Shelly and Brett : Wedding

Shelly and Brett : Wedding

Photography

She peered out of the passenger side window before exiting the car. Shelley carried a small box of bridal belongings as she stepped from the car and clutched it close to her chest, looking to the grey sky. Immediately, her bridesmaids positively chirped of a rainless day. What do clouds mean, anyway? At least it’s not hot. And if it does rain, it’s supposed to be good luck!

Shelley looked at the sky again and smiled. The day, regardless of the weather, was going to be beautiful. Afterall, she was marrying the man of her childhood daydreams.

A few years ago, Brett told his older brother he was done dating. Over it. The next girl he dated was going to be his wife. Little did Brett realize he was to find her at a friend’s wedding. He was finishing his residency in Oklahoma, but when he saw Shelley, he knew a part of his heart would remain in Orange County.

Last Saturday, Shelley and Brett promised their lives to each other where it all began: At a wedding. Their day was beautiful and the scattered showers didn’t drench the spirit of the day because it wasn’t about details of the wedding, it was about two amazing people committing their hearts to one another.

Shelley and Brett…I struggle to find the right words to tell you. From the moment we met, I knew we’d be friends. Your passion and sincerity for life and each other is contagious and I was extraordinarily honored to be a part of your wedding day. I wish you nothing but happiness, joy, and contentment for eternity! Have fun on your honeymoon and I can’t wait to hear about everything when you return! Much Love and Appreciation…J*

Shelley and Brett’s wedding was held at one of my FAVORITE wedding venues: Rancho Las Lomas

Nothing screams ooh la la more than a Monique Lhuillier wedding gown…

A few Rancho Las Lomas wedding details as completed by the lovely Courtney Toney of Joyful Weddings and Events

The ceremony site prettified by the fabulous Kristin of The Treasured Petal

And, yes, I realize I was having a love affair with Shelley’s awesome bouquet…

The ever dapper Brett

Just after the recessional…

My favorite shot of the day…

Rancho Las Lomas reception details, as designed by The Treasured Petal

I just ADORE Amy of Vanilla Bake Shop…she always does an impeccable job and her cupcakes are divine! 🙂

Listening to Shelley’s father deliver a toast…

The First Dance

To view more of their fabulous wedding, CLICK HERE for a slideshow!

comments

1. Shannon Lott -

Hey Jasmine! Beautiful wedding. Love the portrait of her by the door!
    PS: thanks for stopping by to check up on Ali and Matt! Take care.

2.26.08 - 9:26 pm

2. joyful weddings and events -

hooray! beautiful beautiful! I love em all! Especially the shot of her bouquet against her dress & your fav. Amazing job as always! I would really like another cupcake.

2.26.08 - 9:36 pm

3. joyful weddings and events -

p.s. the sweetest couple. so glad we both got to be a part of their day!

2.26.08 - 9:37 pm

4. Lauri -

WOW! These are so so completely beautiful. I love all of them! And the details are amazing. Just gorgeous 🙂

2.26.08 - 9:51 pm

5. WeezerMonkey -

Beautiful!

2.26.08 - 9:52 pm

6. Andrea -

Gorgeous, Jasmine! How do you capture the ambience and glow of the room and still get perfect exposure?!

2.26.08 - 9:57 pm

7. Cynthia Q. -

Gorgeous couple, gorgeous wedding (love the details), and gorgeous wedding pics! I LUV their engagement pics too!

2.26.08 - 9:57 pm

8. Michael Corsentino -

Hey Jazz! Really stunning images. Your clients are so lucky to have your amazing eye and beautiful artistry during their special day. I know your awesome images will be a treasured family heirloom for the rest of their lives. Pretty powerful stuff when think about it. Thanks for sending the love our way 🙂 Much love to you and JD – Michael

2.26.08 - 10:00 pm

9. Nataly -

What a beautiful couple! Beautiful images as well 😉

2.26.08 - 10:05 pm

10. Mark Brooke -

Solid!!!! J* you rocked this one!

2.26.08 - 10:09 pm

11. Simply Modern Weddings -

Absolutely stunning photos j*! RLL is my favorite venue to do weddings as well…it’s just so beautiful.

2.26.08 - 10:23 pm

12. Amy -

Beautiful job Jasmine! I love the blue window pane in the background of the one with her holding the bouquet!

