Shooting Star : Staying In Control + Styled Shoots

Shooting Star : Staying In Control + Styled Shoots

Photography

Wellllll, hello there. And happy Monday! I hope you had a lovely Easter and are recovering from a chocolate comatose. Oh, that’s just me? You mean you didn’t sit in front of the Lakers game last night and make your way through eight pounds of mini Snickers stolen from your nieces and nephews baskets? Am I the only person who rationalizes the mini-sized candies as reduced calorie? Well, if one or all of the above scenarios occurred we can so be friends.

I’m starting this week jumping back into action with another installment of Shooting Star. If you can believe it, I decided to film this by myself after seeing my blooper reel a couple weeks ago…I wanted to make sure JD didn’t have another opportunity to garner new outtakes! Without him offering feedback behind the camera, however, I think I talked too much.

In this video, I’ll be discussing…
*If I’ve ever had a client try take over and/or control a shoot.
*Whether I blog each session before providing the digital negatives.
*How to organize/partake in styled bridal shoots.
*Three things that helped me move past being too nervous to build my online portfolio amongst my friends.

Like always, you can submit questions for future FAQs on Facebook!

Happy Friday!

comments

1. Tim King -

This is exactly what I needed right now. Styled shoots all over this next month – thanks for the insight Jazz!

4.25.11 - 3:43 pm

2. Elizabeth -

this helped me sooo much!!! thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!

4.25.11 - 3:50 pm

3. Alesya -

Excellent tips for any entrepreneur – not just photographers. Thank you! (Off to make some more mistakes.)

4.25.11 - 3:53 pm

4. Emily Burlingame -

I SOOO look forward to these! 🙂 Happy Monday!

4.25.11 - 3:55 pm

5. Sarah Danaher -

I really love your "Shooting Star" series. And this week was incredibly helpful. =) Thanks!

4.25.11 - 3:57 pm

6. LEOLAK -

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks that way about mini chocolates! We’d so be friends on that alone…woowhoo! =) Thanks for this…great start to the week. Question..do you ever not look fabulous? =)

4.25.11 - 4:03 pm

7. {leah} -

Fabulous advice, Jasmine!

4.25.11 - 4:07 pm

8. Emily Dobson -

Thank you SO MUCH! I called my husband at work and made him watch you answer my question – ha! Perfect response and very detailed…exactly what I wanted. Thank you thank you thank you!

4.25.11 - 4:07 pm

9. Dana Laymon -

always look forward to these videos! good reminder about practice- off to do it some more!

P.S. I’m launching my Showit site this week! eeeks!

4.25.11 - 4:10 pm

10. Aranda -

I loved this! I didn’t care that it was almost 8 minutes. I needed to hear every word! Thank you!

4.25.11 - 4:13 pm

11. sherri lynn -

this was so helpful – thank you! it is hard to just let go and be ok with making mistakes, but i have a hard time with that. thanks for the motivation!

4.25.11 - 4:20 pm

12. steph -

LOVE, LOVE your shirt/earrings! So fab!!! 🙂

4.25.11 - 4:22 pm

13. Robert -

Great stuff, thanks for the information!

4.25.11 - 4:34 pm

14. Michael Johnson -

Ha Ha, I totally ate an entire chocolate bunny while watching the Blackhawks game. I was so nervous I couldn’t stop!

4.25.11 - 4:45 pm

15. brianna -

I am pretty sure I was your first friend in front of your camera. The good thing was, I didn’t know enough about photography to know your pictures sucked. They seemed pretty awesome to me at the time! Who knew that big shadow across my face wasn’t ideal???

4.25.11 - 4:57 pm

16. Shannon Karczewski -

Thank you, Jasmine! I just knew when you said "Shannon, and I’m going to butcher this last name…" that it would be me. Don’t worry…you are SO not alone on that one 😉

4.25.11 - 4:58 pm

17. JoAnna Johnson -

As always this was super great, thanks for sharing you knowledge.

4.25.11 - 4:59 pm

18. dee -

its not friday boo! 🙂

4.25.11 - 5:00 pm

19. Maria -

I loved your three tips for overcoming your fears! And 800 hours is a lot of practice so I just gotta keep on keepin’ on! 🙂 Thanks for being you, Jazzy!

