Reflections : Maximizing a Photo Shoot Location

Photography

Happy Tuesday and I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday weekend! A couple weeks ago, I asked JD to come along to a photo shoot with me (due to complications with my back). He carried my gear and also took a few photos, most of them documenting behind-the-scenes action for Shane and Mikaela’s Laguna Beach engagement session.

As with all my engagement sessions, I arrive 20-30 minutes early to scope the location and plan the layout of the shoot. Mikaela suggested we’d start at the Laguna Beach TraveLodge hotel and when I arrived, my mind quickly went into overdrive. With my clients’ permission, I’m blogging about how I approached the shoot.

In full candor, I walked the premises of the TraveLodge hotel and was struck with its small size then made a mental map of the location. It was a rather basic hotel in a U-shape, a pool in the center, and seemingly similar backgrounds (white walls, windows, and shrubbery)…okay, so now what? I asked myself how I could photograph the location and make it feel: 1. not too hotel-ish; 2. not too similar; and 3. not too simple. A few blog readers might remember how I employed the 10 by 10 Rule during my first creativeLIVE course (this is basically shooting 10 poses in a 10×10 feet space), so I revisited this rule as I walked the premises. The first third of the engagement session had to occur in a 30-foot space so I made a mental map of how I’d approach the shoot once it started. Here’s a look into my head…

Location One: Beneath the Bridge
At the top of the frame you can see bits of the bridge overhead. I started the session at this location because it’s pretty straight-forward and a great place to get a couple comfortable and relaxed in an aesthetically pleasing location. It’s nothing to write home about, but it’s a time for me to talk and get to know my clients for who they are in front of my camera.

50mm f/2.5 1/400 100 ISO

Location Two: On top of Bridge, shooting down.
I moved the couple a few feet while I got situated on top of the bridge. It’s still the same location, but by changing my vantage point, I was able to secure an entirely differently image. Oh, and please don’t ask why I was wearing that jacket…the weather changed unexpectedly and it was the only thing I had in my car…tragic, I know…

35mm f/2.8 1/400 100 ISO

Location Three: On steps.
While on the bridge, I asked the couple to sit on the steps. They smiled at me, then I smiled at them…then the photo wasn’t working for me. Because they were just sitting there. I asked Mikaela to adjust her scarf and prompted Shane to look at my camera…

50mm f/3.5 1/200 100 ISO

Location Four: Bottom Story, next to window.
While I walked the premises before the shoot, there was a hotel room undergoing construction. The window was missing and there was junk in the room, but I realized I could creatively crop what I didn’t want to expose from my frame…

50mm f/1.2 1/400 100 ISO

Location Five: Top Story.
This location was directly above Location Four. The second story provided better light, so I moved the couple to find complimentary natural light and placed them within a frame…something I’m fond of doing.

85mm f/3.2 1/320 100 ISO

Location Six: Parking Lot.
When I realized I depleted my shoot locations at the hotel, I took the couple to an adjacent parking lot. Sure, it was a parking lot, but I tried shooting it in a way that didn’t reveal that it was, at least initially anyway…

50mm f/2.5 1/500 100 ISO

There was a total of seven locations at the hotel (JD missed one behind the scenes set up…he’s SO FIRED!) and I posed the couple two or three different ways in each location. The hotel portion of the engagement session yielded around 35 images, then we headed the beach to end the session. For this Reflections blog post, I specifically focused on the hotel portion of the shoot since it was the most difficult. When I walked into the hotel courtyard, I felt a wave of nerves, but then immediately set out to do what I know I can do…what I know anyone can do given the same situation. I hope this helps and if not, I’ll try again soon!

Happy Tuesday!

comments

1. Penny Wolfe

July 5th, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Awesome and inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing the behind the scenes!! Always…ALWAYS appreciated!!

2. Louis

July 5th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thank you for the explanation. Very good !

3. Carrie K

July 5th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Holy WOW. That’s so helpful to know what you work with to get the images that you had for this shoot. Did you draw that map before the couple arrived? And if you’ve shot at a location before do you still do the mapping plan? So helpful! Thank you:)

4. Liz Bedwell

July 5th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Jasmine, This is great info!!! Thank you so much! Keep on doing what you do! xoxoxo

5. Susan

July 5th, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Wow. You get amazing images from any location – and make it look easy. It’s so awesome of you to share this information!

6. Suzy G

July 5th, 2011 at 3:04 pm

This is awesome and reminds us all to push ourselves to see at a location, what others may not. Thats for always being inspiring.

