Shooting Star : Posing Behind the Scenes

Shooting Star : Posing Behind the Scenes

Photography

I’m sure it’s no surprise, but I really didn’t keep up with football this year. I know, I know…I’m sure I strike you as John Madden Junior, but throwing a ball, running, and smashing into someone else just isn’t my thing. However, I played on a flag football team in college (Go Bulldogs!) and I was pretty intimidating. I can snarl and talk trash about yo mama like a legit linesman. Honest. I watched the Super Bowl yesterday and enjoyed a great game, although Half Time was my favorite part…duh. Can we please give it up for Madonna? Dear sweetbabyjesus, can I please look that good when I’m 52?!

Moving onto other things photography related, last week I photographed my best friend and JD decided to shoot behind-the-scenes video of me shooting. I have to admit watching the footage was painful (I’m much cooler in my mind), but I thought it’d make a different type of Shooting Star. These videos usually offer insight, but this one will offer a sneak peek into how I work.

Sidenote: The audio isn’t that great. I should repeat that last part because I’m sure someone will USE CAP LOCKS on YouTube and tell me to use a wireless mic. Internet, I wasn’t planning on the video…JD isn’t a videographer…and it was windy. I get it. If we decide to put something like this together in the future we’ll–of course–approach it differently, but I’m okay with our ghetto fab attempt for now.

If you disagree, I’ll talk trash about yo mama.

In this installment of Shooting Star, I’ll discuss Posing, but, more specifically…
*getting a subject warmed up at the beginning of a photo shoot with simple tips on how to position the body and arms.
*using a story to convey an idea or way I’d like to see the subject posed.
*talking and coaching from behind the camera to ensure the subject feels confident.

Happy Monday!

comments

1. Life with Kaishon -

She is so lovely. I hope she takes NYC by storm and has a blast!

2.6.12 - 3:04 pm

2. Gabby / En Route Photography -

FAB FAB FAB!!! Love to see behind the scene videos and would absolutely love to see more, especially from real weddings! πŸ˜‰ GO JD!

2.6.12 - 3:28 pm

3. Chris -

You’re too hard on yourself with the video quality. I’ve seen much much worse from people who ARE videographers, and DID plan on shooting a BTS. Well done. I always find these things interesting to watch so thanks πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 3:38 pm

4. Laura Stribling -

At the end of the video I just realized that your banter was just naturally making me smiling. Good job!

2.6.12 - 3:42 pm

5. Kerrie -

Fab as ever Jasmine. It’s really useful to see an insight to how you shoot. I know you’ve spoken before about how you get clients to act out a situation and this really helped to illustrate that. Would love an insight to a engagement shoot! πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 3:54 pm

6. Brianna -

LOVED this so much!! I’ve always wondered how you interact with clients during your sessions and this was such a great insight into it!! Please do more of these!!

2.6.12 - 4:00 pm

7. Rachel Leigh Greene -

That was really helpful! Thank you, Jasmine! πŸ˜€

2.6.12 - 4:08 pm

8. Alizeh -

Great post, but tehre is wayyyyyyyy to much of a gap btw the shooting Star webisodes!.

2.6.12 - 4:09 pm

9. Snippets of Thyme (Sarah) -

Wonderful demonstration for a newbie like me. Can you tell us what lens you are using for this shoot? Is that a 25-75mm lens? Thank you Jasmine!

2.6.12 - 4:10 pm

10. Katelyn -

I love this kind of behind-the-scenes idea! It gave me a little bit more of an idea of what photographers actually do while they’re shooting. I was smiling by the end! Thanks for the video!

2.6.12 - 4:13 pm

11. Steph! -

Loved this! Thanks for sharing!:)

2.6.12 - 4:14 pm

12. Neha -

So informative!!! I loved the added video and seeing you in action! Thanks!

2.6.12 - 4:15 pm

13. teri -

loved seeing this. thank you!

