Breathing Between the Waves

Personal

We strolled the aisles of Whole Foods in Laguna Beach in search of the perfect snacks. Just minutes from resting along the shore, we grabbed a salad, a sandwich, and a bag of cherries to share. As JD guided me down the steep dirt path, the smell of the ocean made me breathe a little deeper. Once the towels spewed themselves on the sand, we opened our lunch. Each cherry tasted a little like sunblock, one of the perils of applying lotion before you eat.

JD dove into the ocean and I read. The usual. Once the heat became unbearable, I followed JD into the ocean and we conquered the waves together. We laughed and joked and made fun of each other. After a while, I became tired and wanted to head back to the shore. I tried with all my might, but I couldn’t beat the strong current. JD yelled from a distance to swim back past the waves’ breaking point, but it was too late. I was caught in the white of the waves.

With each passing wave, I tried to catch my breath, but they came in such rapid succession I couldn’t. I kept on getting tossed even when I tried to dive under them. So I panicked. JD told me to stay calm, but me and Calmness weren’t friends when I was getting pummeled. JD noticed I was in bad shape, so he dove underwater and pushed me up so I could take a couple deep breaths before getting hit again. Even with his help, I just couldn’t see straight.

Out of nowhere, a lifeguard appeared. And then I almost fainted in his arms like he was Fabio on a cover of a romance novel. He wrapped me in a red inner tube and pushed me to shore. I almost died. From EMBARRASSMENT. Once on the shore, JD and I sat on the sand and I layed in his lap. Okay, so I cried a little too.

A few hours later, on our way home, we recounted the day’s events. And laughed. No, we rolled until our stomachs ached. JD made fun of me…I harassed him about the lifeguard stealing his I-Saved-My-Wife thunder…we laughed about the sand in our hair. After a few moments of silence, I realized our reactions to the waves were indicative of our outlooks on life. I was worried about making it to shore, and JD was merely focused on getting through each wave. Breathe in between the waves, he told me at my most panicked state.

Today, I firmly believe that’s a principle for life in general: Don’t worry about making it shore…just be sure to breathe between the waves.

comments

1. honey

July 27th, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Beautiful … I have tears in my eyes.
    Thank you for sharing and I am so happy you are ok!!!

2. Jason

July 27th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Jasmine….you sure know how to take a life situation (a bit scary the way it sounds) and turn it into something positive. You are one determined and focused individual. Blessings…

3. Caitlin

July 27th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

You are a terrific writer! This post was sweet. 🙂

4. Diandra

July 27th, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Thanks Jas. I needed that today.

5. Nicole Glenn

July 27th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

It amazes me that you can turn dying from embarassment into a beautiful life lesson. I too have been saved by a lifeguard after the ocean tried to make me a fish and I did not leave with such a beautiful story!!! Your writing is so wonderful. Happy Monday!

6. Kristin Partin

July 27th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

aren’t cherries the most stunning fruits to photograph 🙂

7. brooke lowther

July 27th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

beautiful! it’s hard to keep in all in perspective sometimes. you are truly blessed!

8. Stephanie Stewart

July 27th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

What a sweet post, one of my favorites, and JD’s advice makes total sense. I think he and my hubby have the same outlook on life. That’s why JD balances you, and you balance each other. Glad you are both ok!

9. Kelli

July 27th, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I am so glad you are okay. What a way to put life in to perspective, just make thru the waves. And what a great story to have to laugh about!

10. Kara Wieler

July 27th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Um… why am I crying? Today is one of those days… I am feeling so overwhelmed with work and the end seems nowhere near. I somehow knew that I should check your blog for a little help. I checked earlier.. nope, nothing new. About to log off and actually get some work done, I checked one more time. Thank you for this. I will work at getting through this load, one wave at a time!!!

11. Tara Templeton

July 27th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Beautiful entry today! It made me feel a little weepy! I’m happy you’re ok and that you have JD to lift you up to breathe between the waves!

12. Alicia

July 27th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

This same thing happened to me in Hawaii. BUT, after I managed to catch my breath and get out of it, I noticed my bikini top was all askew and some people got an eyefull. So just be greatful that: #1 you didn’t die and #2 you didn’t give a beach peep show. 🙂 I’m glad you lived.

13. Labradoris

July 27th, 2009 at 4:01 pm

What great advice.
    I’m a cyclist, and I find that I can pull a lot of life lessons from situations on the bike — for instance, just when I think I am completely spent and useless, I just keep pedaling until I reach the peak of a hill — and then relax as I crest it in exuberance. A chance to rest before the next hill…taking them one hill at a time. 🙂

14. Ms T Prescott

July 27th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Aww, I saw JD had posted on his twitter that the lifeguard had stole his thunder! Glad you’re ok, and the analogy is breathtaking. I needed that today.