4.25.11 - 5:02 pm

20. Life with Kaishon -

800 hours!
    LOVE that!
    Hope you have a fabulous Monday. Love, Becky
    I have a question kind of…I shoot my friend all the time. And I just love it. LOVE it. Then I put their pictures somewhere to order. And they don’t want to order from there. And believe me when I tell you the prices are cheap! A 5×7 is like 5. Pictage charges me like 4.50 or something…so it is not like I am trying to make a killing.
    My friends all want to go to walmart or cvs or somewhere cheaper. How do I make them understand that printing will be better if they go with me. I am sure you have answered this before.

4.25.11 - 5:26 pm

21. Kathryn Denelle Stevens -

Jasmine, this post couldn’t be more apropos to me this very morning! Every topic had something that was exactly what I needed to hear.

4.25.11 - 5:33 pm

22. Marissa Rodriguez -

Love these posts! Thank you Jasmine!

4.25.11 - 5:36 pm

23. Erin Potter -

Another amazing Shooting Star! Again, thank you so much for all your amazing advice! Oh, and I also LOVE your outfit! 😀

4.25.11 - 5:45 pm

24. Patricia Lorenzo -

LOVE it Jasmine! Thanks for posting these shooting star videos. Keep them coming!! They’re a great way to learn from you (and fun!).
    🙂

4.25.11 - 6:19 pm

25. Kristin Shyla Cook -

I too ate myself into a well… lets just say it was hard to walk and breathe at the same time ;). So true about fearing failure and just stopping it. I am there now. everyday. letting go. It is an everyday battle. much love- kristin shyla.

4.25.11 - 6:19 pm

26. Susan -

This is completely random but seeing how bright it was when you shot the video just lifted my mood. Seattle is completely dreary for the next few days and it’s killing me 😉 Thanks so much! teehee. x+o

4.25.11 - 6:21 pm

27. Kathleen Frank -

Cannot wait to watch this! I love the shooting stars 🙂 If only I could figure out a way to watch it at work…

4.25.11 - 6:41 pm

28. Annetta -

Thank you Jasmine.

4.25.11 - 6:44 pm

29. Melissa Gregersen -

Great job! =) I really enjoyed this segment not just because I enjoy listening to you….but my four year old was sitting with me watching too, and all the sudden she was moving her hand all over and trying to "copy" your hand gestures! She said "mommy she’s dancing with her hands!" So cute….both of you!! =)

4.25.11 - 7:27 pm

30. Tim King -

PS – a little bit of a MinnesOHta accent in this video? 🙂

4.25.11 - 7:30 pm

31. Jessica Chavez -

love.love.love ALL your shooting* & the FAQs posts!! Thanks so much for the info! While watching this installment I came up with a question… When you were starting out doing styled shoots, did you pay for the elements in the shoot? Or was it like a win-win participation? Kinda like a sponsor from the vendors?? Thanks!!

4.25.11 - 7:57 pm

32. Columbus GA Wedding Photographer -

These are always packed full of great stuff. Keep them coming!

4.25.11 - 7:59 pm

33. amanda thiessen -

love these so much!!!

4.25.11 - 8:16 pm

34. s h e r r y -

Thanks for sharing, Jasmine!! 🙂

4.25.11 - 9:02 pm

35. ~Kristina Cowan~ -

I’m very new to watching your blog… My little sister actually showed me your blog before you did creative Live this last time, and she said "This girl is AMAZING, and you muct watch this creative Live thing!" So I did and learned SO much and I love this advice here as well! So, Thank you!

4.25.11 - 10:48 pm

36. Leah -

Ok. I want to say THANK YOU. It seems so inadequate for everything you’ve done. Your motivation and inspiring words have helped me so much. I think about the "it’s better to fail at something you love then to succeed at something you hate" saying alot. So thanks. As hard as it is to portray my gratitude I wanted to at least say THANK YOU :o)

4.26.11 - 12:42 am

37. Autumn Teesdale -

Your 3 tips spoke so much to me! Im at that point now where fear is holding me back more than anything…"If you jump, the net will appear"…heard that from some awesome person once 🙂

4.26.11 - 12:52 am

38. Amber Fox -

These shooting star videos are AWESOME! You are seriously such a good teacher and an inspiration to so many of us. Thanks for sharing girl!

