Helping the Needy Survive

Personal

He moved with fluid motion from the pantry to the countertop stacking cans. JD asked when the canned food drive was announced. Umm, it was some time last week while you were in Houston, I responded barely peeling my eyes away from the computer. JD glanced back at me with a furrowed brow and asked, Why didn’t you tell me sooner? I’m not sure we have enough to donate…

There were at least 937 cans neatly stacked in rows. By the looks of it, he could have fed a small nation.

JD laced Polo to his leash and the two of them made their way to The Clubhouse. He was carrying bags of cans. See you in a bit, he said as he raised a heavy arm and smiled broadly. Even though I tried asking why he was giving away almost everything in our pantry, he ignored me. Well, no, he actually gave me a look that telepathically said If-you-even-THINK-of-giving-less-you’ll-be-worse-than-a-lump-of-coal, so I sunk back into my leather chair and let him stack to his heart’s content.

But that’s just JD. He gives and gives and gives. And continues to give, even when there’s nothing left. And just as freely as he gives cans of soup to the needy, he gives cans of love to me. He gives and gives and gives. And even when he thinks there’s nothing more left to give to me, he finds a way to hand over more.

To be completely honest, this past year has been very hard trying to balance our relationship and business. It’s quite easy to answer ooooooone more email…edit oooooone last picture…return ooooooone last call. But it’s impossible to ever get a quiet evening together on November 14, 2007 again. I’m slowly understanding this. Slowly. And until I’ve perfected this notion, JD continues to stack cans of love for me.

He’s always willing to help the needy survive.

comments

1. kerri mcconnell

November 14th, 2007 at 10:06 pm

perfect. 🙂 love the soup can. jd sounds awesome… you both are incredibly lucky!

2. lindsey

November 14th, 2007 at 10:19 pm

even if your photos were horrible i still would have added you to my rss feed for posts like this. throw in the fact that you inspire me with photography in addition to your writings and your blog makes my list of favorites. thank you for continuing to provide such beauty for us! ever consider writing a book? i’d love to have a book full of "full page soup can photos" and a write up like this! i’ll help you design it! thanks again!

3. abraham

November 14th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

i recall you posted awhile back that you were gonna start using Lightroom in your workflow once you had some time to learn it….well, i REALLY recommend you do it soon! i started using it and it saved me a ton of time! i’m editing my 2nd wedd with it and i cant believe i didnt use it before. if you want to have an extra few hours to spend with your hubby, i think Lightroom can help you with that…

4. Jasmine*

November 14th, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Oh, no, I want to clarify that I don’t spend time editing as much as I spend time doing *STUFF* that’s related to photography. Most of the time invested in my business is client care…and that’s something I don’t outsource. JD has been patient as I try to help others as well as take care of my clients. He’s the best! 🙂

5. jen harris

November 14th, 2007 at 10:46 pm

Awesome.

6. Kathy Carlisle

November 14th, 2007 at 11:01 pm

This is definitely the road less traveled by couples in relationships. Being able to take a look at what you contribute or struggle with at times. It will always be a lot of work to maintain a flourishing marriage…but, it’s fun work when you stay on top of it…and it is the ultimate payoff. Your relationship will only get stronger and stronger as long as you are able to take fresh looks at it like this. Keep up the hard work. Kathy

7. WeezerMonkey

November 14th, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Very Warhol. 😉

8. cathy

November 14th, 2007 at 11:39 pm

that is so sweet!

9. Tammy Marcelain

November 14th, 2007 at 11:55 pm

balance – something worth striving for, so hard to do well.

10. sticky

November 15th, 2007 at 1:16 am

JD’s the man, but I would keep the tomato soup and give up something else! Like Dinty Moore or Hormel Chili!LOL!

11. Amanda Key

November 15th, 2007 at 2:19 am

That is a great message. You are such a beautiful writer. Thanks for sharing.