15. Christine (Artemis Clover Photo)

July 27th, 2009 at 4:12 pm

love the cherries shot! the BEST part of summer, for sure.

16. Minnie

July 27th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Such touching words! I need to be reminded of that every so often! Thank you for sharing with us! Glad you are okay!

17. Ginger Murray

July 27th, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Wow… thank God for JD and the Lifeguard! How scary… SO glad you’re BOTH ok.

18. Olivia

July 27th, 2009 at 4:24 pm

So sweet. This is exactly how my hubby is to. All I ever I see is the end result, not each step it takes to get there.

19. jeramy

July 27th, 2009 at 4:26 pm

glad you’re ok. it was a super big swell on the west coast this weekend. big in nor cal too. love the analogy. new book title perhaps????

20. Rachel Clare

July 27th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

The waves this weekend have been crazy – glad you’re alright! And PS. I love the message in this post. Will post that thought to my fridge this week. 🙂

21. Dennis Bullock

July 27th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Well said Jasmine…

22. Katie

July 27th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

So glad to hear you are OK! But seriously, you need to write a book. I would buy 20 copies. You’re so talented at writing – and photography, of course 🙂

23. Lorrie Prothero

July 27th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Well, if you ever get tired of photography (not) you could definitely make it as a writer!

24. Carmen Whittaker

July 27th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Oh Jasmine, I’m glad you and JD are OK. I won’t show Fermin (my husband) this post. This is his worst nightmere.

25. Roxie

July 27th, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Priceless!

26. Dana E

July 27th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I am really glad you’re ok and were blessed to walk away laughing and with a life lesson beyond! Thank you for sharing! I’ll be sure to breathe as well!! =)

27. Alej

July 27th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

That’s so scary! I haven’t gotten in the ocean the last few summers b/c I’m too freaked out from the last time that happened to me. I wish I could get over it and just have some fun. But my husband’s coworker actually broke his neck and died from slamming down onto the sand like that so I continue to be terrified.

28. Karen - The Last Detail

July 27th, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Jasmine, you have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about! Just be glad you had someone there to help…as it seems the waves in California were MUCH higher than usual this weekend…news reports several deaths from swimmers drowning in them. SO glad you and JD are ok.

29. Trey Bohon

July 27th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

great post!

30. Lesley

July 27th, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Wow, that’s deep. Thanks for sharing this- it’s exactly what I needed today.

31. CharBaiz

July 27th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Jasmine, thank you for this! you have no idea the impact you have had with this simple post. all i can say is thank you 🙂

32. michelle sidles

July 27th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

You’re a genius. And so is JD. That is great advice. Glad you survived to tell us about it. 😉

33. Amy Clifton

July 27th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Perfect reminder, and beautifully stated. Thank you. I’m so glad you are safe–that sounds scary!!

34. MelissaF

July 27th, 2009 at 5:11 pm

What a scary situation. I’m so glad you’re okay.

35. Tacey

July 27th, 2009 at 5:12 pm

That must have been so scarey…I was nearly taken by water…..rolling ’round and ’round..black, blue, black, blue (sky-water-sky-water). Never panic (as hard as that may be) it will save your life (although Fabio sounded pretty great too). Phew. The world needs you Jasmine….I (we) are so glad you’re okay. Hugs.

36. Liz

July 27th, 2009 at 5:12 pm

WOW, this is great! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

37. Georgia

July 27th, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I do so love your blog and little life lessons.

Thanks for sharing, it was the perfect thing for me to remember today.

~Georgia

38. Roxy

July 27th, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I am so glad you are ok Jasmine! Did you get caught in riptide or was it just wave after wave? It mmust be so scary! I got caught in huge massive waves a few years back, when I was in Miami. And it ripped my bikini bottom off of me! Thank you God that I caught it as it floated away…otherwise I wouldn’t be getting out of the water. 😉

39. melissa

July 27th, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I need this today, too.
    Glad you’re ok. Being able to laugh at the end of such a panic-experience really refills the soul.

40. Lindsay Kay

July 27th, 2009 at 5:17 pm

That is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing that wonderful insight.

41. gina

July 27th, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I love that last statement. Ahhhh…today I needed that!

42. Rich

July 27th, 2009 at 5:19 pm

My favorite blog post ever.

