Excuses, Sleeplessness, and Happiness

It will sound like an excuse. Like, The Dog Ate My Homework…Promise. But, really, I blogged yesterday and when it was time to publish, the internet was down in our hotel. So then I banged my forehead on my keyboard. Repeatedly. It was the third time the internet failed, so I was a wee bit frustrated. Alas, today is a new day and I plan to recap the previous two days.

Hmmmm, now that I’m sitting in front of my computer, I’m having a hard time remembering what’s happened. Oh, that’s right. Around midnight on Sunday night, I took what I thought was a cold preventative, but when 4:30am rolled around and I was WIDE A.W.A.K.E, I read the label and discovered it may cause sleeplessness. Awesome. I nervously paced my hotel room. And then ordered a pizza. Because, really, what else was there to do?! I woke JD and we shared a margarita pizza overlooking the Las Vegas lights. After an hour of sleep, we woke and went to David Jay’s 8am workshop. Around 11am, we hung out in the Showit Suite…and then I started seeing spots around noon. Yellow spots. Black spots. Purple spots. It was time for a nap. I woke in time for dinner (how convenient) and joined the The Boudoir Divas for a dinner to celebrate the launch of their new book. If you shoot boudoir photography, definitely check it out as I think it’s such a great resource!

I had EVERY intention of joining my good friend Becker at his notorious party (I even wore a dress and the whole nine!), but I was feeling a little more than exhausted and overwhelmed, so I called it a night. And, yes, the coolness just oozes from me. It’s hard being this fun.

On Tuesday morning, my alarm blared at 5:30am. The sun wasn’t even awake yet, but I found myself nervously awaiting the morning shoot I had planned for 20 amazing photographers. Again, I found myself pacing my hotel room and praying I wouldn’t let everyone down. At 6:30am, JD and I walked through the MGM Hotel and discovered most of the group was already assembled in the lobby. Then my stress level went into Code Red! Code Red! High Alert! High Alert! because I realized they came ready to shoot, learn, and have fun. AND WHAT IF I TOTALLY BOMBED?!? Thankfully, the group was nothing short of awesome…squared. We started the shoot in the hotel lobby, then made our way into the freezing city streets and had a fabulous morning. Here’s a sneak peek from the shoot…

At the end of the photo shoot, I left feeling so proud. Not of myself. But of this industry. I met 20 new peers yesterday and if that’s what the wedding photography industry is made of, then I’m honored to be a part of it.

In the afternoon, I walked the tradeshow floor with my good friend Amy Wenzel, and we oohed and ahhed over new albums, prints, and canvas wraps. I had a few meetings in the late afternoon, and then joined a small group of friends for dinner. At the end of the night–as we walked down The Strip against the chilly wind–we stopped by The Bellagio watched the water show. With my body pressed again the cold concrete ledge, I watched water dance against the night sky. I leaned over to JD and whispered, In this moment, I’m happy. And I was. Life, right now, is simple and complex, but being surrounded with friends and the man I adore, life is happy. And I’m thankful.

1. Tunji Sarumi

February 18th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

2. chris

February 18th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

great seeing you and jd briefly yesterday, so happy for all that is happening with you guys!

3. Tira J

February 18th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Oh Jasmine. You are loved! I am glad you are feeling better and that you were able to get some rest. The water show at the Bellagio was actually engineered by one of my professors here at APU. Crazy world we live in. Yes, life is simple and complex, but God has put us on this earth to handle it all in HIS own way. Love you.

4. Yuka photo art

February 18th, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Aaah Jasmine! Thank you for this amazing report from your life!
    I hope I will be at WPPI next year also!!!I wish you enjoy every moment of life and feel happy! You are amazing person and you are give us soo much!

February 18th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Again, I wish I could be there! Can’t wait to see more pics from the Tuesday morning shoot!

6. meg manion silliker

February 18th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

this industry is so wonderful. there is so much inspiration, so much mentoring and so much support. i am always left feeling in awe – thank you for sharing you.

