Kisses and Disses : Revolving Doors and My Bed

Oh yes. Yes. It’s that time again. This week’s installment of Kisses and Disses comes right before I’m about to leave for an afternoon shoot. I’m headed to Santa Monica and the cloudy weather is just stunning…although it does make me want to curl up with a cup of tomato soup and read instead of being on the road again. Perhaps I’ll make it back with enough time to do it all. And if anyone says anything about the peculiarity of tomato soup, I’ll throw a tomato at you! 😉

This week’s DISSES go to…
*Me. Yesterday I got caught in a revolving door. No, really, I was caught. The automatic door kept pushing my clavical deeper into the stationary door and I look to JD in a state of panic. I was literally stuck. He pushed the emergency release button and an alarm sounded. Once the pressure of the automatic door released, I squeezed past. Major, major diss for being so uncool.
*The scale. I’m sure it’s broken. It must be. OR ITS A LIAR!

This week’s KISSES go to…
*Alaska Airlines. I adore this airline! Every time I fly Alaskan, I have the most pleasurable experience. I arrived 25 minutes early to Portland and the make things better, the flight attendant gave me an extra snack bag of pretzels. They love me!
*Natalie Portman. Yes, as in the actress. After I flew home from Portland yesterday, JD and I drove to Los Angeles to visit his sister at Children’s Hospital. Jade, JD’s eight-year-old sister, has special needs and underwent surgery and was hospitalized by the time we arrived home. Thankfully, she’s doing well, but as she recuperated in the children’s play zone, I saw Natalie Portman in a nurse apron singing and laughing with the kids. She cleaned toys and wiped chins…all while keeping her head down and not creating a stir. She was just as beautiful as she is on the movie screen, but her heart made her stunning.
*My bed. The past couple weeks I’ve slept in hotel beds more than my own. When I crept into bed last night, I stretched out like the Vitruvian Man and soaked it all in.

Happy Wednesday!

1. Olivia

February 25th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Love these posts!

2. Deyla Huss Photography

February 25th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Love the Banners you made for Disses and Kisses, Crack me up! My diss would be getting my coat belt stuck in the escalator! UGH! So embaressing!

3. kelly Brown

February 25th, 2009 at 5:44 pm

aww, this makes me love natalie portland, even more (which i didn’t know was possible!)

4. Catie Ronquillo

February 25th, 2009 at 5:49 pm

I once got stuck in a bathroom in France because the lock broke. I totally feel your pain! No windows, no escape. Thank God I had a cell phone! I love these posts, so fun 🙂

February 25th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

My cousin has spent much of her short life in a hospital, and I respect people like Natalie Portman who help to make things better! Go her!

6. Jackie L.

February 25th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Awe, Natalie Portman is beautiful.

7. B

February 25th, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Kiss: To JD and Jazzy for coming over for dinner last night.
    Diss: To all the amazing food we ate. Yes, your scale AND my scale are broken.

8. Kristin Mizo

February 25th, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Yay! You listened to me about the banners…I knew you would 🙂 I LOVE tomato soup…and Natalie Portman! I think she is so beautiful…and smart…and humble…and apparently giving.

9. Meghan

February 25th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I LOVE that you’ve brought back these posts! Hope JD’s sister is doing well. P.S. I hate revolving doors too – my mom was in one in S.F. way back when and the door shattered with her inside. Neither of us use them EVER.

10. Stephanie Stewart

February 25th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I hope you have a wonderful shoot, and that you get to enjoy your tomato soup later – it is so good! Love the Vitruvian Man reference!

11. Nelly Soares

February 25th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

..So now you HAVE to watch Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, one of my favorite feel good movies

12. michelle sidles

February 25th, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Vitruvian? Huh? Is it just me?! 😉

13. Shannon K

February 25th, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Now why can’t that kind of celebrity news make it out into the world? Thanks for sharing!

14. Marisa

February 25th, 2009 at 7:54 pm

i laughed out loud at the mental image of you getting stuck in the door…i couldn’t help it. i would totally do something like that…AND although i am a huge alaska airlines fan, have you flown virgin america yet? FANTASTIC!!

15. Candace Prokopets

February 25th, 2009 at 8:12 pm

That’s the first thing I blogged about when I got home from WPPI and a quick trip to the Grand Canyon – my bed! But specifically, my pillows. I like my pillows kind of flat and hotels always have these huge pillows. Welcome home! It was great getting to meet you in Vegas.

16. Jackie P

February 25th, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I don’t usually comment, but I’m LOL picturing you stuck in a revolving door. I laughed at myself when I got stuck in a car wash, the doors went down and wouldn’t go up. I had to call someone to call the car wash and let me out. Gotta love those moments!

17. jeramy

February 25th, 2009 at 8:27 pm

tomato soup is a comfort food for sure….grilled cheese sandwich too!

