Heather and Weber : Engagement

It took just one look to make him look again. Weber did a double-take when he saw Heather for the first time. In the halls of hospital, their eyes met and Heather laughed from the attention. He was a doctor making his rounds, and she was a speech therapist visiting a patient. So he walked, and she talked.

Heather and Weber immediately warmed to each other and instantaneously became friends. The first night they went out, Heather asked Weber to join her at a local sports bar to watch a big game. Then he liked her a whole lot more. Heather was kind, funny, AND liked sports just as much as he did. She was perfect.

Months later, as Heather and Weber packed for a trip to Hawaii, he tucked a diamond ring into his pocket. As they spent their afternoons on the beach and enjoyed island life, Weber wanted to find the perfect place to propose so he kept the ring in his pocket at all times. On long hike down a steep mountain, Heather and Weber reached their destination: A gorgeous waterfall. With mist dancing around their faces and Weber knew it was the spot. As water pounded against the black, Hawaiian rocks, he got on one knee and asked Heather to spend the rest of her life with him. Double-takes and all.

I’m so excited to be shooting Heather and Weber’s wedding this January as I know it’s going to be so much fun! I had a blast shooting their engagement session in Santa Monica and I can’t wait to photograph such an awesome couple in a few months for their wedding!

Heather booked me over the phone, so we met for the first time photographing her engagement session…and I was so happy to see how fabulous she was! Heather came to the shoot confident, fun, and ready to have a good time, which makes me just stand back, relax, and shoot. Loved it!

As a photographer, I try to stay away from locations I’ve shot at before. Each couple is unique, so why would I use the same spots I’ve shot in before? Weber made mention he was surprised there was so many places to be photographed along the Santa Monica Pier, without actually being on the pier. This made me feel good. It’s my clients job to choose the location they feel wonderful at, but my job to take their ideas to another level…and I sincerely hope their love is reflected in the myriad of locations we chose! πŸ™‚

Off to the Santa Monica Pier…

Workin’ the bling…

By the time we made it to the beach, the sun was setting so fast…it was getting dark as I shot this picture, but it’s my favorite from the session…it’s just so indicative of their love: Warm, genuine, and sincere.

To see more of their engagement session, CLICK HERE for a slideshow!

1. Lindsay

October 22nd, 2008 at 2:33 pm

I love it! I have noticed that you don’t use the same location, I think that is really cool. Great shoot!

2. Emil Mason

October 22nd, 2008 at 2:52 pm

What a cool shoot! Looks like your couple had a lot of personality!

3. Tracy

October 22nd, 2008 at 3:07 pm

These are gorgeous!! So clear, sharp, pretty and unique.

4. jacqueline fronters

October 22nd, 2008 at 3:07 pm

The beach and pier pictures left me wanting more. How I wish I lived near the ocean so I could try to take pictures like yours! Lucky couple.

5. john waire

October 22nd, 2008 at 3:24 pm

awesome shots. what’s your "go to" lens on a shoot like this?

6. Tira J

October 22nd, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Love them all. I appreciate that you mentioned you photograph all of your clients at different locations. Makes them feel unique! Great images as always! p.s. went to the grocery store last night and I just couldn’t resist those reduced fat Cheeze-Its. I laughed out loud when I went down the aisle.

7. Geanette

October 22nd, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Uber Fabulous! I appreciate the different angles you shoot at! Great job!

8. Camille Elise

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:07 pm

I think the first and the last are my absolute favorites. What a glowing bride she’ll make! These shots have such a wonderful tangible candidness (is that a word?), great shoot!!

9. Natarasha N. Wright

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:07 pm

The last pic is my fav! They are such a sweet couple.

10. Andrea

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:13 pm

I just came across your blog and am BLOWN away. Your work is utterly fantastic. Wow.

I’m just getting my feet wet in photography and can only dream of getting to the level you are. I’ll be sure to visit back often for inspiration!

