Shooting Star : How to Photograph Wedding Rings

Photography

I make no joke about my love for all things Facebook. It’s creepy actually. Mark Zuckerberg should be scared of me because if I saw his Audi, I might leave a thank you note tucked in the windshield. Why, yes, I know he drives an Audi. Like I said, creeeeepy.

In all seriousness, the reason I like Facebook is because it allows me to connect with photographers and makes the photo industry–which sometimes feels polarizing and isolating–a bit smaller. A place where we say y’all and smile at strangers. When people write on my wall, I try to personally respond or others step in and help along the way. Because at the end of the day, we all want to follow our dreams and helping each other is the best way to get there.

Last week, I was asked How To Photograph Wedding Rings:

I thought it made for a series of great questions, so I decided to answer them and shoot a demonstration for this installment of Shooting Star. In this video, I’ll answer:
*How I get inspiration for wedding ring photos
*What background works best when photographing wedding rings
*Whether I plan the wedding ring photos in advance
*How long I spend photographing wedding rings
*How I set up wedding rings
*Demonstration: How I photograph wedding rings

I hope this helps just one person…and then this person pays it forward…and, together, we create a ripple effect to make the industry stronger. Together.

comments

1. Scott

July 26th, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Jasmine, you are the best !!

2. Janelle C.

July 26th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This was very helpful Jasmine!!! I appreciate the time you took to demonstrate how you would shoot rings! Thank you!!!

3. Sarah Clawson

July 26th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I just think you are the coolest. This video is great, you look gorgeous and it was very helpful! Thanks for putting it together and all that you share with us! πŸ™‚

4. Robert Hunter

July 26th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Thank you Jasmine! That was very insightful video.

5. Toni

July 26th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I seriously LOVE every installment of Shooting Star. I love that you’re so willing to help out other photographers with tips and info that you worked hard to learn. Thanks for being so generous with your knowledge!
    P.S. Is it weird that you are MY Mark Zuckerberg? πŸ˜‰

6. Dallas Curow

July 26th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Wow, this might be the best Shooting Star video of ALL TIME! Jasmine (and JD, as I’m guessing he’s the one who filmed it ;)) you did an amazing job with this. This information, and particularly the live demo, were so helpful. It’s incredible how giving you are to your community and I am extraordinarily grateful. Thanks a million for this inspiring and game-changing video.

7. Dana Laymon

July 26th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

that was such a great video! They just keep getting better and better! And I love the new studio, totally my style. thanks for the tutorial πŸ™‚

8. Alan Phillip

July 26th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thank you Jasmine for posting this, and thank you Mark for the wonderful questions@

9. Mark Potter

July 26th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Jasmine!!! This is incredible – thank you, thank you, thank you. This helps tremendously and I feel so honored you answered my questions in such depth. Your explanations and demonstration, combined with showing the actual results – freakin awesome! I learned so much from that and know it’s going to make a massive difference. Thanks for being such an inspiration to so many and for making the industry feel so much warmer and real – you’re amazing!

10. Katelyn James

July 26th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

You’re great. I know this took some time and so thanks for being committed to go above and beyond to help:) you da best:)

11. Haley Johnston

July 26th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! This was perfect!! I am so glad you did the mini shoot with the rings, so helpful!

12. Priscilla Longshore

July 26th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

so awesome ty for this!

13. Scott Herdling

July 26th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for the great video! I learned alot =)

14. Angela

July 26th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Killer tops and necklace!! Thanks for the tips! I always find that I need to shoot at f5 or so to get all of the ring in focus when I am so close with my macro.

15. Lupe Ruiz

July 26th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I love that you did a demo!! Keep those coming! πŸ˜‰

16. Jessi

July 26th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I just started my business in March and I did my first BIG wedding in June but I did two small weddings before that. I really wanted to show off the rings but like Jasmine said, it depends on the environment and what is going on. None of this photos I did were planned. It was all spur of the moment. The one of the flower was a Civil wedding so i picked a flower from ground and placed it with the rings: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/389360_10150950895239917_2054883937_n.jpg — this next one i did was from my big wedding and they rented a camero for the big day so of course I was so excited to use this in the photos and HAD to use them for the rings. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/391429_10151010112814917_1760911208_n.jpg — (One thing I may have changed from this photo was moving the rings more to the left but since it was my first wedding I can correct myself from one thing and make sure i do it next time. Over time I’m sure Ill be to the point where I know I won’t make anymore mistakes. AND Just go with your gut and know your bride prior to the big day so your not asking too many questions because that can get overwhelming. My poor bride from the big wedding was stressing cause EVERYONE was asking her what to do and I ended up being the photographer/assistant lol. It all worked out and we had fun!

