The Workshop, November 2009

The Workshop, November 2009

Photography

To say they were a group of excitable, zealous, and energetic photographers would be an understatement. Way under. The group of 20 photographers who came from around the US and world (Canada and Holland, represent!) blew my mind. They were outstanding, creative, and inquisitive…and, let’s just be real, FABULOUS! They not only came ready to learn, they came with lists (and lists!) of questions. But what I was most struck with was their collective desire to connect. With photography, with each other, with me. It was all just positively overwhelming.

When the group arrived on Monday morning for The Workshop, I knew they were special. Before I announced The Workshop on my blog, I opened it up strictly to those who subscribed to my newsletter and ended up selling out…these attendees were legit! Hanging out with them at a group-planned mixer on Sunday night, I knew I was in for a real treat. Best yet, Sunday was just a precursor to how fun Monday would be.

Many thanks to JD and my mother who always help me and make the day complete…without them, I’m nothing. Now that I’ve written too much already, I’ll get straight to the pictures…

Look at all my beautiful attendees rocking it out…

I was especially thankful to have the ever fab Lauryl Lane for providing the fall inspired floral pieces…

Again and again…I need to thank the amazingness that is Vivian Tran of All Made Up for styling the shoot, and working wonders with hair and make up. She and her crew rocked my world and I can’t thank them enough!

One of the things we focused on was shooting in harsh light. It was about 85 degrees on Monday and we were shooting at 1pm…this is probably the hardest time of day and light to shoot in, but I wanted to show how people can natural reflectors to achieve the type of photos they want. The group offered feedback, asked questions, and proffered so much support that I couldn’t help but fall in love.!

JD caught me in action…which is sometimes a bad thing….

…OH LIKE THIS IS BAD STUFF!! I, apparently, like to talk with my hands…so much so, I could probably flag down an approaching plane. Or spaceship.

I want to take a quick second and mention Ashley is selling this gorrrrgeous Vera Wang wedding dress…it’s a BARGAIN I tell ya! For more info, shoot her an email: ashleyrose@me.com

I can’t express how much I appreciate Jeff and Ashley Rose for modeling for The Workshop…they’re so amazing and truly in love. Thanks SO much, you guys!!

This is my most favorite picture of the day! Words can’t express how thankful I am to have met so many truly fabulous people. I felt their love and support from our first meeting and I am so blessed because of them.
To my new friends…you’re awesome. Plain and simple. Your hunger and desire was palpable, and I’m honored to be just one small part of your future successes. I can’t wait to see all the fabulous things you’ll do! Thanks for your time and sharing your lives with me! Mwah!

To be the first to know how future workshops, be sure to sign up for newsletter notifications!! I’m working on a swanky newsletter to include tips, tricks, and sparkly things, so holla back if you’re interested! 🙂

comments

1. anda -

Oooo, Jasmine! Seeing your images is always a delight, but these are super extra special because of the entire Workshop experience. Knowing how you captured each shot is still just blowing my mind. I mean … I learned SO much more than I could have expected. I don’t want to fill up your entire comment section by gushing about how out-of-this-world awesome the day and YOU, JD, and your mom and the models and every single other photographer were … but WOW — one of the best days I’ve ever had. Thank you. For being the ultra genuine and Fabulous person you are.

11.20.09 - 2:39 pm

2. syreena b -

I’m so JealouS… I hate to sound all extra SaltY but seriouslY…. one day Ill make it (SIGHHHH)

11.20.09 - 3:00 pm

3. Alexandra -

To say I’m jealous is an understatement 🙁

11.20.09 - 3:05 pm

4. Melissa Papaj -

GORGEOUS! I SOOOO wish I was there!

11.20.09 - 3:10 pm

5. Michelle sidles -

SO FUN!!! 🙂 Lucky photogs!

11.20.09 - 3:19 pm

6. Jessica -

I can’t even express in words just how wonderful this workshop was. I think Anda said it perfectly…we could probably all gush about it! Simply put, when I see this last photo of the group I feel like i am staring at friends I will have for a lifetime. Thank you Jasmine, JD for one of the most amazing days, inspiring us that anything is possible, and showing us how to live our dreams! Lol, and I am gonna say it holla:)

11.20.09 - 3:21 pm

7. Christine -

There is no such thing as writing too much! I enjoy reading your posts as much as I do looking at the pictures. The stories you tell – fabulous!