43. Candi

July 27th, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Beautifully written. I can just picture how frightened you must have been. I am glad you made it out safely! 🙂

44. Alejandra

July 27th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Chica you had me crying over here!! I’m glad to know you are safe and sound! You also made me laugh here …I harassed him about the lifeguard stealing his I-Saved-My-Wife thunder!

You are truly an amazing person!!

45. Kara Laws

July 27th, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Don’t feel too bad I would have panicked too! What a great post tho. You have such an amazing out look on life. I am glad you lived through the waves. 🙂

46. Thea

July 27th, 2009 at 5:40 pm

perfection

47. Tara

July 27th, 2009 at 5:49 pm

That is a beautiful thought. Thank you. I found your site through DPS, and I’m happy that I did!

48. jess@studio3z

July 27th, 2009 at 5:50 pm

It sounds like you were lucky enough to find a man like mine…one blessed with sensible wisdom. I know my husband has "saved my life" on many occasions. 🙂

49. Rick Wenner

July 27th, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Ya know, this is actually perfect for where I am right now in my photography career. Going through all the ups and downs, trying to make it a full time thing…it’s hard work to make it to "the shore." I know it will be worth it in the end so "take a breath between the waves" is excellent advice. Right on JD&J*

50. Kathleen

July 27th, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I just added that reminder to the little notes all around my computer screen. Thank you. I am also super glad you are okay! And I love the cherries shot….mmm, must go buy cherries, NOW!

51. Rebecca

July 27th, 2009 at 6:02 pm

So sweet. (And mmmmmm cherries.)

52. amy boring

July 27th, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I can so totally relate to this. It happened when I was about 8 though. The ocean has been intimidating ever since. Glad you made it out alive. 🙂

53. Megan Case

July 27th, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Oh my! I’m so glad you are OK…..and that you can laugh about it now. Best wishes!

54. jamie delaine

July 27th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

you make me smile!

55. wrecklessgirl

July 27th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

well, well said darlin.

56. Lori

July 27th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I have a chalkboard that hangs in my kitchen. I mostly write quotes, sometimes words of inspirtation, sometimes just an ‘i love u’. Your words will be on the chalkboard in my kitchen today….thank u.

57. Edward Maurer

July 27th, 2009 at 6:20 pm

you have a gift for story telling on the page and the camera. Great message in this post, breathe between the waves.

58. Marti Smith

July 27th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Great Story and message. However, the Cherry J * is what really caught my attention. You are creative beyond words! Enjoy my big brother next week. I hooked him onto your blog and am now so excited for him to meet you at the Seminar! I don’t know who is more excited, him …. or me. Oh, yeah… It’s me. Jeremy’s just like JD. Only kinda goofy. 😉

59. Tess

July 27th, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Thank you for the great story and wonderful words! It brought a tear to my eyes, as I really need to remember this!

60. erin conrad

July 27th, 2009 at 6:38 pm

i think i needed that at this exact moment.

61. Glenda

July 27th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Snif…snif – I know that feeling exactly. Scarry and yes thankfully for me also the amazing men in red came to my rescue! Glad your ok 😉

62. jessica rensch

July 27th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Simply beautiful.

63. alice park

July 27th, 2009 at 6:46 pm

only through your stories can i laugh, tear up, and recount my lucky stars before i finish the last sentence. in that order. thank you for your words and your photos, jasmine. thank goodness for lifeguards!

64. Sara Munneke

July 27th, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Wow, i needed to hear that!!! Just about 10 seconds ago, aftering finishing a shoot, gettin the mail, reading e-mails, etc, etc. I thinkin i’ve 300 things to get done and I feel a rush of anxiety. I thought, i’ll just check out Jasmines blog quick!!! I love how you write, that was exactly what I needed to heard, just breathe. Funny how we forgot sometimes. Thanks for posting and glad you’re okay too. take care

65. Brooke

July 27th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Love your blog and love this post. Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you are ok 🙂 And great advice from your hubby!

66. Shandon Smith

July 27th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Girl, that’s just what I needed to hear.

67. mar5195

July 27th, 2009 at 7:14 pm

This will be my mantra this week. I really needed to read this!

68. Rebecca

July 27th, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Beautiful.

69. Sarah

July 27th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Glad you are ok. That is so scary. Awesome advice from JD and I think is what most people need to hear and think about these days. Thank you for this post.

70. terri zollinger

July 27th, 2009 at 7:21 pm

love how you always find the positive in everything !!
    glad you are safe ….
    glad you had a good belly laugh !!- they are the best ! –
    and glad you had some rockin’ cherries ..

71. Rosemarie

July 27th, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Thank you!!!!!!

72. joyful weddings and events

July 27th, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I am glad you were rescued 🙂 & I love that pic of the cherries!

