All Up In Their Grill

All Up In Their Grill

Photography

I blame my father. Entirely. He is the reason I’m a touchy, feely person and the type of kid who had to be shown what to do, instead of being told. Shown how to wash the dishes (when, in reality, I didn’t want to dirty my hands), shown how to make my bed (fitted sheets are still the bane of my existence), and shown how to study for a test (cut me some slack, I was homeschooled until I was 14 so I had no clue was standardization was!). I seem to have carried this trait with me through life, and my clients are the people who carry the brunt of this load.

When I work with my clients, I have a tendency to get up close, all up in their grill. I apologize in advance for touching, grabbing, pulling, tugging at them in order to show them what I want them to do. Sometimes when I posing with the groom, I get quite close. And while this could make for a too-close-for-comfort moment, I immediately brush it off and make a joke of it. I remind the bride my husband shoots with me, so I ain’t tryin’ to steal her man…I’m merely guiding her along in what I think would make the best photo. Of course I could tell her what to do, but this could take forever, become commandive (FYI, just made up that word), and frustrating for the subjects. I’m definitely not suggesting this approach for everyone, but I can definitely say it’s helped my photographic vision.

And instead of me telling you what I do, I thought I’d show you a few photos…be warned…I look so cool in these photos your eyes may just melt with awesomeness.

Thanks to Lyra for the following photos…

Looks like I’m singing in this photo.

Look how happy the groom (Jack) is to be standing next to me instead of his bride! πŸ˜‰

Whoever let me leave the house like this should be banished from Jasmineville. I mean, seriously?! This just proves my HUSBAND DOESN’T LOVE ME. Look how he let me go into public?! It’s all his fault I look THIS amazing…..

Happy Tuesday!

comments

1. Ben -

Nice work!

10.27.09 - 4:49 pm

2. Kelly Brown -

haha! thanks, jasmine! fyi..i think you totally look cute in the last picture!

10.27.09 - 4:51 pm

3. Rachel Fesko -

So glad to know that I’m not the only one that does this… Swear to God I freak some people out. Maybe it’s my inner "homeschooler" coming out too! Thx J*

10.27.09 - 4:52 pm

4. Carlos Bruno -

Jasmine … Jasmine … Jasmine …
    With ALL my respects to your hubby, you’re gorgeous even though with that cucumber masks and towels on the head, granny robe and cottons between the toes … I mean, YOU ARE, but I won’t like to see you like that … hehehehe.

10.27.09 - 4:55 pm

5. yan pamer -

oh jasmine this post was cracking me up. your sessions look kind of like boot camp… and you’re all the more lovable because of it.

10.27.09 - 4:59 pm

6. Terri -

You are too Cute!

10.27.09 - 5:05 pm

7. Chris c. -

These are great! : ))

10.27.09 - 5:11 pm

8. stacy Landry -

I am the same way and I’m always apologising(can’t spell to save my life) for roughing them up so to speak, trying to put them in whatever pose i have in my mind,my husband shoots with me also. I’m so glad you posted this.

10.27.09 - 5:12 pm

9. ohana photographers -

AWE-SOME!!!

10.27.09 - 5:23 pm

10. Melissa @ Whooo's That Girl -

I love that you posted this! I enjoy seeing how people work it behind the scenes!

10.27.09 - 5:25 pm

11. ohana photographers - kimi -

ok, that last pic of you made me smile big! love it!

10.27.09 - 5:26 pm

12. Jenny Duffy -

Hahaa! I always just tell people I’m about to invade their personal space πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 5:26 pm

13. Betzography" -

I’m all about the tugging, pulling, sitting, standing and bending them like their Gumby and Pokey.

And normally I’d say pssh you always look fabulous but hmm. Had to be a horrible camera angle… but that last photo just doesn’t look like you at all!

10.27.09 - 5:26 pm

14. michelle cunningham -

omg you look so suave in that first photo. lol.

10.27.09 - 5:26 pm

15. Benita -

hahaha….. I sometimes even straddle them!!! LoL Luckily I have the best clients ever who see the joke and the reason behind it all. πŸ˜€ Glad to see we’re in the same boat. xox

10.27.09 - 5:30 pm

16. Courtney -

i am exactly the same way.
    i start to explain then can’t get it out and just say "oh my gosh let me just show you" LMAO
    glad I am not the only one!

