The Workshop : April 2010

Photography

It usually works like this: I get nervous and a tad stressed out. I pace my hallway and insist I have nothing to wear, then quickly grab the closest thing to in the closet and dart out the door. I drive in my car and worry they’ll think I’m way lame in real life. And then I bite my nails. Or sing outloud with MGMT. But the worry? It all goes away when I see them. The group of amazing photographers who’ve traveled from around the world to join me at The Workshop.

On Monday night I joined a small group for a pre-workshop mixer planned by the attendees and I had a blast!! They were nothing short of amazing and I was amped for what was in store for Tuesday. By the time everyone arrived, it was like seeing old friends and the day flowed perfectly…because this group was awesome. Their energy was palpable and the hunger to learn was invigorating!

The Workshop focuses on the Eight Components of Branding and my goal is for everyone to walk away prepared to develop, hone, and move their brand forward. One of the components deals with how shooting style and brand interrelate, and we were stoked to work with Michelle and Colton Cross, who flew out from Virginia for the workshop…Michelle is just starting her photography journey, but I heavily suspect she’ll soon be rocking both sides of the camera!

How could the day be not perfect when shooting a natural beauty like Michelle?

We were lucky to work with Colton…he is a Marine based in Virginia and he’s the nicest thing EVER…

This picture just kinda happened…everyone waited for the couple to get situated…and I snapped this photo. Something about it makes feel it’s a nod to a different place and time…

Yesterday the day threatened of rain, so we decided to shoot in the morning to avoid getting wet…but in true California nature, it was a mix of BLAZING heat and diffused light…

One thing I loved about yesterday’s impending storm was the presence of clouds…they made me so happy!

They have two gorgeous smiles…

Work it out…

Michelle…you’re killing me…love you!

Please don’t ask me what I was saying here…but, really, don’t I look like I speak with specificity?!

Many, many amazing thanks to Kristin of The Treasured Petal for creating one of her gorgeous bouquets…I’m in awe of her work and this bouquet just made me so thrilled to shoot!

This is my favorite photo from the day…it makes me happy. I just want to squeeeeeeze Michelle and Colton! 🙂
And if you lurve her bridcage veil, you can find more of Kristin’s handmade wedding accoutrements at her Etsy Store

Okay, so I lied…THIS is my favorite photo of the day!!

To my new friends and peers…thank you for such an amazing day!! I walked away so refreshed and inspired by all of you and I’m incredibly honored to have spent an entire day by your sides. Thank you for making me see the world in new ways and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you! Stay Fabulous… j*

I don’t have another workshop planned quite yet, but if you’d like to be the first to know when it’s announced, be sure to sign up for the j* newsletter! 🙂

comments

1. Katelyn James

April 21st, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I LOVE Michelle!!!!! What a sweetheart! I was so excited when I heard she was modeling!!!! 🙂 beautiful!!!

2. Becky

April 21st, 2010 at 8:49 pm

wow…. u get nervous??! im sure all the other ppl who attended were WAAAAAAAAAY more nervous than you…. i bet they were all trying to impress you…. which is always good…. u know to impress. lol

3. Valerie

April 21st, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Wow, these have got to be my most favorite photos of yours ever! I love them! I am in awe!

4. Verenice

April 21st, 2010 at 8:50 pm

This was such an amazing experience! Loved every minute of it! Still on cloud 9 today! After thumbing through my images from yesterday, I can see a real difference in my photos! Thank you for everything!

5. joan solitario

April 21st, 2010 at 8:52 pm

i miss your workshop! this made me wish i can go again! :o)

6. ellie m.

April 21st, 2010 at 8:52 pm

even though i’ve been to the workshop im jealous. I want to go again 🙂 Jasmine, where is the location with flowers at? Since I’m flying in for the mixer I wanted a scenery like this to shoot my parents in…..thanks!

7. Bryce Smith

April 21st, 2010 at 8:53 pm

The one of him putting on his gloves is gorgeous. My father was in the service. Made my heart smile!

8. Krissy

April 21st, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I must attend the next workshop! That dress is so stunning!

9. megmanionsilliker

April 21st, 2010 at 8:55 pm

wow – looks like everything came together so beautifully. stunning images.stunning models. stunning light. one of these days. i will be there. my sister lives in newport beach so i really don’t have an excuse! boston’s not that far.

10. Brent Pilgrim

April 21st, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Oh how it would be nice to head to SoCal right now and attend one of these shindigs. One day, I say, one day!

11. Dustin Francis

April 21st, 2010 at 8:58 pm

As a The Workshop attendee, I have a close connection with these and I have you and all the wonderful attendees to thank! Thank you for sharing what is the ghetto fabulousness that is j*. Keep it real yo!

