Great Set of Knockers

So often, I find myself trying to balance my personal and professional life. There are times when I feel like it’s a double-headed dragon pulling in two different directions, but then I take a step back and soak up life’s simplest pleasures. In the oddest of ways, the beast of a dragon morphs into two butterflies, each floating in their own direction.

While in Mexico last week, my dad asked me to bring along my camera. While I always have my camera, I’m ashamed to admit I hardly take pictures for myself. You know, just for the sake of picture taking. Embarrassingly, I’m often too tired to shoot for creativity’s sake. Yes, this is my dragon. However, while on our way to Juarez Park in San Miguel de Allende, we walked along rustic streets and I noticed an abundance of beautiful doors and knockers. All of a sudden, my dad and I were pointing and shouting across the street, Hey, look at THIS one!

For the first time in what felt like forever, I was taking photographs of things that I wanted to document. I have a strange affinity for doors and knockers, so I spent the afternoon in glorious bliss snapping away. I hope to create a collection of photographs of knockers from around the world. By doing so, I believe the two butterflies will ensure to not cross often mangled paths.

In other news, I’m SO happy to announce that Jess from Studio3Z was my 9,000th Commentor!! Holllla! As a small token of appreciation for all you who leave comments, Jess will receive a $20 iTunes Gift Card. Thank you SO MUCH for making my day by your feedback and support! Xoxo…

Staying true to my Google Images fascination, this is what popped up when I typed in 9,000…love it! 😉

1. sara

May 14th, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I love it…what a fantastic idea. hmmmm, what (besides my children) do I really want to document? Thanks for getting me thinking!!!

2. kerri mcconnell

May 14th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

i love photographing colorful doors… such beauty is something so simple. thanks for sharing.

3. David [C+D]

May 14th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

THOSE ARE SOME AWESOME KNOCKERS! Seriously, when I saw that on my RSS reader, I nearly spit soda all over my screen.

Thanks for another great read. AND PLEASE! Don’t forget to be creative!!

4. David [C+D]

May 14th, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Oh and one more thing… love the 9000 picture of Vegeta from DragonBall Z. …I feel like such a nerd for knowing that. I even remember the scene!!

5. [ b ] e c k e r

May 14th, 2008 at 9:20 pm

damn, i was hoping this post was about something else.

6. Jodi Friedman

May 14th, 2008 at 9:24 pm

That is the best title!!

7. Jane Lok

May 14th, 2008 at 9:24 pm

The title of this post prevented me from truly enjoying the photos. 😉 I’m loving the DragonBall Z 9000 picture.

8. ~abi~

May 14th, 2008 at 9:25 pm

LUV the title! and the photos are stunning, of course! {and i’m excited that i’m commenting right above [b]ecker!!! ;)}

9. Sarah

May 14th, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Gorgeous! I have a thing for doors and windows as well and these are just fantastic… thanks for sharing your gift. cheers.

10. Wayne Toshikazu

May 14th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Hey- false advertising. I want my money back! I guess these knockers will have to suffice. 🙂 Love the colors!

11. Tara

May 14th, 2008 at 9:56 pm

I totally relate! I need to do more little projects like this one. Greattt colors and DOF. My family’s from India and I’ve seen the same thing there – so much color and variety from house to house!

12. drago

May 14th, 2008 at 10:33 pm

jasmine, those are amazing knockers!

13. Jenne Yun

May 14th, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Great knockers! I love the collage and the rich colours… and yeah, the title had me interested in what was going to be posted! Much love!

14. Tira J

May 14th, 2008 at 11:01 pm

At first, when my RSS feed gave me your latest title, I was nervous, then I thought to myself, Jasmine would NEVER! ha ha! These are great photographs and I am so glad you enjoyed the trip with your dad.

15. Josh McCullock

May 14th, 2008 at 11:12 pm

well that certainly got my attention! haha
    I love your blog! thats all : )

16. kymberli q.

May 14th, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Ha! Just for kicks I decided to google "great set of knockers" to see if your post was going to disappoint some horny teenager. Fortunately for him, you’re 8th on the list so he should have some fun before you spoil it. 😉 Great shots, Jasmine!