10.27.09 - 5:31 pm

17. Regina White -

Girl I thought I was the only one who still used this phrase "All up in my grill" LOL. It’s okay your all up in their grills. You produce irriplaceable images U got-sta do what U got-sta do. Love the face by the way! JD is so crackin up when he shoots these faces on you isn’t he?

10.27.09 - 5:32 pm

18. anda -

Thanks for posting these! First, you still look great in the last photo. Second, I would love to see the shot that resulted from the last photo, because I can’t for the life of me figure out what you are demonstrating for her to do!! Hahaha — I love it πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 5:32 pm

19. Andrea -

These gave me a nice laugh! Love the ones of the groom rolling his eyes… saves time to just show them directly!

10.27.09 - 5:32 pm

20. steph -

You’re in good company! My sister spoke to the entire youth group at my church and told them how touchy-feely I am. She claims that calling me out enhanced her message. Let’s just say I got more than a few snickers (not the candy-I wish!) thrown my way. πŸ˜‰

10.27.09 - 5:33 pm

21. lauryn -

thank you for making me laugh out loud at work! our wedding photographer (you know her, katelyn james! a future bride of yours!) was trying to show me how to pose next to my husband and for .002356 seconds i thought to myself, what is she doing?!

10.27.09 - 5:34 pm

22. andrea blair -

I love seeing you in action! I can relate to the getting close, laughing and cracking jokes.I think they are actually laughing at me…but I’m okay with that!

10.27.09 - 5:36 pm

23. anda -

(part 2) — ooooo, now i think i get it!! at first i thought you might be teaching her how to Vogue or something … but you were probably showing her how to lean into her man and put her hand on his face. i guess i’m someone that needs to hear the actual instructions, too πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 5:37 pm

24. Naomi Elle -

oh J*, THANK YOU! I am in the ‘genesis’ of my photography learning experience… and this post opened my eyes! When I direct verbally, I stutter and say "ummm" and generally look stupid… and never accomplish the look that’s in my head.

Showing is better than telling. Any day.

10.27.09 - 5:38 pm

25. Kristi Wright -

This is a great post…very funny. I love the groom’s expressions. Does every groom look like they’d rather be watching football than doing photos? Show me one guy who is super into it. πŸ™‚ Cute stuff!

10.27.09 - 5:42 pm

26. Stephanie Stewart -

Love these photos, and yes, much easier to show us, rather than tell us about these! I put my head on the shoulder of my friend’s hubby this weekend during their family shoot to show them how to pose, and I immediately apologized to both, but it was agreed it was much faster and easier to show them rather than tell them exactly what to do!

10.27.09 - 5:43 pm

27. Miz Booshay -

I love you. You make me laugh.

I am pretty bossy when I am shooting. I do not want to see what I look like.

10.27.09 - 5:43 pm

28. Michelle sidles -

I’m with Anda… I want to see the last photo with the bride & groom cause I have NO IDEA where that one is going!! hahaha!!!

10.27.09 - 5:44 pm

29. Alej Keigan -

This is great! I’m the same way as far as my learning and teaching anything I care about goes. Watching you do it, I realize it’s high energy which I think it means we’re really passionate about the thing we’re showing. Thanks for sharing!

10.27.09 - 5:48 pm

30. kristin @ the treasured petal -

haha! these are hilarious Jasmine! the looks on the brides’ faces are priceless.

10.27.09 - 5:53 pm

31. Christina -

you and I are alot alike, Jasmine…thanks for making me feel normal!

10.27.09 - 5:53 pm

32. Andrea MariΓ±o -

hahaha I love the singing one! It reminds me "let’s play in the forest" song πŸ™‚
    Happy Tuesday for you too πŸ™‚
    You’re awesome πŸ™‚

Ps: look at the brides’s faces!

10.27.09 - 5:57 pm

33. Trey Bohon Photography -

Simply Jasmine, Simply GREAT! = )

10.27.09 - 5:58 pm

34. Sandra -

OMG, this post actually makes me want to take one of your workshops more than ever! *lol* I’d love to see you live acting with your clients! Unfortunately I’m born on the other side of the world though…nevermind.. πŸ˜‰
    Greetings from Austria πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 6:02 pm

35. B -

Sister, it’s homeschooled (one word) and it’s past tense (ends with an -ed). Love, The Editor xoxo

10.27.09 - 6:03 pm

36. Chelsea McGowan -

Oh gosh, I do the exact same thing. Just this morning I had to apologize for getting "all up on" someone during an engagement session!!! But hey, it gets the job done, right?

