Falling Behind for All the Right Reasons

Falling Behind for All the Right Reasons

Personal

She called me yesterday. At the peak of my productivity time, I sat at my desk and a tried figuring out the best way to scratch things off my list. I feverishly edited, emailed, and sang. Because singing increases productivity levels. Oh, yes it does. When my phone rang, I answered it and chatted with my sweet mom. She mentioned she was on my side of town and planned on lunching by herself. Which, in my mother’s language, means Will you please join me?

I stumbled for words. Uhhh, work, a wedding edit, uhhh, email. Then I jerked my head straight. No way. No flippin’ way. There was no way I was going to turn her down. For years I wanted a job that gave me the flexibility to meet my mom for lunch. For the years she was in the hospital with brain cancer, I hated myself for not taking her out more often. And now that I was given the chance, I was just going to squander it for what? Email? An edit? No flippin’ way.

We met at a cafe in Costa Mesa and when it was time to leave, I kissed her 14 times on her cheeks. Left, right, left, right, left…. It’s just something I do. After a long hug, she started to cry. She looked at me with tired eyes and said, It’s in these moments I feel alive.

Oh, mama, thanks for reminding me that life is best felt when you’re alive, in each moment.

JD took this picture of one of my mom’s favorite flowers on our trip to Puerto Rico with my family. It sits on my desktop as a reminder to live life. Fully. I’ll be blogging last weekend’s wedding tomorrow, as well as a few fun shoots soon! 🙂

comments

1. Penny -

Mom’s….they are the best. My wish is that when my daughter is the age I am now, that she loves me just as much as I love her at this very moment in time.

10.22.09 - 6:46 pm

2. Jennifer Rodriguez-Cruz -

Great post! I totally agree 🙂
    Glad you had a great day!

10.22.09 - 6:47 pm

3. Neha -

So sweet and inspirational! Life is meant to be enjoyed!!!

10.22.09 - 6:47 pm

4. TH -

I.love.you. Not because of the fact that you are one of the greatest photographers! I’m gonna call my mom tonight!

10.22.09 - 6:47 pm

5. Christine Meintjes -

My mom did the exact same thing the other day and I’m so glad I joined her for lunch! 🙂 As photographers we will always have work and some times you have to think about where your priorities are…GO Jasmine*

10.22.09 - 6:48 pm

6. Rebecca -

I wish my mom lived close enough to lunch. Phoenix is a bit of a commute from Seattle though. 😉 So I take my dad up on every opportunity to do lunch. Good decision!

10.22.09 - 6:49 pm

7. Misti -

I love this Jasmine! I made a promise to myself several years ago that I would never let work get in the way of the things that were most important to me…my Family. Thank you for sharing this story!

10.22.09 - 6:49 pm

8. Beth -

thanks for the reminder Jasmine 🙂 beautiful photo JD! 🙂

10.22.09 - 6:50 pm

9. Tira J -

AMEN!

10.22.09 - 6:50 pm

10. Lisa -

moms are the best gifts from God 🙂

10.22.09 - 6:50 pm

11. Julian Moniz -

You know J*…This was a short post…but it’s posts like these which make me continuously follow your blog. You make the simple things in life sound so great. And I think you are awesome for that. Because the little things ARE SO GREAT!!! Thank you for sharing this…I called up my mom right away and told her I loved her.

10.22.09 - 6:51 pm

12. Candice {The Beautiful Mess} -

powerful.

10.22.09 - 6:51 pm

13. Miranda Renee -

That is so sweet. You should never pass up opportunities like that. Like you said, you never know when you will want those opportunities back.

10.22.09 - 6:52 pm

14. Fran M -

Sooo beautiful. What a great post! Made my day reading it!

10.22.09 - 6:53 pm

15. Candy Howard -

Oh, Jasmine! What a wonderful post! Absolutely the right reason! My father passed away a year ago, and I would give anything for a nice visit like you and your mom shared today. Keep it up, and keep up those hugs and kisses!

10.22.09 - 6:53 pm

16. April -

Beautiful. Just take a moment to breathe.

10.22.09 - 6:54 pm

17. Linda Sherrill -

Beautiful…just beautiful.
    Thanks for the timely reminder to always make time for others…

10.22.09 - 6:54 pm

18. Krista -

Got a little teary-eyed reading this one. Thanks for the reminder to pay attention to what really matters: the people I love.

10.22.09 - 6:55 pm

19. Marisa Schibilla -

Jasmine, this is so sweet and so real. It made me tear up! I am glad you decided to go have lunch with her. How easy we let our work consume our every moment. Thanks for being an inspiration to all of your readers to "live life fully."

