That’s What She Said

I arrived in Georgia yesterday. After two hours of sleep the night before, a long day of travel, and hell-hath-no-fury-like-an-hot-day-in-Atlanta, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go out for dinner. I was tired, cranky, and hungry, which basically meant I felt as fun as tequila donkey with two legs. Ashley and a great group of girls rallied and we walked to not one, but TWO restaurants that were closed. Why are restaurants closed on Sunday, I scoff, instantly regretting wearing heels. It’s Sunday. That was the response. Just like that.

Internet, apparently restaurants are closed in the south because SWEETBABYJESUS DOESN’T WANT PEOPLE TO EAT ON SUNDAYS. Amen.

We ended up at Taco Mac and over the roar of football fans, we got to talking about words. Specifically the impact we have as curators of our work. Everything we say is a reflection of who we are and what we produce. If you use words to tear down, marginalize, or belittle, people may admire your art, but they’ll have a hard time respecting the artist.

When you love what you do, cautiously approach what you say…and how you say it. Even when we doubt it, our peers are watching.

1. Becky

September 26th, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Hope you’re lovin’ Hot-lanta! One of my favorite places to go and I live just 90 short miles from it. Wish I could be there to hear you speak!

2. JudyB

September 26th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

So true–in all of life, not just our work.

3. Emily Heizer, Photography with Flair

September 26th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Yep, true. I used the word "urine" in a post recently. It was true… (we were in a back alley, and seriously, that’s all we could smell… but after I wrote it I wondered if everyone would find it as funny if we had at the time, or if you had to "be there.") but I wasn’t sure if I should have. But I had already posted it so I decided to stick by my post since it had been read by some. :shrug: I want to tell my stories and not all are totally appropriate, and there are lots worse examples of using your "words" in ways that can hurt, or question, or doubt, or do something to how people perceive you…. We all just have to think about how we say things. This goes for bloggers too. I got a rejection letter recently and it was worded just, NASTILY, "Submission DECLINED" Submission was "INAPPROPRIATE" for the following reasons… Totally innocent on the part of the blogger, I would assume, but, totally offensive to me. Not being rejected, that part was fine, but the words used didn’t need to be that severe. Good thoughts Jazzie.

4. Life with Kaishon

September 26th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Good advice.
    Happy Monday : )

5. Rachel Tatem

September 26th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Atlanta is a fun city… but they really don’t want people to eat on Sundays… it’s like the southern day of fasting or something

6. Tanya De Leeuw

September 26th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Words to live by.

7. Marti

September 26th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Sorry you ended up at Taco Mac, I can send you some much better selections if you get hungry tonight. Would it be strange to offer to take you all to dinner? Probably, but I’m more than happy to do so πŸ™‚

8. Ashley Goodwin

September 26th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I said I was sorry, what more do you want?!?! I tried to take you on a horse and carriage ride but you shot that down! I had an absolute blast, so glad I got to sit down with you!! I respect you immensely and am blessed to have you in my life! XO

9. Evie Perez

September 26th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed the little time you where here. Too bad you weren’t able to enjoy some good ol’ southern food. Thanks for an awesome presentation, you were GREAT!! You always cease to amaze me! I wanted to say hi, but you were surrounds by people. So hello πŸ˜‰ Have a safe trip!!

10. Evie Perez

September 26th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

11. Nani

September 26th, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Well put! These kind of posts are gold in this industry. πŸ™‚ Thank you.

12. Kacie Lynch

September 26th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Words are powerful!

13. Judy

September 26th, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I think the restaurants are closed because people respect Sunday as the sabbath. Jesus wants you to eat at home. And he wants people that run the restaurants at home (and at church), too, using the sabbath as a day of rest and reflection on Him. It’s ironic that you’re talking about words and then, in essence, mocking the restaurants (and those who feel that that is how they should observe the sabbath, aka honor God’s commandments) with your words.

14. Kristin

September 26th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

HA, I love that you ate at Taco Mac! Welcome to the South.

15. Melissa

September 26th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Amen to that! I’ve encountered so many people in this biz who tear others down in thinking it will push themselves ahead. While it may not change the fact that they produce GREAT work, it does cause me to hesitate before working with them again. And might I point out the obvious – really, there’s just no need.