2.26.08 - 10:30 pm

13. katelin -

I’ve been reading your blog/admiring your pictures for a while and never commented but I absolutely love every picture from this wedding. They are gorgeous. 🙂

2.26.08 - 10:36 pm

14. ashleyb -

I am in love with those gorgeous shoes! Pictures are beautiful as always 🙂

2.26.08 - 10:39 pm

15. Melissa Koehler -

Jasmine, these are so beautiful! You really seemed to capture their emotion with each other and the day! Your work is always inspiring!

2.26.08 - 10:51 pm

16. B -

Jas, this shoot was amazing. The weather couldn’t dampen your skills 🙂 Please post some of DJ’s pictures, too.

2.26.08 - 10:53 pm

17. kymberli q. -

These. are. BEAUTIFUL!! I am so sad that I didn’t know about you when I got married. 🙁

Again, just beautiful!! They are going to LOVE these!

2.26.08 - 10:56 pm

18. kristin -

Wow, I will never forget that beautiful day! They are going to be overjoyed as they pour over each and every one of these pics. Shelley is the kind of girl who is just as beautiful on this inside as on the out. A truly sweet, gentle spirit. And you, my friend, have captured that perfectly!! I hope I can work with you again very soon!!!

2.26.08 - 11:02 pm

19. Donna -

As always you did a fabulous job!

2.26.08 - 11:05 pm

20. Jamie Delaine -

Oh my goodness. Don’t you just LOVE a Monique gown? Everytime I see one, my heart skips a beat. Wow. I believe Monique makes the best gowns in the WORLD! 🙂 The bride looks stunning: Great wedding Jasmine!

2.26.08 - 11:11 pm

21. Trista -

Beautiful Jasmine!! The gown, shoes, details are just gorgeous! Kristin did a FANtabulous job as always..that bouquet is to die for!!

2.26.08 - 11:31 pm

22. Mary Jane -

Way to go J*! You’re amazing in every way! xoxo

2.26.08 - 11:37 pm

23. Jeanette -

Simply gorgeous!! You couldn’t even tell that it was a somewhat gloomy day…they both looked great and your shots are beautiful!! I love the very last picture…you can feel the love she has him as well as his love for her as his face is slightly snuggled in her hair…LOVE IT!

2.26.08 - 11:47 pm

24. allie -

W.O.W. I have no words!!! First, your words were beautiful. The images- they’re remarkable. Just stunning. The bride and groom are just beautiful- how amazing- all of it!

2.27.08 - 12:16 am

25. Eddie Bojorquez (Studio512) -

Jasmine…
    this is very well told – both in word and in image. Great job capturing the day!
    -E

2.27.08 - 12:19 am

26. cassandra m -

LOVE IT! The music on the slideshow rocks too! 😉

2.27.08 - 12:22 am

27. Jasmine* -

@Andrea: The bridal cottage at RLL is a beast to shoot in!! It’s so, so dark and makes lighting just brutal. However, there are two small windows and I tried to position myself so that the window light was on the bride’s face and expose for that. Obviously, I had to lighten also in PS, but I shot wide open using a 50mm f/1.4, 1600, 100th/second…or something very close to that! 🙂

2.27.08 - 12:31 am

28. angel swanson -

absolutely gorgeous!! you, kris & courtney did a fab job!

2.27.08 - 12:32 am

29. Jenn -

I just discovered your blog today and WOW! You have so much talent! All of your work and especially this wedding is amazing!

2.27.08 - 12:37 am

30. Frances -

Beautiful, as always. Great job! I really like the first photo. Love the contrast.

2.27.08 - 12:40 am

31. erin. -

absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations to the new bride & groom!

2.27.08 - 12:44 am

32. heather broom -

awesome pics as always J*! you’re such an inspiration to me and my photog business buddy!

2.27.08 - 12:49 am

33. Dennis Urbiztondo -

Well done…

2.27.08 - 12:58 am

34. alicia -

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! there’s nothing left to say!

2.27.08 - 1:51 am

35. ricki ford -

Beautiful Jasmine, Love the ones of the bride and groom together.

2.27.08 - 2:05 am

36. Daniel J Pesta -

This wedding rocks the house, I am just astounded at how you get your detail and reception shots to be just as awesome as the well lit ceremony and formals.

I can’t wait to produce detail and wedding shots at half this caliber. You rock,

Dan

2.27.08 - 2:11 am

37. j.ro -

beautiful! and i love the shoes hanging on the door … very unique and creative!

2.27.08 - 2:15 am

38. Bonnie T -

Beautiful photos, Jasmine! And I LOVE that cake!!

2.27.08 - 2:59 am

39. katherine Bowman -

that is the best shoe picture i’ve ever seen! great pics!

