The Workshop : May 2010

Just reading their conversation and interaction on the Facebook group they created before The Workshop made me smile. I knew they’d be a great group with positive interaction, but they took my suspecions and transformed them into something even bigger. They planned a dinner the night before The Workshop and when I arrived, they were organized, laughing, and already started shooting each others’ headshots earlier that day. Wow. I knew it was going to be a great day.

When you get photographers from around the continental United States, Canada, and Alaska together, you don’t know how everyone will mesh, but by 9:05am, everyone was getting along and I think I saw a couple high-fiving after making matching friendship bracelets. Yeah. They were that awesome. The day was extra special because my friend Jaclyne with Heavenly Blooms not only made the bouquet, but she surprised me with beautiful table decor…love her! And special thanks to my friends at Photographer’s Edit for sponsoring our delicious lunch…love them!

Some of you might remember these two beautiful people…I shot Gabriel and Carlie’s wedding back in 2007…they were such a pivotal couple in my early career. They’ve since created Gabriel Ryan Photographers and I’m so proud of them…

Oh, you. Just please stop all the fierceness…I can’t handle it…

A couple days ago I Tweeted about buying an animal print dress…even after looking at it in pictures, I’m still confused how I feel about it…

Special thanks to Upper French for providing Gabriel’s bow tie….

JD doesn’t shoot much–as he’s around to help people with settings and added questions if an attendee needs personal attention–but he snapped this photo of Gabriel and I love it…

Carlie, you’re uber fab…

Yes, please…

Again, a HUUUUGE thank you must go to Heavenly Blooms for providing all the florals and the pretty bouquet…

Someone forgot to tell Gabriel that the air guitar hasn’t been played since 1983! 😉

Like always, my favorite photo of the day…

To my new friends and peers…I believe in you. In your ability to surpass even your wildest dreams. Set the bar high, then pass it with flying colors! I can’t wait to see what the future holds, but I’m certain you’re going to rock things out…for no other reason than you’re simply fabulous. Thank you so, so, so much for spending the day with me. I’m a better person because of you all. xoxo…. j*

1. Gabriela Fuentes

May 28th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Beautiful pictures Jasmine.

2. Annie White

May 28th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

This looks like so much fun! I love the florals, and I heart the animal-print dress too <3

3. Mindy

May 28th, 2010 at 4:41 pm

You rock the dress, own it! And those RAWR pictures… indeed!

4. Alice Hu

May 28th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

what fun images and lucky group of photographers.

5. Todd Pinckney

May 28th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Gorgeous images as always Jasmine! I love how clean and crisp they are. Hopefully one of these days I can make it out from Chicago to one of your workshops!

6. laetitia

May 28th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Your workshop seems fun and interesting… Very clear and bright pictures…
    maybe one day 😉

7. Kirsten

May 28th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

These are fabulous! And I LOVE your animal print dress!

8. anda

May 28th, 2010 at 4:46 pm

oooo, jasmine, congrats on another fabulous workshop! i’m sure every single person there walked away overflowing with amazing information and eager to make it all happen! i know i was, and i still AM. i keep reminding myself to be patient with all my branding etc … that one day it’ll all click into place. because i still think about your workshop every day and how it has transformed my career — from the photo info to the friends i made. i love the close-ups of carlie the mostest here, and i extra love your animal print dress. i think it’s one of the cutest — but who can choose?! you always look so gorgeous. you could wear burlap and people would still envy your arms and the outfit 🙂

9. courtney reece

May 28th, 2010 at 4:52 pm

They are such beautiful people. Love these photos.

10. Julie Renee

May 28th, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Looks like another great workshop! I’m sure you all had a great time, just like we did!

11. Jackie Beale

May 28th, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I reeeaaallly love those two photos on set 12. Carlie’s skin looks so flawless and glowing. I can totally see how you use the bright light from on the floor as a reflector to light up carlie in that shaded spot. And I’m not a fan of animal print dresses but that one you have is super cute and delicate 🙂

12. Elisabeth Carol

May 28th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

LOVE these!! Gorgeous! And the cute personalized J* goodies you give out at the workshop?! Adorable.

13. Joe+Kathrina

May 28th, 2010 at 4:57 pm

These images are SO uberly fabulous–and Gabriel+Carlie are SO uberly gorgeous! Your workshops always look awesome!

14. Mandi

May 28th, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Man Carlie is just gawgeous! She has this ethereal beauty about her. I follow both you and their blog and I was just thinking randomly the other day (probably folding laundry) wow Carlie is gorg!

