Kisses and Disses : Revolving Doors and My Bed

Kisses and Disses : Revolving Doors and My Bed

Personal

Oh yes. Yes. It’s that time again. This week’s installment of Kisses and Disses comes right before I’m about to leave for an afternoon shoot. I’m headed to Santa Monica and the cloudy weather is just stunning…although it does make me want to curl up with a cup of tomato soup and read instead of being on the road again. Perhaps I’ll make it back with enough time to do it all. And if anyone says anything about the peculiarity of tomato soup, I’ll throw a tomato at you! 😉

This week’s DISSES go to…
*Me. Yesterday I got caught in a revolving door. No, really, I was caught. The automatic door kept pushing my clavical deeper into the stationary door and I look to JD in a state of panic. I was literally stuck. He pushed the emergency release button and an alarm sounded. Once the pressure of the automatic door released, I squeezed past. Major, major diss for being so uncool.
*The scale. I’m sure it’s broken. It must be. OR ITS A LIAR!

This week’s KISSES go to…
*Alaska Airlines. I adore this airline! Every time I fly Alaskan, I have the most pleasurable experience. I arrived 25 minutes early to Portland and the make things better, the flight attendant gave me an extra snack bag of pretzels. They love me!
*Natalie Portman. Yes, as in the actress. After I flew home from Portland yesterday, JD and I drove to Los Angeles to visit his sister at Children’s Hospital. Jade, JD’s eight-year-old sister, has special needs and underwent surgery and was hospitalized by the time we arrived home. Thankfully, she’s doing well, but as she recuperated in the children’s play zone, I saw Natalie Portman in a nurse apron singing and laughing with the kids. She cleaned toys and wiped chins…all while keeping her head down and not creating a stir. She was just as beautiful as she is on the movie screen, but her heart made her stunning.
*My bed. The past couple weeks I’ve slept in hotel beds more than my own. When I crept into bed last night, I stretched out like the Vitruvian Man and soaked it all in.

Happy Wednesday!

comments

1. Olivia -

Love these posts!

2.25.09 - 5:28 pm

2. Deyla Huss Photography -

Love the Banners you made for Disses and Kisses, Crack me up! My diss would be getting my coat belt stuck in the escalator! UGH! So embaressing!

2.25.09 - 5:38 pm

3. kelly Brown -

aww, this makes me love natalie portland, even more (which i didn’t know was possible!)

2.25.09 - 5:44 pm

4. Catie Ronquillo -

I once got stuck in a bathroom in France because the lock broke. I totally feel your pain! No windows, no escape. Thank God I had a cell phone! I love these posts, so fun 🙂

2.25.09 - 5:49 pm

5. Lydia -

My cousin has spent much of her short life in a hospital, and I respect people like Natalie Portman who help to make things better! Go her!

2.25.09 - 5:51 pm

6. Jackie L. -

Awe, Natalie Portman is beautiful.

2.25.09 - 6:11 pm

7. B -

Kiss: To JD and Jazzy for coming over for dinner last night.
    Diss: To all the amazing food we ate. Yes, your scale AND my scale are broken.

2.25.09 - 6:20 pm

8. Kristin Mizo -

Yay! You listened to me about the banners…I knew you would 🙂 I LOVE tomato soup…and Natalie Portman! I think she is so beautiful…and smart…and humble…and apparently giving.

2.25.09 - 6:25 pm

9. Meghan -

I LOVE that you’ve brought back these posts! Hope JD’s sister is doing well. P.S. I hate revolving doors too – my mom was in one in S.F. way back when and the door shattered with her inside. Neither of us use them EVER.

2.25.09 - 6:58 pm

10. Stephanie Stewart -

I hope you have a wonderful shoot, and that you get to enjoy your tomato soup later – it is so good! Love the Vitruvian Man reference!

2.25.09 - 7:01 pm

11. Nelly Soares -

..So now you HAVE to watch Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, one of my favorite feel good movies

2.25.09 - 7:01 pm

12. michelle sidles -

Vitruvian? Huh? Is it just me?! 😉

2.25.09 - 7:39 pm

13. Shannon K -

Now why can’t that kind of celebrity news make it out into the world? Thanks for sharing!

2.25.09 - 7:52 pm

14. Marisa -

i laughed out loud at the mental image of you getting stuck in the door…i couldn’t help it. i would totally do something like that…AND although i am a huge alaska airlines fan, have you flown virgin america yet? FANTASTIC!!

2.25.09 - 7:54 pm

15. Candace Prokopets -

That’s the first thing I blogged about when I got home from WPPI and a quick trip to the Grand Canyon – my bed! But specifically, my pillows. I like my pillows kind of flat and hotels always have these huge pillows. Welcome home! It was great getting to meet you in Vegas.

2.25.09 - 8:12 pm

16. Jackie P -

I don’t usually comment, but I’m LOL really..at picturing you stuck in a revolving door. I laughed at myself when I got stuck in a car wash, the doors went down and wouldn’t go up. I had to call someone to call the car wash and let me out. Gotta love those moments!

2.25.09 - 8:14 pm

17. jeramy -

tomato soup is a comfort food for sure….grilled cheese sandwich too!