2.27.08 - 3:00 am

40. Michelle Ellis Photography -

Wonderful!

Had to sneak out of lurkdom to say how great these images are.

2.27.08 - 3:24 am

41. Jasmine Marie -

You capture the best detail shots. The cupcake-cake is to die for!

2.27.08 - 3:25 am

42. Tiffany -

I agree! You have a way of capturing details…so beautiful!

2.27.08 - 3:36 am

43. Christa -

I have yet to be married, but when I do, I’m TOTALLY calling u!

2.27.08 - 4:06 am

44. wale -

these are incredible. looked through them to pick a favorite. my i honestly love them all. great job!

2.27.08 - 4:26 am

45. marieboyer -

What templates do you use for the beautiful photo layouts?

I love them!

2.27.08 - 10:40 am

46. whitney elizabeth -

jasmine…those are awesome! i especially love the first shot with the shoes on the door knob! 🙂

2.27.08 - 1:04 pm

47. Maya -

Beautiful! The emotion from the day scream out through these!

2.27.08 - 1:55 pm

48. carrie@urbanbaby -

these are beautiful jasmine. 06, 13 and the cupcake shots are incredible. have a fantastic week! -c

2.27.08 - 2:21 pm

49. Bartekm -

Hot daaamn these are fantastic! Super crisp, buttery and you used the light perfectly. Quick question, do you normally slightly overexpose and then pull back if you need to? Or vice versa? Do you use the exposure bar on the camera to gauge this?

2.27.08 - 2:53 pm

50. Angela Fielding -

I love these shots! You’re amazing!!! I’m going to WPPI. I hope I get to meet you there.

2.27.08 - 4:08 pm

51. Shelly Valentine -

I absolutely love your work! You just seem like such a fun person and I think your personality really shines through you blog and work! Thanks for sharing!

2.27.08 - 5:21 pm

52. Korey -

Beautiful! The rain didn’t affect this wedding at all, in fact the clouds are kind of dreamy. 🙂

2.27.08 - 5:48 pm

53. david & kimi baxter -

love love love your details of the cupcake cake! mmm…cupcakes.

2.27.08 - 5:55 pm

54. Nick Lancer -

Photoshop Tricks: Two Layers: Start with one photo & sharpen it, done. Same photo, copy and create another layer over the sharp photo and use graussian blur and blur it. So you have the blur OVER the sharp. Now, use the erase tool using a mildly soft opacity and clear out the blur and show the underlying sharp photo. And THAT’S the ballpark with what everyone tends to do with their photo. Obviously taking GOOD shots is a great starting point but that’s just a part of it. Shoot in RAW ALWAYS to play around with the colors. Even though people like Becker RAVE about NEVER shooting in RAW. Can’t see that happening in JPEG. Good Luck..! More information, less secrets…! : ) -Nick

2.27.08 - 6:49 pm

55. Danielle -

Wow Jasmine! I’ve never commented on your photos before, but they just keep getting better and better! My favorite of these is the one with in the center Brett and his groomsmen in the background. The focus is so perfectly crisp on him and just perfectly out of focus on the other men. They look like they’re modeling for a wedding magazine!

2.27.08 - 7:05 pm

56. Jasmine* -

@NickLancer: Thanks for offer PS tips on my blog…that’s a neat way of achieving a similar (although not the same) result. This image was shot with my 24-70, @ f/2.8. The blurred background is completely natural and no photoshop action was used, though I did bump the contrast and curves. Also, all the images on this blog are jpeg. I shoot in both raw and jpeg, but prefer jpeg. If you can nail exposure, then it makes no sense shooting raw now that there’s Lightroom to batch process images. Hope this helps! @Bartek: I try to nail the exposure, but if I must, I SLIGHTLY underexpose and raise later. @MarieBoyer: I create my own templates in Photoshop or free design in Photoshop for my collages! 🙂

2.27.08 - 8:58 pm

57. Janelle Vano -

Beautiful work Jasmine!

2.27.08 - 10:16 pm

58. Nick Lancer -

Thought I was going crazy, pulled my Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon 24-70 2.8, pulled out my wife’s Carlos Santana shoes, hung over a door knob and it’s completely different. Too many things are off, your entire shoe is in focus, DOF on the door should be consistent but it doesn’t add up. Got off the phone with a close friend who’s an amazing graphic designer, showed him my shot vs. yours and he laughed. He said that you’re a really great photoshop editor but he realized what you did and broke it down. Other than the sharpening, it has been adjusted with blur tools. That’s awesome though… Not sure why most of you just don’t relay it with others.. I can see why because you don’t need 1,000 photographers having all the photos look like Jasmine Star’s but it’s all good mama… It’s okay. : ) Besos y abrasos…! PR/DR fo’ eva..! Nick Lazaro.

