Shooting Star : Art of an Interview

Photography

While we were on vacation last week, we were invited to join guests at a cocktail party, hosted by the resort. JD happily responded, yes, he’d lovvvve to go. He used that many V’s when he said it. Sometimes he’s way too nice. Using too many consonants to emphasize a point seems a little much, right? Anyway, as we made our way to the party, I begged him to turn around, go back to our room and catch up on reruns of Antique Roadshow, because–really–I’m so awkward at things like that. He patted my back and said I’d be finnnnne.

You see?! THERE HE GOES AGAIN!

Sometimes I’m envious of JD’s innate ability to simply walk into a room and be. He’s equally at ease talking to the busboy or the CEO, and kindly listens to people with his magnetic smile. And me? Well, you’ll find me by the buffet station.

At the end of the party, we left with a few new friends and memories. I was happy I attended, but it also made me appreciate how far I’ve come to meeting new people and creating powerful conversations. If you’re anything like me, meeting prospective clients is sometimes hard…especially because there isn’t a buffet line to hind behind! It’s gotten easier over the years, but I decided to share a few tips that helped along the way.

This installment of Shooting Star is entitled The Art of an Interview {for socially awkward photographers….like myself}. The four tips I cover are:
*Lead with Questions.
*Craft Your Art for Their Needs.
*Do My Skills Match What They Want?
*Do The Work Beforehand.

Like always, these videos are meant to help one person…and usually based on feedback I receive on Facebook, so if you have any questions or ideas for future installments, feel free to leave them in the comment box or holla back on FB!

comments

1. naomi chokr

December 14th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

you know…. i always beg my husband if we could just stay home instead of go to a party. Im awkward with small talk especially when its meeting new people. I get nervous and never really know what to say. But crap still comes out of my mouth for sure. I would never know this about you…. people say to me that it never shows that im awkward or nervous… but good to know im not alone.

2. MegganB

December 14th, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Literally have a client meeting in 2 hours… your the BEST!! <3

3. Rachel Tatem

December 14th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for the tips! I love the idea of knowing the other venders before hand!

4. Paula Franco FOTOGRAFÍA

December 14th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Thanks a lot for these new tips, always very useful!! It was a very quickly speech for me, but I understood mainly everything, and I have your magazine for a complete review!! Thanks again for sharing! Regards!!

5. elisabetta {Linen and Silk}

December 14th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

This is so useful, as usual! What terrifies me is not meeting clients in general, but meeting the type of inquisitive clients who ask questions as if they are just waiting for you to say the wrong thing… Your tips, however, particularly the one about asking the right questions prior to the face to face meeting, would make a massive difference on the day and I’m sure I’d would feel a lot more confident and prepared. Thank you Jasmine. Have a great day! xxBetta

6. Letty

December 14th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

^^^Raising my hand so you know it’s me you’re talking to…I’m not a wedding photographer, or even horse photographer, but I enjoy your blog because of your writing. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that your tips this morning really touched me. I’m a mom, going back to school and interviewing for a master’s program today. After preparing my resume, transcripts…, I wandered over to your blog and was pleasantly surprised by your interviewing tips. Kinda funny that much like you’re a wedding photographer, the area I want to study of social work is very specific to working with the aging population, I wondered if I should just go in and say “oh yeah, kids? I wanna do that too”. I’m now ready to showcase who I am and confident that if they did take the time to meet with me I’m on the right track. Gracias!

7. Laura Fiore

December 14th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’m the JD in my marriage, and yet I still like to spend time at the buffet line!

Great article! Thanks for the info…I learn something from you EVERY time!

8. Lauren Jolly

December 14th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

great tips, Jasmine! can’t wait to try them out!

9. LEOLAK

December 14th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

You are so FABULOUS!!! Yes….in caps!! =) Thanks for sharing as always. Love the necklace!!! Happy Wednesday!

10. Tim king

December 14th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Great video. Can’t tell you how many times I tried to shoot things I had no clue about when I first started out. The tip about skills matching up with client needs is key.

11. Adrienne

December 14th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Great video, Jasmine! Curious how you go about saying "No" to a client whom you think might not be a good fit for you and vice versa.

12. Kaysha - Irvine Wedding Photographer

December 14th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Awesome tips as usual!! Thanks!

13. Lydia Chen

December 14th, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Thank you Jasmine for these great tips!! I feel like I don’t know how to seal the deal…I hope I can put these tips to great use soon! xoxo!

14. Laurajane

December 14th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

i’m so glad to know that it’s possible to be socially awkward and a successful photographer. and i seriously can’t wait till the day when i have a man in my life like JD who makes me go to parties and such.

15. Jessica

December 14th, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Have been talking(blogged) about how awkward I am meeting new people just today too! These tips are going to be so helpful as I move forward with my business. Thanks so much for these videos, they are fantastic!

