Reflections : How to Shoot and Style Detail Photos

After a wedding or an engagement shoot, it’s usual for me to reflect on the things I did. What I liked, what I could have done better. Heading home from this weekend’s wedding in Sonoma, I went through the same process and dissected my decisions to, hopefully, make me better in the future. Then I got an idea. Why don’t I blog about this process? Share my ideas, ways I can improve, how to rethink situations.

Basically, these Reflections posts will be along the lines of: This is what happened, and this is how I addressed it.

I’m working on this weekend’s wedding, but until then, I thought I’d start this series with a question I’m commonly asked about photographing wedding details. Specifically, the How. For me, styling the details is just as important as the technicality of the shot. Because, really, anyone can learn the appropriate camera settings, but the idea behind the photograph is what sets photographers apart.

The minute I start a wedding, I immediately figure out what the theme/idea of the day. Essentially, what was the bride trying to convey on her wedding day. Subtle? Vintage? Organic? Modern? Basically, the types of words you see in most wedding magazines. Once I know what it is, I try to shoot the day to reflect this vibe. Specifically, I try to shoot the details in such a way that will help tell her wedding story Organically. Subtly. And so forth.

So what happens if setting isn’t organic and the bride wants to showcase her story organically? Well, you simply find ways to make it happen. Or least try to. Today I’ll be using Kristin and Brandon’s wedding to navigate my thoughts…

It’s quite common for me to start the wedding day in a hotel room with the bride. Kristin, however, prepared at her mother’s beautiful Orange County home. A newer house with contemporary light fixtures, colors, and appeal. The wedding theme, however, was vintage with a natural appeal. How could I shoot the details according to her wedding theme given the environment I was given? Stage it.

After saying hello to everyone getting ready at Kristin’s home, I immediately asked for permission to walk around the lower portion of her home (where they were getting ready) and looked for light and details I could use to help me stage. The only light available to me was the front door (which I opened) so I decided it was best to shoot all the wedding details in the doorway. So I started with the garter…
50mm f/1.2 1/200 640 iso

I found sewing kit and a jar of buttons, so I placed them on a mahogany table (more on that in a minute) with the doorlight illuminating the details, and I’m standing off to the side so I don’t block it. I decided to shoot both the garter and the wedding purse within the same space because I thought it’d make a fluid spread in the album later on…
50mm f/1.2 1/200 640 iso

Remember the mahogany table? Well, it wasn’t really a table. It was a sewing machine…I simply shot it at a different angle as to not reveal I was working within the same space, and maximize my photo options in limited light. Here I decided to stage the jewelry as the gold accents played off each other well…
50mm f/1.2 1/200 640 iso

Like I mentioned before, I was working within the doorway of the house, which was about four feet by four feet. I prefer to illuminate the wedding dress with natural light, so that left me with one option: The door. I asked Kristin if she was okay with me hanging her dress and when she said yes, I asked her mom for cleaner and paper towels. I cleaned the door, then placed the dress hanger over the top.
Dress: 50mm f/2.0 1/100 400 iso
Something Old, Something Blue: 50mm f/1.2 1/125 500 iso

Then I felt stuck. I had used/shot in every crevice the doorway allowed me and I still had a few things to photograph…like the veil. I walked into the backyard and then the porch. I decided to move a potted plant and a chair to reveal this stick formation…that looked like a heart (which I thought played well with the heart paperweight I snagged from the livingroom in the previous picture)…
50mm f/2.0 1/320 160 iso

Now onto the shoes…now, I love photographing shoes. They reveal so much about a person’s personality. I love it. Initially, downstairs, I was not finding the right spot for the shoes, so I waited to photograph them. I believe if it doesn’t feel right, don’t try to make it work. When Kristin and the girls when upstairs to dress, I entered a new room…which meant new options. With very little time to work, I saw a chair and I knew it’d be a safe shot. A traditional shoe photo that would work just fine. I thought I was finished until I saw an old suitcase filled with vintage items…and I felt like I hit the jackpot. I placed the shoes just outside the box and snagged a few photos. I later found out the suitcase belonged to Kristin’s grandmother and was filled with numerous memories, which works for the photo in ways I couldn’t have foreseen, but was very happy…
Left shoes: 50mm f/1.2 1/320 250 iso
Right shoes: 50mm f/1.2 1/200 400 iso

Ugh. I think this blog post got too long. My bad. I’ll try to taper them in the future, but I hope this post was helpful. If for no one else, simply writing my thoughts down help me rethink my approach and hone my craft. Hope you’re having a fabulous Monday!