10.27.09 - 6:06 pm

37. Raquita -

I haven’t commented in a long time over here but I had to on this one cause I do this all the time.. I even stand in as the groom, which always makes for snickers from the guys and sassy comments. i even tend to use my 2nd shoot as a stand in and make the model what we are trying to achieve with our clients – lately my 2nd has been a married guy so hes used to be bossed around a bit =0)

10.27.09 - 6:08 pm

38. Larry Reeves -

It’s true…my eyes melted with awesomeness!

10.27.09 - 6:09 pm

39. Diane - www.sagephoto.com -

I love that you are cool with showing us your true self and how you work. It’s inspiring….and you look great doing it.

10.27.09 - 6:16 pm

40. tracy -

ha ha. Your bride in the first photo is thinking, ‘woman, hands off my man or I’m gonna have to bop you one’

10.27.09 - 6:21 pm

41. Mallory -

i’m a fan of being all up in their grill for a good shot! hahah

10.27.09 - 6:22 pm

42. Brittany -

This is such a great post, and your awesomeness is truly melting my eyes! You really are so great and I’m sure your clients love you to death and are totally comfortable with your hands on posing. I always try to say what I want them to do and am always surprised by how i make no sense whatsoever. I think I need to try your method!

Thanks Jasmine!

10.27.09 - 6:23 pm

43. Gareth Robins -

This is your best post yet πŸ™‚ JD, You rock, but had better do some greasing for that last photo.

10.27.09 - 6:35 pm

44. Carrie K -

It’s wonderful to see how you work! Do you tend to wear all black to weddings? What shoes have you found to be comfortable for an entire day of following brides around?

10.27.09 - 6:44 pm

45. QueenAnneMama -

I find that you were homeschooled till 14 fascinating. I’ve been following your blog for a couple years, and you are still my all-time favorite photographer. You do exactly what I am trying to learn to do and I turn to your blog for inspiration constantly. I was hoping you’d be willing to talk a bit more about your homeschool experience – how it shaped your drive, initiative to follow your dreams, challenges in ‘regular’ school, and so on? I grew up in regular public school but recently decided to homeschool my children, who are kindergarten age now. Homeschooling is fascinating to me and the more I can learn (from those with experience with it, from both sides) the better. I’d be especially interested in how it effected YOU, since I admire you so much. I want my children to have the willingness/time/drive/opportunity to follow their dreams, whatever they are.

Thank you!

10.27.09 - 6:46 pm

46. pREMA BUCK -

Haha….I am the same EXACTLY! Too funny…hey the clients love it anyways πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 6:53 pm

47. JulieLim -

LOL! Thank you for this post and a good laugh! You really are the best! You rocks!

10.27.09 - 7:00 pm

48. Bobbie Brown -

Hahahah! I LOVE these!!! I am the same way, I go ahead and pre-apologize to my clients most of the time, because I know I am going to get all ‘up in their grill’!

10.27.09 - 7:05 pm

49. Vivien -

I love your blog! Seriously, if I ever get married, you would be first pick as photographer. These pictures are great and it’s awesome to see a photographer involved to get the best shot.

10.27.09 - 7:10 pm

50. Tira J -

Ha ha! I laughed out loud with this post! Oh Jasmine, you are so silly sometimes! Troy is looking at you like you are crazy! And Stephanie is saying, um, let go of my husband! I do this with all of my clients as well, and since I shoot a lot of seniors, they love the new moves! πŸ™‚ Good thing David isn’t always with me to document it.

10.27.09 - 7:13 pm

51. ernst -

I tried right clicking and saving an image. Pretty interesting file names! Jasmine, were you swearing at the bride-to-be in the last shot?

