Chronicles of a Relapsing Dieter

Personal

I sat on my couch and felt like a sinner. Perhaps I was. I transgressed against the ancient code of dieting. Ice cream. Yes, I totally sinned.

And to make things worse, I complained to JD about my lack of will power. He assured me that, really, it’s okay. As soon as I began rationalizing my dietary mishap, he said, And, besides, I like my wife how I like my milkshakes: thick. Oh dear lord, I started running laps around our living room. Panic driven sprints, if you will.

I guess I’ve been consumed lately because we’re going on vacation in less than a month. Vacation = Swimsuit = Panic Driven Sprints. I’m definitely in desperation mode because I work out at least four times a week, eat decently (vegetarians, unite!), and drink water exclusively, but—for.the.love.of.it.all—I cannot give up sweets. Like, really, I simply will die if I don’t eat something sweet after dinner. And this becomes a problem if a person is trying to shed unwanted pounds. Or, in my case, unwanted kilos.

So, in a last ditch attempt to keep it real, I’m blogging for accountability. If you’re a family member or friend and see me sneaking a few bites of dessert, please pinch my belly. If you’re a blog reader and cross my path while I’m eating something with inordinate amounts of sugar, please ask me how my swimsuit search is faring. And if you’re a stranger and see a small rectangular box from the Cheesecake Factory in my hand, please feel free to trip me.

And to make my weight loss endeavors sweeter (no pun intended), JD and I are competing to determine who can lose the most body fat percentage before we leave on our vacation. My prize is so juicy I simply must win…and then I can blog all about it!! In the meantime, I’ve been sending unhealthy snacks to work with JD…you know, just to make sure I win!

I’m so evil.

Just in case I get the urge to fall off the bandwagon, I found this frozen yougurt…I’m hoping it’ll keep me on track. Zero fat, and a mere 100 calories per serving. It’s no Ben&Jerry’s, but I’m hoping it’ll suffice…

Please feel free to leave dessert-substitute suggestions in the comment box…and please be warned: FRUIT IS NOT A DESSERT. I tried on countless occasions to convince myself of this notion, but, really, a kumquat just doesn’t cut it! 😉

comments

1. Sarah Barlow

November 27th, 2007 at 6:55 pm

HAHA! Toooo funny! I know you can do it!:)
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwhichs are AMAZING!! Especially the mint ice cream kind!

2. Emily DeWan

November 27th, 2007 at 6:57 pm

You are evil… I think it’s hilarious. I’ve always been a fan of sorbet – any of the red flavors.

3. Brianna

November 27th, 2007 at 7:15 pm

good thing I’m gone! thumbs down to no desserts. seriously though…go to pinkberry. othen than that…i got nuthin’.

4. Maya

November 27th, 2007 at 7:27 pm

I highly recommend Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches! I have a sweet tooth too and they are the only thing keeping me from falling off the diet bandwagon.

5. Amy

November 27th, 2007 at 7:29 pm

I can sooo relate!! I’m a pretty healthy meal eater but I CANNOT live without chocolate daily. I really 100% believe a person can be addicted to sugar. I know I am! If I try to be good and not by it on my weekly shopping trip I end up driving to the store later just go buy a treat! I tell myself I’ll just workout longer since that is something I can control. Good luck!! Where did you guys decide to go?

6. Crystal Goss

November 27th, 2007 at 7:52 pm

From one dessert addicted woman to another – I wish you good luck! haha! 🙂 You can do it! I have no wonderful words of advice to share. The only thing I can think of is Sno Caps – yeah, the ones you can get at the movie theaters. I keep them around the house and grab a few a couple of times a day to get me through. It is just enough sweetness to hold me off for a while! 🙂

7. Amy Nave

November 27th, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Jasmine my dear, you look amazing:)

Where you going on vacation?

8. Kate Mefford

November 27th, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Girlfriend..it’s called Jello Fat Free pudding…chocolate, preferably. Also, Swiss Miss fat free hot chocolate with peppermints in it!!! You can do it! (And I hear ya on fruit not being dessert. Not. the. same.

9. Katelyn

November 27th, 2007 at 8:43 pm

OHHHH i have a good one

at only 60 calories a serving, Luigi’s no sugar added italian ice is my favorite. it comes in two flavors and is CHEAP.

its cold and sweet.. something i ALWAYS crave. even the full sugar ones only have 120 calories.

ps.. ive been reading your blog for ages.. just not commenting.. you inspire me DAILY. in more aspects than photograph

10. Christopher Grisanti

November 27th, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Jasmine,
    I agree with JD. A woman needs curves. A shapely figure is a work of art. God’s masterpiece!

