Dance Like No One is Watching

Over breakfast with my best friend Brianna, JD animatedly recounted our recent packing experience for a one-night stay in San Diego. He was orchestrating a symphony of emotional suspense and hit the high note saying, …and then, I asked if Jasmine was going to take her computer and she said No! Brianna let out an audible gasp. The kind of gasp one might hear if I said I made out with Barack Obama. Total disbelief. They went back and forth with their No ways and their But she never leaves without its. I soaked my embarrassment in syrup and rolled my eyes.

There’s a reason I left the computer at home. And I have to thank David Wenzel for my decision.

Last week I sat in the stairwell of our home with the phone in my hand and sobbed. JD perched himself on the couch below and let me cry. I had just got off the phone with Amy Wenzel, and she informed me David had brain cancer. And just like that, my world stopped. Because, yes, it was about David and Amy…but it was also about me. Amy held a mirror to my life and it showed I was a hot mess. If priorities were articles of clothing, I’d definitely make the What Not To Wear List.

I cried in the stairwell and I apologized from a distance. Forgive me. I love you. I’m screwing things up. I’m a workaholic. I felt like I was in a 12-step program and, like most rehab groups, admitting I was messed up was the first step. When I started choking on my words and the tears took over, JD climbed up the stairs and sat with me. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and squeezed. Much like an orange, the tighter he squeezed, the more tears fell.

I’m making changes in my life to allow me to lead the life I want. I was caught up in moving fast, but I didn’t know the direction I was going. With many thanks to David Wenzel, I’m finding my way back to the right path. And it’s a path dotted with computerless vacations, long walks, deep breaths, saying no, and dancing in public. Sometimes when I’m unbearably happy, I bust out a dance. It doesn’t matter where I am, I just dance like no one is watching.

Hey, JD, the next time you see me dancing in public, I’m dancing for you. I’m dancing because I’m happy. I’m dancing because while I don’t know what tomorrow holds, today we have Life. And, dang, it’s beautiful.

The photo above was taken on our trip to San Diego…thanks for your mad photo skillz, Bri! 😉

1. Evelyn Perez

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:47 pm

AMEN sister!!!!

2. B

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Life IS beautiful. More beautiful because you are in it and we get to have you to spend it with. I love you, best friend. Thanks for not saying no to dinner last night. 143

3. kelli d

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:52 pm

great post, jasmine. it’s unfortunate that it sometimes takes bad news to help us reprioritize and refocus on what is most important. i am praying for healing for your dear friend. may god continue to bless your marriage, your family, and your work!!

4. Amy Schubert

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:57 pm

you’re always inspiring.

5. cassandra m

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I think you may be a little hard on yourself there girlie. YOU always remind everyone to work hard BUT to live and laugh and love and enjoy life. You always remind us. But work can be overwhelming, so I am glad you are remembering to relax…

6. Allison Waken

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I like to dance too, no matter where I am (I have been known to do it quite a bit at the gym) but haven’t in a while. Thank you for taking the time to remind me.

7. Sarah @

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:58 pm

This is such a sweet, lovely post. I don’t even have the words to say how it made me feel.

8. Andrea DV

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I hear you loud and clear Jasmine.

9. Kelly Trimble

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I love that…and while I’m not 1/100,000,000 as busy as you are…I still need to stop, get off the computer, say NO more, and enjoy life. Thanks for the reminder! KIR!

10. LS

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Beautiful post, Jasmine. I’ve been reading David’s blog and my heart goes out to him and Amy, along with all my prayers. It’s a terrible excuse, but nonetheless a great reminder of how precious life and love truly are.

11. brianna

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:04 pm

If track doesn’t work out, can I be your second shooter??? XO.

12. Chris c.

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:04 pm

13. jamie delaine

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:05 pm

oh DANG your writing makes me cry. seriously. i’m sitting here teary-eyed. i’ve been making changes to my life much like you said the past two weeks and… it’s definitely hard to put the work down, but when I do: i see there’s life outside my office. 😉

14. Christine (Artemis Clover Photo)

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:05 pm

awwww thank you for the reminder! i think we all need that time to time.