7. Emily Crall

July 5th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I know that I should be commenting about how awesome this is and how informative and helpful this post is to finding creative spaces, but what I REALLY want to say first of all is that you have the most gorgeous handwriting ever! Can we please turn it into a font?!

Plus all of those other things…

8. Emilia Jane

July 5th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much Jasmine!!!!!

9. Amy McPherson Photography

July 5th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Your blogs are always so informational. I’m new to the business and I feel like I have a teacher right in front of me when I’m reading each post. Thanks!!

10. Dave

July 5th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

For me, this is by far the most helpful and informative post I’ve read in a while. It’s great to find out what is going through other photographers minds when they have a challenge on their hands.
    Oh, and Jasmine, that shot of you shooting in the carpark – great ass!

11. Jenelle Sewell

July 5th, 2011 at 3:24 pm

This is phenomenal! So insightful. I love the gritty feel of the hotel. Awesome approach to work with what you got.

12. annetta

July 5th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Thanks, Jasmine. Your reflections post are always very helpful.

13. DeShelia

July 5th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Jasmine – Thank for sharing this post. It really made sense to me. I’m often challenged with small or repeat locations. It’s helpful to see how you can maximize space and produce great images from so many angles.

14. Alli Mc

July 5th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Great post Jasmine! Thanks for the amazing insight!

15. TGA

July 5th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Helo Jasmine! Youre’ looking mighty fine in this picture! http://www.jasminestarblog.com/images/content/Natural-Light-Photography-Tips013.jpg

bootylicious if i must say so myself! The gym certainly does a body good :-)!

16. Pamela

July 5th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love this post. I am just getting started in photography (something I have always been interested in) and posts like these help a TON!! Thanks!!

17. Cassie Jones

July 5th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Jasmine, I LOVE these reflections posts! Thank you SO much ! I’ll put this away for one of those tricky locations days! Hope your week is wonderful!

18. viktorija

July 5th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This post was very helpful – thanks!!

19. carrie

July 5th, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Thank you so much for this post, I love how you walked through this shoot!!

20. Evie Perez

July 5th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Thank you Jasmine for giving us a little access on what goes on in your brain. These are always so helpful. And of course, thanks JD for the pictures.

21. Rachel Tatem

July 5th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

That’s funny. I wouldn’t have thought by those pictures what those locations looked like. Great job finding the beauty!

22. ROBIN HORTON

July 5th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love this type of blog, informative with images to help, how often do we take a shot then move to another spot take a shot and so on, I for one need to slow down and make the best use of a location before moving on, thanks Jasmine.

23. Natalie bray

July 5th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Sooooooo great! Love this post! Thanks for the behind the scenes shot they really help put things in perspective :).

24. LEOLAK

July 5th, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Awesome…great tips! Thank you!!! Oh just give JD a warning this time…but the next time he steps out of line….. 😉

25. Mary Marantz

July 5th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

awesome, awesome post!! I think it can be so easy to assume that it’s always….well, easy. That everything is always working and the light and location are always perfect. This shows the hard work that goes into it, and that with a little hustle you can always start with what ya got and make it work from there! Love it!

26. steven

July 5th, 2011 at 4:33 pm

another wonderful post! i look forward to your blog everyday.

27. Bianca

July 5th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Bippity boppity boo! And like THAT, you make ordinary extraordinary 🙂 I love you, sissy.

28. Sarah B

July 5th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Ahh – mazing!!! Thanks so much! 🙂

29. Sara

July 5th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one creating a shooting map. It always helped me remember the plan in the heat of the moment. Google Earth is a great way to scope out locations when your low on the gas tank or shooting a destination.

30. Dana

July 5th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

thank you as always love!!! 😉 this definitely helps! xo

31. Tim Burgess

July 5th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Brilliant informative post and great images 🙂

32. Kristin Nicole

July 5th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Love this…I know that moment of panic well…lol. Whenever it happens my husband reminds me of the 10×10 and we make it work.

33. Summer Miles

July 5th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

What a great approach! Thanks for sharing your behind-the-scenes moments. 🙂

34. Deborah Zoe

July 5th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

this is awesome Jasmine, thank you for sharing:)!!

35. Michelle Standerfer

July 5th, 2011 at 4:40 pm

J*, it’s no wonder you’re such a ROCK STAR!! That was so helpful and insightful. I feel like I think I’m going to do that, but don’t look at things for what they could be example the parking lot..= EPIC!! You’re fantastic and I love learning from your experiences…thank you for going the distance!!

