FAQ : Shooting Wedding Details

Yesterday I had the distinct honor of having a wedding featured on Style Me Pretty. Like always, I love working with Abby and the SMP crew, so when Emily and D.J.’s Montage Laguna Beach wedding was featured, I was thrilled. It was awesome to revisit their wedding, so as I perused their wedding details, I thought I’d post a few more pictures…and include the metadata.

After posting the Dark Church and Ceremony FAQ post, a few photographers emailed and asked for more metadata posts. I usually shy away from these posts because they take f.o.r.e.v.e.r, but I’ll try to make more of an effort to share. Like usual, I’m not inferring my way is the best (or the right) way to shoot..I’m merely sharing how I do it. I hope it’s cool…

This post contains photos that weren’t included in the original wedding blog post, to better focus on their wedding details…

Emily made a truly stunning bride and her wedding remains one of my favorites still to this day…

This photo isn’t really a detail, but, just look at this pretty much grainless photo…shot at 3200iso…seriously, I love my Canon 5DMII.

Cocktail hour and lounge…

The decor and design was created by Square Root Designs…and I loved it!

Many thanks to Patty Burns and Jaime Puffer of the Montage Laguna Beach Events and Catering department…they’re simply divine.

Happy Thursday!

1. Mireille

July 29th, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Quite an effort to include all meta data because it so helpful and informative. Thank you!

2. Jeanette

July 29th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Still amazed that you only use primes!

3. Emily Ebeling

July 29th, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I can tell you really enjoyed shooting this wedding- what beautiful details (and a great bride!) thanks for sharing the specs on them, too- it’s good to see what others do to challenge myself to shoot better! -em

4. Shayna

July 29th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Awesome, as always. How do you change your ISO settings? Do you change them before each exposure like you change the shutter speed and aperture or does the 5D have a way that you can set it to auto-adjust?

I think some more ISO experimentation on my part is in order!

5. Lora Ayers

July 29th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Thank you so much, I’m sorry it took forever, but I sure do appreciate the metadata, you rock j*!

6. Heather Disarro

July 29th, 2010 at 8:39 pm

absolutely beautiful…this is one of my favorite weddings too!

7. Neha

July 29th, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Thanks so much! This was quite informative! Lovely images, by the way…..as usual….I wouldn’t expect anything less!! Can’t wait for more FAQ postings in the future *hint,hint* πŸ˜‰

8. Julie Hartman

July 29th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Beautiful photos Jasmine! I can’t wait to get my 50mm! Thank you for sharing!

9. Kelly Mendoza

July 29th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Jasmine…thank you for always being so open with your information and offering your wisdom. This was beautiful.

10. Ashley Daniell

July 29th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

What a beautiful wedding! When you’re shooting, do you just change lenses often or do you use two camera bodies with two different lenses? I tend to forget to switch my lenses as I’m shooting!!! Plus, it’s not that fast of a process to switch.

11. Mark Williamson

July 29th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

As usual, great shots and thanks for sharing the EXIF data. It really is a huge help to those of us who are still learning.

12. Mikaela

July 29th, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Oh thank you, thank you! You are wonderful for posting these FAQ’s. I’ve never pushed my 5DMII’s iso that high, but now that I know the results.. πŸ™‚ Gorgeous details & wedding, too!

13. Vicky

July 29th, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Love the detail photos of her wedding dress! =)

14. Natalie Tuggle

July 29th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! This is so helpful.

15. amie

July 29th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

i love these detail shots! very interesting to see the metadata.

16. Tina J

July 29th, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Thank you so much Jasmine for your willingness to share and help your fellow photographers. I love your work and appreciate how real and genuine you are.

17. angel pope

July 29th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Oh, how I you more and more each passing day! Thanks for taking the time to post these metadata photos! LUVS!!!

18. Sarah Danaher

July 29th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Details are my FAVORITES, but I find it difficult to remember to shoot them when I’m the primary shooter. I’m doing my best to make a concerted effort to *focus on the details,* because they make the whole picture set soooooo delicious to look at, but it’s SO much easier to shoot details as a second shooter. =P

19. Melanie Toutai

July 29th, 2010 at 8:55 pm

You are amazing J*. Thank you!