15. Jen Avril-Rae Shannon

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Very cute! I know, it’s hard to balance this business and the husband… I need to take some 12 step therapy lessons in leaving my computer alone too.

16. Christa

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I really shouldn’t read your blog while at work. It’s hard not to burst into tears….but everything you said is so true. Appreciate what you have…we just never know what the future holds 🙂

17. Dede Edwards

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Thanks! We all need a reality check sometimes! You are so right!!

18. Catie Ronquillo

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Beautiful. Thanks for the reminder that we can survive without the computer. Quality time with loved ones rules!!

19. Ken Burg

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Wow! Thanks for the wake-up call!

20. Jamie Sheasby

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:10 pm

David Wenzel has changed all our lives, I’m so grateful you shared his story.

21. Lymarie

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I am in tears! Knowing how precious time spent with loved ones is. Te amo Lovi!

22. Lindsey

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Thanks for the beautiful post Jasmine. As most of your posts do, it has left me inspired and teary!

23. Marissa Rodriguez

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Great post Jasmine!

24. Dustin Francis

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Such a wonderful post! Losing my fiance 6 months ago, really gave me so much perspective…so much of what you speak, I feel…thank you.

25. Shawna Herring

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Thanks. I needed a good cry. You hit the target.

26. Amber

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the reminder J*! You nailed it!

27. brooke bowland

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:15 pm

i am sooooo with you!
    all that the wenzel family is going through has really struck a cord with me and i think its time to take note and really look at things. thank you for putting it in text.

28. Misty Johnson

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:15 pm

You’re optimism is so contagious! Thanks for the ever so needed perspective!

29. Jaleen Lessard

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Jasmine, You said it so perfectly!

30. Kimberlee West

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:16 pm

31. Fishgirl

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Such a wake up call,. my hubby always complain about me and my laptop all the time.. i need to do that too and slow down a little.. thanks for sharing

32. Mary Marantz

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:22 pm

thank you. you have no idea how much I needed to hear that. from one workaholic to another, I appreciate it with my whole heart.

33. Crystal Chick

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:23 pm

34. Jenny Duffy

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Jasmine* start your family! Children will give you an even more grand perspective on enjoying life!

35. Katelyn James

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:37 pm

thank you. It’s so hard to stop working when you love it….but this type of work seems to be able to consume like no other. Thank you, thankyou… and thank you David, God bless you and Amy….I know ya’ll are in the palm of his hand. He is good and sovereign and will carry you through all of this uncertainty and tragedy.

36. Larry Reeves

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Thank you. I love your honesty and real-ness.

37. Megan Beth

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Unfortunately your entire story reads too close to home. Sometimes I wonder if I work so much to cover up the reality.

38. hongyi

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:45 pm

u made me teary reading this! thanks for sharing… 🙂

39. Kathy Carlisle

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Celebrate this…it’s not very often that we have a dose of perspective from someone else’s life that wakes up our desire to change and appreciate life in a simpler form. For you to be so touched by David’s story (as we all are), I think you should celebrate the gift he has given you today. You won’t be the one that waits for her own wake-up call. Beautiful post Jasmine. Keep those dancing shoes on!

40. CharBaiz

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:46 pm

so true. now I’m getting all teary eyed. thanks 🙂

41. Allison

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Totally Agree it can be so hard to look up from lifes to do list and look around but when you do it is amazing! I am inspired to stop smell the roses more and do a little jig its not about the destination but the Journey!

42. Navy Sou

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Awww….Jasmine! YOU’RE beautiful for that post!

43. claire

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Jasmine, do you know the rest of that saying…it is one of the best and my most fav. sayings…and i always dance like no one is watching!

44. MegganB

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:56 pm

perfect. thanks for sharing your heart – it brightens my day.

45. Alison

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I have had a recent wake up call to how precious life, time and relationships are. The Wenzel’s story only slammed it that much further home. I am making myself put down the camera, step away from the computer and just breathe more often. You summed it all up beautifully.