1. Maryn

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I didn’t think this post was too long at all – in fact I wish it was longer! I live in MD and am beginning to start my own photography business and your site is SO helpful. Keep it coming! : )

2. willyau

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Great post, great explanations. Thanks Jasmine!

3. krystle

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Too long? I wanted MORE! 🙂

4. Cathy and David

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:20 pm

These are some great photos/ideas Jasmine. 🙂 Loving the last one of the shoes. Such great little details behind it. 🙂

5. nerinna

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:20 pm

6. Britney

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I’m perfectly fine with a long blog!! 😀 Thank you SO SO much for sharing!! This helps so much! 😀

7. Gail

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:22 pm

GREAT post Jasmine! Wonderful ideas any wedding photog can relate to (or should be) to stick with that theme you’re talking about.

PS – Love your stream-of-conscious approach here too with the writing. Different for you and I like it 🙂

8. Stephanie Stewart

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Love this post! So helpful!!! Please don’t taper! Thank you so much for your insight, it is very much appreciated!!! 🙂

9. Amandalynn

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I really like how you worked the doorway, I know you have the 10×10 thing, but this is a really good example of how to really transform your shots in the same area by using your angles and staging effectively, and using what you’ve got. Love it.

10. Amber Raeder

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Your blogs are never long enough ; )

11. Misty Deblasio

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Thank you for admitting that "staging" takes place. I do the same thing with available items around (and maybe a few I own) to complete the picture. It is hard sometimes when there are NO details other than rings, shoes and flowers and this blog shoes how beautifully it can be done. I shoot alot where brides get ready in venues (bathrooms) where there is nothing personal and you have to look at fabric on lobby chairs for inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

12. Jennifer Jar

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Girl! Do not apologize for having a long blog post…I’d read it if it was 50 pages long. Thank you for sharing this with us!!!

13. Lupe Ruiz

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Jasmine, thank you so much for always being so candid about your thought processes and for being so giving. There are no words to describe how much you have inspired and taught me, without even knowing I exist! 🙂 This time of year is the time to reflect on what we are thankful for, and aside from my family, friends, etc, I am thankful for YOU! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! xo

14. Alex

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Lovely post and very helpful!

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Thanks you for this wonderful and really helpful post. As always, your work is beautiful, and your generosity more so.

16. Christy Cundiff

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Please don’t taper your posts! I love the read! So many details! Thanks for sharing! I do have a question. Forgive my ignorance, but why do you change your ISO so often… in the same light. I punch in my numbers and never think about them again until I have to! LOL! I’m sure you have a wonderful reason for this! Thanks! = )

17. feuza

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:28 pm

love it, been clearing out more and ever since watching you on creative life

18. Kelly Mendoza

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Awesome! I absolutely love the details of a wedding so much. I met Kristin this weekend and she is a sweetheart. I knew I recognized her from somewhere when I saw her on your blog :).

19. Nadya

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Super helpful and def. not too long! thanks jasmine!

20. Heather Kloster

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:29 pm

JASMINE!!! This post is in no way, shape or form too long!!! Thank you for the INCREDIBLE info. As my husband’s 2nd, I’m usually the one looking to set up these detail shots!! This is so very helpful. And thank you a thousand times over for all your super helpful posts with photographer tips and advice. You are beyond generous!!!!!

21. Priscilla Boren

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Not too long at all, I was fascinated with your story, I could actually see you doing the things step by step in my mind.
    PS, I hope you were not to shocked by the flowers we gave you in New Port Beach at Escalate.

22. Shelby

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Thank you so much for this!! What a great post! And not too long in my book! 😉

23. Nadine Burzler

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Hi Jasmine! This post is really useful and I look forward to seeing more posts like these. I was wondering what you’d blog about now that your last wedding for 2010 is done, and you came up with something that benefits the readers of your blog, which BTW probably make up about 80% of your readers! I love clicking on their links to see different styles and learn bits from everyone… Thank you for always thinking outside the box and inspiring creativity in other togs. As always I wish you guys continued success and much happiness xx Bisous Nadine xx

24. Kyla

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I am grateful that you wrote this all down. I would not have thought to stage a session, I just shoot things as they are, but this is so much better!
    Beautiful pics!

25. Shelly Connell

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Jasmine…..great ideas. Your blogs inspire me!