18. Kare

February 25th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I know it’s wrong, but my first thought about the revolving door was… didn’t JD have his camera to get a shot of that? sorry *hangs head in shame*

19. Jeanette Sanchez

February 25th, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Fun post for sure, keep them coming!

20. Seini

February 25th, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Home sweet home! Like you our bed here outbeats any hotel room….I just wish I had a magic wand to clean up my home which 4 kids and a husband had free reign over while away at WPPI:)

21. liam hennessey

February 25th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

photography blog AND a Natalie Portman mention. KISSES for sure!
    This keeps getting better every day Jasmine!

22. Patrick

February 25th, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I am crazy about Alaska air. Ok being from NJ the only real time I was on it was going to Alaska from Seattle. Ok so twice I got to fly it and the leg room is amazing!! I am 6’4" so that leg room on that long of a flight is key.

23. angie b.

February 25th, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Wow…found your blog and LOVE it! I think I am slightly obssessed with not just your pictures but your writing ablilty. Keep it comin’ girl!
    I will be back!

24. -april

February 25th, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I think you just hit a memory point for me. Olive Garden? View of the 60 freeway? Sounds of freight trucks? Was the Olive Garden at Puente Hills in the City of Industry?

25. Jasmine Marie

February 25th, 2009 at 11:36 pm

This is so ironic because I was just flipping through your old blog (the blogspot one) and was fondly remembering how you used to do Kisses/Disses. And then when I clicked back to this blog, I had to do a double-take! How funny! 🙂

26. Lindsay Kipp Photography

February 26th, 2009 at 12:07 am

MMMmmm…. tomato soup! I shared that and a grilled cheese sandwich with my son yesterday for lunch and it was mmm… mmm… good! I hope you get to have your bowl too!

27. Becka Knight

February 26th, 2009 at 12:21 am

I can’t believe Natalie Portman was just there, right in front of you. I have such a girl crush on her.

And tomato soup is our date night fav!

28. Ashley Mauro

February 26th, 2009 at 12:59 am

Love it!! I feel like you and Natalie Portman could be best friends, seriously! So sweet, so cool and just down to earth.

29. Hanssie Trainor

February 26th, 2009 at 1:16 am

1. Tomato soup rocks! I have a great tomato basil soup recipe add some grilled cheese sandwiches..yum, heaven!

2. LMAO about picturing you vs. the revolving door

3. I love people that give back and serious points to Natalie in book!

4. The MGM grand beds were pretty comfy if you ask me…not as great as my bed of course, but I can’t complain!

30. Cathy Crawley

February 26th, 2009 at 1:35 am

I *heart* your Natalie Portman story, how beautiful!

31. Simone

February 26th, 2009 at 2:15 am

Mmmmm, tomato soup. I love it with cut up cheddar cheese in it and then it gets all meltly-like.
    Sorry to hear about the revolving door. Did you kick it when you got out? 😉

32. kate

February 26th, 2009 at 3:38 am

I can’t see the pictures, boo :[ but yeah for natalie portman!

33. jackie wonders

February 26th, 2009 at 3:39 am

holy macrole jasmine…the revolving door is hillarious! it’s SOOOO something i could imagine myself doing 🙂

34. Feuza

February 26th, 2009 at 4:18 am

Are there pictures with this post? can not view them, love the Kisses and even the Disses

35. Linda Truong

February 26th, 2009 at 7:14 am

I LOLed hard @ the revolving doors. Bimbo moment, no? Did you do like a really cool dance after wards to cover up?

36. sasha

February 26th, 2009 at 10:23 am

hi Jasmine! i love tomato soup =)
    i can’t see the pictures though. =(

37. Gail Elaine

February 26th, 2009 at 10:48 am

I love your work. You are very inspiring. I review your blog regularly to keep me motivated.
    Anyway, I can’t seem to view the automatic door photo’s from any computer… they are all little red x’s. Take care and blessed be

38. Bobbie Brown

February 26th, 2009 at 12:28 pm

haha! you make me laugh!

39. Stephanie Greenwell

February 26th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Bless your heart! That sooo sounds like something that would happen to me. I’m a hazard always waiting to happen and usually it does. Trip over air. Check. Shut my fingers in doors. Check. Fall on my butt(more than my fair share!). Check. Glad you can find such humor. Glad to hear JD’s sis is doing well and that even stars make good on their celebrity, much like you and JD. 😉 God Bless you both!

40. michelle cunningham

February 26th, 2009 at 1:31 pm

see… that’s why i NEVER take the revolving door route. i always take the normal door right next to it. lol.

i can’t wait to get back to my own bed. it’s been 5 months since i’ve kept countenance on that heavenly mattress. i miss it so much.

41. brad

February 26th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

i can’t see the photos either? the others on earlier posts do show.

42. Linda

February 26th, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I thought I was the only one who could not see the pix.

43. Leah Charbonneau

February 26th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Love Kisses and Disses! Thanks! Oh, and don’t feel bad about the revolving door. I got caught in subway doors once and no one in the car tried to help. They just looked at me with pity. Very embarrassing!