73. aileen secord

July 27th, 2009 at 7:35 pm

exactly what i needed to hear. glad you’re ok.

74. Sarah Austin

July 27th, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for sharing, I was so scared! Obviously your ok, but your words get me all wrapped up. *sigh of relief* I’m facing a major change in my life and I think that simple phrase will help alot. Thank you.

75. Sacha

July 27th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Omigoodness – Jasmine – I remember so clearly nearly drowning and tumbling and when the person came to save me, I had already given up and was rolling with the water so the rescuing arms invaded my bliss of near death. I am happy I was saved though. And my 4 year old boy had his first tumble on Sunday and I flipped out rather than being calm. The ocean is so beautiful but demands respect in an ominous way at times. I am so happy you are safe – I felt sick reading this because it was all so close to home and just goes to show nobody is above it and JD is so right to just be calm but I haven’t learned that lesson either. Hopefully my little boy has the breathe between the waves nature rather than his mama’s panic mode one! Happy you are ok and able to laugh about it.

76. Rakeda Sharber

July 27th, 2009 at 7:39 pm

You are the most awesome thing since sliced bread. Period. I’m so glad you have him. And I’m glad that we have you and your constant gems of wisdom.

77. Sandy Jenete

July 27th, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Very scary and very sweet, perfect reading for today…I want some cherries now!

78. Christa

July 27th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

sniffle, sniffle….so true. I’m glad you’re okay 🙂

79. Andrea

July 27th, 2009 at 7:56 pm

YIKES!! How scary! I am so glad all is ok. JD is a champ- that lifeguard totally stole his thunder. You always make me smile. Thanks!

80. Brittney

July 27th, 2009 at 7:56 pm

love your work, but more importantly I love reading your WORDS!

81. Melissa

July 27th, 2009 at 8:08 pm

So glad you are okay!
    Thank you for making me smile today =)

82. Cindy Simbulan

July 27th, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Life is a journey and not a destination…so yes, breathing between the waves is the name of the game.

83. Jane

July 27th, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I once was rescued by a lifeguard when I didn’t even realize I needed rescuing. I had apparently drifted way too far on my boogie board without noticing it. I too died of embarrassment as people gathered at the shore to watch.

84. duesenklipper

July 27th, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I recently discovered this blog and have already enjoyed a few of the entries, and of the pictures.

But this is one of the best tales I’ve heard recently, and I shall certainly take the advice about the waves and the shore with me. Thank you.

85. Kristin Rogers

July 27th, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Wow Jasmine…that sounds crazy. Glad you guys are safe and able to laugh about it after!

Sounds like JD is such a partner for you. Even when he was at the shoot out…he stands behind you, but not in your shadow. It is a strong support and " i just love you" kinda spot!

86. Kim

July 27th, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Jasmine. You have such an incredible way with words. You are just special. Thank you.

87. Miz Booshay

July 27th, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Oh honey.
    That is very scary. I thank God for you and JD and Mr. Baywatch.

Now. Don’t do that again.

88. anda

July 27th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

right on, jasmine. and glad you’re okay.

89. Bet

July 27th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Wow, I’m so glad you’re okay!! Powerful post though and a solid principle for life.

And you made me cry.. yet again. I <3 you both. *hugs*

90. Jacqueline

July 27th, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Thank you for making me literally LOL!!! FABIO!!! HAHAHAH!

91. Jewelielyn

July 27th, 2009 at 8:51 pm

love the beach! hate the water–exactly because of what you experienced today!! and while it is important and necessary to "breathe between the waves," it is also important and necessary to eventually "make it to the shore." thanks for sharing this story–it was thought provoking for me : )

92. Tiffany

July 27th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

this quote definitely needs to go in your future book that I think you should write 😉 love it!

93. Alena

July 27th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Only you could make me laugh and cry in the same post.

Jen and I miss you; we think a trip to NYC is necessary. Fear not, there are no waves here.

94. Deborah

July 27th, 2009 at 9:14 pm

OMG You too are the cutest things. Whats cool is my honey is so incredible and things your guy does is so much similar to my baby.

You remind me of how much I love my baby.

95. James Monarchy Studio

July 27th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Glad you are ok!!! So are you making a cherry pie for the lifeguard that saved you?

96. emily griffith

July 27th, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Alright, when you are going to write a book?! 🙂 Not only are you a fabulous photographer, you are an incredible writer! Thanks for sharing your life and gifts with the blog world! 🙂

97. Jackie

July 27th, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Glad you are okay! I loved how you were able to turn the experience into something positive.
    Great quote at the end.