15. gladys jem

May 28th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

carlie is beautiful. she should be on top model because she’s really good at smeyezing. im glad to see that the tunnel is back 🙂 beautiful jasmine! xo

16. Kelsey

May 28th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

His bow tie is fabulous! Love these images and how fun for all the participants!

17. emily scott

May 28th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

love gabriel and carlie, love the workshop, but most importantly, jasmine, I LOVE THE ANIMAL PRINT. rawr.

18. Darcie R

May 28th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Love this! It is so "when the Geek gets the Girl"!!

19. Mikaela

May 28th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Ooh this makes me very much excited for June 22nd 😉 Love the photos as always!

20. Ning

May 28th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Jasmine and JD, you guys ROCK!! Thank you for such a wonderful day!

And if you want to see unashamed public declaration of admiration, please click on my blog 🙂

21. Laurie Bracewell

May 28th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I have always loved this couple, and I distinctly remember your e-sesh with them, and just being blown away by you as a photographer. And, p.s., I love the animal print dress. Rawr. 😉

22. Alexandra

May 28th, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Jasmine, one day I’ll be at one of your workshops all the way from England! 🙂 Looks like you all had a great time, wish I could have been there!

23. Kevin Keith

May 28th, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Cool Workshop! Looks like it was a blast.

24. Dana Fiorito

May 28th, 2010 at 6:19 pm

This was one of the most fulfilling and exciting days I’ve had in such a long time. The workshop met all of my expectations and exceeded them. (meet and exceed, right??) I met wonderful new friends that are so so talented. Thank you for opening up yourself and your talent to a room full of photographers who are ready to learn from one of the greats!

25. Tina

May 28th, 2010 at 6:50 pm

The dress is definately RAWR. And those centerpieces with the lil’ apples……..LOVE it!!

26. s h e r r y

May 28th, 2010 at 6:57 pm

The photos are awesome! I love Carlie’s dress! She also resembles Rachel Bilson.

27. Susan P

May 28th, 2010 at 7:08 pm

awww…yea!! i loved this post 🙂 besides you, gabriel.ryan.photographers are my favorites to follow too…and that picture of her straightening his bow tie is soooo precious! i hope i can make it to your workshop one of these days…maybe you can have one on your birthday and it will be my birthday present to myself since we share the same day 🙂

28. Eileen

May 28th, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I’d sell my soul to the devil to attend one of your workshops! LOL JK.. but pretty close to that!

29. Beria Charles

May 28th, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Awwww I wanna cry! I was so going to be in this workshop but I was hospitalized for a week and back home when I checked my email, here it was.. announcing the workshop but it was then too late to register! On the day of my birthday! What a bday gift I missed! I should had send you an email with my dramatic story so you would open one more spot for me! awwww if I could attach a mp3 tune with me crying you would know girl! Well, give me same hope… when is the next one??

30. Erika Jackson

May 28th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. What a perfect day. It was so good to connect after watching your work for so long. So excited for what is to come!

31. Amber

May 28th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Love the pictures! I love your positive motivating thoughts! Truely inspiring!

32. Katelyn James

May 28th, 2010 at 10:41 pm

one day. one day. one day. I’m being patient and waiting to the Jstar fund to fill up again and then guess where I’ll be?! Yup, I’ll be a jstar workshopper and it’s going to be fabulous! 🙂

33. Erica Velasco

May 28th, 2010 at 10:52 pm

The bride’s face is so fierce!

34. Barb Yasuhara

May 28th, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Jasmine, this looks like a faboo workshop, love the decor and all the little details that make us gals all fuzzy and warm inside.

Please keep us posted on any of your traveling workshops to the Bay Area, would love to attend.

35. Angel Pope

May 28th, 2010 at 11:08 pm

First-you rocked the dress, girl! Second-I commend JD for the shot he captured of you teaching. I have about one good and a ton you’d kill me for posting. 😉 I am still unable to put my thoughts into words after the workshop, but am working on it. You sparked a fire deep in my soul and you will never know how thankful I am for that. It was much more than just a workshop for me.

36. krissy

May 29th, 2010 at 12:49 am

after every workshop post, it just seals the deal for me. i must attend one in the near future… AMAZING!

37. Lora Ayers

May 29th, 2010 at 1:13 am

Would love to attend a workshop someday!! 🙂 Carlie and Gabriel are so sweet, and gorgeous. I was so happy to meet them at WPPI!