46. Patricia Sampson

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:05 pm

J*…I visit your blog often. I actually think that I am addicted to your gorgeous imagery and heartfelt words. We have never met but I feel like I know you 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing your heart and soul the way that you do. Thank you for the inspiration, the occasional cry and the great giggles! Thank you for the reminder to live life to the fullest. You rock!

47. Lacy Dagerath

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Beautifully written! And Oh So Right! I just hate that it takes something like David’s cancer to wake us up!! I used to feel guilty if I was enjoying life BEFORE I was getting work done… no more! 🙂

48. Shellee Coulter

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I have to stop reading your blog at work….you write everything so beautifully that I usually end up crying!! I love what you said and makes me think about our lives. We spend so much time involved in our business and need to step back and appreciate everything we have….live everyday like its your last!!

49. Stephanie Stewart

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:16 pm

One of my favorites posts of yours. Beautiful and true. Cheers to computer-less vacations and quality time with loved ones!

50. e'lisa

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:17 pm

thank you jasmine for such a wonderful post. it’s comforting knowing i am not alone. it’s a battle to love what you do so much that you kind of lose sight of everything else. workaholic is my middle name, and over the past few months i am realizing i need to slow down. this is just another reminder. thank you.

51. cyndi

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I found myself dancing while in Ikea yesterday and that’s so not like me! Now I know it’s because I was happy and not just crazy like my husband feared as he cruised along behind me!

I love your new philosophy and applaud your desire to balance things in your life. I learned this lesson the hard way almost ten years ago when I lost a very close friend to a car accident. While I try to live a more balanced life, I do tend to forget this lesson in the craziness of daily life. Thanks for the reminder!

52. Diane -

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:18 pm

We all have these special moments in our lives that just make you stop and look around and realize what is or isn’t working for you, before it’s too late or something happens. I’m happy to hear that moment is here for you and the changes to make your time together will be better. Good for you!

53. Lindsay C.

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:23 pm

I’ve followed your blog now for a while – I’m a huge fan, but I’ve never left a comment until now! This post brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on a new you! A lot of people could benefit from reading this. 🙂

54. Janet

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Beautiful…and so true. Thanks for reminding us of what’s important!

55. Gwen

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Teary-eyed. That’s what your post did to me. Thank you for always being so open and honest with us. I’d turn off my computer right this instant…but my supervisor would probably not approve. But I will carry this lesson in my heart and spend some QT with the hubby as soon as I get home; rather than checking my email since I pass the office before having to go upstairs where he usually is. Thanks again.

56. Molly Michel

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:28 pm

A great reminder! Jeff and Julia Woods said at WPPI that your business will take everything you are willing to give it. And that really resonated with me. Sometimes you have to draw the line and say – "no you aren’t getting this." Good for you!

57. Sherri Winstead

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Make a girl cry why don’tcha? Seriously. I don’t post often, but I felt led to do so. My heart sunk regarding David and Amy, and you don’t have ot know them at all to feel a complete sadness over it all. I’m praying!

Your post put my yesterday right into perspective! Photographer and Mom of two boys with autism….well..suffice it to say, it’s not always easy. THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST!!

58. Tira J

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Thank you Jasmine!

59. Dee

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:40 pm

this post made me cry. preach it girl.

60. Shannon

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Jasmine, thanks for posting this!!!

61. Philip Casey

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Kinda looks like JD is showing off some leg there and wearing those awesome boots. LOL

62. Chelsea McGowan

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Thank you. I had a similar moment last night when my son crawled up in my lap and said, "Can you stop playing with other people and play with me?" Broke my heart. Regardless of the goal I’m working toward, I’ll never get this time with him back again. It’s about TODAY.
    Enjoy yourself.

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:01 pm

David has been an inspiration to so many of us. I’m off to doing something besides sit in front of my ‘puter all day!

64. Rose

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I totally agree!

