Shooting Star : Wedding Ceremony + Contract

Shooting Star : Wedding Ceremony + Contract

Photography

Okay, so how should I write it, I ask him last night while crawling into bed. He’s sitting at the edge of the bed strumming the guitar humming a Beatles song. Hey, John Lennon, I say. I use my toe to poke him from his 1960s revelry. JD glances up and I ask how I should write today’s blog post. He proffers a few suggestions and I scoff. Jasmine, why do you always ask for my ideas when you know you’ll never use them? I blink a few slow blinks. It’s then when I realize though I don’t use his ideas too often, they’re what push me–ultimately–where I want to be. I tell him this. He continues strumming and smiles. The answer makes him happy.

Speaking of happy, boy, oh boy, did y’all tickle me pink yesterday. Here’s a great big ‘ole THANK YOU for the shout outs on the 1,000 Pennies Contest! You made my day and I’m blown away by the support. No, really, I am. Gracias. Sometimes I speak spanish when I have no words to convey how I feel. The three random winners are:
Meg
Brooke of Brooklyn V Photography
Leslie of Leslie Brown Photography

In more random news, I tragically accessorized an outfit and it’s too late to take it all back because I shot an installment of Shooting Star…so now my transgression will live on. For everyone to see. But, really, what was I thinking wearing that belt?!?!

In this video, I’ll be discussing…
*How I conduct prospective wedding client meetings.
*My approach to photographing the wedding ceremony.
*Amending a wedding contract to reflect client requests.
*I also said “ideally” 47 times. And I annoyed myself.

Like always, you can submit questions for future FAQs on Facebook!

comments

1. Brent Deitrich -

Just one question .. what does it mean to segway into something?? LOL I have visions of police on segway scooters running into people! Love ya!

2.15.11 - 4:14 pm

2. jeramy -

good tips lady! fabu.

2.15.11 - 4:34 pm

3. Renee Booe -

Great post girl. Thanks so much for the great information.

2.15.11 - 4:37 pm

4. Michael -

Long time blogstalker, first time commenting. Love the Shooting Star segments. What is bringing me out of the woodwork is actually 2 things – 1) Hopefully I’m the first to comment : ) 2) It wasn’t ‘ideally’ that came out at me, but ‘Parlay’. Everytime you say it I can’t help but think Pirates of the Carribean. : )

2.15.11 - 4:38 pm

5. B -

If it’s too tacky to be yours, it’s probably mine. Which, in this case, it is. The. Belt. Is. Mine. You’re welcome.

2.15.11 - 4:40 pm

6. veronica -

Thanks! that was soo intesting!..as always! 🙂

2.15.11 - 4:44 pm

7. Jodie Lemke -

Thank you so much for these videos Jasmine. I really really am blessed to have a mentor that is so wonderfully open and interested in helping others succeed. Thank you Thank you Thank you 🙂

2.15.11 - 4:48 pm

8. Nancy -

WhatEV!! That belt is totally cute. Thanks for the video as always!

2.15.11 - 4:48 pm

9. Isaac Stott -

Extremely helpful, as always!

2.15.11 - 4:48 pm

10. Jenna Danelle -

Always super great info, and I didn’t find anything annoyingly repetitive. The shooting star segments have quickly become my favs, we LOVE em’ don’t be so hard on yourself, you do great!!! P.S. Keep accessorizing! 😉 lol.

2.15.11 - 4:51 pm

11. Sarah Kamolz -

Thank you so much! I love your shooting star episodes! They help so much!

2.15.11 - 4:53 pm

12. Lindsay Madden -

Great post 🙂 Thank you again for inspiring my Chit Chat video series!! <3

2.15.11 - 4:53 pm

13. Two Ring Studios -

Great video. Enjoyed the part about amending contracts. Thanks for the info!

2.15.11 - 4:56 pm

14. Laura Stricklin -

Great post! It’s funny really. My JD just told me last night, "why do you ask for his ideas. I never use them." Seriously!!! I immediately sent the link of today’s blog to him via email and reassured him that you had a great response in which also describes my feelings perfectly. So, just know some aspects of your blog helps in other situations! 😛

2.15.11 - 5:00 pm

15. Sabrina Nicole -

Great advice as always Jasmine. And don’t be so hard on yourself, I didn’t even notice the belt by the second question 😉

2.15.11 - 5:00 pm

16. Emily Schumann -

Awesome episode! I really like these videos and how straight-forward you are explaining your business strategies with weddings.