10.27.09 - 7:16 pm

52. shubhinetwork -

nice blog ,thank u for telling about this it will really help others.
    Spa Gift Basket–Spa Gift Basket

10.27.09 - 7:16 pm

53. Char Baiz -

these are awesome! I think I’ll use your approach at my next session πŸ˜‰

10.27.09 - 7:41 pm

54. Christy - O Photography -

I love, love, love that you shared this. I can totally relate. I also talk with my hands! I constantly gently touch people in general…just to let them know that i understand and care about what is being said. My husband thinks I am weird πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 7:45 pm

55. Evie Smith -

Can I just say, I think you’re so funny and I love it that you have an awesome sense of humor….this is way I keep coming back to your blog, great pics and your just real when you write. love it:)

10.27.09 - 7:47 pm

56. michelle c. -

Gotta love this! I’ve found that I have to do the same thing with my clients. My words don’t quite work… I can’t figure out how to TELL people what I’m looking for, so I have to jump right in and have them mimic me. Woo-hoo! I thought I was totally WEIRD for doing this. Thanks for making me feel like less of a dork! ; )

10.27.09 - 7:51 pm

57. Detrick Branston -

hard to write as my eyes have melted from melt with awesomeness – haha! you have that magic touch J and i’m sure your clients don’t mind you up in their grill. props to homeschooling! you’re a good example that i does work.

10.27.09 - 7:53 pm

58. Tacey -

You crack me up girl! I do have a question for your awsomeness….I see you don’t use a camera strap (around your neck) but do you use one on your wrist??? I’m too clutsy to not secure my camera to something…How ’bout you?

10.27.09 - 7:57 pm

59. Brian Fletcher -

LOL @ that first shot…..that is awesome.

10.27.09 - 8:04 pm

60. MelissaF -

I love the behind-the-scenes posts. These are the true candids πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 8:10 pm

61. Stephanie Rose -

Haha. I adore you! I also love seeing "behind the scene" pictures of photogs.

10.27.09 - 8:15 pm

62. Daniel Elgan -

J*- This is a great post if you are a female…what are us guys supposed to do to get the ladies looking their best….LOL

10.27.09 - 8:33 pm

63. crystal -

This is why I must continue to blogstalk! Love the post.

10.27.09 - 8:44 pm

64. amy boring -

bwahhahahah. I love it. It’s so true. I love all of the awkward going on in these shots. the important part is that you pull it off….your way.

10.27.09 - 8:54 pm

65. Feuza -

This is so helpful, I have actually seen you do this before and I think it rocks! I love how you engage in curves, poses and you show them what to do

10.27.09 - 8:55 pm

66. Khristen -

i’m sooo glad I’m not the only one that looks crazy πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 8:56 pm

67. Britney -

This is awesome! I’m glad to know even a super-duper photog like yourself does this…I do too. I find it hard to convey what my vision is to my clients…so I just get in there an show ’em!

10.27.09 - 8:56 pm

68. Lana -

OMG! I just got so excited. 3rd picture down- I think I have those exact same earrings! Are they kind of like a burnt-gold huge disc? I will be so excited if I own something similar to you J*, since you are the most stylish photographer ever.

10.27.09 - 9:14 pm

69. Anouschka -

LOL love this post Jasmine!

10.27.09 - 9:48 pm

70. Christina Gressianu -

These are so funny! I love the bride and groom expressions while you’re showing them stuff.

10.27.09 - 9:49 pm

71. Karen -

Love this! =]

10.27.09 - 9:53 pm

72. Rima -

lol you are funny bones! I do the same with my bride and groom, but err maybe not so close?! Instead Ive created a contact sheet full of different poses that I can to refer to when I have a mental block, and also I can show the bride and groom what pose I’m trying to achieve

10.27.09 - 9:53 pm

73. Alejandra Arroyo -

HAA! Love the title to this post!

10.27.09 - 9:56 pm

74. Cindy -

Haha Love it! I am actually the same way and prefer to be shown rather than just told. So,I hear ya sister!

10.27.09 - 9:57 pm

75. Chris -

@ Daniel Elgan: Think Jerry Ghionis and you’ll be all set.

10.27.09 - 10:10 pm

76. Deyla Huss -

Halarious!!! Gotta love the Bloopers!

10.27.09 - 10:36 pm

77. Jeni -

I soo do this too…so much easier than telling them what i want from them. i do enough talking through any shoot as it is. i’m sure they appreciate it more too. and even for family or bridal party portraits. i just apologize at the beginning that i may have to man handle some of them. happy tuesday to you too!

