Shooting Star : Packing for Destination Shoots

In light of the length of yesterday’s blog post, I’m going to keep this entry short and sweet. Or, shall I say Fun Sized? Speaking of that term, someone once said I was Fun Sized and thought I’d offended being equated with miniature pieces of candy, but I’ve realized anything sugar related is totally acceptable. Heck, I might even respond to High Fructose Corn Syrup if you said it nicely. Seeing how I’m out of the office, I didn’t think it was reason enough not to keep running with the Shooting Star videos, so this week I’m talking about how I pack for destination weddings, and destination shoots in general.

Please note…
*Shooting in a different location threw me off my game, so there’s an overabundance of flubs. Yes, I’ll blame the location.
*I referenced my Tenba backpack and our Shootsacs.
*I referenced my off-camera flash set up for receptions.
*We used a new song this week and I think it’s saucy. This might also reveal how unsaucy I am in real life because the song may not at all be saucy, but I’m okay with it.

For future FAQ Questions, you can submit them on Facebook!

Happy Thursday!

1. Aga Luczakowska

January 13th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I can not watch the video. I see it’s private.. how can I see it?

2. Pam Linfitt

January 13th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

THe video says it’s private and I am unable to watch… :o(

3. chalea

January 13th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

it is private again.

4. Claudia

January 13th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I am so loving your videos…..

5. Michelle Nakasato

January 13th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I like the new song! 🙂 So now i’m curious– 🙂 you’re there just for a photoshoot or a wedding too? 🙂 excited to see what the week brings and cant wait to see what you do w the challenge of the rain! 🙂 you’ll do fabulous regardless! 🙂

6. Sara Lando

January 13th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

LOVE the new videos you are shooting.

7. kelsey tice

January 13th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

j*, you’re a rockstar.

8. Stephanie Stewart

January 13th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I love your videos! You mentioned you brought your off-camera lighting setup…will you be using that for the session? Or do you also have a wedding where you’ll be using it? Can’t wait to see your images!

9. anda

January 13th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

loved it! jasmine, i would love for you to talk about how to determine travel charges for destination weddings sometime. do you have a flat rate or do you try to book all your stuff and then tell the client the price? or do you negotiate depending on the wedding (for example — "oh you’re getting married in italy? yes please! i will charge you not that much," haha)? do you have the couple arrange your flights and hotel etc? do you request to stay where the guests are staying? i lost a lot of money on destination wedding travel last year and i don’t want to make that same mistake again — but it feels crazy asking someone for thousands of dollars to cover travel expenses! okay — this is too long; i apologize!

10. Julia

January 13th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

There is definite sauce in that song! Have love it since I first heard it in Confessions of a Shopaholic!

11. Tira J

January 13th, 2011 at 5:22 pm

You’re cute! Can’t wait to see the images from this shoot.

12. nadya

January 13th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

that is indeed saucy music lol i like it i was dancin in my seat LOL! Great video post, good info!

13. laetitia

January 13th, 2011 at 5:27 pm

you know what I actually love the ending song !!!

14. Latina

January 13th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Perfect timing I am on my way to a destination and I always feel as though I am packing too much or sometimes too little. Thank you for this Jasmine you are such a blessing!

15. Kelly

January 13th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

The music is SAW-SEE girl! I love it and these tips are always something I look forward to. Thank you….as always! 🙂

16. Kim Bauer

January 13th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Girl, you’re awesome! Great video again, and I loved the saucy music. Are you shooting these with your camera? They’re amazing quality! Keep ’em coming!

17. Woman of Faith Photography

January 13th, 2011 at 5:46 pm

It looks like you are having a relaxed time before the shoot! Looking forward to seeing the beautiful photos that you and JD will get 🙂
    I remember being in Hawaii and being so surprised with how much rain there was! Hope it clears up for the bride and groom.

18. Courtney

January 13th, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Thanks for sharing…Although not my first destination wedding, I’m flying for the first time in July with all my gear in tow, that’s my big fear – how’s the plane going to handle my stuff?! I’m still really looking forward to it 🙂

19. Alison

January 13th, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Hi Jasmine! Love your Shooting Star videos! I have a few questions about destination weddings – How do market/brand yourself to attract the destination wedding client? And afterward….more than likely the bride/groom live far from you…..what is your process for them seeing images and then picking out an album?