7. Audrey

February 18th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I love how your husband is smiling at you in the first pic…. you two are so cute! great pictures, as always. 🙂

8. Nicole

February 18th, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Jasmine, Great as always! I hope you are feeling better!!

9. Amber Grover

February 18th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

You are so real and lovely.
    So glad that you are having a great time! Thanks for the updates.

10. Trey Bohon

February 18th, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Hope you feel better, can’t wait to see the rest…

11. faye

February 18th, 2009 at 4:44 pm

man, you make vegas sound awesome! i’ve always hated the place, but you make me want to go back. maybe it’s only cool when you have a bunch of photographers in town 😉

12. Jaclyn

February 18th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Yay!!! No exaggeration; the early morning shoot was the highlight of my YEAR! In just 20 hours of being in Vegas, I met SO many kind, wonderful, and inspiring photographers and learned a ton, too! And Mark and I had a blast being your model! THANK YOU ALL!

13. B

February 18th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Come home! We miss you 🙂

14. B

February 18th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

PS I laid out my clothes on my bed and Polo decided that my CASHMERE sweater would be a great place to put his wet, dirty paws. You owe me. Big time.

15. Courtney

February 18th, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Jasmine * = Totally Awesome
    That is all.

16. jess@studio3z

February 18th, 2009 at 5:47 pm

you do, what you do, so well. 🙂 JD’s face is cute (looking at ya) in that first shot.

17. Joan Solitario

February 18th, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been waiting for a new blog post from you! AWESOME!

18. Tara

February 18th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Awesome. I wish I could have been there and hope to meet you sometime! So great that you give back like this and are so happy to do so. Thanks for posting!

19. ashley bugg

February 18th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

your writing inspires me so… 🙂

20. tish

February 18th, 2009 at 6:34 pm

the first photo with JD in the corner is funny! are you going to start doing more boudoir photography?

21. Mo

February 18th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I am glad the weather cooperated with you. It was kind of dicey there for a while.

22. julieG

February 18th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

AHHH hahaaaaaaaaaa! i love the first shot, I scrolled down to see the pictures with the internal thought "jealousy insues" and the first shot with JD in the corner made me smile, his face totally says " I love and adore my wife and here’s my look and smile to prove it! haha i love it!!!!

23. allie

February 18th, 2009 at 6:45 pm

JD in the corner is TOO cute!

24. Krysta

February 18th, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I would hate to be the couple in the second photo. lol. So many cameras. lol. I wonder what passer-byers thought. Love ya, Jaz!

25. Julie G

February 18th, 2009 at 6:47 pm

And I Just have to say that I totally think its awesome that your sis read the blog and commented about POLO.. like we’re all connected..
    maybe i’m just soo "enjoying" being snowed in right now?

26. Feuza

February 18th, 2009 at 7:07 pm

you make me cry, I loved the picture that showed all the photographers, what an honor for them. WOW, hope to get to do something like that soon.

27. Stephanie Stewart

February 18th, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Love the first photo with JD smiling at you with love and adoration – too cute! The rest of the photos are fabulous as well. What a lucky group of people to get to hang and learn with you!!

28. stephanie fisher

February 18th, 2009 at 7:41 pm

oh how I wish I was on the shoot with you! hopefully I’ll see you before I leave Vegas tomorrow!

29. jeramy

February 18th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

wow….well….i’ve yet to write my post about vegas…..maybe i’ll get started right here. you know how when you meet someone that you’ve never met before but that you’ve read their blog for awhile and seen there picture for a bit…that often times the actual experience of meeting them in person doesn’t quite measure up? you know what i mean? well…tuesday morning was not like that at all. you and jd both were so nice. so generous with your time and energy. i know this is what you do for a living…but i really felt, and believe that you care about all of us that showed up at the butt crack of dawn. it was so amazing to watch you in action. i told jd when we were by the dumpster (HA!)…"she’s really good! i mean….not just technically….but especially in how she relates to people…communicates…." he just smiled and said…."yeah, she really is". sharon and i learned so much and i thought of so many things that i wanted to say after we left. but in the end, we both had an amazing experience that we’ll never forget. well done! i’m looking forward to what the future has in store! i hope the rest of your trip is great….take care.

