Shooting Star : How to Get Likes on Facebook

Sometimes my patience wears so thin it’s translucent. It’s almost as if I expect people who are close to me to read my mind and when they don’t, I want to chew on coconut rinds. I heard coconut was good for your teeth, but I think it’d be better used as a way to express how frustrated one might be. Gnawing on brown, hairy fruit might give juuuust the right impression of all my toughness. Or my healthy gums.

Note to self: Don’t write blog posts after someone hasn’t read your mind.

In other news, I received a question from a reader (Hi, Ashley!) who asked how to get more Likes and interaction on Facebook. I’ll be the first to say I’m not an expert on the matter, but I’d be honored to give my opinion. Facebook has been a game-changer for my wedding photography and I’d be happy to share how I approach it. This video will focus on…
*Why I don’t sync Twitter and Facebook updates.
*The importance of sharing more personal updates than business updates.
*Why the more you talk about your business from your page, the less people will listen.
*How I get clients to Like my business page…without even asking!

I hope this video helps a few people, but if I missed the mark, feel free to chew on coconut rinds and I’ll know I need to try again.

Happy Wednesday!

1. Life with Kaishon

June 13th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Your Saturday sounds like a pretty much PERFECT day to me : )

2. Ashley Danaila

June 13th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thank you so much for answering my question Jasmine!

You rock!

3. Darla Sutton

June 13th, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thank you Jasmine- This was so helpful! I like the tip to tag from the business page. Best wishes-Darla

4. Cassie Piasecki

June 13th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi Jasmine,
    I totally agree with everything you talked about here! I am not a photog or even in the wedding business but as a social media fanatic, I just had to say you are spot on! ESPESH, when you said not linking Facebook and Twitter posts. Super important!

5. Stephanie Callaghan Smith

June 13th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Really great post – will definitely think more about how I use my personal and business pages and how they should be different

6. Eva

June 13th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Thank you so much Jasmine for not syncing yout twitter and facebook so I can follow you on both and get different updates throughout the day 🙂

7. Jamie

June 13th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Jasmine I loved this! thanks for sharing your thoughts on fb verses twitter. especially found that part helpful!

8. Katelyn James

June 13th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

loving the TEAL! 🙂

9. Briana

June 13th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

How timely! I just created a business page for myself this week and have been wondering how I should treat it. Thanks for all the tips! 🙂

10. Jackie Lamas

June 13th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

great advice on tagging clients only from the business page. also keeping twitter and fb separate. thank you!!!

11. Wedding Photographer Essex

June 13th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Hi Jasmine I’m just getting in to Facebook and wasn’t really sure at what level to pitch at and what mix of business / social so this has been helpful. Looking at your Facebook page and seeing what you do in practice as well also helps, many thanks

12. pam

June 13th, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Great post! I’m having a hard time posting personal updates on my business page because all of that goes on my personal, but I know I need to!

13. Kari Jeanne

June 14th, 2012 at 1:08 am

Great timing with this post! I just love you. In an appropriate non-stalker way. Promise.

14. Kate Robinson

June 14th, 2012 at 1:18 am

Awesome video Jasmine! Great advice!! xx

15. Theresa

June 14th, 2012 at 3:50 am

As always love your information and sharing what works for you! Said it before saying it again you are a rockstar!

16. Amelia Rhea

June 14th, 2012 at 6:09 am

That’s really helpful. I have this preconceived notion that my facebook page has to be all business-like and therefore put on this persona. I gotta loosen up a little bit!

17. Dawn Kelly

June 14th, 2012 at 8:35 am

This was SO HELPFUL!! Thank you!! You’re fabulous. And I love that you wear socks with your sandals. 🙂

18. Michelle Lange

June 14th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I am totally taking this advice and running with it. And just so you know… I wish I could raid your closet 🙂

19. Martin

June 14th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Really interesting post. I would like you to elaborate on the attract/repell aspect further in a future shooting star video. Great goin!

20. Alex Sablan

June 14th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Your tips will be very helpful. I have been researching Facebook likes for my own pages. I look forward to trying some of these ideas. I particularly like the concept of interacting with clients. I am just starting my photography business, and between your CreativeLive appearance and your blog, you have been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

21. Dajuan

June 14th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

J*, how do you tag clients from your business page if you haven’t friended (is that a word?) from your personal profile? Please share, a little more 🙂

22. Anna

June 14th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE 🙂 Thanks for the information J*

23. heather

June 14th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for your insight on this! So much to keep up with these days and it is nice to hear how others handle it 🙂

24. Alaina Bos

June 14th, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thanks so much for this Shooting Star post! I’m at the point in my business where I need to create more attention towards my business but want to do so with dignity. I’m definitely going to try some of these tips.

25. Charlotte Bryer-Ash

June 14th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Pints of Ben and Jerrys sounds good 🙂 Thanks for sharing, the tips have been really helpful as always.

26. Paul Von Rieter

June 14th, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, how are you effectively tagging clients from your business page? Mine never seems to let me.

27. Shanna

June 14th, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Jasmine! I loved this Post, thanks for the great advice as usual.
    I have a question I hope you may consider for a future shooting star- How do you be friendly with clients while still maintaining, that you are running a business? I can’t be the only one- I get clients who expect freebies – they mistake my friendliness for friendship and expect in your words " the homie hookup". This is seriously cutting into my bottom line and spreading me thin- how do I say no while maintaining good customer service?

28. Jaime Davis

June 14th, 2012 at 9:52 pm

i have the same problem as one of your readers i can not tag clients on my business page… help?!?! Thanks!

29. Jimmy Rooney

June 15th, 2012 at 7:31 am

Great video Jasmine! This helped answer the question I had on your wall as well! The part where you talked about sharing industry things, and artistic updates, and not all about you was great (no one needs the daily rooney)

30. Jasmine*

June 15th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

@Paul: In order to tag clients from a business page, you must friend them through your personal page. Hope this makes sense! 🙂

31. Pamela Aurino

June 16th, 2012 at 4:01 am

Fabulous Jasmine! 🙂
    Didn’t realize it was so frequent 🙂
    I status update 4/5 times a week.
    Great !!! 😀 love it!

32. Sarah

June 18th, 2012 at 1:30 am

This is just what I needed – thank you so much, Jasmine!

33. Adelaide Wedding Photographer

June 19th, 2012 at 2:54 am

Some good tips there, thanks for that!

34. Jakki

June 19th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

LOVE the sound bite of BBD- Poison!!

35. Karyn

June 25th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thanks for this great info. I’ve been watching TONS of creativeLIVE, the Joy of Marketing and other vids (and WPPI) on marketing — how to keep clients — getting published and what not ….Can you give any info (maybe a vid answer) about how to fully get started like getting your name out there and get the business going? I’ve going at this for a bit and getting shoots here and there, done a few weddings, but I think I still just need to get my name out there more and I was wondering if there are any key helpful hints.
    Thanks for your time. =)