17. cassandra m

May 14th, 2008 at 11:20 pm

i saw [b]ecker’s post here and laughed my butt off…he is sooo funny! Those "knockers" were really beautiful. I actually have a Yorkie (for my puppy) knocker on my front door. That sounds cheesy, but it is brass and is actually really cool looking.

18. Melissa McClure

May 14th, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Oh good you saw the lizard one! Thats my fav in town 🙂 You have to pass by it to get the jardin from my parents home. My mom had to point it out each time we passed!

19. david & kimi b ~ ohana photography

May 14th, 2008 at 11:34 pm

"that’s what he said"

May 14th, 2008 at 11:37 pm

i like david c+d’s first comment! and that lizard knocker is stinkin’ cool.

21. Katherine Bowman

May 14th, 2008 at 11:46 pm

I’m glad you took some time to take some pictures for yourself! It’s important to do that!

22. Rachel Dallaire

May 14th, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Love these! So awesome. While in Disney World I took pictures of all of the light fixtures/lanterns/etc. My husband though I was crazy, but it’s so fun to find something and seen how many different and beautiful variations are out there.

23. Cathy Crawley

May 15th, 2008 at 12:40 am

"Great set of Knockers" hmm, I’ve heard that somewhere before. I wonder where? At the hardware store maybe? Nuh, wasn’t there. 😉 My bad.

24. melissa pearce

May 15th, 2008 at 12:44 am

I LOVE the knockers. l.o.v.e. Was San Miguel very expensive to visit since it was so full of americanos?

25. melissa pearce

May 15th, 2008 at 12:45 am

by the way i love the new blog!!! so classy.

26. Mallory

May 15th, 2008 at 1:21 am

I LOVE this! I also have a fascination of knockers and door handles…you really hit the gold mine in San Miguel!

27. jess@studio3z

May 15th, 2008 at 1:30 am

Yipee!! 9,000th was me!!! 🙂 How funny. I just sitting here reading along about your knockers, (ahem.) and the I see "in other news jess of studio3z." Strange…. Thanks girl!! LoVe the knockers idea!!

28. Matthew Saville

May 15th, 2008 at 1:36 am

Dragon Ball Z!!! Time to turn on some Thrice… How random…

I think the tic-tac-toe with the lizzard one is brilliant. That way you won’t feel bad about taking forever to answer the door! 😛

29. Matthew Saville

May 15th, 2008 at 1:38 am

And, shame on you for not shooting personally! I don’t know what I would do without my nature / landscape photography. Photography should be a hobby foremost, and a job second… 🙂 =Matt=

30. Alicia Brown

May 15th, 2008 at 1:56 am

It’s so nice to know that I’m not the only photographer in that "shooting for yourself" boat. What’s worse is when you don’t bring a camera at all! Oh the horror!

31. jeanette sanchez

May 15th, 2008 at 2:57 am

The lizard knocker is my favorite. Good eye Jasmine!

32. Amy Martin

May 15th, 2008 at 3:09 am

I like your knockers. 😉

33. haley lamb

May 15th, 2008 at 3:13 am

i *love* this collection…please sell it to me in a big 20×24! okay, thanks 🙂

34. Airika Pope

May 15th, 2008 at 3:54 am

I love door knockers too! That first one is a little creepy–I like the fish on the blue door!

35. kristin

May 15th, 2008 at 5:18 am

I love doors, too! But my weird little obsession is chairs. My whole AP art portfolio back in high school was chairs chairs chairs! Simple pleasures.

36. Catlin Humes

May 15th, 2008 at 5:20 am

Those door knockers where so cool, plus I love the way you played with the words for the title of your post, that sort of stuff makes me laugh.

