Sacramento, Photography, and Denny’s

Sacramento, Photography, and Denny’s

Photography

It was close to 11:30pm. I curled up on the hotel bed in a fetal position and craved sleep, but that’s when JD reminded me of my ravaging hunger. I hadn’t eaten almost the entire day because of how nervous I get to speak in front of large crowds, but when he mentioned food, I almost ate my pillow. I quickly changed and we scoured the freezing streets of Sacramento for an open restaurant.

We found Denny’s two blocks away.

We ate and reviewed the day. The presentation for Professional Photographers of Sacramento Valley went well and we compared notes of all the amazing people we met. The room was filled to capacity with 115 fabulous photographers, and I felt right at home as they welcomed us like family. It was awesome.

As we were about to leave Denny’s, a man walked in a sat a table across from us. Non-descript, multiple sweaters, nervous shake. Though we were uncertain, we soon guessed he was someone down on his luck, perhaps with special needs. He ate by himself, and reviewed the nutrition facts on the menu for what seemed like an eternity.

Our bill arrived and we went to the cashier to pay. JD handed over payment, then quietly asked our waitress if he could pay for both bills–ours and the gentleman who sat across from us. It was as if he read my heart. Without words, he knew exactly what to do…what should be done.

Thank you, Sacramento, for making me fall more in love with my husband’s heart.

Speaking of my husband, he forgot to bring his camera to the presentation last night. Hold on, let me repeat that: HE FORGOT HIS CAMERA. Don’t worry, folks…he’s a professional. In lieu of this, I decided to host a last-minute contest! Many congrats to…

Kira Lauren

We’re so gangsta…

Jennifer Brotchie

Diane Jago…this is my favorite photo of the night. Diane even blogged she saw JD laughing at my jokes. Oh, Internet, this is PROOF my husband thinks I’m funny…booyah!

Lastly, many thanks to Jon Orfanos for making us feel extra welcomed!

comments

1. Jennifer Brotchie -

AWWW! Thanks J*, you are the best!!! Wow!!!!

11.19.09 - 8:53 pm

2. Sharon -

The last image!! I love it!

11.19.09 - 9:03 pm

3. Sharon Benton -

Dang girl…amazing! Thanks, thanks, thanks! (Oh, before I start the gushing, I have to tell you, my husband and I hit Denny’s on the way home from PPSV too) ! I had so many thought flying through my head last night…and to be honest, I couldn’t now tell you what they all were. But, for the first time in along time, I felt re-excited about "things". I loved so much of what you shared. I love the fact that you didn’t have a slide show. I loved how real you were. Soooo, I’m going to start blogging more. I’ve wanted to. But, didn’t really think people would be that interested in whats going on in my personal life. My life is good, I like my life. Duhhh, thinking about it now, that just seems so obvious. So, thanks for traveling 300 mile to tell me! I hope our paths cross again. Eat Lot’s of turkey! (Left over turkey sandwiches by the fire place can be very romantic too)! :O)

11.19.09 - 9:05 pm

4. Patti Mustain -

You and JD were awesome! Both as kind hearted as ever. Thanks for all the wonderful conversation at dinner before hand with the PPSV group and the open spiritedness of you both. JD is adorable! And as he stands off to the side, seems to so enjoy seeing you as you speek. I came away with many new ideas and you confirmed so much of what I was already doing. That felt so good! Thank you, thank you for being so inspirational!

11.19.09 - 9:06 pm

5. anda -

WHOOAAAA YEAAAAHHH!!! Way to go, Jennifer Brotchie (and the others)!! Jennifer and I originally connected because of comments left on your site 4 months ago, Jasmine. We have been in touch since. I love this small world and how it all connects 🙂

11.19.09 - 9:09 pm

6. jamie delaine -

your gangster face is impressive.

11.19.09 - 9:13 pm

7. Kare -

Your dinner story made me tear up – now I love JD even more, too.

11.19.09 - 9:13 pm

8. tanya -

posts like these are why i read your blog.

