Kisses+Disses : Jellyfish + Protein Bars

Personal

You know, for as much as I like the beach, I’ve come to realize she might not like me. I mean, really. If the Beach was a person, I’d call her into my office so we could hug it out. A couple weeks ago, while JD and I were swimming along the Gold Coast, I felt the strangest sensation…like a fire whip struck both my shins at once. I screamed. JD immediately turned around to gauge my drama-queenness as the shriek could’ve meant I was drowning, or I saw a Zac Efron lookalike.

At first I thought it was my imagination, but, no, something definitely happened. And I was in pain. That’s when JD saw the jelly fish swim away. He helped me from the water and while we inspected the severity of the sting, large red welts formed across both my legs. Wow, this fish had it in for me. I think I embarrassed JD because I walked with my feet turned out in a slight squat, like I just got off riding a horse for 14 hours. This was CLEARLY not the impression I wanted to give to the Australian lifeguards. Oh, yes, help me…I’m John Wayne’s stand-in.

They sprayed a solution on my legs (why didn’t I shave today?!?!) and bid us a g’day. I hobbled back to our beach towels and winced from the embarrassment of it all. JD–ever the optimist–said, Well, look on the bright side: At least you got to talk with the lifeguards!

This leads me to another installment of Kisses and Disses

This week’s DISSES go to:
*Jellyfish. Of course.
*Australian lifeguards. I was hoping they’d carry me to my towel and offer to share their coconut sunscreen.
*Realizing the piece of floss you just cut was too short. Hate when this happens.

This week’s KISSES go to:
*Zac Efron. Because he’s scream-worthy.
*Think Thin protein bars. They’re low in sugar and surprisingly tasty…I mean, it’s no Snickers, but you don’t feel guilty liking the chocolate off your fingers later!

Happy Friday!

comments

1. lisa

February 18th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

jellyfish are sneaky! got stung myself and had the exact same reaction 🙂 love your kisses and disses posts!!

2. Carrie LeighAnna

February 18th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hahahaha! Jasmine, you’re hilarious! And yes, I hate the floss problem too.

3. Brooke

February 18th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I believe the cure for jellyfish sting is to have someone pee on it. Gross but true. 🙂 I’m sorry you got stung, those lifeguards totally should have carried you around for a few hours. Happy Friday!

4. Sarah DeShaw

February 18th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for this. Totally cracking me up this morning! 🙂

5. P E N N Y

February 18th, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Your colourful commentary always makes me smile. 🙂

6. Andrew

February 18th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love the taste/texture of Think Thin bars as well, though I found that their protein is all soy which isn’t highly recommended for men (great for women). I, consequently, changed to EAS protein bars with higher levels of whey protein and still tasty! Anyways, food for thought.

7. Kelly

February 18th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Ok, LOVE JD’s optimism..LOL…you guys are adorable!!! Sucks about the jfish though, but great to hear you got to chat with the lifeguards 😉

8. Candace Prokopets

February 18th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Love your writing! And it was great seeing you on the B School yesterday. Loved it!

9. Joseph Chan

February 18th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Very good slide show by Showit.com on Wedding Photography

10. kelsy mccartney

February 18th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

*thank you for the reminder that we all need to floss our teeth more
    *yes!!!! i LOVE think thin protein bars! try the little cookies & cream "bites" – they’re my fave!

11. Taina Cunningham

February 18th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

LOL!!! Thanks Jasmine, totally needed that laugh. You are HILARIOUS! Maybe you should take up Comedy along with Photography. Just a thought!

12. Monica

February 18th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I just love you, Jasmine! You make even a jellyfish sting sound so fun!! Lol….

13. Laura Stricklin

February 18th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

How great that you share uncomfortable moments. Oddly enough… I am more terrified od jellyfish than sharks!! 🙂

14. Aranda

February 18th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Can I just say that I LOVE how JD responds to you? It’s refreshing to know that he gets you, he’s not a jealous husband, and he knows that you love him most of all! Oh, and the floss thing, yeah, story of my life.

15. MartaV

February 18th, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Booo! to jellyfish. Like Brooke I remembered the peeing cure too and for just a second I was thinking NO! JD NO!. 🙂 Thanks for mentioning the Think Thin bars. I have been looking for a protein bar that actually had a decent amount of protein in it. These look good I am going to give it a try.
    Again, great job on the Bschool yesterday!

