St. Louis Shot Party

There’s no rational way to explain the urge. Or, as I like to refer to it, The Urge. We rolled into our St. Louis hotel suite at 1:30am last Wednesday and tried falling asleep. Don’t forget, I whispered to JD, I wanna see the Arch tomorrow. And there you have it: The Urge. I’m not a touristy person. In fact, anywhere you might spot Hawaiian shirts, fanny packs, and maps, I’m headed in the opposite direction. So of course it was odd I contracted a case of The Urge.

We woke the next morning and after calculating the time, expense, and drama involved, JD suggested chilling out instead. But what about my arch? My beloved arch?! The arch I never cared about until I planned on visiting St. Louis, but suddenly needed to see?! JD vacillated, but was convinced when I brought out the big guns: If I die tomorrow, I will have want to have known I saw the arch…it’s even on the Cingular commercial…it must be important!

So off to the arch we went. It was humid, there were bugs, but I finally saw my arch. Oh! And! The! Pictures! Yes, Internet, I busted out in full tourist mode and took pictures. Here’s JD with the My-wife-shoots-everything face…and me. Please don’t ask what I was doing. I have no idea. But I can’t help but think I look like I’m talking to an invisible friend. Let’s call her Gretchen. My invisible friend, Gretchen.

Much to JD’s chagrin, I asked a stranger to take our photo. Here’s the two things that make this photo epic:
1. JD’s eyes are closed. I’ll simply pretend he’s soaking in our happy moment together.
2. The top of the arch is cut off. Let’s just IMAGINE the arch is complete.

Later that night, I had the distinct pleasure of speaking at the St. Louis Shot Party, hosted by Kelly Manno. I had an absolutely ah-maz-zing time!! Meeting so many fabulous photographers just tickled me happy. The best part of the event is that Kelly decided to put it on all on her own. No organization, no formalities, no prior experience. She’d hosted events in the past, but decided to create a large-scale event and I have to commend her on a job well done!

So, my trip to St. Louis was fabulous, for more than one reason. Besides seeing the arch, JD and I ate at Pappy’s BBQ, had Ted Drewe’s concrete ice cream, played a penny slot at the Ameristar casino, and met one of the nicest groups. Ever. I hope to go back one day in the future!

Happy Tuesday!

1. Newport Wedding Photographer

August 24th, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Such a huge structure, very cool!

2. The real L.A. love story.

August 24th, 2010 at 7:11 pm

wow both pics are really cool. i love dynamic shots like that. and although i have never been to st. louis , i have family there and i heard the bbq is to die for!

3. Heather Corporan

August 24th, 2010 at 7:25 pm

LOL Love the two reasons why the pic is epic. You always crack me up! We must be the same kind of ‘funny’ lol

4. Morgan

August 24th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Did you go up in the Arch? That’s sort of completes the visit so I hope you did.

5. Pamela

August 24th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

did you the arch is as tall as it is wide? that’s your fun STL trivia for the day. you’re welcome.

and thank you for coming- you were so much fun! i can’t wait to tell my baby (after she’s born and older) that THE J* touched my belly.

6. Clary

August 24th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Ha!! Well for a tourist you did superb at hitting up the best eating spots in the Lou! BUT I’m still bummed you two didn’t go up elevator to the top of The Arch.

Thank you for entertaining Kelly’s dream and making it a reality by coming out to the Midwest. It was a treat!

7. Kristy D

August 24th, 2010 at 7:51 pm

You totally rocked the shot party; it was great meeting you!!! Those pictures, two words…Absolutely Hilarious!!!!

8. anda

August 24th, 2010 at 7:59 pm

i’m the same — HATE touristy things. but the arch leaves me in awe every time. one of my all time favorite photos is taken with b&w film on my old slr … the arch at sunset, reflecting crazy light all over the place. i heart st. louis.

9. Jennifer

August 24th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Jasmine, you crack me up! Thank you so much for coming down to the Lou and hanging with us! The shot party was a complete success because of your and Kelly! It was great to meet you and hear you speak. Come back soon!

10. MK Loeffler

August 24th, 2010 at 9:47 pm

come back to stl anytime!!

11. Alicea Hermeyer

August 24th, 2010 at 10:08 pm

You are the best!! 🙂 Thank you SO for coming!!

