Kubota Photoshop Actions : Tips + Tricks

Kubota Photoshop Actions : Tips + Tricks

Photography

Today I’m running around my house with one sock on. A toothbrush perched on my lower lip. Aaaaand I’m bumping a little Jay Z to get me motivated for what is shaping up to be a crah-a-zee day. But before life gets too crazy to blog, I decided to put together a post on a subject I’m most commonly emailed about: Photoshop and post-processing. I’m definitely the last person you want to ask about Photoshop (because, really, I know very little about such an awesome tool), but I do know I get a ton of help from Photoshop Actions. Like I’ve mentioned before in the past, I don’t heavily use Photoshop to manipulate my images, but it definitely refines my style.

People often ask if I could post photos straight out of camera (sooc), and while I was quite reluctant, I’m throwing caution to the Santa Ana winds and posting side-by-side comparisons. If this post helps one person, then I’m stoked. I use these types of posts to help manage my time via email, as I cannot possibly answer every email personally. Please forgive me.

Without further ado, here are three sets of photos from my three most recent shoots…
Kubota Fuji Snappit (11%), 81K Warming (60%), a curve bump, and Magic Sharp…

Kubota KevX Process Combo (10%), BW Enrichment (61%), Contrast +1, curves bump, Magic Sharp…

This picture was completed with one of my newest fav action, Kubota Fashion Passion! I love the cooled tones and yet the subtle saturation! Fashion Passion (22%), curves bump, Magic Sharp…

If you’d like to read more Photoshop tips+tricks, please feel free to click HERE and/or HERE!

Happy Thursday!

comments

1. Kara Wieler -

Wow! So you really are JUST THAT GOOD! Your straight out of camera images are so lovely!

10.29.09 - 7:16 pm

2. michelle -

oh, thanks for sharing this tip. I always love the sharp, crispness of your photos 🙂

10.29.09 - 7:26 pm

3. jacqueline fronters -

I would have thought you used more actions. Can you show some pictures that don’t have nice lite? It would be nice to see a tough picture and see what you do with it. Just a suggestion and I’d love to see it. Thanks.

10.29.09 - 7:26 pm

4. jen -

Thanks for sharing your touching up techniques!! it is really helpful to see the before and after.

10.29.09 - 7:29 pm

5. matt -

well, now, them i’m depressed… are ALL your camera color/picture settings set to standard, i.e., untouched? because SOOC, my pictures look blah, even though they’re exposed perfectly, they just look blah. but again, i’m running standard everything in my RAW shooting.

10.29.09 - 7:42 pm

6. Jonathan -

The differences in the before and after images are so subtle! I’m amazed at what you capture in camera.

10.29.09 - 7:45 pm

7. Nicole Glenn -

Girl! Your SOOC shots are perfect, I had to look REALLY hard to see a difference! "These streets will make you brand new, Big lights will inspire you…" – On repeat. Yes. 🙂

10.29.09 - 7:46 pm

8. Jasmine* -

@Matt: Yes, I shoot with my color/picture settings set to Standard. More than anything, it’s finding really complimentary light. In the first photo, the sun was shining bright and was reflecting off a near by wall. The second photo was pleasant because it was cloudy day and the light was beautifully diffused and pretty much bouncing everywhere. The last photo, light was coming from above and from behind me and reflecting from the white walls and floor. Reflected light makes for a totally dynamic picture. @Jacqueline: You’re right! I purposefully chose images that had nice light in order to make the edit easier and faster for today’s post…perhaps in the future I’ll challenge myself a little more! 🙂

10.29.09 - 7:48 pm

9. bethany -

to pretttty much echo what everyone else is already saying, WOW your sooc pictures are aweeeeesome! i think that shows how talented you really are. 🙂

10.29.09 - 7:52 pm

10. Pol -

Thank you! This helps a lot.

10.29.09 - 7:58 pm

11. Bobby Earle -

Jaz, I hate you. Your SOOC are reeeeedic.

10.29.09 - 8:02 pm

12. Sherry -

Your sooc images are pretty darn fabulous! <3 Thanks for the side-by-side comparison. I love seeing things like this.

10.29.09 - 8:06 pm

13. Sheila -

Girl, you are CRAZY talented. The SOOCs are fantastic enough as they are. Thank you for sharing! xoxo

10.29.09 - 8:08 pm

14. First time comment -

Hello Jasmine, i’ve been following your blog for a few months, my friend adores you and she recommende me to read it, I want to buy a camera because i do love photography but i am not good at it, which place do you recommend for first time fotographer to get the camera from, I have saved money to get it, so budget camera wise is available now, Thanks Jasmine. from your guatemala friend!!