16. Jihan Cerda

February 18th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Yes! Think Thin for TJ’s?? Make sure you try the chunky peanut butter. Oooo and the chocolate brownie. I was ADDICTED at one point. =)

17. Carrie K

February 18th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Luna protein bars are really good too! They have 8-9g protein, folic acid, fiber and are 70-80% organic! Found at Target in the pharmacy section. 🙂

18. brianna

February 18th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

i’m pretty sure i was the one who turned you on to think thin bars. because i’m awesome. and so are they.

19. Christina Dely

February 18th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

First of all, I love this entire post! Hilarious! And second of all, I just discovered Think Thin bars & have been having them for breakfast every morning! Love pretending to eat candy bars in the morning 😉

20. naomi chokr

February 18th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

hahah! i thought you were going to say that JD said… "at least they didn’t pee on you" hahahahh gross i know… but thats how they take care of jelly fish sting too i heard.

I love think thin bars too!!!! my favorite!

21. Stephanie Moreland

February 18th, 2011 at 5:30 pm

You are hilarious!! laugh out loud. Anyway, peanut butter chocolate are my favorite think thin bar!

22. Mike

February 18th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I was stung by a jelly fish when I was a kid and it made the creepiest buzzing sound on my leg. Love your posts as usual!

23. christina {simply modern}

February 18th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

haha! i hope james doesn’t see this…otherwise the next time he sees you, he’ll share his wild theory about jellyfish are space aliens!

24. Michelle Lunn

February 18th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Ahhh! LOVE SHOWIT! Just launched my website and used one of the new style groups! 🙂 Much love to everyone at showit for all of their help!

25. Noa

February 18th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Goes to show: one should never get lazy about shaving one’s legs when going to the beach…. Australia or elsewhere! Because Murphy’s Law WILL bite you in the ass 🙂

26. Maïa

February 18th, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Not shaving your legs before going to the beach ? that’s a no no ! lol And after that you say you don’t share your real life with us ?? lol

27. Elizabeth

February 18th, 2011 at 7:32 pm

once, I had to have someone pee on my jelly sting. that my dear, is the most-est of embarrassing.

28. Kara Janelle

February 18th, 2011 at 7:38 pm

You are so aweseome Jasmine!! I seriously LOL’d at this post! 🙂

29. gaby Fuentes Photography

February 18th, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I was stung by a jellyfish while snorkeling in Key West, no hubbie to rescue me, no lifeguard to walk with me, but embarrassment? oh yeah. I hear your pain.

30. Emily Schumann

February 18th, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Those Think Thin bars sound pretty good! I might have to check ’em out 🙂 P.S., I was reading a blog post from another photographer who was complaining about how much he hates when photographers put too much of their person lives on their blogs. I have to say I totally disagree, I’d rather read your blog any day than some robot who doesn’t talk about themselves in the slightest. Which is I try to model myself after you, because I definitely don’t want to be a robot and have my blog be boring to others. Thanks for being a source of inspiration Jasmine <3

31. Emma Rhoades

February 18th, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Argh! Please don’t let that turn you off coming back to Aus!
    If you do come back, I’ll find some lifeguards to carry you around for a while and parade you up and down the beach!! Sorry about the jellyfish…they are terrible.

32. Crystal Heft

February 18th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Fun post Jasmine! I’m glad the Jellyfish didn’t do too much damage!

33. Lorrie Prothero

February 18th, 2011 at 9:09 pm

hmmm – make those lifeguards work – nearly drowning last trip, jellyfish this time… you sure these aren’t planned? they must be great looking lifeguards =)

34. Jessica ROzof

February 18th, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Love!

35. Sukhi

February 18th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thanks for the breath of fresh air post – so fun to read! I think I’m needing a think thin bar just about now.

36. Life with Kaishon

February 18th, 2011 at 9:49 pm

O
    u
    c
    h!!!!!

I screamed with you!
    Love, a fellow drama queen

37. Rebecca

February 18th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Sorry to hear you had the misfortune of of a jellyfish sting while you were here 🙁 They’re nasty!

38. Carrie Joy

February 18th, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Thank you so much for sharing on the B School last night. Loved watching you! I have to say that the most encouraging thing I heard you talk about was how you didn’t go into debt when you first started. I have seen so many other photographers in my area go into debt over equipment and it’s been discouraging for me who’s made the promise to slowly build my business up as I can afford it. Like you, my parents also taught me to never go into debt. Thank you for giving me hope and showing me that it can be done!