10.22.09 - 6:55 pm

20. Erika -

Thanks, Jasmine. I think we all probably needed to hear that today.

10.22.09 - 6:56 pm

21. Norman Rubenis -

Hi Jasmine.

I just stumbled across your blog somewhere in the ethos of the web and OMG!

Like a breath of fresh air, your images are so beautiful and inspiring, such simple spontaneity and candid in your approach. I absolutely love your style of work.

Actually, I have just remembered, I found you through the amazing Crash Taylor. I love the look of your blog, best I have ever seen.

Your notes about meeting Mum for lunch struck a chord.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Norman

10.22.09 - 6:56 pm

22. Michael D -

Thanks for the life reminder. I look back with lots of regret, years later after my mom passed away. You can never do enough, but to try to do as much as you can will leave you with fewer regrets.

10.22.09 - 6:59 pm

23. Christina -

I love reading your blog for the stories as much as for the amazing images. You have a way with words! I get teary-eyed every time I read one of your wedding descriptions:)

10.22.09 - 7:01 pm

24. imthiaz houseman -

oh, Jasmine now that i’m in tears, you reminded me of how much i miss those days with my mom. she lives in another state and i wish i could see her everyday like i used too. i love following your blog because you remind everyone of the little things in life that we might take for granted or pass on because we think there might be another day.
    thank you. 🙂

10.22.09 - 7:01 pm

25. Amanda Herzberger -

Well you made me cry. I’m visiting my Dad now who beat cancer last year and now I’m heading outside to spend the afternoon with him in the garden…editing can wait! THANK YOU.

10.22.09 - 7:04 pm

26. Becka Knight (Studio222 Photography) -

Beautiful reminder. What kind of flower is it?

10.22.09 - 7:04 pm

27. Amanda Reseburg -

This got me teary eyed. I wrote a similar blog about being thankful that my job gave me the flexibility to spend time with my grandmother before she passed.

It’s so great that you recognize how important and special these moments are. So wonderful!

10.22.09 - 7:04 pm

28. Jenny Duffy -

Hi Jasmine! Thanks for reminding me of something I need to do with my family. Your job and this blog is so very important and really really makes a difference!

10.22.09 - 7:05 pm

29. staci -

Absolutely. ABSOLUTELY! I have 3 small children & an amazing husband…and becoming a photographer was about being able to be the kind of mom who is available. The kind of wife who can be home with her husband. The past two years have been extremely crazy. Last year…we made a major move back to my hometown & my husband was without work for a little while. I had to step it up & work hard in my business. But, once he got a job…I continued to work like a mad woman & in August, I was so overwhelmed. I really took an inventory of my vision for my business & one main key in my vision is to ALWAYS put my children & family first. With that…even though I had 20-30 inquiries in my inbox & voicemail…I decided that I would take 5 sessions…something manageable so that I could finish up my summer work & enjoy my schedule for Octobe/November. One of the hardest things I had to do! But, there comes a point where we all have to do what we have to do & be in tune with what we really want out of life. I just had to trust that I was making the right decision & those inquiries will come back next season if they are meant to be. Thank you for being sensitive to your family & making that better choice to have lunch with your mom. The work will always be there. People in our lives may not.

10.22.09 - 7:06 pm

30. Marissa Rodriguez -

One of my favorite posts from you! Very powerful!

10.22.09 - 7:07 pm

31. Gina Yesnik -

thank you for this… sometimes opportunities knock ever so quietly… but echo loud in our hearts years down the road when we remember we had the opportunity and we choose to say "next time"…. may we all be so luck to have a next time….
    This was perfect timing with me with so much work and 3 little people wanting mommy time – GOD BLESS YOU and your family!

10.22.09 - 7:10 pm

32. Nicole Haley -

Beautiful, Jasmine. Thank you for this reminder. It’s so necessary.

10.22.09 - 7:10 pm

33. Jo LeFlufy -

Dang straight!!

10.22.09 - 7:13 pm

34. Dawn Beirnes -

Wow, what perfect timing for me to hear your words. With all that’s going on in my life, finances (just got a call from a bill collector) this post made me think…REALLY think about what’s important.
    Thanks Jasmine

10.22.09 - 7:13 pm

35. Regina White -

So true. Thanks for reminding us that. (as I wipe tears away)

10.22.09 - 7:14 pm

36. emily -

absolutely beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes, you know in the good way. 🙂 Thanks for the reminder, in this rush it is important to remember the most important people.

