Shooting Star : Copy Cats + Profit Centers

Photography

Yesterday I parked myself on the couch and read. It was Sunday, which meant guilt-free indulgence in…well…everything. While JD watched a documentary about impeding doom from South African bees or mating orcas, I slipped my toes against the crevice of his back and fell into reading. On a commercial break, I grabbed the remote and flipped through channels. I randomly came across a promo for My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. Then I died and went to Heaven. I mean, mixing gypsies and weddings?! Midriffs, neon lights sewn in gowns, and four-foot tiaras?! SIGN ME UP.

JD groaned from the couch and forever banned me from the remote control. I’ll leave him with the mammals and primates…and keep my reality shows. And really thick books. Because, occasionally, I like to pretend I’m smart. In light of feigned intellect, it’s time for another installment of Shooting Star.

In this video, I’ll be discussing…
*Copy cats.
*Viewing business costs as profit centers.
*And please don’t ask my my shirt is THAT wrinkled…looks like I was rolling around in a cardboard box all day.

Like always, you can submit questions for future FAQs on Facebook!

comments

1. Katelyn James

May 23rd, 2011 at 3:41 pm

ohhhh the copy cats!! you nailed it. Thanks for the reminder! and the wrinkles add character….somehow….I’m just being positive:) Ps. super jealous of your laid back Sundays!!!!!!!

2. LEOLAK

May 23rd, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Thanks! This is awesome…and I love the positive spin on being copied. Actually..this who thing rocked! Cracking up that you will be watching the gypsy wedding reality show…I’ve seen the previews and I’m just not sure but I know I’ll probably get sucked in too. I’m such a reality junkie. lol Happy Monday!

3. Maria

May 23rd, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Thanks so much for this. Love your positivity and loved the advice about copy cats. I hope to start using that new mindset 🙂

4. Rachel Tatem

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:00 pm

What a positive outlook on copy cats. Yes, they are giving you tribute in a way and yet it can be so easy to get bogged down. I would imagine like everyone you have your down days but I feel like you take things in such a positive light.

5. carlotta

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:08 pm

your advice on copying was perfect. I’ve been dealing with this lately — but really, imitation is the best form of flattery. thank you!

6. ala

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:08 pm

you’s cute!

7. TMSphotos

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:11 pm

copying is the sincerest form of flattery

8. Kathleen Clipper

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Thank you for shedding positive light on the whole copy cat situations. It seems that many photographers deal with this and to read about their disgust and anger on social media on a daily basis gets kind of gloomy. Thanks for the inspiration yet again! Love your "fresh" outlook 🙂

9. jade alayne

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Thank you great post! And your make-up looks great.( didn’t notice the wrinkles at all!)

10. Carlise

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:22 pm

AND she nails it, touchdown!! Thank you for putting what was in my mind into well thought out words and a video!! Bookmarking this!! <3

11. Jillian Tree

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Icebergs! haha 🙂

12. Wendy

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:35 pm

You are oozing of ‘positive’ and it looks great. I am trying to copycat that positive attitude of yours. I think more people should be as happy and confident as they want to feel. I need to go happify my blog now 🙂

13. Kat

May 23rd, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love your take on copy cats. Not only a form of flattery, but using it to get better! Thanks J:)

14. Georgina Webb

May 23rd, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Jasmine – I love how you manage to put such a positive spin onto something that bugs so many people. You really are an inspiration!
    P.S. You will love My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding – it is fantastic viewing and highly addictive!

15. Allison

May 23rd, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Great advice on taking the opportunity of being copied and turning into a challenge.

16. AlexFrame

May 23rd, 2011 at 5:35 pm

17. Tacey

May 23rd, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Dang it girl! You always nail it….and always seem to give me the push in the derriere that I often need (not for the copying issue…although you are so right about that) but for the cost/profit issue…I’ve been dreaming about a natural light studio for a while, knowing what I could/would/will? do with it….thank you for touching on this strategy….hmmmmm…now you’ve got me thinking….and I like it! Love you!

