The Perils of Taking the Family Christmas Picture

From: Jasmine Star
Date: Monday, November 29. 2010
Subject: Family Pics

hi family!
a few things…
1. i love you.
2. please be ready to shoot at 4pm.
3. we are meeting on main street and 3rd (from main, make a left and there will be a parking lot)
4. please wear neutral colors (beige, light gray, light pink)
5. please do not wear patterns on clothes.
6. i promise to be loving and nice today. and speak in love. please hold me to this. and help me.

A couple hours later…

We’re late…
He can’t find the parking lot…
Who said dark green was a neutral color?!
She had a fashion crisis, something about silk pants…
Can you move outta the way?! MOOOOOVE!
Please stop fighting.
Pay attention.
Don’t pull her hair extension!
Jasmine needs to calm down.
I’m losing light.
Who’s next?
Pay attention.
Dad, you’re being too loud!
Pay attention!
I’m having a bad hair day.
Who has a jacket for mom?
Real Madrid is playing tonight.
If you smile, I’ll buy you a toy from Target!
I know how to count to six in German.
Please go give her a hug.
You just made Kim Kardashian sad.
It’s a self-timer!!
Darn it.
No blinking this time.
I love you.

Words can’t express how much I adore my parents. At Thanksgiving, my father apologized for not being the type of father he tries to be. Everyone sat in stunned silence. Our dad–in spite of his flaws–is the type of person we all strive to be. And he makes my mom even better.
Alexandria is is the middle child. And she suffered from the syndrome for a few years, but is back to normal now. I’m kidding. She’s amazing, artistic, and finds a way to always help everyone…even if it’s at the cost of herself.

And here are the teenagers. Dun dun dun.
I love Zoe Belle and Sebastian more than I can put into words. I’m older than them by a few years and I’ve always felt like a second mom to them. In fact, I’d say that Sebastian is the person who started my photo career. When I was eleven, I’d take him and pose him amongst my stuffed animals…or in a large pot on the stove (what the heck was I thinking?!)…or dress him like the Village People…and take pictures of him. In fact, I have albums dedicated just to him. Which is creepy, I know.

This is Parker and Ryen. My new niece and nephew. And–oh my goodness–these kids just kill me. They make my heart melt and they make our family even better. Bianca and Matt were married earlier this year, and our family was blessed with three new members!

Us. In an alley.

This photo will keep my mother happy until December 2011…when she’ll be asking for a new family photo for her living room walls.

Happy Tuesday!

For those who asked, all the individual portraits were shot with the 50mm, 1.2 at f/2.0. The family photo was shot with the 35mm, and all photos done with natural light.

1. Toby Roybal

November 30th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Good stuff! Love the pics!

2. Jamie Siever

November 30th, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Your family always looks like you are having so much fun! I bet family gatherings are a blast. I think I love your dad!

3. Kelly Sauer

November 30th, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. I love this. Love it. You’re hilarious. Your whole family. Thank you so much for sharing! It’s fun to meet you all!

4. Ian Hamilton

November 30th, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Great photos Jasmine, and a tale about family photos that rings true to many of us! πŸ™‚

5. Angela

November 30th, 2010 at 7:38 pm

You have one of the most beautiful families I’ve ever seen.

6. Jeanette

November 30th, 2010 at 7:38 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE em all!!! Fabulous post! xoxo

7. Carmen Whittaker

November 30th, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Loved seeing all your family. Looks and sounds like mine. Merry Christmas!!!

8. jackie lynn

November 30th, 2010 at 7:39 pm

This is so great… so funny =)
    I’m doing mine in a few weeks, and I can just imagine how mine will be.

9. Amanda

November 30th, 2010 at 7:39 pm

You have a GORGEOUS family!!!

10. annie

November 30th, 2010 at 7:39 pm

serously. THE most gorgeous family I’ve seen. seriously.

11. Jordanne

November 30th, 2010 at 7:40 pm

What a beautiful family you have!! Thanks for sharing!!

12. //Dani

November 30th, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Jasmine, you all look so FABOULOUS! Have a nice holiday season! Love you guys!!

13. Alicia

November 30th, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I’m so, so, so happy that you posted these! I saw your fb update yesterday and I was hoping you’d share the finished result with all of us. Beautiful, beautiful family!

14. Kayla

November 30th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Your family is too beautiful. So not fair.

15. alicia schneider

November 30th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Amazing Jasmine! You’re even a photo genius taking your family portrait with a self-timer! I am consistantly striving to better my photography business following your model! Thank you & happy holidays!!

16. StephanieB

November 30th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

You have SUCH a good looking family!

17. Kristin Tatem

November 30th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Wow! These are amazing! Love all the variety you got in that one area! After seeing your Mom, its no wonder you and your sister are so gorgeous! Beautiful portraits!

18. Carrie McCluskey

November 30th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

You have such a beautiful family. You are all so blessed to have each other.

19. brooke snow

November 30th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

How delightful! So fun to meet your whole entire family! Love the narrative of the experience just as much as the pictures! I

20. Linda Williams

November 30th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

These are amazing. I pray one day I can get there. You have a lovely family. God bless you all

21. felicia gwen

November 30th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Love!!! What a gorgeous family!

22. Karmen Lindner

November 30th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I think I just died laughing at the commentary! Well stated and yet a stellar group shot!

23. Jen Mishkin

November 30th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Beautiful Jasmine! I think when we photograph our family a monster switch comes on and all patience fly out the window (well for me at least). You have captured everyone beautifully feel free to come to Texas and photograph my family anytime. πŸ™‚

24. Erin Lassahn

November 30th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Beautiful family portraits, and what a beautiful family!!!!