44. faye

February 26th, 2009 at 3:18 pm

LOL, i run through those darn revolving doors! i’m always scared it’s going to hit me from behind and trip me.

45. Becky

February 26th, 2009 at 3:25 pm

That’s funny your scale and my scale must be in cahoots. Mine seems to be lying a lot lately too!

46. Leah Mullett

February 26th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I can’t see it either 🙁

47. Nancy Ramos

February 26th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Jasmine, the door incident sounds scary

48. Karen (Mikols) Bonar

February 26th, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Ok, the sticking out tongue … it freaks me OUT! now I want tomato soup.

49. brandi

February 26th, 2009 at 5:14 pm

so J* are those your lips? =) btw i LOVE tomato soup!

50. jeramy

February 26th, 2009 at 5:14 pm

you had me at ‘stuck in the revolving door’

51. Luke Goodman

February 26th, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Ha, I just made tomato basil soup! It was/is amazing. It was great meeting you at WPPI!

52. Ashley

February 26th, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Tomato soup is the best so no disses will be thrown about that! I get it every time I go to Boudin. Soooo good! And Natalie Portman? You are much cooler than I am bc I would have wanted to go take a picture with her! Love this kisses and disses feature.

53. Jonni

February 26th, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Hi Jasmine,

I just found your website recently and I have enjoyed reading your blog so much! Thank you for sharing so much of your workflow with us and your great stories. You are truly an inspiration.

I read your great post about the lenses you use but was wondering which lens do you find that you use the most? Thanks for any guidance you could give and thanks for all you do. You rock! 🙂

P.S. Congrats on your Fresh Blog win! You have a great looking blog.

54. Melissa

February 26th, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Laughing at the revolving door incident! Pretty nerdy! I can see myself doing that. ;o)

Love Natalie Portman. That is so sweet.

55. Kelly Braman

February 26th, 2009 at 9:37 pm

You are just too cute! I so enjoy reading little tidbits about your daily life and happenings~or mishaps!:)

56. barbara (soon to be dieppa)

February 26th, 2009 at 10:19 pm

awww… I’m a peds RN , so if you have any questions shoot me an email. Hope everything is ok…surgery is always scary, and always hard on the families. Sending you my well wishes

57. Brittney hale

February 27th, 2009 at 1:31 am

Could you be any cuter?!?! It always puts a smile on my face to read what you have to say. And all my love and well wishes to JDs sis and your family!!

58. Megan Beth

February 27th, 2009 at 2:32 am

you too…I hate revolving doors!! I’m always so afraid of getting trapped in the little triangular space of death 🙂

59. Jewelielyn

February 27th, 2009 at 2:33 am

i cannot believe revolving doors are legal! you are lucky to have escaped unharmed. thankfully your white knight was there . . .

60. Donavan Freberg

February 27th, 2009 at 4:50 am

I already loved Natalie Portman, but now I love her even more.

61. cassandra m

February 27th, 2009 at 5:20 am

weird things are happening with revolving doors. last week my friend got me stuck in one at an airport and she got in trouble by security…ha.ha. I got out fast and walked quickly away from her, ignoring her pleas to acknowledge her…ha.ha….LOL.

62. allie

February 27th, 2009 at 5:30 am

LOVE the kisses & disses!!

63. LeeAnn Townsend

February 27th, 2009 at 5:47 am

We love Alaska Airlines too!!!

64. Crystal Molina

February 27th, 2009 at 5:02 pm

My Mom recently told me about a similar story that happened to her in a revolving door at work. She was telling me how she’s surprised more people don’t get hurt in them.

I love this post because I can so relate to having things like that happen and it’s nice to know I’m in good company. 🙂 By the way, we still think you’re cool.

65. carla Ten Eyck

February 28th, 2009 at 3:29 am

go a-HEAD referencing the Vitruvian Man

gimme a ‘kiss’ cuz I knew what that was, come on

66. Karen Slate

February 28th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Love your "Kisses and Disses" posts; this one makes me want to stay away from revolving doors!
    Thanks for sharing about Natalie Portman. So refreshing to read about someone with a heart. Totally enjoy reading your blog. It is like you are sitting right next to the reader!

67. Ashley Rose

March 2nd, 2009 at 4:49 pm

So i have this horrid fear of getting caught in a revolving door! I would have flipped out 🙂
    its still a funny story, but i am glad you lived to tell the tale!

68. Jenny Sun

March 3rd, 2009 at 1:32 am

I’ve just finished up an INSANE week as well… and I was finally in my own bed last night. Can’t tell you how great that felt. Btw, that story about natalie portman is just beautiful – love love love real accessible celebrities! You included 🙂

69. jesi haack

March 3rd, 2009 at 10:02 pm

how funny! we were in Portland at the same time and we flew Alaska too! hope you had a blast!