Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Personal

Sometimes Jay-Z just gets to me. Like in that uhhh, nah, nah, nahhh kind of way. Makes me want to raise an angry fist, wax poetically about my lover, or talk trash. Or drop lyrics about a city I love. When he raps about New York City, I envy his passion and skill. Well, because, of his passion and skill, but also because I just didn’t understand it. I’ve been to the Big Apple five times and all five times I walked away thinking, So THAT’S what people make a big deal about? I know, I know, there’s some neu yawker out there who’s planning to set my feet in cement and drop me in the Hudson because I just said that, but wait. There’s more.

JD and I spent a few days in New York and I have to say I finally got it. Whatever the it is. It hit me like a raging bull and I merely hung on for the ride. We booked a last-minute shoot and the next thing you know, we’re staying in the city, walking through Central Park, haling cabs, and walking with our heads down focusing on the snow-covered floor. That last part? Soooo New Yorker.

Pictures from the shoot are coming soon, but in the mean time, here’s a few iphone snapshots of our trip…
Breakfast at EAT Cafe, The Met, Times Square at Night, Me (laughing, per usual), The sun trying to shine despite the cold weather.
Coffee (which we usually don’t drink but wanted to be cool), Soho, Filming a segment for The Knot TV, My humor (at it’s worst), Me in front of fancy stairs.

I fell in love. With everything. With everyone. With the chance of imagining myself walking the streets and owning them. I felt alive and in that moment, I realized Jay-Z might be onto something… In New York,Concrete jungle where dreams are made of, There’s nothing you can’t do, Now you’re in New York,These streets will make you feel brand new, The lights will inspire you, Let’s here it for New York, New York, New York…

comments

1. Jihan Cerda -

Amazing!!! I can’t wait to go back!

2.22.10 - 5:55 pm

2. Jonathan Encarnacion -

Too funny! You’re a truly ghetto. 😀

2.22.10 - 6:03 pm

3. joan solitario -

i don’t think i’ll ever get tired of visit the Big Apple either :o) Can’t wait to see more pictures!!

2.22.10 - 6:03 pm

4. Caitlin -

I feel the same way. I’ve only been once, but it truly is the greatest. You just feel like with every step you take you’re closer to your destiny to be a superstar. I love it.

2.22.10 - 6:03 pm

5. anda -

first, i love the photos. second, almost all my college friends live in NYC now … and i still don’t "get" it, haha. but i do love visiting — that’s for sure!

2.22.10 - 6:04 pm

6. Kelli -

I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else! I love it here. I would have loved to have met you, but hopefully I’ll see you in Vegas.

2.22.10 - 6:04 pm

7. Myrn -

One day I’ll get to go to New York! Awesome post Jasmine!

2.22.10 - 6:07 pm

8. teresa -

loves it….

2.22.10 - 6:07 pm

9. Dee -

EEE! I’m loving these pictures! I’ve always wondered how my city would look through your lens! Sooo cool! 🙂

2.22.10 - 6:08 pm

10. Lorrie Prothero -

OMG – great pics, but I sprayed coffee ALL OVER my screen when I saw the shot of JD at the bulls end (what exactly were you implying here?) ha ha

2.22.10 - 6:09 pm

11. Marisol Izaguirre -

🙂 This made me smile and want to visit New York.. almost went to school there…

2.22.10 - 6:09 pm

12. Judie Zevack -

Great shots Jasmine!! I love looking at my home through other people’s eyes!! New York never gets boring! You should definitely have a workshop here, you won’t regret it!

2.22.10 - 6:10 pm

13. Jackie Armstrong -

you’ve got to be one of THEE coolest photographers/people/bloggers on these here Interwebs. lol. i love reading what you have to say and HOW you say it. and now that i’ve seen a clip of you in action, i’ve GOT to make it to one of your workshops. God bless, and i pray for your continued success! 🙂

2.22.10 - 6:10 pm

14. heaven -

Once NYC bites.. there is no going back. I adore that city beyond reason. The energy.. creativity…the life there feels unstoppable. Cheers to you finding it this trip!