18. Life with Kaishon

May 23rd, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Loved it.
    Valuable advice : )
    One day I saw someone complaining because a person had shot some pink crab apples the same way they shot them. SO hilarious. How many ways are their to shoot pink crab apple blossoms? And who cares if someone shoots them just like you?

19. Nick Rose

May 23rd, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Great post. I loved my Showit site and wasn’t worried about thr $39. As a wedding photographer your website it your shop window.
    Unfortunately I had to drop it because of SEO limitations but I loved to look of it.
    Nick Rose | Kent Wedding Photographer

20. Tori Gillit

May 23rd, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I am forever floored by how positive you are and always encouraged by reading your posts. Thanks for telling us to be flattered and just get better!!

21. Jet Kaiser

May 23rd, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Very informative. I love your approach to this subject, Jasmine.

22. kat - rocknrollbride

May 23rd, 2011 at 6:22 pm

re: copycats. this is JUST WHAT I NEEEEEDED to hear. thank you

23. adrian

May 23rd, 2011 at 8:16 pm

that was a good one. very positive and peaceful. but, what if the person just keeps copying you ?

24. nena

May 23rd, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I liked your attitude, and if youuuu can say this, then I know every one should act this way! =-)

25. Erin K.

May 23rd, 2011 at 9:16 pm

You always give such great advice! I love how you change a seemingly negative situation into something flattering and positive. Thanks!

26. Melinda Leal

May 23rd, 2011 at 10:07 pm

HAHA, girl, so funny you said that because I glanced at your shirt and went right back to eye contact. Than read your "don’t ask about wrinkled shirt!" LOL..so funny. Good info!

27. Columbus GA Wedding Photography

May 23rd, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Thanks guys. Really helpful info.

28. Claudia

May 23rd, 2011 at 11:12 pm

love your videos!!!… the only thing I hate is that they are too short! 🙂 … Really!, I can watch you talk all day…

29. Kelly Green

May 24th, 2011 at 12:29 am

I loved MY Big Fat Gypsy Wedding!! Watch out for the special – My Big Fat Royal Gypsy Wedding – it’s even better!!

30. Jil Roberts Manuel

May 24th, 2011 at 12:47 am

You are so right, my late father said if your not being copied then you must not being doing it right. It is a complement for someone to copy your work.

31. sydney wedding photographer

May 24th, 2011 at 2:37 am

Lol, I wouldn’t have noticed the wrinkles in the shirt, but now that you point it out!! .. well I guess if rolling around in carboard boxes is your thing…

32. denise karis

May 24th, 2011 at 2:52 am

love this…. I have ONE person who has copied me consistently and it was discouraging because I REALLY WORK to try and be as original as possible. Sure I draw inspiration from other photographers but I always try to make it my own…. but a friend said to me "Photographers copy better photographers all the time. So you can either keep being awesome and deal with the copying or start sucking." 🙂

33. Jennifer

May 24th, 2011 at 4:01 am

Great advice! You are keeping it real! That is so true, if people are copying you, then you are doing something right and then up your game!

34. Linda Dalton

May 24th, 2011 at 4:42 am

As always a fabulous post by you Jasmine! Thank you for sharing.

35. Mom

May 24th, 2011 at 4:57 am

You are brilliant and selfless with all the information you share each week.

36. Carolyn Egerszegi

May 24th, 2011 at 5:46 am

Great post Jasmine! When you were talking about copy cats and said "get better" it reminded me of something my mom taught me. When I played soccer as a kid, we would travel to neighbouring towns where the local refs would often call the game in favour of the home team. As kids we would cry and complain that the ref wasn’t fair, but my mom would always say, "Score More Goals. Just Score More Goals." In other words, at the end of the day if we scored more goals it wouldn’t matter how unfair the ref was because we would still win the game. So… if somebody is being a copy cat, you can either cry and complain about it, or just score more goals, or as you said, Jasmine… "get better" and you’ll still win in the end. Thanks for reinforcing this idea Jasmine. You’re awesome!

37. Simon Woodcock

May 24th, 2011 at 6:16 am

Great video – I totally agree, if you’re worth copying, you’re doing something impressive and people want to emulate that.

I can’t wait to be copied. I draw the line at stalking though!