25. Summer C.

November 30th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Your family is gorgeous!

26. Helen Okey

November 30th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful family with us. I loved the commentary – hilarious, made me giggle. I am looking forward to catching up with my extended family over the xmas period. Thanks Jasmine. H

27. Faith Cherisse

November 30th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

EVERY ONE of these people are over-the-top GORGEOUS! J*, you have an awesome family! I agree that the little ones add so much more happiness to this photo! Your mom looks beautiful! xoxo

28. Leah G.

November 30th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

LOVE this post! Makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one who struggles when it comes to taking family pictures of my own family! lol! You have a beautiful family, Jasmine!

29. Amelia Renee

November 30th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Jasmine, I just wanted to say that your blog posts always make me smile, and laugh, and sometimes cry. Thanks so much for being real and honest. You inspire me to be a better photographer but also a better person & daughter.

ps Your family is GORGEOUS! (of course…that’s where you got your looks!) not to mention your younger brother. πŸ˜‰

30. Mette Laurent

November 30th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Your family is amazingly beautiful and of course the photos are stunning:) You are a beautiful person and you inspire me, as well as so many others:)

31. Sara

November 30th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

LOVE that you live in the real world with the rest of us. Cheers!

32. molly

November 30th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

You have a beautiful family! Gorgeous pictures!!!

33. RAquel

November 30th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

that’s a beautiful family photo. I have been commissioned to do the same with my family this year, and i’m really hoping it turns out something like this!!! πŸ™‚

34. Rommy

November 30th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This family photo puts all others to shame! Your family is G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S!! Your parents are adorable, your sisters are drop dead gorgeous, your brother is handsome as hell, and you and JD, well, we all know you guys are the hottest couple ever! Your sis’s hubby is a keeper! and those kids, my goodness!!! Thanks for sharing!!

35. Shannon Gray

November 30th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Amazing pics! I just did our family pics and it wasn’t too bad…took about 10 minutes, because that is about the extent of their attention span. All went well except when I took a fall on the ice while holding one of my twins and my camera…not. good. It is now in Nikon land…getting some R&R and hopefully returning in the near future!! πŸ™‚
    Your family is so beautiful!

36. Mary

November 30th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

gorgeous!!! your family’s all so beautiful πŸ™‚ and your younger brother’s pretty darn cute πŸ˜‰ (not to be creepy)….AH the little kiddies kill me!!! xoxo
    Blessings for the New year :)!

37. Nadya

November 30th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Oh i love this, such a modern family photo! great location! you all look so happy, its beautiful!

38. Lacie Lacy

November 30th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This post seriously cracked me up. This was me last week. Running in heals in the mud from the tripod to my 2 year old son and husband, whom hates having his picture taken. I had to promise them booth toys from the store! ha! Your pics look amazing J! Merry CHRISTmas!

39. Eddie

November 30th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

You have a beautiful family…Love the blog that went along with this picture!

40. Barb

November 30th, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Stunning! You have a beautiful family, Jasmine. I bet they are just as beautiful if not more on the inside. Thanks for sharing these with us.

41. Nadine Burzler

November 30th, 2010 at 7:46 pm

GORGEOUS!GORGEOUS!GORGEOUS!GORGEOUS!GORGEOUS!GORGEOUS! I Can carry on like this for ages! Your whole family is just gorgeous…and as for your younger brother and sister…uhmmm…have they ever considered becoming models…? GORGEOUS!x

42. Kami

November 30th, 2010 at 7:47 pm

"Don’t pull her hair extension!"

43. Cecilia Flaming

November 30th, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Gorgeous family photos!
    I find it so challenging to take family portraits of my own family and you made it look easy. πŸ™‚

44. lydia gross

November 30th, 2010 at 7:47 pm

wow J* your family could ALL be models.. like in a JCrew magazine or something. How can every single person in one family be soo stunningly beautiful!! Your brother is going to break some hearts, that is for sure πŸ™‚ LOOOOVe this family photo idea.. might have to steal it over here in the midwest… where it is cold.. and rainy.. ugh. Maybe not haha πŸ™‚ Happy Holidays!

45. cat

November 30th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Fab shot…! Tell me, did you use lights for the main family photo?
    The exposure is fantastic.

46. Andrew Lipsett

November 30th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Simply awesome Jasmine:). Your attitude, humor, and openness is inspiring:)

47. Birdie Mendoza

November 30th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Your family is BEAUTIFUL!!! and your a GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER…

48. Stephanie

November 30th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Pretty family!

49. Jamilah

November 30th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

First of all, you have a gorgeous family… literally everyone is oozing with beauty… and kindness… Second of all, every time I come to your blog, tears start rolling! The last picture got me teary eyed because family pictures is what I never get to do with my own family… everyone living in different states… and get togethers are just too hectic to even think about my camera… with my Dad’s passing away two years ago — get togethers feel incomplete without him… but this Christmas when I fly up to see my family, I’m going to make it a point to gather everyone together… and capture the family… -thanks for sharing your beautiful family portraits

50. gladys jem

November 30th, 2010 at 7:50 pm

hahaha man this post was funny, and beautiful all at the same time! you have a gorgeous family jasmine. inside and out πŸ™‚

51. Alejandra

November 30th, 2010 at 7:51 pm

52. JamieY

November 30th, 2010 at 7:51 pm

What a beautiful family you have!! Just like your pictures.

53. natalyn

November 30th, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Um, this is awesome. Superlatively awesome. What a blessing it is to have such a close-knit family. It is one of the greatest gifts ever. And I totally laughed out loud reading about the drama that ensued while trying to get these photos together. And the fact that you used to put your little brother in a pot. haha

54. Kelli Taylor

November 30th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Jasmine I feel your pain! My Mom wanted a family photo this year and let’s just say it wasn’t something I could/would blog! UGH!

