The Workshop : February 2010

On Monday night, I invited my family over to celebrate my mother’s birthday. Because I’m incredibly gifted in the kitchen, I bought my mom a cake. And because I’m such a great party planner, I used a votive candle on top of the cake instead of the birthday candles I forgot to buy. Because THAT’S HOW I ROLL. After the cake was sliced, I kissed everyone goodbye, and darted out for a mixer planned by the attendees of The Workshop.

When I arrived at Javier’s I found a table of 20 amazing photographers talking and laughing like old friends. And it was awesome. When I woke up yesterday, I was so incredibly excited to teach I was bursting at the seams. The day flew by and the group was incredible. Just before we commenced the afternoon, I stood at a distance and was overwhelmed with pride. If this group is an indication of where the industry is headed, I’m incredibly proud to call them peers.

Thanks to JD for capturing all the behind-the-scenes photos…here, apparently, I was teaching everyone how to bunny hop…

I was incredibly happy to meet Jodi for the first time yesterday…as a girl trying to get her feet wet as a model, she did awesome for the first time!!! 🙂

Look at ’em rocking it out…they were ready and pumped after a delicious lunch provided by Photographer’s Edit…thanks, Nathan!

Jodi looks absolutely divine in her Noaki Jewelry…I’m so thankful to have worked with such an amazing jewelry designer for this shoot. I almost dropped one of her bracelets in my purse ‘accidentally’!

I adored Jodi’s husband Matt….they drove all the way from Hemet to model for The Workshop and I can’t thank them enough for being so awesome!

One of my favs from the day….

I cannot express how thankful I am to have had the chance to work with wedding dress designer Joan Shum for this shoot! I love her designs and everyone thought Jodi looked spectacular in the wedding dress!

It’s winter here in Orange County….which means it was 80 degrees yesterday! 🙂

Major props must go to Kristin of The Treasured Petal for being so awesome and providing gorrrrgeous florals. I adored Jodi’s bouquet and I thought it was a perfect fit for this shoot!

I think this photo is epic. I look like I’m going to bite your baby. And Matt looks like he loves what I’m saying!

Kristin….you’re work amazes me. All the time.

A HUGE thank you must go to Vivian Tran of All Made Up Team for another incredible job with hair and makeup. Like always, her work and style amaze me and I’m so honored to have her on my team at workshops! 🙂

My favorite photo of the day!
To my new friends and peers, THANK YOU for being so awesome. THANK YOU for challenging me and reaffirming my love for teaching. THANK YOU for asking every question. THANK YOU for dealing with me making up words and laughing at my own jokes. And, of course, THANK YOU for being you. I know the future is bright and I can’t wait to see where y’all go. Much love and appreciation…j*

I’ll be announcing my next workshop verrrrrry soon, so to be the first to know, be sure to sign up for my newsletter as I’ll be announcing it there first. Also, if you’re interested in modeling for a future workshop, I’d love to hear from you! Just send me an email with a photo of you and your significant other and I’ll keep you posted as things progress! 🙂

1. Evie Perez

February 17th, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Happy Birthday to your beautiful Mami!!!! I always love to see you flawless workshop pictures. One day I be attending your workshops. You can tell that you love what you do. you are always glowing whenever you take/talk about photography.

2. Katelyn James

February 17th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

beautiful model! Love that she’s just getting started, what an awesome opportunity! ps. your hair was lookin GOOD!

3. Sarah Permeh

February 17th, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Ahhhh! Can I come next? Please? I promise I won’t be sweaty handed and awkward like… welll… I’ll try at least!

I NEED to get out of northern MN – OC would be perfect! 😉

4. yin

February 17th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Hey Jasmine, where can I find out more about the workshops you are going to be teaching?

5. Angel Canary

February 17th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Oooohhhh I can’t wait until your next workshop. I wasn’t quick enough for your last one in the OC. I had a dream that you scheduled your WS for the same week as JC’s in April and I had already flown there, and did both in a row, and saved on air fair. It was an awesome dream… Seriously I can’t wait, I was speaking about it with a friend yesterday!

6. Angel Pope

February 17th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

When you are ready to help us photogs here on the east side of the country, please…!!!!….I will arrange it all. Just come to us!!! 😉

Thanks for sharing!

7. Rosie Hernandez

February 17th, 2010 at 7:46 pm

"I look like I’m going to bite your baby. And Matt looks like he loves what I’m saying!" made my day. I’m still laughing about that image.
    Thx for sharing and I can’t wait to be part of one of your workshops. Need to get myself organized… it will be soon!
    Best wishes,

8. kristin @ the treasured petal

February 17th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

yay! jodi and matt look adorable! thanks jasmine for giving me the opportunity to dream up a bouquet for you. it’s always an honor!

9. Kristy Dickerson

February 17th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

You are so stinkin cute and JD is awesome! Thank you for opening your lives to all of us. I feel like I have walked away a better person and businesswoman. Plus 22 new friends! Big things to come!!! I just can hardly wait!