2.6.12 - 4:17 pm

14. andrea -

You are fantastic Star, but please you have to consider the fact that your audience is not only native English-speaking so please try to talk a little bit slowly, just for us poor Italians not always good at English. …Seriously, thanks for your suggestions always very interesting and practical.

2.6.12 - 4:20 pm

15. Linda -

Oh my gosh, more of this! Thank you so much for posting a behind the scenes… this right here is worth 20 blog posts on the subject of how to pose people. LOVED it and want more of it!

2.6.12 - 4:21 pm

16. Erin -

Great segment! Loved seeing how you work. Thanks for sharing, Jasmine.

2.6.12 - 4:23 pm

17. Paula Franco FOTOGRAFÍA -

Of course it helps a lot!! Sometimes I need to see other photographers working it’s inspiring and refreshing. And of course it helps me to learn more!!
    Thanks so much for sharing! Your work is great and you are even better for let us know about it. Kisses!!

2.6.12 - 4:23 pm

18. Dana Laymon -

FABULOUS! what a great idea- it’s about time we got some behind the scenes video of you! very helpful. thanks as always!

2.6.12 - 4:25 pm

19. Autumn Lee -

How fun!!! That is great to see you in action…I am working on learning "action" posing so this was fab-u-lous πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 4:38 pm

20. Claudia -

I super love this shooting star video. thanks. πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 4:40 pm

21. Shauna -

Posing can be difficult and making it look natural. Thanks for sharing your tips.

2.6.12 - 4:41 pm

22. Shauna -

2.6.12 - 4:42 pm

23. Shauna -

2.6.12 - 4:42 pm

24. Feather Midgley -

This is so awesome! Thank you so much. I use to do my shoots very similar, but then I got caught up in things I heard people (not clients) say and thought I was doing things wrong and second guessed myself, and my work has suffered for it. Thanks for helping me to find my confidence again, and remember to follow my gut and be me.!

2.6.12 - 4:45 pm

25. Vera -

You just filled your quota of one person helped! I think I’ll apply these tips to posing seniors!

2.6.12 - 4:46 pm

26. naomi chokr -

I loooove your behind the scenes video! amazing job JD! More of these please. I think you stumbled upon something awesome!!

2.6.12 - 4:50 pm

27. lrntn -

Hi Jasmine– this is really so helpful to see, and so great of you guys to keep on doing this. I’m not a pro, nor do I shoot people all that much, butI love learning new things and seeing how photographers that I admire work. Many thanks! (PS–the sound is perfectly fine)

2.6.12 - 5:24 pm

28. Stephanie -

These videos are so incredibly helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to make them!

2.6.12 - 5:29 pm

29. Susannah -

Thanks Jasmine. Love to see how other photographers work it….that is super helpful.

2.6.12 - 5:30 pm

30. Vail Fucci -

As always I love how you find the light =) Both physical light and the lightness in the situation πŸ˜‰ You could see how you were putting her at ease and that makes it so much more natural. Always astonished at the shots you get with no artificial reflectors and no flash!

2.6.12 - 5:47 pm

31. Elisa -

Such a great post! I love the idea of creating a story for a client to act out.

2.6.12 - 5:56 pm

32. Laura Kelly -

This has been THE best installment of Shooting Star ever!!! It was so cool to get a glimpse of things to say to clients, and how you speak during a shoot. Thank you SO much, you’re fabulous. Can’t wait to see you from afar during WPPI!!

2.6.12 - 6:01 pm

33. Christina Shumway -

I’m not a photographer, but I’ve had many experiences with photographers as being a professional bridesmaid πŸ™‚ Your approach is so incredibly smart & personable. It’s like a mix of art and psychology.

2.6.12 - 6:08 pm

34. Joy -

Love, Love, Love – heard you perfectly in the video to. Thanks bunches! muahhhh

2.6.12 - 6:10 pm

35. Mrs. Jeffrey -

Another awesome installment J* Totally LOVE letting us see you in action.

2.6.12 - 6:12 pm

36. I'm Kristen -

You really do a fantastic job working with clients at a shoot. I love how you throw yourself into it 110%.