26. Megan Wold

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Thank you so much for doing your reflections. It is so refreshing to hear that others contemplate the day and to see and hear those thoughts not only inspires but intrigues me as well.

27. Michelle

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Love love love this post! This is SO helpful and inspirational!

28. Sophia

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:34 pm

not too long! great information. thanks so much for all the detail on details. : )

29. Steven Chellappa

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Your posts are always helpful! Thanks so much Jasmine for sharing your knowledge with us and helping us grow at our craft too! Blessings! 😀

30. Brooke Bryand

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:35 pm

This post was extremely helpful (and motivating to not always settle for "safe"!) – thank you for sharing! And it was the perfect length…not too long at all!

31. Josh Smith

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for sharing. This is very helpful to me. As a husband and wife team, I am always left to shoot the groom details and often struggle with this. You have definitely opened my eyes to new options. Thank you again!

32. Claudia @ Fabuluxe Photos

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I really like the veil picture…. nice post! 🙂

33. Amie

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Loved this – always great to see the working process alongside the actual photos (which are gorgeous!)

34. Anahy

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Jasmine, thanks so much for this. Your post is not long at all and it is super helpful. I’m doing a wedding this weekend so I’m feeling the nervous butterflies. Thanks again. Give Polo a big hug for me.

35. AmyJean

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:38 pm

It was very helpful, thank-you very much. Details are where I struggle most, any insight helps!

36. Courtney Howell

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:38 pm

This was definitely not too long!! I love this new reflections post 🙂

37. Adrienne

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:38 pm

LOVE it! Thanks for the insight. Details are SO important to the bride.

38. April Russell

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:39 pm

This is one of my favorite posts by you! Thank you for all the insight!

39. kristen maple

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Thank you for that! I LOVED it! I am new to the wedding business, but you have been an inspiration to me from start! This was incredibly helpful and inspiring! Thank you!

40. Lynne

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:41 pm

This is so great..I flet like I was right there with you..I am glad to know you get "stuck" sometimes too! Thanks for always being so open and honest and of course a constant inpiration.

41. Jesus

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Thank you for sharing the process you to through to get those great pics, I admire your style and creativity.

42. TStark

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:42 pm

This is fabulous. Thanks for posting. How about shots of wedding rings? Do you use your 50mm 1.2 for that? I’ve tried and they just don’t seem to come out like I hope.

43. Pete

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Too long? Not long enough! Great stuff, love these types of posts. Keep them coming

44. Jenni L

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Great ideas and thoughts on shooting details. Thanks so much!!

45. Adriana H.G.

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I LOOOVE this new posts idea! great as usual when you share the how-to’s with us mortals =P THANK YOU for taking the time to do this, you rockstar-fabulous-photographer you! 🙂

P.S: The post is definitely NOT too long! 😉

46. Hannah Braboy

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:50 pm

One of the hardest, most valuable things that I am constantly learning is just that – working with what I have and thinking on my feet. I think you did a fabulous job with that wedding shoot!

47. Melissa williamson

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:50 pm

You’re an inspiration. I’m not even a wedding photographer and I love reading your posts and ideas!

48. Nicole Delaney

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I love this post! It’s great to see your thought process at work. I love that you think the images through what the bride is trying to convey.

49. Laura

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:53 pm

what a great idea to share your lessons learnt… thank you so much, the post isn’t long at all, it made reflect as well and how I can do better… thank youuuu xx

50. Austin-Lee

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Thanks SO much for sharing this. I love learning how to make myself a better photographer, and hearing how others make themselves better always helps! Love how you shared your thought pattern.

51. Jess

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Oh no, it was definitely not too long! I loved it. Super helpful. Thanks Jasmine!!

52. Diana Lupu

November 22nd, 2010 at 7:58 pm

No, no NO….not too long at all! Loved everything about this post and I say you start a new category titled: reflections! this was GREAT Jasmine, thank you for sharing!

53. Nadine Burzler

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:00 pm

OMG! Just realized my comment didn’t make sense at all! lol! That’s what happens when I get excited! Anyways, I was referring to Togs. From all your readers, I’ve noticed you have a huge photographer following… probably making up 80% of your blog readers…There you go..had to clarify… Such a dummy!OOps Have a fabulous day! x

54. Catherine Mac

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:01 pm

THANK you Jasmine for sharing with us 🙂 Def not too long! Keep em coming girl x

55. Angie

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Thank you Jasmine for sharing. Excellent post & just right in length.

