Shooting Star : Wedding Ceremony + Contract

Photography

Okay, so how should I write it, I ask him last night while crawling into bed. He’s sitting at the edge of the bed strumming the guitar humming a Beatles song. Hey, John Lennon, I say. I use my toe to poke him from his 1960s revelry. JD glances up and I ask how I should write today’s blog post. He proffers a few suggestions and I scoff. Jasmine, why do you always ask for my ideas when you know you’ll never use them? I blink a few slow blinks. It’s then when I realize though I don’t use his ideas too often, they’re what push me–ultimately–where I want to be. I tell him this. He continues strumming and smiles. The answer makes him happy.

Speaking of happy, boy, oh boy, did y’all tickle me pink yesterday. Here’s a great big ‘ole THANK YOU for the shout outs on the 1,000 Pennies Contest! You made my day and I’m blown away by the support. No, really, I am. Gracias. Sometimes I speak spanish when I have no words to convey how I feel. The three random winners are:
Meg
Brooke of Brooklyn V Photography
Leslie of Leslie Brown Photography

In more random news, I tragically accessorized an outfit and it’s too late to take it all back because I shot an installment of Shooting Star…so now my transgression will live on. For everyone to see. But, really, what was I thinking wearing that belt?!?!

In this video, I’ll be discussing…
*How I conduct prospective wedding client meetings.
*My approach to photographing the wedding ceremony.
*Amending a wedding contract to reflect client requests.
*I also said “ideally” 47 times. And I annoyed myself.

Like always, you can submit questions for future FAQs on Facebook!

comments

1. Brent Deitrich

February 15th, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Just one question .. what does it mean to segway into something?? LOL I have visions of police on segway scooters running into people! Love ya!

2. jeramy

February 15th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

good tips lady! fabu.

3. Renee Booe

February 15th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Great post girl. Thanks so much for the great information.

4. Michael

February 15th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Long time blogstalker, first time commenting. Love the Shooting Star segments. What is bringing me out of the woodwork is actually 2 things – 1) Hopefully I’m the first to comment : ) 2) It wasn’t ‘ideally’ that came out at me, but ‘Parlay’. Everytime you say it I can’t help but think Pirates of the Carribean. : )

5. B

February 15th, 2011 at 4:40 pm

If it’s too tacky to be yours, it’s probably mine. Which, in this case, it is. The. Belt. Is. Mine. You’re welcome.

6. veronica

February 15th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Thanks! that was soo intesting!..as always! 🙂

7. Jodie Lemke

February 15th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Thank you so much for these videos Jasmine. I really really am blessed to have a mentor that is so wonderfully open and interested in helping others succeed. Thank you Thank you Thank you 🙂

8. Nancy

February 15th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

WhatEV!! That belt is totally cute. Thanks for the video as always!

9. Isaac Stott

February 15th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Extremely helpful, as always!

10. Jenna Danelle

February 15th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Always super great info, and I didn’t find anything annoyingly repetitive. The shooting star segments have quickly become my favs, we LOVE em’ don’t be so hard on yourself, you do great!!! P.S. Keep accessorizing! 😉 lol.

11. Sarah Kamolz

February 15th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Thank you so much! I love your shooting star episodes! They help so much!

12. Lindsay Madden

February 15th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Great post 🙂 Thank you again for inspiring my Chit Chat video series!! <3

13. Two Ring Studios

February 15th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Great video. Enjoyed the part about amending contracts. Thanks for the info!

14. Laura Stricklin

February 15th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Great post! It’s funny really. My JD just told me last night, "why do you ask for his ideas. I never use them." Seriously!!! I immediately sent the link of today’s blog to him via email and reassured him that you had a great response in which also describes my feelings perfectly. So, just know some aspects of your blog helps in other situations! 😛

15. Sabrina Nicole

February 15th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Great advice as always Jasmine. And don’t be so hard on yourself, I didn’t even notice the belt by the second question 😉

16. Emily Schumann

February 15th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Awesome episode! I really like these videos and how straight-forward you are explaining your business strategies with weddings.