10.29.09 - 8:08 pm

15. Rima -

I think the key is, is that you nail the exposure first time. I rack my brain thinking why is your shots so different to mine? Yes I’m sure the sun (or lack there of in the UK) is a factor, but I think you’ve definitely learnt to control the camera 100%

10.29.09 - 8:14 pm

16. sheila lory -

you last two sets look the same…shoot me now.

10.29.09 - 8:19 pm

17. Kelly -

Wow! You don’t do a lot to them! They look amazing SOOC! Hmmmmmm….. I may have to make the switch to Canon! Chaching!

10.29.09 - 8:31 pm

18. Trude -

Thank you so much for sharing! These totally show that you walk the talk – awesome shots SOOC. Love it. 🙂

10.29.09 - 8:33 pm

19. Kay English -

Sweet! Thanks so much for posting these! Do you ever use TRA?

10.29.09 - 8:33 pm

20. Ginette Sundin -

Amazing. Thank you. Just solidifies every inclination I had of just how awesome your skillz are. You are right, you just use the actions to refine your style, not "save" a bad picture. I love being inspired to get better and better IN CAMERA. 🙂 This is my newest passion!

10.29.09 - 8:37 pm

21. Brittney -

ok these are amazing… thanks for sharing your sooc… but seriously they look amazing both ways!

10.29.09 - 8:41 pm

22. Lydia -

Wow, Jasmine, I really don’t know why you held off posting SOOC for so long when they’re so great that I’m having a hard time telling which is the before and after! You’re one of the most giving people I know; you have such a beautiful spirit!

10.29.09 - 8:42 pm

23. Brandi Welch -

I’m sooo glad you posted these! I think it will help to show everyone that they DON’T have to rely or depend on photoshop to make a great photo! They should challenge themselves to make it that great S.O.O.C. like you have done! After reading your old blog and seeing how far you have come, it’s refreshing to see that you have worked hard learning all you have…and it’s paid off BIG TIME!! I am so proud of you and I don’t even know you haha. And I love how you see other people are friends or someone you could help vs competition! Recently, a local photog got me down because she complained about how she gets so many e-mails from people wanting advice on starting their business and that people have been copying her. She said, "Doesn’t it seem like everyone is a photographer these days?" She has good talent and just threw away a chance to be a leader and teach like you! So, although I have never e-mailed you a question…thank you for all the help you give and all the great advice as well as the encouragement!! 🙂

10.29.09 - 8:45 pm

24. Gail -

Jasmine,
    You’re the best! One quick question — with Magic Sharp, do you only apply for images you blog? I get so torn on whether to use it as part of any actions I apply to images for print or whether I should just apply it for images I blog! Would love your input!

10.29.09 - 8:51 pm

25. Angela -

Oh, I’m depressed too SOOC is AMAZING!!!!!

10.29.09 - 8:52 pm

26. Jessica -

I think it’s super awesome and helpful when photographers will show us the sooc versions of their pictures. Yours are super nice. Very nice work. I can definitely appreciate keeping the post-processing to a minimum! Thank you–please do more of these posts. 🙂

Question: how long does it take you to edit, usually? How much time will you spend on one wedding’s worth, for instance? Do you do basic touch ups to every photo, or do you just pick some?

10.29.09 - 9:07 pm

27. jasmine* -

@KayEnglish: Yes, I use TRA and will likely post another tips+tricks specifically for those actions soon! 🙂 @Gail: That choice is entirely up to you! I know photographers do it both ways, so to each her own and I know you’ll rock it out! 🙂

10.29.09 - 9:09 pm

28. Tony -

I exclusively use the Kubota action tools since you put me onto them Jasmine – you should be getting a commission on sales made! Folks, seriously, if you are not using these as part of your workflow, you are doing things the hard way. I’ve now got the complete set and use them on a daily basis.
    Thanks for the post Jasmine.

10.29.09 - 9:12 pm

29. Christina -

Jasmine–I love how your photography is real–and not over processed. Even in your shots that are Photoshopped there is not a drastic difference from your original shot–just a slight enhancement. Some people don’t understand that I would like to become a better REAL photographer–not necessarily a better photoshopper. 🙂
    Thanks for the post.

