Things That Make You Say Oooh

The smell of wet pavement. A bouquet of flowers just because. A homecooked meal. Anything Godiva.

These are the things that make me say Oooh.

One thing that shall be added to the aforementioned list is this baby:

While in Seattle last week for the Anti-Workshop, I was fortunate enough to borrow Jessica’s 28mm lens. I’ve been shooting almost exclusively with prime lenses and it’s radically changed the way I see weddings and the images I’m producing. I love my 50mm and my 85mm, but when I wanted to go wide, I’d turn to my 16-35, 2.8, but it sometimes left me wanting more–more crisp, more sharp, more of a fall-off.
Most of the images I submitted for our final group project was shot on the 28mm and I was smitten at first click. On my recent trip to Santa Barbara, I stopped by Samy’s Camera before the wedding and bought the lens.

What can I say? I’m a sucker for things that make me say Oooh 🙂

1. david baxter

June 28th, 2007 at 6:54 pm

…ooooh. so jealous. please post some of your work with your new baby!

2. Jen Harris

June 28th, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Oooh…I’m right there with you!

3. [ b ] e c k e r

June 28th, 2007 at 8:57 pm

jazzy, that is a sick lens, but please do me a favor and take that cheap filter off of it. nothing cuts down sharpeness like filters. it really doesn’t do that much for you. if you drop the lens most likely it will be jacked up anyway.

4. Melissa McClure

June 28th, 2007 at 9:04 pm

oh girl, you just ignited my jealousy bug!

5. Jasmine*

June 28th, 2007 at 9:06 pm

[b]…my grandmother draped her sofas with plastic covers, my mother covered our car seats with towels to avoid stains…as you can see, I hail from a long line of worry-warts. Hence the filter. Perhaps if I’m feeling brave enough, I may take off the filter. How ’bout this: I take off the filter, you say no to Diet Coke for a week. Game? 😉

6. Fred Egan

June 28th, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Greatness-I love my 24mm prime…killer stuff-glad you love it!

7. Amy

June 28th, 2007 at 10:17 pm

I’ve been wanting this lens too! The 16-35 is one of only 2 zooms I own and it makes me so mad sometimes. For how much it costs, it should be able to do cartwheels, but it lacks that sharpness you get with a prime. The 28mm has been patiently waiting its turn on my "to-buy" list 🙂

8. Shy

June 28th, 2007 at 11:11 pm

The smell of wet pavement? hmmmm… That’s odd..haha But I guess I can’t give you too much of a hard time because I get excited over SPARKLY cement! 😉

9. Christopher Grisanti

June 28th, 2007 at 11:56 pm

I agree with [b]. Many years ago, I couldn’t figure out why my sexy 70-200 2.8 wasn’t sharp. As soon as I dumped the filter. . .ZAP! Razor sharp. C’mon, you can do it1

10. Angel Barnes

June 29th, 2007 at 12:40 am

i would love to see some more pics posted using this lens 🙂 how fun!

11. Heather Cole

June 29th, 2007 at 2:09 am

What a great lens! I loved your pictures at the workshop so good purchase!!

Miss you.

12. Evan Laettner

June 29th, 2007 at 4:45 am

Jasmine, Your work is looking great. Prime lenses rule

13. Meg

June 29th, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Yeah…prime lenses pretty much rock! I have a 28 too and I love it. My favorites are also the 50 and the 85mm. Those three are the top 3 I use when shooting. Prime lenses make you move more to get the shot too…less lazy! I think of it as lenses that have a dual purpose…one – you create cool pics- and two- you burn more calories while shooting with them ;o)

14. Heather

July 2nd, 2007 at 1:27 am

I’m so intrigued about this lens. But I can’t find it on the Canon website. What f-stop is yours and where can I find one?

15. Tiffany

July 2nd, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Hi~ Jasmine ~ Is this the 1.8mm lens, or 2.8? 🙂

16. Jasmine*

July 2nd, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Hi Heather and Tiffany! It’s the 28mm, 1.8 and I bought mine at Samy’s Camera in Santa Barbara, but you can find one pretty much anywhere on the Internet…I hope this helps! 🙂

17. Tiffany

July 3rd, 2007 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Jasmine~
    I just ordered this from Adorama~ 🙂 Thank you for being so kind and sharing your tips!! 🙂 It is very appreciated!

18. meg

July 3rd, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Hi jasmine, what kind of Hoya filter did you put on that? Do you recommend using a polorizer?

19. Jasmine*

July 5th, 2007 at 1:11 am

Hi Meg! I don’t use a polarizer so I guess I wouldn’t recommend one…and I highly doubt you want to know what filter I’m using after reading Becker’s admonishment below!! 😉

20. meg

July 5th, 2007 at 7:27 pm

He He…too funny! Well thanks for the VIP info!
    Great work…you rock!

21. Kay English

July 29th, 2009 at 1:47 am

Ooohh mama!!! I never tried that lens before. Was it so awesome? I noticed there’s a Hova filter… do you use them on your lenses now?