56. Irene

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:08 pm

No way, this was NOT too short. I’m always curious what you do when you get stuck. I mean, especially for beginners in photography, because we automatically think that if we get stuck, we’re not very gifted.
    Thank you for sharing – you have no idea how much you’re helping.

57. allison Carenza

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:10 pm

This was an awesome post, and not too long at all! I wish I had a wedding coming up to shoot so I could use some of your tips!

58. Emily Heizer Photography

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Nah, that was great. Very interesting insight into your thought process… and the level of detail your thoughts actually go into. I don’t really think I agonize that much over decisions, but it may just have been your process of explaining your choices that made it sound more drawn out than it actually was. I’m more of a machine: Suitcase- grab, shoes, snap, next, dress, set up, snap, etc. But there is definetly something to be said about the thought and detail part of it, and thinking about the overall theme of the day FIRST before beginning to shoot is a new idea to me. Thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t thought of that before. It’s been awhile – a LONG while since I"ve had what is really a big concept introduced to me that could really potentially change the whole way I shoot, so cool!

59. Angie

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:12 pm

This is great!! I LOVE to hear how you do things. You are SUCH an inspiration!!

60. Ana GR

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Great! Loved the idea of knowing your reflections on shootings. And it’s so generous from you to share!
    Tons to learn from you!

61. Molly W.

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing! You inspire me to do more shooting wide open, I gotta open up my 50 more!

62. MartaV

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Such a helpful post. Thank you. As I am working to improve my skills one of the things I have been thinking about(especially since your CreativeLive class) is about staging and presentation. Knowing how you think it thru really gives me food for thought when I am working thru my weddings. I love how you come up with so many different stagings/poses in such a small space. Thank you again for being such an open and generous person with your knowledge and experience.

63. Nora Gracia

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for posting this Jasmine. Your photographs are beautiful.

64. Emily Dobson

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:28 pm

NEVER too long! In fact, I did a super long post entitled "Life After a Heart Transplant" about my friend, Megan and the journey she went through starting almost a year ago. I’m sure you would enjoy it…if you ever have time to read it:

Otherwise, FANTASTIC post! Thank you for helping me understand it isn’t the Technicalities…but the originality!

65. Deb Peluso

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Oh my gosh, this post was soooo helpful! Thanks so much for letting us inside your brain!

66. rachel

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:31 pm

That was awesome! I’m not a photographer but I still really enjoyed reading about your creative process. More, more, more!

67. Susan Davis

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I love how your brain works. Thanks for this post, it was really helpful.

68. Daniel Condurachi

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Thank you for such posts. It helps me to understand more of your style. You are an inspiration. Thank you!

69. Gabriela Fuentes

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Thank you so much for this post. It is great to read the backstory of a wedding from a photographer’s point of view. Many times, I can hear the photojournalists in the back of my head saying: report, don’t stage, but when things are not perfect, I feel stuck. If they ask, I will say J* gave me permission to stage. BTW, you are more than a photographer!

70. Pamela

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:40 pm

This post was NOT too long. Thank you for sharing the process. I LOVE the suitcase and shoes shot. Lovely.

71. Jill Swank

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:42 pm

If I ever meet you… BIG HUG! Thank you. These little bits of info really help a novice wedding photographer to give my clients that little extra touch to their wedding photos. love ya Jasmine

72. Hannah Beatrice

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Really helpful! And not too long at all – I wanted more!

73. amanda thiessen

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:45 pm

your posts are never too long! i love these the most 🙂

74. Sara Lando

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:53 pm

too long? Not even close.
    Great insight on the process, thankyou so much for sharing.
    You’re like the McGyver of awesome.

75. John Lewis

November 22nd, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Thank you for the post Jasmine, not to long at all, in fact for a guy it’s very insightful. You have opened up a completely different way of thinking for me since Creative Live. Love love love your work!

76. Desiree Cherisse

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:03 pm

no, this was not too long this was PERFECT! you are amazing. 🙂

77. Jackie

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Too long are you kidding, I wanted more! But I love love love this. Here in Montana spring is our break in weddings. Everyone has a summer, fall, or winter wonderland wedding. I still have 2 weddings before the end of the year, one this coming weekend, and you have really inspired me to continue to look outside the box! Love it! You ROCK!

78. Andy

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:08 pm

not to long at all, loved it. If you weren’t a photographer you could def be a writer.