11.19.09 - 9:16 pm

9. Amanda Chapman -

How very kind of you and JD to open your hearts and wallets to a guy downn on his luck. This makes me want to go out and do this very thing….I think I will!

11.19.09 - 9:17 pm

10. Kira Lauren Photography -

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!! WHAAAT?!? Thanks soooo much, Jasmine? Can you just see the excitement in my typing!? You rock. I’m very grateful. Can’t wait to rock my Showit Site!

11.19.09 - 9:20 pm

11. Kristi Garrett -

Go ahead Jonathan! However, I do have to say that although you did capture an endearing image of JD, the goofball in the background with her G9 kinda screws it up. 🙂

11.19.09 - 9:23 pm

12. feuza -

That is so awesome when two people are so insync in their thoughts, what a great gesture, and JD for sure thinks you are funny

11.19.09 - 9:25 pm

13. Jennifer Moon -

This was my first PPSV meeting and I can think of no better way to be indoctrinated! You inspired me to go home and start writing about who I really am today. To think about love, giving and my own heart and soul. You made a difference in this photographer’s business and life.

You are a Rockstar, preach!

11.19.09 - 9:27 pm

14. Laura Newman -

Hey Miss Beautiful! I had an amazing time last night, hearing you talk to us for real… not mincing words and trying to be all hoity toity…. PREACH! 😉 I was impressed with how genuine you were, to the point of saying things that probably made a few people squirm in their seats (bio photo, HELLO?!)… haha. You were great, and I really appreciated what you had to say. I was talking to JD and was telling him that I wished I had brought my slr camera too (no, I didn’t forget… just a dumb decision!); because from where I was sitting I could see JD, and every time you said something funny, or got emotional about your past trials, his face was SO precious. He wore his adoration and love for you openly on his face and it touched me. He reminds me of my own amazing husband, who looks at me in the same way. It makes me feel like a million bucks!! 🙂 I know you probably get this ALL.THE.TIME. but if you are ever in the area, we’d love to hang out. JD said he loves him some martial arts… and my husband teaches it, so maybe we could hook you up with some cool moves over a dinner or something!
    Thanks again for sharing part of the REAL you with us all last night! Love, Laura (the blog follower since 2006, mom to 3)

11.19.09 - 9:39 pm

15. ashley o. -

you know what else is awesome? jd is the ONLY one laughing in the last photo.. i think you two are meant to be :c)

11.19.09 - 9:46 pm

16. Angela -

When did you come to Sacramento? And how can I not know about this? I love your work and I missed out. 🙁

11.19.09 - 9:48 pm

17. Dianne Jago -

THANK YOU SO MUCH JASMINE!!!!! You made my yesterday and you made my today! I’m so glad you liked the picture of JD and I’m very excited to try out SHOWIT! This definitely gives me an opportunity to begin the branding process. You are a blessing!

11.19.09 - 9:52 pm

18. Diandra -

Okay I cried from laughing at the fact that you almost ate your pillow.

Then I just cried. Cuz JD has an awesome heart. And so do you. And I want to hug that man.

AND I should really add that your gangster face gives mine a run for its money 🙂

11.19.09 - 9:59 pm

19. erma -

OMG.. you guys are so beyond awesome.. I love you even more.. this story totally made my day.. so thank you!

11.19.09 - 9:59 pm

20. Jihan Cerda -

I’m so happy Jennifer’s photo made! She is one of three I met last night. J* what a pleasure to be there last night….and I know the baby was enjoying your speech because man, he was kicking me alllll night!!! Thanks again!

11.19.09 - 10:05 pm

21. Carolyn Clement -

I think we sometimes forget what a difference opening our hearts, even just a little, can do for others. Thanks for passing this on. Consideration and compassion can be contagious!

11.19.09 - 10:09 pm

22. Tammy Stark -

Jasmine! I had no idea you were in Sac. I would have sooooo been there. Paaaaleeeeasse tell me when you’ll be in Sac-Town again! Wait! Are you still in Sac? Speaking again tonight? *keeping my fingers crossed* 😉

Thx! Love your Blog and your work. You Rock, Chicka!

