Kisses+Disses : Yoga + The Herbivore

As we made our way there, he turned to me and said, You better not show off and act like a pretzel. Yes, that’s JD. He imagines I’ll act like an inanimate object just to show how cool I am in yoga class. We’ve been together for 13 years and I’ve never–not once–convinced him to attend a class with me. Ever. In fact, he makes fun of my gym-going endeavors. But for some reason, I invited him to find his inner chi with me…because, really, I’m usually the one stealing his chi on a daily basis.

I’ll go with you if we can go to In-n-Out after.

I smiled. Here’s where the story diverges. He said the smile indicated yes, I said the smile indicated you’re crazy and I wouldn’t dream of eating a burger and fries after a midday workout.

After successfully completing an hour workout, JD asked if I was ready for In-n-Out. Then I pointed out a very healthy vegetarian option located nearby and I just knew he’d looooove it. I added all those o’s for emphasis. After some convincing (thanks to my days in law school), JD agreed to eat a grilled {soy} chicken sandwich.

I’m no longer gonna refer to myself as a vegetarian. After successfully convincing a carnivore to practice yoga and eat healthy in a single day, I’m referring to myself as an HERBIVORE. Because I’m all hard core and stuff.

Which leads me to another installment of Kisses and Disses

This week’s DISSES go to…
*The smell of BenGay…my bedroom smells like a high school locker room right now.
*The Santa Ana winds. There’s so much dust in the air my car looks like a professional off-roader.
*Folding a fitted sheet…is it possible for it to end up as anything other than a rolled up ball?!

This week’s KISSES go to…
*Yoga. For enabling me to show off…LIKE A PRETZEL.
*Fondue. I wish it were the base of the food pyramid…I could eat melted cheese for days.
*Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen. And, yes, this proves my horrible taste in television, but I adore Andy and secretly wish we were friends in real life so he’d send me a bedazzled Mazel t-shirt.

1. Katie Trujillo

February 3rd, 2012 at 3:24 pm

OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Andy Cohen and Watch What Happens Live- it’s on my DVR and I crack up every single night at his Jack Hole of the Week/Day and his facial expressions. This post made me laugh…..(P.S. my fitted sheets end up in rolls too) grrrrrr!

2. Michele

February 3rd, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Ok, I am also die hard into yoga and have not brought my hubby to a class yet. I feel so protective of it and I am afraid he will be amazing at his first class and say "so, WHY is this hard". LOL! Love your photography girlie but it’s your writing that brings me back for more…. Keep up the amazing work 🙂

3. Katie

February 3rd, 2012 at 3:37 pm

To fold a fitted sheet, Martha knows best.

4. Jenelle Sewell

February 3rd, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Bah…those fitted sheets are the worst. Unless you’re Martha Stewart, they will look like a ball as you described.

5. Neha

February 3rd, 2012 at 4:03 pm

How funny!!! I secretly wish Andy was my BFF too!! Is it sad to say that I watch the show all the time and wish one day to be on it?!

6. Jennifer

February 3rd, 2012 at 4:05 pm

oh I love Yoga – didn’t what to do without it (same for cheese fondue but that is another story) – did you ever try Bikram Yoga ? You should and you are more like a knot than a pretzel after that

7. Laura

February 3rd, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Oh, Jasmine, this made me laugh so hard, because my husband staunchly refuses to go to yoga with me after a couple of "miserable attempts," and watching me "be so flexible." Good for JD. And on that note, I’m heading off to my yoga class. 🙂

8. Rachel Tatem

February 3rd, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Pretty sure everyone’s version of folding fitted sheet looks like a ball… Right?

9. ami

February 3rd, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Haha! I was just thinking about how much I love Andy Cohen too! That bedazzled mazel t-shirt was nice, but how about that blinged out pickle, eh? Eh? Kiiiing kiiing of midnight fuuun! Wow, it’s too early to be acting this crazy.

10. Kate Douthwright

February 3rd, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Umm, I am completely obsessed with Andy Cohen! So much that I own a mazel tshirt and mug! Yeah, I just admitted that to all of your readers… If I had to play plea the fifth, I might plea the fifth on that question!

11. Kacie Lynch

February 3rd, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I find nothing more satisfying than folding a fitted shit. It’s that same feeling you get when wrapping gift with patterned wrapping paper, and you get the pattern to line up. It’s… awesome.