You just need to explain in your next episode how to get buff arms like yours 😉

17. Sandy Howard

February 15th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Great job with this video post Jasmine. I’ve always wondered about reacting to the situation of clients not wanting their images posted online. Appreciate the tips greatly!

18. Jennifer Sosa

February 15th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for always giving out great info. Btw you look fabulous! 🙂

19. Stephanie Stewart

February 15th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Great episode of Shooting Star! Always helpful! And I love your belt!

20. Kristin

February 15th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I look forward to these installments so much, thanks for being so open to sharing your business practices!

21. Catie Ronquillo

February 15th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Gotta love You Tube and the thumbnail that gets used! 🙂 I’m imagining some judo-chopping about to happen. This video was super helpful and I didn’t even notice you saying "ideally" all that much. I think you may have to do a Shooting Star just about your wall – is that you office? If so, it’s gorge! Total inspiration wall 🙂

22. James

February 15th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Dearest Jasmine,

I am a slow listener…LOL you are machine gunning me with information.

we deepest love,
    James

23. tim king

February 15th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Great video – solid insights on the contract elements.

24. Kare

February 15th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Fabulous, as always!

25. Deanna McCollum

February 15th, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I am loving these Shooting Star segments. I am learning so much from you about business and photography. Thank you for taking time to do this.

26. Johanna B

February 15th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Thank you so much! Seriously helpful. These were totally questions I needed answered.

27. Thresha

February 15th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I love these posts! Thank you so, so much for sharing!!

28. naomi chokr

February 15th, 2011 at 6:22 pm

thank you thank you thank you! i learned something new again! I love the mental checklist of images you have to get during the ceremony. also i really need to keep this in my head.. "ideally photographers should not be seen"

29. LEOLAK

February 15th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Great advice! Thanks! @Brent Deitrich…I’m cracking up at your police on segways…lol (I’m going to laugh all day…thanks). I think in this case it means…transition.

30. Robert

February 15th, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Great information, thanks!

31. rebecca

February 15th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

i want to know where you got that dress! 🙂

32. Diana Lupu

February 15th, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I LOVED this installment! Found it so helpful and your belt was the perfect accessory. PS. My husband and I recently had the exact same convo you guys did last night. I will never stop asking for his input bc it pushes me to think differently. =)

33. Nadya

February 15th, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Jasmine, i have to say that i have used your tips on consults and i have boked 100% of the consults i have. Getting the couple to talk about their relationship and their big day is KEY! Then atthe end comes all the photography talk and by then we have connected so well that they decide to book on the spot! So thanks for all those tips 🙂

34. Wesley

February 15th, 2011 at 7:23 pm

So inspiring ! Since you’re all into new technology and stuff it’s really a shame that your video’s aren’t in HD quality. When using Youtube with non HD video you will also lose quite a bit of audio quality. And all of us would like to hear you voice in the best quality. 🙂 Like your belt 😉

35. Karin

February 15th, 2011 at 7:25 pm

To read your blog is really inspiring! I just bought my first Canon a few months ago, and I don’t think I am doing pretty well. I would like to practice more with other people, and wanted to email all my friends via facebook offering a photoshoot for free. It would be a great way for me to find new people to picture. What do you think?

36. Carrie K

February 15th, 2011 at 7:27 pm

When talking to your clients about their day, is it a safe thing to request a certain amount of lighting during the ceremony or at the reception so the photographer can get good detail shots. I feel like my ceremony shots are the weakest of a wedding day because the venues don’t support adequate lighting. Some weddings have turned all the lights off as the bride walks down the aisle! Ugh! Suggestions?

37. Jessica

February 15th, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Wonderful segment, I 2nd shot a wedding recently and the lead told me afterwards that I was taking too many shots (we were using flash) and to back off a bit. I hadn’t realized I was doing that and I will NEVER do it again knowing how distracting flash is. BTW I love the images you put on your wall since the last installment. The newspapers were nice but the photos are very "Jasmine". Great job as always.

38. Claudia

February 15th, 2011 at 7:40 pm

i so love ur shooting star videos! 🙂

39. Andie

February 15th, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Love this one! You mentioned that you send your clients tips for the engagement session. Can you elaborate on some of the advice you give them in a future FAQ post? Would love your insight!