11.20.09 - 3:24 pm

8. Jason Grubb -

When are you coming to do a Wedding Photography workshop in Colorado?
    Jason

11.20.09 - 3:26 pm

9. Lissette Q -

Incredible photos. I soooo would love to attend your workshop.

11.20.09 - 3:33 pm

10. Kelli Taylor -

Sooo jealous! Wish I could’ve been there!

11.20.09 - 3:34 pm

11. s h e r r y -

I’d love to attend one of your workshops on day! (I’ll be in California in February ;D If you’re planning one for the near future again.)

Fabulous photos, as always!

11.20.09 - 3:38 pm

12. Kare -

I hope to some day make it to one of your fab workshops; right now it seems like an impossible dream but I still hold tight to it! I hope the workshop attendees comment with links so we can check out their shots, too (I always stalk the attendees and they ALWAYS rave about you!).

11.20.09 - 3:39 pm

13. Christine -

These are stunning images! I really hope I get to go to one of your workshops in the future 🙂

11.20.09 - 3:56 pm

14. gladys jem -

Jasmine. Jaz-ma-tazz. Jazzy Star 🙂 I walked away a better person/photographer when I left your workshop. Seeing you do what you love to do best with JD and your Mom at your side made my heart swell with love. You are truly the best, and an everlasting inspiration to myself and my business. Love you.
    P.S. Can I attend another workshop? 😉

11.20.09 - 4:01 pm

15. Monica Guerrero -

Looks like it was an amazing workshop! One day… one day 🙂

So Jasmine, it’s my 25th birthday and I was just wondering if you could maybe possibly find the time in your busy schedule to go to my blog and comment on one of my wedding posts! That would make my whole year! lol 😀 Have a wonderful day!

11.20.09 - 4:06 pm

16. Renee -

Jasmine, why oh why? Why won’t you come to Asian countries, like Malaysia perhaps? Think about it. Plus, it’ll make a good vacation location for ya. Btw, I’m totally digging the heels and sneakers shot!

11.20.09 - 4:15 pm

17. Radelle -

Well as I wrote on your facebook fan page, the day was FAR beyond anything I expected! I challanged myself as a photographer and am blown away by the images I got (i’ll have them on my blog in about a week)! I never knew I was capable of such awesome stuff. Its all beacuse of you! Thankyou sooooOOOOOoo much for being such a motivator, inspirer (is that a word??) and SUCH a genuine sweetheart.
    I love you and JD forever!

11.20.09 - 4:35 pm

18. Diandra -

I LOVE this shoot! I love everything about it! I am soooo wishing I could do your workshop right now!

One day 🙂

PS… Im still laughing from the spaceship comment. HILARIOUS. And possibly true. 😉

You’re awesome!

11.20.09 - 4:49 pm

19. Jess -

I love this photo shoot! The light is beautiful. The bride’s dress and accessories are so very cute – I especially love the fantastic hairpiece.

11.20.09 - 4:51 pm

20. Vi vian Tran -

Whooohhhooo!! I’ve been waiting all week to see these photos from the workshop! They are fabulous…love them!

-Vivian

11.20.09 - 5:18 pm

21. ohana photographers -

rock on wit yo bad sef!

11.20.09 - 5:19 pm

22. Stephanie Stewart -

Wow, such a cute couple! Love the flowers and all the fun accessories! Another successful workshop, congratulations!!! I would love to attend some day! So, what were you explaining in the action shots JD caught of you???

11.20.09 - 5:20 pm

23. Brenda Landrum -

Gorgeous! I just had to comment about the 6th image set from the bottom. The bride holding the flowers down her side….LOVE! I’m keeping that in my ‘idea tank’!!! So wish I could attend one of these…..

11.20.09 - 5:22 pm

24. Candace Prokopets -

These are beautiful!!! Your workshops look fabulous, JUST LIKE YOU! Thanks for sharing. Looking for models for the next workshop – my hubby and I are totally in. Yes, I just invited myself to model for you. I’m still bummed I didn’t win the contest to model for you in Las Vegas at WPPI this year. hehe! I don’t hold grudges. Nope, I don’t.

11.20.09 - 5:34 pm

25. Tina dela Rosa -

Love the 5th photo from the bottom. Beautiful expression!

