FAQ : Shooting Wedding Details

FAQ : Shooting Wedding Details

Photography

Yesterday I had the distinct honor of having a wedding featured on Style Me Pretty. Like always, I love working with Abby and the SMP crew, so when Emily and D.J.’s Montage Laguna Beach wedding was featured, I was thrilled. It was awesome to revisit their wedding, so as I perused their wedding details, I thought I’d post a few more pictures…and include the metadata.

After posting the Dark Church and Ceremony FAQ post, a few photographers emailed and asked for more metadata posts. I usually shy away from these posts because they take f.o.r.e.v.e.r, but I’ll try to make more of an effort to share. Like usual, I’m not inferring my way is the best (or the right) way to shoot..I’m merely sharing how I do it. I hope it’s cool…

This post contains photos that weren’t included in the original wedding blog post, to better focus on their wedding details…

Emily made a truly stunning bride and her wedding remains one of my favorites still to this day…

This photo isn’t really a detail, but, just look at this pretty much grainless photo…shot at 3200iso…seriously, I love my Canon 5DMII.

Cocktail hour and lounge…

The decor and design was created by Square Root Designs…and I loved it!

Many thanks to Patty Burns and Jaime Puffer of the Montage Laguna Beach Events and Catering department…they’re simply divine.

Happy Thursday!

comments

1. Mireille -

Quite an effort to include all meta data because it so helpful and informative. Thank you!

7.29.10 - 8:32 pm

2. Jeanette -

Still amazed that you only use primes!

7.29.10 - 8:35 pm

3. Emily Ebeling -

I can tell you really enjoyed shooting this wedding- what beautiful details (and a great bride!) thanks for sharing the specs on them, too- it’s good to see what others do to challenge myself to shoot better! -em

7.29.10 - 8:36 pm

4. Shayna -

Awesome, as always. How do you change your ISO settings? Do you change them before each exposure like you change the shutter speed and aperture or does the 5D have a way that you can set it to auto-adjust?

I think some more ISO experimentation on my part is in order!

7.29.10 - 8:37 pm

5. Lora Ayers -

Thank you so much, I’m sorry it took forever, but I sure do appreciate the metadata, you rock j*!

7.29.10 - 8:38 pm

6. Heather Disarro -

absolutely beautiful…this is one of my favorite weddings too!

7.29.10 - 8:39 pm

7. Neha -

Thanks so much! This was quite informative! Lovely images, by the way…..as usual….I wouldn’t expect anything less!! Can’t wait for more FAQ postings in the future *hint,hint* πŸ˜‰

7.29.10 - 8:39 pm

8. Julie Hartman -

Beautiful photos Jasmine! I can’t wait to get my 50mm! Thank you for sharing!

7.29.10 - 8:41 pm

9. Kelly Mendoza -

Jasmine…thank you for always being so open with your information and offering your wisdom. This was beautiful.

7.29.10 - 8:42 pm

10. Ashley Daniell -

What a beautiful wedding! When you’re shooting, do you just change lenses often or do you use two camera bodies with two different lenses? I tend to forget to switch my lenses as I’m shooting!!! Plus, it’s not that fast of a process to switch.

7.29.10 - 8:42 pm

11. Mark Williamson -

As usual, great shots and thanks for sharing the EXIF data. It really is a huge help to those of us who are still learning.

7.29.10 - 8:42 pm

12. Mikaela -

Oh thank you, thank you! You are wonderful for posting these FAQ’s. I’ve never pushed my 5DMII’s iso that high, but now that I know the results.. πŸ™‚ Gorgeous details & wedding, too!

7.29.10 - 8:44 pm

13. Vicky -

Love the detail photos of her wedding dress! =)

7.29.10 - 8:44 pm

14. Natalie Tuggle -

Thank you so much for sharing this! This is so helpful.

7.29.10 - 8:46 pm

15. amie -

i love these detail shots! very interesting to see the metadata.

7.29.10 - 8:47 pm

16. Tina J -

Thank you so much Jasmine for your willingness to share and help your fellow photographers. I love your work and appreciate how real and genuine you are.

7.29.10 - 8:48 pm

17. angel pope -

Oh, how I you more and more each passing day! Thanks for taking the time to post these metadata photos! LUVS!!!

7.29.10 - 8:50 pm

18. Sarah Danaher -

Details are my FAVORITES, but I find it difficult to remember to shoot them when I’m the primary shooter. I’m doing my best to make a concerted effort to *focus on the details,* because they make the whole picture set soooooo delicious to look at, but it’s SO much easier to shoot details as a second shooter. =P

7.29.10 - 8:53 pm

19. Melanie Toutai -

You are amazing J*. Thank you!