55. Lara Rios

November 30th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

This is soooo funny… Your typical latin family, mine it’s just as loud… LOL I love it and I love the pictures. Always such an inspiration πŸ™‚

56. LEOLAK

November 30th, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Wow…what a gorgeous family you all are! (hey don’t knock the kid in a pot picture…I did one recently..although it wasn’t on the Your mom looks so sassy…I see where you ladies get your style! Thanks for sharing!

57. Alex

November 30th, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I love it πŸ™‚ Your family is gorgeous and you all seem so happy πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing!

58. Salwa

November 30th, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Your family is absolutely beautiful!

59. Jessica

November 30th, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Polo is missing!!! πŸ˜‰

60. stephanie

November 30th, 2010 at 7:55 pm

What proud proud parents you must have. You are all so blessed…..and gorgeous and more gorgeous! Beautiful family, from the inside out. Thanks for sharing!

61. Anne BΓΌnnig

November 30th, 2010 at 7:55 pm

So lovely! I often think, we should start such a tradition too, I mean taking pictures of the family once a year. Maybe this year is the year πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing and encouraging. xoxo

62. Gail

November 30th, 2010 at 7:56 pm

My favorite quote about family from Desmond Tutu:

β€œYou don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.”

Love seeing this post. What a GOOD looking family! πŸ™‚

63. Melissa Pearce

November 30th, 2010 at 7:56 pm

What a GORGE family! And the family pic is always the hardest shoot I have every year. F’real.

64. Liz

November 30th, 2010 at 7:58 pm

This is happy! Love it! What a beautiful family Jasmine!

65. amanda thiessen

November 30th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

i loved this post! and daaaammmmnnn…that is one gorgeous familia! πŸ™‚

66. Emily Crall

November 30th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I totally love, love your reenactment of your family’s pictures. It’s the SAME WAY with me and my family, except times…um, I don’t know. Two parents, 4 in-laws, 5 siblings, and 8 grandkids… So, yeah, I look stressed by the time we get around to actually getting the picture taken. You, on the other hand, look just gorgeous!

67. Eileen

November 30th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I don’t know if you know this but I LOVE your family!

68. natasha

November 30th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Jealous is not the word that you don’t have to wear your own body weight in layers of clothing to stay warm in the winter.England is freezing.

69. eric vargas

November 30th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

can’t over how much you and your sisters look so much alike wow love the family and location

70. Tasha

November 30th, 2010 at 8:01 pm

This is so funny! And we did the exact thing last week while we were vacationing in the Keys. I had my kids get up for sunrise photos and nobody was happy about it…then when I set up for the photos I realized that the 2 second timer was never going to be enough time for me to jump in the picture…every shot had this blonde swish acrossed the left side…yeah, that was me trying to be part of my not-so-perfect family…haha…

71. Doug L..

November 30th, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Sometimes, the best part of my workday is to stop in and check out your posts – through FB. Today was a homerun. Your pictures of your familiy are just beautiful. I love how you used the brickwall in the alley. Keep it up!

72. sherry boles

November 30th, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I ADORE this post!! It’s so great to know that you go through that same hectic routine when getting family photos (love the self-timer…lol!). Great images!

73. crestine

November 30th, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Lovely photos and love the back stories.

74. Sarah Danaher

November 30th, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I do this SAME THING every year. And I usually end up in tears by the end of it. I’m the oldest of nine, and holy cow… my own family shoot is THE MOST STRESSFUL shoot of all eternity!! But there it hangs, in our living room, for EVERYBODY to see, and it makes me happy every year. It’s worth the tears, I think.

75. Courtney

November 30th, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Beautiful family! And I can only imagine what it would be like if I tried to get my whole family together for a photo, lol.

76. Kathy Ward

November 30th, 2010 at 8:04 pm

It should be illegal to have a family that is this gorgeous! Just saying…

77. Mindy Metivier

November 30th, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Gorgeous Jazzy*!!! Love all the descriptions and portrait shots of each member of your family!!! Your family shot came out fab!!! Tell Alexandria that there are a lot of us middle children out there…I feel her pain and can empathize because I too suffered from middle child syndrome…it’s what makes us special and unique!!! πŸ™‚

78. Donna

November 30th, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I was in tears laughing as I read the comments about what was being said during the shoot. For my family add… "Mom, why do I have to smile? It’s your stupid business.." I will pray for you all the way to Dec. ’11 when you have to do it again.

79. Lacy

November 30th, 2010 at 8:05 pm

AHhhH! This makes me miss you OODLES and OODLES and OODLES and OODLES and OODLES!! I definitely have to see you in January! xoxoxoxxoxo

80. Candice

November 30th, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Where’s Polo?!?

Your family is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL.

81. Rhonda

November 30th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Wow, Jasmine! your whole family is just wonderful. Your dad looks so much fun and your mom just popped … so beautiful. I could go on and on, but….

Thanks for sharing your family this Christmas! Thanks for sharing You!

82. ELMK

November 30th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

LOVE THEM. Judging from your tale of the day I’d bet there’s a silly shot in existence- I want to see that one!

83. Nicole Landgrebe

November 30th, 2010 at 8:12 pm

OHHHHHHH my how amazingly gorgeous is your family, what a FAB Portrait……. LOVE IT!

84. Paige Butcher

November 30th, 2010 at 8:12 pm

This makes my heart happy πŸ™‚

85. Mariko

November 30th, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Jasmine, you have the most beautiful family. Seriously, they are gorgeous!!