11. Catie R

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Love it! Their story and their photos. I know they’ll have a rockin wedding!:) Can’t wait to see it! Love the last photo too.

12. Jackie L.

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Beautiful color as always! I love the bling one!

13. Jane

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I love that the guy has also has fabulous shoes this time around. Her dress and scarf are adorable! I can’t tell that it’s getting dark at all in any of these pictures. But I guess that’s why you’re the superstar.

14. Lucia

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:33 pm

AAhh what a sweet engagement story. Im excited for the wedding too.
    I love the the lighting on the 3rd one. I also really like the last one.

15. Joan Solitario

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:36 pm

I don’t know how you do it.. but even though you’ve taken other shots in Santa Monica… you make each photoshoot unique and different! That’s something I need to work on! AWESOME!

16. Amber Paterson

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Beautiful as always! I do have a question I was hoping you could help with. I find sometimes it’s hard to get a couple to relax and just enjoy the shoot. Each of your couples always seems so relaxed and joyful. Can you give any insight into how you help create that mood?

17. jeramy

October 22nd, 2008 at 4:52 pm

great job.

18. Leah Robinson

October 22nd, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Love them!!!! The 8th picture is my FAV!!! I love how your photography captures that "in the moment" feeling…..like the camera is not even there! BEAUTIFUL work!!!

19. Kelly | Purple Lemon Designs

October 22nd, 2008 at 5:20 pm

You never fail to inspire, J*! Gorgeous as always!

20. DrewB

October 22nd, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Super cute! Love her dress and her sassy attitude! She knows how to work it!

21. Christina

October 22nd, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Wow…wow…WOW! I want to follow you around for a day and see how you talk to your models…I mean-clients…to get their poses and facial expressions so fabulous! I love these!

22. lin

October 22nd, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Love the light! So soft and so beautiful! The last photo is indeed beautiful. Great job!

23. Rachel

October 22nd, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Great session Jasmine! I feel like I could post on each and everyone of your blog posts!!! I am just wondering what lens you use the most in this session…nice DOF, so soft! Is it the 50mm 1.2?

You ROCK!

24. Yuka photo art

October 22nd, 2008 at 6:18 pm

O, so beautiful story! Great place and amazing photos!

25. Korey

October 22nd, 2008 at 6:27 pm

This girl can ACCESSORIZE! She is workin’ it and I.Love.It! The colors work so well, and the backlighting on the first one on the pier is magical…

26. Bethany Murphy

October 22nd, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Breathtaking and stunning as always πŸ™‚

27. Nena

October 22nd, 2008 at 7:05 pm

I love how all your clients look and happy and in love! =-)

28. Melissa

October 22nd, 2008 at 7:19 pm

GREAT pics!! Love her dress…and she is soo beautiful. That looks like a really cool place to photograph..lots of stuff going on.

29. Michael Chansley

October 22nd, 2008 at 7:26 pm

These are awesome! What a great shoot!

30. Melissa

October 22nd, 2008 at 7:45 pm

I love the ones in front of the tunnel! Gorgeous!

31. Feuza

October 22nd, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I agree with CRISTINA, I would love to follow you around for a day and pick your brain, Your work is awesome and I am learning so much from your blog, I am just starting, thanks for sharing your tips.

32. Jasmine*

October 22nd, 2008 at 8:26 pm

@Rachel: Yes, I was shooting with my 50, 1.2 and it made me so happy! πŸ™‚ @Christina: I talk to my clients like I would talk to anyone else! πŸ˜‰ Sometimes I’m quiet, but most of the time I’m laughing along with them when they tell me their stories and about their lives…I love it! @Amber: Creating the mood is all about listening and gauging who your clients are. I try to walk into every shoot as if we were old friends…this helps so much! Ask questions, talk about who they are and what makes them different, truly LISTEN to who they are. Once you have this, you can create a mood according to the essence of who they are. Does this make sense? Just let me know if I’m talking trash here! πŸ˜‰ @Camille: I totally think "candidness" is a word! πŸ˜‰ @John: I used the 50, 1.2 for most of this shoot. It’s like butter! πŸ™‚ Thank you to everyone whose made H&W feel so loved!