2.22.10 - 6:10 pm

15. nicolenjoli -

I <3 New York… cant wait to go back, on my first visit- I did get it…It is so different from Cali…in a great way…The energy there is something you have to experience. It was funny that the new yorkers could tell I was from Cali everytime?? One guy said I scream California…I dont know exactly why but It’s true, I am a California girl:)

2.22.10 - 6:10 pm

16. Leyla -

I Love, Love, Love New York, and have to absolutely live there for at least a year in my life time… There is definitely something in the air in NYC, the vibe, the streets, the energy =) I love it all

2.22.10 - 6:11 pm

17. Tricia -

Oh, I love it! Hope to make it there someday, among other places. Looks like you guys had a blast! 🙂

2.22.10 - 6:11 pm

18. Yumna -

I want to go to NY, and I’m in Dubai!!

2.22.10 - 6:11 pm

19. Deyla Huss Photography -

So Fab!! I ADORE NEW YORK in all its splendid and beautiful qualities. It makes a girl feel kinda cool and all big and stuff 🙂 cuz well thats New York! Thanks for sharing and cant wait to see your photos from your shoot!

2.22.10 - 6:16 pm

20. Jamie -

Oh man, I LOVE that city. Can’t wait to see what you were doin’ there!

2.22.10 - 6:16 pm

21. elizabeth holder -

It’s true:
    there’s something about it that get’s to you –
    can’t wait to see the rest of your photos – I am sure they are fabulous!!!

2.22.10 - 6:17 pm

22. Jackie Beale -

I was born and raised in Queens NYC and this is exactly how I feel everytime I go back and visit my home 🙂

2.22.10 - 6:18 pm

23. Carolyn -

Yup, the Jigga man knows what he’s talking about!!! Best city on Earth!!

2.22.10 - 6:18 pm

24. Marilyn Sanchez -

I had the pleasure of living in NYC for years when I was younger. There was always a Song in the Air in that place, not one to hear through ears. You know how when you are little, places seem really big…and then when you grow up, they don’t seem that big anymore. Well, New York City never got small for me. It still remains to be the enchanting giant it always was.

2.22.10 - 6:19 pm

25. Yadira Laguerre -

YESSSSSS! So happy you took a big bite out of the NY apple and got "it". There’s no place like it….come more often =)

2.22.10 - 6:23 pm

26. Kirsten Staggs Bitzer -

My husband and I went for a few days after our honeymoon (a honeymoon add-on, if you will) and I felt the same way–like, THIS IS IT? I still feel that way, but maybe after my fifth time there, I’ll have an epiphany. Maybe.

2.22.10 - 6:24 pm

27. Nataschia Wielink -

I heart NYC. and I heart that Jay-Z song …oh and I heart your images.

2.22.10 - 6:25 pm

28. nathan ciurzynski -

Love the picture in front of the bum crack…hilarious!

2.22.10 - 6:30 pm

29. britney -

oh new york (sigh). its simply fabulous when you really get to experience it. can’t wait to see pic from your trip!

2.22.10 - 6:30 pm

30. Tara -

WOW!! I know exactly what you mean!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE New York and am enthralled by the Jay-Z song too, for that very reason. Thanks for sharing!

2.22.10 - 6:32 pm

31. Nevada -

My husband took me to New York, first and only time, about 12 years ago. I fell in love alot…1st night dinner atop the twin towers, stayed at The Plaza, carriage ride and dinner at Tavern on the Green and had s’mores. Fancy dress and husband handsome went to Phantom of the Opera and drinks at Sardi’s. It was magical and then it happened! Central Park eating an ice cream and a homeless women attacked me! Wanted to go back to my safe Florida home asap! <3

2.22.10 - 6:32 pm

32. jamie delaine -

i totally know the "i don’t see what all the fuss is about" feeling. i’ve been twice and i’m still waiting for it to hit me? maybe i need to return 3x. 😉

2.22.10 - 6:32 pm

33. JulieLim -

Haha! What a wonderful post 🙂 I’ll be heading to NYC to meet a GREAT photographer up there and my friends and I decided to make it a fun trip. We ALL needed some ‘slap in the face’ inspiration! So, we’re packing and we’re heading over there and I am pretty sure we’ll be jamming Jay-Z’s song 😛

2.22.10 - 6:33 pm

34. Nori -

Waaaa, you were here??

