Happy Valentine’s Day

I love Valentine’s Day. And not for the obvious reasons of sugar consumption and kisses. I love what the day represents and how it makes me feel. I totally understand it’s a commercialized holiday and relegates most guys to buy last minute boxes of chocolate and teddy bears, but I love LOVE, so any reason to celebrate it fine by me. I’m not into red and pink presents or anything over the top for that matter. But I do love thoughtfulness. JD’s been giving me a gift-a-day leading to today and so far I’ve acquired new additions to my chick flick library (who doesn’t love The Holiday?!), a home-cooked dinner, the latest copy of US Weekly (don’t hate), and mole hills of my favorite candy. While quite simple, it’s simply perfect.

This morning–after a brisk morning jog with JD and Polo–I was determined to make heart-shaped pancakes. You know, since I’m so domesticated and all. Most of them looked like UFOs, but I did manage a decent heart for JD’s surprise breakfast.

I hope you have a fabulous Valentine’s Day and you surround yourself with love!

1. chatti

February 14th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

jasmine love, i can’t even make regular pancakes so i’m calling you an expert on this one. i hope you have a great v-day with jd and polo. =)

2. Linda Morgan

February 14th, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Jasmine, You have showered so much love and encouragement to all of us in the photography world. Happy Valentine’s Day to you and thanks for sharing the love.

3. Christa

February 14th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

You’re so sweet, and The Holiday ROCKS…actually why haven’t I added that one to my collection?

4. Sharon

February 14th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Happy Valentines Day!

5. Luis Vargas

February 14th, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Hola Jasmine paso por tu blog para saludarte y tambien desearte un feliz día de San Valentin, tambien aprovecho para decirte que soy un gran admirador de tu trabajo yo tambien soy fotografo claro voy empezando pero lo soy jeje, me encanta la forma como tomas tus fotografías, captas las sonrisas de los ojos de todos tus clientes esta padrisimo eso te felicito por tu trabajo sigue así y se aun mejor y bueno era todo espero poder seguir escribiendote cuidate pasala bien bye…

6. britney hale

February 14th, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Happy Love Day to you! UFOs, hearts, it all tastes the same– and isnt that what really matters?

7. Malia

February 14th, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Jasmine you are my idol! I have been reading your blog for a while but never commented. I’m always telling my husband how I love your blog and your work and your spunky fun personality and he always says, well have you told her that? So i’m telling you now! Beautiful heart pancake! And you’re photography and stories inspire me. I am trying to become a photographer as well and always look to you for advice, inspiration and some good laughs! Thank you! And Happy Valentine’s Day!

8. rachel darley

February 14th, 2009 at 8:13 pm

oooooh..you guys TOTALLY spoil each other. He spoils you even more so if he watches "the holiday" with you! I can’t even get my husby to watch Pride and Prejudice with me!!!!! and not to diss your pancakes or anything, but it looks like a butt to me. hahaha.

9. jenberry

February 14th, 2009 at 8:27 pm

looking pretty god to me. i’d eat them for sure

10. Jenny Sun

February 14th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

awwww…. you two just melt my heart, and make the closet romantic in me blow sweet wishes in the wind 🙂 My husband and I’s anniversary is like a week after valentines day, so we lump valentines day + anniversary into one. Yeah, we’re one of those unfortunate few who suffer the lumped-versaries syndrome (like christmas + bdays! :p). JD should teach my husband a lesson or two in the romance department, me thinks! :p PS – your pancakes do NOT look like UFOs. Unless I’m blind! 🙂

11. Heather Sharpe

February 14th, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I have been a huge fan of your work for a while now … this photo is darling!! Happy Valentine’s Day, Jasmine 🙂 … we’d love to showcase your talent on our LA blog, The Lounge!!

12. Nelly Chung

February 14th, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Yummy Pancakes! Looks delicious! Heading over to Flemmings Steakhouse for dinner. 😀 Happy Valentine’s!

13. Feuza

February 14th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

What a cute idea! I love these kind of gifts…

14. Crystal

February 14th, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Happy Valentine’s you two! Love you much!

15. ally michele

February 14th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

you did a great job! 🙂 Happy lovin day!