86. Matt

November 30th, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Maybe you could Photoshop in Polo, right down between your Mom and Sister….although it is a beautiful family portrait. I get the impression you feel about Polo like we do about ours–part of the family. I think your dad kissing your mom is my favorite shot. It kind of reminds me of my own parents and how they still feel about each other.

87. Kimberly Murray

November 30th, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Wow! What an attractive family. Not a bad shot in the bunch.

88. Miz Boo

November 30th, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Absolutely delightful Jasmine!
    Love hearing about your whole family. I didn’t know you had younger sibs! How fun!!
    What a gorgeous group!!!

89. Eduardo!!!

November 30th, 2010 at 8:22 pm

JS! This is super dope son! Love the alley! I love shooting in alleys. I’ve found so many dope ones here in DC! Good stuff! Good stuff!

90. Kira Lauren

November 30th, 2010 at 8:23 pm

"You just made Kim Kardashian sad." I’m dying. So hilarious. I’ll never forget that one! πŸ™‚ happy holidays to you and your family!

91. Amy

November 30th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Aww, Jasmine, I love it! You have an incredibly beautiful family (and talent!) What a blessing!

92. Diana Rush

November 30th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I’m right there with you on this one!

93. Corinna See

November 30th, 2010 at 8:28 pm

So beautiful. I love your commentary too!

94. Stephanie Miller

November 30th, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Yet another moving session. Reminding us of what is important and what really matters in the end. Beautiful portraits Jasmine!

95. Catie Ronquillo

November 30th, 2010 at 8:29 pm

You have beautiful family! Tell me about the perils of taking the family Christmas photo… This year we totally ran out of light, thanks for nothing Daylight Savings time! Next year, we need an alley, so in case I need to take someone out back for misbehaving, I’m already there πŸ˜‰ Happy Holidays! Next year with Polo! πŸ™‚

96. Kelsey Tice

November 30th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Dude… Is your brother single?? Hook a sister up! πŸ™‚ Haha… But seriously.

97. Tracy

November 30th, 2010 at 8:36 pm

This is my favorite post from you EVER. I wish i was there!!!! I just took pics of my own kids….what a riot!!!

98. tracy

November 30th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

and by the way…AWESOME pictures as always πŸ™‚

99. Romonia Isaac

November 30th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

JASMINE!!!!! These are absolutely gorgeous! What a beautiful family you have–on the inside as well as the outside. You captured them so strikingly–not that I would doubt you would–and these all are just jaw dropping portraits! I absolutely love the picture of you and JD. πŸ™‚ You two are such a beautiful couple that is a part of a beautiful family!! You guys are beyond blessed to have such a solid family core and I must admit that I am a tad envious but grateful to know there are families out there with so much love like yours. BTW, your mom is stunning and I see where you and your siblings got your gorgeous smile–your dad! Thanks for sharing!!

100. Lauren B

November 30th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Oh my gosh! i love this!! πŸ™‚ the last picture is the BEST!

101. Christina Lee

November 30th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I LOVE the one of your dad kissing your mom! Her face is priceless! Gorgeous family! Your teen sister looks so much like you and Bianca. Love these!

102. Anita Larsen

November 30th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Beautiful captures – soulful. Your family sure have gorgeous genes en masse πŸ™‚

103. Jen

November 30th, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Gorgeous family!!

104. Nicole Raine

November 30th, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Glad to see you survived! Mine was a pretty similar story – plus astro turf hats. Don’t ask.

105. Megan

November 30th, 2010 at 8:54 pm

You all are so. stinkin’. gorgeous. What a beautiful family and beautiful photos!

106. Mikaela

November 30th, 2010 at 8:55 pm

That is one seriously attractive family! Because you can see the inner beauty and warmth too πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing!!

107. Sheree

November 30th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Please adopt me Jasmine! You have a wonderful family.

108. Lea Ciceraro

November 30th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Brilliant! I LOVE the photos! Especially the group shot! And I lovvve your comments leading up to the photos… Thanks for sharing and letting us see "a day in the life." πŸ™‚

109. Katelyn James

November 30th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

holy cow…. I love your momma and I think she’s gorgeous! and your baby sister? oh my word. Your whole family is gorgeous!!! … and I fell like JD could definitely go as an older brother:) Maybe when you date for almost a decade, you start to look like the rest of the family……that hasn’t happened yet for Michael and me:)

110. Ginger Murray

November 30th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Okay, such a funny post. As if shooting family photos wasn’t hard enough, haha! Oh, the chaos! I saw the kiddos in your facebook pic, and thought, oh my gosh, does she have a niece and nephew now?? AWESOME. I won’t have any for a few years, although all my husband’s sibs are married… we have bets who will be the first to have kids. I vote the sibs have them first so I can play with them and give them back, haha:)

111. heather boren

November 30th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

You are amazing! So inspiring! You have a gorgeous family!

112. Gabriela Fuentes

November 30th, 2010 at 9:01 pm

What a lovely family.

113. erin

November 30th, 2010 at 9:11 pm

flash or no flash, that is the question??

114. ashley goodwin

November 30th, 2010 at 9:14 pm

HA! Hilarious! Sounds like my family this Thanksgiving! These are the bomb! That younger girl is adorable….and who’s the one with the extensions? HAHAHA.

115. beria Charles

November 30th, 2010 at 9:14 pm

What a beautiful, blessed family!

116. claudia

November 30th, 2010 at 9:18 pm

what a beautiful post…. however, it makes me feel bad!… I never take photos of my family and I…. its always them without me on the pictures….

117. Angela

November 30th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

You guys rock! Love it!