20. kat - rocknrollbride

January 13th, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Mrs you are hella cute hehe! just had to throw that in there…

21. Nadine Burzler Photography

January 13th, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Haha I’m loving this! There’s something about it not being so perfect that makes it perfect… ;D

22. Rhonda

January 13th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Totally agree with everyone…. the video and quality is great! Honestly, the thing that stood out to me this time was your eye shadow. LOL I thought it popped!…. especially with your clothes and the general coloring of the setting. Have a great trip!

23. Lili J.

January 13th, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Jasmine.. what camera was used to film this?.. I really enjoy the interactive blog posts by the way!

24. Lila Purdy

January 13th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I see a wedding band on… lol

25. Deborah

January 13th, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I just want to tell you how in love I am with you. And I don’t even roll that way! lol

Thank you for all of this! You inspire me and my business all the time!

26. Jess

January 13th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Hi…I absolutely LOVE (lovelovelove) your videos. I’m learning so much from them. So thank you for being willing to be so open about what you know.

Ps: And you look so good in this video – Hawaii is working for you :o)

27. James Reyes Photography

January 13th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I love these new video FAQs Jasmine! Keep up the great work. Hoping to see you at WPPI!

28. StephGarvey

January 13th, 2011 at 6:42 pm

How many hours/days do you arrive in advance for a destination shoot/destination wedding?

29. Claire

January 13th, 2011 at 6:55 pm

My question is: Is it possible for the security scanner machines to damage your camera at all? (When your carry-on items are being scanned)

30. Yuliya

January 13th, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Thank you as always ;).

31. Amanda

January 13th, 2011 at 7:11 pm

J* as just an amateur photographer I love hearing/reading your posts. You are an inspiration to many people!

32. Shannon M.

January 13th, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I was hoping to see inside your actual backpack to see how your lens are set up! Otherwise, great video!

33. a little bit of whimsy photography

January 13th, 2011 at 7:30 pm

as per your usual. nail has been hit on the head!!!!. loving the music

34. Karen (Mikols) Bonar

January 13th, 2011 at 7:36 pm

The music is TOTALLY saucy and I LUUUURVE it! 🙂

35. Cory Skretting

January 13th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I have never been able to get away to attend a workshop so I really appreciate you sharing through these video clips, Thank you for taking the time! I noted another question regarding the time you allow yourself at a destination before the big day. I too am curious if you give yourself a certain amount of time to check out the location before hand and what details you’re looking for. Does it take you a day or so to physically adjust to the climate or time changes?

36. Erin Potter

January 13th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Glad to see that you are enjoying Maui! Maui No Ka Oi (Maui Is The Best)!! Again, sorry about all the wind, rain, road closures, and power outages! What a winter storm we are having!

I want to echo what everyone is saying. Mahalo Nui Loa for all the shooting star videos! As a newbie, who is FINALLY getting serious about learning how to really use my camera, and dreaming of doing photography for a living, I am learning A TON from your videos, and blogs (FAQ’s, etc). It would’ve been awesome to meet you or just watch you work! I hope that you are shooting at the moment, as it seems there’s a break in the weather right now! That couple is so BLESSED to have you and JD! Looking forward to seeing how you capture my island home, as well as the lucky couple! Much Aloha, and Mahalo!!

37. Allison Roen

January 13th, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Jasmine, I am loving these videos – thanks for all the tips! I can’t wait to see your rainy day weddings shots!

38. gladys jem

January 13th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

i can’t wait to see your shoot from hawaii. just wanted to drop by and say hi! oh and i want that backpack! xo

39. Cat Watson

January 13th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Love the music! All of these videos have been great, I really love them:) I have a question about destinations weddings with regards to booking flights/hotels/rental cars. Do you book them and then turn in receipts to the bride? Do you collect that at the same time you collect commission for the wedding itself? Do you confer with the bride before booking to make sure the amount will not surprise her? Just seeing how you go about that whole process, as it can seem to get a little tricky:) Thanks!

40. Peter

January 13th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Well, all I can say is, pack that gear carefully! I just pulled my 50 1.4 out of the bag and NO FOCUS.

41. stephanie

January 13th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I would want to know about the off camera lighting you brought.

42. Jenny

January 13th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Oooo — LOVE your purse! 🙂

43. Evonne & Darren

January 13th, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Your camera gear fits in JD’s backpack? I’d love to see how you organize your bags! We always pack our whole Think Tank for destination shoots and it becomes very heavy. Maybe we need to start consolidate everything like you mentioned. Thanks for the tips and advice as always!

