Hopelessly In Love with Hope

We walked into a large room with a mahogany desk and two overstuffed chairs, and I straightened my neon green shorts before plunking into a chair while simutaneously sizing up my competition. My hair was in a side-pony tail and I wore a t-shirt with a koala emblazoned on the front, and the kid next to me wore khaki pants, a red polo shirt, and his hair parted down the middle. I’m not going to lie…I was feeling good. Invincible, maybe.

I was eight years old and my mom got wind of a Christian radio station auditioning kids for a voiceover on a Saturday morning show. Why she thought I’d be a good fit was beyond me, but I was just happy to be wearing a new pair of neon green shorts.

Khaki Pants and I were introduced to the radio producers, quickly handed scripts, and told we had a few minutes to review our lines before our audition. Then I froze. Read? READ?!? Who said anything about reading?! My palms became sweaty when I realized I didn’t have the nerve to tell the adults in the room I didn’t know how to read (and reading wouldn’t come for another two and a half years…cut me some slack, I was special!), but sighed relief when Khaki Pants was told to go first. I decided I’d simply memorize the lines from his recitation.

He stood from his chair and, honestly, delivered a Broadway performance…I pictured little Orphan Annie appearing out of thin air and them kick-ball-changing their way to stage left. Jazz hands and all. He delivery was so good his eyebrows moved in unison with his punctuation, like a young Groucho Marx. In a polo shirt. The producers loved him so much they brought out a device that simulated sound effects and asked him to read again as they added the ring of a doorbell and a dog barking in the distance.

I didn’t even make it through two sentences before I was stopped and thanked for my time. The producers walked Khaki Pants to his mom in the waiting room and I slithered into the hallway where I saw my mom waiting. She continued smiling as I recounted the horrid details and at the end–when I was on the verge of tears–she stopped me and said if I quit after every tough moment in my life I’d never be good at anything.

That’s my mom. She was–and still is–hopelessly in love with hope.

Years later when I started my business, I called my mom in tears after assisting another photographer shoot a wedding. She said I better not quit. The time had come for me to be good at something, even if I didn’t really know how things worked. I explained to her that I felt like I was doing things wrong, and she replied, Get better. I said photographers make fun of me for shooting in Aperture Priority (but have since gone fully Manual) and she replied, Who cares what they think?

This weekend I thought of my mom, the Patron Saint of Hopers, and thought I’d pass along her advice because, really, guys who wear khaki pants shouldn’t always walk away with the leading role.

1. Bethany Ann

March 26th, 2012 at 2:14 pm

What a great story and a wonderful message. 🙂 Happy Monday.

P.S. LOVE that burgundy dress. 🙂

2. Sheila Sim

March 26th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Nice one. And hey, aperture priority has an important place in the world!

3. Dana Laymon

March 26th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

You ladies are beautiful- cool to see a picture of you two together! Thanks for sharing. Very encouraging to hear!

4. Marija Kerekes

March 26th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Sta bismo mi bez nasih mama 🙂

5. Jeanette Verster

March 26th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

You have a very wise mom…. love the post

6. Claudia

March 26th, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Beautiful post. 🙂

7. Jessica Vidmar Photography

March 26th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

"the time had come for me to be good at something." This profoundly touched me this morning…thank you!

8. Miriam

March 26th, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I am going to make your mother my patron symbol of hope. So if you see her in tiny statue form on my dashboard, don’t freak.

Thanks for the Fix. In some ways, I think I’m being fixed. At least I’m starting to wake up from a numbness that kept me from getting out there and doing something. Perhaps you passed along some hope.

9. Chrissy Henry

March 26th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

10. LEOLAK

March 26th, 2012 at 3:20 pm

TEARS!!! LOVE this …what a great story to read to start a Monday (heck anytime)! So very very true….thank you for sharing. You two look gorgeous!

11. Ashley

March 26th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Love you! You give me hope!

12. Rachel Abi

March 26th, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That story from your childhood sounds terrifying. I once auditioned for a local theatre’s rendition of Fiddler on the roof… half way through I was informed I had to sing… I think I must have been made into a statue for that two minute song… feet glued to the floor only thing that moved was my lips that barely let out a sound!

I’m so glad your mother, father, and husband pushed you to go on for now we all get to reap the benefits of seeing your marvelous work! Go your mom ;P

13. Hannah Elise

March 26th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I so needed this reminder. Thanks Jasmine!

14. Tami Inoue

March 26th, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I love her advice of "get better"…just the advice my mom would have given me.