2.6.12 - 6:19 pm

37. Mercy N. -

This is amazing! Thank you! I would love to see you in action one day. I am so looking forward to meeting you at The Fix : Dallas. Thank you for this video. You are so inspiring.

2.6.12 - 6:20 pm

38. essie jane -

This is *SO* helpful, Jasmine! It is awesome to be able to watch somebody else pose and interact with a subject. THANK YOU!

2.6.12 - 6:24 pm

39. Jennifer Hudspeth -

PERFECT. I couldn’t ask for a better explanation. (Thank you JD for filming her!) : D

2.6.12 - 6:47 pm

40. desiree -

I LOVE this! This definitely helps me to think of how to interact with a client and get them to feel comfortable with the camera!!! She looks so confident & strong!!!

2.6.12 - 6:47 pm

41. Kate Douthwright -

Live these tips jasmine! Seriously so helpful, I love it!

2.6.12 - 6:51 pm

42. Michelle Feeney -

Totally cool, thanks for sharing.

2.6.12 - 6:52 pm

43. Christa -

Wow! You’re good and Melanie looks like a natural πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 7:26 pm

44. Pamela -

This was AWESOME!! I would love to see more video behind the scenes. Way to go JD, you hit the nail on the head with this one and the video instead of pictures!!

2.6.12 - 7:46 pm

45. Karen Lee -

LOVE the behind the scenes video! Look forward to more of these! πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 8:07 pm

46. Karin -

This was awesome, Jasmine. You do such a great job of conveying confidence and making the subject feel sure of herself. Thanks so much for sharing!

2.6.12 - 8:11 pm

47. Brent - Live View Studios -

Great! I always love to see behind the scenes things πŸ˜‰ Thanks for sharing!

2.6.12 - 8:20 pm

48. Karin -

Oh Jasmine, I cannot thank you enough for all your help. I feel so inspired by the portraits you make and my main questions are about posing. I have my first shoot in two weeks and this will be soooooo helpful!!

2.6.12 - 8:26 pm

49. Sonal -

Absolutely loved this Shooting Star, Jasmine! I love love love to see examples of client interaction, and you just do it so flawlessly. If I was your client I would find that type of interaction so light and fun — and that is the type of experience I am looking to create too, for my clients. Thanks for sharing this by video!!

2.6.12 - 8:39 pm

50. Melanie -

Awesome video Jasmine & JD! Super helpful!

2.6.12 - 8:51 pm

51. Antonia Chick -

Thank You for sharing this – some really useful tips.

2.6.12 - 8:51 pm

52. Mia Bjerring -

Loved this! It was such a helpful video for sure so goal accomplished πŸ˜‰ It was great to see how you make your client feel comfortable!

2.6.12 - 8:52 pm

53. ashley barnett -

This is awesome! I really like how you incorporate little stories into getting the client comfortable and then have them repeat the action several times. Sometimes I get too nervous or afraid I am making them feel awkward by asking them do a post or motion repeatedly but I see how easy it can be to do it now while still keeping the client engaged and focused- awesome tips!

2.6.12 - 9:00 pm

54. Bernadette Chase -

Thanks so much Jasmine! This is so helpful! Please tell JD he did a fabulous job. πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 9:25 pm

55. Patti Mustain -

Thanks Jasmine, That was awesome!

2.6.12 - 9:39 pm

56. Chris Baltazar -

Thanks for sharing these tips.

2.6.12 - 10:14 pm

57. Tony Harrison -

Loved this post Jasmine – great to see you actually working, and really hope you’ll be putting more of this up in the future. Absolute gold.

2.6.12 - 10:18 pm

58. Lindsay -

love love love…please do these types of posts more often!

