The Beauty of the Delete Key

I have been told I talk too much. Pfft! Maybe I don’t talk too much…maybe other people just don’t talk enough. Okay, okay, so maybe I can get a little carried away (JD’s commonly refers to my banal diatribes as monologues because of my dramatic pauses and interpretations), but I think I should be given a little leeway because…well…I don’t have a good enough reason for my monologues, but I’ve been known a few times to say something interesting. Oh, those forlorn moments of pseudo intelligence…

The good thing about my blog is the delay between my mind and the Publish button. In life, there’s no delete key. There have been times when I wonder if I’ll regret my blog posts, but for now, they serve as a constant reminder of who I was, who I am.

Back in February 2006, I blogged about my experience working with superstar wedding photographer, Mike Colon, for his first seminar. I had a blast and met so many people who’ve changed my life and career. I’m forever in indebted to Mike for his kindness, love, and support when I was starting my business. He was someone I looked up to and he never let me down. Mike opened my eyes to the limitless opportunities this industry holds for photographers and expedited my company growth by encouraging me to take risks. I truly love him!

Last night, as like often works, Mike and his beautiful wife, Julie, invited JD and me over for dinner. When we walked into his home, Mike stood at his stove making chimichangas, his second claim to fame. My mind immediately darted back to 2006 and felt a wave of thankfulness rush over me. The first time I helped Mike make chimichangas, I was a girl who didn’t own more than one camera lens, didn’t have business cards, and knew nothing about shooting manually. Such a short time later, I am blessed to still be enjoying homemade chimichangas, but have bourgeoning business…and business cards! 😉

Mike’s son, Aidan, couldn’t get enough of my point&shoot camera, so here are a few of his masterpieces…if you ask me, he’s going to take after his daddy!

The mini photo genius and me

Julie, Logan(berry), and Mike

In other news, this month has been one CRAZY writing month for me! I’m blessed to have contributed to four amazing photography sources, so if you’d like to check the articles out, be sure to click on the links below!
*The Birth of a BlogPhotographik
*Using Natural Reflectors for LightPro Photo Resource
*Q&AStudio MSV
*Photographer ProfileBlog on Photoblogs

1. melissa stava

May 21st, 2008 at 3:33 pm

jas- it is so good to be able to "hear" and "see" how you are doing…i was looking at our pics the other night and you are truly amazing! i am so glad God worked everything out for you and put people and places in line for you. you rock!

2. Gena McMillan

May 21st, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Just a heads up, the link to pro photo resource isn’t working!!

3. Paul Kremer

May 21st, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Come now! The people I know that talk too much are some of the most fun and most interesting people I know. I love hanging out with them!

4. Jasmine*

May 21st, 2008 at 3:44 pm

@Melissa: I LOVE you!! You and Jackson are some of my favorite clients and I was blessed to be a part of your day!! @Gena: All fixed…thanks! @Paul: Awww, you sure know how to make a talkative girl feel good! 😉

5. Cait Elizabeth

May 21st, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Wow. Looks like you had a blast with the Colons! Plus, I talk too much and I still have friends… we should see who talks more sometime.

6. Kenuy Kim

May 21st, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Aiden sure does love to shoot. He went crazy w/ my camera at wppi. I miss that family so much. thanks for posting this!

7. Shy

May 21st, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I miss they all dearly.

8. Leo

May 21st, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Wow, that is a lot of writing in one month. I don’t blame them. You got a great style of writing. Keep it up.

9. Regina White

May 21st, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Can Mike help me get my butt going and the nerve to start the buisness too. I am such a beginner!
    Your writting is awesome!

May 21st, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Love that shot of JD-LOL

11. David [C+D]

May 21st, 2008 at 4:27 pm

What’s wrong with super long posts?? Cat and I both have minors in creative writing so it’s tough for us not to write 35 pages and show 3 pictures, so we feel your pain. 🙂 Mike sounds like an AWESOME guy, and kudos to you for having so many fun articles!! Cools!

12. WeezerMonkey

May 21st, 2008 at 4:32 pm

You have come so far, Jasmine! Obviously, I don’t know you, but I’ve seen the evolution of your work for over a year now. It is a beautiful thing!

13. kelli eudis

May 21st, 2008 at 5:00 pm

What a wonderful article! I am grateful for people like you who continue to inspire me and give me hope in pursuing my passion. Thank you so much for sharing yourself, it really keeps my spirit and dreams alive when I am ready to throw in the towel.

14. Katie Trujillo

May 21st, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Jasmine, thank you SO much for your sharing and input! I totally look up to you and think your brand and style are SO awesome! I know you probably get TONS of e-mail and blog comments, but your advice to me on camera lenses has been so great! I ordered a 50mm 1.4 and am using it and I LOVE IT! and I’m totally scheduling you to do my headshots! I just have to find out when my husband has leave!