33. Nattnee

October 22nd, 2008 at 9:14 pm

call me corny but i love that "no stopping any time" sign…with the couple being there it feels like their love will not stop any time now…ok i’m gonna go hide under a rock now for saying all that =p

34. Heather

October 22nd, 2008 at 10:36 pm

We rocked this thing’s socks off! Couldn’t have done it without you and JD…undeniably incredible you guys are! Web and I are truly blessed to have met you and are incredibly honored to be working with you. Thanks to everyone for the nice comments…Jasmine, you truly are one-of-a-kind!

35. Paper Monkey

October 22nd, 2008 at 11:10 pm

These are great. I love her dress and the punch of color she added with her scarf. It looks good in the tunnel. I love how you can see how much fun they had shooting this with you.

36. Caitlin

October 23rd, 2008 at 12:40 am

OK, I absolutely LOVE her outfit (the pictures rock too!) — can you tell us where she got it? πŸ™‚

37. Heather

October 23rd, 2008 at 12:55 am

Hi Caitlin…you are the sweetest! I got this little number from Anthropologie. I love that place. And to think…I almost wore something else!

38. joshua k

October 23rd, 2008 at 2:03 am

Beautiful & stunning as always! You are awesome Jasmine!

39. Trista

October 23rd, 2008 at 3:05 am

The light in all of them is awesome! I think I need to get the 50 1.2!

40. Lauren

October 23rd, 2008 at 3:29 am

Gorgeous photos, and thank you Jasmine* for spilling your photography tips!

41. tish

October 23rd, 2008 at 3:42 am

is there anywhere you can click that will show the camera settings for each photo? or is that sercret service type info?

42. Jo-Anne Kyle

October 23rd, 2008 at 7:18 am

Oh, Jasmine! They are all beautiful, as usual, but that last one… I could weep, it’s soooo gorgeous!!! Makes me want to fall in love.

43. Pascal

October 23rd, 2008 at 8:59 am

Some amazing shots here as usual. I just like the mood and how you capture the excitment of the future bride to be.

44. Jessica Price

October 23rd, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Super cute! I’m so envious of that location! Perfect for an engagement shoot!

45. Larry Reeves

October 23rd, 2008 at 6:37 pm

So Cool! I love all of these images. Looks like it was a ton of fun!

46. Caitlin

October 24th, 2008 at 4:49 am

Hi Heather! I don’t know if you will read this, but I suspected it was Anthropologie! I love that store!!! πŸ™‚

October 26th, 2008 at 2:25 am

You’re so creative, Jasmine! Blessings on that 50 1.2 for being able to capture that last picture!

48. Otto Rascon

October 26th, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Wow, these photographs are so much fun. What a lucky couple to have such a gifted photographer document their life in such an artistic way. It looked the shoot was a ton of fun. Great and inspiring work, as usual.

49. christine Meintjes

October 27th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

So cute! Love this shoot!

50. christine Meintjes

October 27th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

So cute! Love this shoot!

51. Jessica C

October 29th, 2008 at 1:32 am

I love these images! I love her clothes too… looks like an anthroplogie girl!

52. Jessica C

October 29th, 2008 at 1:32 am

I love these images! I love her clothes too… looks like an anthroplogie girl!

53. Nhu Muon

November 6th, 2008 at 3:47 am

Absolutely gorgeous. Your images are amazing! I love the "NO STOPPING ANYTIME" photo …

54. Patrice Nelson

November 12th, 2008 at 9:33 pm

What a small world – I kept thinking his face look familiar – yup, he helped me get though chemistry in collage. Congrats Weber – the photos are beautiful.

55. Heather

November 14th, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Oh, that is too funny! I will definitely have to tell Weber about you, Patrice!