2.6.12 - 10:20 pm

59. Lindsay -

Love seeing you in your element, Jasmine. Shooting Star is my favorite. I vote for more behind the scenes!!! FABULOUS as always. πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 10:45 pm

60. Nikki McKenzie -

That is so helpful! Thanks πŸ™‚

2.6.12 - 11:18 pm

61. amanda truth -

Girl. You are so FABULOUS. I loved seeing all the behind the scenes and watching how you work!! And the audio is definitely not as bad as you think it is. Love love LOVE.

2.6.12 - 11:55 pm

62. Gina -

You are simply great! This video helps us to have a small-tiny-portion of your amazing work style! As always, bravo!

2.7.12 - 12:00 am

63. Laura Barnes -

This was awesome! Thanks so much for posting!

2.7.12 - 12:03 am

64. Jack Pope -

I was just having trouble posing a subject who felt awkward yesterday. Thanks for this video– it helps a ton!

2.7.12 - 12:08 am

65. Meredith Sledge -

THIS WAS AMAZING. Honestly, thank you so much!!!!!!!!

2.7.12 - 1:05 am

66. Gaby Fuentes Photography -

Love it. I love how you were not prepared, but using a tripod lol. Never mind about the sound, when the content is great who cares about production values besides is fine … πŸ™‚

2.7.12 - 1:20 am

67. kathleen frank -

L-oooooved seeing this! And your friend is so freakin’ gorgeous. Died over the portraits you posted a few days ago. I don’t use the word fierce often, cause, honestly, I cannot pull it off! But she is fierce! Hope to see you at WPPI in a few weeks, and I know I will see you at the fix Miami!!!

2.7.12 - 1:21 am

68. Amber -

Awesome tips! Thank you so much for sharing! πŸ™‚

2.7.12 - 1:52 am

69. Jessica Sweeney -

Thanks so much for this! Posing, I’ve always felt, is my achilles heel. This gives me just a little more to add to my arsenal.

2.7.12 - 2:27 am

70. Brooke Schultz -

SO wonderful. Thank you so much for posting this. F’real, the story idea is divine revelation.

2.7.12 - 2:42 am

71. Bobbie Brown -

Ohhhhh! My faaavorite Shooting Star video yet! Awesome! Loved it! Thank you thank you thank you!!! Oh, and in your post where you wrote "I’ll talk trash about yo mama." totally cracked me up! haha!

2.7.12 - 2:57 am

72. Erin Faye -

This video was awesome. Thanks so much!

2.7.12 - 3:14 am

73. April -

This video was very helpful, thank you for posting it. I would love to see more how to videos in the future.

2.7.12 - 3:54 am

74. Claire -

Thank you so much for posting this! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and I think your work is absolutely amazing! I’m going to be shooting a senior portrait session for one of my friends so these tips were incredibly helpful!

2.7.12 - 4:03 am

75. Karen -

You’re amazing. Thank you for sharing. =]

2.7.12 - 4:18 am

76. Ashley Goodwin -

this is aweeesommeee! I have been DYING to get some real people instead of palm trees back in front of my camera but my fear of being rusty at directing has stopped me from asking strangers, and since I’m still working on the "friends in hawaii" deal, this was a great push to get me going. LOVEYA! (& Mel looks HOT!)

2.7.12 - 4:24 am

77. Becky -

Thank you so much! I’ve really been trying to figure out the photographer-client interaction, and it was really helpful to get to see you in action.

2.7.12 - 4:53 am

78. Lisa P. -

Another great Shooting Star episode as usual. Thanks for sharing such helpful tips.

2.7.12 - 5:00 am

79. Belinda -

I *LOVED* having a video of you interacting with a client! It’s significantly helpful to see how you interact with your clients. I honestly really hope that there are more posing videos! I love hearing the psychology of how/where you pose your clients and the way you help them feel comfortable. THANK YOU!

2.7.12 - 5:44 am

80. Park Plaza Wedding -

Thanks so much for the amazing advice. Always an inspiration to us!

2.7.12 - 7:15 am

81. Girish -

Super. Very helpful. And I do not need my money back πŸ˜‰

Hey I did my first wedding some days back and I was messy arranging the times or matching the time. It’s a Indian weddings so detailed are too much. Could you / do yo have a link to managing time schedules.