65. Bobbie Brown

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Good for you! I def need to stop and slow down too…

66. Jenny Sun

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:27 pm

dear lord, jasmine, you spoke the words from my heart today. I have been feeling that my work has been eating up my life the past 6 months to a year, and as a result, ive been sick, and on top of that had no time to treasure what really matters to me in life. I am praying for the same guidance and initiation to change my life so that those i love around me will know they really are truly special and that I do love them more than what i do. And more than my computer. God bless you Jasmine. From the bottom of my heart. Im glad you are a christian photographer, who not only takes breathtaking images, but inspires and spills out words of wisdom from our Lord like that. Much love.

67. Angi Davis

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:38 pm

You’re doing the right thing and at such a young age – you’re wise beyond your years, Jasmine. I’m 43 years old, and nothing will interrupt my time with my husband and children. Nothing. Good for you, and peace to your friends…

68. heather

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:46 pm

clearly, you are speaking for a lot of people with this post. Turning the computer off now…

69. Sarah Austin

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:56 pm

No truer words have been spoken. Amen!

70. Karla Perez

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Jasmine, I dont even know you…but I love you! Reading your blog is like a daily routine for me. Today when I get home I will not touch my TV or computer, instead I will give 100% of me to husband. You make me think…like no other. May God continue to bless you. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! K~

71. Tacey

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:16 pm

You are an inspiration…and yes…Life is about savoring the moments, not about how fast your business catapults to the next level. Good for you for getting it… Much love…

72. Arielle

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for this inspiring post… we need constant reminders of what is most important!!

73. Surelyv

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Jasmine, thank you so much for sharing this with us. Our hearts go out to Amy and David. Sometimes the universe sends a wakeup call our way whether we understand its implications or not…..

74. Amanda Picone

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Awesome post!!! I love to dance in public, too. Also because of my amazing husband 🙂 I will truly take to this post to heart when I get home tonight and sit on the couch with him , rather than go straight to the editing chair.

75. danielle

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:48 pm

i’m a long time blog stalker but never post over here in nashville, tn. thanks for linking to your wentzel friends. i’ve passed along his blog to others, too, and have also found his blogging encouraging and challenging. i think your wentzel friends are blessed to have a friend like you!

76. eden lang

June 23rd, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I’m sitting in front of my computer with tears, I really am sorry for all that Amy and David are going through. I wish them the best and am so grateful that I can learn from them. I agree life is better when it is lived! …why is that so hard to remember sometimes?! thanks for your honest thoughts.

77. Alejandra Arroyo

June 23rd, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Wow! That was beautiful Jasmine!! You couldn’t have said it any better. You know there are times I get in the elevator and I see someone just frowning, I smile at them since I am always smiling hoping maybe just maybe that will make them smile and realize one could have it worst! Your friends David and Amy will be in my prayers!!! Lot’s of love from Dallas! =)

78. Amy Starks

June 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I definitely needed this reminder on a day like today – thank you!

79. Ashley

June 23rd, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I was diagnosed with cancer in ’07. I have to say it was a blessing. It made see what was really important and to cherish those moments. My husband really stepped up to the plate helped me through. He was my strength. I was beautiful even when no one else saw it. I’m blessed to have such a wonderful best friend. My prayers to David and Amy.

80. barbara (soon to be dieppa)

June 23rd, 2009 at 10:41 pm

My thoughts and prayers and floating their way.

81. imthiaz houseman

June 23rd, 2009 at 11:24 pm

thank you!

82. Holli True

June 23rd, 2009 at 11:45 pm

LOVE this post, Jasmine! I think life really is all about those little moments that just make your heart smile. I’ve been talking walks with my kids and hubby in the evenings and I swear it’s like cleansing the soul. 🙂 I know I need to get my work done, but I also need to enjoy my family. Enjoy my life. A few weekends ago, Jeff and I shot a wedding up in Washington in the middle of nowhere. No cell service, no cable, no internet. It was amazing!! I’m dancing with you, girl!!

83. Theresa

June 23rd, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Dance, dance……where ever you may be….Dance said the Lord, and I’ll dance said he…. You are lucky to learn the "take a break", and just say"no" lesson before you have kids. It will take you far! Praying for David!