You just need to explain in your next episode how to get buff arms like yours 😉

2.15.11 - 5:02 pm

17. Sandy Howard -

Great job with this video post Jasmine. I’ve always wondered about reacting to the situation of clients not wanting their images posted online. Appreciate the tips greatly!

2.15.11 - 5:04 pm

18. Jennifer Sosa -

Thanks for always giving out great info. Btw you look fabulous! 🙂

2.15.11 - 5:08 pm

19. Stephanie Stewart -

Great episode of Shooting Star! Always helpful! And I love your belt!

2.15.11 - 5:20 pm

20. Kristin -

I look forward to these installments so much, thanks for being so open to sharing your business practices!

2.15.11 - 5:21 pm

21. Catie Ronquillo -

Gotta love You Tube and the thumbnail that gets used! 🙂 I’m imagining some judo-chopping about to happen. This video was super helpful and I didn’t even notice you saying "ideally" all that much. I think you may have to do a Shooting Star just about your wall – is that you office? If so, it’s gorge! Total inspiration wall 🙂

2.15.11 - 5:28 pm

22. James -

Dearest Jasmine,

I am a slow listener…LOL you are machine gunning me with information.

we deepest love,
    James

2.15.11 - 5:34 pm

23. tim king -

Great video – solid insights on the contract elements.

2.15.11 - 5:38 pm

24. Kare -

Fabulous, as always!

2.15.11 - 5:48 pm

25. Deanna McCollum -

I am loving these Shooting Star segments. I am learning so much from you about business and photography. Thank you for taking time to do this.

2.15.11 - 6:05 pm

26. Johanna B -

Thank you so much! Seriously helpful. These were totally questions I needed answered.

2.15.11 - 6:13 pm

27. Thresha -

I love these posts! Thank you so, so much for sharing!!

2.15.11 - 6:15 pm

28. naomi chokr -

thank you thank you thank you! i learned something new again! I love the mental checklist of images you have to get during the ceremony. also i really need to keep this in my head.. "ideally photographers should not be seen"

2.15.11 - 6:22 pm

29. LEOLAK -

Great advice! Thanks! @Brent Deitrich…I’m cracking up at your police on segways…lol (I’m going to laugh all day…thanks). I think in this case it means…transition.

2.15.11 - 6:25 pm

30. Robert -

Great information, thanks!

2.15.11 - 6:29 pm

31. rebecca -

i want to know where you got that dress! 🙂

2.15.11 - 6:59 pm

32. Diana Lupu -

I LOVED this installment! Found it so helpful and your belt was the perfect accessory. PS. My husband and I recently had the exact same convo you guys did last night. I will never stop asking for his input bc it pushes me to think differently. =)

2.15.11 - 7:00 pm

33. Nadya -

Jasmine, i have to say that i have used your tips on consults and i have boked 100% of the consults i have. Getting the couple to talk about their relationship and their big day is KEY! Then atthe end comes all the photography talk and by then we have connected so well that they decide to book on the spot! So thanks for all those tips 🙂

2.15.11 - 7:12 pm

34. Wesley -

So inspiring ! Since you’re all into new technology and stuff it’s really a shame that your video’s aren’t in HD quality. When using Youtube with non HD video you will also lose quite a bit of audio quality. And all of us would like to hear you voice in the best quality. 🙂 Like your belt 😉

2.15.11 - 7:23 pm

35. Karin -

To read your blog is really inspiring! I just bought my first Canon a few months ago, and I don’t think I am doing pretty well. I would like to practice more with other people, and wanted to email all my friends via facebook offering a photoshoot for free. It would be a great way for me to find new people to picture. What do you think?

2.15.11 - 7:25 pm

36. Carrie K -

When talking to your clients about their day, is it a safe thing to request a certain amount of lighting during the ceremony or at the reception so the photographer can get good detail shots. I feel like my ceremony shots are the weakest of a wedding day because the venues don’t support adequate lighting. Some weddings have turned all the lights off as the bride walks down the aisle! Ugh! Suggestions?

2.15.11 - 7:27 pm

37. Jessica -

Wonderful segment, I 2nd shot a wedding recently and the lead told me afterwards that I was taking too many shots (we were using flash) and to back off a bit. I hadn’t realized I was doing that and I will NEVER do it again knowing how distracting flash is. BTW I love the images you put on your wall since the last installment. The newspapers were nice but the photos are very "Jasmine". Great job as always.