11.19.09 - 10:15 pm

23. jeramy -

good on you jd!

11.19.09 - 10:16 pm

24. diane (www.sagephoto.com) -

You guys are just to adorable! Thanks for sharing the love!

11.19.09 - 10:25 pm

25. Chris Shepard -

Wow, such a great presentation!! It wasn’t anything like what I expected… in a good way. I learned a lot and can’t thank you enough for making the trip up to Sacramento, I left very inspired!

11.19.09 - 10:31 pm

26. Susanne -

Thank you sooooo much for last night!!! You are such an inspiration to me. Now I’m off to work on my bio… (guilty!) 😉

11.19.09 - 10:53 pm

27. Wendy Hithe -

I swear… I still feel the amazing energy from the room. You were incredible Jasmine! In-Cred-Ible. Preach!! Seriously – you made my year. Come back and visit us soon! 🙂

11.20.09 - 12:59 am

28. Sergey -

Loved your presentation. The thing about the goats– big eye opener. 🙂

Come visit us again soon!

11.20.09 - 1:17 am

29. Sergey -

Loved your presentation. The thing about the goats– big eye opener. 🙂

Come visit us again soon!

11.20.09 - 1:17 am

30. Olivia -

Hi there! I enjoy your photography and just thought I’d drop a line to tell you!

11.20.09 - 1:25 am

31. Kia Gregory -

It was truly a gift to listen to you yesterday and you are a gift to the photog world! Thanks! Working on getting [b]ecker to get you on a study hall!

11.20.09 - 1:37 am

32. Katie Whitcomb -

For the record, I thought your jokes were funny. 🙂

11.20.09 - 1:40 am

33. lroah -

Um, I think I just may love JD. He is awesome. 🙂 You so married the right guy. Hope to see you again soon!

11.20.09 - 1:58 am

34. alex.kruk photography -

I like the gangsta picture ! 😉

11.20.09 - 2:04 am

35. Kay Drenth -

OMWord! You have no idea. I am still flying high after getting to meet you even for a brief minute after the print contest. It was so worth driving 12 hours from Washington with a four year old boy who has now discovered that peeing on the side of the road is the best thing since sliced bread. (he says it makes him feel free. must be a boy thing?)

I left the PPSV so inspired and ready to not let anything hold me back! Thank you so much!

Oh and by the way, I do clap "like that" at church. Uh huh! 😉

11.20.09 - 2:07 am

36. Brian Fletcher -

Way to go, JD! Good man….

11.20.09 - 2:19 am

37. Pol -

Sounds like a fab event! Your husband is a real angel, isn’t he 🙂

11.20.09 - 2:53 am

38. Teresa K -

For anyone who may have been wondering…I’m here to tell you that these two are the REAL DEAL…no joke…thanks for coming out to Sactown and sharing your knowledge and inspiration…you’re truly contagious in the best way ever…

11.20.09 - 3:20 am

39. Amanda Basteen -

I envy how you so easily tell about your life and that is what captures your clients! Great job thinking on your feet! 🙂

11.20.09 - 4:02 am

40. Annette -

This was also my first PPSV meeting, you’ve also inspired me to get back to blogging..mine is so out of date now! Thanks for a wonderful evening!!

11.20.09 - 4:02 am

41. Jamie -

Sounds like an amazing time. It only make me jealous. Could you please come to Indiana? SERIOUSLY!!

11.20.09 - 4:08 am

42. Jennifer Dunham Starr -

So good to see you Jasmine! I’m glad I was able to at least eat dinner with you (while you didn’t eat due to nerves). 🙂 hugs!

11.20.09 - 4:11 am

43. Morgan Werner -

I was at the PPSV meeting, and I was kicking myself for not bringing my camera! I really loved your presentation and will be emailing you soon with 2,359,863,498,634 questions that I didn’t think of until I was on the way home.

BTW: In the Kira Lauren photo that you chose, the guy in the front row sitting to the left of the blonde lady was MY wedding photographer almost three years ago!