79. Salwa

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Jasmine, I’m sure you hear this ALL the time, but I love your blog. That’s not true – I ADORE it. The photography, the stories, the FAQs, your personal anectodes – all of it. One of the things I love about photography is that the learning never has to stop, and your Reflections series vibes right along with that concept. Thank you for sharing!

80. Anne

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Thanks so much for this post, Jasmine! This is exactly what I struggled with at the last wedding. Things just didn’t click with the detail shots. I wish I’d explored other options more, like you did here. Maybe it would have turned out better. But now I can learn from it for next time. This was very inspiring, especially with the photos to illustrate what you did. Totally has me thinking again. Thank you!!

81. Dallas

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Jasmine, this post is AMAZING! I feel so privileged to understand your thought process as you guide us through how you work. Please, don’t feel the need to shorten future posts of this kind for our sakes. I know I’m not the only one who was loving every word and photo!

82. Melanie

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Jasmine, not too long at all! These are the sorts of shots I struggle with as they require a lot more staging and artistry. Knowing how you work through it is so helpful because it makes me feel less stupid for asking! ~M

83. Yuliya

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I love when you share posts like these! They give me confidence that I’m on the right track, especially when I search for perfect backdrops, clean doors and windows at a wedding, and move furniture around ;). You’re awesome Jasmine.

84. Karen Stott

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I love, LOVE it when you photograph something and find out later it has immense sentimental value. Thanks for sharing.

85. Annetta

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Your post is not long enough! You just got started! Thanks Jasmine for your advice and insight. Maybe next time you can do something on reception details. Love your work!!

86. Jennifer

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:44 pm

This post was very informative and it had me wanting more. I love when you give your camera setting info. Thank you!!

87. AnneMarie

November 22nd, 2010 at 9:47 pm

You should write a book. We’d all benefit by it!!! aMw

88. LEOLAK

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:01 pm

No way was it too long…I could have read more info if you had typed it! =) Thanks so much for this…and love that the awesome shoe shot captured more than you even thought it would! Thanks for sharing the knowledge always!

89. Evie Perez

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Thank you so much for this post!!!! This is way helpful and has given me some new ideas!!!

90. tamsen

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:07 pm

awesome post! i love all your posts but ones like this where you teach us your thoughts and enable us to learn more form you- they are by far my faves! thank you!

91. Rachel

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Do NOT make them shorter in the future! Not only do I love the insight you give, but I just LOVE listening to you in my head. You have a way with words. Muah! 🙂

92. Bobbie Brown

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I read this post from top to bottom and loved it… Thank you!

93. Holli

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:28 pm

i think this post was awesome and helpful. and p.s. it was not long enough!

94. Jen M

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Awesome advice! Thanks for sharing as always. ps, the shoes are my favorite thing to photograph as well 🙂

95. linda

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:40 pm

oh i love this series! i’ve been following your blog for quite a while and learn so much. i love that you included the technical info about the images, too.

96. Stefanie Hampton Morrow

November 22nd, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Thank you so much for sharing, Jasmine! I love that you put your voice to the photos!

97. Agatha

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Long time visitor first time commenter. Thanks so much for this post Jasmine (and every post you ever do) I love that I can get some insight into the mind of a photographer. It’s all so very valuable.. I’m just a beginner in photography.. so I am learning a lot from you. Thanks!!!

98. Cindy Habel

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Absolutely VALUABLE information….incredibly GENEROUS for sharing….THANKS HEAPS Jasmine 🙂 Definately not too long!

99. Kim Boyd

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Not at all too long…I got to the end and wanted more!!!! Thanks for all you do!

100. Neil LaHaise

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Love this post! Really excited for more post in this series. Can’t say that I thought the post was too long at all! I wanted it to keep going!!

101. Joshua Gull

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I didnt think it went too long at all. It was not only informative, but there are some great images in here as well. Great work Jasmine and thanks for all you do in trying to help the photography community grow.

102. Michelle Sibley

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Thank you Jasmine. Trust me, I do appreciate the offering of your thought processes. Keep ’em coming. Being your blog follower for me is like the proverbial…"hitch your wagon to a star" …because I truly think you are a STAR!

103. Pua

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:52 pm

LOVE this!!! This was the perfect length post too, by the way :).

104. Carrie Krupke

November 23rd, 2010 at 12:13 am

This is fantastic to know J*. Especially knowing you’re not afraid to ask for some Windex and paper towels to make things clean for a shot. I just thought you had perfect clients with perfect spaces! You still have perfect clients but thank you for showing behind the scenes what you do for the shots you get. So helpful!

