The Workshop : June 2010

Photography

There’s always a brief moment right before I meet the group of workshop attendees when I get an overwhelming sense of Be-cool-be-cool-be-cool. Like, I have to remind myself to keep it together and stay collected because this group of photographers traveled from all over the world for The Workshop, and I don’t want to disappoint them.

On Monday night, the attendees planned a mixer before the workshop, and I was excited to attend. Yes, I was juuuuust barely getting over being sick, but I was determined to be there. Pumped up on Sudafed and all. Things went well until the night lingered and perhaps I got tired. Or something. Because the next thing I know, I dropped an ENTIRE glass of ice water on the girl sitting next to me. And ohmysweetbabyjesus I panicked. I grabbed a cloth napkin and started patting her down…which was stupid. Hello, Heather, can I please fondle you?!

The good news is that it was a wonderful ice breaker. No pun intended. The group was comprised of 20 fabulous girls and I’m so glad to call them friends…here’s a sneak peek of our day together…

We were incredibly lucky to work with Joe and Jihan Cerda as models…and, really, you’d think they did this professionally….

Like always, I’m thrillllled to work with Carissa of JL Designs…not only is her work amazing, she’s a beautiful soul who I’m proud to call my friend…

This look? This look is how Joe looks at Jihan all the time…it’s so sweet!

Joe, some of the girls mentioned you were soft of the eyes…I kinda agree… 😉

The light was truly spectacular on Tuesday…it’s was 72 degrees in Orange County with a slight breeze…pretty much perfect shooting weather!

I have to take a brief moment to just say THANK YOU to the ever fab Vivian of All Made Up…I lovelovelove her work and seeing her work her magic on Jihan was perfection!

Rawr.

Every workshop, I’m always blown away by how many Shootsacs make an appearance…I think all my girls make great models! 🙂

I’m extra thankful to Photographer’s Edit for sponsoring the workshop lunch and giving everyone a 20% Discount on their first order using the jstar2010 code. They help me SO much in my business and I simply love the crew!

I was definitely swooning over the black calla lilly bouquet….perfection…thank you, Carissa!

Jihan, you’re beautiful. Truly, truly beautiful.
Vivian, I love your hair and makeup work!

And here’s my favorite photo of the day…what a great group of photographers! This was the first workshop without any guys, so we all had to work hard to make JD feel welcome! 😉

To my new friends…you make me swoon. After The Workshop, I seriously felt like the luckiest photographer. Ever. Spending the day with you and simply sharing ideas, swapping photo tips, and laughing the day away made for a spectacular memory. I know the future is bright for you and I can’t wait to see how you shake up the industry! Stay Fabulous…. j*

If you’re interested in attending a future workshop, be sure to sign up for the J* Newsletter to be the first to know when it’s announced!

comments

1. Natalie

June 25th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Everything about this post is gorgeous. Joe and Jihan, the hair and make-up, the location…and more importantly you, the girls that attended and the photographs!
    I love when you can see how much people adore what they’re doing. It just radiates!

2. Erin Michelle

June 25th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Wow, what a stunning couple. He has bedroom eyes, love that! Beautiful bouquet as well. Love all of the shots!

3. Megs

June 25th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Oh My gosh Jihan you look amazing! (And so does Joe!) You both have such beautiful eyes! Love the models and love the photographer 🙂

4. mary dougherty

June 25th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

looks fabulous! also i really like the dress you wore – want to give us a hint to where you got it?

5. Harmony Loves

June 25th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I love them all! Have you had a repeat attendee… I would like to be your first!! 🙂

6. Alex Beadon

June 25th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Jasmine you are such an inspiration to everyone and I admire you so much. I recently found one of your showit presentations and whenever I need inspiration I watch it 🙂 So thank you for being you, for setting the bar high, and for inspiring the rest of us to do the same. 🙂

7. gina

June 25th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

absolutely fabulous! i want a turn at going to your workshop!

8. B

June 25th, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Jihan?! Didn’t she just have a baby? WOW. She and Joe look amazing!!!

9. Katie

June 25th, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Holy moly, that couple is STUNNING! Someday, I WILL get to a J* Workshop!!! You are awesome!

10. Melissa Papaj Photography

June 25th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Beautiful Jasmine! I wish I could have been there!