36. Gaby Fuentes { NJ Wedding Photographer }

July 5th, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for sharing 🙂 Love this post. You are super super creative, and I hope your back gets better soon, but keep bringing JD anyways… we all love behind the scenes.

37. // Dani

July 5th, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Great one!! Helps. A lot.

38. Noa

July 5th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I always love hearing your thought processes, so thank you for sharing!! I’m a "make it work" kinda gal, so this speaks right to my heart.

39. Robyn

July 5th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

…and here I was all "ugh. J* has such an eye for the BEST locations" last week when I saw that parking lot shot. I didn’t realize it was you having an eye for ANY location. Brilliant. Thanks for revealing! 🙂

40. Maïa

July 5th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I agree, great tips !
    Oh, and I like your palm trees ^^

41. Damaris Mia

July 5th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I loved this! So informative. I feel that we sometimes (if not, a lot of times) get stuck in a predicament when we’re faced with locations we feel we cannot shoot in. But you proved that you can! So, THANK YOU 🙂 You rock. A lot 🙂

42. Christin

July 5th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Thank you for sharing. This was so helpful!

43. Girish

July 5th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

That’s brilliant. What a well explained walk through. Thanks for the exif data as well.

I know it might sound really dumb, but 50mm, is the prime 50mm 1.2 if am not wrong, Am I right.

Can I use the 50mm 1.8 as I have that lens and get the same result where ever a 50mm has been used by you.

Thanks in advance.

44. Sheila Hallmark

July 5th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Excellent post! You so Rock! for not holding back any "secrets"! I learn so much from you! Thank you!

45. Michelle

July 5th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I love this post! Thank you again for sharing the details with us! I have a notepad next to my desk where I make notes from all of your posts! I may be overlooking it, but do you have any videos or blog entries on how much or little to direct the clients? This seems to be what I struggle most with.

46. sandra fazzino

July 5th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

this was helpful on many levels. thank you for taking us step by step through your approach. you’re so good at articulating and recapturing your thought process… it’s a gift. xo

47. Kim

July 5th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Wow! Great tips Jasmine. Thanks so much. You have a great way of explaining things! Thanks!

48. Kate Douthwright

July 5th, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Very helpful Jasmine. Just goes to show, the location itself isn’t what matters, its the couple! Thanks for sharing this!

49. Kristie Bradley

July 5th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Thank you Jasmine! This is really helpful and so insightful into how you can be creative and make any location beautiful:)

50. Meredith Sledge

July 5th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Okay, this post was incredibly helpful for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

51. KB

July 5th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I love seeing inside your head!

52. Taryn

July 5th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Amazing!! So helpful…Love it!

53. Life with Kaishon

July 5th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

You made the Super 8 work perfectly. What a great session. GORGEOUS couple for sure! : )

54. Kimberly Murray

July 5th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

OMG! I love you for creating this post! It is sooo helpful. Quick question…About how long did it take you to get through all of the shots at the hotel?

55. Kim

July 5th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Thanks so much for behind the scenes reflection posts!!! LOVE this one!

56. Lori Sparkman

July 5th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

This is so great. Im often in this "less than desirable" situation. Its good to get such great tips and to see such great images come from average locations. Thanks again. 🙂

57. anna davidson

July 5th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Wow! Love this post. It made me think about how much you can do even with smal locations. I know what i’m practicing on this weekend, this and that backlit tree. 🙂 Thanks for leting us in to your brain!

58. Gina

July 5th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

A Fav post ! Love to read/see how you work your magic!

59. Noelia Kline

July 5th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thank you for the tips, it totally helps me put things in perspective. I appreciate it!

By the way, you should so have your handwriting be made into a font, LOVE IT!

60. Eddie

July 5th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Nice, informative post. I, too, like the exif data. It is very helpful to see how you are setting up the shots and your camera settings. Thanks, Jasmine

61. Molly

July 5th, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Wow I love all the detail you put in to this post. Thanks so much! It’s always nice to see how other people look at things.

62. Marten Holmes

July 5th, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Great photos, great article, but only 6!

63. Jeremy

July 5th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

thanks so much! tight spaces are always stressful…you’re the best

64. anna davidson

July 5th, 2011 at 5:37 pm

65. Tammynize

July 5th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Awesome post. Definitely learned something here. Thanks Jasmine!