12. ErikaM

August 24th, 2010 at 10:11 pm

That last Arch picture is too good! I’m sitting here cracking up. I feel like I’ve been in the same shoes with my husband. 🙂

13. Jenny

August 24th, 2010 at 10:12 pm

The Shot Party was an unforgettable learning experience & by you being there made it so much fun!! Thank you for inspiring me to be a better photographer & taking the time out of your busy schedule by flying out to St Louis. Come back again soon Jasmine & JD!!! 🙂

14. MelissaFoscardo

August 24th, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I’m glad you got The Urge. I absolutely love touristy stuff…even made my stepson and husband do the cliche "holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa" on our visit to Italy! Hey, why not? To me, a good vacation is a mix of tourist trap crap and obscure "real" places to get a true feel of where I’m traveling. On another note, that screenshot of your presentation…please share so we all know why you’re such a chicken 🙂

15. cathy

August 24th, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Wow! I was just watching you on Chase live and you are already blogging… or did you post before the interview…? in any case you are a busy busy girl. You were awesome today and am looking forward to watch the rest of the course! So many things you said reminded me of me, especially the part you mentioned how hard it was for you to tell people that you were a photographer… I am still there!
    Thank you for the inspiration. Much appreciated! Sincerely, Cathy S

16. Stephanie

August 24th, 2010 at 10:50 pm

my little brother just moved to st. louis in april, and lives about 1 block away from the arch. not normally a touristy person, i now have an arch postcard hanging on my board at work, an arch coffee mug, and a magnet photo of my brother and mom at the top. which is my way of saying that sometimes these things just under your skin and become REALLY IMPORTANT. 😉

17. Ashley

August 24th, 2010 at 10:57 pm

We LU-HUVd having you! Glad you got a taste of our mid-wet 🙂

18. Ashley

August 24th, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Thank you for coming out to Stl! We love love loved you and Jd. 🙂 Love the new website AND good luck with the Creative Live event!!!!!! 🙂 xo

19. Corrine

August 24th, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Love how your rockin’ your cowboy boots in St. Louie! That’s great.

20. Shefali Lindsey

August 24th, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Thank you so much for coming to StL! For being born in the Lou, I think it is safe to say you saw more than I have. Loved the Arch part. xoxo.

21. Jennie Baer

August 24th, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I was THRILLED you came to the Shot Party. I can tell you I loved your presentation, and JD… Come ON! Could he be any sweeter??

22. Charity Craig

August 24th, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Ummm…Ted Drewes is Frozen Custard, not ice cream. 🙂 It’s ok. We still love you here in STL.

Glad you had a good time.

23. Frances

August 24th, 2010 at 11:34 pm

We were in St. Louis April of this year. I too had to see the Arch — wow, what a beautiful structure. It would have been a REALLY FABULOUS TRIP if the St. Louis Shot Party had been going on (and of course, I was attending) when we were there. Rats — one of these days the planets, stars, etc…. will all be lined up! Glad you had a great trip!

24. kathy

August 25th, 2010 at 12:03 am

We were just in St. Louis for the first time, just a few weeks ago. Our hotel looked at the arch and I happened to have a great view of a lightning storm. Set my camera up on a tripod and got a long-exposure of some great strikes (through the window). We ate at Pappy’s and Ted Drewes. Great minds think alike. I didn’t think I’d care to photograph the arch or even see it constantly but I couldn’t take my eyes off it. It changes constantly. Glad that you also had a chance to see something so magnificent. Next time, go inside and up. It is worth the wait. If you aren’t too claustrophobic.

25. Life with K

August 25th, 2010 at 12:54 am

You always make me smile.
    LOVE the pictures. Especially the one without the arch : ) And you are so dead on! I know that JD was closing his eyes and savoring the magic moment!

26. Annie

August 25th, 2010 at 1:16 am

I love reading the presentation in that last image – SO like me right now! One day I will make it to see you in person. 🙂

27. Cheryl McDonald

August 25th, 2010 at 2:13 am

Thanks again for making the Trek!

28. Jordan

August 25th, 2010 at 2:21 am

Funny thing…The Urge is the name of a very well known St. Louis rock band…so of course you got The Urge when you were here! Glad you enjoyed The Lou as we call it…next time you are here go to The Hill for some great eats.
    Love your blog and wish I had made it to the Shot Party! YOu rock!