39. Brittany

February 18th, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Ha ha ha!! Jasmine, I laughed out loud at this post because I can totally picture your walk to the lifegaurds. Awesome!!

40. James

February 18th, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Jasmine, I’m sorry to hear about your jellyfish experience. You’re lucky JD was there because you would have been abducted. Jellyfish are space aliens and I don’t care what anyone says!

41. Yen

February 18th, 2011 at 11:10 pm

you’re so funny jasmine 🙂 JD often sounds like my own husband haha "at least you got to talk with the lifeguards!"

42. Tira J

February 18th, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Yikes! Glad you are okay. If you would have shaved your legs, it would have been worse when the handsome lifeguards sprayed the solution on them. Well, probably. You crack me up. I always "waste" some extra floss for the fear of running short. You were great on [b]school yesterday. I always learn something new from you every day. Thank you. xoxo

February 19th, 2011 at 12:25 am

Laughed hard at the third diss! I’ll have to see if I can find those thinkThin bars at the store. Recently tried Luna bars and loved them!

44. blue elephant photography

February 19th, 2011 at 12:28 am

you are definitely funny and very entertaining! have a wonderful weekend =)

45. Bethany

February 19th, 2011 at 12:41 am

yes, I may be twenty…something, but that darn Efron makes me squeal too!

46. Nathan Leduc

February 19th, 2011 at 12:59 am

Jelly Fish Stings are no fun. My wife got stung by one in Hawaii and had a similar reaction. Hope your doing better.

47. Kare

February 19th, 2011 at 2:27 am

Jellyfish stings are super nasty! Just the sight of jellyfish is enough to keep me out of the water.

48. Kristin Nicole

February 19th, 2011 at 2:42 am

Love it! Jellyfish are no fun, but at least you got to chill with the Aussie life guards.

49. Jackie Lamas

February 19th, 2011 at 3:23 am

Zac Efron is definitely scream worthy!

50. Jessica Sweeney

February 19th, 2011 at 4:01 am

I had a student get stung by a jellyfish once. We offered to have someone pee on her, but she wasn’t having it. Vinegar seemed to help, though. What did they give you?

51. Sara S

February 19th, 2011 at 4:10 am

Oh no! I was stung by a jellyfish on our honeymoon. Later my new father-in-law told me the "cure" and I realized there was something worse than getting stung on your honeymoon, getting stung and then peed on by your new husband!

52. Giovanna

February 19th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

HA! Loved the comment about the floss…funny enough when I first started following your blog I got this image in my head of the scene from "Prettty Woman" when Julia Roberts is flossing her teeth because of the strawberry seeds…"you shouldn’t neglect your gums" 🙂 That was a compliment about your beautiful teeth, not a suggestion of prostitution!!!

53. Ashley Cherie

February 19th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Sorry you got stung 🙁 And I too hate short pieces of floss. They annoy me. #bleh

54. Karisa

February 19th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I literally laughed out loud at the John Wayne comment. Hil-arious.

Also, I am actually attempting to use one of Promise’s new templates for showit. Which of course, being the web designer that I’m NOT, means changing the colors.

55. Carrie K

February 19th, 2011 at 9:02 pm

A couple questions for a possible Shooting Star episode: "Have you ever been sick the day of a shoot? If so, how do you deal?" Also, "I love the frame in your sister’s wedding photo booth. What’s a classy way of setting up something like that without using PVC pipe to hang the frame from? Any ideas would be really appreciated." Thanks Jasmine!

56. Salwa

February 20th, 2011 at 12:45 am

Hm, thanks for the tip on the protein bar – I always like trying new ones!

57. Christina Juleson

February 20th, 2011 at 2:32 am

Well it could have been worse, at least the life gaurd didn’t offer to pee on your leg and instead offered some other solution! 🙂

58. Joyce D.

February 20th, 2011 at 5:58 am

Your visuals are hilarious!!!

59. Adriana Morett

February 21st, 2011 at 1:06 pm

You’re right. Zach Efron is soooo scream-worthy! 😉 Sorry about the sting, big diss to those jellyfish!

60. amanda thiessen

February 21st, 2011 at 6:54 pm

not sure about efron haha but i do love me some showit!!

61. Elizath R

February 22nd, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Took a trip to Trader Joe’s and you are right on point anout the Think Thin protein bars! They are delish 😉