Kisses+Disses : In Laws + Sketchers

Family is a crazy thing. You’re biologically linked to someone, yet there are times when you might wonder if the stork left you on the wrong doorstep. Or maybe that’s just me. I’m also a twin who insists if I didn’t look so much like my sister there’s no way we’d be related. Or friends for that matter. It’s just that we’re so different, disagree about everything, yet we’re forced to kiss and makeup because THAT’S WHAT SISTERS DO. At least that’s what my mom said.

Now, in-laws? Well, that’s a whole other enchilada because, really, you pick them. When choosing a spouse, you also choose in-laws. And you somehow make it work. Yesterday was my father-in-law’s birthday and I tweeted the following:

This, of course, led to questions and accusations on the internet from friends, but allow me to clarify: He wanted those shoes!! He causally mentioned it during dinner one night. I’m a great listener. Duh.

JD took responsibility and bought his dad a birthday gift and it was received with sincere appreciation. I, however, would like to point out that while my father-in-law opened the gift, HE WAS ALSO WEARING THE SKETCHERS I BOUGHT HIM FOR CHRISTMAS.

This leads me to another installment of Kisses and Disses

This week’s DISSES go to…
*Parking tickets in Philadelphia. We were tourists…how were we supposed to know how far to park from a stop sign?!
*The History Channel. For causing my husband to lose hours of his life watching the documentaries about aliens and/or monks. Or worse, alien monks.
*Peeta and Gale in the casting of The Hunger Games Movie. I’m on board with everyone else, but they totally missed the mark with my two favorite boys!

This week’s KISSES go to…
*Herbal tea, Vicks Vapor Rub, saline nasal spray, the green goop I swallowed from a dark bottle of potion I bought from a pedlar in Costa Rica. They aided in my road to health.
*California. For being a state of abundant fresh food, sunshine, and people weirder than me.
*My father-in-law for proving my point.

Happy Friday!

1. Nessa K

May 13th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Parking tickets -anywhere- are no good and I second herbal tea, as well! I hope you’re feeling 100% again!

2. Amy

May 13th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Oh geez…teh Philadelphia parking tickets! My hubby is army and we moved here last fall with the army…his parking ticket last week for running over the 20 min limit (which we didnt know about) by FIVE minutes was 43.00 after paying it online! lol

3. Jen Owens

May 13th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Haha! ‘a whole other enchilada’. You make me smile so much 🙂 Happy Friday!

4. Mike in Philly

May 13th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Clearly you haven’t been watching "Parking Wars" on A&E. Philadelphia has become quite the enforcement zone for parking offenses (and it isn’t helping the tourists, or natives).

5. Shannon Karczewski

May 13th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Wasn’t Peeta WAY blonde and a little curly???? What the heck is up with the straight and dark hair on their pick. Misfire.

6. Aimee

May 13th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

🙂 Love your "BOO YAH!" I say that all the time!!!

7. Damaris Mia

May 13th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Bahahahahaha. Loved this installment! You have to park a certain distance from stop signs?! Don’t they have red paint on the curbs over there? LOL

8. Kate Douthwright

May 13th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Get on with your bad self and your listening skillz! Can I have some of that potion from Costa Rica? I am dying over here, I’ll take anything at this point!

9. Abby Grace Photography

May 13th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Hahahah I thought the Sketchers Tweet was SO HILARIOUS! Seriously, one of the best things I’ve heard in a while.

10. Kat

May 13th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Even w the devestating casting of Peeta and Gale…will I see The Hunger Games Trilogy multiple times and love it?

Some may call me a sell out.

I. Don’t. Care.

11. Dee Gorsuch

May 13th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Oh my word, this was a funny post. Absolutely love the Kisses and Disses. Thanks for sharing. 😀

12. Dana L

May 13th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I got a ticket at my wedding this weekend too! You must watch Parking Wars on A&E- it’s hilarious. It’s about the PPA in Philly, it’s great. You’ll see that everyone hates them.

