Kisses+Disses : Gas Tanks + Mad Men

If you’d heard me babble in the past, you’d know I’m obsessed with gas. Like, obsessed in a way that prevents me from driving with less than half a tank. So one might imagine my horror when JD drives until the gas light appears. This might not be a big deal if he hadn’t run out of gas twice (once while on the freeway and I SAW MY LIFE FLASH BEFORE MY EYES), but his track record freaks me out.

And if you reeeeally know me, you’d know about that one time JD didn’t want to get gas before we left to a wedding and that conversation resulted in redefining our roles in the business, but let’s save that story for another post because it’s Monday and there aren’t enough CAP LOCKS and exclamation points I can use to convey my thoughts.

Last Friday we visited with our accountant (blech), but planned to spend the afternoon at the beach after the meeting (holllla!). Once we left the beach and made our way home, our car shook, stuttered, and puttered out. At a red light, our car wouldn’t start. AND THEN I SAW THE GAS GAUGE. For the third time in our lives, JD ran out of gas. Again. I slid into the driver’s seat (like a freaking pro) and JD pushed the car.

Once JD got back from the gas station, he turned to me and said I should be thankful because he taught me how to deal with running out of gas. Yup, that’s my husband. Finding a silver lining where there isn’t one…and teaching me how to drive in neutral.

This leads me to another installment of Kisses and Disses

This week’s DISSES go to…
*Less than half-full gas tanks. After three run-outs, am I not justified in being precautious?!
*Taxes. It’s April…how could I not diss Uncle Sam?
*Throwing out my back. Yes, again…

This week’s KISSES go to…
*The Hunger Games Movie. Of course, a movie is never as good as the book, but this film came really darn close and Katniss is my new best friend.
*Birthday Week. We’ve been celebrating since last Friday (nothing says aging with grace like pushing a car through Friday traffic!) because this week I’m ringing in another year of my life!
*Mad Men. I know, I’m just another person tooting of this show’s awesomeness, but let’s be real…Don Draper? He could star in a half-baked sitcom and I’d still watch…while dabbing the dribble from my chin. I’m sure he never runs out of gas. Oooooh, I just went THERE.

Happy Monday!

1. Summer

April 2nd, 2012 at 2:52 pm

How did I not know you were an Aries. It totally makes sense why I see so much of myself in your posts! I’m celebrating my birthday week too. 🙂

2. Life with Kaishon

April 2nd, 2012 at 3:32 pm

JD looks adorable putting gas in the car : ) Absolutely adorable. I think it was worth it for that picture alone!

3. Tami Inoue

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Hilarious!! I may or may not have run out of gas twice last year. Yeah, JD’s my new hero. 🙂 Ooooh yeah…and I just went THERE! 😀 I hope you’re back is feeling better! 🙁

4. Kimberly Murray

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m lending JD my nickname for my husband…"Mr. Positivity!" At least he didn’t run out of gas on your birthday. 😉

5. Donna

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I am in your camp of "never less than a 1/2 tank" I go into full panic mode when I see the needle swaying past the midpoint…shame shame on JD 😉

6. Haley Johnston

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I so love that you snapped this photo of JD! So funny! Maybe he will learn this time? 🙂

7. The New Diplomat's Wife

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:27 pm

he he he. i think i’m the JD in my own relationship. also, knowing what to do when you’re out of gas – or when you’ve clipped the sideview mirror on thar parking column for the second time – are very good life skills.

8. Shannon K.

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thinking of you tow in that situation (running out of gas), as you described is freaking hilarious!

And for the record…I’m the same way with gas. I’ll never pass a gas exit while on the freeway if I’m less than half full 😉 Maybe it’s the Aries in us!!

9. Suzette James

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:28 pm

OMG, out of gas AGAIN?!?! Lol

10. May

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:29 pm

That’s Hilarious!! At least you learned something.. Driving in N mode!

11. Riyazi

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:32 pm

LOL – a very amusing read. Totally relate to JD as I am one of those men who waits until the light comes on while suffering looks of angst and "should we not get gas" comments from the wife.

But once I came very close ("single hair breadth" close) to stalling in the middle of a single lane traffic jam which changed my stance a bit. I still wait till the light comes on but not too long thereafter 😀

12. Erika Plummer

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I am so with you on the gas! My Dad made it a rule in our house – never less than a half a tank. Then whilst in traffic school for the umpteenth time (we can discuss speeding on another post haha!) the nice officer related the many fatalities associated with you guessed it – running out if gas!!!! So you are NOT crazy!!! Keep that tank full !!

13. Kimberly butler

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Haha! I love you Jasmine, you’re such a great story teller. Poor JD, when will men learn their mistakes? At least he was optimistic about it. Gotta love ’em!

14. Alexis

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Aww, at least you ran out of gas TOGETHER and you didn’t have to deal with it alone. 🙂 I’m sorry you threw out your back! I hope you recover soon! 🙂 God bless you and your loved ones, J*! 🙂

15. Katie

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I have only run out of gas once.. I bought a new car that had those digital gas tanks readings with the bars, and I know in my old cars I could go just past E and still have a good 20 miles left before I really ran out… little did I know that is NOT the case with the silly bars. When you’re out of bars there is no extra 20 miles, there is 0 miles… UGH. Luckily I was diganol from a gas station so I bought a gas can and then spent 30 minutes trying to assemble it in order to put the gas in my tank. I switched my car to a dial gas tank a little after that and still play with the suspence of being on E from time to time. 😉 So I totally feel JD. Haha. Good on you for not booting JD out of the car though. OH and The Hunger Games movie, probably one of the few movies that really tried to stick to the book.. I think they should have just went on ahead and made it a three hour movie to get the details in though! 🙂 I would not have complained, though my fiance would have. Hehe.