10. Jennifer Brotchie

February 17th, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Jasmine* and JD…you are absolutely a winning combination… I walked away learning so much and excited, EXCITED! about my very near future…. I loved everyone that I met, a room bursting full of creative and awesome spirit! thank you…THANK YOU…
    xo, ~j

11. Inland Empire Wedding Photographer

February 17th, 2010 at 7:50 pm

What a great looking group of girls. I like where the industry is headed too.. being led my some fearless females…

12. Krissy

February 17th, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I MUST attend one of your workshops this year!!

13. Natalie Tuggle

February 17th, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I got all excited reading your post; I was wondering when you would have another one of these. I’m glad you answered that at the bottom. I will be telling my cousin about possible modeling too!

14. Bobby Earle

February 17th, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — if I were single, I’d be going to J* workshops to find missus right 😛

15. Molly Marie Williams

February 17th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

This day made me a better photographer, business woman and human being. I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for this opportunity, Jasmine. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement. Now its time for me to make it happen and I can’t wait!

16. Paola

February 17th, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Oh man!! I hope to, one day, be able to go to one of your EPIC workshops!!!! One day… oh yes…. this day shall come!

17. ANDA

February 17th, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Yay, congrats on another fabulous workshop, Jasmine! I know every photographer in attendance is currently gushing about the experience to everyone they know. And I’ll be sure, in the future, to keep my baby away from you! Hahahahahaa. xoxo.

18. Mindy

February 17th, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I’m so excited about your next workshop. I hope I can go.

19. Becka @Studio222 Photography

February 17th, 2010 at 8:36 pm

That model kind of looks like January Jones from Madmen. 🙂 Looks like a good time. Congrats J*

20. doreen

February 17th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Random comment – but you have great shoulders! Love your blog!

21. P

February 17th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

If the image of all the photographers shooting is any indication– I’m buying stock in Canon and Shootsac. ha!

P.S. Wish I was there. ;o)

22. Diandra

February 17th, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Yesterday was a BLAST! I am so glad I got to go! And your photos look great! you’re so quick!!

23. Bartek Szmigulski

February 17th, 2010 at 9:08 pm

You have nice weather! We’ve got half-meter or higher snow drifts in Poland. It’s horrible. Anyways… photos are great! Next group of happy people! 🙂

24. Cat Watson

February 17th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

80 degree winters? California, you make me sick. But I do LOVE this shoot:) The flowers are to die for! She looked stunning, as well. Beautiful shots!

25. Caren Lazarus

February 17th, 2010 at 9:23 pm

i love the hair and make-up that Vivian and her team did…..beautiful

26. Angela Mae Smith

February 17th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

It must be so rewarding to know at such a young age you have already accomplished so much and have inspired and touch peoples lives and hearts! You are AMAZING! (And so are you JD!) Words can not descirbe my gratitude for everything that I walked away with yesterday! You have left a lasting impression on my life and career! Thank you! XoXo

27. Molly Kate

February 17th, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I love your FAQ posts and your pictures of course so I can only imagine how awesome your Workshop is. Love it!

28. Kare

February 17th, 2010 at 10:19 pm

lol @ the bunny hop in THIS post! ooopsy

29. cindee bae

February 17th, 2010 at 10:20 pm

yay, glad to hear that another workshop is in the works.. Hopefully I don’t miss this one, ack!

30. nicolEnjoli

February 17th, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Yesturday WAS a Beautiful day in the OC… we are so spoiled… hope to join one of your workshops in the future, I will be there to hear you speak at wppi! Im excited…

31. -brittany-

February 17th, 2010 at 11:11 pm

As soon as I thought there was no way possibly you could be anymore fabulous…I met you…and you were just that.. More fabulous Han I ever could have imagined. Thank you thank you Thank you! You have helped me more than you will ever know! Thank you also to new photog friends…I have been inspired by each of you!!! xo

32. Marissa Rodriguez

February 18th, 2010 at 12:14 am

Kristin did an amazing job on the florals! Amazing! I love the whole vibe of the model, dress, florals, everything! You are wonderful!

33. Carrie McCluskey

February 18th, 2010 at 12:51 am

THANK YOU Jasmine for being such an open book at your workshop. I learned a ton and had a great time! JD was so nice to talk to as well. See you both at WPPI.

34. Mindy M

February 18th, 2010 at 1:40 am

i’m so jealous of you west coasters. one day.. one day i’ll make it to a jstar workshop. =)

35. ellie Mohammadi

February 18th, 2010 at 1:44 am

Thank you so much for the workshop… your pictures, love you & JD

36. Girish

February 18th, 2010 at 2:32 am

Great post Jasmine. Nice photographs as well.

Keep it up.