20. Vanessa Voth

July 29th, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I love your FAQ posts!!! thank you so much for taking the time!
    Question: I notice, when you post the metadata or images, that your ISO is constantly changing, even in similar locations. Any particular reason for this? Just curious.

21. Ashley Smith

July 29th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

J* You rock! Thanks for sharing and also helping me become better at my photos. cheeehooo!

22. Charisma

July 29th, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Thank you! This could not have come at a better time. VERY helpful!!

23. Evie Perez

July 29th, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Your crispness kills me! I love it. Congrats!!

24. Feuza

July 29th, 2010 at 9:13 pm

thanks for sharing and for digging those up, these details make me ooze excitement, love weddings πŸ™‚

25. Anne

July 29th, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Beautiful wedding and photos — I love this post! It is sooo helpful and really inspires me! THANK YOU!

26. Dana Fiorito

July 29th, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Can I get married again and reincarnate this exact day? Her dress is to. die. for.

27. Stephanie Conn w/VMP

July 29th, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I always heart 50mm shots, it’s my fave lense! Thanks for the post Jasmine, very helpful! πŸ™‚

28. Kami Van Slyke

July 29th, 2010 at 9:31 pm

If you wanted to save time, you could always set LR to export your metadata within your images. That way, we could just right-click and save-as to see all the details any time we want πŸ™‚

29. Linsey Wilt

July 29th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Thank you so much for sharing, what a gorgeous wedding!! Thank you for including the EXIF data, so helpful!! That one picture you included that was at 3200iso, amazing! 5DMII’s rock, I feel very spoiled.

30. Connie

July 29th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Do you always use center focusing, or do you change it depending on your focus area? Thanks Jasmine for always sharing. You really are very gracious for doing that for us!

31. kym vitar

July 29th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

as always, i learn something every time i read your blog! thanks Jasmine!

32. David Angel

July 29th, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Yes, thank you for putting your meta on the images! Very cool!

33. Jen

July 29th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for sharing Jasmine! I love that you are such a willing teacher… great post!

34. alice

July 29th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

great tips, thank you!

35. Romonia Isaac

July 29th, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Absolutely breathtaking and beautiful!! That b/w photo at 3200 iso is magnificent!!!! Gots to love Canon!!!!! πŸ™‚ Thank you for sharing! Beautiful wedding, bride and reception and yes the groom was handsome too!!! ;-)~

36. Otto Rascon

July 29th, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for posting the camera settings on these photos. I love seeing/reading the way you shoot. Rock on!

37. Michael Ririe

July 29th, 2010 at 9:58 pm

These shots show the recipe for the wedding, which is essentially the purpose to the details, right? Love the shots!

38. Steve Fogarty

July 29th, 2010 at 10:17 pm

f/wideOpen all the way πŸ˜‰

39. joar andrΓ©

July 29th, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I think it is pretty obvious that we all love your pictures! And thank you so much for including the metadata. Sometimes I really wonder what f-stop to shoot at, and now you have helped me out a bit. Tusen takk πŸ™‚

40. dorelies

July 29th, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Hi Jasmine, I love your blog and your FAQ and the shooting details are great!!!!!! Is it right you used your 50 mm, 85 mm and 24-70 mm. Do you use a special macro lense?
    I realy learnt so much from you – you are great.

41. Byron Roe

July 29th, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Wow, what a view and what fun to shoot! Eye candy galore.

42. Matt

July 29th, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Great job! Have you made any changes to the picture style on the 5D MKII? The camera comes with the setting set to standard but I was curious if you changed it in any way.

43. Melissa Papaj Photography

July 30th, 2010 at 12:13 am

I love, Love, LOVE your work and was way excited to see it featured yesterday. Someday…maybe someday I will be as cool as you πŸ˜‰

44. kellymarie

July 30th, 2010 at 1:34 am

you rock!!

45. AnneMarie

July 30th, 2010 at 2:02 am

Hi Jasmine, My friend and I aren’t into wedding photography but are addicted to reading your blog. It’s one of the things I enjoy before turning off my Mac at night. ~ Thanks for including meta data in this post. I like knowing what settings other people use. xx

46. Victoria de Martigny

July 30th, 2010 at 2:23 am

These shots are gorgeous Jasmine! I notice that you use that 50mm lens a LOT – I will have to make a habit of using mine more often.