16. vasia

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Bahaha… hilarious as usual. I’ve never seen Mad Men… am I crazy or something? I guess I better watch and see what all the fuss is about.

17. Rachel Leigh Greene

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’m so glad you liked the movie even though you read the book :). I did too! I thought they did an excellent job :).

18. Lizzy Reiber

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Running out of gas has to be one of my biggest nightmares. That and losing all my teeth.

Thanks for the giggles!

19. Sara

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:49 pm

HAHAHA, Jasmine!!! This made me laugh and laugh and laugh. In our marriage, I’m the one always walking the gas light line. So my husband feels your pain.

Side note: I’d be sitting right there with you with dribble on my chin. Oh, Don.

20. Maggie Fortson

April 2nd, 2012 at 4:55 pm

You make running out of gas sound fun! haha 🙂 Glad y’all are safe!

21. Donna M Kennedy

April 2nd, 2012 at 5:07 pm

My husband does the same thing. He waits until the light comes on tells me we can still go 10,000 miles more. He knows how much it upsets me but he still does it.

Once I got a new used car and we drove it down to see his folks in Virginia. I left to get my nails done and I knew that I needed gas too. Nails came first and guess what I ran out of gas! My in-laws never let me forget that "E" means empty not enough.

22. Sue Gauthier

April 2nd, 2012 at 5:10 pm

?? }{aPpY BiRtHdAy jAsMiNe ??

23. ashley barnett

April 2nd, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I have an irrational fear of running out of gas too…. but on second thought, it’s not really irrational because where we live there are tunnels and hi-rise brides… and let me tell you, if you are the person that stops traffic and causes 2 hour delays in the tunnels because you ran out of gas? You might as well change your license plates and get a new car, because people will REMEMBER.

24. Faith Cherisse

April 2nd, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Jasmine, you are so funny!! JD sounds like an excellent teacher on how to handle running out of gas 🙂

25. Robert Gunter

April 2nd, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Jasmine, I agree with you that keeping your gas tank full is the way to go when it comes to work. I adopted the boy scout motto for many years, "Be prepared." End of story. Glad everyone is safe. I think the gas tank going to empty is a man thing. They want to see just how far the vehicle will go when the warning light comes on.

26. Marlene

April 2nd, 2012 at 5:35 pm

First of all, let me start off by thanking you for starting off my Monday with a GOOD laugh to the point where my cheeks hurt! In my home, the roles are reversed, I’m the one who waits to see the gas gauge on E for "Echale". It drives my husband insane especially on Sunday mornings driving to church on fumes…BTW, has JD "taught" you how to save gas driving down a hill, turning off the engine and throwing it on neutral? smh…

27. Jim Denham

April 2nd, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Happy Birthday Jasmine! Sorry about the running out of gas issues, but life could be worse, right? It’s my birthday today, so cool that we share the same week for our birthdays!

28. Laura

April 2nd, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I love your new pin it button!

29. Carrie

April 2nd, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I sure hope you have AAA..unfortunately, i’ m pretty sure you get your monies worth!!!! Happy birthday!

April 2nd, 2012 at 6:39 pm

At least he’s willing to get out and push the car himself! But I gotta agree, you have enough stories about running out of gas to last the rest of your lives! 😉

31. Ashley Goodwin

April 2nd, 2012 at 7:03 pm

And JD? He just takes big risks. CAN’T FAULT HIM FOR THAT. But I’m going to get blamed if he ever uses that line to you, huh? xo HAPPY ALMOST YOUR BIRTHDAY! I’ll send you a Harry Potter book! 😉

32. Tattle tail

April 2nd, 2012 at 7:18 pm

btw, JD offered up his second shooter job on FB the other day…just sayin!

33. Troy Grover

April 2nd, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Happy Birthday girl!!

34. Aimee

April 2nd, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Happy Birthday!

35. NM

April 2nd, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I do this all the time…drive with a gas light on. I can’t explain why I don’t get enough gas knowing it is getting low.

36. Barbara Marcella

April 2nd, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I agree The Hunger Games was awesome!! Happy Birthday!<3

37. Jennifer Rice

April 2nd, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Happy Birthday my dear!!!

38. Lisa P.

April 4th, 2012 at 3:33 am

Happy birthday week Jasmine!

39. cassandra-m

April 4th, 2012 at 4:51 am

Oh my goodness….poor JD. I can see this not be brushed under the carpet for awhile….ha ha. At least it was adventure together for u guys…

40. Arthur Nuguid

April 4th, 2012 at 9:11 am

haha! I can totally relate eventhough me and my wife have never ran out of gas! Im mr fill up the tank when it hits the quarter mark but of course the love of my life is obsessed with the gas light! haha! awesome post!

41. Gail

April 4th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

How can you get mad at him when he looks THAT adorable refilling a gas tank? Oh JD, love you! (and Jas, I can commiserate…while we’ve never ACTUALLY run out of gas, Nick’s pushed it CLOSE a few times!)

42. Jessica K. Sullivan

April 4th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Lol! Have a blessed birthday Jasmine!

43. Yarra Valley Wedding Photography

April 8th, 2012 at 10:45 am

JD makes me laugh – I’m pretty good at running out of gas too. I need the warning light to be on before I fill up – it feels like I’m maximising my time and not filling up every other day!

44. Robert

April 18th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

OMG!, its good to know I am not the only that drives a car until the gas light lights up!

45. Jennifer Renee

April 28th, 2012 at 1:33 am

This happened to me the other day. I couldn’t start the car and had no idea why and then happened to look at the gas gauge and oops!