2.15.11 - 7:37 pm

38. Claudia -

i so love ur shooting star videos! 🙂

2.15.11 - 7:40 pm

39. Andie -

Love this one! You mentioned that you send your clients tips for the engagement session. Can you elaborate on some of the advice you give them in a future FAQ post? Would love your insight!

2.15.11 - 7:44 pm

40. steph! -

Wait. If you hate your outfit and I like it…what does this say about me?!

2.15.11 - 7:50 pm

41. Adriana Morett -

So, do you speak spanish? =) Gracias a ti por este blog tan fabuloso!! 😉 besos desde Madrid!

2.15.11 - 8:09 pm

42. Lyndsay London -

Ahhh such good information – I found the discussion on the model release so helpful! For serious!!! I’ve had major struggle with how to mange this request to remove the release on a few occasions and being soooo early in my business I NEED to build the portfolio. I heart J*!

2.15.11 - 8:28 pm

43. Jillian -

Love your blog!!! Your Shooting Star posts have helped me SO much!!! Someday I hope to be as talented as you are! Hoping to attend your workshop in the near future!!!

2.15.11 - 8:37 pm

44. Jenny Sun -

I second what one of your other readers said – love your outfit!! Please tell us where you bought your beautiful top from? 😀 😀 xx

2.15.11 - 8:57 pm

45. Katelyn James -

Hey… the dress is cute enough… it totally overshadows the belt! I’m pretty sure you could wear a trashbag and make it look good… no worries:)

2.15.11 - 8:59 pm

46. Kristen @ {K Leigh Ford} -

Jasmine, I love this Shooting Star! It’s answered a few questions I’ve had business-wise! Thank you!

2.15.11 - 9:25 pm

47. David Glazebrook -

In typical J * style ….. rapid fire, vivacious, vibrant and informative …. thanks

2.15.11 - 9:34 pm

48. Lori Calhoun -

Just wanted to let you know, that I love the belt!!!

2.15.11 - 9:45 pm

49. Susan Jennings -

I love these shooting star posts!
    Keep them coming please!!!

2.15.11 - 10:48 pm

50. Amy Arrington -

Thank you as always!

2.15.11 - 11:12 pm

51. Lauren -

Amazing Love You!

2.15.11 - 11:13 pm

52. shannon -

you’re hilarious. your outfits are always fab. but i fully will do the same thing, and look back on an outfit from the previous week…and cringe and want to crawl back into my closet and throw it AWAY! haha. anyway, oh hey the artichoke votives are a gggreat addition to your back drop. as always…great job 🙂

2.15.11 - 11:33 pm

53. Yuliya -

I don’t want to sound repetitive, but I do feel like I leave you the same comments all the time, consisting of thank you, thank you, and thank you again. Well as my friend would say, at least I’m consistent. So a big thank you for your help again. I looooove your video posts! 😉

2.15.11 - 11:48 pm

54. Kristin Nicole -

Thanks for all your help…can’t wait for creative live.

2.15.11 - 11:54 pm

55. Eileen -

OMG.. This is perfect timing. I have my first client meeting tomorrow. I have never shot a wedding but my biz partner has, but he seems to do things on the fly, which makes me totally nervous. I am going to be second shooter, but gaaaaaaaa I am so nervous. And he hasn’t followed through on all the stuff we were supposed to do.
    Thank you thank you thank you! I love you!!!!!

2.16.11 - 12:37 am

56. Shilpy -

Ur an inspiration! I do have a question for JD, as a second shooter …since im such an amateur, whats his take on being one?

2.16.11 - 1:00 am

57. Life with Kaishon -

Really great lesson. I always feel like I just went to Jasmine school when I am done watching!

2.16.11 - 2:03 am

58. Bobbie Brown -

Another fabulous video… thank you!

2.16.11 - 3:09 am

59. Matthew Saville -

This is going to sound like a snide remark at first, but I LOVE how you go a million miles an hour in these videos. Seriously, I like getting my information that fast, I wish other photographers would go that fast when trying to explain something.

On the subject of privacy requests, I will say one thing: While I totally agree that it’s really important to publish your clients images regularly, I don’t have a hard-and-fast rule that says "no!" when a client requests extra privacy. Once or twice a year, I’ll allow a client to retain full privacy. I feel if I’ve got 20-30 weddings to shoot total, business won’t go down the tubes if I only blog 19 or 28 weddings per year. Heck, I slacked off in 2010, period! But anyways my point is, I’m more than willing to comply with such a request, once or twice. But that’s all I can afford, and clients totally understand that. (And I’ve never had MORE than two clients request privacy in one year…)

=Matt=

2.16.11 - 3:25 am

60. MegganB -

You are IDEALLY the BEST and I totally ADORE you and these shooting star segments – they are sooooooo tremendously insightful and helpful and I always look forward to them and learn something new – thanks so much!!