2.25.09 - 8:27 pm

18. Kare -

I know it’s wrong, but my first thought about the revolving door was… didn’t JD have his camera to get a shot of that? sorry *hangs head in shame*

2.25.09 - 8:38 pm

19. Jeanette Sanchez -

Fun post for sure, keep them coming!

2.25.09 - 8:48 pm

20. Seini -

Home sweet home! Like you our bed here outbeats any hotel room….I just wish I had a magic wand to clean up my home which 4 kids and a husband had free reign over while away at WPPI:)

2.25.09 - 8:52 pm

21. liam hennessey -

photography blog AND a Natalie Portman mention. KISSES for sure!
    This keeps getting better every day Jasmine!

2.25.09 - 9:40 pm

22. Patrick -

I am crazy about Alaska air. Ok being from NJ the only real time I was on it was going to Alaska from Seattle. Ok so twice I got to fly it and the leg room is amazing!! I am 6’4" so that leg room on that long of a flight is key.

2.25.09 - 9:41 pm

23. angie b. -

Wow…found your blog and LOVE it! I think I am slightly obssessed with not just your pictures but your writing ablilty. Keep it comin’ girl!
    I will be back!

2.25.09 - 11:03 pm

24. -april -

I think you just hit a memory point for me. Olive Garden? View of the 60 freeway? Sounds of freight trucks? Was the Olive Garden at Puente Hills in the City of Industry?

2.25.09 - 11:04 pm

25. Jasmine Marie -

This is so ironic because I was just flipping through your old blog (the blogspot one) and was fondly remembering how you used to do Kisses/Disses. And then when I clicked back to this blog, I had to do a double-take! How funny! 🙂

2.25.09 - 11:36 pm

26. Lindsay Kipp Photography -

MMMmmm…. tomato soup! I shared that and a grilled cheese sandwich with my son yesterday for lunch and it was mmm… mmm… good! I hope you get to have your bowl too!

2.26.09 - 12:07 am

27. Becka Knight -

I can’t believe Natalie Portman was just there, right in front of you. I have such a girl crush on her.

And tomato soup is our date night fav!

2.26.09 - 12:21 am

28. Ashley Mauro -

Love it!! I feel like you and Natalie Portman could be best friends, seriously! So sweet, so cool and just down to earth.

2.26.09 - 12:59 am

29. Hanssie Trainor -

1. Tomato soup rocks! I have a great tomato basil soup recipe add some grilled cheese sandwiches..yum, heaven!

2. LMAO about picturing you vs. the revolving door

3. I love people that give back and serious points to Natalie in book!

4. The MGM grand beds were pretty comfy if you ask me…not as great as my bed of course, but I can’t complain!

2.26.09 - 1:16 am

30. Cathy Crawley -

I *heart* your Natalie Portman story, how beautiful!

2.26.09 - 1:35 am

31. Simone -

Mmmmm, tomato soup. I love it with cut up cheddar cheese in it and then it gets all meltly-like.
    Sorry to hear about the revolving door. Did you kick it when you got out? 😉

2.26.09 - 2:15 am

32. kate -

I can’t see the pictures, boo :[ but yeah for natalie portman!

2.26.09 - 3:38 am

33. jackie wonders -

holy macrole jasmine…the revolving door is hillarious! it’s SOOOO something i could imagine myself doing 🙂

2.26.09 - 3:39 am

34. Feuza -

Are there pictures with this post? can not view them, love the Kisses and even the Disses

2.26.09 - 4:18 am

35. Linda Truong -

I LOLed hard @ the revolving doors. Bimbo moment, no? Did you do like a really cool dance after wards to cover up?

2.26.09 - 7:14 am

36. sasha -

hi Jasmine! i love tomato soup =)
    i can’t see the pictures though. =(
    -sasha

2.26.09 - 10:23 am

37. Gail Elaine -

I love your work. You are very inspiring. I review your blog regularly to keep me motivated.
    Anyway, I can’t seem to view the automatic door photo’s from any computer… they are all little red x’s. Take care and blessed be

2.26.09 - 10:48 am

38. Bobbie Brown -

haha! you make me laugh!

2.26.09 - 12:28 pm

39. Stephanie Greenwell -

Bless your heart! That sooo sounds like something that would happen to me. I’m a hazard always waiting to happen and usually it does. Trip over air. Check. Shut my fingers in doors. Check. Fall on my butt(more than my fair share!). Check. Glad you can find such humor. Glad to hear JD’s sis is doing well and that even stars make good on their celebrity, much like you and JD. 😉 God Bless you both!

2.26.09 - 1:26 pm

40. michelle cunningham -

see… that’s why i NEVER take the revolving door route. i always take the normal door right next to it. lol.

i can’t wait to get back to my own bed. it’s been 5 months since i’ve kept countenance on that heavenly mattress. i miss it so much.

2.26.09 - 1:31 pm

41. brad -

i can’t see the photos either? the others on earlier posts do show.

2.26.09 - 2:00 pm

42. Linda -

I thought I was the only one who could not see the pix.

