Shooting Star : Photographing Groom Prep

That one was too long. Yup, you did it again…too long. Maybe you’re just talking more than usual, JD said as he adjusted the camera yesterday. My goal is to keep Shooting Star videos around four minutes, but–apparently–I had a lot to say. Or I was extra nervous. Or maybe I need to speak faster. Just kidding, we all know I speak fast enough to be a part-time auctioneer, but I’m looking for an excuse here, Internet.

This week’s installment of Shooting Star focuses on photographing Groom Prepration Photos on a Wedding Day, a continuation from bridal preparation photos. Here I’ll explain the priliminary outline I provided to JD on how to shoot the guys while they dressed in five simple steps:
1. Knock on door and Introduce yourself to the groom as the assistant photographer to “X” and proper introductory protocol.
2. Introduce yourself to every person on the room.
3. Give permission to relax and be comfortable.
4. Fiddle/tinker with your camera bag as a distraction to create space for comfortability.
5. How to Photograph Groom Details
    a. Styling
    b. Prep
    c. Lifestyle

I also answered the following questions proffered from Facebook and Twitter (as well as answered popular questions in the video itself)…
“Do you have advice on how to coach the Groom for the “first look” photo?”
“How about posing a Groom who doesn’t feel comfortable with posing?”
“How do you work in messy environments when photographing a Groom getting ready?”
“New ways to set up boys? I always end up with the same stuff.. Boys stump me”

Like always, I don’t talk fast…you listen slow. Zing! I hope this offered a tiny bit of light into how I work and if it helps one person, I’m happy.

1. kaethe

December 29th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

such useful advice! thank you!

2. Monica G

December 29th, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for another great post! Who cares if its longer than 4 minutes 😀 I still watched the whole thing!

3. anna

December 29th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

jasmine, this video has given me the confidence i was looking for to shoot my sister’s wedding, which is in four days. i have been having nightmares about not getting the right photos, and listening to you talk through was so helpful and inspiring! it is my first wedding as the main photographer, and your advice works for more situations than just the groom – like how to get good candid shots. thank you so much for doing these videos!

4. jessica vidmar photography

December 29th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

or worse…handshaking!! too funny (and true), i love it. Thanks : )

December 29th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Scratching!!! LMAO!!! You can talk as long and as fast as you want…I’ll listen everytime and I follow along just fine since I speak about the same speed! Work those guns lady! LOL Thanks for the info!

6. Sarah Mariel

December 29th, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Hahaha. Scratching. It’s funny cause it’s true:)

7. Adriana Morett

December 29th, 2011 at 5:58 pm

OMG! You answered my question!! THANK YOUUUU =)) Abrazos!

8. Ashley B

December 29th, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I’m a second shooter, and I am ALWAY with the guys… lucky me! This definitely helped and gave some new pointers/ideas.

9. Claudia

December 29th, 2011 at 6:42 pm

i just love this videos. thanks a bunch.

10. Katelyn James

December 29th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

hahaha I love that you don’t edit out your mess ups! 🙂 muah!

11. Ashley Goodwin

December 29th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

"Hi, I’m Jasmine Star’s second shooter!" SCOOOREEEE!
    This was great! I always stick with the bride because the boys make me nervous, they get ready so fast and are always uber aware of the camera, so fantastic tips!

& I had a strangest dream last night where you took me to your house and then left and I was supposed to be working and a CARNIVAL showed up and took over your back yard and I was like "Jasmine’s life is a CIRCUS!!" It had me all confused this morning, you know, one of those dreams where no one gets it but you just have to share? HAHAHAHAH. Weeeiiirrrdddddddd.

12. Ashley Goodwin

December 29th, 2011 at 8:24 pm

ps: How funny, my blog post today too was about how I talk wayyyyy too much so instead of a long post (as usual), I made it short and sweet. Not easy.
    So instead of talking all over my blog, I’m talking all over yours? xo

13. Bethany

December 29th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

HILARIOUS… scratching. whatever guys do in those rooms. fantastic.

14. Robert Hunter

December 29th, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Thanks Jasmine! You shared some really great tips!