98. Bobby Earle

July 27th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

HA!

99. Deb Fikkert

July 27th, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Perfect quotable quote for dealing with life – thanks!

100. Melissa

July 27th, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Can I just say I LOVE this post (and photo)!

I am so glad you were whisked safely to shore. ;o)

101. Tricia-Lynn

July 27th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Glad you are okay and I just love what you wrote. So perfect for a convo I had with my husband yesterday. I’m sending it to him now. I love your site, your stories, your PHOTOGRAPHY, and absolutely just think you Rock. Wish I lived there. I would probably stalk you. You are an inspiration, truly, to doing what you dream and desire to do and living the life you love. Thanks for a wonderful story. JD is so cute!!

July 27th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

So true. Thanks for the reminder!

103. Jocelyn

July 27th, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I’m so glad that you’re okay, and thankful for lifeguards! What a great observation (and good advice) about perspectives! It’s true in running too – it’s a lot harder to finish your planned distance when you’re thinking about the end than when you’re thinking about getting through the next leg of the race. 🙂

104. Karen

July 27th, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Glad you’re okay now. =]

Your writing never ceases to amaze me.

105. lin - pet photographer

July 27th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Hehe, thank you for sharing your experience. Its so nice to hear people enjoying their time. Something as simple as relaxing at the beach, eating cherries.

106. Karina Bravo

July 27th, 2009 at 10:12 pm

wow, nice to know someone helps you breathe….Thankfully I know that too. and by the way..was the lifeguard hot? lol

107. Kiera Haddock

July 27th, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Wonderful!!!!! I needed to hear that.

108. Andrea Cunha

July 27th, 2009 at 10:25 pm

So deep! I am glad that I open your blog today. God bless you.

109. Lisa

July 27th, 2009 at 10:44 pm

You were not alone: http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=14763168
    Looks like you have ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to feel embarrassed 🙂 Loved your post – one of my favorites to date!

110. Amanda

July 27th, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Your talent amazes me…and glad you’re okay!!!

111. Stephanie

July 27th, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Thank you for the tear…..and the inspiration. You are amazing. I’m glad you are here to write about it!! ;o)

112. Carrie K

July 27th, 2009 at 11:12 pm

the stems on the left make a ‘J’. Nice work J*

113. Jen May

July 27th, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I know what you mean. Glad you can make a story of this! 🙂

114. Hanssie Trainor

July 27th, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Was the lifeguard hot? I totally had the Baywatch soundtrack roll through my brain when I read your tweet. But I am so glad you are okay! JD’s a rock star!

115. Cathy Crawley

July 27th, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Thanks for posting this, I really needed to hear it today. Glad you are ok too 😉

116. Nicole

July 27th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

This was exactly what I needed to read/hear/know today. Thank you.

117. Shannon K.

July 27th, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I love your ability to take life’s hardships and find meaning in them. Glad you are okay!

118. Janice

July 28th, 2009 at 12:04 am

Glad to hear you’re ok. Whew!

119. Stefanie

July 28th, 2009 at 12:13 am

I recently had a similar experience. I shoot a lot on and near rivers, so I thought it would be a good idea to take a swiftwater rescue course. Part of the course is a swim down a rapid. As I’m bobbing down the river, breathing between the waves, priorities kinda sorted themselves out for me. There was also a part where I had to free myself from being pinned underwater, but we won’t get into that, it was just SCARY!

120. Beki Tillotson

July 28th, 2009 at 12:16 am

Do you just have telepathy or what, J*? Thats exactly what I’ve been needing to read. You two are the cheese to everyone’s macaroni! 🙂

121. ma'ele

July 28th, 2009 at 12:36 am

That is so funny (the Fabio lifeguard/ and bright RED innertube), yet scary. The waves this weekend were brutal. Most everyone at HB was lining the shores with just a few brave souls in the water… being pummeled!!! Love how you find life lessons in every ordeal!

122. Nori

July 28th, 2009 at 12:41 am

Beautifully said

123. melissa oholendt

July 28th, 2009 at 12:49 am

I am so happy you are ok! God has enabled you with such an amazing talent for taking the everyday (well…hopefully not THIS everyday) and making it truly profound.

You have said what so many needed to hear today. One wave at a time.

124. Mickie Easby

July 28th, 2009 at 12:50 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you – a reminder we all need from time to time. I read your blog with fascination and in awe… your stories – the richness of them and the pictures that tell the story in between. Glad you are ok and safely breathing now between the waves!

125. Marissa Rodriguez

July 28th, 2009 at 12:56 am

Love this post! Glad you’re ok and thanks for the wonderful reminder!