10.29.09 - 9:16 pm

30. Dustin Finn -

thanks for this before and after, but how do you get those skin tones to be so much brighter in the final image…

So Jealous…

10.29.09 - 9:20 pm

31. Serendipity Photography -

Great post! Thanks!

10.29.09 - 9:21 pm

32. Teresa K -

Thank you so much for being generous and gracious enough to share some of your secrets with other photographers. It speaks so much as to what kind of a person you are and I truly appreciate it.

P.S. I’m looking forward to your TRA post!!

10.29.09 - 9:27 pm

33. Iain King -

Wow – total respect. Not many photographers are willing to not only show shots SOOC but describe the actions and the setting of the images as well. Your SOOC images are fantastic and you deserve all the success you get. As always an inspiration to me and maybe one day I’ll be able to give as much to the photography world as you are. Thanks.

10.29.09 - 9:50 pm

34. Michelle sidles -

You nailed your exposures! That’s why you’re fab! 🙂 More than your processing techniques & actions I just loves seeing such great sooc exposures! Inspires me to keep practicing nailing my shots IN camera. 🙂 My goal isn’t to be the world’s best Photoshop Art-teest" 😉

10.29.09 - 10:00 pm

35. Jeff -

Absolutely beautiful work! Became a J* fan and RSS follower after I was introduced to your work from your Crash interview

My question for you would be what metering mode do you rely on with your 5DII? This is something that I do wrestle with lately, been trying to figure out what works best in the differing locations I shoot in. Just wondering if you have a fav….or if you even give it a thought at all and just go by the LCD?

10.29.09 - 10:02 pm

36. Lyndsey -

This was definitely helpful…it’s great to see finished examples and what was done, but wow, your sooc images are amazing as is. It’s helping me to see what I can work on to get what I want before post-production!

10.29.09 - 10:07 pm

37. Al -

Jasmine – I have one question: Do you apply Magic Sharp on the web ready image or your full resolution image? The reason I ask is because on the large image it doesn’t have much of an impact compared to a smaller res image. Thanks!

10.29.09 - 10:12 pm

38. Aleks -

Jasmin that’s awesome… You mentioned Contrast +1 and curves bump , I have all Kubota action but I couldn’t find it? Are you using normal contras and curves or action?

10.29.09 - 10:20 pm

39. alex ho -

awesome post!

the post procesing is subtle but yet it makes a nice difference in the final image.

10.29.09 - 10:35 pm

40. Julie -

Oh! Can’t wait to get my hands on Fashion Passion!!

10.29.09 - 10:38 pm

41. Eileen -

The changes are very subtle but very nice.

10.29.09 - 10:41 pm

42. Christina Gressianu -

Wow! Your photos look amazing sooc! That’s one thing I’m still working on – indoor proper exposure in the camera. Thank you for baring your unprocessed photos!

10.29.09 - 11:02 pm

43. Cindy -

Thanks for sharing! 🙂

10.29.09 - 11:56 pm

44. Alexandra -

Thanks for always sharing 🙂 These are awesome!! I wish I had these actions 🙁

10.30.09 - 12:02 am

45. Alexandra -

Thanks for always sharing 🙂 These are awesome!! I wish I had these actions 🙁

10.30.09 - 12:02 am

46. Emily Dobson -

Why bother with actions? Your images are incredible straight out of camera! Seriously.

10.30.09 - 12:05 am

47. Julie W. -

Amazing!!! Thank you so much for all you share!

10.30.09 - 12:07 am

48. olivia fey -

@aleks the contrast+1 is actually a totally rad action
    @Jasmine Star thanks for another amazing post. I don’t like to play a lot with the actions, so reading your posts about which actions you use is really helpful.

10.30.09 - 12:53 am

49. tracy -

your straight out of the camera is amazing!!!!!

10.30.09 - 1:04 am

50. Bobbie Brown -

Seriously, your SOOC images are ah-maz-zing! Girl, you rock.

10.30.09 - 1:18 am

51. a little bit of whimsy photography -

Girl, I’m still trying to learn to hold my breath without passing out in front of people while I shoot them.. If the skills were crazy-sharp/perfect like this right out of the camera, I don’t know if I’d bother with any processing at all.. I’m just saying!!