11. Melissa

November 27th, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Diet Tip #1:
    Go to Europe for 2 weeks and walk around all day every day and eat whatever you want and STILL lose weight! It worked for me!

12. cassandra m

November 27th, 2007 at 8:57 pm

girl…i cannot see you having a problem with losing weight as active as you are. i am bad, i would justify the desserts with the amount of time you run around working like a crazy person. ha ha. good luck. BTW, where did you guys decide on for your vacation?

13. Lisa Woods

November 27th, 2007 at 9:01 pm

I’m going thru the same thing right now. I just can’t help myself! My jeans look like they are painted on my legs now, so do I buy new jeans or give up the ice cream?

14. DrewB

November 27th, 2007 at 9:06 pm

ALL I can think about is ice cream and cookies. It’s all I think about. It consumes me. Chuck bought me sugar free jello and pudding. It’s just not cutting it.

15. brian khang

November 27th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

have you tried like a frozen yogurt and fruit.. like pink berry or kewi berry.. i am addicted to pink berry and its coming soon to spectrum.

16. Isaac Hinds

November 27th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

J – Long time reader, first time poster. 🙂 I photograph the fitness industry and a large part of my work is with bodybuilding.com. The biggest thing to avoid is sugar and with many products they fool ya with "sugar-alcohols". Drink more water and watch the sugar and you’ll be on the right path.

Cheers!

17. Jessica Kay

November 27th, 2007 at 9:18 pm

I couldn’t sympathize with you more. Your words express my sentiments on this dieting dilemma. Sigh.

18. kerri mcconnell

November 27th, 2007 at 9:38 pm

i hear ya, jas! try a box of spice cake with a can of pure pumpkin (14 or 16 ounces) with an 1/8 cup of water. mix together and bake per directions on box. it’s a weight watchers recipe and pairs well with a scoop of fat free cool whip!! *yum*

19. desiree Hayes

November 27th, 2007 at 9:47 pm

I think you are beautiful as you are! I know the weight loss game too though…LOL! Being a girl sucks sometimes. Skinny Cow Bars all the way….I love those things! (I also pack the fattening stuff to work with my hubby. HAHA!)

20. John Buffin

November 27th, 2007 at 9:53 pm

In June 2006 I joined Weight Watchers. I started at a heafty 346lbs. I’m currently at 219lbs. And while it’s been tough to give up things like sweets and ice cream, I make do with healthier substitutions, and it’s totally been worth it!! This is a composite shot I put together:
    Good luck with keeping the ice cream demons at bay.

21. Jennifer Elaine

November 27th, 2007 at 9:56 pm

First of all…you’re either crazy or you have a fun house mirror because the Jasmine I saw recently does not need a diet. I know how it goes though…just wait till you have kids! Ok so if you want something really tasty, try the 100 calorie packs of hostess cupcakes. They’re REALLY good. I also like sugar free/fat free pudding cups. Hope you win!

22. Holly McCaig

November 27th, 2007 at 10:03 pm

I’m a Weight Watcher and my favorite little quickie snack of five Hershey Kisses for just a few points. Great satisfier when I need them! I’ve lost 40 pounds and still am trying to lose more to get to my goal weight – lot’s more. Good luck Jasmine – it should be more about how you feel healthwise, but I think you look fabulous as you are!

23. Tanya Perez

November 27th, 2007 at 10:03 pm

My workouts start tomorrow! I HAVE to shed some pounds before Feb/March. Should have done that before our shoot with you, but had no willpower. 🙂 Once I get thin and hot we can do some new ones one day. LOL

24. Jamie Delaine

November 27th, 2007 at 10:37 pm

What are you seeing? You are thin and gorgeous girl!

25. Annie Peterson

November 27th, 2007 at 11:19 pm

Frozen berries with whipped cream on the top don’t really count as fruit, do they?? They’re so yummy! And quite healthy…

26. Donna

November 27th, 2007 at 11:40 pm

I am with you on the dessert thing. I found a way to not eat alot of it I buy the cookies that you have to bake so when I get up to get a snack it is just too much of a hassale to bake them then I grab a bottle of water and get on the computer blog hop…Believe me it works!