16. Amy Starks

February 14th, 2009 at 11:18 pm

US Weekly? The Holiday? Candy?! You are speaking my language. 🙂

17. Christopher Bloor

February 14th, 2009 at 11:18 pm

It is the thought that counts right? 🙂

18. Julie

February 14th, 2009 at 11:20 pm

your husband sounds like a keeper! one year my husband said we were going to celebrate "Jewel-y" & during the month of July i received a loose gemstone every day! a thoughtful husband can not be overrated!!

19. erica Velasco

February 14th, 2009 at 11:51 pm

How cute…I want one…mmm pancakes.

20. Katelyn

February 15th, 2009 at 12:30 am

sooo.. by accident a few weeks ago i figured out how to get perfectly golden pancakes without the dark spots. (mine always looked like lepoards) ditch the non-stick spray and use a non-stick pan on the perfect temp (where water drops dance across the surface before evaporating) i made heart shaped pancakes today as well.. but i cheated and used a heart-form

21. Becka Knight (Studio222 Photography)

February 15th, 2009 at 2:35 am

That’s a pretty good heart. Ive read that you can use heart shaped cookie cutters too. 🙂

22. Erin Fults

February 15th, 2009 at 3:14 am

love it! I tried to make heart shaped cinnamon rolls and they definitely looked like UFOs. no success on that one for me. 🙂

23. linda

February 15th, 2009 at 4:53 am

out of all the possible times when i could have commented, i am choosing to comment on this one–merely to say that the top of your heart pancake looks like a bum-crack. i am not hating at all. it just made me laugh at first glance. i know your personality can handle it. if not, i will submit myself to making heart-shaped pancakes all morning to gain an appreciation of the work you put in. holla!

24. linda

February 15th, 2009 at 4:54 am

my hubby couldn’t believe i made the previous comment. sorry. 🙁

25. Amy Clifton

February 15th, 2009 at 5:58 am

Awww! Y’all are too cute.

February 15th, 2009 at 7:33 am

That is one amazing pancake presentation! I’m a pink, red, and hearts kind of girl, so I’m loving this day!

27. Holli True

February 15th, 2009 at 8:01 am

I love Valentines Day, too! My husband proposed to me on this day 10 yrs ago- so it’s a personal favorite of mine!! 🙂 Jasmine, you have some mad pancake skills- I’m sure JD loved it! Happy Heart Day!!

28. missphom

February 15th, 2009 at 11:47 am

i LOVE love day too!

AWESOME pancakes you have there – looks like a heart and butt cheeks, at the same time! it’s got to be love!

29. Gina Meola

February 15th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Umm… I’m starving. Thanks.

30. Karen (Mikols) Bonar

February 15th, 2009 at 8:39 pm

How cute is that pancake?!!??!??!?

31. Bobbie Brown

February 16th, 2009 at 12:13 am

Awwww, JD is so sweet! Those are def. the best kind of gifts… And I LOVE your pancake! It is so cute! I bet it tasted delish too!

32. Kasey

February 16th, 2009 at 1:41 am

That looks delicious!

33. jesi haack

February 16th, 2009 at 2:17 am

wow, good job! my hubby made me the same thing! I was so impressed…

34. kate

February 16th, 2009 at 4:47 am

mm, I want one! happy belated v-day!

35. Events by Evonne

February 16th, 2009 at 9:35 am

Your pancake looked great, Jas!

36. ashley bugg

February 16th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

love this. everything about it.

37. Carolyn

February 16th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

This is a gorgeous photo. My mouth is watering. Yum!

I make heart-shaped pancakes too, but I use a heart-shaped pancake mold. It’s like a cookie-cutter, only it has a handle on it that sticks straight up from the pan so you can lift it off the pancake when it’s time to flip. Someone gave it to me ten years ago for my bridal shower and I still use it today. You should get one and save yourself all the comments that your heart-shaped pancake looks like it has a bum crack. LOL.

Thanks, as always, for the amazing photographic inspiration!

38. allie

February 16th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

this is hilareously cute.

39. marti

February 17th, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I’ve so done the same thing! I even tried the fancy molds with no luck. Then a friend was like, duh.. just make a pancake (make a pancake, make, make a pancake….) and then cut out the shape with a cookie cutter when it’s cooked. Works like a charm! Plus, cookie cutters are cheap and you could make whatever shape you want. Even a polo if you desire! 😉

40. Fatima