30. Erica Velasco

February 18th, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I love how JD is in the corner of that image…very cool.

31. Robert Maxium

February 18th, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Really common people, go to photography meetup in your own area, you probably will learn more. Again most of you are more talented then the person writing this blog. I grant you the blog is humorous and fun to read, but its in no way should be your main inspiration

32. Lindsi

February 18th, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Robert, personally I don’t know why you’re going off on J. She’s an amazing photographer whether you think so or not. That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But don’t crush someone’s hopes, dreams and business just because you don’t like them. J is not only an amazing photographer, but also and amazing person.

33. Lindsi

February 18th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

J…I love the personal touch in all of your photos. None of them feel like you’re at an actual shoot. It feels like you’re hanging out with friends! I love your style and have learned a lot from you!

34. stephanie McBride

February 18th, 2009 at 8:31 pm

okay, im breaking down and finally commenting with the other thousand jasmine star fans…i have been a blog stalker of yours for years and im going to leave a comment…finally. i am in awe of your work, both writing (you need to write a book someday…i love reading your posts about as much as gazing at your images) and artistically. i just wanted you to know how much i enjoy your work. next year ill be one of the 20 at wppi waiting eagerly at the wee morning hours for your workshop…..can’t wait. until then ill check in daily. 🙂

35. brittney hale

February 18th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Okay this comment is two fold, first (this will be an edited version) Robert: wow, you came to the wrong place if your planning on dissen J*. No one here talks craps ecspecially about of Jasmine. Just who do you think you are? Now for my real comment, what a lucky group of people, wish it was me!!! look how cute JD looks peeken out the corner on the first shot. You Rock Jas!!!

36. kate

February 18th, 2009 at 10:06 pm

right now.
    so jealous.

37. Ashley

February 18th, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Ahhh I wanted to be there in the worst way! Curse tax season and my husband being an accountant. Curse strep throat! Curse it all! Will you do this next year so I can come? Pretty please? And not at 6:30 am? I’d love you forever. As if I don’t already!

38. terri Z

February 18th, 2009 at 10:37 pm

sounds fabulous …. wish i were there 😉
    love the way JD is looking at you ….it was the first thing i saw as i scrolled down the page ….
    have fun !!

39. Joan Solitario

February 18th, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Not sure why Robert would leave that message.. but I read somewhere that sometimes people say things to tick off other people to get people to visit their own site? But whatever the reason may be… just wanted to let him know that.. yes, there are other photographers and websites, but I enjoy Jasmine’s site and she’s a nice, caring, wonderful person! Her attitude is addicting — in a good way 🙂

40. robin

February 18th, 2009 at 11:16 pm

love the pic of JD looking a little sheepish & very proud of his wife. you lucky gal. 🙂

41. Kate Callahan

February 18th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I’m sure the whole group had a blast! What a great opportunity to learn and have fun. As for Robert … eww. I have nothing else to say about that. : )

42. mrozaidi

February 19th, 2009 at 12:22 am

Hohoho.. Good Photography… And nice…

43. Christopher

February 19th, 2009 at 12:31 am

Love how JD is smiling in the corner. Great series.

44. Christa

February 19th, 2009 at 12:41 am

You rock Jasmine Star!
    I’ve added one of these morning learning shoots with you to my "lifes to do" list

45. Crystal Carr

February 19th, 2009 at 1:06 am

Hi Jasmine (& JD)! It was great to meet the two of you at the Divas dinner party! You poor thing..you must have been exhausted! I mixed up meds once and ended up in the ER, so I ALWAYS read the labels now! This is my first time visiting your blog and it definitely will not be the last! Hope to see you again :). PS- the look on your hubby’s face is all the reason for you to feel happy & free to dream big. What a great match… highschool sweethearts!

46. Holli True

February 19th, 2009 at 1:37 am

Oh how I wish I were at the WPPI this year! Looks like you all had an amazing time!! I hope you’re feeling better Jasmine! I am so excited to finally meet you this weekend at the PPO!! Yay!