11.20.09 - 6:27 am

44. Alexandra -

While I was sitting next to you at dinner, I was thinking that you thought the food was so bad you hardly touched it! Now I know why. And did you notice you were *THIS* close to having a full glass of Pepsi all over you! LOL!

11.20.09 - 7:37 am

45. Tim May -

Good on ya JD.

11.20.09 - 10:36 am

46. Events by Evonne -

You and JD are such good souls. Bless your hearts!

11.20.09 - 11:13 am

47. Heather James -

Oh Jasmine, JD’s kindness (and yours) brought a little tear to my eye. It’s the little things in life that make someone happy and full, isn’t it?

11.20.09 - 11:40 am

48. Stephanie Stewart -

Yes, please come to Indiana…how about Indianapolis??? 😉

11.20.09 - 1:24 pm

49. alex -

i love that second shot!

she looks gorgeous in that shot!

11.20.09 - 6:25 pm

50. Thomas Kuhl -

Jasmine—I came to see what this young woman who has only been doing weddings for 3 years and why is she so successful? Now I know. What a people person! You know you are like EF Hutton. When Jasmine Star speaks, people listen. Keep up the great work!

11.20.09 - 8:17 pm

51. Life with Kaishon -

You are so beautiful!

I love that you payed for the stranger. Beautiful hearts are my most favorite thing about a person. Very beautiful hearts!

11.20.09 - 9:17 pm

52. Ivona -

You’re so stinkin’ cute! Heyyyy…where’d you get that top from? super cute!

11.20.09 - 9:38 pm

53. Andy Pischalnikoff -

Jasmine, thank you for coming to Sacramento and sharing your knowledge.

You were a real eye-opener and you reinforced many things other well know photographers have said about social networking. I like how you are really into blogging and cross marketing – brilliant!

Hope you can come up again sometime.

See my wild pix of burning man at http://www.flickr.com/playarazzi

Andy

11.21.09 - 7:28 am

54. Kristy -

I’ll admit that I’m a Jasmine Star blog stalker. This is my first comment so I guess I’m out of the closet. 🙂 I’ve been looking forward to your lecture for months. I am so inspired by your words and passion!! Thank you so much for being true to yourself and giving everyone around you the courage to do the same.

11.21.09 - 5:38 pm

55. Leyla -

That was a really sweet gesture from JD! Way to go guys… You both are truly amazing are a continuous inspiration to me! xoxo

11.21.09 - 8:41 pm

56. Emily Heizer Photography -

Noooo! You came to Sacramento and didn’t see me! I am so hurt Jasmine! You have to remember to really prioritize me- a total stranger you’ve never met and didn’t know lived here! lol
    Awww, sorry I missed you! 🙁

11.22.09 - 3:46 am

57. iska -

I love your work!!! I love your photos, your style…
    Regards from Poland!!!!

11.22.09 - 9:08 am

58. Peg Buckner -

So fun to chat with you in person, that night! Thanks for choosing my question first and making my night with your sweet compliments!! I wanted to ask more questions, like, do you have your clients come back for ordering more prints and products? Afterwards? You’re a great speaker and we all love you, love the way you speak from the heart and the throat when you get choked up about your sweet mom’s stories! thanks for all you gave to us… and thanks for your sweet response when we told you about our drive over donner summit! xoxo!

11.22.09 - 6:07 pm

59. Lou -

waitaminute… How did I not know you were gonna’ be up here in Sactown? Man… Talk about a massive fail. :/ Glad you enjoyed it though. 🙂

11.24.09 - 4:28 pm

60. Vanessa Corral -

Can’t believe I miss your visit to Sac. I read your blog regularly, but for the last month I’ve been busy in my little world. Maybe next time!! I hope there will be a next time! You are such an inspiration…not just your photography, but you seem to be a genuinely kind person! I hope to meat you some day! :0)

11.26.09 - 7:09 am

61. Sactalent -

Really Cool, Specialy The First And The Last Shot.

12.4.09 - 5:47 am