7.29.10 - 8:55 pm

20. Vanessa Voth -

I love your FAQ posts!!! thank you so much for taking the time!
    Question: I notice, when you post the metadata or images, that your ISO is constantly changing, even in similar locations. Any particular reason for this? Just curious.

7.29.10 - 8:57 pm

21. Ashley Smith -

J* You rock! Thanks for sharing and also helping me become better at my photos. cheeehooo!

7.29.10 - 9:00 pm

22. Charisma -

Thank you! This could not have come at a better time. VERY helpful!!

7.29.10 - 9:02 pm

23. Evie Perez -

Your crispness kills me! I love it. Congrats!!

7.29.10 - 9:05 pm

24. Feuza -

thanks for sharing and for digging those up, these details make me ooze excitement, love weddings πŸ™‚

7.29.10 - 9:13 pm

25. Anne -

Beautiful wedding and photos — I love this post! It is sooo helpful and really inspires me! THANK YOU!

7.29.10 - 9:19 pm

26. Dana Fiorito -

Can I get married again and reincarnate this exact day? Her dress is to. die. for.

7.29.10 - 9:29 pm

27. Stephanie Conn w/VMP -

I always heart 50mm shots, it’s my fave lense! Thanks for the post Jasmine, very helpful! πŸ™‚

7.29.10 - 9:31 pm

28. Kami Van Slyke -

If you wanted to save time, you could always set LR to export your metadata within your images. That way, we could just right-click and save-as to see all the details any time we want πŸ™‚

7.29.10 - 9:31 pm

29. Linsey Wilt -

Thank you so much for sharing, what a gorgeous wedding!! Thank you for including the EXIF data, so helpful!! That one picture you included that was at 3200iso, amazing! 5DMII’s rock, I feel very spoiled.

7.29.10 - 9:33 pm

30. Connie -

Do you always use center focusing, or do you change it depending on your focus area? Thanks Jasmine for always sharing. You really are very gracious for doing that for us!

7.29.10 - 9:34 pm

31. kym vitar -

as always, i learn something every time i read your blog! thanks Jasmine!

7.29.10 - 9:34 pm

32. David Angel -

Yes, thank you for putting your meta on the images! Very cool!

7.29.10 - 9:37 pm

33. Jen -

Thanks for sharing Jasmine! I love that you are such a willing teacher… great post!

7.29.10 - 9:46 pm

34. alice -

great tips, thank you!

7.29.10 - 9:50 pm

35. Romonia Isaac -

Absolutely breathtaking and beautiful!! That b/w photo at 3200 iso is magnificent!!!! Gots to love Canon!!!!! πŸ™‚ Thank you for sharing! Beautiful wedding, bride and reception and yes the groom was handsome too!!! ;-)~

7.29.10 - 9:54 pm

36. Otto Rascon -

Thanks for posting the camera settings on these photos. I love seeing/reading the way you shoot. Rock on!

7.29.10 - 9:57 pm

37. Michael Ririe -

These shots show the recipe for the wedding, which is essentially the purpose to the details, right? Love the shots!

7.29.10 - 9:58 pm

38. Steve Fogarty -

f/wideOpen all the way πŸ˜‰

7.29.10 - 10:17 pm

39. joar andrΓ© -

I think it is pretty obvious that we all love your pictures! And thank you so much for including the metadata. Sometimes I really wonder what f-stop to shoot at, and now you have helped me out a bit. Tusen takk πŸ™‚

7.29.10 - 10:29 pm

40. dorelies -

Hi Jasmine, I love your blog and your FAQ and the shooting details are great!!!!!! Is it right you used your 50 mm, 85 mm and 24-70 mm. Do you use a special macro lense?
    I realy learnt so much from you – you are great.

7.29.10 - 10:46 pm

41. Byron Roe -

Wow, what a view and what fun to shoot! Eye candy galore.

7.29.10 - 11:32 pm

42. Matt -

Great job! Have you made any changes to the picture style on the 5D MKII? The camera comes with the setting set to standard but I was curious if you changed it in any way.

7.29.10 - 11:50 pm

43. Melissa Papaj Photography -

I love, Love, LOVE your work and was way excited to see it featured yesterday. Someday…maybe someday I will be as cool as you πŸ˜‰

7.30.10 - 12:13 am

44. kellymarie -

you rock!!