84. Papi

June 23rd, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Jenny Duffy, I LOVED your comment. 10-4. Roger that! I hear you. Jasmine *’s dad. Shheesh!

85. Yuka photo art

June 24th, 2009 at 12:29 am

Thank you!!! You back me in reality! We should enjoy every minute of our life!!!!!

86. Heather

June 24th, 2009 at 12:31 am

Amen to that! I have been following David’s story and it’s definately made me take a step back to take a look at my own life. It’s amazing how quickly I can put important things in the wrong order on my list. David has an incredible outlook on life, and it’s inspired me to get things back in line and start "dancing."

87. Ginger Murray

June 24th, 2009 at 12:43 am

Everyone needs to hear this— *I* needed to hear this. Thank you so much for this post.

I’ll be awaiting further news on David’s condition… praying for them both.

88. Rachel Absher

June 24th, 2009 at 1:52 am

Jasmine, thank you for always bringing me back to what is important. I love your words and I don’t know if you realize just how much wisdom you really do have. I admire you not only as a photographer but as a woman of God.

89. stephanie Hayes

June 24th, 2009 at 2:49 am

Ah. Great post. I think only those who have been touched by the horrible tentacles of cancer can fully begin to wrap their minds around this train of thought. Don’t get me wrong, Cancer is a nasty nasty disease. But at the same time. . . in an odd almost ironic way, it can give you a new way of thinking. A new lease on lease so to speak. It reminds you of what we do have, right here, right now.

Thank you for the inspiration, the laughs and the encouragement.

90. Melissa

June 24th, 2009 at 3:36 am

91. Meredith

June 24th, 2009 at 4:01 am

Good for you j*! This brough tears to my eyes, it also made me see that I to need to stop & slow down. life is just flying past me as i go on in my everyday rut taking things for granted… I think tomorrow I will stop & dance like no one is watching. thanks j* you enspire daily! 🙂

92. Emily Faulknor

June 24th, 2009 at 4:20 am

I am still praying for your friends Jasmine, Gosh I just love your sincerity and vulnerability. You speak truth always. God’s favor is upon you. Blessings to you and JD!

93. Diana

June 24th, 2009 at 4:45 am

I just found your blog a few days ago and fell in love with your work and now Im falling in love with your words. Im sorry to hear about your friend. I know whats it like to go through this and I know its not easy for anyone. But Im glad to hear that its bringing reasons in your life to change for the better. Bless your friends and you and your family.

94. jenifriend

June 24th, 2009 at 5:05 am

you’re speaking the story i just spoke to a friend today…thanks for reminding me…again…the correct order of my priorities.

95. Erica Velasco

June 24th, 2009 at 5:22 am

It’s about time you cut yourself some slack and time!

96. Deyla Huss

June 24th, 2009 at 6:04 am

I sat here today reading your post with my cup of coffee,listening to my children play and be silly as I Blog, edit, work work work. And I think to myself how stupid I have been to have wasted so much precious time stressing about getting that Blog post up or making sure my new marketing materials are ordered and sent, getting that album done today. But really as I know my business is important but not NEARLY as important as my husband and children. So today and more and more I will be shutting off this computer and playing hide and seek with my children and holding my husband and thanking my lord and savior for all that he has blessed me with and cherishing these moments I have. Thanks J* for these gentle reminders, signing off ~ Deyla

97. Nicole Glenn

June 24th, 2009 at 6:19 am

Yes, life is too fast AND too short. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and maybe even smell the roses! Amy and David are in my thoughts and prayers.

98. Amanda

June 24th, 2009 at 6:35 am

Amen sister!!!

99. Nellie Guerrero

June 24th, 2009 at 6:35 am

Oh Jaz…you are truly amazing.

100. Christine

June 24th, 2009 at 6:47 am

=) It usually takes something hard for us to realise what we have. Good for you for taking the steps you are, its good medicine for the soul. PS – Bri’s mad photo skillz captured a beautiful pic!