2.27.08 - 11:06 pm

59. Jasmine* -

@Nick: I was referring to the Groomsmen photo as using the 24-70. For the shoe shot, I used a 50mm, 1.4. Again, I used no blurring effects. Either way, I wish you the best as you do your thang in Photoshop…I, on the other hand, prefer to get it straight from the camera! 🙂

2.27.08 - 11:11 pm

60. Charming Events -

Love them all Jasmine, the details are just divine!

2.28.08 - 12:02 am

61. Roxie -

First and foremost, I believe you are true person who is out to help others as others have done the same for you. You pretty much pour you heart and soul on this blog about all the good, the bad and as you can see….THE UGLY! If someone feels you are sugar coating your photography on your OWN blog, it only makes sense that they envy your ability to achieve such perfection. Your work is beautiful and you deserve true positive feedback. Thank you for all you do – you are a true inspiration will fabulous talent.

2.28.08 - 12:23 am

62. Rachel Brooke -

These images are timeless, pure, and oh so creamy! I must applaud the bride…she has impeccable style.

2.28.08 - 5:17 am

63. scott -

Hi Jasmine, I have to agree with Roxie, You dont have to tell others what you do to get such awesome images and the fact that you share some information is great!
    I only hope post’s like that dont stop you being so helpful to all us others.
    scott.

2.28.08 - 10:59 am

64. Nick -

Scott & Roxie, you guys are funny. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jasmine’s work, it’s beautlful and FABulous. Not saying anything there and I’m not saying that Jasmine is a Photoshop Wizard but from what I see, things just don’t click.. but that’s not her, that’s on me. Becker, another AMAZING photographer who’s work I equally admire and to be honest, I OCD on these two on the daily but even Becker, who’s work LOOKS like it was shot in RAW says he shoots only in JPEG. I can get the same results but only in RAW, even if I sample & switch to JPEG, take them home and edit. Like JS, the final product in JPEG from RAW is attainable but for me, it doesn’t come together from shooting in JPEG. Actually, JS was the photographer who made me flip 100% to RAW…! With Becker, same thing, it doesn’t add up. Not saying anything other than, I LOVE their work, they give AMAZING advise that I’ve always taken to heart and I just think that they keep little tiny things to themselves. That’s cool, ya know what I mean… Listen, Jasmine doesn’t need me to ruffle her feathers… ; ) -I’d LOVE to see what she does when she edits. Someday, it’s gotta be an addition to Becker’s videos. Jasmine, entre los dos, mi amor, I really do love your work and I’m glad you share all the info… I’m just trying to figure out what everyone does because a little here and a little there really adds to my own work. John 3:16 – Hermanos en Dios. Love your work…! Abrasos…! -Nick

2.28.08 - 12:18 pm

65. Nick -

Glad you didn’t delete my comments. All I kept thinking was, "This girl is soooo going to delete what I wrote". Hahahaha…! ; )

2.28.08 - 12:22 pm

66. Nick -

BTW, yes.. I can see how you would get that shot with a Canon 50 f/1.4 (shoes on door knob). Shot in RAW, WB adjustment if any, Kubota Sharpening or any sharpening then it’s done. Ya know… call me crazy but I’d LOVE to hear the details regarding a shot but that would have to be a completely different blog all together. No lie, I would completely PAY to go to a workshop that you two throw, just to check your flow. Something to consider…! You’re definitely well known in the business so why not…! Look at how many LOVE your work… Heck yeah..! The door is a knockin’. ; ) Let me stop posting now because you’re gonna hate me but really, you guys should consider a two day workshop, dedicated to teaching others. It would be awesome…!

2.28.08 - 12:55 pm

67. scott -

Nick, the post you wrote came across to me and Roxie(i think due to her comments) alittle abrupt.The point i was making is that Jasmine doesnt have to tell us anything at all.
    There has been more than enough raw v’s jpeg debates on the internet so lets not start another here.Please note, i shoot raw ! but only so i can make exposure/colour changes without too much damage to image.
    scott.

2.28.08 - 1:03 pm

68. Andrea -

Seriously, J* WORKSHOP!

Question: Do you use spot metering most of the time?