7.30.10 - 1:34 am

45. AnneMarie -

Hi Jasmine, My friend and I aren’t into wedding photography but are addicted to reading your blog. It’s one of the things I enjoy before turning off my Mac at night. ~ Thanks for including meta data in this post. I like knowing what settings other people use. xx

7.30.10 - 2:02 am

46. Victoria de Martigny -

These shots are gorgeous Jasmine! I notice that you use that 50mm lens a LOT – I will have to make a habit of using mine more often.

There are also several shots at 85mm – is that also a prime lens that you favor?

One last question: Since you always work with your awesome second shooter, do you still carry two bodies on you with different lenses mounted on each? And if so, which two lenses? I guess that was two questions… oopsy πŸ™‚

7.30.10 - 2:23 am

47. bobbie brown -

wow… I can’t imagine how long it must take to prepare one of these posts… all the info… so I’d like to say a big HUGE Thank you!! πŸ™‚

7.30.10 - 4:28 am

48. Juan C. Alonso -

Ok, I never comment on your posts, but I had to on this one. Thank, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! Xoxoxoxoxo πŸ™‚ for yhe metadata. πŸ™‚

7.30.10 - 5:16 am

49. John Sharpe -

Jasmine…I cannot say it enough! Your work is just plain awesome and that dress is amazing!

7.30.10 - 5:52 am

50. AnnaLisa -

Absolutely Fantabulous!!! Love Love Love your work! I’m from the Bay Area in Northern CA and stumbled on your blog by chance and I am soo happy that I did. I literally yelled when I read you shoot with a Canon. (the huzz man thought I was nutz) Thank you so much for sharing, I look forward to reading your blog. I have always loved photography and have had a camera since I was in my teens but now I am shooting with a new set of eyes and am loving every step of the way. Much love from a fan πŸ™‚

7.30.10 - 6:20 am

51. Nellie Guerrero -

I heart you girl. So helpful as always and those details are stunning! I love details.

7.30.10 - 7:00 am

52. skye nestler -

You are seriously an inspiration and such a wonderful person sharing information like this. SO many photographers here in Sydney do not give info like this out to help people like me who are starting out in the business. I have become so addicted to your blog and reading and viewing your images I feel like Im stalking you online!!! You are wonderful. And your work is a absolute inspiration to me.

7.30.10 - 7:23 am

53. Adriana -

WOW! How I wish I had hired you for MY wedding!!

7.30.10 - 10:54 am

54. viola tavazzani -

You are the best.
    This is so so so useful for all of us πŸ™‚

7.30.10 - 11:16 am

55. Shannon -

Oh – I LOVE that canopy.

I love all the white in these shots, I always find it hard to shoot white on white without blowing highlights or coming up with grey tones. You’ve done a great job and that watch and bracelet photograph is perfect – a lovely and unique way to show details. xx

7.30.10 - 1:44 pm

56. Laura James -

Do you always shoot wide open or just for detial shots? Love love her dress. Thanks for sharing.

7.30.10 - 1:45 pm

57. Vicki -

I LOVE your FAQ posts! I know this was a lot of work, but it is greatly appreciated!

7.30.10 - 1:45 pm

58. ShannonPD -

Hey Jas!!! Just wanted to start off saying that I know you always say "not to infere my way is the best or right way…" well hell yea it is because it’s def. working!!!! I just bought the 5D, and are you manually setting your ISO or are you letting the camera choose, because I notice you’ll shoot at 200 and then 220 ISO. I just want to know how to get the best images from the MarkII. πŸ™‚

7.30.10 - 2:17 pm

59. Alex -

These are great Jasmine! Thanks for sharing!

7.30.10 - 3:19 pm

60. Laurie Bracewell -

As always, thank you for taking the time to post these! You’re a gem!!

7.30.10 - 4:03 pm

61. Holli True -

This post is amazing!!! I am in love with all of the details! πŸ™‚ Details make me happy, so this post pretty much made my day. Such a gorgeous wedding!

7.30.10 - 4:04 pm

62. Erica Velasco -

Very cute details!

7.30.10 - 4:04 pm

63. Mark Weston -

Jasmine. Your work looks great. Thank you for sharing the details.

7.30.10 - 4:45 pm

64. Linda -

Thanks, Jasmine!! for being so generous with your time and talent. You help so many by giving us the practical stuff. We appreciate you tons!

7.30.10 - 6:04 pm

65. Mark Hayes -

I do like the tech info – if for no other reason than to show how you rock out that 50mm most of the time and some of the stuff done with the 85mm.

7.30.10 - 6:33 pm

66. James -

Amazing pictures, i love how you include your camera settings on each picture. Good work!! =)

7.30.10 - 7:32 pm

67. Girish -

Thanks a lot for sharing the tech specs.

That’s a great clean picture for 3200 ISO.