101. Gina S.

June 24th, 2009 at 7:06 am

Jasmine…this was a touching post. I should be thanking you because your post reminds me to slow down and not to get so wrapped up with work-life. Thank you for sharing your insight…you are an inspiration. P.S. Yay for your trip to San Diego…I’m from San Diego =)

102. Feuza

June 24th, 2009 at 7:08 am

Definetely gotta live like there is no tomorrow- so sad to hear about David, will be praying for him and Amy… I have been so wrapped up in my startup that things are so out of place as far as priorities- thank you for this post

103. Vania - SimplyBloom Photography, LLC

June 24th, 2009 at 7:16 am

Jasmine, JD really sounds like an amazing partner to have. One in a million.

SimplyBloom Photography, LLC

104. Narrelle

June 24th, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Thanks again for your honesty and humility, so beautifully expressed.
    I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see you dance – it brings a smile to my face just to imagine it. 🙂 Thanks for the encouragement.

105. Riz Crescini

June 24th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Jasmine, love this post! My newborn has been occupying most of my time the past couple of days…and…I…love…it!!! Keep speaking words of truth, sis!

106. ~abi~

June 24th, 2009 at 1:21 pm

i just got teary-eyed! you are a beautiful person, jasmine!

107. New York City Wedding Photographer

June 24th, 2009 at 1:50 pm

What a lovely post! When tragedy strikes, I am always amazed by the power of the human spirit to persevere and heal. Add "Dance like No One is Watching" to your workflow 🙂

108. Kelly Braman

June 24th, 2009 at 2:52 pm

WoW! This totally hit home for me! I always love your honesty and I hope you realize that you help so many woman in the business as we can all relate:) Sending some love your way today~can you feel it?! 🙂

109. Stephanie Greenwell

June 24th, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Thank you. Yesterday, I read this post, then my husband got some not-so-great news about his heart. We are expecting another child to add to the three we have and last night, I didn’t work on my computer. We sat on the loveseat, and snuggled. And our baby girl eventually joined us. Your post kept going through my head as we laid there and how peaceful it felt. I’m praying for your friends Amy & David as well, and please keep us in your prayers also. Now, go dance!

110. Linden

June 24th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Why does it take something so tragic to make us realize what we take for granted? Thanks so much for this I really needed it to day! I’m gonna go home and hug my babies neck and tell him i love him <33 and then dance like no one is watching! So maybe I will just dance in my room so I don’t harm anyone… Will that work also?? You are awesome btw! I love your blog 🙂

111. David Wenzel

June 24th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Dear J* & JD. I love you both so much. Can’t quite put it all into words so that will have to do. Just know how much you two mean to Amy and I.

112. STUDIO 623

June 24th, 2009 at 5:53 pm

mindy and i just celebrated our 9th anniversary. it’s AMAZING just how refreshing just one "day off" can be.

113. Lucero

June 24th, 2009 at 6:04 pm

All I can say is God Bless you & JD! Tear tear!! Family is sure everything. : )

114. Hanssie Trainor

June 24th, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Dang it Jasmine. You made me cry…and I just put on my makeup! Thanks for the reminder and I’m getting off the computer RIGHT NOW!

115. Patrick

June 24th, 2009 at 8:23 pm

It’s a shame it always takes something horrible to wake people up and smell the coffee.

116. Jeni Maus

June 24th, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Your blog posts just make me smile. I could go on and on about why, and how I check out your blog when I am feeling in a funk, and I somehow always feel better after reading them, and how they are always so appropriate for how I am feeling at that moment, but I will stop now and just say "thanks, you rock."

117. Julie Hill

June 24th, 2009 at 10:32 pm

OMG! That picture of you and JD is so cute!!

118. steph

June 24th, 2009 at 11:25 pm

i saw this poster today and thought of your post. awesome!

119. Karen (Mikols) Bonar

June 25th, 2009 at 8:49 am

CONGRATS on this decision, Jasmine! The whole ‘life balance’ is SO elusive, isn’t it?

