The Workshop : June 2012

Just past 10pm on Tuesday night, I got into the car and JD turned me and asked how I was feeling. Lucky, I replied, so darn lucky. It was such a small way to express the gravity of what I felt after spending the day with 20 amazing photographers. A couple times a year, I host a photography workshop and it’s an incredible opportunity to spend a full day with extraordinary people.

Last Tuesday’s group of photographers left me inspired and hungry to do more in the photo community and I’m honored to call them friends…and know they’re ready to change the industry.

So what does The Workshop look like? Well, it starts at 9am with breakfast and mingling…

One of our favorite things is getting to know photographers on a personal level and JD is usually a popular conversationalist in the morning…

The Workshop focuses on The Eight Components of Building a Brand and I was incredibly honored to have an awesome $250 giveaway from Adorama (where I get all my camera gear) made for an extra exciting day!

We were incredibly fortunate to work with an adorable and lovely couple for the photoshoot and I’m so thankful for Erin and Brandon joining us for a lot of fun in front of our cameras…

The day was incredibly warm and we photographed during the brightest time of day in order to discuss how to approach harsh lighting and how to work in difficult situations…

Erin is a gorgeous girl, but Vivian Tran of All Made Up Team was the source of Erin’s phenomenal hair and makeup…love her!

I was sooooo happy to work with Carissa of JL Designs for Erin’s gorgeous bouquet filled with hues of orange, yellow, and cream…and who doesn’t love a beautiful peony?!

Many thanks to JD for all the behind-the-scenes photos! 😉

Brandon is such a kind guy…totally liked everything about him and he makes Erin incredibly happy…

During The Workshop, I ask students to define their brand and then capture photos that embody those descriptions. Students who volunteer will pose the models and then I offer feedback on how to make the posing experience stronger and improve communication with the couple. Here the lovely Amy is doing a great job! 🙂

Love this couple…GORGE!!!

Like always, this is my favorite photo. Spending an entire day with such amazing, sweet, generous, and thoughtful people makes me feel like one of the luckiest photographers. Ever. I’m terribly excited to see how they’ll change their business and lives to follow their dreams and making their passion a reality. My heart melts at their camaraderie and support of each other and love for the industry.

To attend a future workshop, be sure to sign up for the newsletter as I announce registration for The Workshop exclusively through it!

1. Paige Overturf

June 28th, 2012 at 2:27 pm

GORGEOUS!! What time of day were these shot? Love love love the images!

2. Mark Potter

June 28th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Jasmine & JD, we HAVE to thank you again for the most amazing day ever! The Workshop is the best investment we could have made and you’ve completely inspired us to take things to the next level and beyond. As we head north to SF, we’ve talked about how much we miss you already, and our hopes of hanging out again in the future.

3. jodie lemke

June 28th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

oh how i already miss this! Gorgeous models!

4. Martine Martell

June 28th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Looks like so much fun and such a GREAT workshop!!! Would LOVE to come to one! I’m only in the Vancouver area a few times a year, but maybe I can line up the timing just perfectly one of these times so I can attend!! When is your next one?

5. Kerry

June 28th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Wow, the future of wedding photography is incredibly female! You go girls! (and a few guys)

6. Leah Kristensen

June 28th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Hi Jasmin, love the pictures and I am always happy to see/read/watch your posts and hear what you are doing on a boring saturday night… Listen, I am curious and hope you can answer my questions: First, what are your favorite lenses for shooting throughout the action of the wedding day and (second) do you change-change-change or have two cameras at all times? and third- what was the brand name of the nifty neoprine sort of flexible pouch bag thing that you always have slung across you like a mail bag? : D thank you !

7. Haley Johnston

June 28th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So amazing! Beautiful work Jasmine!