118. Ashley

November 30th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Oh Jasmine. Your blog is like soul food. Seriously. Probably the best family picture post I’ve ever read (:

119. Megan Hulsey

November 30th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Your little sister is working that camera like a pro! You have a gorgeous family, and obviously a lot more patience than I do. Group pictures are the bane of my photographic existence!

120. Rosa

November 30th, 2010 at 9:23 pm

You all are gorgeous! Picture perfect. I love the individual personalities that shine through their portraits.

121. Joshua Gull

November 30th, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Your dad has some style J. Great shots. Gotta love family photo time. πŸ˜‰

122. Life with Kaishon

November 30th, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Oh! I just love your Daddy! And your Mom is so pretty! And the kids. LOVE the flippin kids. The teenagers are too cute for words. Laughed my head off about the dressing up of your little brother. That is pretty special. And not creepy at all!

Family is everything!

123. Tina

November 30th, 2010 at 9:30 pm

BEAUTIFUL Jasmine.. I love it. well capture for a beautiful family – Cheers – your frined in Thomasville, Georgia!! ~ Tina

124. Amanda

November 30th, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I love your pictures!! You’re blessed to have such a wonderful family… from your blog they sound just like mine.

Have wonderful holiday beautiful lady!

125. Christina Calloway

November 30th, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Great family photos! Your family is beyond gorgeous:)

126. Renee

November 30th, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Ha ha this post was so darn cute. You have some serious talent with the self-timer! What a beautiful set of photos of the fam! I wish I had your talents to capture my family like this each year. Photos really are forever treasures.

127. Kyla

November 30th, 2010 at 9:45 pm

So funny! I love that your Christmas pics in SoCal include a sleeveless shirt!

128. Lea

November 30th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

It’s just wrong for you all to be so beautiful. Seriously. Too much gorgeousness. My eyes can’t handle it!

129. krista Anderson

November 30th, 2010 at 10:01 pm

What a gorgeous family Jasmine!!!!

130. crystal dimond

November 30th, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Love it!! You have a beautiful, happy family. I love all the comments you post before the pictures….too funny!

131. Mikkel

November 30th, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this piece of your life with everyone.

132. Jennifer Hudspeth

November 30th, 2010 at 10:08 pm

You have a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing!

133. Ashlee @ Ashlee Lauren Photography

November 30th, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Oh my, family Christmas pictures are always an adventure… πŸ™‚

134. Marryam Lum

November 30th, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Gorgeous, all of u πŸ™‚

135. Tacey

November 30th, 2010 at 10:16 pm

As if I needed any more reason to adore you! Your family is absolutely precious…Thank you for sharing what a ‘real’ family can be like. Huge hugs to you and yours…

136. Trude

November 30th, 2010 at 10:37 pm

LOL I had a similar experience with my family! Loooove these, thank you for sharing!

137. Annie

November 30th, 2010 at 10:38 pm

"Don’t pull her hair extension!" Got to be one of the funniest lines I’ve heard in a while! You are a beautiful family πŸ™‚

138. Keri Doolittle Photography

November 30th, 2010 at 10:47 pm

What a BEAUTIFUL family!!! Your mom is stunning!

139. Melody

November 30th, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Jasmine, you have the most beautiful family! πŸ™‚

140. Marta V

November 30th, 2010 at 10:52 pm

What a fabulous family! I absolutely love that your whole family has the same big smile. It’s beautiful.

141. trudy

November 30th, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Your family is so adorable and your little sister is a mini you and Bianca!

142. Marissa Nicole

November 30th, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I am taking my own family photo this year too..oh boy! Any tips? I love the one of Bianca and Matt and the kids.

143. Rhonda Brown

November 30th, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Beautiful family…beautiful portraits…you are truly blessed!!

144. wenyin

November 30th, 2010 at 11:07 pm

oh my goodness, your family is GORGEOUS. love the photos.

145. Cris

November 30th, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Beautiful pictures-they literally make me smile! Blessings to your entire family and Merry Christmas! Hoping to see Polo in a christmas sweater!

146. Lorrie Prothero

November 30th, 2010 at 11:13 pm

my favorite kind of photo session – love all the loving bickering =) You mom must be in HEAVEN this year – with new grandkids for Christmas!!! I bet this year is going to be one to literally put in the books.

147. Kim Spears

November 30th, 2010 at 11:25 pm

How are there SO many good looking people in one family ?!! Love that you can feel the love in these images πŸ™‚

148. Linda

November 30th, 2010 at 11:26 pm

sheer gorgeousness. no more so than any other family, I suppose. But still. . .

149. Alejandra Vidal

November 30th, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I didn’t know you had a younger brother!! Awww. Your younger sister is SO photogenic!! Well… your entire family is! Hmm.. I wonder if this is just due to *training* over the years?! haha πŸ™‚ Lovely photos Jasmine!

150. Regina White

November 30th, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Your Familia is beautiful. What a blessing. These are great.

151. Corina Peyroux

November 30th, 2010 at 11:32 pm

OH MY GOSH what a beautiful family! I thought I was getting confused with your sister Bianca! Are you’s twins coz you are identical almost!! I remember seeing her wedding photos and thinking… isn’t that you!! lmao.. Your family are beautiful and you can see how much your bond radiates through these pictures. Thanks for sharing!!!

152. Christina

November 30th, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Oh I just love these pictures… you are sooo fabulous : )
    Always be true to who you are.