15. Misty Minna Photography

March 26th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Beautifully written as usual, Jasmine. My mom and I have a similar relationship, she’s my biggest cheerleader!

16. Carlise

March 26th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thank you so much for this!!!

17. Vanessa Balenovich

March 26th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

My day usually starts with a latte and your blog. Its like opening up a present on Christmas morning -the antisipation and excitement of never knowing what to expect. I usually walk away with a laugh and always a smile to start my day-but today it was tears. Strong, full flowing tears. But they were good tears. Cleansing tears-thank you Jasmine, not just for helping in the photography world but for your inspiration in every aspect of life. If only everyone could see things the way you do. xoxo

18. Life with Kaishon

March 26th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

That was so good Jasmine. So good.
    : ) I wonder wear little Mr. Khaki pants is now?

19. Samia

March 26th, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Your Mum is amazing 😀 !!!

20. kayla :)

March 26th, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I just love you. that is all.

21. Whitney Bower

March 26th, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I was in tears, and then laughing while crying when you said that the koala on your shirt cried. You are awesome, xoox

22. jeramy

March 26th, 2012 at 4:08 pm

nice. 🙂

23. Naida Alvarado

March 26th, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Wow, this is an amazing story! Thank you for being so transparent and sharing of your life with your admirers. God bless you!

24. Lauren Wakefield

March 26th, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Amen sister! Here’s to landing the roll in neon jeans…because..well…I’m obsessed with them. 🙂

25. Stephanie Stewart

March 26th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Love this post, Jasmine! And you and your Mom look beautiful! Moms always have best advice, don’t they? Good thing you listened to her! Otherwise, I may not have gotten to meet you in Chicago or give my dream of photography a shot. Please give your Mom and hug for me and tell her Thank You.

26. Libby (girl moving to Kalamazoo)

March 26th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Aren’t moms the best?! I built my business on shooting auto and slowly learned manual. Heck, I’m still learning. Doesn’t matter. Did I get business?! Yes I did and I keep on plugging away. 🙂

27. JacPfef

March 26th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Here, here!

AA said it best: "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."

28. Nikki McKenzie

March 26th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Praise the Lord for people like your Mama 🙂

29. Samantha

March 26th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I shoot in aperture priority. LOL. And proud of it! It gives me the results I want, so really, who cares?

Your mom is a smart lady. <3

30. Dede Edwards

March 26th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Great Monday advice! Who cares what people think! I don’t!

31. Solange Morgan

March 26th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Awesome post! Do you still shoot in AP mode?

32. Jennifer Medeiros

March 26th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

33. Abi

March 26th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Brilliant. x

34. Heather B

March 26th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

And this is why I love you. Some how you always know exactly what I need to hear (read). Thank you for always being so encouraging to those of us just starting out 🙂

35. Jim Denham

March 26th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Great story! Sounds like you’ve got a keeper in that mom of yours!

36. Jasmine*

March 26th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Solange: No, I no longer shoot in Av, but in fully Manual…but it took me a year to get there! 🙂

37. Mitch Kloorfain

March 26th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I have a deep routed attraction to hope. Great story!

BTW – I am a pro shooter for 30+ years and OWN aperture priority for 90% of my events and shoots!

38. Madeline J

March 26th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

You always say the most inspiring things…I’m going through so many of the same things you talk about! Thanks for showing me the light at the end of the tunnel.

39. Natasha Horton

March 26th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I lost a spelling bee in 3rd grade on what I still consider the worst word ever created in any language. I may be a bit biased against said word though. I did not have those words of encouragement spoken to me. Now that I have children I am always looking at ways to do it "better." I am, if permitted, going to take your mother’s words of wisdom and plaster them all over my daughter’s brains! Thanks for the message of hope, especially on a Monday. By the way….the word was buckish….ick!

40. Andrea

March 26th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Your mama sounds almost as wonderful as mine :). I’m glad that she had the wisdom to know when to push, I don’t know what life would be like without your blog and amazing pictures… shot in Aperture Priority!

41. Suzanne D

March 26th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you… there are so many times my insecurity raises its ugly head because I feel I am just not good enough. It always helps to hear that others have gone through all the same stuff.

42. Dave Keys

March 26th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Jasmine, thanks for sharing your mom with us in ways that count as well as this beautiful photo. I just learned something very important about you– what motivates you to excel. Wise advice from a beautiful woman. (both of you) She has done very well!

43. David Sno

March 26th, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Yyyeeaaah!!! That’s that good tough Momma love! That’s exactly why moms were invented, for when we don’t know how to believe in ourselves, they push us through anything. Get em Momma Star!