44. Kristen

January 13th, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I had a bride change her wedding from NJ to St. Lucia! Each time I’ve called the cosulate no one has ANY CLUE about needing a work permit. They’ve all just said "i don’t THINK" so. I don’t want to show up in St. Lucia with a huge problem on my hands. Are you familiar with shooting there and if/what I would need??

45. Shilpy

January 13th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Your video’s are AMAZING. Like the music…very saucy!!!
    Umm, would you be able to record your next Shooting Star vid on 720p? What can i say, High Def rocks =D

46. cassandra-m

January 13th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I learned to pack light from a friend. I know roll my clothes up to save room. 😉 thanks for sharing your tips…have fun in Hawaii.

47. Heather Alkhateeb

January 13th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Fab new song- I totally love it! More importantly, where did you get that purse/laptop bag. I think I’m in love 🙂

48. Kim Bauer

January 13th, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Wonderful as always! I can’t believe you pack so lightly! I have 2 kids so I guess I’m just used to taking the world with us. Hope the rain dries up for you!

49. MichelleSibley

January 13th, 2011 at 10:30 pm

oooh, Cat Watson…your questions are bang on! I would love to hear from our shooting star, Jaz, regarding Cat’s questions. Thank you Cat Watson. Thank you Jasmine. Mighty fine shooting star videos so far. Keep ’em coming please.

January 14th, 2011 at 1:20 am

So excited you answered a question of mine! Though I still don’t know how you are able to carry on all your toiletries! I think my liquids alone would overflow the quart sized bag they have to fit into!

51. Ingrid Haring-Mendes

January 14th, 2011 at 1:43 am

Thanks, Love the little tutorials/Q&A.
    Light travel is the way to go.

52. Salwa

January 14th, 2011 at 1:44 am

I love that you link to some of the key references you make in these videos – so helpful, thank you!

53. Mona Alicia

January 14th, 2011 at 2:17 am

I love your makeup, the color on your lip is so gorgeous and natural looking with your skin tone! Have fun shooting, I can’t wait to see the results from these shoots!

54. Erin

January 14th, 2011 at 2:33 am

Love the videos! Here’s a question…what do you do when it is raining during an outdoor ceremony or reception? Do you protect your gear and shoot anyway, or do you not shoot until it stops raining?

55. amanda thiessen

January 14th, 2011 at 2:34 am

i love the video posts!!

56. Catherine K

January 14th, 2011 at 3:02 am

I’m loving your Shooting Star videos. They’re very insightful! I agree with you, the music is saucey… 🙂 Keep up the good work.

57. Mary Dunlap

January 14th, 2011 at 3:28 am

Loving the videos!!

58. Matthew Saville

January 14th, 2011 at 7:53 am

I personally prefer to roll with the Tenba Messenger Bag, because it fits a laptop plus two cameras and accessories *UNDER* a seat. To me this is very important because if I’m ever on a full plane, they can *force* you to check an overhead suitcase. I’d hate to let my gear out of my sight! So, all the stuff I could afford to lose goes overhead, and all or most of the expensive stuff goes under the seat. 🙂 Enjoy your time in Hawaii, Jasmine; I’m heading to Tahoe for a wedding next weekend! 10 feet of snow, woohoo! 😛 =Matt=`

59. Jess

January 14th, 2011 at 11:57 am

I love the background, too! 🙂 Who knew a hotel would be such a great spot for a video?

60. Ashli

January 14th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Yes! Thank you Jasmine! Perfect timing.

61. Rachel

January 14th, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m a little surprised that you don’t travel with equipment in a hard case.

62. Diana Lupu

January 14th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

lol you’re"flubs" are adorable. =) This was a fantastic post! Thanks for the insight… I always over pack so this was great to know!

63. Libby K.

January 14th, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Pretty sure your blogs were made just for me this week. I have never done a destination shoot before and I have two coming up this year.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

64. Rudi

January 14th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I like the new song! Perfect choise!

65. Karine Ardault

January 14th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

love the videos;
    as the previous ones, this one is great!
    cannot wait to see more of this wedding 🙂

66. Carrie Vines

January 14th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Hallelujah Jasmine for this episode!! I was up half the night thinking of questions for you! We’re just 6 months away from our first International wedding in Costa Rica and I had a small panic attack thinking of what to take, etc. Bless you for sharing this!!