There are also several shots at 85mm – is that also a prime lens that you favor?

One last question: Since you always work with your awesome second shooter, do you still carry two bodies on you with different lenses mounted on each? And if so, which two lenses? I guess that was two questions… oopsy πŸ™‚

47. bobbie brown

July 30th, 2010 at 4:28 am

wow… I can’t imagine how long it must take to prepare one of these posts… all the info… so I’d like to say a big HUGE Thank you!! πŸ™‚

48. Juan C. Alonso

July 30th, 2010 at 5:16 am

Ok, I never comment on your posts, but I had to on this one. Thank, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! Xoxoxoxoxo πŸ™‚ for yhe metadata. πŸ™‚

49. John Sharpe

July 30th, 2010 at 5:52 am

Jasmine…I cannot say it enough! Your work is just plain awesome and that dress is amazing!

50. AnnaLisa

July 30th, 2010 at 6:20 am

Absolutely Fantabulous!!! Love Love Love your work! I’m from the Bay Area in Northern CA and stumbled on your blog by chance and I am soo happy that I did. I literally yelled when I read you shoot with a Canon. (the huzz man thought I was nutz) Thank you so much for sharing, I look forward to reading your blog. I have always loved photography and have had a camera since I was in my teens but now I am shooting with a new set of eyes and am loving every step of the way. Much love from a fan πŸ™‚

51. Nellie Guerrero

July 30th, 2010 at 7:00 am

I heart you girl. So helpful as always and those details are stunning! I love details.

52. skye nestler

July 30th, 2010 at 7:23 am

You are seriously an inspiration and such a wonderful person sharing information like this. SO many photographers here in Sydney do not give info like this out to help people like me who are starting out in the business. I have become so addicted to your blog and reading and viewing your images I feel like Im stalking you online!!! You are wonderful. And your work is a absolute inspiration to me.

53. Adriana

July 30th, 2010 at 10:54 am

WOW! How I wish I had hired you for MY wedding!!

54. viola tavazzani

July 30th, 2010 at 11:16 am

You are the best.
    This is so so so useful for all of us πŸ™‚

55. Shannon

July 30th, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Oh – I LOVE that canopy.

I love all the white in these shots, I always find it hard to shoot white on white without blowing highlights or coming up with grey tones. You’ve done a great job and that watch and bracelet photograph is perfect – a lovely and unique way to show details. xx

56. Laura James

July 30th, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Do you always shoot wide open or just for detial shots? Love love her dress. Thanks for sharing.

57. Vicki

July 30th, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I LOVE your FAQ posts! I know this was a lot of work, but it is greatly appreciated!

58. ShannonPD

July 30th, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Hey Jas!!! Just wanted to start off saying that I know you always say "not to infere my way is the best or right way…" well hell yea it is because it’s def. working!!!! I just bought the 5D, and are you manually setting your ISO or are you letting the camera choose, because I notice you’ll shoot at 200 and then 220 ISO. I just want to know how to get the best images from the MarkII. πŸ™‚

59. Alex

July 30th, 2010 at 3:19 pm

These are great Jasmine! Thanks for sharing!

60. Laurie Bracewell

July 30th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

As always, thank you for taking the time to post these! You’re a gem!!

61. Holli True

July 30th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

This post is amazing!!! I am in love with all of the details! πŸ™‚ Details make me happy, so this post pretty much made my day. Such a gorgeous wedding!

62. Erica Velasco

July 30th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Very cute details!

63. Mark Weston

July 30th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Jasmine. Your work looks great. Thank you for sharing the details.

64. Linda

July 30th, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Thanks, Jasmine!! for being so generous with your time and talent. You help so many by giving us the practical stuff. We appreciate you tons!

65. Mark Hayes

July 30th, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I do like the tech info – if for no other reason than to show how you rock out that 50mm most of the time and some of the stuff done with the 85mm.

66. James

July 30th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Amazing pictures, i love how you include your camera settings on each picture. Good work!! =)

67. Girish

July 30th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing the tech specs.

That’s a great clean picture for 3200 ISO.