66. Charlie

July 5th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Great Stuff Jasmine. These kind of posts are my favorite.

Thanks 🙂

67. Dailyn

July 5th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for this. I’m in the process of moving away from the more traditional shoot locations and this post really encourages me to go ahead with my plans. 🙂

68. dorie

July 5th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

girl, any woman who can rock leggings without a big, long top over them, can’t be all bad. 🙂

69. {leah}

July 5th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I love it when you do these posts. It makes the level of work that you do feel attainable when you reveal the less than ideal situations! <3

70. Vince

July 5th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

THANK YOU! It’s so great to have a glimpse of your thought process as you tackle a shoot location that isn’t quite what you hoped for. You really worked wonders with that place, and Shane and Mikaela look so at ease 🙂

71. Stephanie Stewart

July 5th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Such a helpful post! I find myself in the same situations…and remembering the 10×10 is such a wonderful way to overcome this! Thank you!

72. Jim

July 5th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Once again, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I love when you do these reflections and FAQ posts! This engagement set is stunning.

73. Michelle Edgerton

July 5th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Once again, thank you for your candor. I’m completely a go with the flow, work with you got girl, so I really appreciated the look into the inner workings of another

74. Caitlin Sullivan

July 5th, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Awesome post. Love seeing both angles. Oh you. Such a rockstar 🙂

75. Elizabeth C.

July 5th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

This is amazing. I mean seriously awesome. What a helpful post. PLEASE do more like this! Love love love.

76. Alexis

July 5th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Dear Jasmine,

Thank you for the photography advice!

Beautiful pictures!

True talent! God-given talent! 🙂 Keep using what God gave you.

77. Amanda

July 5th, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Ahh, thank you so much for this post! First of all, to know that you get nerves makes me feel way better that I sometimes get them too! And secondly, I feel far more prepared for the next time I feel like I am in a limiting sort of situation too. Thank you, Jasmine!!!

78. Kristin

July 5th, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Thanks for sharing this. This is really great to see. 🙂

79. Anna Lyndon

July 5th, 2011 at 8:12 pm

The "Reflections" posts are my favorite! Well done with a tough assignment. A little adrenaline can be a good thing! And I can totally tell you’re a wedding photographer because I’m pretty sure you typed "bride" every time where you meant to say "bridge." Got brides on the brain! Haha! I love it. 🙂

80. Adriana Morett

July 5th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

wow, once again, thank you SO much for this!! xoxo

81. Mani

July 5th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Great post as usual. I really love seeing photos of you working – it provides great insight into how to set up poses as well as how to set yourself up for the great shot.

– Manik

82. Cristina Rossi

July 5th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Brilliant post Jasmine as it is comforting and reassuring to see you can really make any location work with a bit of creativity. Thank you for sharing once again!! xx

83. Anna

July 5th, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I always learn LOADS from lesson posts like this, Jasmine! Thanks sooooo much!

84. Paula Franco

July 5th, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Thanks a lot for all the details and explanation of how you prepared the session. I always learn a lot from you. I also prepare the shoot in advance but usually one or two days before, in that way I can reach the session relax and self confidence. Regards!!

85. jessica vidmar

July 5th, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Hi Jasmine! You never cease to amaze me. You are an incredible gift to the photo community and getting to be quite a habit with me
    : ) thank you for sharing your knowledge and vision.

86. Kelsey {Las Vegas Wedding Photography}

July 5th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Love the behind the scenes!

87. Ana Gabriela

July 5th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Well done, I think you’ve mastered at making a place like this rock! xoxo

88. Jessica K. Sullivan

July 5th, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Yes! This post is so helpful. Thank you Jasmine! I also like to put a frame within a frame:) Oh, and I like that jacket, lol!

89. Jon

July 5th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Great post. I could easily follow your process on location. Well done.

90. brian Thompson

July 5th, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for putting this post up its really great to get behind the scene’s with a great photographer.

91. Kare

July 5th, 2011 at 10:29 pm

So very helpful – you can work your magic anywhere! Just don’t fire JD.

92. Nicole Cook

July 5th, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Wow, this is so helpful! I think I would’ve panicked and left to find something "better" but you got some great shots! P.S. I LOVE YOUR HANDWRITING!

93. Ali

July 5th, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Thank you, Jasmine, this is so interesting and helpful! I was wondering if there was a reason that the bride picked this hotel as a location?