11. Angel Canary

June 25th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Jasmine! Oh my! She is stunning in person and just radiates beauty in all of these. I love how you can see her bubbly and sweet personality come out in her eyes in your photos. Great job and Jihan – are you kidding me? You work it girl! I knew your husband was sweet and thoughtful, but you didn’t say he was hot too! ha! 😉

12. Maria

June 25th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Gorgeous photos..as usual! I can’t wait to be one of those 20 lucky photographers…I’m working on making that dream a reality!!

13. Hannah

June 25th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

STUNNiNG couple! As always excellent work(:

14. Rebecca Sehn

June 25th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Just gorgeous! What a lucky bunch of girls!

15. Mikaela

June 25th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Jasmine, thank YOU for creating a spectacular day for us girls! The chance to learn from you and JD and hangout again was, in a word, fabulous. Until our paths cross again…(Seattle in August?!!) xox

16. Liz Kausteklis

June 25th, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Jasmine, what can I say, you ROCK! I walked away from your workshop with so much inspiration, new friends, and a new outlook on where I want my business to go! The models were absolutely beautiful…the hair, the flowers, the weather, everything about that day was perfect!! And…you are one of the coolest people ever, thank you for being YOU! Thank you also to JD, you are pretty cool too 🙂 ps…I love my Shootsac 🙂

17. Kim Spears

June 25th, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Jasmine the workshop was incredible !! I learned so much in such a short period of time. You and JD are just the sweetest. It was truly a fabulous experience. Thank you !!

18. brianna

June 25th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

this may just be my favorite workshop couple yet!!! ooh la la — for both of them. 🙂

19. Anouschka

June 25th, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I just love these Jasmine! I swear every time I see your latest workshop images, I want to attend again! Cannot wait to see you and JD in November at Gladys’ wedding :))

20. Andrea Koo

June 25th, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Jasmine and JD: Thank you, thank you! You put together such a wonderful workshop. I learned so much from just being next to you guys…you exude inspiration and kindness.

21. life with Kaishon

June 25th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I hope I can attend one day : )
    It looks like it was fabulous fun! And the bride was GORGEOUS! Wowza!

22. Christa

June 25th, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Love the images from this workshop! Wow! And diddo on the black calla lilies…beautiful 🙂

23. Vanessa R.

June 25th, 2010 at 8:43 pm

The workshop was the BEST experience of my life after getting married and having Emma, SERIOUSLY! I feel like I gained such a better perspective, a new way of looking at things not only as a photographer but as a person.

24. Jennifer Brotchie

June 25th, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Proud to say that Gorgeous mother of 2 is my Goddess friend! Beauty, beauty, beauty, Whoa!

25. IngaMae

June 25th, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I LOVE that you do this and I LOVE that you made one of my bestie’s Heather Armstrongs YEAR for making this dream possible for her. You are a talented connector and photographer that shall lead many to their next level…you make others look like genius’s. Bless you Jasmine. Massively.

26. Benjamin Armstrong

June 25th, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Jasmine, I love it when my wife has the opportunity to rub shoulders with other professionals in the field and then come home. There is always something new in her, something bigger, something stronger, something brighter, more alive. Although I always miss Heather when she is gone, it is so worth it when she comes Home! This was especially true this last weekend! My wife is not only richer as a result of your investment and passion, but I am as well!!! We have become a better US because of YOU! You Were Born to Inspire Jasmine! Thank You!

27. Cat Mayer

June 26th, 2010 at 1:07 am

Thank you Jasmine and JD for a great day and inspiring others to be givers and growers. Can’t wait to see where I go!

28. Vanessa Frosch

June 26th, 2010 at 1:17 am

I absolutely ADORE you Jasmine and JD!!!! Thank you so much for being who you are. I am so glad I was able to attend and experience the fabulousness first hand – you guys keep is SO real and I love it! Gorgeous images! Love love love! Hope our paths cross again sometime!

29. amanda thiessen

June 26th, 2010 at 2:10 am

this couple is gorgeous!

30. McCall Ryan

June 26th, 2010 at 5:08 am

Jasmine and JD are the BOMB!!! 🙂 Had so much fun. Can’t wait for you guys to shoot my wedding in about 10 years…
    I will be posting those ghetto fabulous pictures of us girl, you know how we do, we keep it FR3$H!

31. Jen

June 26th, 2010 at 8:03 am

It was truly inspirational being there with so many passionate photographers and both Jasmine and JD, I feel so blessed that I was able to attend (thank you a million times to my awesome husband Chad!!!) Your photographs look amazing and I wish you continued success in everything you do! Jasmine and JD are both beautiful souls and I am better for knowing them! If anyone has a dream of attending this workshop I encourage you to go for it, you’ll be so happy you did!