47. Becka Knight (Studio222 Photography)

February 19th, 2009 at 2:32 am

Sounds like fun. Nate and I are excited to bring the party next year. 😉

48. Bobbie Brown

February 19th, 2009 at 2:44 am

Oohhhh, it sounds like you are having a blast! I am so glad that your shoot went so well – I had never doubted it would be anything short of amazing! Haha! I love how JD is smiling in the corner of that one pix! I can’t wait to see this entire shoot! Wish I was there… at the shoot and at WPPI!

49. kelly beane

February 19th, 2009 at 2:56 am

ahhhh!!! i just got my video from you (and abi & kriea) & THANK YOU! needless to say i didn’t have a great night & it put a huge smile on my face! i wish i could be there having fun & hanging out with everyone, but i’m here baking a little one that can come anytime and i’m cool with that. 😉 thank you again & keep on keepin’ it real!

50. Lara @ Southern Weddings

February 19th, 2009 at 2:58 am

It was wonderful to finally meet you Jasmine! Such a pleasure!

51. jeramy

February 19th, 2009 at 3:41 am

hey "robert maxium"…don’t hate on jasmine. this blog isn’t for you….encouragement only please.

52. Jessica Smith

February 19th, 2009 at 4:20 am

just wanted to say that it COMPLETELY made the entire trip getting to meet you Sunday evening, and see you again at Jessica’s talk… we decided after meeting you on Sunday that we could go home happy right then and there :0)

53. Katelyn

February 19th, 2009 at 4:28 am

Robert I don’t know if you’re in the wedding photography industry. I am assuming you’re not because if you were, you would know that the photography itself is only one piece of the puzzle. Disregarding the fact that Jasmine has an incredibly defined style and an amazing eye, she has what most people in the industry lack, A PERSONALITY. Her work is passionate and that doesn’t come from just composition and exposure, it comes from a passion that drives you to connect with clients and form lasting relationships. Jasmine does just that. Her blog is intimate and displays her personality so well that I think I know her! I met her this week and she was exactly what I pictured her her be; a genuine, spunky wedding photographer that can’t help but show off her passionate, relationally driven personality. THAT is why she is successful.

54. Kelly Brown

February 19th, 2009 at 4:37 am

Love this!! I had such an amazing time on Tuesday morning! It was so wonderful to meet you! You’re so inspiring! I love that as well as being an amazing photographer you’re such a sweet and down to earth person. You’re the super star of photography yet I totally feel like I can sit with you on my couch, in my pj’s, and watch a movie!

Thanks for everything!!

55. Roxie

February 19th, 2009 at 5:06 am

You’re like the Angelina Jolie but instead of a movie star you’re a Photog Star. Everyone wants to meet you and get your autographs because you’re just so fabulous!! 🙂 Hope you’re having a blast!

56. Shannon Ksenak

February 19th, 2009 at 6:23 am

Wow. It’s pictures like these that make me wish I was a photographer and had something like those to show off!

57. Jenny Sun

February 19th, 2009 at 8:07 am

looks like you had a blast with everyone else! 🙂 Even better that you managed to reflect over all that has been happening, and that you are happy and content 🙂 Don’t listen to those who try to bring you down. You know we all love you! And judging by the ARMY of people who are your friends on facebook, you have a legion behind you, ready to defend and support you as a person and a photographer! Including myself! *hugs*

58. Heather Cole

February 19th, 2009 at 8:15 am

Jasmine – It was an HONOR to be a part of this group at 6:45 am (yep I admit, I love that 6:45 am light). It was so much fun to see how you shoot, how you interact with your clients and what the overall outcome is. The people coming to your workshop are going to have the time of their lives!! Thanks again for opening up your heart.