29. sara mcdermott

August 25th, 2010 at 3:10 am

It was so fantastic meeting you at the shot party…it’s funny because when I was talking with you, you sounded exactly like I thought you would just from reading your blog…lol I know I am a dork, right?… that I finally got to meet you and that’s my one thing I got excited about…that I pictured your coice correctly??? lol…Take care and thanks for visiting us…oh and sorry if my new FB profile pic came across as borderline stalkerish…don’t hate 😉 I am trying to be cool by association or osmosis…or whatever it is 🙂

30. LEOLAK

August 25th, 2010 at 4:02 am

Ohhhh…you were close to Chicago..that’s almost close to meeting you! LOL Such a cute post….glad you had a good time! Love the slide in the presentation…I keep pushing myself too!! Thanks!

31. Michelle Lunn

August 25th, 2010 at 4:46 am

Come back any time!! And if I haven’t already said this enough….you were (and still are) AWESOME! I’m glad, despite the humidity and the bugs, you enjoyed yourself in the Lou!

32. s h e r r y

August 25th, 2010 at 5:43 am

🙂 The St. Louis arch! I lived in a town 2 hours outside of St. Louis when I was a kid. And we used to ride an elevator that took you to the top of the arch! It was pretty sweet! 🙂 Haven’t been there in ~14 years! Good to see photos of it though!

33. Sindy

August 25th, 2010 at 6:54 am

I think I laughed for 5 minutes straight after reading about why the photo was "epic".

34. Emily Dobson

August 25th, 2010 at 1:24 pm

PLEASE come back soon!! But not on a Wednesday…my husband is a pastor and Sundays and Wednesday are off limits! 😉 P.S. Didn’t you go UP IN the arch?!?!

35. Evie Perez

August 25th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I passed this when I went to see my husband in Fort Leonard Wood last year. Too bad I dis not get a picture!! Glad you two had fun and too bad the picture of the two of you did not come out the way you wanted, but it’s adorable 😉

36. Christy

August 25th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

It was WONDERFUL to have you here in St Louis and an extra FABULOUS bonus to get to meet you in person! Im glad you were able to witness the Arch (I know JD was happy to witness as well :)) and Ted Drews too! You are truly St Louis’ans now.

Thank You for sharing your expertise with us here in St Louis!
    Christy (Diversified Lab)

37. Dawn Camp

August 26th, 2010 at 6:01 am

I can totally relate to the early blog post you related on the Creative Live broadcast and that’s pictured in the bottom photo. Thank you for being so real. I’m looking forward to the rest of the week!

38. IPBrian

August 26th, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Missed you in St Louis…but I have been rocking out with you via creativeLive! I love that you and JD do everything together…you two are where my wife and I want to be in a few years (fitness industry rather than photography). Thanks for all the inspiration!

39. corey

August 26th, 2010 at 2:53 pm

J* hate i missed you and Jd, i was in cali and missed you guys and I live two hours away hate i missed you guys I will be back in good ol sunny cal in a few months to visit my dad and of course shoot some of the most amazing people!!!

40. Romonia Isaac

August 26th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Great shots of the arch!!! I hate that the stranger cut off the top of the arch–come one it’s the arch–but it is still a cute pic!!! You seem to be pointing out something to Gretchen!!! ;-)~ I LOVE the dress you wore to the Shot Party in St. Louis! Big props to Kelly for putting on a great production!

41. Sheila Karner

August 27th, 2010 at 4:26 am

St. Louis is my home town! Ted Drewe’s serves frozen custard, which is phenomenally better than ice cream! If you ever do go back, make sure you try Imo’s Pizza – St. Louis’s very own!

42. Anouschka

August 29th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Your boots are just beyond cute. Love them!!

43. Rachele

August 30th, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I love the shots of you and JD with the arch. I’m sure this question is too late to be answered, but if anyone can help me out here, what lens were you using that you were able to squeeze all that subject matter into your frame? I see photos like that all the time and I’m always curious about how wide you have to go to get something so tall in its entirety (without standing a mile away!). If anyone else knows, please give a shout out!! You’ll be solving one of the great mysteries of photography for me! ;o) Thanks!

44. Truc

October 1st, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Bahaha about the photo taken by the stranger!