Friday Randomness : Valentine’s Edition

Happy Friday, ya’ll! Wait…y’all? Or…ya’ll? SOMEBODY FROM TEXAS PLEASE CLARIFY THIS FOR ME! Speaking of the Lone State, I’m beyond thrilled to announce that The {Dallas} Fix is Sold Out! The support for The Fix has been unreal and I’m dying to meet ya’ll/y’all. In other news, I’m in the snowy state of Utah for the Alt Summit as I’m presenting on a panel today (ummm, hello, nerves!), but I thought it be perfect timing for a Random Friday post.

But today’s not so random. Ahem. These are great Valentine’s gift ideas for that perfect person in your life…

I want a luggage tag, but I have a proclivity to cheesy tags, but I found the best remedy…the Leather and Metal Luggage Tag with Custom Quote. This just screams cool. If I saw you at an airport with this tag, I’d think you were way cooler than me.

The double ring has been something I’ve wanted to sport for a few years (clearly, I’m not a trendsetter), but look at these Custom Double Banner Rings. Adorbs! If I saw you eating dinner with your boyfriend wearing this ring, I’d think you were way cooler than me.

Dear avid book lovers, I’ve found the prefect art piece for me you! Jane Mount does Bookshelf Paintings of your favorite reads. I want to cuddle with it. If I saw this painting in your house, I’d think you were cooler than me.

These shoes are absolutely ridiculous, but I want a pair just to wear when JD’s around. That’ll show him who’s boss! πŸ˜‰ These Sand Imprint Flip Flops are available on Etsy. And let’s be real, if you saw me at the beach, you’d probably think I was cooler than you.

Besides singing in the shower (Broadway show tunes are my thing, Internet), I love dreaming up new ideas while lathering. Most of them end up going down the drain, but with this Waterproof Notepad can be the end of that. Love it!

This iPhone Flip Clock made me swoon. I love the mixing of new technology and a nod to modern aestheticism. I only mentioned how much I liked it to JD eight billion times so here’s to hoping Cupid’s good to me this year.

To see more Valentine’s finds, cute DIY ideas, and tech talk, check out more from the ever fab Hello Brit…a blog I’m smitten with!

Happy Friday!

1. Sarah Syhakhoun

January 20th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I have great ideas in the shower EVERY day! I try my hardest to remember them, but sometimes they do go down the drain. That notepad is genius. G.E.N.I.U.S. !! Thanks for posting it!

2. Amanda Evans

January 20th, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Im not from TX but I think it is y’all (as in you all -Y’all) πŸ™‚

3. Mary-Jo

January 20th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Although I was born & raised in New York, both my mom & grandmother were from Tyler Texas. Without question it is ya’ll (I think, lol). My grandmother moved here in the 1940’s and NEVER lost that accent — she was so cute!! Good luck in Texas and congrats on the all the support for the The Fix.

I just discovered your blog via Google Analytics & cannot thank you enough for including us in the "Friday Randomness Valentine’s Edition". What great finds – I love everything!

Wishing you all the best.

MJ (MerCurios)

4. Molly W.

January 20th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I have only lived in Texas a year and a half (and will see you in Dallas!) but I think its ya’ll. Hope that helps.:)

5. Suz

January 20th, 2012 at 2:40 pm

It is y’all. πŸ™‚
    "I wasn’t born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could." (Mostly because y’all is so fun to say…)

6. Haley

January 20th, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Haha, your first few sentences gave me a good laugh this morning. It is y’all. I am so bummed Dallas is sold out already! (but also glad for you!)

7. Life with kaishon

January 20th, 2012 at 2:41 pm

: ) You will do great today. I just know it! Rock on Jasmine! If I saw you at the beach I would think you were cooler than me no matter what kind of flip flops you were wearing : )

8. Amanda from Austin, TX

January 20th, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Definitely y’all. At least that’s how I spell it. If you say it out loud, you don’t say ya-ll. You say y-all, right? That’s my logic. Love these Valentine’s gift ideas!

9. Jessica Vidmar Photography

January 20th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Don’t worry Jasmine…even if you don’t have all these things I still think you’re way cooler than me : )
    (And yes, at the risk of sounding self-depricating, I am in fact going for funny!)

10. Tara

January 20th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

love the luggage tags! And the shower notepad cracks me up!! But it could be used for some good old fashion love notes! How fun!

11. Catie Ronquillo

January 20th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

As a California girl turned Texas dweller, I used to be confused too. It’s y’all. As in you all. πŸ™‚ Tricky contractions. Although, my hubby does still make fun of the way I pronounce "y’all", he said it sounds unnatural coming from me. Haha. And can’t wait to see y’all in Dallas!

12. Rachel Tatem

January 20th, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Congrats about being sold out! I am really trying to go to The Fix but the closest one is 5 hours away… so let’s hope I can work it out.