153. Tira J

November 30th, 2010 at 11:35 pm

To Pancho & Millie, you have the most beautiful family. God has truly blessed you a million times over. Each member of your family is a true blessing. Thank you for sharing them with us. xoxo

154. lrn

November 30th, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Love the re-enactment, and of course the photos. Fantastic post

155. Alexis

November 30th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

beautiful photos! you have a beautiful, healthy and happy family! May God bless you and your loved ones abundantly during this holiday season and always! *Jeremiah 29:11*

156. Sandra

November 30th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Hysterical!! And gorgeous as always…

157. Alejandra C

December 1st, 2010 at 12:05 am

My first comment! I’m just a blog stalker. But I absolutely love this. Your family pics and story make my heart full. You and Bianca are very inspirational and I always tell people to follow your blogs. I feel like I know you!! Especially since we went to the same hs. Ok. Done sounding like a creeper. Have a wonderful Christmas & keep playing that Christmas music!!!

158. Angie Mack

December 1st, 2010 at 12:10 am

Oh my goodness, gracious — what a beautiful family! Can I be adopted as one of y’all? Please? Por Favor? But wait a minute…we come from a Royal bloodline, therefore, we’re brothers and sisters. Thank you, Jesus!

159. Annetta

December 1st, 2010 at 12:33 am

You have a beautiful family, Jasmine and did a wonderful job of capturing that. You little sister looks like a miniature of you.

160. Pua

December 1st, 2010 at 12:50 am

Beautiful family!!!

161. anda

December 1st, 2010 at 12:51 am

your family is so beautiful that i’m not sure it’s fair. LOVE these!!

162. emily troutman

December 1st, 2010 at 12:57 am

thanks for keeping it real Jasmine & letting the rest of us know that you all didn’t just glide into that alley with halos waiting to be captured πŸ™‚ gorgeous images!

163. Keri B

December 1st, 2010 at 1:11 am

Absolutely stunning! Happy Holidays to you and yours! Thanks for sharing:)

164. Marie

December 1st, 2010 at 1:15 am

I really wanna be adopted.

165. Evie Perez

December 1st, 2010 at 1:16 am

What an amazing family!!! I hope to be just as good as your parents are when I have my kids. I am pretty sure they are very proud of you all πŸ™‚ Beautiful Jasmine!!!!! You gotta love the timing of "Hispanics"

166. Jenna Danelle

December 1st, 2010 at 1:21 am

And that’s much nicer than it would go with my fam… Just thinking about it makes me giggle! Gorgeous fam and as always so are the pics!

167. kristin @ petal and thorn

December 1st, 2010 at 1:21 am

Your family is sooo good- lookin!

168. Dee

December 1st, 2010 at 1:29 am

Simply Beautiful!

169. Leah

December 1st, 2010 at 1:56 am

LOVE these, Jasmine.

170. Sissel

December 1st, 2010 at 2:11 am

ooooooh! your mom is sexy!
    beautiful job!!!

171. Nina

December 1st, 2010 at 2:59 am

How lovely =)

172. Melissa

December 1st, 2010 at 3:14 am

Good Gravy!!!! How is it fair that one family can be that beautiful? These are amazing!!! I love that you picked an alley to shoot too. I don’t think I could find one that clean in NYC haha. Happy Holidays!!!

173. Bunn Salarzon

December 1st, 2010 at 3:28 am

I think that should be JD’s new Facebook profile photo! πŸ™‚ BTW, can homeboy ever take a bad photo??? "No Fair!" says the girl with chipmunk cheeks who always has to find her "angle." It’s a 24/7 job. *sigh*

174. Kelly Beane

December 1st, 2010 at 3:33 am

Everyone is so dang beautiful!

175. karen eagle

December 1st, 2010 at 3:41 am

i love, love, love your work, I aspire to be like you! Thanks for continuing to raise the bar. Beautiful…….

176. Jodie C

December 1st, 2010 at 3:49 am

what a stunning family you have Jasmine!!! Fabulous as always!

177. Cathie

December 1st, 2010 at 3:55 am

oh-mu-goodness! That last picture it’s like three Jasmine’s!!

How will we cope??! Just kidding J* πŸ˜›

December 1st, 2010 at 4:17 am

Please make me feel better, how many pictures did you take to get the last one?? πŸ˜‰ Maybe this will be the year I am able to get everyone together on the same day and have a real "family picture!"

179. cassandra-m

December 1st, 2010 at 5:00 am

laughing so hard…your family stories are funny and always add a good feeling to my day! thanks for sharing…beautiful pics (all of them)

180. Christy Ordonez

December 1st, 2010 at 5:00 am

Jasmine – you are truly an inspiration to me and I can never get tired of expressing that to you. You are not only blessed with amazing talent but also a great husband, parents and siblings. Just by looking at the pictures you share of your family provides a true testament of where you originated from. Thank you for always sharing so much inspiration and reminding me to love life. Happy Holidays and God bless you and yours always. Much love, Christy O.

181. Liz Kausteklis

December 1st, 2010 at 5:14 am

Beautiful family! Happy Holidays πŸ™‚

182. Noe and Vicky Mendoza

December 1st, 2010 at 5:30 am

Thank you for sharing your awesome photos with us! Love them! Also enjoyed reading the perils involved in the family gathering…so real!

183. Rudi

December 1st, 2010 at 5:49 am

That is such a great picture of your parents! You can never have enough pictures of them and all the other ones you love. My parents died young. If I had a picture like this, it would be the one standing in our livingroom.

184. VeronicaH

December 1st, 2010 at 6:03 am

Oh Jasmine… I LOVE this!!! It’s so nice to meet your family πŸ˜‰ Great photos… and I loved how you told the story of how it went. So funny! P.S. your parents are so cute! And your brother πŸ™‚ Actually, you ALL are a beautiful, good looking family! πŸ™‚ Happy Holidays!