12. Johanna Perales

November 15th, 2007 at 2:51 am

That’s so cute! I love JD’s big heart!

13. Simply Modern Weddings

November 15th, 2007 at 3:38 am

Very good message j*, I am really bad at "just responding to my last email" moments. I LOVE that you put things into perspective.

14. kimberlee

November 15th, 2007 at 4:47 am

awww- you guys are so awesome! 😉

15. David B. Hoffman

November 15th, 2007 at 5:43 am

Beautifully put!

16. amynave

November 15th, 2007 at 6:47 am

You guys are way to cute. love you guys!!!!!

17. angel swanson

November 15th, 2007 at 7:44 am

i totally feel you on this post. this is why weekly date night is sooo precious for me + erik. whether it’s a fun dinner out or a lazy night at home with a favorite DVD, we make sure that we always have some alone time each week. xoxo!

18. gabriel ryan

November 15th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

thanks for sharing your heart… and i love the warhol-esque image that goes oh-so-perfect with your post

19. nicole green

November 15th, 2007 at 1:45 pm

you always write the most beautiful blogs. 🙂 you guys are too cute. i’m like him .. i give so much when there’s a food drive or anything. it makes my heart happy.

20. stacey bode

November 15th, 2007 at 2:31 pm

not to take away from the awesome story, but that’s a COOL photo.

21. Dawn

November 15th, 2007 at 3:10 pm

You have such a wonderful way with words…there is nothing more full filling then helping people in need…and once again a photo that in itself tells an amazing story…

22. Tony Bisson

November 15th, 2007 at 3:20 pm

I can’t believe I have not heard of you before today! I found this blog via some random link and I am very impressed with your way capturing people and off-the-cuff writing style. I have added you to my RSS feeds.

Have a great day!

23. kimi b

November 15th, 2007 at 3:44 pm

we do the same thing. we just keep telling ourselves we’re definitely better off than the people in the shelters (not much 🙂 , but still better off. you both are such awesome people and an inspiration in more ways than just in the photography world. many continued blessings to you both!

24. Tanya Perez

November 15th, 2007 at 4:18 pm

JD sounds great. You guys are so kind and humble, always inspiring. Love ya Jasmine!

25. Chris

November 15th, 2007 at 5:16 pm

That was a beautiful post! JD sounds like an awesome guy!

26. Jennifer Elaine

November 15th, 2007 at 6:11 pm

Looks like you found a gem:)

27. cassandra m

November 15th, 2007 at 7:53 pm

ahhhhhh…too sweet. JD is awesome. And one day the sacrifices you both have made will pay off BIG for you. 😉

28. Kat Willcox

November 15th, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Ok–so I have been one of your blog stalkers for a while now 🙂 and I have always been to shy to leave a comment. Until today that is–Not only do you inspire me creatively but today you have inspired my marriage. Thanks for sharing. The way you take pictures, write from the heart and share your life is VERY impressive. Thanks! I am reminded of how much I have to learn.

29. MattDJ

November 15th, 2007 at 9:11 pm

Beautiful.

30. Mary Jane

November 15th, 2007 at 10:32 pm

Isn’t it so great to know that the more you give, the more you have? I’m just sure it will all come back in groves – I think it already has…. 🙂
    Thanks for the awesome post! You two are so sweet together.

31. Regina

November 16th, 2007 at 3:04 pm

That is the second good man I would give props too! My husband the 1st. But doesn’t it feel good to know you have man who is so caring, giving and loving all rolled into one. Awesome JD you are a special in my book!

32. Kim Reed

November 22nd, 2007 at 1:18 am

I swear JD and my husband are one and the same. This past year (I started my business last year too), has been a ridiculously jam-packed learning experience. I’ve learned it’s hard for me to relax when I have work to do.

And I’ve learned I have a saint for a husband, who keeps my side of the bed warm for me when I inevitably crawl into bed after 2am, every night. For the 360th night in a row.

Glad to hear you’ve got a good one too. 😉