I have to go thank my mom now 😉

44. Beth

March 26th, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I LOVE your honesty! You are willing to share details about your life that are hard for you but so inspiring to us! I home school and my daughter is 9 and is still struggling with reading. Thank you so much for sharing your mom’s encouragement! I can’t wait to share your story with my daughter!

45. Kristin

March 26th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I used to be afraid to hope. Now, I am what seems to be a glutton for punishment as I too am hopelessly in love with hope. Hope deferred truly does leave the heart sick. My body is crushed as once again, I face a lost hope. But I am trying to hold on to the one TRUE Hope and that is Jesus Christ. And through Him, I find my tree of life. Your post brings encouragement to not quite. I want to forget hope and wall myself off so that I "won’t" hurt anymore but in quitting, I would hurt forever. You have a wonderful mother and her wisdom has just spread across the globe through you : )

46. Brooke

March 26th, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Your mom sounds so much like my mom! A couple months ago, I had that same teary eyed phone conversation with her about how I thought my life was in a stand still… working my regular full time job (which I do love, but sometimes you want more), not dating anyone, photography kind of in a stand still position & how I just wanted it all to hurry up & happen. About a month later I had four weddings booked & now I’m moving this weekend! Things happen when they’re supposed to & sometimes we just have to cry it out. I’m ecstatic to be photographing the four weddings that I have booked & to be right where I am.
    Sounds like we both have pretty great moms/ support systems.
    But I’m definitely glad to know that I’m not the only one to have those feelings of sadness & insecurity. I hope to someday be half as successful as you are in my own photography business/ as happy as you seem to be & as happy as I am today. 🙂

47. Edy Carreno

March 26th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Moms are the rocks we stand on that help us reach our dreams 🙂 Hope is one of the most important gifts in life….. To have them both is a blessing <3 Ur mom Rocks!! PS- u just made me call my mom to tell her Thanks for being mine and I love her . Have a Rockin’ Day, Jasmine!

48. Haley Johnston

March 26th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

49. Rici

March 26th, 2012 at 4:24 pm

This is such a lovely post!!!
    I should make a to-think-and-remember-list of your wonderful advise you give!! and I have to say, I adore you free, honest, squeaky, cheeky way of writing!! Thank you for sharing so freely!!! Many greetings from Tuscany.

50. Heather Armstrong

March 26th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

You’re a gift & you know just how to make me cry! Thank you for this! I thank your mom for this! Amazing!

51. Laura Fiore

March 26th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Thank God for your Mama every day…the gift of hope is amazing! And the fact that she wouldn’t let you be a quitter speaks volumes about who you are today! I get my ornery and toughness from my mama and am so glad she told me I could do anything I set my mind to!

52. Lisa Jay

March 26th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

You have a great mother & a great memory & you write so well. Two years ago I was made to feel like I should just give up if I was shooting in AV mode.. isn’t it funny when you think about it. Everybody has to start somewhere, that’s why it’s called a journey. x

53. Kathy

March 26th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Love the message! Your mom and father are like a set of Yodas! "his eyebrows moved in unison with the punctuation, like a little Groucho Marx". Bahahaha! Your humor!

54. Sandra Fazzino Photography

March 26th, 2012 at 4:37 pm

What a way to build character! For an eight year old, that is a rock hard moment in time. What strikes me is during my first time & first workshop at wppi the instructor encouraged us to shoot in aperature mode to save time and focus on the client and not the camera. I still can’t convince my ego to switch the dial to, "A"! Thanks for sharing these life lessons. Some of us don’t have outside support & these vignettes of overcoming your struggles come in very handy. Xx

55. Carrie K

March 26th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Never let the Khakis win! 🙂 lol. Great post Jasmine.

56. Peter

March 26th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong with aperture priority mode… no, can’t think of anything! I still use it a lot, as it keeps my mind free from worrying about tech details I don’t care about anyway. Depth of field and capturing the moment what I value.

57. Tish Hill

March 26th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for sharing your life with us – I remember figuring out Aperture mode and thinking I was ALL THAT! 🙂 lol

58. Amber Joy

March 26th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Thank you for posting that, after last week, and the hashing that I’ve witnessed my friends lay on others that I respect, you summed where my heart is very well. : )

59. Diana

March 26th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Exactly what I needed this Monday Morning. Thank you!

60. Alexis

March 26th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Aww!!!! So sweet and encouraging! Your mom sounds like a strong woman and a lot like my mom in the advice she gives you! 🙂 All the best, J*! 🙂

61. Vangie R. Abrera

March 26th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

You have a very awesome mom Jasmine! It’s nice to have someone who encourages you every step of the way. My best regards to her too.