38. Alesya

May 29th, 2010 at 1:31 am

Jasmine – You always look fab! The reason you are feeling iffy about this dress is because it could be more fitted! Have a tailor take it in and I think you’ll feel differently! Maybe even RWAR. 🙂

39. clippingimages

May 29th, 2010 at 2:33 am

i have no word to say 🙂 simply awesome……….

40. Jennifer

May 29th, 2010 at 2:50 am

Jasmine, I think I just saw you on Private Chefs of Beverly Hills at an event for wedding planner Mary! : )

41. Karen

May 29th, 2010 at 3:18 am

You look great in the animal print dress! Beautiful photos! Your photographer models are gorgeous. =]

42. Marissa Rodriguez

May 29th, 2010 at 5:08 am

Looks like so much fun! Everything looks amazing and you look hot in your dress! 🙂

43. Annie Brown

May 29th, 2010 at 5:08 am

How do I get information on your workshops?? Im sure if I really looked hard it would be right in front of my face. I would LOVE to go and learn from you. I live in Potato land (idaho) so it would be quite a trip but well worth it as far as Im concerned 🙂

44. Annie Brown

May 29th, 2010 at 5:12 am

mkay so i just found it!! I should have known it was on the front page!

45. Apple

May 29th, 2010 at 5:55 am

I lalalalooove your dress!:)

46. Alicia Damron

May 29th, 2010 at 6:29 am

I love that bouquet with the apples, it is exquisite. And the air guitar photo is my favorite, he is seriously catching some air in that one. These are awesome!

47. Cathy Crawley

May 29th, 2010 at 10:11 am

Carlie you’re so hot! Love!

48. cassandra-m

May 29th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

remembering our workshop and missing everyone. PS…YES on the dress. 🙂

49. dee

May 30th, 2010 at 5:09 am

1. carlie looks SO good after hving a bby – gorgeous
    2. can’t wait to attend one of your workshops – i need more info!
    3. one of my best buds was tryin to work it for me w/ one of her co-workers upcoming wedding and she’s like O i already booked a photog – have you heard of jasmine* UM YAA..SMALL WORLD! congrats!

50. Jessica Feely

May 30th, 2010 at 6:23 pm

What FUN!! I absolutely love the pictures of this couple…so unique 🙂 I wish I could go to one of your workshops one day just to hang out and have some fun 🙂

51. Bec

May 31st, 2010 at 12:12 am

SO wish I lived in the US. Make sure you come back to Australia, and make sure I know about it! ha! Would LOVE to be a part of it. X

52. Holli True

May 31st, 2010 at 3:16 am

LOVE these! 🙂 The B&W image of Carlie looking down is absolutely breathtaking. They look like they would be such a fun couple to photograph!

53. angel

May 31st, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Jasmine-when you get a chance you have to check out the pic of your mom engulfing baby Lincoln! It’s no wonder you tweet’d the next day about how she acted after spending the day with him 🙂 It’s quite obvious she wants some grandbabies–I love that shot!

54. Linda Sherrill

May 31st, 2010 at 4:28 pm

OK…now I HAVE to get to one of your workshops. Too much fun!

55. miami wedding photographer

June 1st, 2010 at 12:18 am

When will be your next workshop?

56. amanda thiessen

June 1st, 2010 at 11:33 pm

favorite model couple ever!

57. Ivan Luckie

June 2nd, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I wish I could be there, hopefully the next workshop, looks great Jasmine!

58. Truc

June 7th, 2010 at 6:02 am

Jasmine, the dress looks fabulous o you! The models and photos are gorgeous. I love Gabriel’s bow tie!

59. erika lais

June 8th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

What a wonderful Fiance, what a wonderful pictures!!!! As always … Good inspirations for us, beginners … xoxo

60. Jessica Horton

June 11th, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I love that dress… please tell me it’s for sale online somewhere???? I must buy one!!!

61. angie

June 14th, 2010 at 7:12 am

So lovely, Carly is the most gorgeous person I have ever seen!

62. Andrew

June 17th, 2010 at 10:42 pm

AMAZING BLOG by the way! Ever since I was told by a friend about how awesome your blog was, I’ve been reading non-stop. Even into the wee small hours of the night. I love the energy that your pictures convey.

Hey Jasmine, If I may, for that last group shot (ie your favourite shot!), the group is sitting in shade with spots of sunlight shining through, but everyones face is evenly lit. Did you use a light fill flash in this case?

Love your work!