorry David Jay, but her blog rocks!).
    Much love