8. Melissa Montgomery

June 28th, 2012 at 5:18 pm

come to vancouver bc!!!! 🙂

9. Jessica Vidmar Photography

June 28th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

oh my gosh…totally wish I could have been there but very happy for each and every attendee – I know it will only help this industry! Thanks j*

10. Carrie Logan

June 28th, 2012 at 6:05 pm

so lovely! and erin is GORGE!! so much fun 😉

11. Meredith Sledge

June 28th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

SO FUN!! I love your workshop pictures! One day I’ll attend one! 🙂

12. Simone Anne

June 28th, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Oh my goodness!!! Your outfit is to die for awesome. 🙂

13. new hire?

June 28th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Can I answer Leah’s questions?? 1. jasmine goes over her lenses and when she uses them here: 2. She only carries one camera with her at a wedding (but she doesn’t use the lens caps during a wedding to make changing faster (she does put the caps back on at the end of the night)) 3. the bag is called a ShootSac 🙂

14. Hugo Tepe

June 28th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

OHHH EMMM G!!! Such a small world, Erin and Brandon! You got to shoot with J*! I’m soooo JEALOU… HAPPY for you. hahahaha! Such a small world. Amazing photos as always J*!

15. Randi Marie

June 28th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

16. Ashley Christine

June 28th, 2012 at 10:32 pm The photos make me want to get married RIGHT NOW. haha Stunning work, Jasmine!

17. lin

June 28th, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hi Jasmine, I have a question about PASS. I know that you’ll pay for the even to host in PASS, but how long? 1 year? After that 1 year, what can the clients do? They’ll have to buy it? I want to use PASS but I can’t justify that the clients have to pay for the storage after they pay for my service. Thanks.

18. Tiffany A

June 29th, 2012 at 3:55 am

Love seeing your workshops Jas! Gorgeous photos, Vivian..beautiful hair and makeup!

19. Evonne & Darren

June 29th, 2012 at 8:12 am

I will make it to your next one! 🙂

20. Elizabeth

June 29th, 2012 at 10:09 am

I wish you would do a workshop here in Maryland…maybe one day I will go out West. So awesome that you (and JD) are willing to open up and teach others.

21. TXDOC

June 29th, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thank you Jasmine for sharing this wonderful post. It really shows in every word how generous you guys are with educating the community, and I just want to say thank you for all you do for the photography industry. And besides, your workshop looks really like an awesome experience – I am not even a wedding photographer and now I so want to attend the next one… 🙂

22. rich

June 29th, 2012 at 6:25 pm

your workshops look awesome – hopefully we’ll get to attend one someday!

23. Jack

June 30th, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I really like your workshop, want to see more in the future..

24. Nina Turek

June 30th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I had such a wonderful time at the workshop and can’t wait to get home so I can start implementing change in my business. You and JD are such inspirations to me! I’m so happy to have met you both!

25. Megan Manus

July 2nd, 2012 at 3:08 am

Just wondering if EVERY workshops includes one on one shooting, and deals with harsh sun and backlit situations?

26. Lisandro Rivera

July 2nd, 2012 at 9:07 am

Awesome pictures!!! I REALLY need to take one of your classes!!

27. Danielle Bryan

July 3rd, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Wow! Another one i missed….:-( Looks like a great group~! Next time….

28. Evie Wroe

July 4th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

When are you coming back to the UK? I would love to be a part of something this amazing!

29. Tovergoud Bruidsfotografie

July 6th, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Ahh, jealous! Would love to follow one of your workshops. Please let the world know if you’re planning to head to the Netherlands.

Kind regards

30. moi

July 7th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Fabulous! So talented.

31. Michele Shore

July 17th, 2012 at 6:22 pm

These look awesome! I SO want to go to one of your workshops!!! Wish you could bring it to Dallas! 🙂

32. Siobhan Sarah

July 25th, 2012 at 11:38 pm

You SO need to have a workshop in the UK!!

33. Angie

July 26th, 2012 at 1:02 am

When will YOU be in Montreal Canada? I am jealous… wish to attend your workshop also!!!! please!

34. Truan

July 31st, 2012 at 6:35 am

Wow, it looks like an amazing workshop! Do you have any plans to come to Australia?