32. Pamela

June 26th, 2010 at 8:16 am

So inspiring! And what a gorgeous couple ~ I love the way you captured their stunning eyes!

33. Mireille

June 26th, 2010 at 9:52 am

Love these photographs. Can you come to Europe for all the photographers out here who would really love to attend the Workshop!

34. vanessa joy

June 26th, 2010 at 3:48 pm

best workshop EVER!!! If you do go to Europe, let me know, I’ll be there!!

35. Erica Velasco

June 26th, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Lovely

36. Lisa Burgess

June 26th, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Looks like ya’ll have a great time! I’m super busy with a full time job, 2 kids & a house to keep dirty plus I live in VA but someday I WILL come to one of your workshops!

37. Shannon

June 26th, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Your photos are simply fabulous Jasmine!!! Thank you SO SO much for such a wonderful experience at the Workshop!! You are such an inspiration and I am so thrilled I had the opportunity to learn from and hang out with you, JD and all the fabulous girls in attendance!

38. Trevor Allen Photography

June 26th, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Let us know if you’re ever coming to Canada!

39. LEOLAK

June 26th, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Very cool….gorgeous couple and pics! I just got my Shootsac the other day! So excited to use it!

40. Karina Crouch

June 27th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Thank you so much J* & JD! It was a blessing to be apart of the group. I would do it again in a heart beat!

41. Denise Saucedo

June 28th, 2010 at 2:10 am

Ok so where to begin??!!! Words cannot explain the filling of how full my heart was after attending your workshop!!! You and JD totally rocked it out!! Sudafed and all girl!!! You are amazing! I am so fond of meeting new people and this group, this group, was to die for!!! Lots of friends to carry along with me on my journey. Thanks for being fabulous and for always giving your all. JD you are a S.T.U.D!!!!

42. Katelyn James

June 28th, 2010 at 2:54 am

I just love you:)

43. Girish

June 28th, 2010 at 11:51 am

Beautiful shots. She is very pretty, really. Makes the shots more wonderful.

Couple of poses and the light in it is excellent.

44. Lora Ayers

June 28th, 2010 at 7:28 pm

oh please come to Dallas Texas with your cowgirl boots! I’m moving there and would sure love to attend your workshop!

45. Ashley Daniell

June 28th, 2010 at 7:47 pm

72 degrees?!? Seriously??? Oh, how I would LOVE to shoot in 72 degree weather. I am officially jealous! Oh and BTW, the photos are BEAUTIFUL! Great job as always.

46. angel pope

June 28th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

oh, holy goodness! what BEAUTIFUL models! i mean, triple friggin’ RAWR! i wanna’ come back! 🙁

47. Jan

June 29th, 2010 at 7:58 am

Beautiful shots!!!

48. Victor San Martin Jr.

June 29th, 2010 at 6:17 pm

WOW… Absolutely beautiful! Can’t blame Joe for smiling at Jihan the way he does. She is stunning. If they truly aren’t professional models, they should be. Great looking couple.

49. Jonda Spurbeck

June 30th, 2010 at 5:10 am

Jasmine & JD….thanks for such a fabulous workshop, and such an amazing experience. My brain was on fire the whole way home! Many blessings, and until next time! (seattle) hugs.

50. Bob Schnell

June 30th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Never seems to be a dude in your workshops! I am sure the blatant sexism is non-intentional 🙂
    Please come to the East Coast and I will be first in line to sign up. Your portrait work and writing is a constant source how this work can be done!

51. Truc

July 2nd, 2010 at 11:57 pm

What a gorgeous couple and beautiful photos! Hope I can join a future workshop some day.

52. Jay

July 16th, 2010 at 1:54 am

You do absolutely beautiful work! I look forward to seeing more 🙂

53. Apple

August 6th, 2010 at 8:40 am

Pleasepleaseplease continue giving workshops at least until i get to attend one.. pretty pleeeaaasseeeeee!!!;;) I lalalaloooove the hair and make-up! Jihan’s so pretty! fabulous work as always jas!:) …P.S. I wonder which one is Heather.;P

54. Apple

August 6th, 2010 at 8:42 am

btw, just noticed your shoe change. where’d the boots go?:)

55. Stephanie Glover

March 23rd, 2011 at 2:51 am

I have that dress, Jasmine! It is one of my go-to fav’s. It looks great on you!