Shooting Star : Running a Business with a Partner

Last night I got home from a shoot and I was tired and overly sensitive…traffic did that to me. See what I did there? I shifted culpability from myself to some nebulous thing like traffic so I could act out and cry over a sleeping bag I bought close to three months ago. Yeah, I cried. Over a sleeping bag. And then I blamed myself for adding too much lime to my Vietnamese soup at dinner and I ruined everything. Speaking of purses, did I ever apologize for exchanging that handbag you gave me in college?!

Can you hand me a tissue?

I really have no idea how I’m able to do life with someone whose patience never ends…and perpetually walks around with a box of tissues. I couldn’t ask for a better partner and though JD would like to exchange me like a handbag at least one a week, I’m thankful to have him by my side.

This installment of Shooting Star focuses on building a business with a partner and the differing dynamics that come into play. Here I offer four tips on how I’ve learned to work with another person and I hope they help a bit if you’re in a similar place in your business…

Like always, these video FAQs are meant to help just one person…if you have ideas for future installments or questions you’d like for me to answer, I’m all ears and eager to hear your ideas!

Happy Tuesday!

1. Tami Inoue

April 3rd, 2012 at 3:46 pm

This was great…even though I don’t have a partner, I do work with second shooters…and it also makes me appreciate the freedom that comes with not having a partner, even though I think it would be so great at times! BTW, you always have the funnest clothes and jewelry!

2. Kristin Byrum

April 3rd, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thanks so very much Jasmine! Love your dress too!

3. Leah D.

April 3rd, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I enjoy all of your shooting star videos. They’re always so helpful and honest. Love that you’re not only talented but you’re also gracious (especially to newbies like myself). My question for you comes from the comment you made in this video about outsourcing. Could you touch more on that in a future video? What do you typically outsource, who do you outsource to, etc? Thanks so much J*! YOU stay fabulous! 🙂

4. molly

April 3rd, 2012 at 3:49 pm

LOVE this tip – even though i don’t own my own business nor do i have a partnership – i think the basics of it can be applicable to ANYONE in ANY workplace – communication and respect go a LONG way!

5. Tiffany

April 3rd, 2012 at 3:56 pm

great installment! super cute shirt 😉

6. Carrie K

April 3rd, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Next FAQ idea: your personal review of the 5DMark III? Are you going to buy one? How is it different from the Mark II? etc…

7. Sarah

April 3rd, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hey Jasmine! I LOVE Shooting Star and have appreciated every video you post for this series! In the future, I think it’d be great to talk about destination weddings–especially how to price yourself when you get & inquiry and work out all of those logistics. I really enjoyed your video on packing for a destination wedding… now if only I knew how to get one! 😉 Thanks for being awesome!

8. Julie

April 3rd, 2012 at 5:45 pm

This was so helpful! Thanks!

9. ashley barnett

April 3rd, 2012 at 5:59 pm

This is awesome Jasmine! Jen and I have some of these things already on lock, but I love the idea of reviewing each others work! And this has inspired me to get us to do a video blog about how WE run our business – we get asked a lot how we handle things since we are not a husband and wife team, and if we can even give one person some insight it would be awesome! 🙂

10. Carlise

April 3rd, 2012 at 6:15 pm

This couldn’t have come at a better time, Jasmine! How do you have the awesome ability to know what is needed?? My business partner and I would like to add one other tip: Allow each other the freedom to be who you are in the creative sense!

11. Peter West Photo

April 3rd, 2012 at 6:21 pm

This is fabulous. Everybody who works in collaboration should view it….and take notes!

12. Ashley Ferreira

April 3rd, 2012 at 7:48 pm

my boyfriend is so incredibly supportive I don’t know what I would do without him. Sometimes he 2nd shoots with me but the real help comes in the form of the tissue box too. When days are too hard and I don’t know why I’m here. That power of feeling vulnerable. Thank God for the men in our lives 🙂

13. Christina Dely

April 3rd, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Love the timing of this 🙂 Mike & I were just having a discussion about our how to work best together.

14. Sydni Jackson

April 3rd, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Hey, I have a question – do you use manual focus or automatic? Can you give some reasoning behind your choice and explain a little bit? Thanks!

15. Mikaela

April 3rd, 2012 at 11:57 pm

you always seem to say the right thing at the right time… 🙂

16. Yuliya M.

April 4th, 2012 at 1:58 am

Thanks so much Jasmine, reminded me to be respectful to those around me, cause too often we take those people for granted. As far as a future question. You once said that all your brides want is to put their pictures on Facebook, do you think that’s true for all brides? I feel like sometimes I’m spending too much energy and time on meeting wants my clients might not have, like DVDs ;). Thanks as always!

17. Danielle Honea

April 4th, 2012 at 2:25 am

Are you SURE you were home schooled? Those were alotta big words 🙂 Great video!! So okay this may seem silly-but you asked for topics! I see VLOGing being a next "big thing" for photogs. Currently doing Tim Kings 30 day challenge… Would you someday talk about what the advantage have been by doing these videos? (Shooting Stars) What advantage for 1. You 2. Your business 3. And maybe something silly-like how you prep for a video day? Do you plan out what you say, & do you or can you stick to it? 🙂 Either way-love them!! Keep up the awesome work and flawless takes.

18. denise karis

April 4th, 2012 at 2:48 am

great topic!! Really helpful and totally makes sense about constructive feedback with respect 🙂

19. cassandra-m

April 4th, 2012 at 4:47 am

As always…awesome info. Thanks for sharing….

20. Milly Colley

April 5th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Hi Jasmine,
    I’ve got round to watching this and so glad I did. I’ve started shooting some weddings with a friend and we word really well together but you’re right it’s good to get roles clearly defined from the start.
    I really like your honest and fresh approach in your videos. I look forward to more.
    Milly x

21. rich

April 5th, 2012 at 8:07 pm

hi jasmine! just got around to watching this but it’s super helpful – thank you so much for this shooting star installment!

22. Adriana Morett

April 10th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thank you so much Jasmine, please don’t ever stop this blog!

23. Apple

September 23rd, 2012 at 8:41 am

You guys are my favorite twosome!!!!!<3

24. Evan & Melissa

August 29th, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Thank you!! So much clearly thought out wisdom! As another husband and wife team we are slowly learning how to work together and each and every one of these tips were encouraging and exciting. 🙂