13. Bianca

May 13th, 2011 at 5:37 pm

We totally wouldn’t be friends if momma didn’t make us be best friends. Truth in love, sissy 😉

14. lroah

May 13th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more on the Hunger Games casting of the two boys…. hoping to be impressed, because didn’t picture those two!

15. Sandra Fazzino

May 13th, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Oh, I’m diggin’ the disses and kisses today. Thank you for the good laugh this morning. My whole theme these past two months has been "perception" and "perspective" and respecting that EVERYONE has varying opinions and points of view. Trying so hard not to be right, but to respect and be respected wether I’m/we’re right or wrong or something in between. The sketchers and the sister stories match this running theme to a tee. Buon weekend and thanks as always for sharing!!

16. Liz Bedwell

May 13th, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Jasmine, You crack me up! Have a fabulous Friday! 🙂

17. Kelly Dillon

May 13th, 2011 at 5:50 pm

OMG I never usually comment on your blog because, I mean seriously, who am I, Comment #543? ANYWAY, I LOVE The Hunger Games and I cannot wait for the movie!! I totally agree about Peeta and Gale, but I think they def hit the mark on foxface, prim and rue!!

We should totally see it together in Boston 🙂

18. SarahV

May 13th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Jasmine, you must watch some back episodes on TLC (I think) about the Philadelphia Parking Enforcement – they are el Diablo! The people on the show get soooo worked up, and I know I would too. I’d be having whiny fits at their ri-donk-ulous tickets and policies. Sorry you were their victim!

19. Elsie

May 13th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Ahhhh Philly…my hometown that leaves everyone with a bitter taste in their mouth. LOL!
    Sorry Jasmine, but hey at least you didn’t ge towed! That would have run you about $200+!

20. Pua

May 13th, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Hmm..I agree with you on the Peeta/Gale casting..not what I pictured them like at ALL. 🙁 Still stoked for the movie! Love this post!

21. Columbus Georgia Wedding Photographer

May 13th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

LoL. One of the funniest K & D’s yet. Love how you dissed on parking tickets in Philadelphia. There’s actually a show on TV I think called, "Parking Wars," It’s dedicated to the patrol people who write all those people tickets in Philly. Pretty funny sutff.

22. Shyla

May 13th, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I think Peeta looks too much like Harry Potter 🙁 So sad at who they chose… definitely not the men of my hunger games dreams.

23. April Merrick

May 13th, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I have to admit that while my mother-in-law only bought me some Dove soap for Christmas, I HAD MENTIONED that I have sensitive skin and most soaps break me out. It’s all about how you spin it!!

24. Sharma Shari

May 13th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Glad to here you are feeling a little better!

25. Katie

May 13th, 2011 at 8:55 pm

OH Y GOD I KNOW ABOUT PEETA AND GALE!!! but but but I LOVE Rue and Effie charters castings!!! 🙂

26. clarivel.ann

May 13th, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Jasmine– you know what’s up! 🙂

27. Ashley Gillett

May 13th, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Me too!! I mean, come on. I though Peeta was supposed to be a strapping young man. Maybe the guy who they cast as Gale, who is very hot, should switch to Peeta’s role. That guy they picked for it is way too squirrely. I don’t get it. boo.

28. LEOLAK

May 13th, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Booyah…Love it!! You are too funny! Glad you are feeling better..bummer about the ticket. I better get to reading these Hunger Games..sounds like good stuff. Have a great Sunny Cali!

29. Kristen

May 13th, 2011 at 10:26 pm

As if I didn’t admire you enough you sealed the deal with your admiration of the Hunger Games Series ;o)

30. ReginaMarie

May 13th, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I didn’t even think to warn you, (when you’re used to something you almost forget about it and you just live in a paranoid state…) but yeah, Philadelphia Parking Authority is insane!!! (Hubby used to laugh and tease me when i talked about PPA, as he thought about the Parking Authority when I said it.)