16. Autumn Teesdale

December 14th, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Fabulous as always Jasmine!

17. Nicole

December 14th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

You are so not socially awkward. Do you have any tips on shooting in dark churches?

18. Janeane Melton

December 14th, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Jansmine! I’m doing my first Bridal show in January and this really helped me feel more prepared!! 🙂

19. Nicole Montmarquet

December 14th, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Holla holla back, y’all! Sorry, I couldn’t resist! 😉 Great tips!

20. Paola

December 15th, 2011 at 12:00 am

Very helpful, thank you!

21. Jessica St. Johns Photography

December 15th, 2011 at 12:05 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!! As a socially awkward photographer myself (I’m still working on getting the whole not-hyperventilating-before-meeting-new-people thing down.), I really needed these tips, and I think they’ll be able to help me out a lot. 🙂

22. Claudia

December 15th, 2011 at 12:08 am

Lovvvvvvvvvvve your shooting star videos. And Yes!!! I also like to use that many V’s — 🙂
    It’s really hard to believe that someone like you is an "socially awkward photographer" … believe me!!! If you ever meet a REAL socially awkward photographer like myself you will not think that way about yourself… I see your videos and attended to the show it NY workshop and you were funny and very sociable !!!
    Once again, lovvvve your videos!
    Claudia

23. Mireya :)

December 15th, 2011 at 1:41 am

Thank you so much for the tips. Because yes I am socially awkward and maybe one day I will be a photographer. First I have to increase my skills though 😛

24. Stephanie Rose

December 15th, 2011 at 4:21 am

Thank you for everything you do! You’re rockin’ awesome!

25. Life with Kaishon

December 15th, 2011 at 5:55 am

26. Malte

December 15th, 2011 at 10:31 am

I have just watched a talk between Chase Jarvis (http://blog.chasejarvis.com/live/) and Ramit Sethi: http://bit.ly/rIDIOa
    (If you don’t know either, you should! I know Jasmin* does.) The talk covers pritty much the same as this Shooting* but a bit more in depth and proves that Jasmine* knows what she is talking about!

27. Jesselynn Quinn

December 15th, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Jasmine, you LIIIIIIEEEE! You can’t possibly be socially awkward! You’re like the most socially UNawkward person I’ve come across. Okay, I haven’t met you in real life yet, but if you’re anything like how you sound on your blog, then psssh, you’re about as awkward as Princess Diana. (That means you’re not awkward at all, by the way.)

28. sylvia

December 15th, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Thank you, Jasmine, for sharing this. I always learn so much from your tips.

December 16th, 2011 at 7:51 am

Amazing advice, Jasmine! Thank you for sharing!

30. Nina Carmina

December 16th, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this Jasmine. This exactly answers the questions in my mind when I think of what if I’m going to have my service with fee yet I’m not that confident. We’ll maybe not now, hopefully soon. Tehee! And like you, I’m also socially awkward..ohoh

31. Neda Lahrodi-Blake

December 16th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Very helpful tips and def will need to tailor my approach to each client. Fab tips Jasmine xx

32. mary

December 18th, 2011 at 2:44 am

super helpful! I remember when I was a bride and the annoying questions that would drag on from potential photogs about "how did you get engaged?" "tell me the whole story". I’m so glad you wrapped that up and got it going. Great work!

33. Julie Fragoso

December 19th, 2011 at 2:59 am

Great Pointers!!! I love how you are so convincing of being ourselves and not letting others define us. Thank you Jasmine for being you 🙂

34. Feuza

December 19th, 2011 at 6:11 am

I shoot unicorns, just kidding,

great feedback and had a meeting today and you are right on the money and practice makes perfect.

35. Becky

December 19th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Thank you Jasmine! This past year I’ve worked with clients who were a perfect fit and some who were a horrible fit. Going in to this next year, I’ve made a goal of only taking on clients that are the right fit. Once, you’ve had some you just can’t go back. 😉 This Shooting Star installment was so hopeful as to how to conduct and interview in a way that discovers whether or not this is really the client for me. Thank you soooo much! :))

36. Naida Alvarado

December 19th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Hi Jasmine,

I just found out about you through a friend. I was feeling a little discourage about my photography and after hearing your story regarding you experience as a second shoot photographer for a wedding I was blown away. I had been trying to find a job for the longest applying application after application and nothing. Had some interview but no bite. Anyway, I sat down one day and I prayed and I asked God, what I can do to bring finances into my home, but it has to be something I enjoy, and I am passionate about it and I heard a still small voice say, photography. I had been doing it for years and never though about it as a potential business. I recently launched my photography business and I never thought it would take off the way it has. Starting small but the possibilities are endless and sky is the limit right. Looking forward to hearing more about you and your amazing gift of photography. 🙂