126. Amy

July 28th, 2009 at 1:13 am

Okay so I could vividly picture what you went through as I read — because I would get caught in those "white waves" myself growing up. They are so scary! Especially when you’re underneath the boogie board and can’t push it away.

But you’re right – breathe between the waves of life, because you know somethin’s always going to be comin’!

127. Katherine Bowman

July 28th, 2009 at 1:17 am

Glad you are ok and that you can laugh about it now! 🙂 Great picture by the way! What lens did you use for it?

128. Jihan Cerda

July 28th, 2009 at 1:26 am

There’s always a moral to every story….I don’t know if you noticed, but the cherries to the left, the stems look like they are shaped like the J* logo.

129. Jessica Shae

July 28th, 2009 at 1:40 am

Awww….so totally sweet. I love hearing your perspective on things Jasmine!

130. Dana F.

July 28th, 2009 at 1:56 am

Amazing. You are amazing. It’s just that simple. Your words make my heart happy. &#9829;

131. Amanda

July 28th, 2009 at 1:58 am

I was having a no good, very bad, all-together terribly trying day.

For some reason, what you’ve said about breathing between the waves has helped.

132. Greer Rivera

July 28th, 2009 at 2:18 am

WOW! You are so wise to be able to apply JD’s words to life… It’s so true.
    "Don’t worry about making it shore…just be sure to breathe between the waves."-J*…and JD
    I’ll be making this one of my mantras for sure!

133. Michelle Parish

July 28th, 2009 at 2:23 am

Jasmine I’m glad you made it through the waves! I was once caught in a current and had to grab onto a piling under a pier covered in barnacles in order to not be swept out to sea. After I was rescued my hands were shred to pieces, but I was ok!

"breathe in between the waves"…thank you JD! This beautiful sentence applies to life’s challenges literally and figuratively! This sensible advice is profound in it’s simplicity. I will repeat this, esp when I feel anxious, like today when I almost turned over furniture just trying to find a ball point pen! (I hate gel pens, but it seemed that was all I could find.) LOL
    Michelle
    p.s. does JD have a blog?

134. Anna

July 28th, 2009 at 2:32 am

135. kelly beane

July 28th, 2009 at 2:35 am

i feel like most have said it, but this too is so perfect for what i am going through in life right now. God has truly given you a talent in photography, but also to also reach others with your writing and i am so thankful you are faithful to him and able to share these little bits of wisdom. i am glad you are okay, but can totally imagine all the laughing going on during the drive afterwards. love this post!!!

136. Darlene McCowan

July 28th, 2009 at 2:41 am

Thank you for your words of inspiration…Jasmine and JD! 🙂 Sometimes I too get caught by those waves, so I’ll remember those words when I think I’m going to drown…lol! No, really….great analogy!

137. Carrie Vines

July 28th, 2009 at 2:42 am

So glad you’re ok! Seriously.

138. Sandra Yu Photography

July 28th, 2009 at 3:05 am

Poetic. My soul thanks you for it.

139. Sarah

July 28th, 2009 at 3:08 am

I so needed this TODAY more than any other day!!!

140. Pol

July 28th, 2009 at 3:11 am

JD has a great philosophy. Sort out the small things and the big ones will sort themselves out.
    PS love the cherry photo. I think cherries are just the most gorgeous little fruit! Tiny perfection

141. Jo-Anne Kyle

July 28th, 2009 at 3:44 am

Wow – Jasmine, I was just watching the news reports about the huge waves in southern California and how busy the lifeguards have been this week. So glad your story had a happy ending!

142. Ronee

July 28th, 2009 at 3:48 am

I thank God you are both okay! What a scary experience…albeit funny now.

143. Leah Mullett

July 28th, 2009 at 3:54 am

You. Are. Amazing.

144. Jennifer Bowen

July 28th, 2009 at 3:55 am

What a fantastic post. Im glad you are okay, that you could laugh about it later, and that you passed on the meaning you found from it. That is a quote I will post. And its a post that will probably end up in a "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type book at some point.

145. Vania - SimplyBloom Photography, LLC

July 28th, 2009 at 4:13 am

i adore it. I breathe a little bit slower at the end of this post 😉

i love love coming to your blog every day 🙂

146. Wayne Bradt

July 28th, 2009 at 4:37 am

simple and beautiful, love it!

147. Feuza

July 28th, 2009 at 4:39 am

Wow,beautiful! glad you are ok, souns scary, just like life sometimes too.

148. jen berry

July 28th, 2009 at 4:50 am

oh man. that sounds scaarryy. i’m glad you were able to laugh about it later. getting knocked around by the vicious pacific is no bueno.