10.22.09 - 7:15 pm

37. Joe+Kathrina -

Darn you for making me cry! But thank you for reminding us all what really matters in life

10.22.09 - 7:16 pm

38. HeatherA -

tears streaming down…
    so beautifully written…

10.22.09 - 7:18 pm

39. anniecat -

Jasmine, thank you for sharing that. It made me tear up. Moms are the best.

10.22.09 - 7:20 pm

40. Leyla -

I needed this today… Thank you for the reminder of what is most precious and important in life! And good for you for recognizing that in your own life. You are such an inspiration to us all! Keep up the great attitude, sista! =)

10.22.09 - 7:22 pm

41. sharon snow -

makes me cry.
    i’m getting off the computer right now and going out with my family! thank you.

10.22.09 - 7:23 pm

42. whitney elizabeth -

mama’s rock…no ifs, ands or buts about it! 🙂 love this post 🙂

10.22.09 - 7:25 pm

43. Katie Beverley -

Beautiful post, Jasmine! Love your work and love your voice… what a wonderful reminder today prioritize!

10.22.09 - 7:28 pm

44. Kayla Renckly -

You are so right, speaks to me right now spending all this time on the computer when what I wanted to be was a stay at home mom

10.22.09 - 7:32 pm

45. B -

Haha. I have the best job because I get to kiss mom 14 times EVERY DAY. Jealous? You should be 😉

10.22.09 - 7:32 pm

46. Meg -

While I am coming to a break in the craziness that I am calling my life right now this post couldn’t ring more true. Sometimes, you just have to turn the monitor off and do what your heart feels like doing. The funny thing about what we do is, our clients actually end up benefiting from our breaks. In taking the time to refresh and remind ourselves what is most important our creativity and productivity can flourish! Thanks for the dose of reality! 🙂

10.22.09 - 7:39 pm

47. kristen holly -

I love this so much. We all tire ourselves crazy trying to keep up, working more and more, harder and harder. And what for? Isn’t the reason we have our own businesses is that we can make our own schedules and have more freedom? Thank you for the thought. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s been spreading too thin and working too much. I’m glad you took the liberty to have lunch with mom. I called mine today <3

10.22.09 - 7:39 pm

48. Elisha Hawryluk -

Im glad that you realized what is really important… That’s the biggest thing I have learned… Pictures and emails will still be there later and my 3 little boys are growing up fast… I would much rather make a fort or cuddle with them than try to explain… sorry boys mommy really needs to get this done today 🙂

10.22.09 - 7:40 pm

49. Lydia -

What a great reminder. I’ll be living life to the fullest today by baking pumpkin bread and visiting the pumpkin farm with friends and family instead of sitting in front of my new MacBook Pro!

10.22.09 - 7:40 pm

50. Jere Dotten Photography -

You are a great gal! Would be great to meet you one day. Let us know if you are ever in North Carolina! You could stay at our place.

10.22.09 - 7:42 pm

51. jasmine johnson -

good choice! i love reading your posts about family… my mom had cancer in her brain as well but i no longer have her. how i wish i could stop editing to go have lunch and kiss her on the cheeks 14 times 🙂

10.22.09 - 7:46 pm

52. stephanie karen stocking -

so beautiful the moments we often pass in life are the ones that could the most intimate and special we share with others.

10.22.09 - 7:51 pm

53. Jesamin Califf -

Thank you.

10.22.09 - 7:58 pm

54. Mark Daams -

Ahhh, how sweet. Very nice photo too.

10.22.09 - 7:58 pm

55. Melissa @ Whooo's That Girl -

What a wonderful reminder. You made the right choice. ;p

10.22.09 - 8:01 pm

56. Pamela Telgenhoff -

You have a way of making me take a second…very LONG look at my life…Thanks for being you and for sharing.

10.22.09 - 8:06 pm

57. Megan -

Wonderful post, SO true.

10.22.09 - 8:11 pm

58. janet -

Thanks again to my friend, though we have never met, I feel I know you. You give me daily inspiration. Youu’re my Jas-peration!

10.22.09 - 8:23 pm

59. Alejandra Arroyo -

SUPER SWEET Jasmine!! Our mamacita’s will always come first especially after they have done so much for us! ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR POST and just reading it makes my preggers butt want to cry!

10.22.09 - 8:26 pm

60. Pol -

I forget too often…

10.22.09 - 8:35 pm

61. Charisse -

Well I am a blog stalker. I have read your blog for sometime but have never commented until now.This entry was truly inspiring. Your photography is always wonderful…however, your prose is just as great! Spending time with the ones that matter is really what makes the world go round for me. I feel just like that about my mother and children. Thanks for sharing.