37. Kellie

May 15th, 2008 at 10:18 am

Hi Jasmine, long time reader, first time commenter! but i just had to echo your love for doors! I’ve kicked myself many times for not having camera in hand when walking or driving past great doors in the many countries i’ve visited… thats all… have a great thursday meanwhile i’ll be rolling into Friday… (im down under) 🙂

38. Sandra

May 15th, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Jamine, Thank you s much for your honesty. It is so nice to know that I’m not the only photographer who seldom shoots just for the joy of it. I’m SOOO relieve to know I’m not the only one with the dragon! Love your blog & work to bits! All the best, Sandra

39. New York City Wedding Photographer

May 15th, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Those knockers look great! 9000 comments….holla!

Parris Whittingham

40. Allebach Photography (Mike)

May 15th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Best Title for a post ever! [Award goes here]

No seriously. I love the series of photos.

41. Lindsay Kipp Photography

May 15th, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Those knockers are beautiful! I too have a thing for doors and also windows… the older and more rusty & paint chipped the better! Have a wonderful day!

42. Photography By Shay

May 15th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I gotta be honest and say your title totally got me… when I read "knockers" I… uh… thought you were blogging about women’s anatomy and wondered what that had to do w/ wedding photography. LOL *getting mind out of gutter now*

43. Lindsey Marie

May 15th, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Love it!

44. inga

May 15th, 2008 at 4:20 pm

The doors and door knockers are beautiful! I LOVE how you captured each image!

And I really feel that you should start taking more photos for yourself aside from the professional ones. I’d love to see them!! 🙂

45. Tiffany

May 15th, 2008 at 4:57 pm

gorgeous knockers! 😉 what a coincidence…I love unique doors, knobs, and knockers too! it’s cool to see them actually photographed. the doors and colors were beautiful. Glad you took some pics for you!

46. Angela

May 15th, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Jamine, GREAT new Blog. I Love your Dragon story and really enjoy reading, and viewing all your postings and pic’s. My Fav’s are the ones about your beautiful Mama. I lost my Mother about 8 years ago and miss her so much. When I read the way you talk about your mother, it’s like you are taking the words right from me. Keep doing what you do LoVe pic’s from Mexico.

47. Ashley

May 15th, 2008 at 5:32 pm

I think the post title is funny and I love the pics. Those are some great knockers!

48. Alicia

May 15th, 2008 at 5:48 pm

So what happens when I want to re-plan my wedding and have it take place in San Miguel de Allende? Great knockers!

49. gabriel.ryan.

May 15th, 2008 at 5:53 pm

i’m wondering if the title to this post will boost your google ranking like a million times… too funny. but seriously… awesome knockers.

50. Jacob Poehls

May 15th, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Nice work…I’ve noticed that when I’m in a creative funk, traveling to new areas always manages to re-inspire me!

51. Korey

May 15th, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Wow, I remember when you hit the 1,000 comments mark! Should I get a life? Nah…yours is fun! 🙂

52. Shandon Smith

May 16th, 2008 at 2:21 am

When you figure out how to balance things, let me know! I’m struggling with the same dragon… although it feels like there are more than two heads a lot of the time!

53. Ginger

May 16th, 2008 at 3:40 am

Those are some beautiful knockers! haha:-D For real though, I love the variety and uniqueness to them all. Great eye. I like fences, for some reason. That’s my thing.

May 16th, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Hi Jasmine! Love the new layout. I’ve visited and learned new things each time. This was much needed. I spent time working on my website last week it & took me out of my shooting element. Now I’M BACK! Nice knockers.

55. Furious Photographers

May 18th, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Haha I love the picture from Dragon Ball Z for 9000!

56. Roy Llera

May 19th, 2008 at 1:18 am

I felt like I was in Cuba…I have been collecting knockers like these for over 11 years from Cuba…actually in Antigua Gautemala too…Madrid…ok there in some pretty neat places…great images…glad to see you close to Dad…good looking Blog too! 🙂

57. charla BLUE

May 19th, 2008 at 1:56 am

Too funny! Check out my link to my version taken in Europe in March. I’ve always been drawn to cool doors in vibrant colors! Love your new blog. Keep doin’ what you’re doin’!

September 3rd, 2008 at 3:29 am

While mine aren’t as cool, I too made a collage of the doorknockers from a trip. They are all from Elfreth Alley, the oldest occupied street in America!