16. cassandra-m

September 26th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ many sad faces. I had plans to be in Atlanta to see you talk this am at WPPI U. The universe threw me a curve ball & I couldn’t make it. I know U were AWESOME~! luv from Savannah still.

17. Kayla :)

September 26th, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Oooh I used to live in GA and I miss TACO MAC!!! πŸ™‚ Hope you got some of the yummy queso dip!

18. Mindee Green

September 26th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

this is so true! I Just went through a whole deal with photographers shredding others work! and it is horrible to scour Fb and see photographers put albums up to make fun of others work.. I would never hire one who had something like that..It speaks volumes about their character…and what they are like behind your back.. It is so sad that they feel they have acheived a place of judgement that they can truly define art! I did write a blog on it not trying to advertise on your page..Maybe in your busy schedual you will have nothing better to do than read a newbies blog LOL!! I think this subject should really be layed out to keep people leveld out.. thanks for taking time to share you words of wisdom with the world!!

19. Morgan Jenkins

September 26th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

This helped alot today.. I will forsure start watching what I say & start being more positve!! Thank ye Jasmine ;]

20. Suzy

September 26th, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Some places of bussiness still respect the religious beliefs of their employees and give them a day of rest(in the South)

21. rich

September 26th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

so true – i don’t think there’s any good in talking down on people. this world can use some more love in the air! =)

22. KB

September 26th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Not sure if this is referring to anything specific, but it is true that I tend to unfollow photographers who make a big show of routinely deriding the work or even simply the approach of others *on a regular basis.* On the other hand, some photographers seem to be immune to legitimate criticisms, and that’s a problem, too. On a third, gruesomely mutant, hand is that whole thing where women are supposed to be nice to everyone ever and heaven forbid you hurt anyone’s feelings, you MEANIE! … I have three points here and no conclusion, but it’s an interesting conundrum, although ultimately I think your advice to simply be cautious about what you say and how you say it is sound.

23. Jennifer Lynn Photography

September 26th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I love this post! Love love love it! I have a few photogs that I watch and dream to be more like. I don’t watch or want to be like one any longer for this very thing. She tore someone apart in a FB post (for trying to make their business happen). You are the best! And I couldn’t agree more!

24. gladys jem

September 26th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

LOVE this post Jasmine. Amen!

25. seabass

September 26th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

LOLLLLL, I dont think sweet baby jesus likes to be called sweet baby jesus J..he isnt a baby anymore! πŸ˜‰

26. Alexis

September 26th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."– Psalm 19:14 (King James Version).

My grandma gave me a key chain with that Bible verse etched on it.

It’s important to speak words of life, not just to people you meet but to yourself too!

Thanks for the reminder in your post today!

Have a great day!

27. Christina (The Detailed Life)

September 26th, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I completely agree and honestly have yet to come across another photographer who mocked someone else’s work on their blog. I admit, I tend to share a little too much when it comes to disheartened feelings about the industry- but those feelings are often fleeting and only a reflection of where I am at- still new at this and I’m sure you remember what that was like- lots of highs and lows. I personally, am someone who enjoys truthful people and reading honest words/feelings, which is the main reason I check in with your blog. I am turned off by those who seem overly happy all the time- life is not overly happy, but brutally honest and often tragic (but I digress), and I completely understand when people get down on others- though for obvious reasons, it’s best to avoid that sort of thing (karma doesn’t like it much either).

28. Melissa

September 26th, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Oh damn, I needed to hear this. I have a tendency to just speak whats on my mind but I need to learn to filter. Thanks for the reminder. Don’t you love the south? I’m from NC and as a teenager… waiting for the mall to open at 1pm on Sunday was torture.

29. Autumn Teesdale-Dash Photo

September 26th, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I whole heartedly agree! this is why I fired my first wedding photographer for my own wedding last year!

30. Dana

September 26th, 2011 at 10:14 pm

It was so great to finally meet you today after all of these years!!! πŸ™‚ Safe travels back home!!! xo

31. Kam Roberts

September 26th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I love that you were here! I hate that I missed it! And Taco Mac? Yums.