10.22.09 - 8:47 pm

62. Elizabeth Luna -

Totally FEEL you on this! God sure rocks our own agenda’s huh! Thank you for sharing <3

10.22.09 - 8:49 pm

63. Lindsey Hartsough -

Jasmine,
    What an amazing reminder. Life is really too short and we, who are lucky enough to own our own businesses and do what we love need to remember to take time out for all of our friends and family. Thank you!

10.22.09 - 8:58 pm

64. Jocelyn Chi -

What a great reminder to prioritize the things that are really important! I’m so glad you chose to spend time with your mom! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

10.22.09 - 9:02 pm

65. Ashley Mauro -

Beautiful.

10.22.09 - 9:09 pm

66. Holly B. -

Beautiful post! I lost my dad to brain cancer earlier this year and I would do anything to have one more lunch with him. Its a beautiful thing to live life in the moment.

10.22.09 - 9:27 pm

67. Shilpi -

Remembering your fun days, with parents are always great. Reading your post, I feel blessed to have one such of a kind.

10.22.09 - 9:28 pm

68. Maria -

Omg!! this made me teary eyed!!

10.22.09 - 9:31 pm

69. Yuka photo art -

Thank you Jasmine, you help us to make right decision in our life!

10.22.09 - 9:34 pm

70. Amanda Carlson -

What a great post and a wonderful reminder.

10.22.09 - 9:54 pm

71. Maria -

Thank you for the reminder, Jasmine. Many blessings to you and your Mom 🙂

10.22.09 - 9:57 pm

72. Emily Howlett -

10.22.09 - 9:58 pm

73. diane (www.sagephoto.com) -

So glad you opted to enjoy lunch with your mom instead of anything else on your "to do list"! Good for you…you made the right decision.

10.22.09 - 10:01 pm

74. MelissaF -

What a wonderful reminder about priorities. Thank you, Jasmine.

10.22.09 - 10:10 pm

75. Dawn McCarthy -

I always enjoy your Blogs! Last night I was shooting a benefit for cancer in my hometown in remembrance of my Father, whom I lost to cancer. I am thankful that you stopped what you were doing and took your Mom to lunch!

10.22.09 - 10:14 pm

76. Angi -

Just another reason I read your blog – you write what I need to hear…

10.22.09 - 10:19 pm

77. Alison Edwards -

Oh so true….we should always make time for the special people in our lives; we will get the jobs done even if it’s an hour or day later.

10.22.09 - 10:30 pm

78. Jackie L. -

what a great post! There just isn’t anything that can replace a mother’s love and love for life. They are the best!

10.22.09 - 10:55 pm

79. Jason Grubb -

So true… Moms are very important in our lives!

10.22.09 - 11:03 pm

80. Erica Velasco -

beautiful.

10.22.09 - 11:56 pm

81. heather -

amen Jasmine! My dad passed from cancer 1.5 years ago and I would love to have one last lunch & football game with him. cherish the times!

10.23.09 - 12:50 am

82. melissa -

beautiful reminder. thank you.

10.23.09 - 1:01 am

83. Therese Beth Photography -

Wow…I came across this post at just the right time! I just got off the phone with my mom who is going through a real hard time right now and you are absolutely right. I’m feelin’ the love.

10.23.09 - 1:07 am

84. Kim Kalyn -

I loved this so much 🙂 It was such a great reminder and one I needed to hear, so thank you!

10.23.09 - 1:12 am

85. Alicia Damron -

What a great sentiment, it totally made me think about how lucky I am to still have my mama, and to appreciate it.

10.23.09 - 2:07 am

86. Angela -

*tearing*and calling my Mom right now;-)

10.23.09 - 2:49 am

87. jessicarden -

my mom too has survived brain cancer! it is so important to time to appreciate all of our life’s miracle’s and tell our mothers how much we love them:)

10.23.09 - 2:49 am

88. Keri Welch -

Beautiful post, Jasmine. A lovely reminder to take the time for those you love.

10.23.09 - 2:57 am

89. Rebecca -

I’ve never commented on any of your beautiful, poetic blog postings but this one brought tears to my eyes! Bravo to you for putting away the work to spend time with your mom! It is something we should all strive to do for those of us who are still lucky to have their parents in their lives..

10.23.09 - 3:05 am

90. gina -

thanks for reminders of what life is all about!

10.23.09 - 3:13 am

91. Helen Criston Kelleher -

You are a special girl Jasmine Star. Wonderful post.

10.23.09 - 3:26 am

92. Toni -

Beautiful! I lost my mom almost five years ago now. Your post made me cry. I’m glad you took time for your mom.