94. cara

July 5th, 2011 at 10:40 pm

*fantastic* post! Seriously, JD’s photos helped illustrate what you do (okay, literally), but really amped up the lessons you’re conveying — awesome, thank you!

95. Peta

July 5th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

you are some kinda wonderful, love the fact you share so much about the way you shoot. You are my teacher. So thanks Teach! x

96. aj

July 5th, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Everyone on here are visual people, so it helps to have visual lessons. I love your video blogs but sometimes they have so much infomation in them that I get lost. A HUGE THANK YOU THIS HELPS A LOT.

97. MelissaFoscardo

July 6th, 2011 at 1:02 am

For some reason, the phrase "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time" comes to mind…or something like that 🙂 Take little snips from a location and make it look like a million bucks. Thanks for the awesome tips!

98. Agi Magyar

July 6th, 2011 at 1:09 am

Thanks for explaining the different shots! These sorts of things help us most I believe – You seem to be a fab team w JD 🙂

99. Jim Schofield

July 6th, 2011 at 1:19 am

Jasmine,
    Many thanks for a great post. I had never thought of a shooting map, having relied on remembering too much for too long. Well done.
    Regards,
    Jim

100. Tanya Weekes

July 6th, 2011 at 1:39 am

I LOVE this post!! Thankyou for explaining and extra thanks for including the camera settings – I just got a 50mm F/1.4 and instantly cranked it up to F/1.4 the minute I got it out the box thinking that was somehow the key to something…but seeing your shots has made me realise that actually you can rock f/2.5 and get fabulouso shots too and actually, its not all about reaching for the highest F stop possible X x Every day’s a learning day!

101. Jessica Chavez

July 6th, 2011 at 2:15 am

Sooo useful!! I probably say this every time but Thanks Jasmine!! Your work is beautiful, but taking the time to post to help us newbies I love!! Thank JD ’cause he also does a great job on the behind the scenes pix!!

102. kayla :)

July 6th, 2011 at 2:33 am

oh Jasmine. You.Are.So.Brillant. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts 🙂 You always seem to inspire me.

103. ashley barnett

July 6th, 2011 at 3:20 am

Thanks Jasmine! So funny, I think their e-session was one of my all time favorites! Funny to think it was one you had a little bit of nerves about at the beginning! 🙂

104. Wedding Snapper

July 6th, 2011 at 5:34 am

I find it fascinating how other photographers approach their shoots. Jasmine, you’re a little more structured than me – I dive in and sometimes get too focussed on one area rather than looking at the bigger scene. A few tips to learn from here!

105. Jenda

July 6th, 2011 at 6:50 am

Amazing thanks J* 🙂

106. Kellee

July 6th, 2011 at 7:00 am

Great post. I need to start planning shoots out in my head!

107. aubry

July 6th, 2011 at 7:09 am

how do you take such an ordinary location and totally rock it! i’m so inspired!

108. Jan M F

July 6th, 2011 at 8:06 am

I like the pictures at the beach from the same shooting much more but now I understand HOW challanging your location was. I hope, Mikaela has a strong relation to this spot! 😉 Thanks for sharing your approach and thoughts!
    Greetings from Germany!

109. sarah

July 6th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

love these. as always, THANK YOU. THANK YOU for being so generous with your knowledge!

110. Julie Hartman

July 6th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Love it Jasmine! I woulda freaked!! You’re amazing!

111. Applehead Studio

July 6th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting

112. JoAnna Johnson

July 6th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for another fantastic post again.

113. Shannon M.

July 6th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I don’t comment often, but this was by far the best post! It was a great explanation of all the shots and I love that you included the shot you actually got from each vantage point! Very helpful and very good write-up of how you approached the day – THANK YOU!

114. Mikaela

July 6th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

so interesting to see what was going on in your head that day!! thanks for sharing and you see, this is just one of the many reasons why we love you! 🙂

115. megan

July 6th, 2011 at 6:20 pm

thanks for the awesome post and for the inspiration to always look around for different perspectives!! 🙂

116. Sean

July 6th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Fantastic post as always Jasmine! I love your behind-the-scenes stuff. I always learn so much! Thanks!

117. Sarah

July 6th, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Well explained…(I make maps and plans for a living, or I used to, anyway..)

Clever use of your logo.
    As an armchair brand analyst (I have an MBA, I can’t help it)…nice use of the red star. 😉

118. Melanie

July 6th, 2011 at 7:19 pm

So helpful! I get in those panic "what do I do next" scenarios and this totally helps!