185. Karen

December 1st, 2010 at 6:05 am

You have a gorgeous family! I love that you shot these in an alley. =]

186. Julie Arellanes

December 1st, 2010 at 6:07 am

LOVE your photography! I’ve never seen anything like it! Amazing art! Great family! I love your Dad! So loving, truly a man after God’s own heart! Your Mom, beautiful inside and out! Bianca..What can I say? She’s a JEWEL! LOVE her! I haven’t met the others but I’m sure you’re all awesome! ;o) BTW, you’re hilarious!

187. Jessica Williams

December 1st, 2010 at 6:14 am

I love these!!! I always get scared that 2.0 would make only the center people crisp. Do you think it’s the camera you use that helps this? Or the person taking my photograph? (me!) I have the 50mm you have.

188. Anh

December 1st, 2010 at 6:33 am

Hi Jasmine πŸ™‚ Your family is so gorgeous and I particularly LOVE the pic of your dad kissing your mum on her cheek .. that put a grin on my face πŸ™‚ I love family pics .. it’s priceless.

189. Michelle Feeney

December 1st, 2010 at 6:34 am

Awesome, love it and smiling. πŸ™‚

190. Amanda Tacie

December 1st, 2010 at 7:20 am

oh my gosh your family is gorgeous! What an amazing family. It sounds like trying to shoot my family especially my brothers! πŸ˜‰ (ps your parents are cute)

191. Nate Perkes

December 1st, 2010 at 7:24 am

Hey Jasmine! I love these little snippets into your life. You have a beautiful family full of light. I love it. Love the photos as well… : )

192. Leeka K.

December 1st, 2010 at 7:47 am

So incredibly cute!!! Thanks for sharing, Jas, you have such a wonderful family! this reminds me that I am still due for my family portraits, it is funny how sometimes we, as photographers, neglect our own families… :(((

193. Jeanette Sanchez

December 1st, 2010 at 7:48 am

Very cool. Love reading your posts that are so familiar to all of us who have close knit families. Beautiful pictures!

194. Inna

December 1st, 2010 at 7:51 am

Jasmine, something funny happened with me after I read your post today… I have 4 kids of my own – from 1 to 6 years old. Every day, especially during dinner time is like in your post – all 4 of them (yes, even a baby) are talking to me at the same time and every time i am going crazy, telling them to STOP!!! except today… – I was actually enjoying it, realizing that is what I LOVE – a big, crazy family and i hope that in 20 years we will be as close as we are now and all of them will be sitting by the big table with their wives, husbands and talking – all at the same time….))) I think your mom should start a Blog on giving advise how to keep your family together and your children to adore you…)))))))))) LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!

195. Pamela Topping

December 1st, 2010 at 7:52 am

Your family is gorgeous!! <3

196. Cathy Crawley

December 1st, 2010 at 8:19 am

I totally wish I had just one portrait of my family. I digress. This won’t happen any time soon as these days my Dad refuses to smile or wear his teeth! Nuff said!

197. VΓ©roniquen El youssfi(Vely)

December 1st, 2010 at 9:26 am

Jasmine, you have a beautiful family, and what portraits and pretty souvenirs….

198. Elizabeth

December 1st, 2010 at 9:28 am

Beautiful Jasmine!!! Happy Holidays to you and your family.

199. Elena Hernandez

December 1st, 2010 at 9:37 am

a lovely family with wonderful stories of the moments shared…I love your writing and feel instead of just being a photographer that your writing reminds me of a long lost writer whose spunk and musings always made me smile…her name was Erma Bombeck…she was a total doll with such a great sense of humor…you have that spirit too…Happy holidays Jasmine and family!

200. Hollie Edwards

December 1st, 2010 at 10:43 am

Please can I be adopted into your family πŸ˜‰ The photo’s are stunning – I hope one day I can take portraits that are as half a stunning as yours.

201. M. Bear

December 1st, 2010 at 11:36 am

Great photos, but I have one criticism. The photo of the children is at too high an angle. Always shoot kids on their level, otherwise it looks authoritarian.
    Happy shooting,

202. Mark Coons

December 1st, 2010 at 1:11 pm

A brilliant post! While I was laughing I was also filled with a sense of dread as I have to photograph my wife’s family this month.

The location they’ve chosen is not the best and I know they will all be inappropriately dressed!

Thank you for sharing this session with us, the photos and your comments are great, as always!

203. Heather

December 1st, 2010 at 1:26 pm

What a beautiful family.

204. sandra finner

December 1st, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Your family photo session sounds alot like my tree decorating stories. Never quite how I expect and somehow just a perfect presentation of our family story. Beautiful photos Jasmine.

205. Joe Anna H.

December 1st, 2010 at 3:27 pm

What a beautiful family! Great shot πŸ™‚ and good times!

206. Josephine

December 1st, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Wish one day I can do the same for my family….i’m all grin looking at yours! =) Thanks for always inspiring and i mean ALWAYS!!!!

207. Algernon Parker

December 1st, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Great post!
    I love your work Jasmine!

208. Stephanie Stewart

December 1st, 2010 at 4:21 pm

What a gorgeous family! Love this post!

209. Michelle Guzman

December 1st, 2010 at 4:39 pm

What a gorgeous family you have!!

210. Jerusha

December 1st, 2010 at 5:16 pm

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I totally did the in-a-pot-on-the-stove photo. It was my first baby (only 8 years ago) and my sister and I were trying to be all Anne Geddes in a really twisted way. This post really made me smile.