12. Evie Perez

April 21st, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I meet Michelle at WPPI!!! She is a fab person, I love her 🙂 She is gorgeous and you all did a killer job on the pictures.

13. Jake Reece

April 21st, 2010 at 9:00 pm

It looks like you guys had a total BLAST! I can’t wait to see you at escalate (the rhyme was unintentional i assure you :P) You always kill it Jasmine, say hi to JD and Polo for us.
    Jake

14. robbie hickman

April 21st, 2010 at 9:01 pm

we would luuuuv to have you bring your Workshop to Va Beach. i have an extra room and i’ll even bring the donuts…..just sayin

15. Erica Rose

April 21st, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I WILL be at the next one! Being in a room full of photographers and learning from one of the best sounds like such a refresher…a fantastic thing for anyone’s business. I hope you put up registrations for the next one SOON!

16. gladys jem

April 21st, 2010 at 9:07 pm

oh my dear goosssh! she is stunning and i love her dress. i also love your outfit and these photos. gah! amazing as always.

17. Kim

April 21st, 2010 at 9:10 pm

That dress is stunning! Ohhhh I want it!! Gorgeous work – the clouds and diffused light make the light per-fecto!!! And it helped to have amazing models! Loooove it!! Can’t wait until the day I am able to make a workshop!

18. Laurie Bracewell

April 21st, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Absolutely amazing shoot, as always, Jasmine! And, ohhh, how I love a man in uniform! These two were just gorge!

19. -brittany-

April 21st, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Wish I could attend every j* workshop! Mine was perfection, but I am 100% certain all of them are!

20. kelly Green

April 21st, 2010 at 9:17 pm

OH. MY. GOODNESSS!!!
    I am in love with all of these images – and how gorgeous are those two – not fair!

21. Seleta

April 21st, 2010 at 9:24 pm

What an awesome experience! Thank you Jasmine and J.D. for everything! I’m so excited looking through my images and processing all that I learned yesterday!

22. Nicole Glenn

April 21st, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Yes, you teach with precision. 🙂 Your (first) favorite photo is diviiiiiine! xoxo

23. michelle carrillo

April 21st, 2010 at 9:42 pm

thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! I can’t say ENOUGH wonderful things about this experience… where words fail me, the tears of joy will help me express my gratitude.

24. whitney law

April 21st, 2010 at 9:46 pm

dang girl. that couple is smokin’! nice work… the lighting is superb.

25. courtney

April 21st, 2010 at 9:46 pm

totally wish i could come to your workshops! some day, right?!

26. Lindsay

April 21st, 2010 at 9:54 pm

How can you not tell us where her dress is from? I love it. I want it!
    PS GREAT pictures!

27. Sarah Brewbaker

April 21st, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Loved this post! Mainly because we have our first military wedding this summer and those were some awesome ideas for poses! (As usual!) Hope to attend one of your workshops…someday! 😀

28. Shayna

April 21st, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Your favorite is my favorite too! Just perfect. If I were them (well, one of them, I suppose), I’d be gaga for that shot and it would go straight onto the mantle, and my parents, and facebook, and maybe some flyers on the street for good measure.

29. ashley nicole

April 21st, 2010 at 10:14 pm

How fun! I’m so envious of all the attendees. I get your newsletter Jasmine and want to attend one of your workshops so bad but I live in Middle America and Cali isn’t a 20 min drive. 🙂 It would take a bit more planning to attend but one day I will. I relate to so many of your struggles to get where you are and I think it would be a great boost to just absorb your knowledge and creativity, not to mention your motivation! For now, I absorb it through your blog…so thanks for posting everything from your struggles to your successes.

30. Kelly Lane Lusk

April 21st, 2010 at 10:21 pm

OH MY GOSH Michelle is sooooo gorgeous!!!! And a sweetheart too! I met her at WPPI and was blown away by her! Looks like another great workshop! JEALOUS!

31. Elise

April 21st, 2010 at 11:26 pm

These photos are just amazing! And I have decided I can’t read your workshop posts anymore. I cry inside to think of all of the wonderful experiences I’m missing out on. What I wouldn’t give to have the kind of money to go to one of your workshops! All of that talent and expertise! Amazing!

April 21st, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Michelle and Colton make gorgeous models! And your outfit is fabulous! I can totally see myself wearing that at my next engagement shoot!

33. Zurina Bryant

April 21st, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Another successful workshop! 🙂 Loving the photos.

34. brianna

April 21st, 2010 at 11:54 pm

this is my favorite workshop couple yet!