105. Sadie

November 23rd, 2010 at 12:18 am

Love this post. not too long either.

106. Gregg Martin

November 23rd, 2010 at 12:46 am

Not too long at all. Just perfect, wonderful insight and information. Thank you so much.

107. Nichole Poirier

November 23rd, 2010 at 12:46 am

i LOVE this post! NOT too long at all. Thank you so much for sharing your thought process for the details. I can’t wait to hear what you are going to tell us abut next!

108. Jasmine

November 23rd, 2010 at 1:21 am

Thank you so much for sharing this. As someone who is still learning the hows and whys of styling for photos, I really appreciate this post. Love your work!

109. Angela Woolridge

November 23rd, 2010 at 2:01 am

Great post! Thanks a bunch!

110. Heather

November 23rd, 2010 at 2:01 am

I do not think your post was too long. It was very interesting reading what’s going on in your head while you’re in a shoot. Just taking your time, making sure you get the right shot, while at the same time being available for anything.

111. Tricia Nugen

November 23rd, 2010 at 2:33 am

Amazing work as always and I love the Blog long or short! Thank you so much for sharing!

112. brittani

November 23rd, 2010 at 3:25 am

=) thanks a million for sharing!! That’s where I need to work on…my eye for detail..

113. Angelina

November 23rd, 2010 at 3:46 am

Not too long at all. Would have loved to read more, Thank you for these kinds of posts!
    PS I just shot my second wedding and couldnt be happier with how things turned out for me. Of course Im still learning but I have you to thank for helping me get where I am so far. 🙂

November 23rd, 2010 at 4:33 am

Love this new series! And it wasn’t too long at all! I could’ve read 3x as much from you!

115. Amanda

November 23rd, 2010 at 4:39 am

Thank you so much for sharing! I love the behind the scenes thought process of your amazing photos!

116. anda

November 23rd, 2010 at 4:39 am

not too long at all! i love this! when you reveal the thought processes behind your photos i am always even more blown away.

117. Jen

November 23rd, 2010 at 5:30 am

MOST definitely NOT too long! Thank you so much for blogging about this 🙂 The inspiration for the image, especially the details, is so important. This really helps one think, thanks Jasmine!

118. Jeanette Verster

November 23rd, 2010 at 5:42 am

It wasn’t long at all!! Awesome awesome post!! Love what you found along the way.

119. jean

November 23rd, 2010 at 6:35 am

fabulous post… I wanted more too. Thanks for sharing. I wish you had a separate blog…. only for post like this!!! Thanks again!

120. naomi chokr

November 23rd, 2010 at 6:37 am

I love it! i dont mind it long at all. I agree with you… i posted my thoughts the day after my first child photography. I think it will not only help me but hopefully help someone else in the future as well.

i know you said that the house was modern… my goodness you lucked out with amazing vintage finds.

121. Natalie

November 23rd, 2010 at 7:13 am

Love the details of this post. Literally, the tips are so helpful! Thank you!

122. Neil Patelw

November 23rd, 2010 at 7:42 am

thank you! for your thoughts n keeping us in touch…on my next shoot keep details in mind..Neil

123. kimbrali

November 23rd, 2010 at 8:03 am

a ha! …that was my a ha moment. why has my brain not thought of this before. thanks so much.

124. John Naccarato

November 23rd, 2010 at 9:22 am

Beautifully done Jas…

125. Elizabeth

November 23rd, 2010 at 9:32 am

This was way to short for me Jasmine!!! I do exactly what you do…but not as good as you!!!

126. AnnaDavidson

November 23rd, 2010 at 9:44 am

Not too long at all! It could have been twice as long i would read every word. Love it!

127. Haley

November 23rd, 2010 at 9:48 am

I wish this post could be longer! Seriously, it’s super helpful to be able to take a peek into your thought process. I hope you keep doing these posts, love it!

128. Tim May

November 23rd, 2010 at 11:17 am

Just incase nobody else has said it, it wasn’t too long at all. There is no such thing as too long as long as it is interesting and this sort of stuff is fascinating.

129. Lisa Cour

November 23rd, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Yeah, I don’t think you need to worry about ever having a post too long.

I like this new series, too. It will help those of us who are less experienced to start training our minds to see those details in the same meaningful ways that you do.