27. Trista

November 27th, 2007 at 11:47 pm

LoL..looks like we’re not alone on the whole diet thing Jas!! Hahaha..I’m telling you..I’m going to work out..starting tomorrow 😉

28. mary

November 27th, 2007 at 11:59 pm

you should try the no pudge brownies… i use vanilla soy yogurt in them. sure there is sugar but no fat other than what’s in the yogurt.

29. Jasmine*

November 28th, 2007 at 12:03 am

Oh my…all these suggestions are just awesome!! THANK YOU! And, Chris, I nearly spit on my computer from laughing so hard…"God’s Masterpiece"?!? If that’s the case, I’m a Picasso!! 😉 And for those of you who asked, JD and I are going to Nicaragua for our vacation…I can’t WAIT! 🙂

30. DJ

November 28th, 2007 at 12:55 am

"Vacation" doesn’t even begin to describe where you are going!

🙂

31. Jackie

November 28th, 2007 at 1:59 am

I’m totally with you,…I always need something sweet after dinner…Andes mints are little and do the trick! (Too bad I don’t have any…..)
    Good luck with your BMI contest!
    And I like your background, I have almost the same one!

32. . Mandy Hank Photography

November 28th, 2007 at 2:00 am

I’m on Weight Watchers too and I swear by the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream dessert they have- you have to try it. It’s better than regular ice cream. I could leave you 45 comments about this but you just have to try it, plus it’s only 3 points and it’s cheap too- good luck with the bikini, after 2 kids it just isn’t possible anymore- ahhh those were the days…

33. andie

November 28th, 2007 at 2:36 am

i’m with you fruit is not a dessert! pie, cake, cookie are but not fruit! sugar free pudding and jello are good choises

34. Crystal

November 28th, 2007 at 5:00 am

Jasmine, you are so getting it this weekend!!! You look amazing…but I’ll make sure we have something healthy for you to eat…Krispy Kreme..that’s a healthy fat right? LOL

35. Gavin Wade

November 28th, 2007 at 5:11 am

I’m a private trainer in Irvine Jasmine, I work at the Sports Club L.A.! Email me if you want to win that body fat contest or want some tips on how to lose it quickly!! Hiring a trainer…hmm…thats not cheating right? haha.

36. Meredith

November 28th, 2007 at 11:48 am

I personally like the 100 calorie packs. My favorites are the ice cream sandwiches and the cupcakes.

37. Mary

November 28th, 2007 at 1:01 pm

lol! kumquat!! what about doing the small pack of m&m’s in a big bowl of popcorn trick…you get the sweet but most of it’s not too bad for you! M:)

38. Stacy Cross

November 28th, 2007 at 1:06 pm

You will really really love this . . . .

Get cinnamon graham crackers and put fat free cool whip sandwiched between them.

Freeze the little sandwiches and they taste SO good – just like an ice cream sandwich – seriously, you MUST try it!! Good luck! 🙂

39. kelli

November 28th, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Jasmine, my fellow vegetarian friend, get yourself some of those dark chocolate covered almonds! Not only does a small handful fix your sweet tooth, the dark chocolate is good for antioxidants and the almonds provide good fat and protein! Win Win!

40. Tayler

November 28th, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches- chocolate peanut butter is my favorite but they have all different flavors and are super good as well as low cal/low fat

41. Bob P.

November 28th, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Elan Frozen Yougurt is fantastic!! Try the Cappuccino and Black Raspberry.

42. Geanette

November 28th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Ditto on the skinny cow..but don’r forget to add extra protein powder to JD’s shakes for a few more extra calaries SHHHHH…my hubby and I have these wars ALLL the time!

43. angel swanson

November 28th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

i TOTALLY feel you on the ice cream. it’s my absolute favorite treat. i reiterate some of the suggestions below, especially jello fat free pudding (chocolate) in a pinch. but honestly, i think you have to splurge once in a while or you go nutty! also definitely watch the sugar as much as the fat, calories, etc. xoxo!

44. stacyZ

November 28th, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Put some great icecream at the front and hide yours in the back. Make him morning "protein shakes" and put in peanut butter heck sneak in some weight gainer there too. Pack his lunch – I think cookies cupcakes and peanutbutter sandwiches are in order…whatever his favorite things are. Oh and doesn’t a loving wife always put a special treat to surprise hubby when he gets in the car? heehehe thinking of tons of evil things so you can win!