And Thanks Jasmine for posting!

17. Raghu

July 26th, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Great ! Thank you πŸ™‚

18. Kitrin Jeffrey

July 26th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Go on with your bad self J*! Great episode of Shooting Star – very helpful, and loved the demo you provided. Your new studio is sick btw! Thanks so much for all that you do!

19. Lauren | Lauren Nicole Photo

July 26th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Talk about creepy internet stalking – my first thought was, "Oh, that’s what Jasmine was wearing when JD took her to PinkBerry the other day…"

Thanks for the video – I have the non-L version of that lens and sometimes I struggle with 2.8 not being detailed enough when I am trying to focus on something that does NOT focus well (such as a shiny diamond). Do you ever find yourself shooting at a larger f-stop to get MORE diamonds in focus? I’ve been wanting to play around with my own rings in lots of lighting and setup situations at various f-stops to get a lot better with putting my focus JUST where I want it – thanks for the inspiration to stop saying "I’m PLANNING to" and to just got and DO IT.

20. Leah Simpson

July 26th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Awesome!!! Now I seriously want to go out and try this!! Thanks!!

21. Gosia

July 26th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info… and btw, love your outfit!

22. Robin

July 26th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Great ideas, as an other option, I do the classic ring shot in the crease of a Bible at 1 Cor 13:8 with the grooms ring casting a heart shadow and have the word Love inside the brides ring, "Love never fails", just use a torch to cast the heart shadow.

23. jackie almeida

July 26th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

great post! thanks for the info πŸ™‚ I never really have a hard time getting inspirations for my pictures..i’m just having a hard time with the auto focus with my canon mark ii and my canon 100mm 2.8 macro..i never can trust the auto focus it takes way too long but i noticed you did back focusing so i’m going to try that! thanks

24. Deborah Zoe

July 26th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

That was awesome Jasmine!!Thank you for sharing!

25. Ginny

July 26th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Sweet! Thanks for posting. You look fabulous!! Love the new studio space. xoxo

26. erica clark

July 26th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Fabulous!

27. elisabetta {Linen and Silk}

July 26th, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Jasmine, I looove this Shooting Star video with the demo! I’m not a tog, but this is perfect advice for us bloggers too who sometimes need to style objects for a blog post. Thank you! x

28. brittany

July 26th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Loved this!!! Thank you for posting. J have guidelines now lol!!!

29. ashley barnett

July 26th, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Love it!! Thanks for always being so helpful and open, you da best! I always joke that shooting the rings is when I get my breathing exercises in for the day!

30. Missy Wuertz

July 26th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

You are positively awesome. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

31. Jennie

July 26th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Thanks for the tips!

32. Elizabeth Langford

July 26th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thanks Jasmine! I have struggled with ring shots and this video was so helpful!!

33. tamsen

July 26th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

so awesome! i always get stuck with the rings- what to do with them?! awesome segment!

34. Linda B.

July 26th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for the tips. I do ring shots for weddings as well, but I usually only do one particular shot. I actually never thought to do several variations and to also incorporate the couple’s vision into the shot. I will be using this info for the next wedding that I shoot!

35. joanna

July 26th, 2012 at 6:03 pm

After you position the ring, i see (or hear the shutter release) you are taking multiple photos of the same shot, but you aren’t moving. Are you adjusting your camera settings, like aperature and/or shutterspeed?

36. jaine {brklynview}

July 26th, 2012 at 6:11 pm

this was fantastic! thank you jasmine for always teaching and inspiring others. love it!

37. Ashley Goodwin

July 26th, 2012 at 6:26 pm

OH MAN do you not LOVE your office???!?!? I SURE DO! It’s SO YOU! love love love love love loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee

38. Nicole

July 26th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I love how generous you are with your talent, so willing to share what you have learned! It speaks volumes about your nature and who you are!