12. Katie

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I LOOOOOOOOVE WATCH WHAT HAPPENS LIVE!!! It i always ALWAYS soo entertaining and hilarious and perfect. I was just saying the other day that Andy Cohen has the best job ever (Watch What happens Live) and the worst job ever (the real housewives reunion shows… draaaaama)!!!!

13. Susana Cristina

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:10 pm

We really need a blog perspective of the class and the grilled soy chicken sandwhich from JD. By the way… everything tastes much better with melted cheese! Have a great weekend!

14. Jeni Brower

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:11 pm

ah- I love every bit of it. My favorite is your 2 different perspectives about your smile. That’s marriage for ya! But, he knows what’s best for him & went with your view 😉

15. May

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:19 pm

FOndue (chocolate and cheese) ARE on MY food Pyramid!! at the very bottom of it 🙂

16. Kat Harris

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Girl my little honda looks like I left it deserted for days in the Sahara desert, and somehow there’s dirt inside my car. Santa Ana Winds you are very offensive.

17. Tammy

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:21 pm

<3 LOVE <3 your personality, attitude, enthusiasm AND your gift to blog on a regular basis. You’ve just inspired me to write/blog more often. Thank you!!!

18. joan solitario

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Jasmine!! hahah I actually learned how to fold a fitted sheet 2 years ago hahahahaha here’s a link for you :D:

19. LEOLAK

February 3rd, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Too funny…I love your kisses and disses posts! I said the SAME THING about fitted sheets the other day while folding some! Such a pain! Okay…we’d so be friends in real life "versus just the internet life"…I watch Andy Cohen too…and the Housewives (except DC and Miami were both complete busts!!) Happy Friday!

20. ashley barnett

February 3rd, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I am currently trying to convince Jeremy to work out with me now too. Well, by work out, I mean any other activity besides playing each other in scrabble on our phones in bed. It’s sad really!! I’m going to casually email him this blog link today! 🙂 Have a great weekend Jasmine!

21. Gris

February 3rd, 2012 at 6:38 pm

LOL I have never been able to relate to ALL your Kisses and Disses but today I do! The winds, the sheets uggh! A perfect day for me would be to start off with a Hot Yoga class, then eat Fondue, cheese and chocolate! and finish it off sitting on my couch watching Andy!

22. Bethany Ann

February 3rd, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Fitted sheets that I fold are rolled up balls! Haha! That’s my idea of "folding" them. 🙂 I bought my ticket for The Fix in Nashville and I’m so looking forward to meeting you and JD! Oh, and learning, too! 😉 Have a great weekend!

23. Terri

February 3rd, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Life it too short to fold fitted sheets!

24. Erin Schrad

February 3rd, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Heck, yeah! Love me some Andy Cohen! I’m addicted to Bravo "reality" TV… Housewives, Zoe, Jeff Lewis, Brad… I think because they all make me feel sane! ;o)

25. Karen

February 3rd, 2012 at 11:12 pm

But In-n-Out is soooo good!

26. Christina Shumway

February 3rd, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Oh how I love Mr. Cohen and wishes we were friends, too. When Jimmy Fallon is on – I am in heaven!! : )

27. Life with Kaishon

February 4th, 2012 at 1:04 am

: ) I bet he would send one if you asked him. I will tweet your post to him.

PS Did he like the sandwich?

28. Kimberly

February 4th, 2012 at 2:03 am

JD doesn’t get a kiss for going to yoga AND foregoing an In N Out burger?!

29. Shannon Rosan

February 4th, 2012 at 5:33 am

Just so you know…In my house, fondue is completely healthy and is totally the base of the food pyramid 🙂

30. Shelley

February 5th, 2012 at 3:36 am

Ok, so I just finished reading this post and then went straight on to pinterest. What did I find in the first few pins? How to fold fitted sheets! I had to come back and comment and leave you a link 🙂
    P.S. Thanks for all your amazing inspiration, motivation, and openness to other photographers. It is beyond what most people are willing to give and that is amazing 🙂

31. Hannes Uys

February 5th, 2012 at 8:44 pm

32. Mandy

February 6th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Oh girl, u crack me! Re the fitted sheet – I ask that everytime I do the laundry!

33. JM

February 7th, 2012 at 3:19 am

I love your Kisses and Disses… this makes me want to go back to yoga, in fact I think I’ll start back this week!! Switch to Tiger Balm, smells so much better than BenGay and works deeper into the muscles (at least I think so)!!

34. Courtney

February 12th, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Solution for fitted sheet: put it and the flat sheet inside the matching pillow case in your linen cabinet. A prof. Organizer taught me this and it makes all sheets so organized!