10.27.09 - 10:36 pm

78. Pua -

I love it! I’m always trying to EXPLAIN how I want someone to pose – maybe the real trick is get "all up in their grill" – LOL! πŸ˜‰

10.27.09 - 11:32 pm

79. Christa -

I thought I was the only one who invaded their clients personal space….lol…Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

10.27.09 - 11:33 pm

80. Amber Katrina -

I love seeing your behind the scenes posts. I’ve always wanted to get right in there and show my clients what to do, but for some reason I have usually held back and tried to talk them through it, which never comes out quite like my vision. I am definitely going to be more hands on and show them from now on.

10.28.09 - 12:01 am

81. Brianna -

OMG! I’m the exact same way (about how I learn). And I find myself all the time wanting to "show" my ‘subjects’ what I’m envisioning. However, I’ve been kind of afraid to do this. But now that I know i’m not alone and that its not creepy, I’m totally going to give it a try!!!!

10.28.09 - 12:08 am

82. kristi -

I am Totally a show it girl too…..I had one grandpa looking at me rather sideways last weekend while showing his adult daughters how to snuggle in close ( shouldn’t a girl KNOW how to snuggle in close to her dear old dad?!?!?! ) Somehow, I lack the powers of verbally communicating what I want folks to do. Showing is SO much easier. Love these shots! You are going to get to meet my good pal Tammy Swales this weekend at your wedding in NY. You will love her!

10.28.09 - 12:23 am

83. Eileen -

The expressions are hilarious! I love it. when you look at the finished product you would never guess this was behind the scenes!

10.28.09 - 12:34 am

84. Jacqueline Elizabeth -

You’re hilarious. I’m the same way when it comes to shooting πŸ™‚ that way I get what I want and it cuts down time. I’m not good at explaining my ‘vision’ haha.

10.28.09 - 12:38 am

85. Katelyn -

You can totally be all over michael…. just make us look goooood :):)

10.28.09 - 12:41 am

86. Anh Ma-Nguyen -

ooops i posted comment under polo instead! opppsie daisy!
    You are super adorable! I always want to do that but i think the bride might fire me on the spot! lol
    Thanking you for making me laugh while experiencing LABOUR CONTRACTIONS!!!!! OUCCCHHHHH!!!!

10.28.09 - 12:46 am

87. Magalie -

Yesterday, I was just wondering how you pose your clients so perfectly! Thanks for keeping it real–always!

10.28.09 - 1:13 am

88. Lisa H. Chang -

ah haha love these! especially the first … it’s like … what is going on there … πŸ™‚

10.28.09 - 1:24 am

89. Cathy Crawley -

Gosh you are funny! I’m glad it’s not just me doing this kind of stuff. Sometimes when I show the groom how to hold his bride to achieve the ‘hollywood dip’ I think I’ve gone too far and am a bit too close for comfort, but hey, you do what you gotta do to make those awesome images, right?!?!

10.28.09 - 1:26 am

90. nerinna -

You are so funny! These are great!

10.28.09 - 1:33 am

91. Kelli taylor -

These are awesome. Since I shoot portraits there’s no prof of how "awesome" I look when I’m shooting…THANK GOODNESS! πŸ™‚

10.28.09 - 1:41 am

92. Becka @Studio222 Photography -

HAHA! That last one made me laugh out loud because I say that to Nate all the time when I see photos that he took of me while shooting. I’m all, "Why didn’t you tell me I looked so wrong!?"

10.28.09 - 1:42 am

93. Harmonica -

most creative post award!

10.28.09 - 1:50 am

94. melissa oholendt -

Are you dropping the f-bomb in that last image? πŸ™‚ I JEST.

I love to see how you work!

10.28.09 - 2:31 am

95. Melissa -

Thank you for posting " Behind the scenes "

10.28.09 - 2:37 am

96. Pavel Gerega -

I’m really surprised I don’t see you wearing a camera strap on the camera! You’re like the first photographer I’ve seen that does that. Aren’t you afraid you might drop your camera or want to just free your hands for a second without putting down the camera?

10.28.09 - 2:50 am

97. Laura Lawson -

Hahaha love you J*. I needed a pick-me-up and this was perfect. Thanks for sharing.

10.28.09 - 3:05 am

98. Mandi -

LOL I love this post! Awesome. I had no idea you showed people exactly what how you wanted them. I guess I’m a little slow. . .

