FAQ : Photoshop Actions, Part II

So, you know when you have something planned and things keep on getting in the way, and you can’t seem to get around to actually doing it? This is tough, but what augments the situation is when I announce on my blog that I’m going to do something…and then life gets in the way. My bad. I blogged about my love for Kubota Photoshop Actions a couple weeks ago and said I’d blog about my love for Totally Rad Actions shortly thereafter because I use them both exclusively. But then life got in the way.

It’s a good thing I have blog readers emailing me with reminders! 😉

I actually use a mix of Kubota and TRA Action sets—I love mixing and matching actions to make them unique—but each set is fabulous in its own right. When I was first introduced to Totally Rad Actions, I was blown away with their uniqueness and ability to make all things magical. Doug Boutwell is the mastermind behind the action sets and if I had half his Photoshop brain, I’d be thanking the good, sweet Lord. He makes really awesome tutorial videos, and I blogged about my favorites, so definitely check them out if you’d like to learn more!

Here are a few of my own TRA Recipes, so feel free to check a few images from Carissa and Brian’s Wedding

*Sparta – 15%
*Pool Party – 15%

*Punchout – 15%
*Clairefy – 36%
*Orange You Glad – 41%

I really shy away from 100% sepia images, but I LOVE the “Cinnamon Toast” TRA Action…it just rocks my world!
*Saturation – -100

*Pool Party – 12%
*Punchout – 31%

*Saturation – -100
*Detroit – 28%

1. niccolw

October 9th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

OOHH, OOHHH I’m the first to post a comment! Funny how the small things can get you so excited. Thanks so much for all your photoshop help. PPing has got me in a twist right now and every little bit helps.

2. Tiffaney

October 9th, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Thanks Jasmine. Another fine job!

3. kymberli q.

October 9th, 2008 at 7:35 pm

Hi Jasmine,

Do you think one time you could show the before and after to see what type of difference it made on your photos? All of your color images look so nice, I can’t see it making much difference on some – but maybe that’s the power of them…not sure.

4. taryn

October 9th, 2008 at 8:28 pm

i’m a first time commenter … and i just want to say that YOU are totally rad, jasmine star. lol! thanks for sharing your secrets. i really love your work. you’re amazing!

5. jen berry

October 9th, 2008 at 8:53 pm

i like how you used pool party on the first one. its subtle. first time i’ve seen it like that. how are you so good and you play nice, and share.

6. Ben Watson

October 9th, 2008 at 9:30 pm

WOW, can’t believe I posted before my wife! Anyways, thank you so much for giving the people what they want! It’s nice to see that you squeeze some time in for us in your busy schedule. It’s GREATLY appreciated!!

7. Joan Solitario

October 9th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

THANK YOU JASMINE! I’m definitely going to get me some Totally Rad Actions soon! Thank you so much!

8. Katrina James

October 9th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Thank for sharing! Just wondering how you present your images to the client? Are they all retouched before you show them?

9. Navy Sou

October 9th, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Hey Jasmine! I never know when to use Not-So-Magic Glasses from TRA and I see that you used it in one of the photos here. Can you give any advice as to when and why it can be put to use?

10. Amy Starks

October 9th, 2008 at 10:14 pm

I absolutely love these actions. They really do take images to a whole new level! Thank you for sharing your perspective!

11. Matthew Saville

October 9th, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Man, if only I could think if totally rad names for MY actions, too! 😛

12. jackie wonders

October 9th, 2008 at 10:26 pm

i feel the same way about sepia, but i too love the cinamon toast. my faves are can-o-whoopass, luxe soft and bullet tooth. i’m pretty much obsesed…

13. Larry Reeves

October 9th, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Thanks so much! I love that in today’s photog world we all share our "secrets" with each other to help and teach. Great work, again!

14. Natarasha N. Wright

October 9th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Thank You! For showing use how they look on your pictures.

15. Matt Reoch

October 9th, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Just like Katrinas inquiry – Jasmine are you presenting all of your images with post production or just a selection of images with post work to your clients? OR are you just doing post production work for your blog, websites, etc? Totally curious. Its a lot of work, as you know…

16. lin

October 10th, 2008 at 2:05 am

Thanks J* for providing insight into your post production! (^.^)/

17. Bleigh (rLiss Photography)

October 10th, 2008 at 3:11 am

I seriously LOVE LOVE LOVE Cinnamon Toast too! 🙂

18. Val McCormick Photography

October 10th, 2008 at 4:09 am

I seriously LOVE TRA actions! I love that fact that you can mix and adjust so that their are so many unique combination. Keep posting your recipes. I love to see how others work 🙂

19. Joshua K

October 10th, 2008 at 4:50 am

Thanks Jasmine !