119. Yuliya Molitvenik

July 6th, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Jasmine, this was so great. It helps to know that I’m not the only one stuck at shoots sometimes. I loved how you said that on the stairs they smiled at you and you at them and it just wasn’t working. Thank you for your honesty. I can’t believe you only took 35 image at the hotel, I need to push myself to shoot more creatively and less. Thank you again!

120. Becky

July 6th, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Jasmine! This was spectacularly helpful – as always. Thank you! 🙂

121. chrissy mathew

July 6th, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Great, informative post as usual! thanks for always sharing x

122. Maxine

July 6th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Jasmine, these reflections posts are always so insightful! I love how you address some of the toughest things that we as photographers usually have to muddle through. Thank you! I loved the one next to the window and the one in the parking lot – you rocked it!

123. Marissa Nicole

July 6th, 2011 at 9:16 pm

This is a great example of how you don’t have to have the most ah-mazing location in order to get a great session. Maybe the location looked better in person, but in the behind the scenes photos it was nothing awe inspiring, but you managed to make it really pop & look pretty. Deffinately makes me think differently about how i use locations. Thanks for sharing.

124. Rachel Havel

July 6th, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I love your willingness to share insight. Way to utilize the location and get some great photos.

125. AMY JENSEN

July 6th, 2011 at 11:53 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the behind-the-scenes stuff … I’m learning sooo much! Thank you!

126. Victor - Seattle Wedding Photographer

July 7th, 2011 at 1:32 am

Thank you so much for this post! It’s always great to see how other photographers work. Behind the scenes posts are my favorite! 🙂

127. Jennifer Hudspeth

July 7th, 2011 at 3:53 am

I am so happy you posted this. You have no idea how much this helped me out. It also made me feel a little more normal because I do the same thing. So, thanks for being awesome. : )

128. Karina Bravo

July 7th, 2011 at 8:43 am

I related so much to this! I think this happens to everyone…Thank you!

129. Christine Pinalto

July 7th, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Thank you, Jasmine! This is so helpful. You’re the best!

130. Giovanna Mandel

July 7th, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Creative eye ,baby, creative eye!

131. Wendy Ramos

July 7th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

This is such a good post. Many times I have the same problem; great way of thinking about location shoots. Thanks for sharing!

132. elizabeth s.

July 8th, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Jasmine and JD, thanks for a very informative post.

133. bobbie brown

July 8th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I felt a wave of nerves for you just seeing the behind-the-scenes shots…then, your shot shows awesome-ness! You rock girl! I loved seeing all these and hearing your thoughts 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

July 8th, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Wow, you can make any location look amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

135. Heather Corporan

July 9th, 2011 at 1:18 am

This is AWESOME Jasmine. It’s so encouraging to see how you work! Thanks oodles!

136. Karine Ardault

July 10th, 2011 at 10:30 am

as usual, great info. thanks thanks thank.
    I like to think you are my personal mentor (you just do not really know about it 😉 ) as no one can play that role here in east africa.
    Have a great week-end.

137. Victor Arias

July 10th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Just one word, Guayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! (that’s my scream) Lol you’re Awesome! Thank you for this post

138. David Ferguson | Brisbane wedding photographer

July 10th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Like the behind the scenes idea, thanks for sharing that.

139. alex jo

July 11th, 2011 at 2:23 am

hi jas! learned a lot from this. thanks!

140. Michelle Hebert

July 11th, 2011 at 2:51 am

Love seeing your mind in action! Thanks for sharing…I am TOTALLY a visual person!

141. David Keating | Denver Family Photographer

July 11th, 2011 at 7:13 am

Jasmine, I need to remember to visit your blog more! You’ve written some of my all time favorite photography blog posts, and this one is right up there with the rest of them. Thank you!

142. Mangodays Photography Wiltshire

July 11th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us; I am currently trying to experiment in the work I do ways to get a more of a scope and height in to the angles in which I take photos from. This is useful to say the least!

143. Abby Grace Photography

July 11th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

this is awesome- thank you! I feel like I’m always struggling to find locations, but it’s helpful to know that you can shoot in a way that disguises wherer you are. Love it!

144. Christy Cropper

August 4th, 2011 at 2:08 am

wowza. it’s so easy (or at least you make it look easy) when you put in a little footwork beforehand. very helpful. thank you!

145. Bianca Lanae

September 2nd, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I must say Mrs. Jas you have an amazing badonkadonk. 2nd to last image.

146. Beautiful Life Wedding Videos