Thanks in advance.

2.7.12 - 7:31 am

82. Vancouver wedding photographer -

Great posing tips here! Really love the video!

2.7.12 - 8:11 am

83. Tanya Gomez -

Awesome, love you J*!

2.7.12 - 8:36 am

84. Wedding Photography Melbourne -

Very useful, thanks Jasmine.

2.7.12 - 9:26 am

85. Elizabeth -

wow what a great model she is really photogenic and beautiful. Jasmine you make it look so easy….I just did a photoshoot with my husband and out out 53 shots I really fell in love with like 15 pictures and to me that is WINNING…. πŸ™‚

2.7.12 - 9:57 am

86. Esquissewei -

Ahhh lala Jasmine GREAT as always. Your energy is just fantastic, it makes people feel so comfortable πŸ™‚

2.7.12 - 10:52 am

87. DenisePrichett -

I always love the Shooting Stars, but this one was so great with the behind-the-scenes video. Thanks for the great teaching!!!!

2.7.12 - 1:30 pm

88. MelissaFoscardo -

LOVE this! I’m the one person you helped this week πŸ™‚ These behind-the-scenes, esp. with video/audio, are incredibly helpful!!

2.7.12 - 2:02 pm

89. jaine {brklynview} -

thanks jasmine! super helpful. so excited to meet you at the fix in NYC!

2.7.12 - 3:18 pm

90. Robyn -

I think the sound was great! Thanks for your video, Jasmine. Hope you’re having a great week!

2.7.12 - 5:49 pm

91. Adriana Morett -

I LOVE it!! And I specially love that you told those "critics" that you would give them their spent money back if thet didn’t like it, it’s like you shut them up with a smile on your face! love it! You’re the best!! xoxo

2.7.12 - 6:48 pm

92. Stella -

thank you for this. i am always worried that i talk too much or not enough. the idea of giving the client a story is fab. i can’t wait to try it out at my next session.

2.7.12 - 8:34 pm

93. P -

Very helpful! Love the images you got from this shoot and thank you so much for your generosity.

2.7.12 - 8:55 pm

94. Brianna K -

Thanks for this!! Love behind-the-scenes footage!

2.7.12 - 11:09 pm

95. aliw -

Love! Wireless mic not required – it’s helpful and lovely. Loved seeing the finished shots in there too.

2.7.12 - 11:11 pm

96. denise karis -

hahaha SNAP! That was some Saas! I will refund you what you paid to watch this video. I can’t imagine anyone doesn’t love everything you do! Great video! πŸ™‚

2.7.12 - 11:16 pm

97. Abby Grace -

Jasmine I freaking love you. I love that you share videos like this and I love your sass. Sasha Fierce, anyone?

2.8.12 - 12:11 am

98. Lauryn -

I always feel stumped at the beginning of a shoot on how to get the subject more comfortable, this definitely helped! Thank you so much! You make it look so dang easy I swear!

2.8.12 - 8:39 am

99. Rachel Tatem -

Thanks for the behind the scenes. It helps with understanding what you mean exactly. Like when you said story to start I was like… she is about to unload a huge narrative??? Am I supposed to give character sketches? But after seeing what you did I totally know what you mean. It is almost completely natural. Cause in your head you already know the story based on the look you are going for

2.8.12 - 3:29 pm

100. Jessica K. Sullivan -

This is one of the best posts ever! Great seeing your behind the scenes photo shoot:)

2.8.12 - 6:29 pm

101. Jared Rey - Dallas Wedding Photography -

The main thing I took away from this video was…DANG girl you have got some guns on you. Haha.

2.8.12 - 7:49 pm

102. April Kasowski -

Wow!! You read my mind! This video is exactly what I needed. I just finished reading EXPOSED this morning and loved the way you disected Posing – and this video makes it all come together for visual learners, such as myself. I really appreciate you!!!!!