130. Lara Rios

November 23rd, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Very very interesting Jasmine. Thank you for being so caring and sharing so much! God Bless…

131. Shannon

November 23rd, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Not too long at all! I found it very interesting and I’m not a photographer.

132. Jim

November 23rd, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Thank you Jasmine! You are an artist. I met your dad a couple of weeks ago at a Men’s Retreat up here in Bend, Oregon. He was bragging about his daughter. I am glad he was. I am enjoying your site and learning too. Blessings to you and I wish you sucess…….Jim

133. Jessica Williams

November 23rd, 2010 at 3:54 pm

This was post was not too long at all, it was very helpful! Thank you Jasmin as always for being so willing to help.

134. Kathleen Frank

November 23rd, 2010 at 3:58 pm

This is fantastic! There is no better way to learn than by getting into the head of a professional.

Thanks for letting us swim around your brain for a while!

135. Alicia

November 23rd, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I read the yesterday but couldn’t comment so I came back today to let you know that this is my favorite type of posts. I love getting inside creative people’s heads and this was so much fun to read! Just wondering if the sewing table was already in that area or did you have to move it there? Thanks so much for being so open with your pictures!

136. jenifriend

November 23rd, 2010 at 4:11 pm

thank you so much for this; it really helps me get reinspired for next season!

137. Joanne Thomas

November 23rd, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Not too long at all–need to include all the thoughts–not a word less–got the gist of things and that means you are a good teacher. Happy Thanksgiving!!

138. Ken Burg

November 23rd, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Not too long at all… perfect actually! I was able to really get a feel for your thought process and you gave enough examples to make the point clear. As enjoyable as your writing usually is, it really shines when slipping into teacher mode. Thanks!

139. Vail fucci

November 23rd, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Definitely not too long. Helpful to basically be in your head as you go along. Very inspiring. I will send it to my 2nd shooters so that they get a better idea about how to stage shots. Thank you for this piece!

140. Brooke

November 23rd, 2010 at 6:42 pm

OMGosh don’t ever taper the blog posts or hold back. It’s who you are and we love you for it. It’s wonderful information and a great insight into how you approach things.

141. gladys jem

November 23rd, 2010 at 6:55 pm

this post is perfect. (notice im back on your blog, AGAIN! lol) but really, i often wonder how you get the shots that you do because i for sure thought that the jar of buttons was a detail for the wedding. but it wasn’t, and you made it look like it was. you are just not a photog who puts things there because its pretty…you get it. you get all of it. and you make it happen. you’re amazing and that’s why i adore you. thank you for sharing. always.

142. Noelia Kline

November 23rd, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Loved this blog! Thank you so much for allowing us to enter into your mind and for giving us details of your thought process. It helped a whole lot. 😀

143. Andi Diamond

November 23rd, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for sharing your awesome wisdom! Love it!

144. Sarah Reed

November 23rd, 2010 at 9:06 pm

This was so helpful (and not too long at all!)! I have such a hard time being "mindful" of shooting the details in a way that is contiguous with the theme of the wedding during the busy-ness of the day; this really was a helpful post. Thank you!

145. Lily Magallanes

November 23rd, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’m not a wedding photographer, but I love learning from you, your breakdown to where it just "clicks". Thank you Thank you!!!

146. awendya

November 24th, 2010 at 12:33 am

Thanks for the post – it wasn’t long enough!!! I was loving the story and the creative response. Please keep the reflections coming!

147. Carla Barnett

November 24th, 2010 at 3:33 am

I LOVE this post. Thank you so much for takng the time to let us in on your thought process!

148. shantel

November 24th, 2010 at 5:33 am

Definitely not to long, extremely helpful! Im a girl who loves details and this post seriously spoke to me!!! Love your posts, thanks for taking the time to write them. : )

149. Enric Moreno

November 24th, 2010 at 10:13 am

I think this is a quick answer question.

How do you make the "diptics", like the sewing machine photo or the last of the shoes

Excuse my english

150. Emma Sharkey

November 24th, 2010 at 11:41 am

And this is why you and your work is incredible. How you are able to think on your feet the way you do is astounding. Thank you for sharing this insight and thank you for continuing to be AWESOME!

151. VeronicaH

November 24th, 2010 at 5:08 pm

This is a great post. Thank you Jasmine! I can’t wait to do my first wedding to see what kinds of things are laying around to photograph with. Hope you, JD, Polo and the rest of your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

152. nicole blumberg photography

November 24th, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Genius. Thank you for always sharing how you do things and how you think of what to do. It really opens my mind up to things that I may have never thought about doing before.