35. Jamie Sheasby

April 22nd, 2010 at 12:01 am

As always gorgeous couple and fantastic location. Where is that by the way?

36. amanda thiessen

April 22nd, 2010 at 12:03 am

wow they are a beautiful couple!!

37. Marissa Rodriguez

April 22nd, 2010 at 12:10 am

Your second favorite photo is AMAZING!!!! Totally made me smile. Big time! Congratulations on another successful workshop!

38. Velia

April 22nd, 2010 at 12:23 am

WOW Jasmin I think these are my fav. They are all gorgeous!

39. Jessica Smith

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:23 am

gah! i knew i shoulda signed up for this workshop! Michelle, you look GORGEOUS!! i can’t wait to hang out with you and meet Colton now that you live in VA :0) beautiful images Jasmine, as always! :0)

40. Jeremiah Spray

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:25 am

I wanna come to one of these workshops soooooooo bad. It looks like an amazing time.

41. veronika

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:32 am

what a gorgeous model! she is beautiful 🙂 great shots!

42. jenny

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:46 am

love the workshop photos ! you always have a way to make people smile !

43. Maria

April 22nd, 2010 at 2:00 am

I love all of these shots -beautiful! I’d love to attend one of your workshops but I’m all the way in Florida!! Grrrrr…so jealous right now!

44. Lora Ayers

April 22nd, 2010 at 2:29 am

I met Michelle while waiting in line to hear your WPPI presentation. She is not only gorgeous but very sweet! 🙂 Amazing pics! I would so love to attend your workshop J*! ~Lora

45. mariel

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:06 am

these look like soo much fun!!!!!!!

46. JEnnie

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:09 am

Must have been shirt and belt day! The shot of you talking with specificity has two other people wearing the same style as you! LOL

47. krista lucas

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:12 am

such a beautiful couple! i’m hoping to make it to the next workshop…saving my pennies. 🙂

xoxo

48. Holli True

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:13 am

One day, Jasmine, one day I will get to attend one of your workshops. I am determined!! 🙂

49. Holli True

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:14 am

PS: These pics are blowing my mind. I think this is my absolute FAVORITE session you’ve ever done. Smitten!!

50. Leslie Savage

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:31 am

Jasmine, love the photos. I dream of attending. But this time I have to inquire about the dress, as I’ll probably be buying one within the next year 🙂 Do you know where it’s from/brand/any details? I’d be perfection for my body type, and I don’t usually fall in love with wedding dresses. Until now…
    help?

51. Sabrina

April 22nd, 2010 at 4:19 am

again. wow. i just love them. all of them. the pictures that is. i don’t know the people and while i’m sure they’re wonderful that would be a little odd 😉 i know you said you don’t have another workshop planned just yet but if you happen to have one on Nov 16 that would be perfect. b/c i’ll be in LA! if not, i’ll just swing by with a cupcake for you. with sugar crystals on top… and try to persuade you (again) to come to the east coast. 🙂

52. Leah G.

April 22nd, 2010 at 4:28 am

Great post! I’d LOVE to attend one of your workshops one day! In my dreams….lol.

53. Cathy Crawley

April 22nd, 2010 at 4:40 am

Oh how gorgeous! LOVE it all 🙂

54. s h e r r y

April 22nd, 2010 at 5:13 am

These are awesome! They are a gorgeous couple!! 🙂

55. Stephen Motte

April 22nd, 2010 at 5:57 am

I love these Jasmine! You totally killed this shoot 🙂

56. Angel Canary

April 22nd, 2010 at 6:07 am

I looooved your workshop! It’s 1 am and I finally am home and after squeezing the breath out of Steven, the entire hour ride from the airport was nothing but good things about the workshop, you and J.D. and all of the new friends I made. You filled in all of those missing pieces for me, thank you, thank you. 😉 Oh, and you’re so stinkin cute!!

57. Natasha

April 22nd, 2010 at 6:22 am

How about a uk workshop ?? You’d like it over this side of the pond 🙂 x

58. Girish

April 22nd, 2010 at 9:31 am

Very nice shots.

I hope you can post a little informative posts or ideas about photographs and little from your workshops for people who can’t go to US from places like India.

59. Lisa

April 22nd, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Ok, that couple?! They are fabulous! Those photos were out of this world. I really couldn’t pick a favorite! Wish I could have been there… plan a trip to MI soon!

60. Leah

April 22nd, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Man, you blog fast!! Thanks Jasmine the workshop was awesome!!