11.20.09 - 5:35 pm

26. Kristy Cefalo -

Someday I will find a way to come to one or your workshops:(

11.20.09 - 5:40 pm

27. Trey Bohon Photography -

love the talking with the hands.. = )

11.20.09 - 5:55 pm

28. Oksana J -

Ahhh.. I can’t wait to be a attendee at your workshop!! Love the images, to not be afraid of harsh light..my dream.

11.20.09 - 6:02 pm

29. amanda thiessen -

love everything she’s wearing! gorgeous!

11.20.09 - 6:14 pm

30. Aaron Shintaku -

Those two look familiar lol.

11.20.09 - 6:23 pm

31. Lynn -

Ahh.. beautiful pictures!! And that dress.. .that’s MY wedding dress.. that’s I’ve not seen anywhere, on anyone except me! What a great inspiration for my trash the dress session!! lovely pics.

11.20.09 - 6:40 pm

32. Marissa Rodriguez -

I’m so going to one of your workshops one of these days. I just am.

11.20.09 - 6:45 pm

33. Ashley Rose -

Oh Jasmine 🙂 gosh we ADORE you. Jeff & I love love love these!!!!! Thank you for being you, and such a beacon of love in the world (yes world )! We love you bunches!!!!!! xoxox. The Roses 😉

11.20.09 - 6:54 pm

34. Maalaea -

Aaaaah, it looks like so much fun! I’m so jealous.

11.20.09 - 7:17 pm

35. Michelle O -

Ahhh…all the memories are coming back! It’s almost like a cheezy Meatloaf song playing in my mind, "It’s all coming back, it’s all coming back to me now…" You know that horrible song I’m talking about! What a fabulous workshop and an outstanding group of people we had! We loved every moment of it J*…thank you to you, JD, and your mom, Lauryl, Vivian, and Ashley for making it such a wonderful day. {{HUGS}}

11.20.09 - 7:33 pm

36. Jackie L. -

love your outfit! i love orange and it looks fabulous on you! plus the photos are AMAZING! maybe one day I’ll attend a workshop 🙂

11.20.09 - 7:36 pm

37. Lydia -

Oh how I would love to attend one of your workshops again! As if I could soak in some of your awesomeness by hanging around you!

11.20.09 - 7:39 pm

38. Tammy Stark -

Jasmine!

I’m sorry I missed you in Sacramento this week. Next time! I just signed up to get your newsletter, so now I’m in the know. 😉

I’m loving your blog. My husband and I have been coming up with some mad-crazy-cool ideas for my photog biz and your site really inspires me.

Thank you and God Bless – have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tammy

11.20.09 - 7:40 pm

39. claire -

i so badly want to attend one of your workshops! maybe even a private one….when you start doing that!

11.20.09 - 7:46 pm

40. sandy -

I notice you don’t seem to have a strap on your camera in several posts. Aren’t you afraid you’ll drop it? (Especially if you hands are moving around so much!!)

11.20.09 - 7:51 pm

41. Life with Kaishon -

I know everyone had a fabulous time with you! I would like to sign up for your email so I can get invited to the next one :).

You seem like a dynamic teacher! I love that!

11.20.09 - 8:31 pm

42. Leah -

Soooo jealous! Someday….:)

11.20.09 - 8:46 pm

43. Trude -

LOL that shot of them in action makes me think Shootsac REPRESENT! 😉 Lovely photos as always!

11.20.09 - 8:59 pm

44. dyan -

Talking with your hands is a beautiful thing to do!! 🙂 Looks like a fun workshop!

11.20.09 - 9:14 pm

45. Ben -

I’ve never seen so many shootsacs in one place 🙂

11.20.09 - 10:47 pm

46. Emma in London -

A spangly newsletter? Heck yeah I want in on some of that!
    Beautiful pics – waiting for the day that I can attend a workshop in SoCal or you come to London Town Jasmine!

11.20.09 - 11:01 pm

47. Bobbie Brown -

As always it looks like The Workshop was a total blast! I always cringe when I have to shoot in harsh light, like, I panic! I wish I could get images as amazing as these!! I love every.single.one!

11.21.09 - 1:11 am

48. lauryn galloway -

your outfit is super cute!

11.21.09 - 1:22 am

49. Tasha Prescott -

Wow, Shootsac in the house! I have one because of Jasmine’s Blog, so I assume they do as well! Go ShootSac! 🙂 Awesome pics as usual.