I’m betting you know this, but maybe some readers don’t realize…Sunday is not the Sabbath. Friday night through Saturday night is the Sabbath. Sunday is the Lord’s Day. New Testament Christians didn’t observe the Sabbath in the way their forefathers did. But since Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday…we now worship on the Lord’s Day. πŸ™‚

Think the world of you, Jasmine.

32. Kristy Dickerson

September 27th, 2011 at 2:16 am

Welcome to Atlanta Jasmine…. Be careful of the Sweet Tea also. It might actually be a little "sweet". πŸ™‚

33. Adrea Thomas

September 27th, 2011 at 2:31 am

Atlanta was blessed to have you today. Thanks for your encouraging words! `Adrea (the pastor’s wife)

34. Lloyed Valenzuela

September 27th, 2011 at 2:33 am

Well said Jstar!!!

35. Shivika

September 27th, 2011 at 3:40 am

I agree Jasmine.

Now, logically, you would say that if you love what you do, then you should have the freedom to talk about it anywhich way. But, what happens with this attitude is that you lose credibility fast. And, this is something that none of us can afford to lose.

on a separate note, have fun in Atlanta and shine like the star that you are!

36. ashley barnett

September 27th, 2011 at 4:17 am

You would thinkkkk Ashley would know this about Southern food on Sundays! Her living in Charlotte for the past few years where apparently no one eats on Sundays! As we so discovered when we were there for her wedding hahaha. No but really, I love this post. I hear so much bad mouthing and mean-ness sometimes and I just don’t think people realize the impact of their words on peoples hearts, minds and dreams. Thank you for bringing it to light.

37. Neel

September 27th, 2011 at 5:12 am

Enjoyed your session at WPPI U today and thank you again for sharing your journey.

38. jessica vidmar photography

September 27th, 2011 at 5:45 am

so true so true…thanks for sharing. I believe it wholeheartedly.

39. Em

September 27th, 2011 at 6:13 am

Truth. Preach it.

40. sarah

September 27th, 2011 at 6:15 am

"If you use words to tear down, marginalize, or belittle, people may admire your art, but they’ll have a hard time respecting the artist. "

i JUST had this conversation with a friend yesterday. LITERALLY.

41. Christa Hann

September 27th, 2011 at 7:35 am

Amen to that! Rhis post reminds me of that Sunday school song…."..oh be careful little tongue what you say…" πŸ™‚

42. Valerie

September 27th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

J* I was laughing as I read this as I once drove through Atlanta with my fiance on the way to Texas. On a Sunday. And you are right, absolutely nothing was open! No food in sight! All because it was Sunday… crazy! πŸ™‚

43. Candice

September 27th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

amen. and amen. it’s so important to be kind and watch our tongues.

p.s. welcome to the duuuuurty south! my home state of Georgia!!! Yes…there is the ‘blue law’ where most places in the south don’t allow alcohol to be served on Sunday either :). more useless tidbit….in South Carolina…they don’t have too many sorority houses at colleges b/c they are still considered BROTHELS! HAHAHAHA!

44. Michelle Kirby

September 27th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I agree totally! When I first started out, I would constantly look towards others who were successful in the business for inspiration and guidance. One I no longer look towards or respect because of a very derogatory post they put on their facebook page about another local business. While they β€œmarked out” the watermark of the other business, I knew exactly who it belonged to (not me!) and you could still read though the β€œmark” – which I’m sure was intentional. The whole post was an accusation of copying, and doing poor work, and I thought it was completely unnecessary. I don’t know if it was out of jealousy or if they felt the other business was taking their own away, but it completely turned me off from this photographer. While I have many friends in the business and several I would go to for taking my own families photos, this specific photographer is no longer one of them!

45. Schaffer Photography

September 29th, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Love the title reference to "The Office". Awesome show!!

46. Sarah Trulove Photography

October 1st, 2011 at 2:33 pm

We can’t buy alcohol on Sundays either, here in ATL! We are a strange state…

47. Kumu

October 21st, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Awesome view, seems like a view from the Omni, love that place.

48. Brooke Summer Photography

October 24th, 2011 at 9:06 pm

So, so true… and sometimes hard!

49. Kerri Helms

February 23rd, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Some places in Georgia serve alcohol, but a good portion of the state does shut down on Sundays. Old habits die hard, I suppose. I hope you find us a little more hospitable come March.