Cobbler, Relationship Advice, + Twit TV

Personal

Last night a small group of friends came over for peach cobbler. Homemade peach cobbler. I didn’t make it, but it was prepared in my kitchen and I have an awesome oven, so that’s got to count for something, right? As Brianna served the steaming cobbler, we talked about relationships.

Oh, and talking? I’m the Wolfgang Puck of talking, so it was finally something I could do without feeling impotent in the kitchen.

At the end of a long evening, JD turned to me and said he was impressed with my relationship advice. Right about then my mouth dropped open. Like, so open my lips formed an Oprah “O”. Brianna made shrimp scampi and homemade cobbler and batted her eyes the entire night, and he compliments my advice? Oh, Internet, that man just done DRANK THE KOOLAID. Amen.

If you’d like to see me talk (sorry, no relationship advice this time!), I had the distinct honor of being a guest on TwitTV. This hour interview covers a handful of photography tips, including:
*Some of the mistakes I’ve made.
*Using natural reflectors.
*Photographing with high ISO.
*Advice for starting a photography business.
*Collaborating with wedding vendors.
*Second shooter advice.
*Teaching yourself how to shoot manually.
…and much more.

For who turned in for the live broadcast yesterday, thank you. Your support and encouragement mean the world to me.

Happy Thursday!

comments

1. The Detailed Life

August 11th, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I gave myself homework assignments also and still do! I take pictures every day and learn constantly… self-taught is the best!
    It’s always nice hearing what your experiences were/are.

2. Life with Kaishon

August 11th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

: )
    Like the word picture of Brianna batting her eyes. Cute.

3. Rachel Tatem

August 11th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Just because you can’t make cobbler doesn’t mean you can’t give good advice. I find that good advice comes from experience and you and JD would have to have had a lot of relationship experience with all that you two work together. So Brianna may have her cobbler but you have your wisdom.
    (though the cobbler probably tastes better)

4. Kristin Nicole

August 11th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Loved the interview, and giving good advice is way more important then making peach cobbler.

5. Gwen

August 11th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

So inspirational!! Thank you! Meaning to ask you…. does JD have a younger, available brother….? ; )

6. Christin

August 11th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for posting this interview, Jasmine! So many things in there that I needed to hear today. Thanks!

7. Steph

August 11th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Thank you so much for posting the video, I watched you live but it kept freezing up so I missed a bunch. Now I can see what I missed!

8. Raquita

August 11th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Husbands typically drink the Kool Aid, its required for a happy marriage.

9. Katie S

August 11th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

J* thank you so much for this post. I was thrown into photogrpahy as a side to my many tasks for my job and have slowly fallen in love with it. I am learning to shoot in manual mode and your posting today is really helping me narrow down what to focus on and to take the whole thing in steps as its a lot to learn espcially if you have no clue what you are doing.– Love your work and God Bless

10. jessica vidmar photography

August 11th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

jasmine your video made me cry…but that’s a good thing : )

11. amanda

August 11th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I think it’s so cool that Star is your middle name and that you used that for your business!! My mom named my middle name Truth after my great-grandmother Truth, and that’s why I decided to name my business Amanda Truth Photography. Glad to know I’m not the only one who has a deep appreciation for her middle name! 🙂

12. Rachel Tatem

August 11th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

This is kind of random but how did your husband get his experience behind the camera? How did he get his start with weddings? I assume it played in with yours to a degree.

13. jessica rensch

August 11th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

jasmine, i cry every time i see your promo video. your words just hit home every time. much love.

14. Natalia

August 11th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’m always amazed at how much you give back, Jasmine. That you take your time to guide others. Here in France, it’s quite the opposite – the rule is to safeguard your secrets of trade. Your approach is refreshing.

15. Liz Lovi

August 11th, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I can’t wait to watch it!! THANK YOU for being so open and for just being you 🙂

16. Robyn

August 11th, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Just finished watching the entire thing! Loved it! Thanks for posting the video, J. 🙂

17. Ceresa Caudill

August 11th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

thank you, jasmine!! always appreciate your honesty and humility and LOVE viewing your true to life images.

18. Ashley Perez

August 11th, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Jasmine, I’ve heard you speak a billion times but yet every time I do, I learn something new. And perhaps even more than that, listening to you makes me feel positive about the future and ready to take on new challenges. Thank you for being you.

19. Tammy

August 11th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I’ve only been following your blog for a few months now, but am impressed with you not only as a photography, but very much as a person as well. I love your philosophies, the way you talk about interacting with clients, and the fact that you live an open book. Thanks for allowing yourself to be inspirational to others.