39. Becky Male

July 26th, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thank you for this post – very helpful and the 3 different options I’ll definitely remember for future weddings.

40. Ashley R

July 26th, 2012 at 6:32 pm

This is very helpful! Thank you Jasmine! You inspire me. πŸ™‚

41. Michele with one L

July 26th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

That was sooo helpful. Great questions, Mark. And, Jasmine, I love watching you work. Thank you!

42. Leslie

July 26th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

love this! I also found it interesting that you provide multiple ring shots to the bride & groom for selection. Do you provide the vertical and horizontal photograph of each set up? Or just three total shots, one from each set-up – either way – great post!!!

43. Jolynn

July 26th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I love when I see a new video post on your blog! They always help so much, and it’s more fun to see you showing us how you work. Loving the studio space, too! It provides a great background!

44. Meredith Sledge

July 26th, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I love that you actually demonstrated! Thank you for that! Super helpful!

45. ajira

July 26th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Gorgeous studio, Jasmine! Love the look- exposed, distressed wood and red leather? Yes, please. And the light installation? Fab!

46. Angie

July 26th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Jasmine, you are amazing! After my wedding I became very interested in photography, and I am starting to do research on it, so that hopefully someday I can start my own photography career! I love all the great tips you have, but there is a lot more that I need to learn. Is there a website, courses, etc. that you recommend for people like me that are at just beginning to learn the basics? Thanks so much, and keep up the amazing work you do!
    Love,
    Angie

47. Jaclyn C.

July 26th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Ahh! This is so helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

48. Susan Evans

July 26th, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Very helpful! Thanks! I can’t believe you can hand hold at 1/60 sec – I seem to be too shaky for that.

49. Camilla jΓΈrvad

July 26th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

this was a great episode of shooting star. very practical and it was wonderful to watch you in action as opposed to always "just" talking. great πŸ™‚

50. Amy

July 26th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

That was great Jasmine, thanks so much! Loved seeing your studio too. πŸ™‚

51. James L Dekker

July 26th, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Great information, thx Jasmine for sharing.

52. cassandra-m

July 26th, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I love lOvE LoVe this video with you moving around in the environment. Although I love all the other videos, this one was different and I liked it….a Lot. :))))

53. cassandra-m

July 26th, 2012 at 11:32 pm

PS….yikes, forgot to say…GREAT VIDEO….Awesome INFO on shooting rings.

54. Regina Chayer

July 27th, 2012 at 12:44 am

Helpful shooting star! I can empathize about the shakey hands with the rings. I once dropped a bride’s diamond inside a piano… had to fish it out with a coat hanger. You will never know how awful those 10 minutes were while they retrieved them them! That same wedding day included a tornado during the ceremony and a reception by candlelight as there was no electricity!

55. Kari Jeanne

July 27th, 2012 at 12:50 am

LOVE this post! Like always, your tips and advice is VERY much appreciated πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

56. Sabrina Wong

July 27th, 2012 at 2:10 am

Thanks for sharing Jasmine, this is so helpful πŸ™‚

57. Dana Fiorito

July 27th, 2012 at 2:53 am

You are beautiful and I have a serious case of jealous-heart over your studio.

58. Kristen

July 27th, 2012 at 3:01 am

Jasmine,
    I’m not in the industry, but I love your blog because of this attitude of everyone helping each other. I work in advertising, own a small business and feel the exact same way…go out of my way to help others professionally in ways big and small…but that mindset seems so unusual. Anyway, love how generous you are to all of those around you. πŸ™‚

59. Neha

July 27th, 2012 at 4:27 am

Awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing….love videos like this! AND LOVE your necklace! πŸ™‚

60. Milton Gan

July 27th, 2012 at 5:18 am

Great video Jasmine! Thanks for sharing and I LOVE your new studio!

61. LEOLAK

July 27th, 2012 at 5:49 am

You look FANTASTIC!!! Can wr have a Shooting Star on your style? Or can I just raid your closet?!? LOL! Studio looks AMAZING and GORGEOUS!! Awesome Shooting Star!

62. Leiriondress

July 27th, 2012 at 6:07 am

Wow,great!Thanks for the info

63. Karen

July 27th, 2012 at 6:27 am

I loooveee your sense of fashion! And thank you so much for sharing!