7.30.10 - 7:49 pm

68. Alicia Candelora -

That dress is seriously SO OMG-worthy!

7.31.10 - 3:49 am

69. Pamela Topping -

Thanks for sharing these, Jasmine! I absolutely love detail shots.

7.31.10 - 4:25 am

70. Erika -

I loved this post. So informative and your photos are so amazing to look at! I have a question though. Do you shoot manual??

7.31.10 - 2:40 pm

71. Emily -

Every time I see that dress I fall more in love with it. Absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful post. I love to see the details of how you have shot the details. I was the primary photographer at a wedding last week, whew was I TIRED! You do amazing work my dear, that is not easy job! I I just adore you Jasmine!

7.31.10 - 3:46 pm

72. Jasmine Asaf -

OMG this wedding is out of this world. I love how crisp and clean it is. You did an amazing job capturing their special day.

7.31.10 - 4:59 pm

73. Karen Stott -

Ok now this is GORGEOUS! Ridiculous Really. I am SO in love…the tent is seriously a dream come true. Can I please come hang out in it?

8.1.10 - 12:56 am

74. OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS -

LOVE THE DETAILS!

8.1.10 - 6:02 am

75. chloe -

your photo’s are AMAZING!

8.1.10 - 6:06 am

76. Valerie Yamile -

J*, you really are so much more than a photographer. I don’t want to be a wedding photographer, but you have slowly become my mentor over the years, and I hope that I can approach whatever I do in life with the same zest for life that you have. Thank you. -Val

8.1.10 - 7:28 pm

77. Carrie McCluskey -

Gorgeous work, Jasmine!

8.1.10 - 7:57 pm

78. The Hens Nest -

What a gorgeous wedding. The detail on the brides wedding dress reminds me of vintage lace, something my grandma would have made or loved. Adore the cake and the fact that the piping matches the dress = gorgeous!
    THN

8.2.10 - 12:14 pm

79. Joe Anna -

Love it! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚ it is so helpful!

8.2.10 - 3:30 pm

80. Stephanie Stewart -

Thank you so much for sharing all of these details! I know it takes a lot of time to get images blog ready, let alone to add all the EXIF data! You rock!

8.2.10 - 8:01 pm

81. Truc -

I always love your details shots! This was a beautiful wedding!

8.3.10 - 3:19 pm

82. Apple -

hmm. jas, question, how do you know when to use prime, when to use zoom? is it based on the depth-of-field?:)

8.6.10 - 2:26 pm

83. Colorado Wedding Photographers, JasonG -

Nice exposures in all of the detail images… I know it’s a pain to include the data – but it’s totally worth it for us! Thank you.

8.9.10 - 9:47 pm

84. Bristol Wedding Photographer -

Really nicely done! Like it!

8.25.10 - 8:25 pm

85. RAMYAD WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER LONDON -

Wow, this is such a great post. I’m glad I found it. Thank you sooo much for the metadata. It is very informative, refreshing and inspiring to find help like this. Now, where’s the piggy bank, I want the 50L and 85L lenses too πŸ™‚

8.26.10 - 1:23 pm

86. Mike Prasad -

Jasmine, thanks for sharing so much and putting yourself out there.

8.27.10 - 3:51 am

87. Thatcher -

This is awesome! I am so convinced that I need to drop my Nikon D300 and pick up A Canon 5DMII. I shot with it a few times and loved it. Keep doing what you’re doing.

8.27.10 - 11:01 pm

88. Sarah -

I am sitting here simultaneously going back and forth from your CreativeLive stream to your blog and marveling at your amazing talent. You nail it. Every. Single. Time. KEEP KILLIN’ IT, JASMINE!

8.28.10 - 4:35 am

89. Ofir Abe -

i also got here from the creativelive broadcast, all the way from ISRAEL. love what you do, you do rock, hard! πŸ˜‰

i will follow you, your charm, your talent.

peace out,
    Ofir

8.30.10 - 9:58 am

90. Olga -

Jasmine, is there a place in photoshop to go and view the camera settings that were used in the photos taken? I know some programs like Picasa show the camera settings, but I can’t find it in CS4.

9.3.10 - 5:13 pm

91. neil mackenzie -

havn’t digital cameras come along way in the last 6 years, 3200 iso and the images look stunning, try doing doing that on film!
    Wedding photography has been transformed, no shooting with 2 cameras, B&W & a camera loaded with colour

10.31.10 - 9:02 am

92. Thomas James, Wedding Photographer Bath -

First thought on image 1.

Is that a really big picture or really small dress?

2.21.11 - 9:13 am