New York is the bomb!! And I love that ‘outsiders’ recognize it. It really is the best city in the world =o) I’m so glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. Now, book another trip and hold a workshop. Ya herrrd??

;o)

2.22.10 - 7:42 pm

35. Jessica G -

I was lucky enough to spend a couple of summers in NYC when I was a teenager. Nothing can compare to that city – I’m glad you were able to feel it!

2.22.10 - 7:52 pm

36. James -

First, that song wouldn’t even be a hit without the girl behind the mic Ms. Alicia Keys

Just saying

2.22.10 - 8:00 pm

37. Regina White -

Lovin NY anytime of the year anytime of the day! I must go back soon. Love the photos.

Oh! and lovin some JZ right now thanks J*. =)

2.22.10 - 8:02 pm

38. Jasmine* -

@James: Duly noted. 😉

2.22.10 - 8:03 pm

39. Paola -

LOVE IT!! Loved NYC… Jay-Z’s song came out after our trip & hubby and I just about flipped out when we 1st heard it!!

2.22.10 - 8:09 pm

40. erin. -

Love this post. I’m from NY so I really don’t get thrilled to venture around my own city. I always love to hear/see about other folks’ adventures though so I can’t wait to see the shoot & everything else from the concrete jungle.

2.22.10 - 8:46 pm

41. jenny -

looks like so much fun ! I’ve never been to NYC, hopefully will get a chance to go soon !

2.22.10 - 9:00 pm

42. Alexandra -

I do love that song 🙂

2.22.10 - 9:12 pm

43. megmanionsilliker -

i heart new york. any day any hour any month any minute. all fabulous. still dream of living there. how different my life would be if i had chosen nyc instead of bean town. it’s all good.

2.22.10 - 9:21 pm

44. Catie Ronquillo -

Word up on Alicia Keys. There’s just something amazing about New York. I’ve been three times. Once right after studying abroad in France, and it just brought me back to a wonderful European vibe…in the US. I need to take my husband on the next trip to NYC. Love NY.

2.22.10 - 9:29 pm

45. Melissa -

Ahhhhhh NYC……my home town, love it!!! I’m so glad you and JD had such an amazing time while you were here. Nothing has ever surprised me here, everywhere you turn there is something to see. I can never see leaving this great city or going to far from it but then again never say never, right? And Central Park is my most favorite place in the WORLD!!! I have spent days on end in that part with my camera. Please come back soon and maybe do a workshop. You will be welcomed with open arms!!!

2.22.10 - 9:34 pm

46. Harmony Loves -

I love, love, love NYC! It took me awhile too but once you get the hang of it, man, it’s a blast. So happy for your new projects, can’t wait to see! 🙂

2.22.10 - 9:35 pm

47. Donna Boucher -

Sex and the City made me love NY.

I want to go to there.

;o)

2.22.10 - 9:42 pm

48. Andrinique Special Events -

Let’s hear it for NY, NY NYYYY..

I am a native NY’er, currently living in LA…. I am glad you get NY and her vibe …

I get so home sick when I hear of ppl experiencing my home town… me gotta get back home… I will be clicking my heels together like Dorothy, and moving back soon!

2.22.10 - 10:07 pm

49. Valerie -

I absolutely love New York. I would love to live in the city, I don’t care if I don’t have a yard. But like many other things in my life, I have a kid and a husband and apparently that means that MY dreams are always on the backseat. Don’t have kids Jasmine. And be thankful that you have such a wonderful husband that supports everything that you do. Sorry for the negativity, I’m having a horrible day. I wish I had your heart.

2.22.10 - 10:27 pm

50. kay drenth -

LOL I have that same photo of my hubby with that bull. I think that is a must for any NYC tourist.

2.22.10 - 10:30 pm

51. Kim -

I live in Northern NJ and I go to NYC all the time and I have yet to see the bull. Love the pictures.

2.22.10 - 11:43 pm

52. levell -

the only place i’m wanting to go really bad…..

2.22.10 - 11:50 pm

53. Kristie -

Jasmine, you are such an inspiration! I started reading your blog almost a year ago and haven’t commented till now – crazy! Just wanted to say thanks for being so amazing and for giving me something to look forward to after i conquer my inbox every morning, lol. Bless ya

2.22.10 - 11:54 pm

54. Lisa H. Chang -

I LOVE NY! Did since the first time I went to the big city. But then for a country girl like me, there’s a lot to impress! 🙂

2.22.10 - 11:55 pm

55. Michelle Sidles -

ShakeIt baby!! 😉 Looks like fun!