68. Alicia Candelora

July 31st, 2010 at 3:49 am

That dress is seriously SO OMG-worthy!

69. Pamela Topping

July 31st, 2010 at 4:25 am

Thanks for sharing these, Jasmine! I absolutely love detail shots.

70. Erika

July 31st, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I loved this post. So informative and your photos are so amazing to look at! I have a question though. Do you shoot manual??

71. Emily

July 31st, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Every time I see that dress I fall more in love with it. Absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful post. I love to see the details of how you have shot the details. I was the primary photographer at a wedding last week, whew was I TIRED! You do amazing work my dear, that is not easy job! I I just adore you Jasmine!

72. Jasmine Asaf

July 31st, 2010 at 4:59 pm

OMG this wedding is out of this world. I love how crisp and clean it is. You did an amazing job capturing their special day.

73. Karen Stott

August 1st, 2010 at 12:56 am

Ok now this is GORGEOUS! Ridiculous Really. I am SO in love…the tent is seriously a dream come true. Can I please come hang out in it?

August 1st, 2010 at 6:02 am

75. chloe

August 1st, 2010 at 6:06 am

your photo’s are AMAZING!

76. Valerie Yamile

August 1st, 2010 at 7:28 pm

J*, you really are so much more than a photographer. I don’t want to be a wedding photographer, but you have slowly become my mentor over the years, and I hope that I can approach whatever I do in life with the same zest for life that you have. Thank you. -Val

77. Carrie McCluskey

August 1st, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Gorgeous work, Jasmine!

78. The Hens Nest

August 2nd, 2010 at 12:14 pm

What a gorgeous wedding. The detail on the brides wedding dress reminds me of vintage lace, something my grandma would have made or loved. Adore the cake and the fact that the piping matches the dress = gorgeous!

79. Joe Anna

August 2nd, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Love it! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚ it is so helpful!

80. Stephanie Stewart

August 2nd, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Thank you so much for sharing all of these details! I know it takes a lot of time to get images blog ready, let alone to add all the EXIF data! You rock!

81. Truc

August 3rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I always love your details shots! This was a beautiful wedding!

82. Apple

August 6th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

hmm. jas, question, how do you know when to use prime, when to use zoom? is it based on the depth-of-field?:)

83. Colorado Wedding Photographers, JasonG

August 9th, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Nice exposures in all of the detail images… I know it’s a pain to include the data – but it’s totally worth it for us! Thank you.

84. Bristol Wedding Photographer

August 25th, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Really nicely done! Like it!

August 26th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Wow, this is such a great post. I’m glad I found it. Thank you sooo much for the metadata. It is very informative, refreshing and inspiring to find help like this. Now, where’s the piggy bank, I want the 50L and 85L lenses too πŸ™‚

86. Mike Prasad

August 27th, 2010 at 3:51 am

Jasmine, thanks for sharing so much and putting yourself out there.

87. Thatcher

August 27th, 2010 at 11:01 pm

This is awesome! I am so convinced that I need to drop my Nikon D300 and pick up A Canon 5DMII. I shot with it a few times and loved it. Keep doing what you’re doing.

88. Sarah

August 28th, 2010 at 4:35 am

I am sitting here simultaneously going back and forth from your CreativeLive stream to your blog and marveling at your amazing talent. You nail it. Every. Single. Time. KEEP KILLIN’ IT, JASMINE!

89. Ofir Abe

August 30th, 2010 at 9:58 am

i also got here from the creativelive broadcast, all the way from ISRAEL. love what you do, you do rock, hard! πŸ˜‰

i will follow you, your charm, your talent.

peace out,

90. Olga

September 3rd, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Jasmine, is there a place in photoshop to go and view the camera settings that were used in the photos taken? I know some programs like Picasa show the camera settings, but I can’t find it in CS4.

91. neil mackenzie

October 31st, 2010 at 9:02 am

havn’t digital cameras come along way in the last 6 years, 3200 iso and the images look stunning, try doing doing that on film!
    Wedding photography has been transformed, no shooting with 2 cameras, B&W & a camera loaded with colour

92. Thomas James, Wedding Photographer Bath

February 21st, 2011 at 9:13 am

First thought on image 1.

Is that a really big picture or really small dress?