Free To Succeed Tour : Houston

I departed the plane and was greeted by the most overwhelming pang of heat. Ever. I was literally swallowed in a bubble of hotness. Even after retrieving my luggage from the baggage claim, I couldn’t really bring myself to walk outside. I tried my best to hail a cab from inside the Houston airport, but was unsuccessful. Can’t Texas cabbies see through concrete walls?!

I arrived to the hotel and literally ran inside to avoid portions of my face melting off onto the hot concrete. Ruby red slippers or not, I was mellllllllting.

I met up with David Jay for lunch and we discussed what our lives were going to look like for the next few weeks—a little crazy, a mix of joy, and a lot of fun! Even though I could’ve spent the entire afternoon viewing Houston from the air-conditioned restaurant, I needed a nap like nobody’s business. I slept two hours last night, so my eyelids were raging war against my brain. Eyelids 1, Brain 0.

I woke in time for dinner and met the bus crew for some good TexMex…and, yes, the flour tortillas at Lupe Tortilla definitely lived up to the hype.

I’ll be blogging the trip everyday and adding pictures as things happen, so be sure to check back for updates. And in case anyone is wondering, I’ll be visiting the LuLuLemon store here in Houston…sorry, JD, when this cat’s away, she’s definitely gonna play…with the credit card! 😉

1. John Walker

July 29th, 2008 at 4:20 am

Welcome to Houston! I can’t wait for the tour tomorrow night, been excited about it since it was announced. If you want the REALLY GOOD Texmex it’s all on the east side of town 🙂

2. Crystal Goss

July 29th, 2008 at 4:46 am

Welcome to the HOT and HUMID South, girlfriend!! 🙂 Welcome!

I am so excited to see what you guys do over the upcoming weeks! So exciting!!! Enjoy yourself! Love you!!!!

3. Troy Schneider

July 29th, 2008 at 4:47 am

Welcome to Texas! I’m really looking forward to seeing you and DJ in Austin so don’t melt before then 🙂

4. Sarah Green

July 29th, 2008 at 5:08 am

Welcome to Texas! Houston is h-u-m-i-d! Hope you brought some ponytail holders! I look forward to reading your updates.

5. Joanna

July 29th, 2008 at 5:12 am

I’m so glad you made it, humidity and all-Houston is the best! Late notice but is there going to be any get togethers for lunch maybe before the show (I mean tour ) starts?

6. Jess P

July 29th, 2008 at 5:18 am

I was waiting to see how you would react to our year-round humidity! I was outside in the midday heat today, not as bad as usual. I guess you just get used to it when you’ve lived here your whole life 🙂

Good luck tomorrow. I wish I could be there! Please update as often as you can, girl!

7. Rachel LaCour Niesen

July 29th, 2008 at 5:26 am

Traveling mercies 🙂

8. Betsy, La Vida Creations

July 29th, 2008 at 6:38 am

Yeooowww! Can’t wait to see you again in San Diego with DJ in August! Have a great and safe tour trip! Cheers!

9. Tasha

July 29th, 2008 at 11:28 am

you think it is hot visiting?? try having to shoot sweaty children past their bedtime just to escape the heat.. LOL

hope you enjoy our crazy town!
    if you love tex mex.. you MUST eat at chuy’s on westheimer while you are here. it is DELISH!

10. Tammy Marcelain

July 29th, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Welcome to Texas ; ) Look forward to meeting you in Dallas!
    It wont be quite as humid there.

11. Tiffany

July 29th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Please come to the UTAH one!!! Are you?? Maybe??

12. Sarah Shalley

July 29th, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Yaaaay! You’re HERE. I can’t wait to see you and DJ today! I’ll even be there early to help setup. So so excited.

There are a ton of great restaurants in the area! My fave is Escalantes. Yum!

See you today! Sarah

13. Christopher

July 29th, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Don’t hit those spending limits too fast with the CC. Feels good now; but when the bills come in later……………………

14. Natarsha N. Wright

July 29th, 2008 at 1:39 pm

OMG! That is so exciting…I wish I was in the States to attend. Have a safe and wonderful road trip.

15. Tanya

July 29th, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Yay, you’re on your way! I wish you were going to be in Orlando. I can’t wait to see the posts from the tour!

16. kimberly jane

July 29th, 2008 at 2:14 pm

All the best to you and everyone in Houston! Soooo wish you were coming to Denver!!!!!

17. Dan

July 29th, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Hey Guys. Welcome to Houston. Can’t wait to see y’all tonight. I love Lupe Tortillas! I might have to have an early dinner there tonight before the show!

18. Katie K.

July 29th, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Jasmine! I love your blog (my best friend Rae Barnes in NY turned me onto it) and live in Houston. Welcome to…yes–scorching heat. 🙂 Enjoy the shopping and FOOD!!

19. Jamie

July 29th, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Yep, you’re here alright. Excited about meeting you!

20. Ashley Allen

July 29th, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Welcome to Houston! You get used to the heat. Just think of it as your own personal sauna!

See ya tonight! 🙂

21. Chris Aram

July 29th, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I’ve been a long time fan of your work (via your blog, don’t even remember how I came across it now) but this particular entry really caught my eye … so you’re visiting Houston?

If you like Tex-Mex be sure to visit a Papasito’s or Cafe Adobe … both boast awesome fajitas and frozen margaritas?

One of the best things about Houston are our restaurants! Once you get over the ugly landscape and oppressive heat 😛

22. Pat Sullivan

July 30th, 2008 at 2:16 am

LUPE’S RULES!!!!

23. Shelia

July 30th, 2008 at 4:56 am

Texas heat is a beeatach! I grew up there and it is nothing to reckon with!

24. Leah

July 30th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Hi Jasmine! Hey, can you tell me what time the Kansas City tour is from during the day/evening? I am hoping to purchase my ticket today, but need to know times! Help please! Thanks!

25. jackie wonders

July 30th, 2008 at 3:52 pm

i’ll be seeing you in san diego on monday! ….where it’s been PERFECT weather:)

26. Kelly Gibson

July 30th, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Ohhh! Lupe Tortillas! My parents live in Houston and I REALLY like to go here every time I come home. You’re right, the flour tortillas really do live up to the hype. Okay one more thing. For those of us "not in the know" can you help us out with what exactly it is you’re doing? I wandered over to your blog as I looked for wedding photographers. I liked your writing style and photos and added you to my reader but I have no idea what the tour’s about. I’d love to though. Kelly

27. Desiree Hayes

July 30th, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I’ve been to that Lupe’s too! My kids loved the sand play area! LOL Looks like fun! See you guys on the 4th in SD!

28. Ashley

July 30th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Go Jasmine! Flour tortillas AND LuLuLemon = Amazing.