10.30.09 - 1:35 am

52. Katie Neal Photo -

WOW! I know I’m late to comment but your SOOC shots are unreal. I think I’m switching to Canon. There’s no way my Nikon produces gorgeousness like that no matter how well I know it. 🙂 I’d like to know about magic sharp on resized images vs. normal sized images. Magic sharp doesn’t have the same effect on full size images. Therefore do you do a different sharpen for photos for albums or prints?

10.30.09 - 2:27 am

53. Maalaea with i and m photo -

Thanks Jasmine this is super helpful!!!

10.30.09 - 2:43 am

54. carlie -

you kill me your so bomb.

10.30.09 - 2:50 am

55. Tacey -

Ummm…Are you playing a trick on us all….Is it just me, or is there barely a difference between the sooc and the edited images???? Perhaps my eyes are failing me (which would be a bad thing considering I’m a photographer…) but the differences are very, very slight…Kudos to you Jasmine for taking such fabulous-o captures, straight out of the camera…

10.30.09 - 2:56 am

56. John B. - Baltimore Wedding Photographer -

Seriously, there’s almost no difference between SOOC and post processed, you got skillz. 😉

10.30.09 - 4:05 am

57. Lisa H. Chang -

I love this post. Thanks for letting us see inside your photoshop a little bit. 🙂 And I second all those who said they SOOC pics were amazing already!

10.30.09 - 5:06 am

58. Jo Carr -

Thanks so much Jasmine. Love these posts!!! 🙂

10.30.09 - 6:11 am

59. Matthew Saville -

Personally, I’m one of those guys who cranks his in-camera settings, (except sharpening) and likes to see if he can get as many images as possible to require zero editing, or just a few seconds’ glance in Bridge / Lightroom. But that’s me, the low-budget, workflow-obsessed guy… TRA and Kubota actions are definitely awesome! I just never got around to affording them… Hey, I’ll really miss you and the SMUG on the 6th! 🙁 =Matt=

10.30.09 - 10:07 am

60. Mark Daams -

You’re not kidding when you say you don’t do much editing to you photos! The originals look great.

10.30.09 - 11:47 am

61. Amanda -

I like that you use the photoshop actions, but you can’t really tell. Some photographers hide behind photoshop and use it as a crutch. Photoshop is a great tool, but you still should be a great photographer

10.30.09 - 12:23 pm

62. Jodi Friedman -

Your photos are just incredible – but really the SOOC shots are so close to the afters. You are just that good!

I wish I was even 1/2 as good behind the camera as you are. Your eye for composition combined with your technical skills are amazing.

Much success!
    Jodi

10.30.09 - 12:34 pm

63. Stephanie -

Seriously I have never seen such awesome SOOC pictures, girl you rock. This totally shows how awesome your skilz are, you should of shown these sooner!

10.30.09 - 2:28 pm

64. Teryn Glenn -

Love Kubota actions! I also really love the Fashion Passion. I have been using it at about 50%, but I am going to try doing 20% like your example. I like how subtle it is. Thanks for your examples! You rock.

10.30.09 - 2:58 pm

65. Mike Reed -

J* – Your photos rock… comp, posing, expressions… I could go on. This is proof you get it right in camera and on the "set". Not a huge (there is, just not jaw dropping) difference after you apply your actions. Thank you SOOOO much for sharing!

10.30.09 - 3:23 pm

66. Miz Booshay -

Great touch! Subtle and perfect!

10.30.09 - 3:40 pm

67. Shay Voorhees -

Bless you Jasmine! For doing these posts. One question if you could answer the next time [pretty please w/ a chocolate cherry on top] Do you batch edit or are you touching each image individually? How long does editing a wedding take you? Oh dang, that’s two questions. :p

10.30.09 - 4:22 pm

68. Sarah Ciccone -

Thanks so much Jasmine for the tips and being so open with what you do!! I will definitely have to get me some of these Kubota actions when I get photoshop. Thanks again, your Awesome:)

10.30.09 - 4:55 pm

69. Jamie Sheasby -

Jasmine, seriously, I can’t tell the difference between left and right..seriously. That’s pretty amazeballs.

10.30.09 - 4:56 pm

70. Sarah Ciccone -

Thanks so much Jasmine for the tips and for being so open with what you do!! I will definitely have to get me some of those Kubota actions when I get photoshop. Thanks again, your Awesome:)

10.30.09 - 4:59 pm

71. Stephanie Stewart -

Wow! You go girl! I know you said you require perfect exposure in camera for every shot, and you certainly do that! I’m so happy for you, and I truly get inspired from each post, especially this kind. Thank you very much! I will be paying much closer attention to my in-camera exposure and hunt for more flattering and "bouncy" light. Happy Halloween!

