Things That Make You Say Oooh

Things That Make You Say Oooh

Personal

The smell of wet pavement. A bouquet of flowers just because. A homecooked meal. Anything Godiva.

These are the things that make me say Oooh.

One thing that shall be added to the aforementioned list is this baby:

While in Seattle last week for the Anti-Workshop, I was fortunate enough to borrow Jessica’s 28mm lens. I’ve been shooting almost exclusively with prime lenses and it’s radically changed the way I see weddings and the images I’m producing. I love my 50mm and my 85mm, but when I wanted to go wide, I’d turn to my 16-35, 2.8, but it sometimes left me wanting more–more crisp, more sharp, more of a fall-off.
Most of the images I submitted for our final group project was shot on the 28mm and I was smitten at first click. On my recent trip to Santa Barbara, I stopped by Samy’s Camera before the wedding and bought the lens.

What can I say? I’m a sucker for things that make me say Oooh 🙂

comments

1. david baxter -

…ooooh. so jealous. please post some of your work with your new baby!

6.28.07 - 6:54 pm

2. Jen Harris -

Oooh…I’m right there with you!

6.28.07 - 7:24 pm

3. [ b ] e c k e r -

jazzy, that is a sick lens, but please do me a favor and take that cheap filter off of it. nothing cuts down sharpeness like filters. it really doesn’t do that much for you. if you drop the lens most likely it will be jacked up anyway.

6.28.07 - 8:57 pm

4. Melissa McClure -

oh girl, you just ignited my jealousy bug!

6.28.07 - 9:04 pm

5. Jasmine* -

[b]…my grandmother draped her sofas with plastic covers, my mother covered our car seats with towels to avoid stains…as you can see, I hail from a long line of worry-warts. Hence the filter. Perhaps if I’m feeling brave enough, I may take off the filter. How ’bout this: I take off the filter, you say no to Diet Coke for a week. Game? 😉

6.28.07 - 9:06 pm

6. Fred Egan -

Greatness-I love my 24mm prime…killer stuff-glad you love it!

6.28.07 - 9:21 pm

7. Amy -

I’ve been wanting this lens too! The 16-35 is one of only 2 zooms I own and it makes me so mad sometimes. For how much it costs, it should be able to do cartwheels, but it lacks that sharpness you get with a prime. The 28mm has been patiently waiting its turn on my "to-buy" list 🙂

6.28.07 - 10:17 pm

8. Shy -

The smell of wet pavement? hmmmm… That’s odd..haha But I guess I can’t give you too much of a hard time because I get excited over SPARKLY cement! 😉

6.28.07 - 11:11 pm

9. Christopher Grisanti -

Jasmine,
    I agree with [b]. Many years ago, I couldn’t figure out why my sexy 70-200 2.8 wasn’t sharp. As soon as I dumped the filter. . .ZAP! Razor sharp. C’mon, you can do it1

6.28.07 - 11:56 pm

10. Angel Barnes -

i would love to see some more pics posted using this lens 🙂 how fun!

6.29.07 - 12:40 am

11. Heather Cole -

Jasmine,

What a great lens! I loved your pictures at the workshop so good purchase!!

Miss you.

6.29.07 - 2:09 am

12. Evan Laettner -

Jasmine, Your work is looking great. Prime lenses rule

6.29.07 - 4:45 am

13. Meg -

Yeah…prime lenses pretty much rock! I have a 28 too and I love it. My favorites are also the 50 and the 85mm. Those three are the top 3 I use when shooting. Prime lenses make you move more to get the shot too…less lazy! I think of it as lenses that have a dual purpose…one – you create cool pics- and two- you burn more calories while shooting with them ;o)

6.29.07 - 1:28 pm

14. Heather -

I’m so intrigued about this lens. But I can’t find it on the Canon website. What f-stop is yours and where can I find one?

7.2.07 - 1:27 am

15. Tiffany -

Hi~ Jasmine ~ Is this the 1.8mm lens, or 2.8? 🙂

7.2.07 - 10:28 pm

16. Jasmine* -

Hi Heather and Tiffany! It’s the 28mm, 1.8 and I bought mine at Samy’s Camera in Santa Barbara, but you can find one pretty much anywhere on the Internet…I hope this helps! 🙂

7.2.07 - 10:35 pm

17. Tiffany -

Thanks Jasmine~
    I just ordered this from Adorama~ 🙂 Thank you for being so kind and sharing your tips!! 🙂 It is very appreciated!

7.3.07 - 4:42 pm

18. meg -

Hi jasmine, what kind of Hoya filter did you put on that? Do you recommend using a polorizer?

7.3.07 - 8:39 pm

19. Jasmine* -

Hi Meg! I don’t use a polarizer so I guess I wouldn’t recommend one…and I highly doubt you want to know what filter I’m using after reading Becker’s admonishment below!! 😉

7.5.07 - 1:11 am

20. meg -

He He…too funny! Well thanks for the VIP info!
    Great work…you rock!

7.5.07 - 7:27 pm

21. Kay English -

Ooohh mama!!! I never tried that lens before. Was it so awesome? I noticed there’s a Hova filter… do you use them on your lenses now?

7.29.09 - 1:47 am