153. Pamela Topping

November 24th, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Loved this! And Happy Thanksgiving!

154. louise

November 25th, 2010 at 8:05 am

Love ,Love, Loooove this!
    Thanks you never seem to run out of ideas to share with us, definately not too long at.
    I really enjoyed reading this, thanks again with being such a wonderful source of Wisdom!!
    Love you Jasmine xxxx

155. Jodie - Merge Photography

November 25th, 2010 at 11:21 am

Fab post, please don’t worry about shortening the next ones… the more info the better! I’m photographing 2 weddings this weekend and hope to put some of your ideas into practice!

156. Marie Man

November 26th, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Love this post. Great tips on how you can stage things and keep them on style without being noticeable in the album. Great stuff 🙂

157. Emma Godfrey

November 26th, 2010 at 3:23 pm

A wonderful post – absolutely love it. Make it longer next time not shorter!
    What’s your inspiration for shots like this? Do you collect scrap books of other images from magazines / other photographers?

158. Mikey S

November 26th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hey, Thanks for a wonderful post. I, like most people, didn’t feel it was long at all. perfect spacing between text and photos I guess.

One question I have though, why did you shoot the shoes at 1.2 instead of increasing to get focus on both at once, but still taking the two shots?

159. Jonni Sergi

November 26th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your thought process with us and you did such a lovely job on the images (as usual). Thanks for all you share. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. 🙂

160. Studio Hera Bell

November 26th, 2010 at 11:30 pm

You are soooooo good at this Jasmine. Happy Thanksgiving.

161. Photographer Detroit

November 27th, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Great shots, Jasmine. You have proven that photography is a fine art that requires a creative and unique eye.

P.S., I love your blog site. Very creative.

162. jess epstein

November 28th, 2010 at 6:21 am

Jasmine, This post is brilliant, I love hearing your thought process and all camera settings are awesome. Look forward to meeting you one day.

163. alison

November 29th, 2010 at 3:28 am

LOVED this post! Please keep post like this coming….they could never be too long! 🙂

164. Kelly | Purple Lemon Designs

November 29th, 2010 at 5:20 pm

This is a FABULOUS post! I think think staging is so important. I love to hear about other people’s processes 🙂 Thanks Jasmine!

165. Lester Molina

November 29th, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Truly inspiring, I love working with natural light. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

166. Andrei

November 29th, 2010 at 9:58 pm

great tips…

167. Jenna Danelle

November 29th, 2010 at 11:39 pm

LOVE love LOVE! Especially the shoes shot with the suitcase!

168. Cindy Lee

November 30th, 2010 at 12:30 am

Agggh! please don’t shorten the posts .. this is so helpful. Thanks for being so open & sharing.

169. jeni

November 30th, 2010 at 1:05 am

your blog posts can never be too long… xo -jeni

170. Ellen

November 30th, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I love your blog. Please keep going, you are soooo inspiring!! Thanks for sharing.

171. Mark Tyler

December 1st, 2010 at 1:37 am

Love this post Jasmine, this would have been great info for a recent wedding I shot. I will be feeding on this info in the future. I appreciate your openess regarding your work.

172. Chad Pennington

December 1st, 2010 at 7:04 am

Jaz it was really helpful to see how you think on a waiting day, especially with the items we love the
    most (details) Bravo

173. Tim Drumm

December 1st, 2010 at 3:23 pm

This was a super helpful post! Thanks!

174. Britt

December 1st, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Love love love. Thanks so much for opening your process to us!

175. Dawn

December 2nd, 2010 at 12:55 am

learning a lot from you, thanks for sharing.

176. Christina Hastings

December 2nd, 2010 at 11:08 pm

That was so wonderful to read and actually read what your thought process was! Thank you Jasmine!

177. Katrina Mather

December 14th, 2010 at 5:32 am

This post was soooo helpful!! Please don’t shorten them in the future… in fact, longer is better! Thank you for the wonderful post!

178. Erin Davenport

January 6th, 2011 at 5:19 am

I agree! Not to long at all, love reading your thought process, it’s sooo helpful 🙂

179. Calin Wedding Photography

July 12th, 2014 at 10:47 am

Thank you for this posting Jasmine! As wedding photographers we often need to shoot details in a time crunch and reading your thought process helps!