2.16.11 - 5:05 am

61. joan solitario -

i enjoy these videos of you! thanks for always being helpful!!

2.16.11 - 5:32 am

62. Molly Kate -

Great advice! I saw another person ask about what you tell clients before a session and I remembered your interview at Grey Likes Weddings. There were some great tips in that post so thought I would link to it here… http://www.greylikesweddings.com/3-resources/photography-resources/editors-notes/editors-notes-ed-04/

2.16.11 - 5:36 am

63. Molly Kate -

2.16.11 - 5:36 am

64. Kirsten -

Thank you Jasmine…. a really great lesson I love your posts 🙂 x

2.16.11 - 8:34 am

65. Sarah Tunstall -

These segments are WONDERFUL! You explain things so well, and I’m glad i stumbled upon your blog! WIN!

2.16.11 - 8:42 am

66. Christina Brosnan -

Thanks Jasmine! Can always learn so much from you!

2.16.11 - 12:44 pm

67. Lauri -

Yay! Thank you for answering my question, I really appreciate it! Love that you do these, they are so helpful. 🙂 And I too really like the belt! 😉

2.16.11 - 2:16 pm

68. Brian Kraft -

Great- thanks for the tips. The first tip is something I’m working to get even better at.

2.16.11 - 3:43 pm

69. Lydia -

I love your explanation for your model release in your contract! I’ve had clients change their mind one week before the wedding… You have a great way to make sure you and the couple are on the same page from the very beginning!

2.16.11 - 6:50 pm

70. Hugo Tepe -

Mrs. Star, as far as you’ve come, do you shoot a wedding if the client doesn’t really know who you are? or what the J* experience is?

2.16.11 - 7:35 pm

71. Amy W -

Hi J*,
    Just wondering if you only book weddings when you can do an engagement session with the couple too?

2.17.11 - 7:23 am

72. Nicole Glazier -

Jasmine I just want to say THANK YOU for doing these video segments! My friend and I are moving into wedding photography and you have been a huge help to us!!

2.17.11 - 6:21 pm

73. Bethaney Martin -

Jasmine- I’ve loved all the vidos I’ve watched so far. The only critique I have is stop apologizing for talking so much at the end of them 🙂 We’re hear to listen to you talk and you do it so well!

2.17.11 - 7:47 pm

74. natalie -

Looove this shooting star video!
    Some really great info and I am looking forward to your creativelive event in April!

2.18.11 - 12:56 am

75. cassandra-m -

AWESOME!

2.18.11 - 6:11 am

76. Elise -

I struggle so much in the initial meeting with clients, thanks so much for the tips.

2.18.11 - 5:43 pm

77. Joy Barker -

My husband says that EXACT same thing to me! Why do you always ask for my ideas when you know you’ll never use them… I didn’t have as good an answer as you did though 😉

2.19.11 - 12:09 am

78. Erica Velasco -

Love the consult info! would love more posts like that with more of client communication, selling or closing the deal as the say =)

2.19.11 - 1:38 am

79. Jessica Sweeney -

Incredibly helpful once again. I don’t know if you’ve ever shared it, but I would love to see some sort of version of the contract you use with your clients.

2.19.11 - 3:27 am

80. Dave Raley -

Keep up the videos – love the format and your tips are very helpful!

2.19.11 - 6:18 pm

81. Sacha Blackburne -

Hello – thanks as always for sharing your thoughts. I have actually meant to ask you about the sharing client images before as I have had clients who are either famous or just very high profile and therefore do not want their intimate personal moments made public. Would you really turn down a wedding of someone who was famous just because they wished not to have their images online? Some of my favourite weddings and portraits I have shot have only been seen by me and the client and I am gutted I can’t share them, but of course respect their wishes – just interested how important that is to you. Thanks!

2.22.11 - 1:22 am

82. Andrea -

I have that top! I have a top that you own! 🙂 Anyway, this was a very helpful video because I just had my first client meeting the other day and I did most of what you said 🙂

4.3.11 - 7:03 am

83. diana -

You always continue to inspire! I watched this video for the third time right before my client meeting to get ready! And it went great! Thank you!

3.14.13 - 3:24 am