59. Alicia Swedenborg

February 19th, 2009 at 9:50 am

Yay, you’re back!! Missed you… 😀

60. ksen :)

February 19th, 2009 at 10:29 am

j*… i just got back into town & the first thing i wanted to do was get on the internet to write you & THANK YOU a millionquadzillion for being the wonderFULL, heartFULL, truly radtastic person that you are. every year at WPPI i always leave with one major thing that influenced & inspired me — you were most certainly that for me this year! thank you for always being so open & real. the shoot was a blast & i look forward to the next time i see you! rock on!

61. Vanessa Bosovich

February 19th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I now breathe a sigh of relief, as you’re back blogging. I’ve quickly become addicted to your wit. You give me something to look forward to, when i get to work at these hateful hours of the morning. Thanks!
    Keep on, keeping on!

62. imthiaz houseman

February 19th, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Look at JD looking all proud and cute in the corner of the first image…looks and sounds like you had/are having a fabulous time. Can’t wait to see the rest of the photos!

63. tawsha

February 19th, 2009 at 4:21 pm

That is so cute the first picture of JD looking at you so sweetly. I love it, such a great capture.

64. Kali Corliss

February 19th, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I had such a great time on Tuesday morning. The beautiful light hitting the strip, the information coming fast, the beautiful models, Jasmine leading the way– what a great experience! I appreciate your time so much! Thank you!

65. Jen May

February 19th, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for finding time to blog during such a packed week in Vegas, and for also making yourself available to shoot with other photographers. I hope I can shoot with you one day 🙂

66. Meghan

February 19th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Jasmine, the shoot-out was unreal. You are fabulous in ways I never expected and I simply adored meeting you. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, optimism, and absolute realness. It was one of the highlights of my first WPPI.

67. Dee

February 19th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

What a beautiful post!

68. Kim

February 19th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

you know what i love about the 1st photo in the shot? … the upper left corner with jd smiling at you through the lens.

thanks for a wonderful morning. it made my wppi experience & i am super grateful for having the opportunity to see you work & meet the other photographers there that morning!

69. carlie renee

February 19th, 2009 at 7:06 pm

i love it, everyone looks so happy!

70. cassandra m

February 19th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

OOoooohhhhh, I am so sad I could not make it to WPPI. Next year definitely. I love the intensity in the photos of the group of photographers. Love the one gal laughing…ha ha. What FUN you guys must have had. Be sure and blog more images from it 😉 😉

71. Rachel

February 20th, 2009 at 2:21 am

Awwww that is soooooo cute that JD is looking at you with so much love and admiration! So cute!

72. ayesha

February 20th, 2009 at 6:21 am

i think what i like best about the images you shared is that all the photogs seem to be smiling as they shoot! what fun to share with so many people who are so happy about what they’re doing 🙂

73. Christie Mumm

February 20th, 2009 at 7:47 am

Okay, so we stayed in the Tropicana, and when we were getting ready on tuesday morning we looked out our window and what did we see, you and the 20 other photogs, shooting on the walkway between the MGM and Tropicana, I was totally looking out our 8th floor window behind, when these photos were shot, cool huh!

74. daria bishop

February 20th, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your knowledge, kindness, time, enthusiasm, passion, laughter and silliness, and for the most fun a girl could have at wppi!! I loved every second of being part of your posse!! A huge XO to you + your darling hubby!!

75. emily griffith

February 20th, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Jasmine, I’m not sure where to begin to express my gratitude for the opportunity to see you in action, hear your story, and learn from you….it was incredible! I had the time of my life and had to continuously pinch myself to make sure this was actually happening real life! What a joy and honor it was to spend time with you and JD! Although a simple thank you doesn’t fully convey my gratitude, I don’t know what else to say besides THANK YOU!

76. Kyle Burnell

February 21st, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Hey Jasmine, It was great hanging out and shooting with you, JD & the other 19 photographers 🙂 Thanks again for putting it together.

77. Cathy Crawley

February 22nd, 2009 at 8:09 am

Hey Miss Jasmine, thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my Vegas experience a magical one, I am honoured beyond belief to have been able to spend time with you. xxx P.S. Hope you liked the Tim Tams!

78. Sarah

June 24th, 2010 at 4:54 am

Your clients all have amazing skin! Do you use skin smoothing actions on them?