11.21.09 - 1:23 am

50. Brian Fletcher -

WOW…..it’s shots like this that make me just want to give up photography. Thanks a lot, Jasmine….lol.

11.21.09 - 1:26 am

51. joseph -

great shots jasmine.. i dig your enthusiasm

11.21.09 - 1:35 am

52. Julie Massie -

Jasmine, love, there are no words to adequately describe how thankful I am to have attended your workshop. My fellow workshop friends already said it all, but you are truly the total package girl. Your heart astounds me. Thank you so much for putting so much effort, time, and love into making the workshop such an amazing experience for all of us. You ROCK!

11.21.09 - 1:53 am

53. Julie Massie -

11.21.09 - 1:53 am

54. Vanessa M -

Awesome as always. Dang, that 3rd shot looks like a Shootsac ad 🙂

11.21.09 - 2:02 am

55. Ginger Murray -

Absolutely stunning hair and makeup… just WOW. And of course she’s already gorgeous anyway, I’m sure!! I can’t get over her awesome accessories either!
    Looked like a successful workshop–congrats!

11.21.09 - 2:11 am

56. ajira -

One of these days, I too will attend your workshop. Saving up for it already.

I love this shoot so much… what a gorgeous couple, and what a great job on styling… I adore the grey accessories. Just delightful. Oh, and I would love to learn how to get shots like that in harsh light… that’s just awesome!

11.21.09 - 2:13 am

57. Jen D. -

LOVE the shoes shot!!!

11.21.09 - 2:58 am

58. Amy -

Aww!!! I love Jeff and Ashley! They look HOT 🙂

11.21.09 - 4:19 am

59. Johanna Perales -

Hi Jasmine! I’m a long time blog follower and just wanna say thank you so much for being an inspiration to soo many! So before I ask my question I just wanna say I cannot get enough of your pictures, but I am also interested to see what some of your workshop attendees came up with. Is there anyway to (in the future of course) see some of your favorites of their work from the shoot?

11.21.09 - 4:59 am

60. natt -

can ‘t wait to do your jan workshop in sydney =)

11.21.09 - 12:10 pm

61. Jon Phillips -

Jasmine,
    Looks like the workshop was a blast. Wish I could have been there and learned with one of the best.

11.21.09 - 1:29 pm

62. Mike Reed -

shooting at 1pm and all natural light with no flash… I’m wowed!

11.21.09 - 2:06 pm

63. Anouschka -

It was such an amazing day Jasmine. Again a huge thank you! I feel so blessed to have been able to be part of this. Attending your fabulous workshop was well worth the flight from Holland!
    With much love, anouschka & ray

11.21.09 - 2:30 pm

64. Therese Beth Photography -

Oh, how I wish at this moment that I was a California girl!

11.21.09 - 6:56 pm

65. Leyla -

Looks like a fun filled day of learning, shooting & making new friends…

The models were fab as well, and despite the harsh lighting conditions, the end result is awesome!

11.21.09 - 8:28 pm

66. Leyla -

Looks like a fun filled day of learning, shooting & making new friends…

11.21.09 - 8:28 pm

67. Natascha -

The workshop looks like you all had loads of fun. I like the pictures, especially when you talking with your hands…(I have the feeling that you always talk like that 🙂
    Thanks for sharing.

11.21.09 - 10:30 pm

68. michelle white -

oh Jasmine! you are certain FABALISS!!! That’s my word for you!! It was such a pleasure, honor and Joy to meet you, your AWESOME husband JD! and of course you WONDERFUL MOTHER!! This workshop has definitely left a lasting imprint in my life!!! I’m so stoked to put the new things I’ve learned into use. Thank you for opening up your heart, mind, and sweet spirit! you’re a GEM 🙂

11.22.09 - 12:37 am

69. ohana photographers -

i spy cassandra!

11.22.09 - 12:52 am

70. grace l -

thanks so much for everything! your workshop was a blessing I have learned so much in one day then I have reading thousands of books!
    the pictures came out beautiful! Make sure to let me know if your ever in the LA area vegetarian style korean bbq~! 🙂

11.22.09 - 2:53 am

71. Anh -

Would love to attend your workshop one day … I LOVE LOVEEEEEEE your outfit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

11.22.09 - 4:19 am

72. Noelia Kline -

Gorgeous pictures, I hope to join you guys at one of your workshops one day when I go to California. Keep it up!