38. Natalia

May 24th, 2011 at 7:13 am

"There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done…." -John Lennon
    Great answers on the copy cat thing! Everyone gets inspiration, even the old photogs had to copy SOMEONE once or twice in their lives!

39. Bee

May 24th, 2011 at 7:56 am

You have to watch! Big fat gypsy wedding took our UK ratings by storm. The dresses so giant they dont fit down the aisle and weigh more than a human. Not only a show about weddings but cultural differences and customs. A really interesting show. Everyone this side of the pond knows of the gypsy weddings, very popular topic. Oh god and wait until you see the little kids! Their skimpy outfits and bootay shakin. Shocking. Enjoy! Let us know what you think of it!

40. Elizabeth

May 24th, 2011 at 9:30 am

I am so looking forward to my big fat gypsy wedding…..and thanks for the shooting star segment…they are always so informative.

41. kelly marie

May 24th, 2011 at 9:44 am

such great advice jasmine!

42. Bethany

May 24th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Hi Jasmine! 🙂 you’re shooting star post is very helpful 🙂 Thanks!

I hope you do get to be a part of the Gypsy Wedding shoot 🙂

43. Lisa O'Dwyer

May 24th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

These gypsies are called Travellers in Ireland where I live. I’m American too, and was so amazed when I saw some at a communion in a church where I was taking photos for someone. I really wanted to take their picture because of their dress. The woman was wearing a neon orange skin-tight dress that was more like a bathing suit. It was cut out at places and wrapped around her body. And she had a tiara, and 4 inch silver heels. I tried not to look, and I caught everyone trying to get a sneaky peek as I was. It was a typical Irish May day, rainy and cold, and I can’t believe she didn’t freeze. Next time, I’ll definitely ask for a picture!

44. Erica Velasco

May 24th, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Going through the same thing with copiers…only their using my text and product names…

45. Christiana

May 25th, 2011 at 7:51 am

Jasmine, you are the best- so positive all the time! And your mum, so cute how she always comments on your blog xx

46. {natalie bray photography}

May 25th, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I adore these posts! They are insightful and fun! Thanks for the info, as always! Also, thanks for inspiring me to keep growing personally and professionally! 🙂

47. Neda Lahrodi-Blake

May 25th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I bought the DVD for my mum as practical joke – but it is seriously addictive : )

48. Whitney (Utah Photographer)

May 25th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Absolutely fantastic. It is hard sometime when I feel like my ideas get "stolen." But I love that advice, and it’s so true.

Just get better.

As long as I’m still working, learning, and improving, it doesn’t matter. They won’t be able to copy that unless they are working just as hard. And if they are working that hard, props to them!

49. Bobbie Brown

May 26th, 2011 at 3:36 am

Okay, next video, try sitting on your hands and see what happens…JUST KIDDING! I promise, I am kidding, I love the fact your hands never stop moving – but I had to tease ya about it! Thank YOU for another wonderful video and great advice. I love each video you post 🙂

50. the detailed life

May 26th, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I really appreciate all of the honest advice you give. Thanks alot!

51. Jonni

May 28th, 2011 at 12:21 am

Great job Jasmine. Thank you so much for all you give to everyone. You have hit upon some really great topics to think about.

Thanks! 🙂

52. Tabatha

June 1st, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I don’t know you but you make me feel so much better about my little business. Any other photog with your amount of talent is so negative towards "newbies". Thank you for being you and for being inspiring.

53. Jessica Sweeney

June 5th, 2011 at 12:22 am

Yeah! Way to pump out the positive vibes. Thanks Jasmine!

54. Jodie Lemke

June 9th, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I liked this post. I have personally made the mistake of copying a photographer once from my local area. not because i wanted to COPY but because i was inspired. I loved their work, I loved the location ideas from our small community. I kow that you have also said we can never be anyone but our selves so I know my photos will never look exactly the same, i put my twist on things! But i have come to learn that i need to be inspired by others who are not from my area. Thanks for your view on this. I feel the same way but i know others don’t.. I try to be really careful!

55. Sonya Payne

June 9th, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Good advice, and just so you know, I’m going to copy those earrings! :o)