20. Falcon

August 12th, 2011 at 1:13 am

Just wanted to say that I got to watch your Twit Photo interview last night and absolutely loved it! Thanks as always for sharing your insight and experience 🙂

21. Elizabeth Baxter

August 12th, 2011 at 3:08 am

I really enjoyed watching this video. I think you really speak well to the aspects of a photography business that are a bit harder to put words too- it’s refreshing and helping me to put vision to what I want to grow in as a photographer. Thanks!

22. emily

August 12th, 2011 at 8:23 am

thank you SO much for sharing this! i was well away from my computer during the live broadcast and was hoping there would be a way to catch it later. an inspiration, as always 🙂

23. Averie

August 12th, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I just found your work, your blog, your photography…and I am so inspired!! I live in San Diego and would love to meet you or watch you in action one day!!! I love that you followed your passion and dreams and are doing what you love!

24. Jennifer Hudspeth

August 12th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Thank you for staying true to who you are. You have helped me so much over the years. I finally am feeling confident to go out on my own and take a full leap in to the world of photography.

25. Rachel Marie Photography

August 12th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Your video was such a big help. You hit all the major areas that I tend to have questions in. Thanks again for your insight!

26. LEOLAK

August 12th, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Awesomeness…thanks for posting! Love the way you share so much. Thank you!

27. Kiki

August 13th, 2011 at 5:09 am

I know you get this a lot, but you are SUCH an inspiration. The things you talked about in this interview really resonated with me in a way I didn’t even stop to think about before.

I didn’t grow up as an obese child, but for a lack of better words I was extremely poor, dirty and a bit of an ugly duckling. The fact that I was also a tomboy was the cherry on top and I was teased relentlessly. I had horrible teeth – and still kind of do – nothing compared to my childhood, though. Imagine cavities… Everywhere. Even on my front teeth. My family didn’t have enough money to get them fixed until I was a junior in high school.

The funny thing is, you talk about being an "outgoing introvert." That you had to force yourself to be outgoing despite your shy disposition. I realized the opposite is true for me, but I still relate to you on that level – I have ALWAYS been a boisterous, bubbly and loud character but because of my experience growing up I’ve often been forced to be introverted. This stands in the way for me when I meet new clients because I WANT to be loud and laugh and say "HEY GUYS! HOW’S IT GOING?!" but I feel shy and hide inside my shell, worried what the clients might think of me. When, as you said, the clients are just as shy and nervous as we ~*arteests*~ are, haha. 🙂

Anyway, I didn’t mean to ramble so much, I’m really sorry for writing a freaking encyclopedia on my life here. But I just wanted to say that you hit the nail on the head for me – and SO many others, I’m sure – and that BECAUSE of our trials we experienced while growing up WE CAN BECOME better artists if we don’t let it bring us down and learn to GROW from it instead.

VIVA LA WALLFLOWERS! 🙂

August 14th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I’ve heard you speak so many times now, but I always pick up a new nugget! What really spoke to me this time was your explanation on how you decided to get uncomfortable when needed to make your clients comfortable. And it’s not about being fake, or unreal, but bringing out the side of yourself that’s needed for the situation. Outgoing introverted is totally me for that reason!

29. Donna Richens

August 15th, 2011 at 9:59 am

Fantastic as always Jasmine. I think what ever anyone wants to suceed at in life…they should keep a little Jasmine Star on their shoulder as a reminder of faith and inspiration! 🙂 xx

30. Man with a Camera

August 15th, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Great tips Jasmine. I love your honesty and they way you share your successes AND failures – that really is the best way to learn.

31. Christina Juleson

August 16th, 2011 at 3:56 am

I saw it before you blogged it. I have to say I literally LOL’d when the screen froze… It’s not good TV til something funny happens.. u were a great sport and I DEFINITLY will benefit from a lot of things you spoke about. Thanks for always being so out there!

32. Caroline

August 16th, 2011 at 11:46 pm

So brilliant! Thank you for sharing so much!
    O

33. Regina Marie

August 17th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

You’re story is amazing, (and I never tire of hearing it). You’re work is amazing. YOU are simply amazing. You really are an inspiration!

34. Logan

August 22nd, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Really loved the interview, thanks!

35. Troy Doherty

August 25th, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I have just listened to your interview and I really want to thank you for everything you said and all the advice you gave. It was the part about getting your DSLR, starting to shoot thinking about how good all your photos will be then the realisation your rubbish. This is exactly how I felt and hearing it from you has given me that glimmer of hope that one day, just maybe, my snapshots will become a little more than just snapshots. Thank you!!

36. Mandi NIkole

September 7th, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Just watched the interview. It was great. Thank you for sharing so much about your life and business. So much good advice. I’m just starting my business and can really use it.

Thanks,
    Mandi

37. Kismet

September 27th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I don’t think I have EVER sat through an hour long interview before and been so engrossed!!!!
    Great way to end my day-it was fun!!
    Thank you for being so candid-great advice for us amateur photographers 🙂