31. Erin K.

May 13th, 2011 at 11:33 pm

As someone who drops not-so-subtle hints about the gifts I would like (should I have Canon tattooed to my forehead?) , I always appreciate it when someone picks up on those little things. It really shows how much you care.

32. Meredith

May 14th, 2011 at 12:57 am

Ohhh Jasmine – if you like herbal teas then you would love the Tlixir teas, a selection of amazing green teas. Check them out – their Iron Goddess is the best! Happy tea drinking xx

33. Briana Moore

May 14th, 2011 at 1:15 am

I was tooootally disappointed with the casting, but once I saw the following interview, I realized I can come around to Peeta if they get the hair right: It totally reminds me of how relaxed he was with Flickerman. 🙂

Who were you picturing? I always had Hunter Parrish & Ben Barned in my head.

34. kelsey {las vegas wedding photographer}

May 14th, 2011 at 2:56 am

I am a bit bummed with the Peeta choice 🙁

35. Life with Kaishon

May 14th, 2011 at 4:17 am

I wish you and JD would have been on that show Parking Wars when you were in Philadelphia. Wouldn’t that have been the coolest thing? I mean, if you had to get a ticket : ). I get them ALL THE FREAKING time. Seriously. One day I was in court and I had parked across from the court house. I got to court at 7:30 am and began putting money in the meter. Every 2 hours I put in $3. 7:30, 9:30, 11:30, 1:30, 3:30. My case was heard at 4:15 and was over around 4:30. I walked out to my car and there, lo and behold, was a FREAKING $185 ticket. $185?!?!?!!??! I was freaking out! I can’t figure out what I did wrong. When I got home I called my co worker to help me solve the mystery. Guess what? The street I had parked on, Vine Street, turns into an express highway lane at 4:30 pm. Apparently there is one sign WAY down at the end of the block. Who would ever know that though? Exactly.

36. Katelyn James

May 14th, 2011 at 4:56 am

Your comment made my MORNING! 🙂 muahhh! xoxo

37. Julia

May 14th, 2011 at 5:05 pm

They totally got Peeta right, but Gale is way off. 🙁

38. jb newcomb

May 14th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

HA! I <3 to be right, too 😉 What a sweetie you are…so thoughtful to get your father-in-law a gift he’d really appreciate.

39. JudyB

May 14th, 2011 at 7:31 pm

What is it with men and the History Channel??

40. feuza

May 14th, 2011 at 10:16 pm

hope you are feeling better

41. Jessica Sweeney

May 15th, 2011 at 8:31 am

I LOVE California. Nowhere else like it. I always say we should make our own country. Hey, we’d have wine, cheese, good music, great movies . . . what else do we need?

42. Kathleen

May 15th, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Yes, I love California. Me, a California girl for 19 years. (San Diego and Half Moon Bay) Still consider myself a California girl since living in the Chicago area for the past 10 months. I am not a fit in the Midwest. Nice people but too cookie cutter for this CA girl. I will live back in CA within 5 years. Someone rescue me. :). Searching good weirdness here in the meantime.

43. the photographer

May 16th, 2011 at 4:22 am

California is such a glamorous state. Have been to 31 states and not been there yet, but hope to get there soon! Beautiful Photography!

44. Isaac Stott

May 16th, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Agreed, vicks vapor rub is the greatest stuff on earth!

45. Kathleen Clipper

May 17th, 2011 at 1:54 am

Hooray for Father-in-Laws who stick up for you and don’t even know it 🙂 You’re a GREAT gift giver because you give people what they want. Don’t let the others tell you otherwise <3

46. Jayme

May 17th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

They’re aliens, they’re monks, they’re ALIEN MONKS! Coming next month to SyFy — a J* production starring JD.

47. MaryBethB

May 18th, 2011 at 8:21 pm

ok, i am appalled after clickthing the hunger games cast link! the kids who is playing peeta could play gale, but other than that, i am extremely worried! peeta is supposed to be slightly unattractive but a stable choice, and they picked on of the hottest guys in hollywood! oh no…