2.28.08 - 1:07 pm

69. Nick -

Scott Scott Scott… Way off course my friend. Waaay off course. Who’s debating RAW vs. JPEG anyway!? Enough about Scott & his antics. Back on track… JasmineStarWorkshops.com – If ya need a push, you got it…! 🙂

2.28.08 - 1:34 pm

70. scott -

Nick,I mean no offence. As i said the post seemed abrupt, kinda like "Enough about scott and his antics"

But i have to agree JasmineStar Workshop would be a great thing.
    End of.

2.28.08 - 2:01 pm

71. inga -

They are a lovely couple! *sigh* 🙂

2.28.08 - 2:26 pm

72. Nick -

Enough about Scott’s antics. ; P JStar Workshops in the OC…! Sounds like fun…! How much would I pay? I’m in NY so other than the flight, two days of SUPER indepth instruction: $750 – $1,000 Ya gotta make right offs anyway, right..! ; ) Just an FYI Mister and Mrs. Star…!

2.28.08 - 3:24 pm

73. Nick -

How much would OTHERS pay?!

2.28.08 - 3:26 pm

74. Agnes -

Jas!!! Love the shoe shot. I tried it with my 50mm 1.4 Pretty close. Only diffy was that I don’t have a nifty little doorknob.
    Took a few attempts but I think I figured out your secret. 😛 Steady hands, right? hehehe

2.28.08 - 4:34 pm

75. Janelle -

@NICK – Hey why don’t you put a face on your comments so we can see your fabulous work?

2.28.08 - 5:09 pm

76. Alyssa -

Jasmine must be laughing her butt off. For someone who insists that her work is not what she claims it to be obviously has nothing better to do. We’re all in this business together and we need to be positive and embrace one another with positive feedback. For someone who won’t show their face (nice call Janelle) but wants to make comments on other peoples (and I do mean other peoples) blog should really consider their actions.

2.28.08 - 5:42 pm

77. Nick -

Janelle – You first. : )

2.28.08 - 5:43 pm

78. Nick -

All I can say is, "Wow" to everyone’s comments. Because you guys are completely missing it but it’s all good. Ciao…!

2.28.08 - 5:49 pm

79. Frank -

@Nick: You can’t just come in here and say the things you said and be "shocked" that everyone is against you. There’s a reason why everyone disagrees with what you have to say…so drop it. Like someone else said before, Jasmine doesn’t have to share EVERY little detail with you so you could just rip off her style. Go out and develop your own style instead of posting and cluttering J*’s site.

2.28.08 - 6:15 pm

80. Lawrence -

Howdy! Just a blog stalker haha 0:) Like always, absolutely lovely pictures!

2.28.08 - 7:38 pm

81. Jennifer -

wow…..gorgeous as always. stunning!

2.29.08 - 7:03 pm

82. amy wenzel -

Your photos are so sharp and so elegant!

2.29.08 - 8:28 pm

83. Shelley -

Jasmine, thank you so much for capturing our special day. You are truly a special and beautiful person, not to mention insanely talented. We are so thankful to have had you as our phtographer, and look forward to using you again in the future. This wedding could not have been possible without the fabulous Courtney of Joyful Weddings, or Kristin from The Treasured Petal. I worked with the BEST people, and love you all. Thank You.

3.4.08 - 10:30 pm

84. Rachael Wight -

You captured some great expressions. My 17 year old son LOVED the wedding cup cake! Great work!

3.5.08 - 12:41 pm

85. Sara -

Jasmine, I’m so glad I found your site. Your work is absolutely amazing! Some people are just jealous that they can’t do what you do. Pay no mind~you’re fabulous!

3.23.08 - 7:37 am

86. Natarsha N. Wright -

I love the intimacy of these photos! Great work 🙂

4.1.08 - 12:55 pm

87. Charlotte Leonard -

Hi Jasmine…Amazing blog, your work is soo fab. You are an awesome inspiration to all of us girl photographers out there… Charlotte 🙂

5.7.08 - 8:08 pm

88. Heather -

What beautiful photos!! By chance, do know where the bride got her jewelry?? I love it!

5.24.08 - 2:34 am

89. Kim Robbins -

Love these! All the emotions and details of the day were captured perfectly. great job!

8.25.08 - 2:06 pm

90. Stephen Knuth -

I love the shots jasmine! The images on the bridge are so well done.

9.14.08 - 5:57 am

91. kay english -

My favorite thing ever is christmas light in photos! And they have them on the bridge!!!!! Soooooooo perfect 🙂

7.31.09 - 3:56 pm

92. Kathy -

I have spent so much time on your blog I’m all the way to this post. Great work and I love the photo of the bride walking down the isle with her father.

10.5.12 - 2:34 am