Friday Randomness : The Luggage Thief

Personal

Flying home from Colorado last Tuesday, I saw an elderly man and his wife deplane with their rolling bags in front of me. They slowly made their way out of the plane’s front door and struggled up the angled ramp into the airport. I smiled at the gentleman and offered to help him with his roller bag.

But here’s where the story gets all weird and stuff. I offered my hand to assist him with his luggage and while I thought he nodded, he must not have. This is also the part of the story when JD insists I misinterpret social cues, but I ignore him because–clearly–he has no clue was he’s talking about. Until this part of the story…

Once I placed my hand on the elderly man’s luggage, he pulled it back and said, Don’t go and try to steal my bag!

And then I died.

That’s right, Internet, I look like the type of girl who STEALS LUGGAGE FROM OLD PEOPLE. Next thing you know, women will hide their children and men lock their car doors in my presence.

In light of this, I’m posting Friday Randomness centered around work…because I can’t scare people behind my computer screen.

Look at this truly heinous sweater…it’s so tacky…AND I LOVE IT! There’s a ton more tacky goodness at Beloved Shirts

Here’s my favorite photoshop tip of the week…

The next time I complain about carrying my camera gear, I’ll think of this guy from Nepal…

I think I was talking about photography but then…

And this just made my day.

Happy Friday!

comments

1. Randy

July 19th, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I’m thinking he didn’t care what you looked like.

Please think about it … An elderly man (with elderly sensibilities and reaction time) in the heat of an unfamiliar situation who just got off a plane …perhaps nervous… perhaps scared of flying… perhaps it was a long trip… who knows..) etc….

And "you died" not because you were embarrassed and wanted to quickly allay his concerns as you were indeed being thoughtful, but because he was somehow wrong for judging you, personally, not the actual event, at fault reacting as he did.

What can one say.

2. Ryan greenleaf

July 19th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

That is so ridic! Remind me not to help old people with their luggage. Or make sure their hearing aid can hear me when I ask.

BTW. I checked out that shirt site…I think I’m gonna get A burger shirt for myself and Tommy a Fries shirt. #ridic

3. Susan Beth

July 19th, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Will you move to beautiful Montana and be my friend (and my photography mentor of course, but you are already that through this blog)? I need someone just like you in my life – funny, beautiful, outgoing, and who reads social cues just like I do!

4. Whitney Lane

July 19th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Those are so great…i need to watch zoolander again

5. Michelle S Hanks

July 19th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Mu husband wants that sweater now. Thanks.

6. Ray Urner

July 19th, 2013 at 7:29 pm

So much LOL!

7. marissa

July 19th, 2013 at 8:17 pm

old man story… i would have DIED. instead i’m dying laughing!

8. Jude

July 19th, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Have you ever taken the myers briggs personality test? You’re such a mixture of spunk, humour and drive etc that I’m curious to know 🙂

9. Claudia Guy

July 19th, 2013 at 8:24 pm

So sorry you had to deal with this! My husband and I got stuck at a gas station once because our car battery died. We asked the man at the pump next to us if he could give us a jump start. He stood waaay back and asked my husband to try the car (to make sure we weren’t lying). After that, he wanted to check for himself. When it didn’t start for him either, he was still convinced something bad was going to happen because he asked Jason to stand far away and not help while he did the jump start. I just waited in the car. Once it was over Jason barely had time to say "thank you" because the man jumped back into his car and was gone! I guess he was just being cautious, but it was a fairly well-travelled gas station, and there was a man right inside at the counter, so I think it was just a little too much.

10. Rachel

July 19th, 2013 at 9:26 pm

HA!!! Zoolander. Classic.

11. Lauren

July 20th, 2013 at 12:54 am

Thank you for introducing me to Beloved! New obsession with amazingness 😉

12. Michelle

July 20th, 2013 at 4:45 am

Wow! I’m the first comment! Happy Aloha Friday!

13. Kate

July 21st, 2013 at 2:35 am

Omg, the last one? DIED. Was cracking up for at least 2 min.

14. Norms Skinner

July 21st, 2013 at 6:34 pm

It’s hard to imagine you starting on a life of crime! Surely you would have started on engagement rings long ago?!

15. staci

July 26th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

hide yo’ kids. hide yo’ wives. hide yo’ luggage!

16. Sam Allen

August 14th, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Oh now thank you for making me smile today!