120. Ricki Ford

June 25th, 2009 at 1:42 pm

David is in our paryers. I really like this post Jasmine. Our preacher always says the same thing that people need to get thier hearts right with the Lord you don’t know what tommrow holds. We could be fine in the morning but by the end of the day we could be standing before of God. And without Jesus Christ there is no life!

121. Chris Ellis

June 25th, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Amen! I’m glad you realized this now. I realized it at 29 when I came to know Christ, and now at 35, I see now that I finally began living at 29.

122. Laura

June 25th, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I’ve been away from the internet for a few days because of my best friends wedding being last weekend and all. I just want to say that it’s funny because in her guest book on Saturday I wrote to her "dance like no one is watching" (I also wrote, "if you fart own it"… but it’s not as relevant to your post here) This is really good advice. So much of life is defined not by what you do, but by the relationships you build and maintain with those around you. Thank you for this post.

123. ohana photographers

June 25th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

david has been in our prayers.

it’s so hard not to be a workaholic as a photographer, but life is too short not to take a break and dance with your family once in a while.

124. Kathryn Brown

June 25th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Working on that exact same thing myself- success always comes with a price- but we have to redefine success and keep it in perspective…it is not worth our loved ones or running ourselves into the ground- happiness has a value greater than any paycheck!!!

125. Denise

June 26th, 2009 at 1:07 am

Love the boots.

126. Tracey

June 26th, 2009 at 5:02 am

I read your blog daily and feel inspired, but I read this post and tears are streaming down my face. I couldn’t have said it better and I couldn’t agree more. Take the time to FEEL how beautiful life and love truly are.

127. Tracy

June 26th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I’m sure there are a million photogs reading this a tearing up. What strong and meaningful post..thank you so much. Definitely need to re-think my own life. My prayers go out to David and Amy.

128. Araceli

June 26th, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Love at it’s best!

129. Mandie

June 27th, 2009 at 3:53 am

Thanks for this post… I’m just starting out and I’m a newlywed. Definitely a good reminder to keep my priorities in line along the way… My prayers are with your friends Amy and David.

130. korey

June 29th, 2009 at 6:05 am

So now I’m crying, and I’m crying because it’s 11:06, and I still have hours of work to do. My new husband is sleeping in the next room and I have been doing this for nights…well now weeks. Meanwhile this same thought has been echoing through my mind…if not now, when? Be strong and claim the life you want. If not now, when?

131. Bartolomeo Photography

June 29th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Oh Jasmine- this is so true. I too do this- each time we even go for a family getaway I make sure I have my laptop to keep up with emails and such. When what I really need to be doing is enjoying carefree time with my husband and two boys. Thank you for this post!

132. michele

June 29th, 2009 at 6:14 pm

thank you for sharing something so personal. so often, we forget to slow down and enjoy life and all the beautiful things around us. currently I struggle with that. between work, buying a home with my boyfriend, tending to the dog, building my photog biz, where is the time for us?

you make the time. simply. put.

133. jeramy

June 29th, 2009 at 11:50 pm

you nailed it. good on you. here’s to livin.

134. Cynthia Q.

June 30th, 2009 at 4:33 am

So proud of you Jasmine. Great post!

135. Laura

June 30th, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Such an unfortunate hand that your friends have been dealt. My heart aches for them as I lost my father to a brain tumor in 2003. What we, my family, mom and I, wouldn’t give to have just a few more moments with him. To hug, kiss and just stare at one another. It took the loss of my dad to make me realize that life is VERY short. I still have to remind myself, every now and again, to slow down. But I always, always appreciate every moment w/ my loved ones. I thank God every night that he’s given me another day to love them. You and your friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.

136. Sarah Alston

July 1st, 2009 at 1:31 am

Why you always gotta make me cry? *sniffle

137. Eliza Lewis

July 28th, 2009 at 8:25 pm

I follow Jessica Claire’s blog and now I am following yours! I loved this post about dancing like no one is watching. Your work and your life are beautiful indeed!