67. Karen Taggart

January 14th, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I’m 5’2 (and a half!)" so when we went to a "silly T-shirt party" last summer I wore a shirt that said "I’m not short I’m fun size"! 🙂

68. Laura

January 14th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

You are rocking it out with the video Q&A. Lovin it!!!

69. Erica Velasco

January 14th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Love this post! I do a lot of travel and this is a great post.

70. jamilah

January 14th, 2011 at 9:11 pm

LOVE IT! Yet another awesome video installment… and I’m diggin the music!

71. Amanda

January 14th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

First, LOVE the J. James song! Very saucy! I have it on my workout playlist.

Second, thanks for the fantastic info. I’m going to replay this video for myself when I travel to Washington/Oregon again this summer!

Thanks, j*, you rock!

72. Emily Dobson

January 15th, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I don’t travel…really I’m just hoping for 8-10 weddings this year. But, this post did make me dream a little… 😉

73. Lini99

January 16th, 2011 at 10:13 am

C’mon, open the bags, we want to see everything. You’ve taught us to be nosey, in an adoring way of course. 🙂

74. MartaV

January 16th, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I’m a little late getting to watch this video. Love, love the music. It is totally one in my workout playlist. Is it sad that I kindof sing it to myself sometimes when I buy a new pair of bluejeans? 🙂 This info was great. I recently shot a wedding in Kauai and it was really hard to pare down what I brought. I did better than before but I still need to work on streamlining the process for next time. Timely info as usual. I totally get you on the rain. It makes it a challenge but that’s what makes it fun.

75. Bobbie Brown

January 17th, 2011 at 4:40 am

Girl you do a ‘fabulous’ job on these!!! Seriously!

76. Amanda

January 17th, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Jasmine! Thanks for the info. This year I have a several far away shoots and will be taking my camera gear on a plane for the first time. I am terrified of something being lost, broken, stolen, or x-rayed to death! HELP !! How do I get my precious gear through airport security, across connecting flights, and keep it safe?

77. Lyne Inhoff

January 17th, 2011 at 7:53 pm

My 2 cents: the new song sounds awesome ( who sings it?? what’s it called?) but…. i like the old one better.. it’s a little more.. professional. But then again, you don’t need to be professional all the time 😛

Loved the video.. as always! 😀 Thank you for letting us into your lives! Glad you had fun in Hawaii 🙂

78. Sarah

January 17th, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I’m a giant fan of your photography, your writing, and your videos. Thank you for the daily bit of inspiration. It means a lot to me.

More than that…I’m such a fan of your makeup. If you secretly mine YouTube for the best eye makeup tutorials, feel free to pass those gems on. (I’m proud of my photography skills. I will not use them, however, to photograph my eye makeup. Seriously, those makeup counter ladies at the mall literally will hop over the counter, brushes in hand, to fix whatever I’ve got going on.)

All the best to you! Thanks, again, for being one of my favorite spots to visit on the Internet.

79. Debra

January 18th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Okay, just want to say – you are amazing. I love how authentic you are. Thank you for all of your helpful tips!

80. Alyssa

January 19th, 2011 at 1:54 am

Love it! I am going to be shooting a destination wedding this March and found all of your tips VERY helpful!! Thanks again and happy shooting!

81. Trish Finfer

January 19th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I’ve been thinking a lot about destination weddings and would love to know how a contract needs to be different for the special conditions of shooting outside your home city as well as who pays & books everything – (photographers travel/hotel/meals, etc.). TIA!

82. mike

January 19th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Love the music.
    So question for shooting abroad, specially Mexico and Italy. Do I need a VISA or any kind of work permit from said country? I have visions of me not having the right documentation and then living out a scene from MIDNIGHT EXPRESS. You have amazing insight, thank you for sharing!!!!

83. Leah Hill

January 19th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Would it be weird to ask you to post some photos of your the inside of your packed bags? It seems you’ve got it totally figured out, but the thought of packing gear amongst clothes as padding makes my stomach turn a little. Though I have been told I’m a worrier…

84. Christina

January 20th, 2011 at 5:25 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE these new videos that you’re doing. I have ADD so the repeating yourself, totally works for me. Thanks for the insight!

85. Genevieve McKeiver

March 5th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

If you are gone for the whole week do you still bring a carry on? I leave tomorrow for the Bahamas and there is no way I could bring one small bag!