15. Shane O' Sullivan

December 30th, 2011 at 12:06 am

Ha, scratching 😉

16. Kat

December 30th, 2011 at 12:57 am

JD’s photos of the guys getting ready are always some of my favorite shots from your weddings. You and I in a conversation together would be insanity, because I talk REALLY fast too.

17. Karen

December 30th, 2011 at 1:34 am

Lol, scratching. Thanks for sharing! I always love (and appreciate) all the advice you give!

18. Bryan

December 30th, 2011 at 3:14 am

Guys are simple. If you float an idea to a group of guys you’ll get a pretty honest response, so I just push the envelope to see how crazy they will get. Eventually they push back and that’s where I stop.

19. Schaffer Photography

December 30th, 2011 at 4:20 am

Thanks for the great advice! Any suggestions for getting ready photos of the groom when you work alone? In the video, you have listed a lot of photos that you have JD take but when I shoot alone I usually only have 5-10 minutes for groom photos. Suggestions?

20. Tony Belmont

December 30th, 2011 at 6:11 am

Great insights. And I’ve learned to listen faster, LOL. 🙂

21. KrisD Mauga

December 30th, 2011 at 7:39 am

I love how you almost couldn’t keep yourself from giggling from your scratching comment

22. Lydia Arnold

December 30th, 2011 at 10:43 am

Very helpful advice for second shooters! Thanks for sharing your wisdom 🙂

23. ashley barnett

December 30th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Love this post! I always feel like the groom shots go by so fast because they get ready so fast! But this helps really slow down and look at the groom prep as just as important to the overall story of the day as the brides. Happy New Year Jasmine! <3

24. Vanessa M

December 30th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Hahaha! "Scratching or whatever guys do." LOL! Great post (as usual). Thanks and Happy New Year!

25. Belinda

December 30th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Jasmine!

26. MegganB

December 30th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Dude!! I was hoping to see JD take this one on! 🙂

27. Jeff

December 31st, 2011 at 12:22 am

Great post as always! Guys are fun to shoot, but are totally different experience compared to the ladies.

28. Shirrine Ocean Singh

December 31st, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I love everything you do – photography, writing, and now decorating! Do you mind sharing how you made your newspaper collage? Magazine paper ? New York Times? Its the jam to my peanut butter….thanks!

29. DK Kilgour

January 1st, 2012 at 1:24 am

Wow you really do talk fast! Awesome advice Jasmine. Fantastic help

30. Leslie

January 2nd, 2012 at 4:01 pm

love love this post! love that is was longer than 4 minutes too! ha ha … such great and easy advice/tips!

31. JennyRain

January 2nd, 2012 at 6:59 pm

So helpful! I had the privilege of shooting w/my tog mentor here in VA for my 1st wedding and he got SO much out of the guys (the pix were hilarious!) – if I ever have to shoot guys, your advice is perfect. (Tho I hope I can always get my mentor to come with me 🙂

32. Yuliya M.

January 8th, 2012 at 12:33 am

Thank you, this helps a lot!

33. Trysha

January 10th, 2012 at 5:45 am

The number one thing I remember was that "women want to look gorgeous and guys want to look cool."
    I try to keep that in mind when posing/shooting.

34. Patti

January 12th, 2012 at 3:27 pm

You rock, thanks for sharing this with us!

35. Jessica K. Sullivan

January 12th, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Great advice! This is exactly what I try to do when I meet the guys, and it works! The guys can be so much fun!

36. Hannah Beatrice

January 13th, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Oh yea … getting them handshaking after the scratching … that’s why it’s not a good idea!

37. Amber Fox

January 14th, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I am so excited when I come to your blog for some photo inspiration and I find exactly what I need. Today I am second shooting a wedding, which I normally shoot portraits, and you gave me exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for all the great tips. And Jasmine, seriously, thank you so much for all the teaching and inspiring you for the photog community. You are simply fabulous!

38. Autumn Teesdale

January 16th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Great advice!! I never know what to do with the guys when I get to the room! Thank you!

39. Jennifer Parke

January 21st, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thank you so much for posting another episode of shooting Star! They are so HELPFUL! Please keep them coming!