61. Carrie K

April 22nd, 2010 at 12:56 pm

My 2 favorites-when Colton is putting on his gloves: it looks like something out of the 1940s and when Colton is holding the bouquet-you’d think he was presenting you with an American flag. I just love men in uniform. Gorgeous couple!
    Carrie

62. Jessica

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:06 pm

These two are crazy beautiful! I just love their style and the uniform!

63. Apple

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:44 pm

one day! i’ll definitely be part of the team!:)

love this shoot! i love how the clouds and the field looked so perfect together it seemed like it was shot with one of those studio backdrops!<3

64. Megan (Best of Fates)

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Normally I’m reading the posts for the photography, but I admit today I was distracted by the wedding dress – that’s just beyond gorgeous.

65. LEOLAK

April 22nd, 2010 at 2:25 pm

WOW…WOW…WOW!!! LOVE THAT DRESS! Gorgeous couple….love a man in uniform – THANK YOU for your service Colton! Michelle worked it! Jasmine, I don’t think you could ever look bad no matter how hard you tried. Thanks for sharing such fabulous pics as always – keep rockin!!!

66. Alexandra

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Beautiful!

67. feuza

April 22nd, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Mcihelle is OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    gorgeous gorgeous, what lucky you all were to have her and her man in uniform. I so love her dress, kind of what I want to wear when I renew my vows for my 10 year wedding anniversary
    so wish I was in this workshop, one day, one day

68. Papi

April 22nd, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I don’t know much about photography…and I don’t know why I feel the way I feel…but oh, my, oh, my….the Marine Corps officer looks so squared-away and sooo stinkin’ handsome in his uniform!
    Semper Fi…Hooooorah! 😉

69. elaine gates

April 22nd, 2010 at 6:23 pm

seriously just gorgeous!

70. Diandra

April 22nd, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This post got me a little teared up. I dont even know why. I think it may be my favorite shoot you’ve EVER done.

71. Bobbie Brown

April 22nd, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Eeeiiiiii! These images – and that couple – are so gorgeous! Congrats on another great workshope!

72. Leah

April 22nd, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Michelle (the model), as well as being beautiful and super sweet, is also a talented photographer. Check her out at michellecrossphotography.com

73. Simone Anne

April 22nd, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Love the dress! Those buttons down the back are TO DIE FOR. Love it! Also, you really just can’t go wrong with a man in uniform! Wow! Beautiful images as always, wish I could have been there!

74. Brittani

April 22nd, 2010 at 8:56 pm

You’re models are beautiful! Love her dress. Love his uniform, the old school nature was brilliantly beautiful. And I am insanely jealous of everyone that attended your workshop!! Rock n roll, J.

75. Cindee Lynne

April 23rd, 2010 at 12:50 am

Fabulous photos, as usual, Jasmine. No need to bite your nails: we all thought you were even more cool in person. It was such a great experience to see how you work and to meet you & your sweet family. Thanks for sharing your ‘secrets’ with us!

76. elei

April 23rd, 2010 at 10:55 am

these pictures are amazing. the models were amazing. my new favs.

77. laura B

April 23rd, 2010 at 1:19 pm

LOVE! I noticed on you nut & boltz shot you say email engagement tips … Can you share that letter? Whatever you tell your clients to do … I want to know!
    Hugs!

78. Michelle Cross

April 23rd, 2010 at 5:01 pm

HOLD THE PHONE! Jasmine Star fans are officially the nicest people on the whole entire planet! WE were the lucky ones to be able to be in the presence of such incredible photographers.

For those of you who asked, the dress was made by the mother of one of my best friends. Best. Wedding. Present. EVER.

79. Laura Stone

April 23rd, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Jasmine, these are some of my favorite images I’ve ever seen on your blog! Very memorable and fun.

80. Emily Scott

April 23rd, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Jasmine, the workshop was so what I needed in every way. You are a blessing.

81. nicole benitez

April 24th, 2010 at 3:35 am

Absolutely stunning!!!

82. nick

April 25th, 2010 at 5:23 pm

awesome. just awesome.

83. Abbie

April 26th, 2010 at 5:45 pm

WOW!!!! I love these pictures!! 🙂 And her dress! Wow! 🙂

84. angel canary

June 2nd, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I can’t believe that it’s been a year. I am still so grateful to you and JD and for all that I’ve learned. I hope that the changes I’ve made over the year in my work, although small here and there, reflect the influence this has had on me and m work. Much love, Angel

85. AlexanderKiselev

February 1st, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Jasmine i met you on Creative Live and wish to visit your trainings!

86. Evan & Melissa

June 4th, 2015 at 6:20 pm

I immensely enjoyed your creative live appearance, thank you for your generosity in teaching!