64. Bruno Delzant

July 27th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Interessting, but please put a grip on your 5D to shoot vertical πŸ˜‰

65. matthew @ a fine press

July 27th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Boy, I’m jealous of that space!

66. Julie Villarreal

July 27th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Love this Jasmine. You always have such great ideas. And you make me believe that I can do it too. Whenever I feel discouraged or that I can’t do it you share something that gives me the spark I need to revive my passion! Thank you!

67. Lena

July 27th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

"LOVE". Because there is no "like" button here. πŸ˜‰

I completely love any type of detail shot – since I switched to Canon last year, I have a 60mm macro lens that I still use on my 7D. (Not sure what would happen if I tried to put it on the 5D3 – but I am not chancing that). The 100 2.8L is soooooo VERY next on my list cuz I just have not been happy with my macro shots of late. (Like less than a month away) Can’t wait to see this Shooting Star! πŸ™‚

68. Adriana Morett

July 27th, 2012 at 6:25 pm

This video was SO amazing, thank you very much I looooved the examples, thank you for taking the time to do this!! Big hug

69. Tammy E

July 27th, 2012 at 8:58 pm

What a fabulous video! I loved the addition of being able to watch you do what you just explained. Twice as effective. Congratulations on your new Studio. It’s beautiful!

70. Jennifer Rice

July 27th, 2012 at 9:36 pm

GET OUT! I just called you the Queen of the Wedding rings about a week ago and was just about to do so on your last wedding blog, begging you to share anything that could help the rest of us…. gum, glue, superhero mind force that holds them in place long enough to photograph them?????? I’m thrilled to see this post! Thanks Jas!!!

71. Tony Harrison

July 28th, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Great tutorial Jasmine – if you are collecting votes on this style of ‘Shooting Star’, then mine is in. Please continue with the commentary and then demonstration. It is *so* very helpful.

72. Mark Martinez Photography

July 29th, 2012 at 3:14 am

Wonderful demo Jasmine! I usually prefer to shoot the rings much tighter to show as much ring detail as possible. While I do love the end results this kind of image requires much more time to set up, smaller apertures and, very often, a tripod or other means to steady the camera. Your post was a very effective demonstration that ring shots can be done quickly and successfully in a number of ways. I will remember this the next time I have 5 minutes to get the ring shot. Thank you for posting this πŸ™‚

73. Jessica

July 29th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

As usual such delightfully helpful tutorials! Thank you!

74. Alex Sablan

July 29th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Mark was correct, I think this video will help an abundance of people. Your videos are always spot on and informative.

75. Lacey Rabalais

July 30th, 2012 at 11:13 am

Love this. Thanks for sharing.

76. Liz McNeil

July 30th, 2012 at 6:23 pm

You are so cool and so helpful! Thanks for your detailed tutorials.

77. Ela- Studio Finch

July 31st, 2012 at 5:20 am

Loving the new workspace!!! πŸ™‚

78. Evonne & Darren

July 31st, 2012 at 9:32 pm

LOVE your video tutorial, Jas! Thanks for sharing, as always!

79. Kayla

August 2nd, 2012 at 5:15 am

Thank you! Thank you! Thank yoU!

80. LightworksPhotography

August 2nd, 2012 at 11:48 am

Great stuff! It’s so easy just to do the same thing over and over at each wedding and this has provided some great inspiration and ideas – thank you!

81. Donna Binbek

August 5th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for this video! I LOVE ring shot because you can really make them look fun and beautiful; so many possibilities. I have also subscribed to your YouTube video channel!

82. Sarah

August 7th, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Fantastic post Jasmine, thank you so much! I’m off to check out some more of your videos x

83. Linda Baca

August 8th, 2012 at 9:10 pm

That was fabulous video and so helpful. I have a wedding next month will definitely will apply what you have taught me! Thank you πŸ™‚

84. Hailey

August 14th, 2012 at 5:28 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am just so appreciative and inspired by your willingness and passion to help others. Blessings!

85. JamieY

August 22nd, 2012 at 1:35 am

Such helpful info, but honestly my favorite part is looking at your studio. I LOVE IT! It is pretty much exactly how I want my house to look.

86. Nicolas Dixon

January 14th, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Well you need to choose the right background for the shot. I always like to take the picture of Wedding Rings with nature background, it gives the pics some extra power.