13. Crystal

January 20th, 2012 at 3:16 pm

It is Y’all. πŸ˜€ Can’t believe I missed out on your conference – it sold out so fast! I hope you are planning to come back to Dallas again soon!

14. LEOLAK

January 20th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hilarious!! I think it’s ya’ll (I’m not from Texas but my momma from Alabama)! We’re getting snow in Chicago today so it may be a toss up on who’s cooler w/ regards to the snow – LOL! Very cool gift ideas…hope JD is reading/listening! =) Happy Friday!!! Safe travels!

15. Luke Neumayr

January 20th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I believe that the proper punctuation is "y’all" since it is a combo of "you" and "all", at least that is how we spell it in Houston. Ha!

16. Kelly J

January 20th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I’m loving this post. The waterproof notepad is just genius, I’m forever getting ideas in the shower. Now I just need a notepad that can store my ideas in my sleep and I’ll be all set :p x

17. Anna from Texas

January 20th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

It’s y’all. πŸ™‚

18. Ashley Terry

January 20th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Straight from a Texas girl, it’s y’all (short for you all, since we don’t like to waste time with two words apparently). Can’t wait to see you in Dallas!

19. briana Moore

January 20th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I’ve been drooling over those custom book paintings for quite some time, but I forgot to follow up! Thanks for the reminder. πŸ™‚

20. Sarah B

January 20th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Loving the flip clock!!! πŸ™‚

21. Whitney Owen Nixon

January 20th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Y’all….Have fun!!!!

22. chriselda

January 20th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

you. all.

bob’s your uncle

23. Suzy G

January 20th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Girl, it is Y’all but we hate being proper in terms of speaking so most of us use ya’ll. lol
    Have fun on the panel, you will nail it. Promise.

24. Ginger

January 20th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

It’s y’all. The apostrophe replaces the missing letters and y’all is a contraction for you all. (I’m from Louisiana!)

25. Jasmine*

January 20th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Ya’ll/Y’all are no help…we’re at a 50/50 split, people!!! πŸ˜‰

26. Lauryn

January 20th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

It’s y’all! You all. Which puts the apostrophe after the Y. Oh boy…Im such a nerd.

27. Kate

January 20th, 2012 at 4:27 pm

This post made me laugh so much with the "I would think you are WAY cooler than me!" Happy Friday!

28. Johnny

January 20th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Leather & Metal Luggage Tag. Pretty cool stuff.

29. Mary-Jo

January 20th, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I racked my brain and it is DEFINITELY without question "y’all" as it’s an abbreviation of "you all", as in "y’all come back now, ya hear" (lol). I was too quick to respond initially and so I stand corrected. xo, MJ

30. Amy Long

January 20th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Its definitely y’all. The reason I know this is because when I put it a text to someone, autospell automatically puts the apostrophe after the y. iPhone knows everything right πŸ˜‰

31. Linsey

January 20th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

What a fun post!!! That clock is awesome!! Why is it that all ideas come in the shower, driving or while running…it’s never convenient. This notepad is cute, nerdy and perfect!!!

32. Alison

January 20th, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Sad to admit, but I have been looking for something like Aquanotes for ever! The only peace & quiet of my day is my morning show and that is when I think of everything. Off to order some. Yeah, really!

33. Odalys Mendez

January 20th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

These are WAY cool, Jasmine. I don’t know about the double rings though, I think I would get finger-claustrophobia. LOL

34. Brittney

January 20th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I say y’all… it’s "you all" so why would you say ya’ll ? ya all? anyways… I’m kind of depressed that I missed out on tickets to Dallas. BUMMED OUT!

35. AngelaHomic

January 20th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Ok… those flip flops… I’m searching for a pair NOW!

36. Brittney

January 20th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

It is y’all. Born and raised in Texas! πŸ™‚ Congrats! But I must say I’m disappointed, I was going to order my ticket today :/

37. LEOLAK

January 20th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Alright Jasmine..I thnk it’s y’all as the others have said (I did a quick Google search -and now my head hurts). Go with Y’all! I think the ya’ll happens because of how it may sound coming out …oy vey my head! LOL (thatnks for the laughs today!)

38. Kristi Chappell

January 20th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Jasmine, here in Alabama it’s ya’ll! See you in Georgia, already have my ticket!

39. April

January 20th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

It’s totally y’all. The apostrophe takes the place of the letters you leave out…like don’t (do not) or isn’t (is not). I’m a nerd…whatevs πŸ™‚
    LOVE the metal luggage tag…buying one asap!

40. Karen

January 20th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Okay, I love those flip flops, haha.