4.26.11 - 1:38 am

39. Kayla Brown -

Wow Jasmine! Thanks! You are a great inspiration and so down to earth! I am just starting out and and excited to learn new things from you.

4.26.11 - 2:56 am

40. Nicole Glazier -

Jasmine you always say things that make me just go ‘duh! why didn’t I think of that?!’ My wedding photog partner and I are shooting our first wedding together in two weeks and we’ve been all up in J* for weeks now soaking in all the awesome info. I don’t think you realize what an amazing AMAZING help you are to us!!

4.26.11 - 3:51 am

41. Leah G. -

Thanks so much for posting these videos! They are such a help and very encouraging to the rest of us struggling photographers. I love that you’re willing to share your knowledge with us! Thanks again! 🙂

4.26.11 - 4:54 am

42. Agi - Photoartology -

How do you always know what to say to us, emerging photographers?! Thanks for being awesome and share your thoughts! x

4.26.11 - 5:36 am

43. Ashley Goodwin -

Great post! I am loving your outfit! Whereeeee is that shirt from? I NEED IT!

4.26.11 - 7:43 am

44. Ashley Goodwin -

& I love (love love) that you "vlogged" about styled shoots! Candice keeps telling me how awesome they are and I had no idea how to pull them together, so thanks for the tips! 🙂

4.26.11 - 7:47 am

45. malia -

love the top & earrings!

4.26.11 - 8:03 am

46. Catherine Mac -

Jasmine I loved this one THANK YOU! I especially loves hearing your perspective on the experience the clients have viewing their wedding photographs for the first time. You’re a ROCKSTAR! Looking forward to next weeks video!

4.26.11 - 9:44 am

47. Cameron and Tracy -

Another great post J*! Really gets our morning going. Thanks.

4.26.11 - 5:42 pm

48. Jennifer -

I. Love. That. Shirt!!! I have learned a lot about keeping control over the last year. It’s tough when you are soft spoken, but a def must to keep the day flowing and meet expectations. 🙂

4.26.11 - 5:51 pm

49. Whitney (Utah Photographer) -

This is wonderful. I’ve been giving them the whole gallery first, then blogging later. But I think you’re completely right, love the advice.

4.26.11 - 8:26 pm

50. Ela -

Great advice!!! Love the idea of telling the story in 3rd person about the couple on the site as opposed to just giving the couples a disk. Yay!

4.27.11 - 1:47 am

51. Andria L. -

Thanks so much for continuously sharing your hard earned insight! There’s a book you may like (speaks on 10,000 hours of practice…) called: Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell.

4.27.11 - 2:17 am

52. Lisa A -

You are so inspirational ! I could listen to you talk forever about photography, seriously I could! Learned so much from this video!

4.28.11 - 5:17 pm

53. Deborah -

Thank you SO much for this. You have inspired me to host/coordinate a styled shoot. I live in a small town of "rednecks" of 20,000 ppl and this would be an AWESOME thing to achieve. Its never been done here and it would certainly bring me out of the "crowd" and be different and seen. I’m going to run with this idea, Thank you thank you thank you!!

4.28.11 - 9:28 pm

54. courtney jade -

Hey pretty girl! You are so amazing. I love these segments, thank you for always sharing your brain with us all 🙂

What is a plus-site?

4.29.11 - 4:50 pm

55. Robert Meredith -

Good comments Jasmine. I have just recently moved out to Sydney, Australia from the UK and having to start my business fresh here. Having not had a client paying job for a few months I am starting to doubt my ability to even take good photographs of friends so it was good to hear your answer the the last question. Don’t be scared of making mistakes!! x

5.12.11 - 10:30 am

56. Jasmin Ferris -

You truly are an inspiration. I really needed to hear this right now. I so need to get over those 3 things so that I can go ahead with my passion and dream. You rock! Thank you xx

6.17.11 - 1:22 pm

57. Xiomara -

Jasmin, I keep going back through your posts and thinking you wrote them just for me. (seriously, I know you did! 😉
    Thank you SO MUCH for being transparent and being such an amazing inspiration!

12.16.11 - 5:12 pm

58. Kasey -

I just ran into this at last weekend’s wedding, and you were right on the money. It was during the portraits and family formals. Thank you for helping me regain confidence in myself and to remember to maintain that confidence during the day.

7.28.12 - 7:12 pm