40. steph!

February 15th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Wait. If you hate your outfit and I like it…what does this say about me?!

41. Adriana Morett

February 15th, 2011 at 8:09 pm

So, do you speak spanish? =) Gracias a ti por este blog tan fabuloso!! 😉 besos desde Madrid!

42. Lyndsay London

February 15th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Ahhh such good information – I found the discussion on the model release so helpful! For serious!!! I’ve had major struggle with how to mange this request to remove the release on a few occasions and being soooo early in my business I NEED to build the portfolio. I heart J*!

43. Jillian

February 15th, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Love your blog!!! Your Shooting Star posts have helped me SO much!!! Someday I hope to be as talented as you are! Hoping to attend your workshop in the near future!!!

44. Jenny Sun

February 15th, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I second what one of your other readers said – love your outfit!! Please tell us where you bought your beautiful top from? 😀 😀 xx

45. Katelyn James

February 15th, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Hey… the dress is cute enough… it totally overshadows the belt! I’m pretty sure you could wear a trashbag and make it look good… no worries:)

46. Kristen @ {K Leigh Ford}

February 15th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Jasmine, I love this Shooting Star! It’s answered a few questions I’ve had business-wise! Thank you!

47. David Glazebrook

February 15th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

In typical J * style ….. rapid fire, vivacious, vibrant and informative …. thanks

48. Lori Calhoun

February 15th, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Just wanted to let you know, that I love the belt!!!

49. Susan Jennings

February 15th, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I love these shooting star posts!
    Keep them coming please!!!

50. Amy Arrington

February 15th, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Thank you as always!

51. Lauren

February 15th, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Amazing Love You!

52. shannon

February 15th, 2011 at 11:33 pm

you’re hilarious. your outfits are always fab. but i fully will do the same thing, and look back on an outfit from the previous week…and cringe and want to crawl back into my closet and throw it AWAY! haha. anyway, oh hey the artichoke votives are a gggreat addition to your back drop. as always…great job 🙂

53. Yuliya

February 15th, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I don’t want to sound repetitive, but I do feel like I leave you the same comments all the time, consisting of thank you, thank you, and thank you again. Well as my friend would say, at least I’m consistent. So a big thank you for your help again. I looooove your video posts! 😉

54. Kristin Nicole

February 15th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Thanks for all your help…can’t wait for creative live.

55. Eileen

February 16th, 2011 at 12:37 am

OMG.. This is perfect timing. I have my first client meeting tomorrow. I have never shot a wedding but my biz partner has, but he seems to do things on the fly, which makes me totally nervous. I am going to be second shooter, but gaaaaaaaa I am so nervous. And he hasn’t followed through on all the stuff we were supposed to do.
    Thank you thank you thank you! I love you!!!!!

56. Shilpy

February 16th, 2011 at 1:00 am

Ur an inspiration! I do have a question for JD, as a second shooter …since im such an amateur, whats his take on being one?

57. Life with Kaishon

February 16th, 2011 at 2:03 am

Really great lesson. I always feel like I just went to Jasmine school when I am done watching!

58. Bobbie Brown

February 16th, 2011 at 3:09 am

Another fabulous video… thank you!

59. Matthew Saville

February 16th, 2011 at 3:25 am

This is going to sound like a snide remark at first, but I LOVE how you go a million miles an hour in these videos. Seriously, I like getting my information that fast, I wish other photographers would go that fast when trying to explain something.

On the subject of privacy requests, I will say one thing: While I totally agree that it’s really important to publish your clients images regularly, I don’t have a hard-and-fast rule that says "no!" when a client requests extra privacy. Once or twice a year, I’ll allow a client to retain full privacy. I feel if I’ve got 20-30 weddings to shoot total, business won’t go down the tubes if I only blog 19 or 28 weddings per year. Heck, I slacked off in 2010, period! But anyways my point is, I’m more than willing to comply with such a request, once or twice. But that’s all I can afford, and clients totally understand that. (And I’ve never had MORE than two clients request privacy in one year…)

=Matt=

60. MegganB

February 16th, 2011 at 5:05 am

You are IDEALLY the BEST and I totally ADORE you and these shooting star segments – they are sooooooo tremendously insightful and helpful and I always look forward to them and learn something new – thanks so much!!