10.30.09 - 6:51 pm

72. Krista Cardoza -

Great post. I recently got the Kubota actions and I’m excited to play around with them! Love your work!

10.30.09 - 6:58 pm

73. Nichole -

Jasmine you are awesome,thanks for sharing : ) Can you please share how you nail your expsures? Please,pretty please? I know you said you expose for skin and you shoot in manual (and you use AWB). Do you use your in camera metering modes or a light meter,what do you do? I’ll keep an eye for your FAQ and check your blog for answers. Thank you so much for helping.

Sincerely,

Struggling artisT : )

10.30.09 - 10:38 pm

74. Jess Epstein -

Ok, Your goal of helping at least one person, fullfilled. I love actions and I love your sharing.

10.30.09 - 11:02 pm

75. Tiffany -

I can’t tell which is the before & which is the after? They look the same to me…with or without the actions…which is actually a good thing! Go Jasmine! 🙂

10.30.09 - 11:32 pm

76. Ashley V. -

Jasmine, your work is absolutely amazing! Your SOOC shots are beautiful and you are truly and inspiration to me. I have a goal to build a photography business within the next year and you have inspired me even more to do so! Thank you for that.

10.31.09 - 12:56 am

77. Valerie Yamile -

I think you would save yourself a lot more time not doing any PP in Photoshop. Everything that those actions do you can do in LR. And honestly, your photos are so awesome that you could deliver the shots sooc to your clients and they would still love them. Have you tried using LR???

10.31.09 - 6:08 pm

78. karl Bratby -

more fab work, love your use of actions.

10.31.09 - 10:24 pm

79. Jenny -

Jasmine, you’re so awesome to share your photo processing with us with before and after photos! Not only that, you added technical information on top ! Kudos !

11.1.09 - 6:39 am

80. Raychard Kho -

very nice photos. high quality.. ilike the transitions

11.1.09 - 10:52 am

81. Brian Fletcher -

Your OOC shots look really, really good! Thanks for sharing 🙂

11.1.09 - 7:27 pm

82. Life with Kaishon -

Wow. Your pictures out of camera are awesome as can be!

11.2.09 - 3:47 pm

83. ELisa Bauer -

Brilliant work as always but I’m a bit confused by your first before/after processing… how on earth can you use 81K warming without your photo appearing orange??? I have to use it at like 9% LOL

11.3.09 - 4:43 am

84. Emily -

I just wanted you to know this post has made me re-think my editing process and has already made a HUGE difference in my final images. And I like it! So thank you for laying it out there. Not that you had anything to worry about. Much love from Oregon!

11.3.09 - 7:10 am

85. cassandra m -

Sign of a Photographer who knows her camera & knows how to use it : posting SOTC images that are this AWESOME!

11.3.09 - 4:45 pm

86. Erica Velascot -

I love when you share these!

11.4.09 - 3:32 am

87. Kim Mallory -

Great tips! Beautiful Images..

11.22.09 - 11:25 pm

88. marianne worlow -

umm..i love u. u are so freakin sweet to share what you have learned!! thank u.

12.1.09 - 6:08 pm

89. Jessica Zais -

So helpful! Thank you!! Amazing what a difference a little change can make. : )

12.6.09 - 9:16 pm

90. Craig Kasper photography -

Thanks so much for giving so much!

1.23.10 - 1:43 am

91. Kami Van Slyke -

Okay. So I know this is a totally old post – but I have a question about the second set of images (the girl in the yellow skirt). Why did you choose to shoot with such a high ISO ( I know 400 isn’t terribly high – but it seems high for being outside)? I see your shutter speed is super high also. I’ve always been told to set the ISO as low as possible and work from there. Are there times, that a high ISO is favorable even when unnecessary?

6.29.10 - 9:58 pm

92. Pixel Story Wedding Photography -

Have you tried out the Kubota Lightroom presets? (that is of course if you use Lightroom…) I find that I spend very little time with my Kubota actions anymore…

8.20.10 - 8:28 pm

93. Chari -

Thank you that’s an awesome set of Photoshop actions. By the way, if anyone is stuck on how to install Photoshop actions, check out this guide: How to Use Photoshop Actions
    Cheers and happy Photoshopping!

12.28.13 - 12:32 am