37. gladys jem

February 18th, 2010 at 2:42 am

i got goosebumps reading/looking at this post because it brought me back to last November. I’m sure your attendees feel exactly the way we felt after your workshop. ready to take on our careers 🙂 everyone should take your workshop! that’s all. also, you’re fabulous, the models/photos are fabulous, and joan shum is amaazzzinggg! XO

38. lucy

February 18th, 2010 at 3:18 am

Jasmine Im loving your hair..

39. Stacie Frazier

February 18th, 2010 at 3:38 am

The bunny hop? Bite your baby? OMG you had me rolling with this post! Thanks for the giggle and the glimpse of what looks like an awesome workshop!

40. AndreaK

February 18th, 2010 at 4:13 am

Every time I see a workshop post I am so excited for those who attended to now have the amazing J* experiance under their belt 🙂 I am so proud to have met you, learned from you, and have your fabulous photography wisdom in the back of my mind when I shoot and when I work on growing my business. Thank you for being you!

41. Nellie Guerrero

February 18th, 2010 at 5:53 am

IN NORCAL!!!! 🙂

42. ashleigh

February 18th, 2010 at 5:54 am

yesterday was totally fun, totally fabulous, and kinda mind blowing 🙂 can’t wait to put all this newfound knowledge to use and grow my business into the business of my dreams!!! thanks to you, jd, and your sweet mommy for everything!!

43. feuza

February 18th, 2010 at 6:04 am

what fun times, I loved the models hair and that fav picture that you said, is sure FIERCE! hope to make a workshop one day, how about one in East Coast J*?

44. cori derksen

February 18th, 2010 at 6:46 am

Thank you SO much for all your openness, for your wisdom with branding and shooting, and for sharing so much with us. You are both a treasure. It was a fantastic time with 22 fabulous photographers. A treasure. Truly. I learned so much and am so grateful.

45. Lara Rios

February 18th, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Good morning Jasmine,
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU. You are amazing. I totally get your success, TOTALLY. You are fabulous, I had an amazing time and I’m so sorry I couldn’t spend even more time with you and the girls. I’m sorry I missed dinner but I had to meet my best friend from 1st grade! Thank you, thank you, thank you… I took with me a ton of inspiration and new knowledge. YOU AND YOUR WORKSHOP ROCKS!!! Oh! and let’s not forget about JD, big thanks to him too!
    Love you guys!

46. jeramy

February 18th, 2010 at 3:56 pm

someday…we’re going to show up to one of your work shops. i guess you should keep you prices low until then. 🙂

oh….we booked another wedding…i know…we weren’t going to do weddings….but it’s happening. look out! 🙂

47. Caitlin

February 18th, 2010 at 4:00 pm

My mother and I think the world of you! ; ) I honestly can’t thank you, JD, your Mama, and Jodi +Matt enough for all of your hard work on Tuesday. Feels so good to be in an industry with people like you. Hope you’re having fun in NY!

48. Kari Sikorski

February 18th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I love when you make up funny comments for your expressions in the photos! I am laughing so hard! You are so talented & have a graet sense of humor!

49. charlotteelizabeth

February 18th, 2010 at 7:59 pm

love this post! you rock, j*! yes, please do make it to the east coast! i can arrange it all for you in charleston, sc!!!

50. cori derksen

February 18th, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Thank you both so much for your openness at the workshop. It was fabulous! I learned so much and I am so appreciative. Thank you again.

51. Sandra S

February 18th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Great post Jasmine..really enjoy your blog! At what stage do you recommend photographers be at to attend your workshop?

52. George Koroneos

February 18th, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I would love to attend one of your workshops, but I swear, looking at the lack of guys in that group shot is super intimidating. That said, great work. Love your blog.

53. jenny

February 18th, 2010 at 11:35 pm

looks like so much fun !

54. Katie Whitcomb

February 19th, 2010 at 12:16 am

I envy your courage to wear a dress while photographing. I am too much all over the place and I don’t like that I’m more conscious about everything waving hello than doing my job. Many kudos to you.

February 19th, 2010 at 1:32 am

Jasmine, your hair looks fabulous! By the way, when are you going to have The Workshop Take 2?? I’m so ready to come down again and sit all day at your feet!

56. Laurie Bracewell

February 19th, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Jasmine, you are an amazing photographer, teacher and person. Your workshop provided me with an incredible amount of knowledge to move forward in my career. I can’t thank you and JD enough for making the day so spectacular. You are such an inspiration! xoxo!

57. Noaki

February 20th, 2010 at 2:24 am

Awww thanks so much for including my jewelry in this shoot!!! (and for almost "borrowing" a piece) Vivian did such an amazing job, Joan’s dress looks lovely and what a wonderful model. Thanks again!

58. amanda thiessen

February 20th, 2010 at 2:57 am

i will make it one of these days! if it freakin kills me!!!!

59. Sarahi

February 24th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

great blog!!! congratulations!!! you don’t have any idea how much you are helping new photographers to learn and understand better how to get this job done. because many of can do photography but it is a different world to sell what you do. thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us.

60. Krzysztof SerafiDski