62. Sadiemae

March 26th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

the koala started crying! LOL Thank you for the laugh and the encouragement

63. Tammy

March 26th, 2012 at 5:24 pm

What a great message of hope for me and for those who feel that they want to give up. Your words of encouragement inspire me. You’re great Jasmine!

64. Connie Roper

March 26th, 2012 at 5:30 pm

what’s with the aperture priority snobbery anyway? I never get that? and plus, neon is back in style –

65. Jennifer

March 26th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for your post today! I was planning on starting my business for another 6 months or so, but a friend reccomended me because of the pictures I have been posting on FB. I am excited but feeling nervous because I am not yet a professional and far from photographing in manual. You gave me a bit of confidence. Thanks!

66. Kristi Hill

March 26th, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I started out shooting seniors in AV mode and I LOVED it. Then I realized it wasn’t the end all, be all mode and that I was going to have to tackle manual. Now that’s all I shoot in. I think we’ve all been there at some point. 🙂

67. Heather Cherie

March 26th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing! 🙂 I have a wonderful mom too!

68. Julie Villarreal

March 26th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Love it: " if I quit after every tough moment in my life I’d never be good at anything" — your mom is a smart lady. So glad you didn’t quit!

69. Feather

March 26th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Thank you for sharing…and thank your mom for everyone that needs to hear that advice! It’s so easy to second guess yourself and give up…so needed that today. Your awesome!

70. Bianca

March 26th, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Do I get a referral fee for giving you blog content? Because really, I feel like you just stole my Jackson Pollack original painting!!! 🙂 Goooo Adventures in Odyssey! 😉

71. Jennifer Renee

March 26th, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I first shot in auto but taught myself Manual.. But when I went to a workshop with a very popular photographer and you know him personally, found out he shoots AP. I tried it but I think its harder for me personally.

March 26th, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Thank God for moms who push us to be our best!

73. Gaby Manrique-Villari

March 26th, 2012 at 6:36 pm

awww!!! if i had the power to jump through the screen i would HUG both of you! (instead i’m hugging the computer 🙂 this is a great way to start the week!!! my mom’s name is Esperanza (hope in spanish) so i love love love this post!!! your mom reminds me of her! :’) How lucky we are for our amazing moms! God Bless both of you Jasmine! Thanksssssssssssssss!!! 🙂

74. Marlo Laney

March 26th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Wow….I really needed that. Just had a client flat out not call me back after proofing Head Shots. Then saw that they got them redone by someone else. I felt defeated even though they prepared better for the second photog. Better outfit, better makeup etc. I could have consulted them better. I need to pull up my big girl pants and just DO BETTER :o)

75. Tina Nandi

March 26th, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Oh Jasmine, your blog always always always fills me up with hope! I am so inspired by your work and by your humility and willingness to share and teach from your experiences! Thank you for being you. Your stories encourage me to keep going!

76. Maureen

March 26th, 2012 at 7:28 pm

My first photography prof limited us — manual mode only until we had full understanding of exposure equivelants,compensation, Etc. After manual mode was mastered, we then moved on to use AP and Shutter priority and grasp their importance. Shame on that wedding photographer for denigrating the importance of each shooting mode! Manual mode is as basic as it gets, so I hate hearing that people find it intimidating. AV mode can be a great tool for a wedding photographer that doesn’t want to miss an important moment.

77. audrey

March 26th, 2012 at 7:45 pm

This was great. Thank you.

78. Jen Roberson

March 26th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

So encouraging. I started with AP mode and found it really helped me get a grasp and feel of the relationships so the transition to manual was much easier.

79. Tracie

March 26th, 2012 at 8:05 pm

That’s the kind of mom I am trying to be. I didn’t get that kind of mothering, in fact many times I was the mother for my own parents, and whenever I needed mothering, I had nowhere to turn, until highschool when my best friend’s mom became a surrogate mom. My kids will never know what it feels like to not have their mom be their champion, their heart ache soother, and their just being silly for the sake of being silly partner….. thanks for posting that entry, because moms are important. <3

80. Mikaela

March 26th, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I’m so happy I got to meet your mom last week at theFix 🙂 Many thanks to both of you…

81. Jenny McQueen

March 26th, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I saw Bianca’s comment…..oh em gee Adventures in Odyssey was my JAM! And now my sister is marrying someone named Jason Whitaker, and we’ll never stop giving her grief!

82. Mom

March 26th, 2012 at 9:36 pm

"Then the producers clapped and asked me to read. I could be wrong, but the koala on my t-shirt started crying."