2.23.10 - 12:09 am

56. Liz -

I grew up in NY and ALWAYS WALKED WITH MY HEAD DOWN. The first time I resisted the natural instinct, I had a day full of celeb sights 🙂 Years later, I’ve changed my ways and started seeing the world around me!

2.23.10 - 12:36 am

57. Lydia -

Definitely a place I want to visit again! This time with a camera that works!

2.23.10 - 1:11 am

58. ellie Mohammadi -

come back, new york already misses you and so do I. Hope you had an amazing time.

2.23.10 - 1:13 am

59. kim james -

I lived in Manhattan modeling for elite dancing at studio 54, went back a few times as fashion model agent for networking meetings and I shot a wedding on at 91st and 5th this summer . I finally fell in Love with New York this summer and I got to do it with my husband. We will never forget one of the best days of our marriage (20 years) in central park at the met. I am so happy for you. There is nothing like falling in love with NYC.

2.23.10 - 1:29 am

60. jason groupp -

WHAT?!? You were in NYC and didn’t say HI?! Shame! 🙂

Can’t wait to see your pics, I’m glad you finally got it!! Now you’re hooked, and it will always bring you back – each time you’ll find a new New York you didn’t "get" the last time….. that’s what the saying I &#9829; NY really means. 🙂

2.23.10 - 1:38 am

61. Laurie Bracewell -

I love that song! Makes you want to move there and be part of the big city. And, yes, Miss Alicia Keys helps make that song what it is, for sure!

2.23.10 - 2:05 am

62. LEOLAK -

I agree w/ Janes…no that song would NOT be a hit w/o Ms. Keys! That’s my favorite and only reason why I listen to the song!

Thanks for sharing your experience in the NYC J*!! Your stories are always so uplifting! I’m hoping I get to hear you speak on March 8th – got my fingers crossed!

2.23.10 - 2:12 am

63. samantha -

love your passion and drive.

2.23.10 - 2:29 am

64. emily -

I am a native southern Californian but the best way I can explain it is that I have New York in my blood. I announced to my family when I was 3 that I was moving to the big apple. Just a matter of time now!

2.23.10 - 2:47 am

65. Damaris Mia -

Love that song.. haha. I sooo want to visit New York one day!! I heard the best time to visit is in the spring. One day… Glad you had a great time! Can’t wait to see the pictures from the shoot!

2.23.10 - 3:19 am

66. j gar -

Great pictures. My friends and I took a road trip there in November and that was our theme song for the journey!

2.23.10 - 3:26 am

67. Teresa K -

It is an amazing city…and so much fun to visit…but once a California girl…you know the rest!

2.23.10 - 3:52 am

68. corey -

J* I feel you on the New York, I have been there several times and I live in the midwest next to da Derrty derrty… And I love it I was just there during photo expo in Oct when that song was oh so hot.. and I walked in times square a club was bangin it so loud and you could see all race’s noddin the heads diddy boppn and the whole nine.. It is really majical the song definetely makes me wanna jump a flight and go back real soon and shoot shoot shooot..!

2.23.10 - 4:39 am

69. Josie -

NY, no place better!

Btw, It’s BIG lights will inspire you, not THE lights…

2.23.10 - 5:35 am

70. feuza -

so East Coast love ya and next time you around just holla cause we want to meet you seriously, so many photogs wishing for your workshop here, just snap and we are in

2.23.10 - 5:40 am

71. mag -

you went all the way to wall street and you didn’ t put your head in the bulls butt? 😉 glad you made it to NYC but that wasn’t for a workshop, was it? b/c if it was i will go down to my basement and never come out! if not, why not? and when will there be one?

2.23.10 - 5:58 am

72. mag -

2.23.10 - 5:58 am

73. jaana -

It sounds so silly because I’ve been to New York ONCE, but I fell so madly, deeply in love that I totally get what you’re saying. And my dorky ass can be brought to tears listening to that song!