10.28.09 - 3:11 am

99. kellybeane -

You crack me up Jasmine!! BTW, I HATE fitted sheets… Oh I’m sorry I dislike fitted sheets with a strong passion! πŸ˜‰

10.28.09 - 3:31 am

100. Miranda Renee -

This is too funny! I love it!!

10.28.09 - 4:22 am

101. tammi l. -

hahah! these are awesome! =)

10.28.09 - 4:24 am

102. jesse tarnoff -

Such a good post. I thought I was the only one who did this. Now I can just point people here and say… SEE! If Jasmine can do it, I can!

10.28.09 - 4:31 am

103. Alexander Gardner -

EYE’S LIKE FIRE! And that’s just the bride. These are hilarious captures but very educational.

I may try a more hands on approach at my next wedding, at least it will make the bride smile! πŸ˜‰ The groom? Possibly not so much. πŸ˜‰

10.28.09 - 5:11 am

104. pinky -

omg i love them! that first one is hilarious! you are the best for showing these! =)

10.28.09 - 5:36 am

105. Jasmin -

Hahahaha. Thats too funny. I’m a touchy feely person too. I find I can explain it and they just stand there looking all blank and confused and if I’d just shown em in the first place I could’ve saved ALL the trouble!

10.28.09 - 5:42 am

106. Lisa -

I love that you are so open about the fact that you pose your clients and your willingness to laugh at yourself! You are my one stop inspiration station ; )

10.28.09 - 6:54 am

107. Jenn Regruth -

Miss Jasmine, on your VERY worst day, you could still turn heads!!! You always make me laugh so hard. Great post.

10.28.09 - 10:01 am

108. Corneli -

these make me laugh…. πŸ™‚

10.28.09 - 10:06 am

109. Jas -

Thanks! This is a very helpful post!

10.28.09 - 12:36 pm

110. oneshotbeyond -

fun inside look into shooting!

10.28.09 - 1:14 pm

111. e'lisa -

thank you for this post jasmine!! i totally do the same thing!! i can’t help it. i am not good at explaining, but showing people….that works for me!!!

10.28.09 - 1:44 pm

112. Tammy B Photography -

I have learned that most of my clients also understand more what the look I’ am going for, if I show them how to stand.

J* you always look great, I should start thining "what would J* wear" when I leave for a shoot. lol I never look that cute.

10.28.09 - 1:56 pm

113. Aurora -

LMAO girl you always look fantastic!! GREAT SHOTS and I feel you I always tell my clients that the added groping is no extra charge πŸ˜‰

10.28.09 - 2:01 pm

114. Michael Sink -

Jasmine! Great post as usual, sooo funny, I’ve got a few of these too! We work with Senios, mostly Senior portrait girls with a fashion flair, so the poses are very ANTM but not nearly as elegant with me doing them!

10.28.09 - 2:02 pm

115. Grace -

These are hilarious. Thank you for making my wednesday even greater than it already was.

10.28.09 - 2:22 pm

116. Antony Turner -

This is why you have so many fans, because of your honesty πŸ˜€

10.28.09 - 2:30 pm

117. Kay English -

Jasmine! Soooo cute! Love them! Where did you get those flat ballet shoes with the black dress you’re wearing? They’re soooo cute!!!!

10.28.09 - 2:36 pm

118. Tunji Sarumi -

Nice post.

10.28.09 - 2:50 pm

119. Erin H -

So funny…and true! I tend to shoot the same way cuz when I explain, I use too many words and it takes forever! I often make jokes to the groom that we’ll be great friends by the end of the day from all the closeness πŸ™‚ I also pose as the groom and sometimes get super close to the bride…in some way, I feel it shows that I in no way am favoring her man. Regardless, I’ve never gotten the stink eye from a bride, so I think my ways are safe πŸ™‚

10.28.09 - 3:18 pm

120. Oakstream Photography -

Oh I do that too. I’m a touchy, feely kinda gal also & I find it’s just much easier to SHOW than to TELL πŸ™‚

10.28.09 - 4:41 pm

121. imthiaz houseman -

ha, ha these are great!

10.28.09 - 4:46 pm

122. Jackie Lamas -

oh, I should try that! I usually just ask them to do a certain pose and can never get the right results…maybe I should get up in their grill! thanks!

10.28.09 - 5:39 pm

123. Lisa -

Love this post! I’m always showing clients what I want them to do too. It’s just easier!