41. Hannah

January 20th, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I can’t believe I’m going to miss you coming to Dallas!! I hope you come again!!!! I think it’s "y’all" because that is how my iphone autocorrects it πŸ™‚

42. Lindsey Watson

January 20th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

You All = y’all

43. malorie

January 20th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

those flip flops would be cool with a twitter name

44. Jennifer S.

January 20th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’ve never seen the double ring – not sure i would like the feeling of that on my hand. Interesting idea though

45. {natalie bray photo}

January 20th, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Jasmine…you are too fun! I love all these ideas and the flip flops are ridiculous…ridiculously awesome :).
    Good luck on your presentation, you will be fantastic!

46. Andrea Paris

January 20th, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Grammatically speaking, not Texan speaking, it should be y’all. Apostrophes are used in place of letter that are dropped (e.g. ‘ in isn’t is for missing "o"). The ‘ in y’all would be for the missing "ou". Just sayin’.

January 20th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Yep, it’s "y’all." I used to say it a lot, but somehow it dropped out of my vocabulary a few years back. Maybe from writing too many college papers? Loving that clock!

48. Stephanie Stewart

January 20th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I could totally use that waterproof notepad!!!

49. chriselda

January 20th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

when i type in "yall" on the iphone…
    it autocorrects to "y’all"

and … if iphone says it’s y’all…
    then that’s doctrine right??

50. emily

January 20th, 2012 at 8:25 pm

It’s ‘y’all’, but I usually find myself mistyping it ‘ya’ll’. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT SAY "ALL Y’ALL"…"All of you all"? Come on. It’s just plain ridiculous, not to mention redundant. I’m so looking forward to the conference in Dallas and meeting you!

51. Elizabeth C.

January 20th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

It’s y’all– the apostrophe replaces the missing letters from the word "you."

52. Autumn Lee

January 20th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

LOL It’s Y’all! Lived in texas my whole life!! Love your random posts Jasmine!! Good luck at your panel!

53. Jennifer Hudspeth

January 20th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Ok, apparently everyone wants to get technical. Here in the mountains of NC this is how we distinguish the two.

Y’all = singular
    Ya’ll = plural

I may not be from Texas, but southern grammar could be part of my expertise.

54. Kim

January 20th, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I didn’t know you were a broadway fan. I adore you even more now. We would get along great.

55. Jeni Brower

January 21st, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I think this is the funnest comment section I’ve read. Y’all are making me miss TX. When I moved East, I noticed "real quick" that people would make fun when I was "fixin to go git some somethin. It’s a whole other language. LOVE to hear fellow native Texans. πŸ™‚ — I’ve gotta get one of those shower notepads!! That’s where all my crazy ideas come to me.

56. Di Holmes

January 21st, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Just taken a break from reading to look at your blog Jasmine. Most of the posts are commenting on whether it’s Y’all or ya’ll. I wasn’t going to do that, being English it’s not something we say but I’ve just read the very word in my book and it’s Y’all, according to Kathryn Stockett. I’m reading ‘The Help’ and I can’t recommend it enough. The film is out but I don’t want to know who the actors are as I like my own vision of what the characters look like.
    Have a great weekend Y’all.

57. Naida Alvarado

January 21st, 2012 at 3:20 pm

These are such cutesy valentine’s gift. I so love the waterproof notepad. I am looking forward to the summit in Chicago, hope I can go. My friend and I are hoping for a financial break through so that we can purchase our tickets. GB

58. Meredith Sledge

January 21st, 2012 at 5:55 pm

My favorite is the iPhone alarm thing. That’s the bestttt. I want it!

59. Shannon G.

January 22nd, 2012 at 2:52 am

The proper use of the term is Y’all. It’s a contraction for the term β€œyou all”. According to the Aggie English Diktionery, the entomology is believed to be a regional adaptation of the northern-eastern phrase β€œyous guys.” In normal usage the phrase β€œHey y’all” means β€œPlease pay attention, I have something important to say” but was shorted because the former was much too difficult to say while clinging to a bucking bronc.

(Yes I made that whole thing up.)

Love the blog and hope you have a great time in Texas next month!

Greetings from San Antonio,

60. Lisa

January 22nd, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I adore the imprinted follow me flip flops, they’re so cute!

61. Evan & Melissa Roth

January 23rd, 2012 at 12:34 am

This is really great!

62. Kelsey

January 23rd, 2012 at 5:08 am

We say both: ya’ll and y’all.

I personally prefer y’all because I’m saying "you all." Others prefer ya’ll because they are saying "ya all"… so it just depends how grammatically correct ya feel like bein’! (;

63. Robert Peterson

January 23rd, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Love some Aqua Notes. Always do my best thinking in the shower, and got these two years ago for my birthday.

64. Aisha Mujib Khan

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Girl, you have the best finds! That ring is amazing!

65. Hannes Uys

January 25th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Love the flip flops.

66. Warszawa

January 25th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Girl, you have the best finds! That ring is amazing

67. Bryan

January 26th, 2012 at 11:41 pm

some cool stuff, love the iPhone alarm clock and the follow me sandles

68. Somerset Wedding Photographer

February 1st, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Haha – those sandals are genius! Good find.