2.23.10 - 7:34 am

74. hikiko -

i also ask myself "what is in NY that people make a big deal about?"
    because for me TOKYO is the best city ever, everything is "more" than NY, sorry guys!
    i love big cities but NY isn’t the only one…take a trip to hong kong, shanghai, rio de janeiro,cairo…and you’ll see!

2.23.10 - 8:06 am

75. sadie higs photography -

Love this! That city gets me everytime. It makes you feel like your in the center of the world and can do anything! Glad you’re enjoying it!

2.23.10 - 10:19 am

76. Sherina Gallagher -

Love this post Jasmine*! I was a kid the last time I visited New York City. I remember thinking, "I want to be a New Yorker when I grow up." Although I never became one, I plan to soon go back, and pretend to be one for at least a day. Awesome pictures!

2.23.10 - 1:28 pm

77. Nellie Guerrero -

I love that song! It makes me feel brand new 🙂

2.23.10 - 5:07 pm

78. Eliana B. -

Being a NY’er I am so glad you were able to finally get it about our city. It is true there is nothing you cannot do in NY!

2.23.10 - 6:24 pm

79. Stephanie Stewart -

LOVE this post, and love Jay-Z’s song…it is inspiring! I would love to visit the Big Apple someday…love your images, can’t wait to see more!!

2.23.10 - 6:24 pm

80. Oakstream Photography -

I have always wanted to go to New York! A must see place one day before I die 🙂

2.23.10 - 6:36 pm

81. lynda -

i absolutely loooooove new york. it’s such a special place for me & my honey. memories of our first trip together there for new year’s, kissing on the sidewalk in the rain, taking the train out to see the ocean, and eating ah-maz-ing food. had i known you were headed there i would have sent you some of my favorite new york places to go eat! if you’re ever headed back hit me up, i know some GREAT places, including wicked bloody mary’s, meat on a stick with pitchers of beer, sushi, and cool secret bars. 😉 <3

2.23.10 - 7:07 pm

82. JenC -

Ooh NYC! I did my Bachelorette Craziness in this City, will never forget! 😉

2.24.10 - 3:19 pm

83. annie Robillard -

Quite a city! I feel the same way about where I am from, Montreal, the vibe is so alive. Love the mag style blog, I feel like I would be reading Vogue or Elle. great!

2.24.10 - 4:05 pm

84. kelly beane -

I’ve never been but dream of visiting NYC. Even my 5 yr old who’s heard parts of the song wants to go because of it. 🙂

2.24.10 - 8:28 pm

85. cassandra m -

I fell in LOVE…my first trip. love the misc pics. NY NY…I fell in love too.

2.25.10 - 12:42 am

86. Brandi Welch -

My best friend and I had been talking about going to NY for years and finally decided last fall to make it happen. We figured if we were going soon…might as well do it with thousands of other tourist during NEW YEARS! It was amazing!! We fell in love with the buildings, the lighting, the shops on every streets, the people, the subway (which we got separated on!), the NYPD officers (one in particular who let us past the gate at the last minute so we could see the ball drop, oh and the shows!! It was soooo cold though so I mainly got my camera out for the "touristy" pics. Initially I was scared I’d get mugged for my camera and that’s the reason I left my 50d at home and just took my digital rebel 😉 But we booked another trip in June when it will be warmer…so my 50d is coming along! Glad you finally got the "love" for it!!

2.25.10 - 4:31 am

87. Evonne Wong -

I LOVE Neu Yawk! There is just no place like it… can’t wait to see more photos from your trip.

2.26.10 - 1:56 am

88. Susannah -

I am totally and utterly obsessed with that song. There’s nothing wrong with loving some Jay-Z and Alicia Keys. No shame. That song successfully makes me want to go to NY every time. and your pictures just multiplied that x100. Thanks. Im gonna go book my trip now… 🙂

2.26.10 - 10:08 am

89. Brittani -

Wow, I am very jealous!! I have wanted to go to New York all my life!! Aanndd..I have every intention of going this fall!!! And the best part, you ask? (ok, u didn’t really ask, but I will share with you anyways =] ) I get my camera in 2 weeks!! I love your photos. Did you take anymore in NY?

3.2.10 - 2:19 pm

90. Tracy -

I love that song, and I love NYC although I have only been once and it was about 8 years ago. I would love to go back someday!

3.4.11 - 3:47 pm