149. Dani

July 28th, 2009 at 5:00 am

What a perfect philosophy!! I’m glad your safe.

150. Fabuluxe Photos

July 28th, 2009 at 5:13 am

WOW. So glad you’re ok! 😉

151. Amy

July 28th, 2009 at 5:36 am

I’m so glad you are ok! That is definitely scary! The ocean has brought me to tears once as well….I was just thinking the other day what Amazing lifeguards we have here. They are so dedicated!

152. sharla

July 28th, 2009 at 6:32 am

wow you are a talented writer! and photographer:) I love your blog.

153. Lucy

July 28th, 2009 at 6:42 am

This is why I come to your blog everyday~ its the posts like this. your perspective is what makes you such a rock star~

154. Nancy Ramos

July 28th, 2009 at 7:35 am

I am glad you are fine. The breathing between the waves brought me to tears. But, I am content.

155. Events by Evonne

July 28th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Glad you are OK! And I will remember to breathe between the waves! That’s exactly what I need to do!

156. Sue McFarland

July 28th, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Oh my stars!! I am so happy that you are alright. Nothing scarier than being out of control in the water. So happy that you and JD can look back at this and laugh…your positive spin on this life harrowing event gives me great inspiration. Almost as much as you beautiful photos!!

157. Tori

July 28th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Just what I needed today. My mother was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer (never smoked in her life) and the outlook is not as good as we had hoped. I’ve been feeling like I’m drowing in this sea of medical information, treatment and doctors, so this was a wonderful encouragement today.

Thank you Jasmine!

158. Lori Evelyn

July 28th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Ok, I just have to say that this post brought me to tears. And I am not a crier! There is such wisdom in that simple statement. Thank you, I really needed to hear that today. Between chemo, work, doctor’s appointments, family commitments and just daily life I can really get overwhelmed. I needed the reminder to just breathe between the waves. So, thank you. You blessed my life today.

159. Alice

July 28th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I’m a dork – this post almost made me cry. It reminds me of the way my husband and I used to be. Glad you are okay!!!

160. Marla

July 28th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

You have many gifts. Beautiful words.

161. Bobbie Brown

July 28th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Oh wow. I have chill bumps. Great post.

162. Daiquiri Fouch

July 28th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Well, yikes! So glad you’re okay. I found myself holding my breath just reading about it!

Love, love, LOVE the cherry shot 🙂

163. Jennifer

July 28th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I think we are given snipets of wisdom throughout our daily lives. God is there showing us and teaching us at every turn. Thank you for sharing your life with us… your writing is inspiring.

164. julie avina

July 28th, 2009 at 2:57 pm

JAS!!!! glad you’re okay…..be careful superwoman!

165. Nelly Soares

July 28th, 2009 at 3:34 pm

You just gave me goosebumps…great post as usual!

166. Lorrie Prothero

July 28th, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Okay – I read your old blog and noticed that you’ve taken journalism classes. I was beginning to wonder if there’s anything you tried that you’re not EXTREMELY gifted? At least now I know you’ve taken writing classes, and not all of your talents are completely self taught.

167. Becka @Studio222 Photography

July 28th, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Glad you are okay! I’ve lived in FL all my life and I’ve been trapped in a few rip currents. It really is scary when you feel like you’re out of control. Don’t be embarrassed! But what a great lesson to share! That may become my new mantra!

168. Lisa

July 28th, 2009 at 4:49 pm

First visit to your blog. I cried. I needed to hear that message too.

169. Carol

July 28th, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Hi Jasmine! I found your site through, Ribbons of Red and the post about great photographers. I can’t even begin to find the words to express how I feel after reading this post. Like others I’m crying, a variety of tears – some that your okay, some for the incredible relationship you & your husband have, some for the amazing insight in the message "breathe between the waves" and fnally the way God blesses our lives with direction from people we’ve never met! I am at a major cross road in my life, deciding to let go of a business that has cost me over 100K (take the loss) a nd follow my heart/art (where I should have been all along) – this at the age of 54! Thank you & bless you. Look forward to catching up on all your posts. Love the photo of the cherries!

170. Melanie

July 28th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Jasmine,
    This post was so moving. I’m so glad the two of you are ok and I love your outlook on life.

171. Ashley

July 29th, 2009 at 12:02 am

Only you could take a situation like that and recount it in such a poetic way! I love the concept of breathing between the waves because I’m like you in worrying about getting to shore. And I assure you, I would have been crying my eyes out because I’m just an emotional mess! Glad you’re okay!