Jasmine, I remember that t-shirt so clearly!! One of your favorite shirts. Reading this blog made me cry. I remember that day. Oh…..how I remember it. Let me take you back to the studio. I know you’ll make it this time!!!!!!!!!! Love, Mom

83. Lorrie Prothero

March 26th, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I really liked your story – but your mom’s response in the comments made me cry. I love how she supports you.

84. Janet Cruz

March 27th, 2012 at 1:36 am

Wow! Thanks Jasmine, just when I need a little pep talk! Today I had a Bride tell me that I needed to "tighten up" the pictures of her wedding. I thought they were pretty good.
    gulp….started to feel pretty low, then read your post….
    Thanks Mom! The pep talk I needed! janet

85. Alaina Bos

March 27th, 2012 at 2:41 am

Your mom is amazing!! That is all.

86. Kirsty

March 27th, 2012 at 3:39 am

Thank you for sharing your story with us, we’ve definitely all had those moments! I’m so new to photography (owned my SLR 2mths) and I’m shooting Aperture Priority for now with good results, but I think I need to master it before I can tackle full Manual!

87. Laura Pedrino

March 27th, 2012 at 4:39 am

Great post Jasmine! I love good, kind stories that leave you warm and, dare I say it, hopeful 🙂

88. KTC

March 27th, 2012 at 9:57 am

This story is so awesome. Thanks for sharing. I hope you went back to aperture priority!!

89. Matt and Katie

March 27th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thanks Jasmine! For just being you, and for reminding us to stay hopelessly in love with hope!

90. Jakki

March 27th, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I am so loving the comment from your mom above!!!!

GET BETTER…perfect!

91. Angie Mack

March 27th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I just love how you honor your mom, J*. She truly is a woman after God’s own heart! I am inspired by her statement to you, "…if I quit after every tough moment in my life I’d never be good at anything." Hallelujah and Amen!

92. Belinda

March 27th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

You have an awesome mom and she’s absolutely right. =)

93. cheryl

March 27th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Everyone needs a Patron Saint of Hope. I also have a great mom who helps me propel myself forward. Consider myself so much more than fortunate for her posititve encouragement but still love hearing it m another place. Thank You!

94. jami

March 28th, 2012 at 5:00 am

That’s it, dangit!!! I’m submitting my video tomorrow. Thank you!!!

95. Michelle

March 28th, 2012 at 5:02 am

Jasmine, I read your blog yesterday, but it meant sooo much more this afternoon. A recent shoot that I thought went really well was criticized by another today. Thanks for keeping the dream alive! Michelle
    P.S. Can’t wait to see you on CL 😀

96. Leslie

March 28th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

possibly on of my favorite posts!!! Gotta love moms that offer sound advice when we need it the most [and sometimes when we don’t .. .haha]!

97. Margo

March 28th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Ok, your mom’s comment put me over the edge. Love! I lost my mom when I was 19, which is a time when a lot of kids are griping about their mom’s. Hearing people who totally and completely appreciate momma’s makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

98. Erin Oveis Brant

March 28th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I want to hug your mom!

99. danielle

March 29th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

OMGosh, never laughed so hard at one of your posts!! Not at you, but the description of everything…whoo, my sides are still sore. "koaloa on my t-shirt started crying"…Your mom is amazing & hello, looks amazing! Great post, don’t feel bad I still can’t read or spell well and I went to school! lol

100. Lacey

March 30th, 2012 at 5:51 am

I am so thankful for your mom’s wisdom right now! Thank you for sharing (and for making me laugh!).

101. Ivy Towler

March 31st, 2012 at 3:16 am

Mom…. a word that hits me everyday… sometimes as a punch to the gut because I miss my mom with every cell in my body or sometimes as a tickle to my soul because my kiddos are that blessing I always looked forward too enjoying. Moms are amazing and hearing your tribute to your mom brought a smile and a tear.
    Cheers to you~

102. LILIAl

March 31st, 2012 at 5:39 am

It was a pleasure to meet your parents at The Fix. Your mom is so sweet, it was great to see how your family and your husband’s support you so dearly. Felicidades!

103. Faith Cherisse

April 1st, 2012 at 9:51 am

Your mom is a saint. I love how supportive and loving your family is. They made me wanna get up and cheer for you at The Fix. Blessed. I enjoyed every moment at The Fix. Thank goodness for your mom’s advice.

104. Vonnie Perez

May 2nd, 2012 at 11:40 pm

That’s a great story! Thanks for sharing.