2.9.12 - 3:40 am

103. Camille -

Good Heavens can you just have JD do that more often. I’m a hands-on, be in the moment kind of learner and that was just about as good as it could get through the internet. Thanks JD and Jasmine

2.9.12 - 4:35 am

104. tina -

You’re amazing! Thanks for the tutorial!

2.9.12 - 8:00 am

105. Andrea Paris -

This is awesome! Seeing you work in video and actually hearing how you talk your model/friend through the shoot is soooooo helpful. Thanks J*, you’re the best.

2.9.12 - 7:33 pm

106. Neda Lahrodi-Blake -

JD has done a great job with the video! great tips Jasmine you rock and super helpful p.s how do I get your physic by sitting on the couch
    ; )

2.9.12 - 8:28 pm

107. Aberdeen Wedding Photographer Rubislaw Studio -

Always great to see how another photographer handles people.
    Thanks for sharing.

2.9.12 - 8:31 pm

108. Rudi -

Don’t worry about the sound! It’s ok! Thanks for the tips!

2.10.12 - 7:59 am

109. cassandra-m -

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhh….fab fab FAbULOuS, i loved watching you in action again. Awesome! And PS…great video skills JD!

2.11.12 - 6:01 am

110. Christopher Lloyd -

This takes me back to my makeover photography days. We use to shoot against a wall similar to that. It gives the model something to work off and people are always more confident when they know nothing is going on behind them.. Nice video πŸ˜‰

2.11.12 - 10:26 am

111. Jose Chiyah -

I love it, thanks you

2.11.12 - 11:17 am

112. Rebecca Douglas -

What a super behind the scenes, I love the impromptu nature of the short, it is as natural as a shoot is intended – thanks so much x

2.11.12 - 10:24 pm

113. Sam Allen -

You definitely helped more than one person! Favorite point was asking her to slow down while moving her arm up and down. I am always afraid to ask them to do something slightly different just after giving them the first direction. THANK YOU!

2.12.12 - 3:30 pm

114. Addie -

I loved this one… thanks!

2.12.12 - 7:13 pm

115. Stacey McCarthy -

Definitely more ‘Fab’ than ‘ghetto’!!! Thank you again for sharing some of you and how you work. Would love to see some more shots from the session, the ones you showed were gorgeous!

2.14.12 - 9:09 am

116. Sonal -

Thanks for sharing this! It’s nice to see a little behind-the-scenes action. This was the first shooting star video I’ve seen so I checked out your youtube channel. If you scroll down it’s like a flip book of your hand poses! =D

2.17.12 - 8:52 pm

117. Larrah -

Thank you so much Jasmine!! You are an inspiration!

3.3.12 - 2:17 pm

118. Vicki -

Would love to see more videos of you shooting like this. I liked the no fluff of it. Straight to the point. Thanks J* and JD.

3.4.12 - 8:09 pm

119. Alyssa -

This was so incredibly helpful! Jasmine, you are SO AMAZING! Thank you for always trying to help people!

3.9.12 - 4:17 pm

120. Kasey -

One thing I continue to struggle with is talking through poses and coming up with ideas. Thank you so much for this post. It has given me ideas to work with and the understanding that it’s okay to say, "okay do this, wait a little less, now do this." Thank you!

7.28.12 - 6:33 pm

121. angela hubbard -

you rock my friend!!

12.12.13 - 6:47 pm

122. Janie Barclay -

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

2.18.14 - 4:34 pm

123. Alina Thomas -

So inspiring.. as always! Thanks, Jasmine.

8.1.14 - 12:59 am

124. Dina Ferreira Stoddard (Klutch Photography) -

Jasmine, you really are a wonderful teacher! Thanks for all you helpful tips.

2.3.15 - 2:26 am

125. Tatyana -

Thanks so much for sharing!

2.16.15 - 9:59 pm

126. Erin -

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! Thanks so much for sharing what your shoots look like ‘behind the scenes.’

7.6.15 - 4:07 am