172. michelle

July 29th, 2009 at 2:44 am

The most inspiring post ever! Thank you. I needed this today.

173. Stephanie

July 29th, 2009 at 4:07 am

WOW….That is powerful and so true! Thank you for sharing your words so beautifully:) Thank God that you are ok!

174. Jenn

July 29th, 2009 at 11:45 am

That was an amazing post! Almost the same thing happened to me- only there was no lifeguard to save me. My husband tried to tell me to be calm but I was a panicked mess- I cried soo hard when I made it back to the shore. I think a relieved cry. Glad you are ok!

175. Lisa H. Chang

July 29th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

OH! I HATE getting caught in waves – it’s the worst feeling in the world! I’m glad you’re alright 🙂

176. joan.solitario

July 29th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

omg! that must have been terrifying for you.. even though you and jd laughed about it later… but still… :o(

glad you’re okay though! :o)

177. Manuella Pararas-Hulbert

July 29th, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I’m such a sap as I teared up just reading this. You always seem to have that affect on me,lol. I think its the way you write, you draw us in and I almost feel like I was there, plus I had a couple of situations that were similar and there is nothing scarier, thank God you are ok.

178. MattDJ

July 29th, 2009 at 9:19 pm

This post is a C-L-A-S-S-I-C!

179. alex.kruk photography

July 30th, 2009 at 6:55 am

I am glad you are ok. Great post !

180. Jenni

July 31st, 2009 at 6:41 pm

What a beautiful post. I’m sitting here at my desk trying to fight back the urge to cry a little. What perfect advice.

181. Kate Noelle

July 31st, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Well put Miss Jasmine… well put. Nothing like real life lessons in unexpected places…

182. Valerie Acosta

August 1st, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Dang, Jasmine. That hit home. Especially because I have been having a really rough month with my daughter. I’ve felt like I’m drowning. I need a do-over for my life.

183. cyndi

August 2nd, 2009 at 4:29 pm

This really hit home with me and I’m so thankful to you for your words. I hate that you had to experience such a frightening moment and am thrilled everything turned out ok. I know how scary the water can be…when I was about 10 I went rafting with my step-mom down a very calm river. Toward the end I was knocked off the back by a branch and found myself under the raft/boat. Each time I tried to come up my head hit the bottom and held me under. It’s still one of my most scary memories.

Thank you for being so real. You are such a gem and I absolutely love reading your blog!

184. erica clark

August 3rd, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Not only are you a stunning photographer and person, but you are an impeccable writer as well. Thank you for sharing your most intimate moments. You continue to be an inspiration in photography and life.

185. Kriea

August 3rd, 2009 at 4:48 pm

186. Jeremy Williams

August 4th, 2009 at 6:14 am

I could not have said it better myself. Such a spectacular outlook on life and how to deal with it. I have a little gem of my own that I use for my email signature, I came up with it one day while I was working on the Coast Guard cutter in NH. ""A person is not defined by their moments of greatness, rather they are defined by the way they handle moments of disappointment "- Jeremy WIlliams

God Bless,

J. Williams, U.S.C.G

187. cassandra m

August 4th, 2009 at 8:23 am

xoxoxooxo and prayers always.

188. Lea Hart

August 5th, 2009 at 6:26 am

oh. ok. tears in the eyes… beautiful story and picture. And I love eating cherries on the beach, too. XO from Brooklyn!
    Lea

189. Krysta

August 6th, 2009 at 6:27 pm

… That is a TINY bowl! … Great thoughts, Jaz!

190. Helen V

August 31st, 2009 at 5:07 am

your principle for life quote touched me. It can have different meanings for anyone. But for me, it helped me thru this day…thanks Jasmine

191. Mikaela

July 19th, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I’ve said it before, but I love your stories. Love, love. BUT, did anyone else notice the cherry stems in the shape of your initial?! Nice touch 😉 xo

192. Brandi W

July 20th, 2010 at 5:31 am

I had forgotten about this post and I’m so glad it was on your blog for today because I needed to be reminded of it again!! I love how God works 🙂

193. Apple

July 20th, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I so love this jasmine! you’re awesome! you too are so pb&j too!!!:)

194. Bianca

July 23rd, 2010 at 2:08 am

hahaha i am laughing so hard i just snorted coffee all over the screen & my co-workers are giving me the evils

195. annaliza

February 10th, 2011 at 3:17 am

haha. that’s funny but profound and awesome. i love your creative writing and outlook and your amazing relationship with your bhff (best hubbulicious friend forever). thanks for sharing and making me laugh. and your outstanding artwork (aka-photos) are icing on the cake.

196. Kathleen