15. Amy

May 21st, 2008 at 5:43 pm

You are so awesome! The articles are great 🙂

16. Nena

May 21st, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I just read ALL four of the articles and I loved them. And I’m not a photographer! =-) I think we could be best friends one day.

17. Sarah

May 21st, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I always enjoy reading your articles. I love how you write, so down to earth and real. Thanks for sharing!

18. Erin

May 21st, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I think you’re my favorite photographer out there! I’ve been telling everyone I know about you. Thanks for sharing your work. I’ve got some reading to do now!

19. Joan Solitario

May 21st, 2008 at 7:55 pm

AWESOME POST! Thank you for sharing your articles again! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

20. Genevieve

May 21st, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I love all the articles and just to let you know..all my friends want you to be their wedding photographer too (like in 10 years when we all start getting married. lol.) after showing them your blog! Everyone I show it to falls in love with it :]

21. Katherine Bowman

May 22nd, 2008 at 12:13 am

Jasmine, out of all your posts on your blog, i think your personal ones like this are the most helpful! There are days when i feel overwhelmed with all the in’s and out’s of the business and other days where i don’t even know where to start. Thank you for your reminder that dreams do come true! 🙂

22. Lauren

May 22nd, 2008 at 12:40 am

Wow – great articles, loved the one on the blogs, id only I had your style of writing… oh yea, and your style of photography too! One can only hope!

23. Cathy Crawley

May 22nd, 2008 at 2:13 am

Coming from someone who could talk under water with a mouth full of marbles, I think silence is overrated! Chatty, bubbly people are way more attractive thank boring introverts! By Chatty Cathy 😉 LOL

May 22nd, 2008 at 2:57 am

i’ve enjoyed reading your "early" days in photography. Thanks for keeping your old blog up for inspiration.

on a random note, you make some pretty cute stick figures :o) I get to test out the california (san fran) sun (hopefully) in 4 days while shooting a friend’s wedding. i’ll be looking for some natural reflectors now!

25. Catlin Humes

May 22nd, 2008 at 3:58 am

lol, these photos are my favorite kind, they show how fun people are.

26. Debbie Bolton

May 22nd, 2008 at 6:16 am

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Mike as he did some baby photos for us at work (thru NILMDTS). Great guy and you are lucky to know him so well. Love the candid shots – looks like fun!

27. jamie

May 22nd, 2008 at 1:37 pm

GIRL!…you’ve just given me so much hope and faith!

28. Robin Olson

May 22nd, 2008 at 2:00 pm

smile : )

29. Catherine G

May 22nd, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I LOVE to read your blog and am so inspired and intriged by your words…your pictures! I am an aspiring photographer hoping to one day work at least half as good as you do! Thanks…

30. Stacy Cross

May 22nd, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Oh my. Well, I can DEFINITELY identify with the talking too much. The moment Stan gets home from work, I basically download each and every though process from the day and he gets it ALL! 🙂 Thank God he’s such a patient listener!

31. gabriel.ryan.

May 22nd, 2008 at 4:46 pm

something about jd looks a little different… hmmm… and there is something about mike & aidan and i just can’t put my finger on it, but you can definitely see the relation 🙂

32. christabel

May 22nd, 2008 at 4:49 pm

random question…what is the name of the song "track 1" on your main website? i LOVE it. thanks! 😀 btw, your photography is beautiful and your blog is awesome!

33. Charmarie

May 22nd, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I’ve been told I talk to much too and I can be dramatic but hey it’s me. I am glad that things have changed for you in such a short time. Congrats on all your success and future successes!

34. hollitrue

May 23rd, 2008 at 5:39 am

I love these pictures and your honesty. The girl you were in 2006 is the girl I am finally out-growing. 🙂 (I got the business cards, I’ve found my style, learning manual, now I’m just working on upgrading the website!) How amazing for you to find such a wonderful mentor to take you under his wing and encourage you to take chances. 🙂

35. Julie

May 24th, 2008 at 12:20 am

Just wanted to say hello and that I really enjoyed your article at Photographer Profile-Blog on Photoblogs. I found your comments fresh and honest. I have come to love photography more and more and purchase my first 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 this year. LOVE THEM! Wish and hope one day for the 1.2 like you said you loved. I’d love you to stop by my blog sometime and give me some "professional" advice! Yep, you! I’m a stay at home mom of 4 who photographs life to stay sane. And to document that they are all still alive!
    Blessings to you,

36. Kelsey Horner

May 26th, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Hey Jasmine, I just read through all four articles (with the exception of the one on Pro Photo Resource, because they don’t let you see the whole thing), and I loved them all. In particular I really liked the one on Photographik. I just wanted to let you know that not all the people that stalk your blog are brides to be. I’m not looking for a wedding photographer, neither am I engaged, but I do love photography and find your photos and your life beautiful.