211. Rina Marie

December 1st, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Jasmine, I’ve just recently started following your blog and had no idea you had a twin sister. I thought it was you in the picture with your niece and nephew and then I looked at the family picture and couldn’t figure out why there were two Jasmines! Googled "does Jasmine Star have a twin sister" and found your post about her. Too funny, especially as I think you’re one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen (does that sound creepy, coming from another girl?) and now I find out there are TWO of "you." Great family pictures! Makes me homesick for my family in Florida (we are also Hispanic)

212. Wani

December 1st, 2010 at 5:20 pm

For some reason, I thought it was just you and Bianca. Good looking family – happy holidays πŸ™‚

213. feuza reis

December 1st, 2010 at 5:22 pm

how can one blog post make me laugh hysterically and then cry, you are so blessed, you teen sister, she is GORGEOUS, well your whole family wow! and love the new niece and nephew….. and love the colors you guys used to dress, beautiful family

214. vincent

December 1st, 2010 at 5:45 pm

What a beautiful family!! great shots!

Have a great holidayseason Jasmine

215. jamie delaine

December 1st, 2010 at 5:46 pm

i don’t understand how your family is so good lookin’.

216. Andrea Husted

December 1st, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Incredible! Such a real and beautiful family. You are truly blessed πŸ™‚

217. Nicole Glenn

December 1st, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Hilarious! I can imagine exactly how the day went! Annnnnd your family?? So flippin’ beautiful!

218. Vanessa Paris

December 1st, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Love all of you, what an amazing family:) My almost-17-year-old-daughter thinks your brother is just gorgeous – here she is: :0, Love Vx (Australia:)

219. Kim Lee Schmidt

December 1st, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Oh Jasmine, your family is so beautiful. You can feel the love you all radiate through your smiles. πŸ™‚ You are so blessed. πŸ™‚

220. Kelsey Anderson

December 2nd, 2010 at 1:09 am

I LOL at your blog posts all the time! Add another to your list of people who think your funny πŸ™‚ Lovely images and if your family is ever looking to adopt sign me up ha!

221. AnneMarie

December 2nd, 2010 at 2:37 am

Would your parents like to adopt all your followers?!!! xoxo

222. Natalie

December 2nd, 2010 at 3:10 am

This is witty and a perfect description of family photos…love the photos!

223. Suzanne Naomi

December 2nd, 2010 at 7:10 am

Oh my Goodness, your family is so, so handsome, all of them! Love the pics πŸ™‚

224. Cristi

December 2nd, 2010 at 6:27 pm

What a gorgeous family! Merry Christmas!

225. brittani

December 2nd, 2010 at 7:10 pm

honey, you have a beautiful family. &hearts;

226. Edie Layland

December 2nd, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Beautiful photos and words, all about love! Thanks for posting!

227. Lisa Cour

December 2nd, 2010 at 7:41 pm

That’s so great! Thanks for sharing. beautiful people.

228. Bobbie Brown

December 2nd, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Love these! You have a beautiful family.

229. Laura Georgina

December 2nd, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Such a gorgeous, happy family! And so beautiful that you range in ages like that with your siblings–as a sister to much younger sisters, it’s beyond awesome to have such different and changing relationships with people close to you.
    Oh yeah–I also used to put my sisters in a pot and take pics. It’s no thang, right?

230. naomi chokr

December 3rd, 2010 at 5:12 am

awwwww!! amazing family pics!!! gorg!

are you and biance twins?? sorry if i missed that post πŸ™‚

231. Jackie

December 3rd, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Ooo I need to do photos soon! Now you have me all jacked up for them!

232. Emily Dobson

December 4th, 2010 at 4:25 am

Awesome pics! Wish the weather was still that nice around here. Goodness, I’d love to be wearing clothes like that right about now!

233. Rory Mole

December 4th, 2010 at 5:40 am

Just absolutely fantastic……

234. Megan Hayes

December 4th, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Lovely family!!

235. Jonni

December 5th, 2010 at 3:02 am

I love these gorgeous pics of your gorgeous family! Thanks for sharing. Great post. πŸ™‚

236. Rachel

December 5th, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Woolala! Is your brother single?!

237. RAMYAD London Wedding Photographer

December 5th, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Haha, reminds me exactly of my family. But they so cool too! πŸ™‚

238. arnie isa

December 6th, 2010 at 12:14 pm

your family looks ahmaaaahzing… but your brother, oolalaaaaaaaaaa!!! yummmmmsssss!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

239. Maria

December 6th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Your little sister is BEAUTIFUL! Wow! Just like her older sister(s)! πŸ™‚

Great job!

240. Kenia Faria

December 6th, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Linda, linda, linda famΓ­lia!

241. Lizeth S.

December 6th, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Fabulously gorgeous family! (Zoe Belle…such a beautiful name!) Happy Holidays!

242. Christan Parreira

December 7th, 2010 at 9:53 pm

hundreds (literally) have already said this…this is great work!
    I love the natural lighting and composition.

243. Heather

December 9th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I simply love your sisters wedding ring! In the blog you did on her wedding I fell in love with it and am always hoping to see more shots of it somehow πŸ™‚ Anyway you could post a close up πŸ™‚

244. Felix

December 12th, 2010 at 4:50 pm

great pictures! could you tell me how you added the border, especially using two different pictures? did you use a plugin or did you do all by yourself using photoshop? thanks!

245. Apple

December 25th, 2010 at 6:06 pm

OMG! I loooove your mom’s hair jas! you have a very beautiful family!!!<3

246. Anna Rebecca

December 31st, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Hey girl! I love it, and wish my family could get fly in and take pictures! Are you and Bianca twins?

247. Alicia

June 23rd, 2011 at 12:15 am

I love that you added at the end what you used to shoot with. πŸ™‚ Thanks for being brilliant and sharing with us. x