2.26.09 - 2:31 pm

43. Leah Charbonneau -

Love Kisses and Disses! Thanks! Oh, and don’t feel bad about the revolving door. I got caught in subway doors once and no one in the car tried to help. They just looked at me with pity. Very embarrassing!

2.26.09 - 2:46 pm

44. faye -

LOL, i run through those darn revolving doors! i’m always scared it’s going to hit me from behind and trip me.

2.26.09 - 3:18 pm

45. Becky -

That’s funny your scale and my scale must be in cahoots. Mine seems to be lying a lot lately too!

2.26.09 - 3:25 pm

46. Leah Mullett -

I can’t see it either 🙁

2.26.09 - 3:42 pm

47. Nancy Ramos -

Jasmine, the door incident sounds scary

2.26.09 - 3:46 pm

48. Karen (Mikols) Bonar -

Ok, the sticking out tongue … it freaks me OUT! now I want tomato soup.

2.26.09 - 4:46 pm

49. brandi -

so J* are those your lips? =) btw i LOVE tomato soup!

2.26.09 - 5:14 pm

50. jeramy -

you had me at ‘stuck in the revolving door’

2.26.09 - 5:14 pm

51. Luke Goodman -

Ha, I just made tomato basil soup! It was/is amazing. It was great meeting you at WPPI!

2.26.09 - 5:41 pm

52. Ashley -

Tomato soup is the best so no disses will be thrown about that! I get it every time I go to Boudin. Soooo good! And Natalie Portman? You are much cooler than I am bc I would have wanted to go take a picture with her! Love this kisses and disses feature.

2.26.09 - 7:06 pm

53. Jonni -

Hi Jasmine,

I just found your website recently and I have enjoyed reading your blog so much! Thank you for sharing so much of your workflow with us and your great stories. You are truly an inspiration.

I read your great post about the lenses you use but was wondering which lens do you find that you use the most? Thanks for any guidance you could give and thanks for all you do. You rock! 🙂

P.S. Congrats on your Fresh Blog win! You have a great looking blog.

2.26.09 - 7:27 pm

54. Melissa -

Laughing at the revolving door incident! Pretty nerdy! I can see myself doing that. ;o)

Love Natalie Portman. That is so sweet.

2.26.09 - 7:59 pm

55. Kelly Braman -

You are just too cute! I so enjoy reading little tidbits about your daily life and happenings~or mishaps!:)

2.26.09 - 9:37 pm

56. barbara (soon to be dieppa) -

awww… I’m a peds RN , so if you have any questions shoot me an email. Hope everything is ok…surgery is always scary, and always hard on the families. Sending you my well wishes

2.26.09 - 10:19 pm

57. Brittney hale -

Could you be any cuter?!?! It always puts a smile on my face to read what you have to say. And all my love and well wishes to JDs sis and your family!!

2.27.09 - 1:31 am

58. Megan Beth -

you too…I hate revolving doors!! I’m always so afraid of getting trapped in the little triangular space of death 🙂

2.27.09 - 2:32 am

59. Jewelielyn -

i cannot believe revolving doors are legal! you are lucky to have escaped unharmed. thankfully your white knight was there . . .

2.27.09 - 2:33 am

60. Donavan Freberg -

I already loved Natalie Portman, but now I love her even more.

2.27.09 - 4:50 am

61. cassandra m -

weird things are happening with revolving doors. last week my friend got me stuck in one at an airport and she got in trouble by security…ha.ha. I got out fast and walked quickly away from her, ignoring her pleas to acknowledge her…ha.ha….LOL.

2.27.09 - 5:20 am

62. allie -

LOVE the kisses & disses!!

2.27.09 - 5:30 am

63. LeeAnn Townsend -

We love Alaska Airlines too!!!

2.27.09 - 5:47 am

64. Crystal Molina -

My Mom recently told me about a similar story that happened to her in a revolving door at work. She was telling me how she’s surprised more people don’t get hurt in them.

I love this post because I can so relate to having things like that happen and it’s nice to know I’m in good company. 🙂 By the way, we still think you’re cool.

2.27.09 - 5:02 pm

65. carla Ten Eyck -

go a-HEAD referencing the Vitruvian Man

gimme a ‘kiss’ cuz I knew what that was, come on

2.28.09 - 3:29 am

66. Karen Slate -

Love your "Kisses and Disses" posts; this one makes me want to stay away from revolving doors!
    Thanks for sharing about Natalie Portman. So refreshing to read about someone with a heart. Totally enjoy reading your blog. It is like you are sitting right next to the reader!

2.28.09 - 2:08 pm

67. Ashley Rose -

So i have this horrid fear of getting caught in a revolving door! I would have flipped out 🙂
    its still a funny story, but i am glad you lived to tell the tale!

3.2.09 - 4:49 pm

68. Jenny Sun -

I’ve just finished up an INSANE week as well… and I was finally in my own bed last night. Can’t tell you how great that felt. Btw, that story about natalie portman is just beautiful – love love love real accessible celebrities! You included 🙂

3.3.09 - 1:32 am

69. jesi haack -

how funny! we were in Portland at the same time and we flew Alaska too! hope you had a blast!

3.3.09 - 10:02 pm