45. david & kimi b

November 28th, 2007 at 6:53 pm

unless all these photos of you are from high school. i don’t think you have anything to worry about.) plus you should win on cuteness alone! 🙂

46. carlie

November 28th, 2007 at 10:27 pm

OOOHHH skinny cow ice cream sandwiches.. boy do i agree!! chocolate peanut butter is the BEST!! i can even swear by them because gabriel shares them with me. even he likes them!! keep truckin girl.. i hate every minute.. biggest loser inspires me. 🙂

47. Scarlett Lillian

November 28th, 2007 at 11:12 pm

LOLOLOL. Ok, first, I think you are STUNNING just the way you are….. but I totally relate, I die without something sweet after a meal too! Have you heard of So Delicious Soy Ice Cream? I know, most soy/rice ice creams are gross, but this brand is actually very delicious. The chocolate actually tastes like chocolate. Sure, it’s still dessert, but better for you with out all the fattening dairy.

48. Jennifer

November 29th, 2007 at 4:11 pm

HILARIOUS! Eat a big egg white veggy omlet for breakfast. It’ll keep you full all morning. Lots of lean meats and green veggies. You know what’s good? Cool whip free with crushed up low-fat oreo cookies on it. YUM.

49. Jan

November 29th, 2007 at 6:42 pm

Nice! You are a brave one! Only if I had the guts to do that…Ice Cream is my passion.

50. Margo

November 29th, 2007 at 7:40 pm

My recommendation is fruit. I know you said it’s not, but it’s my favorite dessert. A few strawberries, a kiwi, pears (my favorite lately – good thing I live in pear country!) or even a little grapefruit. Try fruit with a little honey and some lowfat yogurt and see if that helps any.

51. Regina

November 30th, 2007 at 2:17 pm

Love it JD is so like my husband becasue he loves me too like he likes his milkshakes. I hope he does more now since I am 7 months pregnant.

52. Mary Jane

November 30th, 2007 at 7:34 pm

Jasmine – you are too funny! You are beautiful.

And don’t worry, I won’t make you have a piece of my homemade pie on Saturday… 🙂

53. davina

December 1st, 2007 at 12:43 am

Jasmine, you are so funny. You’re a girl after my own heart…I HAVE to have a sweet treat after dinner. It takes everything I can muster not to have one. It’s the worst when I’m trying to lose weight; which would be right now…ugh. Best of luck to you shedding the pounds for your vacation. Really, though, your vacation will be awesome. How fun!

54. Greer Rivera

December 1st, 2007 at 11:51 pm

I am also ADDICTED to sweets, and what’s worse is I live in the caribbean, meaning I’m SHOOTING in swimsuits a lot of the time! HELP!

55. Greer Rivera

December 1st, 2007 at 11:53 pm

and a good substitute for dessert is sugar free jello!

56. Jenae

December 3rd, 2007 at 2:50 am

well…i tend to be a fellow ‘something sweet after dinner’ person myself… and my best suggestion is to just have a little something…vs…a lot… and my key to that is something that i wouldn’t want much more of… one piece of dark chocolate, (which has lots of antioxidants), two being raisins and cranberries and maybe a couple marshmallows … everything in moderation I say…and then sometimes… you think your craving sweets when really maybe if you ate more fruits and veggies your body would really have what it needed and not send out random cravings…:0 or mine i guess 🙂 good luck!

57. Samantha Bender

December 3rd, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Fruit smoothies rock! Lots of fruit, apple juice and bananas sweeten it up.
    By the way, you’re awesome! Color the world BLU xoxo

58. Stacy Reeves

December 18th, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Try the No-Pudge Brownie Mix! You can get it at Whole Goods and some grocery store chains.. You mix two tablespoons of brownie mix with one tablespoon of nonfat vanilla yogust, pop it in the microwave for one minute, and voila, a 120 calorie brownie!!! They are SOOOO good! I like to put a little nonfat whipped cream on mine, too 🙂

59. kay english

July 29th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

hahaha.. do you still eat this? It looks yummy tho even though its only 100 cals

60. Rachel Hnizdil

March 1st, 2012 at 4:02 pm

After reading this old blog post I wish I could be in person to tell you this (along with giving you a giant hug!): thinness is not beauty, and the depth of life’s enjoyment is not measured by the number on the scale. You are gorgeous just as you are, and you should be fully enjoying that! Life is short and every day is a gift that should be lived to the fullest….and that means enjoying dessert as well!:) You should read the amazing book by Jessica Weiner – Life Doesn’t Begin 5 Pounds From Now! It’s amazing and I believe every woman should read it!! Enjoy!:)