20. Lara

October 10th, 2008 at 10:49 am

Wow! These are awesome – I also mainly use Kubota but play quite a bit with both TRA sets. BTW, I love what you did to #4 – the tone is so cold, but the picture still reads warm! Incredible!

21. Andrea

October 10th, 2008 at 11:46 am

I have both sets of TRAs…but what is Uber Cross? Am I missing something here? 🙂

Thanks for the post J*!

22. Cortney

October 10th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous! Would you be willing to show us the straight-out-of-the-camera shots so we can compare?

23. tish

October 10th, 2008 at 1:49 pm

wow! that seems like it is a TON of work! you don’t process all of the photos you take, do you?

24. Megan

October 10th, 2008 at 2:39 pm

I’m loving the flowers shots. I was really excited to see more than what you showed before of this wedding- and sometimes I over look photos that were in groupings before- like the first shot. How amazing it must be to capture events that are just SO beautiful in every detail!

25. Anne Nunn Photography

October 10th, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Thanx Jasmine! I love how clear your photos are. I bought Majic sharp after your post about that one. I guess i have some other ones to buy!:)

26. Fran

October 10th, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Could we see before and after photos??

they look absolutely awesome! thank you for sharing your tips.

27. Allyson Magda

October 10th, 2008 at 7:26 pm

those kids are just about the cutest ever!

28. Kellan

October 10th, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Never thought to mix Sparta and Pool Party….you got my gears turning. Thanks for sharing your formulas, always fun to see how others utilize TRA. I echo the others questions. Do you process to this extent all of your pictures or just a small percent for your blog and like 10% for your clients to choose from their overall proofs?

29. SJ Styles

October 11th, 2008 at 12:24 am

I would also like to see some before and afters!!! Great INFO BTW

30. cassandra m

October 11th, 2008 at 6:43 am

ohhhh la la. sweeeet post processing girl! awesome.

31. Jasmine*

October 11th, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Hi friends! You can see a TON of before and after photos on the TRA site, so that’s why I opted to just show the fully edited versions of the pictures. All wedding images are prettified in Lightroom, and custom retouching is done for slideshow images and album images. Hope this helps! 🙂

32. Bill Wolfe

October 13th, 2008 at 1:47 am

I don’t know which set ‘Uber Cross’ is in. I looked at all the actions from both sets and didn’t see it. (?)

33. Anna

October 13th, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Hi Jasmine!! Thanks for all your sharing!! Your imagens "talks for themselves"!! Copying the comment below… I can´t find "Uber Cross" …Is it in a new set?Thnx 🙂

34. Jasmine*

October 13th, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Hi friends! So, I use the early version of The Revenge Action Set, and since then a few name changes have occurred. Uber Cross has now become Luxe Hard. Thanks in advance! 🙂

35. Emily Mason

October 14th, 2008 at 12:54 am

Thanks for your tips! I love Kubota and have wanted Totally Rad for a long time. I must have it!!

36. Ginger Murray

October 14th, 2008 at 3:21 am

Thanks for sharing your processes, and answering everyone’s questions! Very helpful! You know we all love your images!

37. Tracy

November 3rd, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for the post…question – how do you remember what actions you use on your pics? Do you write them all down? Is there a way to know? The file name????

38. Amanda

November 28th, 2008 at 11:39 pm

Hey Jasmine, Great Images!
    I have the same question as Tracy… How on earth do you remember what you did to the images? Do you have a system for taking notes on your image processing.
    I often look back to my images and think that looks so cool… if only I could remember how I did that!? lol

39. Cherie-Lynn

December 2nd, 2008 at 8:18 pm

I have to tell you first off your works is beautiful and inspiring.
    Because of you I have recently purchased both TRA sets as well as a bunch of the Kubota action sets. Since doing so the difference in response to my photography has been overwhelming. I also love that you’ve posted some recipes, thank you.

40. Kimberly

December 6th, 2009 at 4:09 am

Hi Jasmine,

First of all you have beautiful work! I was wondering if you have had any problems with the color going weird when using the detroit action at 100%. It looks fine when I process it the first time but if I reopen the file later the highlights seems to be cyan in color? Thanks in advance for your help.