61. joan solitario

February 16th, 2011 at 5:32 am

i enjoy these videos of you! thanks for always being helpful!!

62. Molly Kate

February 16th, 2011 at 5:36 am

Great advice! I saw another person ask about what you tell clients before a session and I remembered your interview at Grey Likes Weddings. There were some great tips in that post so thought I would link to it here… http://www.greylikesweddings.com/3-resources/photography-resources/editors-notes/editors-notes-ed-04/

63. Molly Kate

February 16th, 2011 at 5:36 am

64. Kirsten

February 16th, 2011 at 8:34 am

Thank you Jasmine…. a really great lesson I love your posts 🙂 x

65. Sarah Tunstall

February 16th, 2011 at 8:42 am

These segments are WONDERFUL! You explain things so well, and I’m glad i stumbled upon your blog! WIN!

66. Christina Brosnan

February 16th, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Thanks Jasmine! Can always learn so much from you!

67. Lauri

February 16th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Yay! Thank you for answering my question, I really appreciate it! Love that you do these, they are so helpful. 🙂 And I too really like the belt! 😉

68. Brian Kraft

February 16th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Great- thanks for the tips. The first tip is something I’m working to get even better at.

February 16th, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I love your explanation for your model release in your contract! I’ve had clients change their mind one week before the wedding… You have a great way to make sure you and the couple are on the same page from the very beginning!

70. Hugo Tepe

February 16th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Mrs. Star, as far as you’ve come, do you shoot a wedding if the client doesn’t really know who you are? or what the J* experience is?

71. Amy W

February 17th, 2011 at 7:23 am

Hi J*,
    Just wondering if you only book weddings when you can do an engagement session with the couple too?

72. Nicole Glazier

February 17th, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Jasmine I just want to say THANK YOU for doing these video segments! My friend and I are moving into wedding photography and you have been a huge help to us!!

73. Bethaney Martin

February 17th, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Jasmine- I’ve loved all the vidos I’ve watched so far. The only critique I have is stop apologizing for talking so much at the end of them 🙂 We’re hear to listen to you talk and you do it so well!

74. natalie

February 18th, 2011 at 12:56 am

Looove this shooting star video!
    Some really great info and I am looking forward to your creativelive event in April!

75. cassandra-m

February 18th, 2011 at 6:11 am

AWESOME!

76. Elise

February 18th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I struggle so much in the initial meeting with clients, thanks so much for the tips.

77. Joy Barker

February 19th, 2011 at 12:09 am

My husband says that EXACT same thing to me! Why do you always ask for my ideas when you know you’ll never use them… I didn’t have as good an answer as you did though 😉

78. Erica Velasco

February 19th, 2011 at 1:38 am

Love the consult info! would love more posts like that with more of client communication, selling or closing the deal as the say =)

79. Jessica Sweeney

February 19th, 2011 at 3:27 am

Incredibly helpful once again. I don’t know if you’ve ever shared it, but I would love to see some sort of version of the contract you use with your clients.

80. Dave Raley

February 19th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Keep up the videos – love the format and your tips are very helpful!

81. Sacha Blackburne

February 22nd, 2011 at 1:22 am

Hello – thanks as always for sharing your thoughts. I have actually meant to ask you about the sharing client images before as I have had clients who are either famous or just very high profile and therefore do not want their intimate personal moments made public. Would you really turn down a wedding of someone who was famous just because they wished not to have their images online? Some of my favourite weddings and portraits I have shot have only been seen by me and the client and I am gutted I can’t share them, but of course respect their wishes – just interested how important that is to you. Thanks!

82. Andrea

April 3rd, 2011 at 7:03 am

I have that top! I have a top that you own! 🙂 Anyway, this was a very helpful video because I just had my first client meeting the other day and I did most of what you said 🙂

83. diana

March 14th, 2013 at 3:24 am

You always continue to inspire! I watched this video for the third time right before my client meeting to get ready! And it went great! Thank you!