10.23.09 - 3:59 am

93. Nichole -

awww…you have me tearing up over here : (

Your right enjoy life : )

10.23.09 - 4:15 am

94. tammi l. -

i almost lost my mom 4 years ago and am grateful for a 2nd chance in this lifetime – I’m glad you went and didn’t take it for granted

10.23.09 - 6:40 am

95. Holli True -

Love it!! 🙂 Scribbled on a purple post-it in red pen is a note from my precious son, Cole (6 yrs old): I LOVE YOU. I’ve had it here in front of me for 2 weeks now. I’m having it framed because it just makes me so happy. 🙂 Here’s to enjoying life’s precious moments!!

10.23.09 - 6:58 am

96. Sarah W -

WOW!!! Wiping tears from my cheek! So Beautiful:)

10.23.09 - 10:18 am

97. Stephanie Stewart -

What a sweet story! Love your decision. Your Mom and every Mom will love this story.
    Gorgeous flower, and great reminder that JD captured.

10.23.09 - 1:19 pm

98. George Natis -

I am near to tears. Lovely said and absolutely true.

10.23.09 - 1:39 pm

99. Tracy -

That is so sweet! I am so thankful to have my mom in my life, and now that I have my own daughters I appreciate her and what she did for me so much more!

10.23.09 - 1:47 pm

100. Sue -

Thank you for sharing your sweet story about your Momma. Funny how we can get caught up in things of our everyday life when really what’s most important are the moments that we make time for the ones we love. I’m going to kiss my Momma today!

10.23.09 - 1:57 pm

101. Janna -

OK now I am crying….and I have to go to work!

10.23.09 - 2:01 pm

102. Kay English -

You should have been a writer…

10.23.09 - 4:25 pm

103. Nancy Ramos -

You are so fortunate to still have lunch with your mom and enjoy her hugs and kisses too. Really blessed.

10.23.09 - 5:20 pm

104. Eugene -

Beautiful reminder about the most important thing in life: family and friends.

10.23.09 - 5:42 pm

105. Ioana -

This post made me tear up.. as I love my mom so much and she lives half across the world.. so I would do anything to have moments like this with her.
    Thanks Jasmine for sharing this.

10.23.09 - 7:32 pm

106. Renee Mader -

ok…you just made me cry. I miss my mother and would give so many things to have what you had in a 14 kiss afternoon. I am so happy for you…

10.23.09 - 7:47 pm

107. Nycia -

WOW!! You just know how to put words together so well, especially when reflecting those certain emotions that we all seem to feel.. Taking the time to share those alive moments, nothing compares. You are truly an inspiration Jasmine and I love reading your blog. I hope to someday get the chance to meet you and chat with you in person. 🙂

10.23.09 - 7:53 pm

108. Roshan -

WOW!!! I am 39 years old. My mom was struck by a drunk driver as she was walking down a highway and died instantly when I was three. I will never get over this painful loss. I still love to hear mother and daughter stories. Thank u!!! U are a gem.

10.24.09 - 5:21 am

109. kris rupp -

Good choice for sure.

10.24.09 - 8:40 pm

110. sarah Javaheri -

crying now. (sobbering inc.)

10.25.09 - 3:06 pm

111. Hallie -

I enjoy your blog not only because of your amazing work, but through you work it’s easy to see that you have an amazing heart! It’s reflected in the beauty of your work. It’s amazing how sometimes we almost forget the things that really matter. Glad you chose to have lunch with your mom, those are moments that you can never replace. 🙂

10.26.09 - 4:51 pm

112. ohana photographers -

good for you! it’s so hard to rip yourself away from the computer. i’m beginning to think there is some kind of force field keeping me there. :/

10.26.09 - 6:42 pm

113. amy boring -

so sweet. ::wipes single tear::

10.27.09 - 8:58 pm

114. megmanionsilliker -

i didn’t expect to burst into tears reading this post. but i did. i miss my own mom every single day of my life and would give anything to have my phone ring and hear her voice asking me to lunch! you are so lucky. i am so glad you dropped everything and went. our moms. our hearts. our life – so so so much more important. xo

10.28.09 - 12:13 pm

115. aurora -

I love everything about this post, it’s about remembering why you started 😉 always

10.28.09 - 2:05 pm

116. amanda thiessen -

lovely <3

10.28.09 - 8:07 pm

117. SIMPLY DASHY PHOTOGRAPHY -

Awww….what a touching story! Thank you for sharing this. Such an inspiration! Thanks for reminding all of us what should be important in our lives and that we should all enjoy every precious moment…like this one.

10.29.09 - 2:16 pm

118. Life with Kaishon -

Crying. Great big tears of happiness!

A love like that, well, it is one of the most wonderful kinds of love.

I am so glad you went!