11.22.09 - 11:48 am

73. Alicia Swedenborg -

Your workshops always looks like so much fun!!! Someday, I will have saved enough money to attend myself. Someday. <3

11.22.09 - 4:55 pm

74. David Sno -

WOW!! Thats Amazing!! Yeah, thats a huggee toughie! Shooting in that harsh light, you handle it soo well! I would love to come back home to Cali and take your workshop! Glad this one turned out to be a HUGE success, but its no surprise! 😉

11.22.09 - 5:22 pm

75. Felicity -

Wow, that looks like it was such a great workshop! And almost all girlies too – that’s fantastic!

11.22.09 - 5:23 pm

76. Jo LeFlufy -

Oh my! Look at all those Shootsacs! Jessica would be so proud!!

11.22.09 - 5:54 pm

77. cassandra m -

I’m not sure if my comments can measure up to the other attendee’s expressions of love, excited, happiness, education & thankfulness. Shows what amazing people you attract J*. I will simply speak from my heart. I feel BLESSED by every possible means!! Your blog has been an inspiration, but to MEET YOU was simply was overwhelming. The investment has already paid for itself and the most amazing thing, the experience will continue to make me a better PERSON & PHOTOGRAPHER! Thank you J*, JD, your Mom, Rose, Jeff, Vivan, Lauryl & the other fab photogs I now call FRIENDS!

11.22.09 - 6:09 pm

78. Mitchel Wu -

Congrats on what looks to be an amazing workshop. I follow your blog religiously… love your work!

11.22.09 - 6:52 pm

79. Shuttersnap -

Your photos are always so beautiful and inspiring – wish you had a few more workshops in Australia!

11.22.09 - 7:51 pm

80. Bartek Szmigulski -

I’d love to be there. Great group of photographers, great workshop, wonderful person!
    Cheers from Poland 🙂

11.22.09 - 9:30 pm

81. Jaleen -

You are the best Jasmine. Thank you for sharing yourself with so many of us!!!

11.23.09 - 3:54 pm

82. Frank Manning -

Love the pics…maybe one I can come to the east coast for a workshop….hey i rarely see any male photogs, mostly women at these workshops, why is that????

11.23.09 - 5:29 pm

83. Treva Tribit -

I sure hope I can sell out workshops someday, my little 5 person workship a few months ago was definitely a blast, and its so inspiring being around fellow photographers! But, I really wanted to say that the way you inspire me most is through your Christian walk…you found a strong, principled Christian for a mentor (DJ) and you put your beliefs out there so the world knows who you are beyond the photography…something I try to do as well, and *that* feeling of community within the world of photographers encourages me daily! Thank you for that.

11.23.09 - 5:45 pm

84. {15:51} photography -

Ummm…yeah…totally jealous of every person in that group picture!!!

11.23.09 - 11:31 pm

85. Erica Velasco -

Lovely!

11.24.09 - 1:26 am

86. Kelly Braman -

Oh J*! Look at how flippin adorable you look in that Anthropologie dress! *love it, girl!
    Oh, and yes…you rocked it out, as usual!~and with harsh lighting!

11.24.09 - 2:07 am

87. Julie Blair -

What a beautiful couple! Great images as usual…

11.24.09 - 3:01 am

88. Ashley -

When is the next workshop. I will be in my car driving to California for it. That is for sure. Can’t wait to get updates, I’m on the mailing list. That girl is STUNNING! (I’m sure it was pretty fun for her to be the star of the day. So fun!)

11.24.09 - 9:18 am

89. Amber -

Your absolutley AMAZING.. I love your work … you inspire me too much….

11.24.09 - 12:30 pm

90. arielle joy -

Ohh the second shot in B&W is fabulous! I love how creamy your images are!!

11.24.09 - 1:54 pm

91. Emilie -

Ashley Rose is so cute!!!! Gorgeous photos!!!

11.25.09 - 6:18 pm

92. Jeanette -

these are the most beautiful photos ever! I absolutly LOVE your work, it’s amazing.

11.27.09 - 5:27 am

93. Tim - Wedding Photographer -

Love your style. Thanks for being awesome!

11.28.09 - 6:36 am

94. Cathy Crawley -

Only 5 more weeks, OMG I could burst with excitement 🙂

11.29.09 - 1:58 pm

95. Korey -

Ummm can I volunteer to model!? hehehehe

12.30.09 - 9:58 pm