10.28.09 - 5:49 pm

124. Marissa Rodriguez -

Too funny! You’re awesome!

10.28.09 - 6:28 pm

125. phom -

these are so GREAT! thank you so much for sharing.

10.28.09 - 6:30 pm

126. Aleks -

Jamine…I see that you do not ROCK the neck strap…are you worried about droppage? I would love to can my strap…its giving me a sore neck but I am worried!

10.28.09 - 7:38 pm

127. amanda thiessen -

haha these are good

10.28.09 - 8:06 pm

128. Daniela -

very funny!! great

10.28.09 - 8:14 pm

129. Heather Kincaid -

LOVE this! Makes me feel not so silly for the poses I do during my sessions. πŸ˜‰

10.28.09 - 8:27 pm

130. Matthew Saville -

People make fun of me at the Photog Shootouts for showing what I want from the models, but it WORKS! Getting un-trained people to look like a high-fashion model takes a lot of dedication.. =Matt=

10.28.09 - 9:22 pm

131. Liza Robersont -

This might sound really dumb…but I noticed in the photos that your neck strap is not attached to your camera…do you shoot without it?

10.28.09 - 10:24 pm

132. Events by Evonne -

You are so cute, Jas! I agree… it’s so much easier to show your clients what to do than to tell them.

10.28.09 - 11:40 pm

133. Lindsay Kipp Photography -

This post is way too stinkin’ cute!!! I love it! And I love that I’m not the only one that does it too!! Ha Ha! I usually have to catch myself from always demonstrating what I want., instead of just telling my clients what I want. =)

10.29.09 - 6:04 am

134. simply modern weddings -

you are a nerd. and i LOVE it!

10.29.09 - 7:03 am

135. Tim May -

Thank you so much for this post. I always find it hard to communicated how i would like people to pose so i tend to just leave people to their own devices, this is a great way of communicating with people and getting the right poses. I might not "side-hug" the groom though seeing as i am a chap. That might freak him out a little.
    Thanks

10.29.09 - 9:29 am

136. joan.solitario -

seeing you in action during your workshop was a dream come true :o). i’m glad to call you my mentor. :o)

10.29.09 - 4:27 pm

137. anni -

amazing. i just laughed out loud. love it!

10.29.09 - 5:15 pm

138. connieMchung -

hahahahhaha. I LOVE these. you seriously definitely ultimately rock.

10.29.09 - 6:03 pm

139. @corybrownlow -

Great post would love to see more client interaction tips in the future thanx

10.29.09 - 8:15 pm

140. Amy Martin -

LOVE it!!
    Glad to know I’m not the only one posing up on peoples mans…haha!!

10.30.09 - 4:10 am

141. Heather Price -

Hi Jasmine,is your bag a normal shoulder bag,or is it a photography bag?it looks way lighter than the one i use and much more classy.Great shots of how it’s done,you’re a star!

10.30.09 - 11:27 am

142. Heather LaBone -

Jasmine,
    You are absolutely the best. I am a faithful reader of your blog and you inspire me everyday! Love you GIRL!!! You so ROCK *

10.30.09 - 1:21 pm

143. KrisD Mauga -

OMg- you are too funny! I tend to do this too1 I mean NOTHING by it- for certain but I think all of us need to be shown sometimes. My last eSession I was grabbing the soon-to -be bride by the waste pulling her towards me to show her fiancee what I meant…I actually stopped in mid pull and realized this could be awkward…oopps!!! Glad I’m not the only one!

10.31.09 - 5:40 am

144. kris rupp -

So fun to read this post, thanks!!!

10.31.09 - 1:07 pm

145. Life with Kaishon -

I love the one where the groom is all intense and not smiling at all. OH MY GOSH so funny!

11.2.09 - 3:52 pm

146. Anna -

You’re awesome and hilarious, Jasmine. I’m a visual person myself and I appreciate being shown what to do. =)

11.3.09 - 7:18 pm

147. angela -

I see you don’t wear a neck strap..have you ever dropped your camera? I am about 100% sure I would eventually!! LOL! πŸ™‚
    Love your site! Thanks for all the info! πŸ™‚

11.4.09 - 2:26 pm

148. Kenzie Shores -

this cracks me up because I do this too!!!! glad I’m not the only one, hahaha!

11.23.09 - 2:18 am